The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2002, 04:05 PM   #1
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Time Magazine has T.T. as cover story!

I case you haven't seen it on the newstands yet. <I>Time</I> magazine has featured The Two Towers on their cover. <P>And in case you don't want to shell out the dough for the magazine (or for our overseas readers), here's the link to the articles online: <A HREF="http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101021202/story.html" TARGET=_blank>Time's Two Towers articles </A><P>Enjoy! And Happy Thanksgiving, Men (and Women) of the West!<p>[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 04:14 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Well, according to the timestamp on your post, I found these about 3 minutes after you did....lol.<P>In "Feeding on Fantasy", why did that stupid writer keep calling everything modern "Mugglish"??? That's so annoying!<P>And <I>Narnia</I> movies coming? Something cool, or a flop that's trying to feed off the success of <I>Rings</I>? No one will know....<P>C'mon, humbug (all you Spanish students will understand). I think I'm gonna move to Minnesota and join the SCA.
Old 11-27-2002, 05:13 PM   #3
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bird,<P>I was coming through the supermarket line yesterday carrying a large turkey when I saw Frodo Baggins staring at me from the cover of Time.<P>Needless to say, I came away from the store with one turkey and one magazine.<P>Did you see the related article called "Feeding on Fantasy"? I had very mixed feelings about that one. Some interesting insights, but also some crass oversimplifications. I'm tempted to give some quotes and start a question on this in Novices and Newcomers.<P>sharon
Old 11-27-2002, 05:20 PM   #4
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I actually have not read it yet, but the premise seems a bit thin to me. Tolkien has had legions of fans for over 50 years, and well-made (I stress <I>well-made</I>) fantasy films have always done well at the box office.<P>But I'll reserve judgement and post more on this after I've actually read the article later tonight.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 06:14 PM   #5
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Very cool. Thankyou for the link!
Old 11-27-2002, 07:20 PM   #6
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I read both articles at the library where I work. I rolled my eyes much throughout that Feeding on Fantasy story, but this in particular caught my attention:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Many young Americans are involved in the stories in a way that I'm not," he once remarked about his fans—or as he called them, "my deplorable cultus." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>How nice. Well, I knew he (Tolkien, of course) thought that way from reading his "Letters". But still...<P>"Entertainment Weekly" also had a recent cover story about TTT. Elijah Wood looks <I>really</I> comical on the front. Ah ho ho, I always appreciate a good laugh on a Monday morning at work.<p>[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 11-27-2002, 09:34 PM   #7
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Yes! Just got it today. Mom was going to the store and I went with her (which I usually never do) and got it.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 03:36 PM   #8
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I've also seen the magizine and also have bought it. I saw it and all I could say was.."ohh so pretty..." I couldn't resist. <BR>Also Elijah and Liv were on the cover of Entertainment Weekly, had to buy that one too.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 09:22 PM   #9
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm making comments as I'm reading, so bear with me...<P>Lure of the Rings:<BR>Arrgg, I hate how they said that "Americans are becoming obsessed with fantasy". I've been obsessed with fantasy ever since I could read, which was early ^^<P>Feeding on Fantasy:<BR>Yeah, saying "Muggles" did not make me happy. As I've said on other threads, you can't compare them! But alas, I stray. Star Trek: Nemesis is obviously not going to make as much money, but this Lev guy is making it sound as if it's terrible (DO NOT diss Star Trek, people). <BR>I like the football fan point ^^ <BR>No way, they're going to make movies out of His Dark Materials!! Shibbin'!<BR>Why do we Americans play ourselves up so much? We're not carrying a Ring! We're not the only superpower!<BR>And yes, Frodo lives...<P>That was exhausting to read. What is it with us American people? And why does LotR have to have minorities in it? It does! The Southrons with their Oliphaunts!! Heh. People are the same no matter what their skin color... there are good people and bad people all over the world.
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 09:37 PM   #10
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Before I left on the plane to take me back home over the holidays I bought the issue at the Minneapolis airport. I didn't even read it until the long drive to my doctor wednesday. <P>I made a thread about how in this article it says <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The director readily admits that of his three films, Two Towers departs most from Tolkien's work. "We were aware that we were making films for the hard-core Tolkien fan base as well as everyone else," says Jackson, who co-wrote the script with Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh. "In the beginning, it was a difficult tightrope to walk, but then we sort of abandoned thinking about it. If we make a good film, we'll be forgiven, whatever the crimes we commit to the book." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>ahhhh.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Arwen, the beautiful elf played by Liv Tyler, doesn't appear in the book. But in the film, Jackson has love scenes between her and Aragorn—a romance based on an appendix that Tolkien later wrote about their doomed relationship. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yet again....AHHHH<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Last September Boyens and Walsh composed a monologue for Sam, the hopeful hobbit played by Sean Astin, in which he urges Frodo to stick with his mission. "There is good in the world, and it's worth fighting for," says Sam. The writers first thought it was too corny. "Doesn't that sound like something George Bush would say?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hahahaha.<P><BR>I liked it. I can't find it though, I think my dad stole it.....
Old 11-30-2002, 09:55 PM   #11
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I read it, it was an amusing article but I'm always hesitant to take these things too much at face value when the journalist writing it doesn't have much more than a surface knowledge of what he's writing *about*. I kind of liked the George Bush bit actually, especially since the end of the paragraph was how they kept the speech in and it worked perfectly . (I wonder if we'll be able to spot it in the movie - AHA! The Bush speech!)<P>One quibble among many; what do they mean, Aragorn and Arwen's "doomed relationship"? They marry, live together happily for a long time, have children and as far as we never cease loving each other; sorry, when I think "doomed" I think Turin Turambar and Nienor Niniel, not Aragorn and Arwen. All right, so they die in the end. But using that criterion, every relationship that's ever taken place in the world is inherently doomed - after all, everyone in a relationship is eventually going to die, right?
Old 12-01-2002, 06:01 PM   #12
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Oh, they have articles on both computer games and Middle Earth itself in my dad's Computer Game magazine...ComputerWorld or something like that...so I guess Middle Earth Mania is everywhere now...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Viewers, beware. The Two Towers, the dazzling second installment of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, picks up exactly where the first one left off. No Star Wars-style scroll to bring you up to speed, no quick compilation of scenes from the first film, no opening Cate Blanchett narration—nothing. It begins in medias res, as though you had just stepped out for a few seconds to get more popcorn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That's good...I like that...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> For him, The Two Towers is not a sequel to The Fellowship of the Ring; it's simply the three-hour second act of an epic nine-hour trilogy called Lord of the Rings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>As well it should be, as the books were really one book originally...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But in the film, Jackson has love scenes between her and Aragorn—a romance based on an appendix that Tolkien later wrote about their doomed relationship. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'll take love to mean kissy-kissy...I hope...although we've established that's what they mean in the "a LOVE SCENE in THE TWO TOWERS???" thread...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Last September Boyens and Walsh composed a monologue for Sam, the hopeful hobbit played by Sean Astin, in which he urges Frodo to stick with his mission. "There is good in the world, and it's worth fighting for," says Sam. The writers first thought it was too corny.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yet is sounds so...Sam...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> They met at a screening of Jackson's first movie, 1987's Bad Taste, a gross-out horror flick about human-eating space aliens. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Missed that...although, it was the year I was born...Hey! what's with PJ and horror films?<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> GANDALF FOR PRESIDENT buttons appeared on wide late-1960s lapels, and FRODO LIVES was scrawled on subway cars. Led Zeppelin gave Gollum a shout-out in Ramble On. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Poo...missed that time period...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Like a sleepy Balrog in the depths of Moria, fantasy fever is stirring again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Good analogy...I'll have to remember that one...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In 1997, voters in a BBC poll named The Lord of the Rings the greatest book of the 20th century. In 1999, Amazon.com customers chose it as the greatest book of the millennium. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><I>Well</I>!!!<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But is all this fantasizing really good for us? Should we worry about all these strapping men poking each other with sharpened phallic symbols? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Why not? They are, after all, strapping young men...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Where are the women? ... the Fellowship is still as much a boys' club as Augusta National. And whiter too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Are they reading into it a bit too much? Maybe they should just enjoy it...and the rest of it is reading into it a bit too much as well...<P>Hmmm...on the "Who's Who", they only have about 8 pics and only 4 of them are in the Fellowship (Sam, Frodo, Gandalf, and Aragorn)...and the sum up "The Scenes" in 6 images of Eowyn, Arwen, Rohan soldiers, Saruman and Wormtongue, Sam, and some more Rohan people (making their way to Helm's Deep). They simplified the story a bit in the articles and all-together, didn't they? Oh well...made for some interesting reading...