Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #41
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
"Come along! We're already late!" said Hob's slightly agitated father.

"Well, it wasn't my fault, blame mummy!"

"Your hair was reaching your nose, it needed a cut, not to mention on your feet, it was practically dragging on the floor!" Argued Lilly. It was a fair argument, she didn't want her sons feet getting too heavy for him to walk because snow was getting caught in his hair.

"Yes yes yes, alright alright he needed a haircut, now let's get going."

"That's all very easy for you to say, you're not carrying anything."

"You forget, I have the beans." Hob's father waved a basket at him, it contained their contribution to the party's food.

"Anything?" Lilly hit her son playfully. "Is that what I am to you now? A thing?"

"Of course not mummy." Hob reached down and kissed his mother. "Now, are you wrapped up well?"

"Yes, I feel rather like a caterpillar in a cocoon, tuck me in any tighter and I won't be able to breathe." Hob picked his mother up, he would have preferred it more if he hadn't found it so easy to lift her. "I do hope I'm too heavy for you, it would pay back for all those times I had to carry you in from the garden when you'd fallen asleep outside."

They walked as quickly as possible to the party, they were lucky it was so close, if it wasn't then they wouldn't have bothered as Hob wouldn't have gone without one of his parents, but he wouldn't have let his mother gone because it would mean being out in the cold for too long and if his mother couldn't go then his father couldn't go otherwise his mother would be left alone at home. So all in all, it was best that the party was close.

They arrived mostly unnoticed, except for causing a small chill when they opened the door. Hob put his mother down on a chair, she had made it without coughing once and Hob took that as a good omen. Hob's father disappeared through a crowd and returned moments later with plates of food, one for each of them, during the past summers, Hob would have dismissed these plates of food as snacks, barely enough for elenvensies, but now they were a feast. All three of them did nothing but eat for a few minutes until they had each eaten enough to be able to talk at the same time.

"Hob dear, you can sit and talk to us all the time at home, and you do, why not go meet someone you will be travelling with, get a headstart."

"You're mother's right, as always. Go and talk to someone else, possibly your own age. As much as we might look, we're not young." Hob paused in his eating and thought. He didn't want to make friends, they always died, and what if he died? Then he'd just cause his friends grief. But he saw reason in his parent's words, if he didn't get to know them now, he'd get to know them later. He took a deep breath, kissed his mother and father and walked to a group of people sitting scross the room.

"He looks like he's getting ready to jump into the Brandywine." observed Hob's father.

"Leave him alone, he's had a hard time."

"We all have, my love." Their conversation was cut short by a short spurt of coughing, followed by a long drink.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:32 AM   #42
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Fool Of A Took has just left Hobbiton.
Cedric took farewell of Madoc by the door and they decided to meet tomorrow so they could walk together. He grinned and stood watch him walk away for a while. He then yawned and decided that he might should go too soon. It was getting late, yet he really wanted to hear more of old Gamgee's stories and tips for them. He could see that Hob had arrived together with his parents. He grinned to Hob and sat down beside him. "Im just going to say hello!" he said and grinned, "I am about to leave now!" He rose up and shouted "Good night everyone! Im off now, thank you for a wonderful party!" He walked to his mother and whispered "Are you coming? Or will you stay?" His mother that thought that the party was wonderful, especially the pumpkin pie she said with a grin, so she decided to stay for a while. He turned and grabbed his coat by the door. He shut the door behind him and started to make his way home. The snow was heavy and it was colder now. He shrugged and he had the thought that a warg would jump out just infront of him and maybe eat him. He began to ran a little and was almost home.

He slammed the door behind him and ran into his living room and lighted a fire. There is no wargs here now! There is no wargs here now, he repeated for himself in his mind. He heard a hard pounding on his door. He screamed in fear of wargs and ran and grabbed a torch. He remembered that Gaffer had told him that wargs were afraid of fire. "Go away, you warg!" he shouted and tried to sound brave. "Cedric?" he could hear his mothers muffled voice outside say. She grinned at him as he opened. He realized that he stood on his doorstep thinking there was wargs outside. He felt really dumb. He threw the torch in the fire and his mother sat down in a chair beside the fireplace. As he thought of it now, wargs wouldn't probably knock on the door. He shook his head and sat down beside his mother ni an armchair.

"I want you to take care of you now." his mother slowly began.

"I will, don't worry about me!" Cedric replied.

"I know you don't like when I say this, but do you really have to go? You are all that I got! I don't want to lose you!" she said with complain in her voice.

"Enough of this!" Cedric yelled and rose up. "I can take care of myself, now please leave, mother."

"As you wish." his mother replied and didn't say another word. He could see she was in verge of tears and she just ran out and slammed the door behind her. Cedric drew a deep sigh of relieve and leaned back in his chair and stared into the heart of the fire. He yawned and thought about going to bed. He rose and walked into his bedroom. The soft pillow, his warm bed. He would miss his home. He yawned again and closed his eyes and fell into deep sleep.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:10 AM   #43
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Merimac was enjoying the party. He had to keep reminding himself not to eat too much. It seemed strange to him that soon he would be out in the wild with the other brave hobbit adventurers, fending off wolves and who knows what else. It was quite a way into the party, and Meri had been talking with some old friends he hadn't seen in a while, when a draft of freezing cold air caused him to turn to the door. It was Hob! Meri hadn't seen Hob around for a while. Seeing that Hob was with his parents, Meri waited a while before he tried to catch his eye and call him over. When Hob turned in his direction, Meri waved and called him over.

"Haven't seen you for a long time Hob," said Meri. "Been looking after your parents?"

"That's right," said Hob. "This winter's taken its toll on them both."

Meri paused before he said anything else. He hadn't seen his parents very much during the long winter - they lived on the other side of the Shire. He decided he'd visit them before the journey, if he had time, just in case... just in case he did perish. "Do you think we'll all survive?"

"I hope so," replied Hob.

Meri decided it best not to talk of such dire things, and so he and Hob spoke with the other young hobbits, telling any cheerful tales they knew. But if the conversation slowed at any point, Meri's thoughts quickly reverted back to thinking of the journey ahead. It would be long and treacherous, Meri knew that, but he would do his best to make it there and back again.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #44
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Melody enjoyed the party extremely, but it was time to go home. She needed an early nights sleep in her warm bed; probably the last good nights sleep she would get in a while. Melody walked over to Tom, he was talking to an older hobbit in a corner, “Tom, I am going to go home now. I think you should come too, you need an early night as much as I do!” Melody said. Tom excused himself and they both thanked everyone for the amazing farewell party. Many hobbits hugged them and bid them farewell, many with tears in their eyes. Melody felt sad saying goodbye to everyone and she felt heavy hearted. What if this is the last time I see any of these amazing people Melody questioned herself. She wiped the thought out immediately because it was crazy to be thinking such thought. They smiled once more and opened the door. The wind blew the snow into the room; it was a strong wind, the strongest Melody had seen. Tom put his coat on Melody once again and they both walked out the door. Melody held onto Tom, worried she might blow away with the wind.

They both arrived at Melody’s house. They stood looking at her house once more, there was no conversation, no sound only the wind blowing in the trees. “Would you like to come in for tea?” Melody asked, breaking the silence. Tom looked at Melody, “Uh” he paused, “I think I better go home, I still have one or two things to pack.” Tom smiled. “Ok well, I will see you early tomorrow then! We will be leaving at dawn.” Tom added. He leaned forward and kissed Melody on the cheek, “Good night Tom” Melody said trying to smile, but Tom was not fooled he could see how scared Melody was. He nodded and walked off. Melody stood holding on to a the balcony railing as she watched him walk off into the distance; soon there was nothing but white, not even a small figure in the distance. She stepped inside and lit a fire to warm the cold house up. Melody checked her bags once more, making sure she didn’t forget anything important then she climbed into bed realising that she wouldn’t be climbing into anything so warm or soft in a long time. “Good night house, good night bed, good night my lovely dancing fire” she said before falling into a deep sleep.

Last edited by Niluial; 02-15-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:18 PM   #45
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The snow was beginning to fall heavily as Madoc neared home. The lantern he’d brought was of no use, its light falling on the thick curtain of white showed barely a step in front of him. To his right, a pale hazy yellow blur peeked through the windblown snow, winking at him. Gaffer Heathertoes, house, he reckoned, thinking he had probably come the right distance for it to be so. He turned toward the beckoning light, hoping to find some shelter within until the snow let up.

He trudged through the snow, his head down against the driving clumps of flakes. For a moment, the little beacon was lost, and he stood shivering in the folds of his cloak wondering if he would not be found until the thaw came. But there it was again! He fixed his gaze on it and soon found himself on the snow drifted step before the door. He rapped loudly on the icy wood of the door, and was surprised when it swung open to him.

It was not the wizened face of old Hob that greeted him, but the face of one he had not seen in a long time. Fairlight Heathertoes . . . no, not Heathertoes, but Bracegirdle, he reminded himself – having married a lad from Girdley Island several years ago. ‘Come in,’ she said smiling at him, her brown eyes twinkling at him in the way he remembered. ‘My father will be glad to see you, Madoc.’ Her voice was light, and he stood in the entry way bemused by it. She took his cloak and shook the snow from it in a quick gesture, then pulled him inside by the arm and closed the door firmly. Madoc watched as she hung it on a peg by the door.

Fairlight took him by the arm, leading him into the small parlour, where Hob sat wrapped in a thick quilt, his chair pulled near the small woodstove. ‘Come in laddie,’ the Gaffer said, his wrinkled face rearranging itself into a smile of welcome. A chair was pulled up, and Madoc sat down, his feet now propped on the fender of the stove. Fairlight put a mug of hot tea in his hands, then refilled the mug her father held.

For a while, it was only the sipping of the honeyed tea that was heard against the hiss and pop of the logs in the stove. Madoc, now warmed up, looked about the room and then asked where Tomlin, Fairlight’s husband, might be. Fairlight’s face grew pale and she looked down at her feet. The Gaffer patted her hand, murmuring, ‘There, there lass . . .’, then turned to Madoc to explain that just a few weeks ago Tomlin had been killed while out hunting. Orcs it seemed had come south, and roamed near the Brandywine seeking food. Tomlin was just clearing his traps when he had been attacked and savagely killed. Fairlight had packed up what little they had and made her way home to Tuckburrough. ‘Goin’ to be staying with me a spell,’ he told Madoc. ‘Sorting things out, she is.’

Madoc’s gaze turned to Fairlight, the illumination from the stove’s front grate glinting off her golden curls. Her fair face was sorrowful in relief as she stared at the flickerings of the flames. Madoc’s heart lurched in his chest as he studied her. He had been too late to court her he remembered, though his mother and sister had pushed him to step forward. ‘Not the time to be thinking of yourself, Madoc,’ he told himself firmly, pushing such thoughts away from him. Leaning a little across the Gaffer, he murmured softly to her. ‘So sorry, Fairlight, for your loss. He was a good man, Tomlin was.’ Fairlight nodded her head, a whispered thank-you closing the topic.

It was the Gaffer who changed the subject, wanting to know why Madoc was out in the snow and so late. Madoc filled him in on the journey to Bree that was to begin tomorrow, and that he intended to go. Talk of the route and who was going carried on from there, with the Gaffer asking if Madoc was bringing his wagon. ‘Sorry to say, but no,’ answered the younger Hobbit. ‘The front axle is broken and I haven’t found the time to fix it yet.’

A shushed conversation followed between Fairlight and her father, with the Gaffer nodding his head at whatever Fairlight was saying. She laid her hand on her father’s arm, saying ‘Go ahead ,then,’ she urged him. ‘It’s yours to offer.’

Old Hob leaned over to Madoc and said with a laugh, ‘Well it’s settled then, isn’t it laddie? What the lass says makes sense to me.’ Madoc looked questioningly at the old fellow, awaiting further explanation. But the Gaffer had picked up his mug and sat sipping at it contentedly.

‘What my father means to tell you, Madoc,’ Fairlight filled in, ‘is that he would be happy to let you borrow the big haying wagon in the barn. Not much use for it at present, is ther? And he keeps it in good condition – the wheels are greased, the nuts and bolts all tightened, the axles strong. You can bring back plenty of supplies in it.’ She looked thoughtful and then added, ‘Of course you’ll need to take the two big ponies to pull it – Rocky and Nettle. There’s still hay in the barn, you can pile it on the wagon for food for them.’ She looked over at him, a smile dimpling her cheek. ‘Let us help, won’t you? In whatever way that we can.’

Madoc accepted the offer with great thanks and plans were made for him to pick the wagon up early the next morning. The snow, seen through the small window in the parlour, had lightened. And Madoc, wanting to see his family before he left, said that he should go. Fairlight walked him to the door, and it was while he fastened his cloak about his neck that he spied the bow and quiver propped in the shadowed corner. ‘Tomlin’s hunting bow,’ she offered in explanation, noting his gaze lingering on it. ‘I couldn’t leave it behind, though neither of us,’ she said nodding toward her father, ‘will ever use it.’

Madoc said nothing, only opened the door, and waved to her and the Gaffer as he stepped into the snowy light. ‘We’ll see you, then, tomorrow,’ he heard her clear voice call out to him as he made his way down the snow-crusted path. He turned, seeing her figure highlighted in the light that streamed out from behind her. Then the door closed; the light disappeared.

And Madoc found his tread a little lighter as he headed home . . .
Old 02-16-2004, 04:02 PM   #46
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
When it seemed the party was coming to an end, Ivy decided she had best go home and get as decent of a rest as she would be able to before the journey. She quickly said her goodbyes, and slipped out quietly into the cold. This time, as Ivy walked to her hole, she managed to resist the temptation of going to the river once more. Not this time... just leave me in peace for a night. she said to her feelings, and trudged on home.

As soon as she had arrived at her home, she lit the fire, and climbed into her bed, not wanting to think of anything else that night until the morning's light. She tossed and turned uneasily in her bed, trying to make herself fall asleep, but only suceeded in lying awake listening to the crackling sound of the fire as it died down. She sighed, and tried to close all thoughts from her mind, to be as careless as she generally was, and it seemed for a moment that she had reached that point. And at this moment, Ivy drifted off into slumber haunted by horrible dreams.

The warg closed in on Ivy, who yelped and tried to move. She was surrounded. Everywhere around her were the lifeless bodies of her companions. Surely she was not the only one left alive?

'Melody!' she cried out, hoping that her best friend had not perished with the others. A muffled cry came out as if in attempted reply, and Ivy was certain it was Melody. She was alive yet!

'Melody! Run!!' Ivy found herself yelling, but was met with the sound of a blood-curdling scream, and sobbing. Ivy heard Melody sobbing over Tom's broken body, and soon Ivy heard the sound she dreaded most. Vicious snarling and then utter silence. She peered out from behind the tree which was her only protection, and saw that Melody was lying on the ground, wounded, or even worse, dead.

Without thinking, Ivy ran out into the open towards Melody, and began dragging her to safety, but the warg jumped in front of her. Snarling, it opened it's foul mouth and lunged towards her...

Startled Ivy awoke, gasping for breath as if she had been held under water for quite some time. She looked out her window to see the sun climbing in the sky.

'Oh no! I'm late!' Ivy shouted as she quickly got out of bed and got dressed. She didn't bother with breakfast that morning, but simply grabbed her coat, and her pack to take on the journey and ran all the way to Tom's house.

She knocked the door lightly, and was answered by Tom, who was a bit startled to see her out of breath, and bade her come inside. 'I'm sorry, Tom. I had a horrible dream and - well, that's not important. Are the others here?' she ranted as she saw a few of the others already there, looking anxious for the rest to come.

Ivy sunk into a chair and looked around at the others. At last it seemed her sense of adventure came about her, and a smile spread across her face. At last! I'm going on a real adventure! She found it next to impossible to contain her excitement.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:16 AM   #47
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Madoc rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He was still tired; it had been a short night – spent talking with his mother and sister, and finishing up the packing of just a few more articles of clothing to take with him to keep warm. Now that morning had come, his sister saw him off with a brave smile, but his mother was crying, and it broke his heart to leave her so. He glanced back once at the two of them standing in the doorway, and saw Prisca put her arm around their mother and guide her into the house. With a heavy sigh, he adjusted his scarf and pulled his cape closer about him and walked a little faster.

Prisca had not been able to loan him her bow. The tip had broken the last time she strung it – the wood was brittle from the cold; and she had not had the time to repair it. Ah, well he still had his sling and walking stick, and his skinning knife. They would have to do.

The sun was just peering over the rim of the horizon when he got to Gaffer Heathertoes' place. The old fellow was up and in the stable, seeing to the ponies. He stepped out as Madoc approached and waved him over. ‘I’ve got them harnessed for you laddie, just give me hand getting them and the wagon out the door.’ Madoc put his hand in the bridle near the nose band and led the pair out, while the Gaffer held wide the door. Fairlight had by this time come out of the door, a basket in her hand, and something wrapped in a piece of leather. She smiled at him, and he returned it in kind.

‘A few parcels of dried rabbit,’ she said, putting the basket up on the seat and some dried apples from our trees out back. Oh, and a small stack of journey cakes.’ She looked pensive then went on. ‘I used to make them for Tomlin when he went hunting.’

Madoc thanked her, and climbed into the seat. He took the brake off, and grasping the reins lightly in his hands gave a little cluck to the ponies to start off. ‘Wait,’ cried Fairlight, holding the leather wrapped bundle up to him. ‘I’ve something else for you.’ Madoc reached down and took the offered bundle. Curious to know what it was, he unwrapped it. It was a bow and a quiver of metal tipped hunting arrows. ‘They were Tomlin’s,’ Fairlight explained. ‘Use them well,’ she went on. Her voice dropped a little and he bent close to her to hear her next words. ‘Keep yourself safe . . . and come back.’

She stepped back before he could answer, and put her arms around her father. Smiling, they both waved to him as he started toward Tom’s house.

~*~*~*~*~

Tom was up and about when he arrived with the wagon. And several others of his fellow travelers had already gathered at the house. He set the brake on the wagon and greeted those already there. Tom introduced him to Ivy; Madoc had missed meeting her at the party. He noted she had her large filled pack by the chair where she was sitting. ‘Here,’ he said, ‘let me put that on the wagon for you.’ He raised his voice a little louder and spoke to the group that was gathered there. ‘I’ve brought a hay wagon from Gaffer Heathertoes. You can all throw your packs on when we leave. And if you get a little weary, holler up to me – I’ll slow the wagon and you can get on.’

From the corner of his eye, he saw Cedric come in the door. Madoc smiled and nodded to him . . .
Old 02-17-2004, 10:32 AM   #48
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Silmaril Morning...

The next morning, when they were leaving, hadn't been going as planned, or at least so far. All the things she had packed seemed to be gone. Or, Daisy couldn't find it. Then after eating breakfast, all worried, she had found the packings under the coffee table in the living room. She wondered how it had gotten there in the first place. She didn't have time to figure that out though. Then it was the though Good bye to her parents. She didn’t expect it to be that difficult. After all, she did expect to come back.....some day.

Her mother had been crying and begged her to stay, even though she knew perfectly well that Daisy and the others were the only hope to survive the winter. When they had finally let her walk out the door, all set and ready, Daisy noticed that she had forgotten the most important thing of all; her scarf that her mother had knitted for her. It could come in handy these cold days, and besides this was a long trip and you always needed to be prepared. Daisy therefore sneaked in again to get her scarf, which caused yet another good bye scene with some tears and laughter at the same time. Then the finally the last good bye kiss was given and Daisy hurried over to Tom's house.

The snow was deep, and the wind blew in her hair. She could also feel the snowflakes falling smoothly on her skin that wasn't covered by warm clothes.

"Hello there Tom..Ivy and Madoc" Daisy said as she approached them. She smiled as if it were some sort of holiday they were going on. When she noticed that, she tried to keep her mask straight. "Hello," Ivy replied, she smiling as well.

The snowing had stopped now, but the wind was still giving her a shiver now and then. She tried not to think about the weather, and about the trip, but it seemed impossible. "Er...so Ivy...Are you...excited?" she asked and blushed. This was maybe a wrong question for the situation. But Ivy nodded a little, and grinned. "Well...it's probably going to be dangerous...and hard...." Ivy then muttered. "Yes, I know." Daisy said and shook her head. "I'm a bit anxious myself." she added.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:32 PM   #49
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Morning at Cedric's house...

Cedric woke up and slowly rose up. He fumbled after his slippers and rubbed his eyes. He then remembered his little fuss with his mother. He hated when he and his mother were mad at each other. He mumbled something unhearable and went out to the kitchen. And by the way he could see his backpack stand ready by his outer door. He sighed and continued into the kitchen. The weather seemed a little better today, but still the endless snow. He was so irritated about it. He slammed with the cupboard doors and the porcelain as he made breakfast. He sat down in a chair with a hard, dry piece of bread with very little butter on and just one slice of cheese.

He sat and tried to eat it while waited for his tea. At the moment he wasn't so hungry. He had other problems to think of. His mother for example, he didn't want to leave her while they still were mad at each other. The problem was that he didn't now what to say. He finished his bread and drank a little tea. He had ration the tea, so it barely tasted anything so he just drank the half. He didn't have time to dish so he left it as it was. He thought that if he one day would come home again he would take care of that problem. Then he maybe would be happy that he just had to worry about dishing and not survival.

He went out to see if he had forgotten anything to pack that he needed for the journey. He packed up everything and checked. Then packed down everything again. He stretched his back and looked around and tried to remember where he put his walking stick. The finest he ever had. It was made in sturdy oak and he had owned it since as long as he could remember. Then he remembered something that he shouldn't forget, his hunting bow and dagger. He went into his bedroom and sat down with a thud.

He looked under his bed and pulled out a big chest. He sneezed of all the dust. He snuffled and then fumbled up an old, rusty key out of his pocket.He slowly opened the wooden chest and removed blanket who covered all the things under it. He picked up a hunting bow with a few arrows. He studied it and laid it beside him. He had trained archery a lot for a while, just for fun. He picked up a dagger. The only thing he had left from his father. He pulled it out of it's sheath. He let his fingers touch the blade and he then stood up and swinged it a little in the air. It shined in the air and at that moment Cedric felt really proud of that he had such a nice dagger. He also took up a very small knife that he kept inside inner pocket of his vest. It could become useful, he thought.

He pulled back the chest under his bed. He went out to the hall again and fastened his hunting bow at the outside of his backpack and his dagger in his belt. He put on his warmest coat and cloak, and then he grabbed his walking stick by the door step and walked out of his hole. He slowly closed the door and felt how the sorrow of leaving came to him. His heart sank and so did his mood. With a heavy heart he locked the door and put the key in his pocket. For maybe the last time he waved to Crystal who sat in her kitchen eating her poor breakfast. He really thought she was cute and many times he blushed when she smiled to him and said hello.

He decided to go to his mother first. He trudged through the snow to his mothers hole. He knocked very gentle on her door and said "Mother?" He heard footsteps coming closer to the door and then she slowly opened the door. He smiled to her and she didn't look angry today. "Mother!" he said and hugged her. They stood there on her doorstep and hugged each other for a long while. His gaze got blurred of all the tears and he could hear his mother cry loudly. "Now you be careful, laddie" she said and snuffled. Cedric dried his tears with the back of his hand and said "Don't worry mother, I will see you again!" She brought something up from her pocket. "Here..." she said, "Have this on you journey, it will bring you luck, it was your fathers" She handed him a golden medallion. He grabbed it and held it close to his chest. Now he could barely hold his tears back. He tried to be strong and took a farewell of his mother with another hug. He turned and got out on the road and started to make his way to Tom's house.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:53 AM   #50
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

‘You can sit up here with me, Miz Tunnelly.’

Madoc jumped down from the wagon’s seat and took the pack from Estelle Tunnelly. He had seen her come trudging up the lane. Her raven locks were streaked with silver and glinted in the pale early morning light. She pulled her cloak close about her thin frame as she trudged determinedly through the snow, and her breath, misty white in the frigid air, wreathed her head in a ghostly manner.

With a smile of gratitude, she handed over her pack, watching as he stowed it securely just behind the long wooden seat of the wagon. ‘I’ll just keep this at hand,’ she said as he offered to put her bow with it. ‘Never know when it might come in handy!’ Madoc gave her a hand up to the seat and bade her pull up the large, thickly padded quilt his Ma had sent with him. ‘Enough for the both of us,’ he grinned as he pulled part of the quilt over his legs.

He saw a familiar mop of red curls come running down the icy path, slipping and sliding. It was Gorbadic, his pack banging against his back as he hurried along. ‘Wait up, cousin! I’m going, too!’ His steamy breath coming hard from his run, Gorbadic leaned against the wagon for a few moments, then threw his pack into it. ‘I’ll just tramp along for now,’ he said. ‘When my legs get tired, I’ll hop in back for a bit.’

In the distance, Madoc could just make out another figure trudging along. ‘Cedric!’ shouted Madoc, waving at the approaching Hobbit. ‘Good to see you!’ Madoc grinned at his new acquaintance. ‘Throw your pack in the back, there. And come on up if you want.’ Miz Tunnelly smiled down at Cedric, indicating there was plenty of room and quilt if he wished.

The crunch of iron bound wheels against the hard packed snow and ice heralded the approach of yet another fellow traveler . . .
Old 02-19-2004, 03:01 AM   #51
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It was Hob, pulling behind him a smaller cart that his father had managed to drag out from the garden shed. Hob himself was wearing all the warm clothes that he could and he had more in his pack, which he wore on his back. On the wagon were a few more blankets, and under them to keep it from freezing, was Hob's bow, another pack, smaller than the one on Hob's back was in the wagon and held as much food, mostly dried, that he'd dare take from his larder, which admittedly wasn't much, but it would still help.

"Hello there Hob!" Hob jumped and looked up, he'd been so intent on just walking, he'd not realised that he'd walked far enough. "I see you've brought your own cart." it was Madoc speaking.

"Good morning Madoc, everyone." he nodded in acknowledgement to everyone and they waved or smiled back. "Yes, but I'm afraid no one's going to be able to sit on it and rest like they can do on yours, which reminds me, I've also brought a couple of spades, I thought they might be useful."

"Good thinking!" said Madoc, surprised that he'd not thought of it himself. "Yes, we may need them if there's a large snowdrift on the road."

"Do you mind if I sit up the with you? Only I think this cart is more for two people to push than just the one." Asked Hob, and he was, of course, allowed to. He climbed up next to Estelle and seemed to sink back into his huge amount of clothing. He sighed and closed his eyes, he'd gotten up far too early this morning because he'd been to nervous to sleep, a little sleep here couldn't hurt.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:12 PM   #52
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Tom in the morning

Tom awoke early the next morning after the party, unlike the night before where he overslept. He got up at six o’clock to check that all things were ready for the trip and to make a few final touches to his packing. There was not much else to do so he made himself an extremely small breakfast which consisted of only two mushrooms.

Tom began to think more seriously about the journey ahead and the dangers that there could be. It wasn’t just Wargs and Orcs that he was worried about; he had heard that the East road to Bree was becoming icy and very slippery. And the cold weather itself could have been the death of the novice adventurers. He pondered these thoughts for some time when suddenly he heard a knock at the door which woke him up from his slight daydreaming. He opened the door revealing Cedric shaking in the cold weather with a huge bag on his back.

“Hullo Cedric come on in while we wait for the others to arrive,” Tom said as he invited him into his living room. He was just about to sit down again when he heard another knock at his door. “Err... Hang on just a minute while I get the door… Again,” He said as he once again walked to his front door. The hobbits now began to arrive one by one. Melody and Ivy and then the others came in. Madoc brought a wagon in which the hobbits could store their entire luggage.

Tom began throwing all the heavy bags upon the wagon and thanked Madoc for his help. After, Tom and Madoc trudged back through the snow into the house and looked and all the faces of the young hobbits about to embark on this great journey. Their faces looked worried and sad while, at the same time, excited and desperate.

After a slight pause Tom looked them all in the eyes. “Well…” He began. “If theirs n final things that anyone wants to do… then let us begin travelling.”
Old 02-19-2004, 01:36 PM   #53
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Melody woke up from her deep slumber. Remarkably she had a great nights sleep, she dreamt of far away places, hills, flowers, Ivy and Tom. Melody looked out the window and stretched out her arms and smiled. She climbed out of bed and looked outside; the snow was thick, thicker than it had been in a while. Wont be easy to travel in Melody thought. She was in no rush for her bags had been packed and all she needed to do was to put on warm clothes and a thick coat. She had baked a batch of muffins for everyone, for Melody knew all of the hobbits were anxious and probably hadn’t eaten anything for breakfast.

Melody walked into the entrance of her house and smiled at it, “I’ll be seeing you very soon!” she said. Melody wasn’t a pessimist she liked to look at the happy things in life and not think negative. She picked up her bag and the basket of fresh blueberry and poppy seed muffins. Melody opened the door; there was a slight cold breeze nothing like the night before! She closed the door and locked her house with a small golden key which she then hung around her neck. Melody’s heart sank; no one was there to bid her farewell. She wished to see her brother’s faces, why they would be green with envy. They loved adventures very much. If only Melody thought.

Melody walked into Tom’s warm house. Basically everyone was there, maybe one or two were missing. “Good morning!” Melody said cheerfully. Everyone looked at her as if she were insane; it was odd to see someone so happy and perky. Melody could feel the tension, worry and anxiety in the room. She placed her bag on the floor and put the basket on the table, everyone’s faced brightened up, “I thought it would make your day” Melody chuckled. Tom pulled out a chair for Melody and slightly smiled at her. Ivy sat next to Melody, she had a huge smirk on her face. Melody knew what the smirk was for; they were going on an adventure! Not one of their child adventures but a real one! Excitement shot through Melody’s body, a pure adrenalin rush.

Once they had all finished their tea and muffins they collected their bags and placed them on the wagon. One wagon would not be enough for all the supplies but Melody was sure the Bree folk would give them a wagon. Shire folks stood around watching them take off, a few tears were shed. Excitement filled the icy air and Melody could no longer feel the cold. [i]I wonder what this journey has install, what dangers… oh I can’t wait to find out[i] Melody thought happily.

Last edited by Niluial; 02-19-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:00 PM   #54
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Madoc checked the harnesses on the two ponies, making adjustments on Nettle’s bridle where it was a bit too tight. Rocky shook his mane as Madoc approached him, and stamped his hooves on the frozen ground. ‘Anxious to be off, are you, boy?’ Madoc crooned to him, rubbing the pony’s nose with his gloved hand. Nettle nudged the Hobbit in the back, wanting his due, and was rewarded with a few moment of scratching to the area between his ears.

Walking around to the back of the big hay wagon, he hopped up, pulling Gorbadic up after him. ‘Let’s get these packs stowed here, along the sides,’ he directed his cousin. ‘And those thick quilts that the villagers have lent us – pile them to that side. People can use them when they climb on the wagon for a rest.’ Gorbadic bent to the task while Madoc busied himself securing some things he had gotten at the Heathertoes’ place beneath the seat. A small stack of pitchy brands rolled up in canvas were shoved under the left side, and a bundle of long oak staves tied together with twine were secured along the right side of the wagon, their sharpened heads safely under the overhang of the wagon’s seat.

Madoc had brought a wooden chest from his cellar, and into it the Hobbits put the dried meats and fruits and vegetables they had been able to glean from their pantries, and the generous gifts of what food they could spare from the villagers. The chest fit nicely under the bed of the wagon, in a shelf there built to hold the food chest for the haying crew.

The Hobbits were all assembled now. Merimac being the last one to come running up the road. The day was clearing a bit, the snow had stopped and the morning sun shown a little brighter in the wintry sky. ‘Now there’s a good sign,’ said Gorby to his cousin. ‘If only the weather will hold til we get to Bywater.’

‘Bywater!’ said Madoc, a certain gleam in his eye. It was not often he traveled north, but when his business took him there he liked to stop in at the Green Dragon. ‘So we’re going north then,’ he said, turning to Tom, who stood near him. ‘I was afraid you would want to go across the Green Hill country. Too dangerous by half these days! The wolves there are as starved as we Hobbits. It will be safer passage for us to Bree along the Great East Road.’

Madoc climbed back up to the wagon seat. Miz Tunnely, seated between him and Hob, smiled up at him and threw a corner of the quilt over his legs. ‘Gorby is going to push your wagon along for now, Hob, if you don’t mind,’ said Madoc, picking the reins up in his hands. ‘He’s full of energy and wants to walk.’ He lowered his voice to a whisper and leaned in closer to his two seat mates. ‘Though if you ask me, he’s sweet on Daisy Waggot.’ Hob and Estelle turned round just in time to see Gorby pull the wagon up alongside Daisy and flash her big smile.

In the still frosty air, the breath from the ponies could be seen circling up to the overhang of leaves. They stamped their feet, jingling their harness. Eager to be off, one of them whinnied. Madoc released the brake on the wagon and flicked the reins lightly against their backs.

Melody, Tom, Ivy, Cedric and Merimac walked in front of the wagon. As did Gorby with Hobb’s hand wagon, his red curls bobbing as he chatted up Daisy. The ponies kept to a slow pace as they followed the group. Madoc, his eyes, looking to the lightly forested area on either side of the small road that led north spoke low to Hob. ‘Probably not a concern, yet,’ he began, ‘but could you keep a look out for movement in the trees as we go along. You, too, Miz Tunnelly. There are other creatures looking to feed themselves, same as us.’
Old 02-20-2004, 01:41 PM   #55
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Merimac had been one of the last to arrive before the group of brave hobbits set out for Bree. He had woken at a ridiculously early hour, though he hadn't slept much anyway, so that he could go and see his parents before he left. His old gaffer wished him luck and gave him some extra supplies: a bit of food, some rope (you never have rope when you need it) and a short bladed knife. Meri's eyes had opened wide when his gaffer handed him the weapon. It had been passed down in the family for at least two generations now. Meri only hoped he could return it safely.

Meri hadn't been very nervous at all, but now the journey had begun he was anxious for their safety. His worry was doubled when he overheard Madoc tell Hob to keep an eye out for movement in the trees. Meri almost began to panic, but he managed to calm himself down and tell himself there was nothing to worry about, yet. Cedric, who was walking next to him, seemed to notice Meri's near-panic, but shrugged and continued his conversation with Tom. Feeling left out of conversations, Meri dropped back and conversed with Hob, hoping that talking would make the journey seem less omnious.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:48 AM   #56
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Melody was rather tired now, for they had been journeying all morning. It was almost noon, a happy thought filled Melody’s mind; food. She had been trying her best to remain strong all morning trying to ignore the ice burning her, she was in much pain, as were the others! She had been thinking a lot as they were walking, about many things. Tom had spoken to her once or twice but he was in another world; a world filled with many worries and morbid thoughts.

Melody caught up to Tom and walked beside him “Hello you!” Melody said cheerfully. “Oh, hello” Tom smiled slightly. Melody looked ahead and spotted an open grass field, it was covered in snow with small patches of green grass sticking out, “perfect” Melody shouted out. Tom looked at her strangely “Uh, what?”
Melody blushed “uh, well there is a lovely field ahead!” Melody pointed to the field, “it would be a good idea to stop to rest our legs and have lunch there. By the looks of it we need to stop.” Tom nodded boldly and told everyone to stop there.

Melody handed everyone a bite of lembas, “I know it’s not much, but it’s just a nibble, we need to save our food!” Everyone nodded and agreed; they were happy to even see food. She watched everyone eat, a few were eating fast while others savoured each bite. Tom came and sat next to Melody “Are you ok?” he asked. Melody frowned, “Of course I am ok. Do you think I am weak or that I can’t endure as mush as you can!” Melody snapped, Tom looked startled and backed away. “Well your wrong Mr Bracegirdle!” She hissed, she stormed off to where Ivy stood nibbling on lembas.

Melody didn’t know what took over her then, she wanted to impress Tom and look bigger and stronger but was now acting childish and immature. Ivy looked at her caringly, a bit worried too. “Oh Ivy” Melody said with a huge sigh.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:38 AM   #57
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Three more hours brought them to the Great East Road. Madoc had never been to the Green Dragon Inn, so at the first opportunity he stopped at one of the little holdings near the crossroads and had Gorbadoc ask for directions. Gorby came running back, his breath misting in the cold air. ‘They said it was just up the path to the left, not very far at all.’ Gorbadoc climbed into the back of the wagon and making his way to the front of the wagon bed, leaned over the back of the seat. Edging his shoulders between Madoc and Estelle, he rubbed his cold hands together and pointed out the way to the Inn.

Madoc pulled the wagon into the Inn yard. The stable-boy came out and offered to see to the ponies. ‘You go into the Inn,’ he told Madoc and the other Hobbits. ‘Innkeeper’s got a nice little fire going. Warm you right up!’

Estelle was helped down by Gorbadoc, and he fetched her pack and his into the Inn. Madoc handed out the rest of the packs, then taking his own, tromped up the steps to the great door. He stomped his feet to knock the snow and dirt from them; then, gave his cloak a twitch to knock off the dust of the road from it. Pushing the door open, he stepped in quickly.

The Hobbit blinked as he stood in the entry way, letting his eyes adjust to the dimmer light in the Inn. Most of the Hobbits were standing near the fire, a serving girl passing among them passing out hot tea and mugs of ale. Madoc put his pack on the floor just inside the door, and taking off his cloak hung it on one of the pegs by the door. He was just moving off toward the fireplace, when a voice from one of the little booths near the wall spoke up.

‘Well, if it isn’t another Hobbit, come down the road to taste the Dragon’s ale!’ He motioned for Madoc to come over to the booth. ‘’From Tookland, I hear, laddie,’ said the old gaffer as he eyed Madoc. ‘Sit down, sit down, and rest your bones. Peony will bring us another pot of tea.’ One of the serving girls had come to the table with a kettle of hot water and filled up the pot. She took a clean mug from one of her apron pockets and plunked it down in front of Madoc.

‘Nice to see you all,’ she remarked, saying that they had had very few travelers in the past month. ‘Aye, that’s true,’ agreed the gaffer pouring them both a cup of tea. He pushed the small pot of honey toward Madoc, and leaned in confidentially toward him.

‘We did have one, though, just a few days ago. Came here from Frogmorton, he did.’ Peony shook her head at the gaffer’s words. ‘White as a ghost, he was,’ she whispered. ‘Said he’d run like the dickens the last few miles. Said he heard something following him.’ ‘Yes, and he told us he’d found tracks crisscrossing the road as he came west on it,’ the old fellow said.

Madoc frowned at their words. Tomorrow they would be on the road and going toward Frogmorton. It would take them several days to get to the Inn there – The Floating Log. He looked up at Peony, noticing that several of the other Hobbits from Tuckburrough had gathered round. ‘What sort of tracks?’ Madoc asked.

The gaffer took his pipe from his mouth and poked Madoc on the arm with it. ‘Looked like wolves . . . or so he thought . . .’

There were murmurings among the Tookland Hobbits at the old man’s words . . .
Old 02-25-2004, 03:25 PM   #58
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

At the Green Dragon...

“Wolves!” Tom cried as he walked towards the old Gaffer and Madoc who were already speaking with each other.

“Yes wolves,” stated the old gaffer looking at Tom. “Or so he said. The young traveller looked as white as a ghost so I doubt he was lying or just having a joke about it. But who knows for sure… You young Hobbits should be careful outside your homes. Who knows what dangers may lay ahead?” The Gaffer took a long puff of his pipe and a sip of his tea.

Tom turned and looked at the other Hobbits. They looked scared slightly, but Tom could tell that none of them would give up so easily after all the preparing for the journey. Tom turned back to the gaffer and sighed. “Ah well… I expected we would run into danger but I was hoping that it would not be so soon.”

Tom slumped into a chair next to Madoc and fell into deep thought. He could tell that the morale of all the hobbits was already falling and that was not a good sign. He thought that he should try to encourage all the Hobbits with a rousing speech, but he was never good at those sorts of things and the speech would probably have ended with him just giving up.

Tom rose out of his seat. “We must have some well earned rest soon as we have been travelling in the cold long,” he said to the other hobbits. “Here would be the best place to have. And, hopefully the wolves may have passed somewhere else when we actually reach their tracks tomorrow.” The hobbits nodded at Tom and they began to bring all of their things inside the inn. Tom went to the bar and booked the rooms and also decided to order dome ales and wines hoping it might make the hobbits feel slightly happier.

Tom looked at Melody who was bringing in her belongings. He wondered why she had snapped at him earlier and was led to believe that she was not really interested in him at all. All he wanted to do was make sure she was alright and she seemed to kick him away as if she didn’t want his company.

Tom paid Peony and walked out and grabbed his luggage from outside the inn and took it up to his room. As he made his way to the stairs he glanced across the room and saw that some of the Hobbits had already settled down in the inn and were drinking merrily with the gaffer. Tom hurried up and placed his belongings in his room and went back down to join the other Hobbits.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:45 AM   #59
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Melody threw down her belongings on the floor once she had reached her room. She looked around, the room was silent and cold, “Well this will do” she said to herself, as she rubbed her hands together to keep warm. Melody sat on a chair in her room and thought for a while. Wolves just the thought made her shudder. She had hoped that nothing too dangerous would pass their way and that hopefully they would all make it safely, but Melody knew that it wasn’t possible. She imagined the wolves’ fierce teeth, their strong bodies, there evil eyes looking for their next victim. Melody erased the thought from her head; she frightened herself with such detailed thoughts. She dug through her bag and took out her extra jersey which she put on. She decided to join the hobbits in the bar, for they were laughing so merrily like there was not one trouble in the world. Amazing,Melody thought actually typical, ale always makes one feel like nothing could go wrong.

She saw an empty seat next to Tom and walked over and sat in the chair. Melody still felt terrible about snapping at Tom earlier, it wasn’t right of her. She did plan on apologising but now was not the right time. The Hobbits spoke of happy times; fields, flowers, treasures, the Shire and they told many amusing stories. The tense anxiety had left the room and now a happy, joyful atmosphere filled the room. They lit the fire and sang songs; some danced, others just sat and watched. The lovely serving girl brought out some warm soup with a loaf of bread that had just come out of the oven. They all ate and felt warm and content, they forgot about the cold, the snow and the thought of the wolves nearby.

Melody looked at Tom, “Uh, Tom can I speak to you, outside?” Tom looked at Melody puzzled. He nodded and they walked outside, into the cold air but it wasn’t that cold, for their bodies were warm. “I need to apologise for earlier! I don’t know what came over me Tom. I… I, just… I wanted to look stronger than what I felt and the cold it was getting to me! I needed you to approve of me, I didn’t want to look weak and pathetic.” Melody looked at Tom fondly, and sighed.
“Oh Melody, I understand.” Tom said. They never spoke a word, they just listened to the laughter of the hobbits in the background and the wind blowing in the trees. Melody leaned forward and kissed Tom. Melody blushed at her actions and nervously said “Uh, its getting cold, um” she paused “we better get back inside” she laughed a nervous laugh. She quickly walked back inside but Tom did not follow her, he stood outside for a minute or so.

Melody excused herself from all the hobbits “it’s another day tomorrow and well I think I need my sleep.” With that she left the room and went to her room where she climbed into bed immediately. There were many blankets in the room, she piled them all on top of herself and tried to sleep. Melody thought about the journey, the wolves and about Tom. Slowly her eyes started to close, they were heavy, her body completely relaxed, her mind at peace, she fell into a deep slumber.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:13 AM   #60
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The table they were sitting at was near on of the Inn’s windows. The old gaffer was talking, embroidering his stories about wolves in the vicinity. It had gone from one lone wolf to packs of the yellow-fanged beasts roaming the countryside at will. The gaffer’s eyes twinkled as he talked, but the majority of the Hobbits gathered round him sat wide-eyed taking in every word.

Madoc noted that Tom had come back downstairs and nodded at him, sliding a chair out for him with his foot. He was there only a few moments when Melody came and sat next to him. ‘An interesting couple,’ he thought to himself. Madoc leaned back in his chair and watched the interactions between the two. There seemed to be a lot of tension and friction between the two at times. He wondered what was the cause of it.

His gaze drifted to the small table next to him. Some of the Hobbits from Tookland had gathered there. They wanted to be near enough to hear the gaffer’s stories. Gorby was there he noted – being very solicitous of Daisy Waggot. He had fetched her a drink and a little something to eat, and now sat near her, glancing shyly toward her when she made some comment to him. ‘Poor Gorby!’ Madoc chuckled as he saw his cousin’s face turn almost as bright a red as his hair when Daisy offered him a ‘thank-you’ for getting her a little extra jam for her bread. ‘Oh my! The poor lad has it bad for her!’

The curtains at the little window near his seat were open, and a movement outside the Inn caught his eye. He peered cautiously through the glass and spied another couple – Melody and Tom. They had left the table earlier, and now here they were. Outside . . . talking. Madoc’s eyes went wide. Not just talking . . . Melody had kissed Tom!

A few moments later, the still blushing Hobbit lass had come back into the common room and gone upstairs after saying goodnight to the others, while Tom remained outdoors, his breath misting in the frigid air. Madoc rapped on the window, drawing his attention. He held up his pint and motioned to Tom to come in and have another ale.

The gaffer by this time had run out of steam and stories and was yawning widely. He said good night to the group and waved at them as he went to his room. The group broke up into little groups of two’s and three’s and talked quietly among themselves. Tomorrow morning they would be on their way down the road toward Bree. Tonight they would be safe at the Green Dragon.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:45 PM   #61
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Silmaril

Daisy thought the Green Dragon was a quite nice Inn. The atmosphere was bright and relaxed. The only thing that bothered her now was the stories about the wolves. She had to admit it made her a bit scared, even thought she knew that nothing would happen to them as long as they were here. But outside these walls, almost anything could happen even Daisy knew that. She just hoped that this journey would be less fearful as they'd all expected, so that she could return home when they'd got the supplies they needed.

"Thank you.." Daisy said as Gorby approached her with a drink and something to eat. That was kind; she thought and took a bite. "Eh...you're welcome." Gorby said and seated down near her. Daisy had soon forgotten all about the danger that would come and about the wolves.

"So, is Madoc your cousin.....he is, isn't he?" Daisy asked after a little while. Gorby looked at her and nodded. "Yepp, he's my cousin," he said and smiled.

"Aren't you going to eat anything?" Daisy asked Gorby after yet another moment with silence. "You ought to eat something..." She said seeming a bit worried. "Yeah, that's probably a good idea;” he said and blushed. "I'll go and find something to eat, I'll be back in a moment," he said rose from his seat. He almost stumbled himself on to his feet, and was about to fall. He let out a tiny wine, before he managed to stand up properly. His red curly hair had blocked his view, or so it seemed. He brushed his hair away with his hands so that his small brown eyes appeared. "Are you a-alright..?" Daisy asked trying to keep a straight face. "Yes, of course." Gorby said weakly, seeming a bit embarrassed. "I just....ehm..Stumbled...that's all," he said and turned away.

"I'm going to get some food now..." He muttered and pointed towards the kitchen. "A-
alright.." Daisy said and smiled, while she took another bite of her bread.

When Gorby returned Daisy had finished up her own meal, but she sat with him while he was eating.

While she sat there she thought about the Hobbit sitting next to her. He was indeed a strange Hobbit, she thought and smiled. He seemed kind of nervous, didn’t he? Well, under the circumstances.... Anyway, there was something special about this young Hobbit, Daisy thought. He seemed interesting, and funny in his own way.

“So, tell me about yourself...” Daisy said suddenly. Gorby looked up from his plate seeming a bit surprised. He looked questioned, “Come on..” Daisy said encouraging. “A-alright...” He said while he took a sip from his mug.

“I was born in Bree. I spent my childhood there as well...My parents passed away when I was small, so my uncle raised me.” He said and looked puzzled. “Oh..I’m sorry.” Daisy said while her eyes narrowed. “No, it’s alright....They died so early, I didn’t get to know them...really...”

Daisy hadn’t really noticed that it was starting to get late, and she, as tired she always was should have gone to bed hours ago. “I think it’s time to get to bed,” Daisy said to the remaining hobbits. There were only a few of them left, because some had already gone to bed. “I’ll see you tomorrow then, Gorby,” Daisy said as she rose from her seat and gave a small wave as she walked out of the common room, heading for the stairs. “Good night,” Gorby said yawned. “I think it’s time to go to bed for me as well...” He said and laughed.

“Good night...”

Last edited by Orofaniel; 02-29-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:57 PM   #62
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Ivy was seated at a small table near Meoldy, naturally. She was bouncing up and down lightly, which was either result of her exceitement, or the ale. Ale, she had grown far too fond of it. A trait undoubtably picked up by her father when she was but a lass. She drained a mug. It must have been her third, possibly fourth one, it was too hard to tell at the moment. Melody watched her bemusedly for a moment, as she tried to settle down. At last with a hiccup, she stopped bouncing around, and felt dreadfully tired.

We've come this far. A familiar site, no doubt, but it means we've made progress. she thought to herself, as she watched everyone slowly pile out of the common room and into their own rooms for the night. She noticed Madoc peering out the window. Now, Ivy longed to talk to Madoc, ask him what he thought of the trip, and he was very kind to her in her tardiness...but she knew that trying to go talk to someone in her current state would not be a good idea. In fact, it was a bad idea that she ever rolled out the ale in the first place. She'd be fine the next day though, she usually was, and the excitement would make up for any wan feelings in the morn anyway.

Pondering about this, Ivy found herself stumbling off towards her room. She managed to gather that she'd have a lot to think about later on, but she couldn't tonight. This was Ivy's true way of journeying. Not to think about anything, except the path she was on, which in any event, was the only thing she could think about at the moment. Any thoughts of death or injuries, or of losing her friends were lost.

I'll talk to Madoc in the morning, I've been meaning to ask him how he fares so far. Just to be kind... she thought, and glanced towards him.

As she walked away she noticed Melody was bright red, and gazing at Tom. I should get to know some of the others on the journey. It seems that Melody is quite occupied with Tom at the while. she continued telling herself mentally. She stifled a snigger, and walked away swiftly until she reached her room. Once she got there, she threw herself on her matress and fell immediately asleep.

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-01-2004 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:36 PM   #63
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Cedric Cotton

Cedric wasn't so used to so many people, and different kinds of people. He looked up at a tall man that looked down at him with a grin. He muttered something and sat down by a table. He sighed and leaned back. The Inn was quite nice, but too many people. Cedric didn't like so many people at once. He felt really tiny and like he was a nobody. He yawned and felt tired. His heart now felt empty. He took up his pendant that hang around his neck.

He thought about his mother and now felt sad and lonely. This journey maybe was a bad idea? Maybe I never should have joined!? He tapped his fingers against the table and shook his head like he tried to get his silly thoughts out of his head. He rose up and walked to the bar and asked for an ale. The ale tasted really good and the Inn seemed to not be so affected by the winter and starvation. He smiled at a dwarf that approached him. "G'day master dwarf." Cedric started and tried to be polite. Te dwarf hummed something unhearable, but then said "Good day to you too, stranger, my I join you?" Cedric nodded and then bowed. He had always been polite. His mother had always told him to be polite.

The dwarf seemed very talkative, and immediatly to babble about journeys. Cedric sat and listened and nodded all the time and hummed in agreement. Actually he wasn't really listening. He sat there and tried to be polite. The picture of his mother came back to him and he smiled as he could he see her in front of him. "What are you smiling at? I was this close to get a grip of that huge diamond before the orcs came and my comrades dragged me away so I shouldn't get slaughtered." he said and stretched out his arms as long as he could to show how big the diamond was.

The dwarf now began to ask Cedric many questions about him and Cedric answered them with joy. The dwarf listened and seemed intersted. I'll see Tom and see when we will be leaving tomorrow. He ran up from his stool and bowed deeply to the dwarf and excused and said that he had to leave. The dwarf bowed and smiled. "I wish you luck on you journey!" he shouted after Cedric as he ran to Tom. Maybe he was rude, but right now he felt that he didn't always had to be polite and follow his mothers strict rules.

He approached Tom just as he came from his room leaving his luggage at his room. "Hello Tom" Cedric said and puffed, "I was just wondering when we will be leaving tomorrow?" They both started to walk to the bar where all the other hobbits seemed to now had a good time and enjoyed some good ale and talked.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:34 PM   #64
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Madoc went to the stables a last time before heading to his room for the night. He waved at the cluster of his companions who still sat about the fire enjoying each others company along with their ales.

Willem, the stableboy rose sleepily from his pallet of straw, asking if he could be of any service. ‘I hope so, lad,’ said Madoc throwing back the canvas cover on the contents of the wagon he’d brought and looking at the supplies he’d brought with a critical eye. The old gaffer’s stories of wolves on the road ahead had put the hair up on the back of his neck.

He spoke quietly to the boy, who nodded his head thoughtfully at the end and led Madoc to a place behind the stables. ‘This is where we keep, ‘em, sir,’ said the boy, pointing to a large pile of pitchy limbs. Use ‘em for getting the Inn fire going nice and hot.’ They discussed how many Madoc might have, and after the exchange of a few pennies for the boy’s help, they loaded a good quantity of them into the back of the wagon. Once done, Madoc pulled the canvas over them and bade the boy goodnight. He returned to his room, and placing his cloak over the top quilt as an extra cover, slipped into the shivery cold of his bed and huddling there until it had warmed up enough for him to sleep.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:15 PM   #65
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tom had just put his belongings away and had begun to make his way down stairs when Cedric ran up to him. “Hullo Tom,” he said while trying to catch his breath “I just wondered what time we would have to be setting off tomorrow.” Tom stared at him blankly for a few seconds.

“Hmm… I’d never really thought about that until you asked,” Tom began as they made their way back down to the others. “I think we should all be up at dawn. Then have a good long breakfast here and then set out after, when we are all ready of course. Just make sure your up at dawn.”

Cedric nodded at Tom and they both went into the bar area where all the other Hobbits were sitting. Tom talked to Madoc for a while but it wasn’t long before Melody came and sat next to him. She then asked him to come outside for a second where they could talk privately about something, Tom wasn’t sure what it would be about though.

‘Oh no’ thought Tom. ‘I hope she isn’t going to say something horrible or snap at me like she did earlier’. They both stepped out into the deep snow and it was freezing them both to the bone. Except, in the night sky when Tom looked up, the stars were shining and they seemed to Tom, to be letting of an aroma of warmth which was falling down upon them. He looked at Melody who seemed to have a slightly sad and regretful expression on her face, which was of course unusual for her as she usually happy and cheerful. She suddenly started to speak to Tom about her actions earlier, when she snapped at him, and apologised for everything.

There was then a long pause but suddenly Melody leant towards Tom and kissed him. Tom didn’t know what to do apart from go along with it and after Melody seemed extremely nervous and went back inside as red as a tomato. Tom stayed out for a while pondering his thoughts of happiness and confusion at the same time. Then, as if from nowhere, he heard a knocking noise to his right. He turned to see Madoc with a huge grin on his face.

‘What’s he smiling at?’ Tom said to himself. He was beginning to get suspicious of what Madoc had seen, but Madoc lifted his pint to the window and gestured Tom to come inside. Tom nodded and then had another pint with Madoc, but, now he was extremely tired after the long day and decided to bid Madoc a good night.

Tom left and made his way up to his room. Here he fell into a deep slumber thinking of Melody and the goings on of the night.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:10 PM   #66
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Leaving The Green Dragon Inn . . . arriving near Buckland . . .

Surprise Attack!

The weather had gone from bad to worse as the companions trekked down the road toward Buckland. The morning of departure from The Green Dragon Inn was bitterly cold. No snow, but the day had been overcast and the wind came in great gusts from the north, blowing its icy breath through every little hole and tear in the Hobbits’ clothes. The following day brought flurries of snow and spells of icy rain.

Madoc drove the big wagon with Estelle on the seat beside him. Others of the Hobbits took turns walking and riding in the wagon as they trudged along, grateful fot the thick layer of straw that cushioned them from the cold wood bottom of the wagon bed as they huddled under the stacks of quilts their neighbors back home had lent them. Once one group had warmed up, they would hop off and start walking, making room for another bunch of nearly frozen Hobbits to climb on board and warm up for a spell.

Tom and Gorbadic walked in front of the wagon for most of the way – trading places with each other when one would grow too cold. They were on the alert for signs of the ‘wolves’ that the gaffer at the Green Dragon had spoken about. Much to the relief of the other Hobbits, the only signs seen were old frozen paw prints . . . nothing fresh. Still the companions kept to the road . . . none dared the darkness under the trees that lined the road.

Their first stop after Bywater was The Floating Log Inn at Frogmorton. Business there was as sparse as it had been at the Green Dragon. The Hobbits were glad to be inside for the night. They were able to dry out their wet clothes and to sleep in warm, comfortable beds. That, and there was ale to make them feel less grim.

Again, though, the Hobbits heard tales of ‘things’ bedeviling hapless travelers. Not just four-legged marauders this time – but now two-legged creatures of dubious ancestry were mentioned. Gorbadic, his second flagon of ale in hand, nudged Madoc in the ribs. ‘Next thing you know they’ll be saying there are goblins about!’ Gorbadic laughed out loud. ‘Everyone knows old Bullroarer Took drove them all away!’

Well rested, warm, and their bellies full of hot porridge, the Hobbits set out early the next morning from Frogmorton, bound for Buckland. They would cross the Brandywine River at the Stonebow Bridge late in the day, then make camp at High Hay. From there it would only be a two day journey into Bree.

It was early noon, the day cold and cloudy. The Hobbits had just passed the small hamlet of Whitfurrows and deciding it was time for lunch had pulled off into a little clearing at the side of the road. Madoc unhitched rocky and Nettle from the wagon while several of the others gathered wood to build a small fire.

Estelle took a bucket from the hook on the side of the wagon and walked to the small stream that ran on the far side of the clearing. ‘Tea water,’ she called out to Daisy, as she passed the Hobbit lass with an armful of small branches and twigs tucked up in her overskirt. Daisy nodded at her and hurried to where the fire was being started.

The flames from the small blaze crackled cheerfully as Gorbadic fetched the big kettle for tea water from the back of the wagon. He put it down by the fire and fetched out a packet of loose tea leaves from his pack, along with a small tin of honey. Madoc grinned at his cousin as Gorbadic crouched down by the fire to warm his hands with the others. ‘Now all we need is for Estelle and the water to make an appearance,’ he said, poking the fire with a stick.

Then, from the direction of the little stream came a ghastly, high-pitched scream, ending suddenly with a strangled cry for help. ‘Estelle!’ cried Madoc leaping to his feet and grabbing up his stout blackthorn club . . .

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-07-2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:14 AM   #67
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

White-Hand Daisy

“Hurry!" Madoc cried. He had already run down to the steam and was crying for the other Hobbits to do so as well. He held up his blackthorn club as he was going in a fight and ran down towards the steam. Daisy knew something was wrong as soon as she heard the terrible scream that belonged to no other than Estelle. Daisy took up her own knife from her apron, in case she needed it. "Where is Estelle?" She asked Tom as they were running along. Daisy was soon out of breath. Then suddenly she saw the wild dogs. The big creatures with their enormous teeth, fangs in the front, were barking at them. Daisy could feel coldness, as cold as ice, crawl down her spine. In the background she could see Estelle, she'd been knocked down, and she wasn't moving.

"Get back you foul creatures!" Madoc cried and held his club trying to threaten the dogs. They seemed to take no heed of Madoc’s weapon however. Soon Gorby, Cedric and Ivy were standing behind Madoc, supporting him against the wild dogs.

All Daisy could think of was Estelle, who was lying on the ground. It seemed so far away, yet it wasn’t.. Se wanted to get over to help her, but it seemed impossible as the dogs were blocking the way.

Without being warned one of the dogs attacked Madoc, and Madoc fell to the ground with the dog upon him. The dog showed his teeth, and barked yet again to show its own strength. Madoc let out a little whine.

Suddenly Cedric cried for help. The other wild dogs had jumped over him. "Help!" Help me!!"

Daisy watched all of this with horror, but couldn't do much because it happened so fast. "Cedric!" Daisy cried a she saw that one of the dogs had opened his mouth, ready to kill. She ran forwards, even though she was scared, and stabbed the dog from the back, and the blood was flowing. It cried out in anger and turned towards her. As it was just to jump over Daisy, she managed to sneak away, and the dog hit the ground. Daisy had great fortune, and it didn't stop there; because there, where the dog had landed, stood Gorby ready to kill it. He stabbed it twice in the neck and it took its last breath, while barking angrily.

"Are you alright?" Gorby asked and ran towards her. She gave a small nod, she wasn't quite herself and wasn't capable to say anything, but she managed to thank him for saving her life. Cedric had also managed to get to his feet by now and he hurried over to them before another dog could attack him. He seemed alright, but he was bleeding from his left shoulder, and his shirt was torn apart. The white colour of the shirt had turned into a mix of brown, from the ground, and red from the blood.

They didn't get much time to clear their thoughts before yet another dog eyed them, wanting to revenge its fellow dog they’d just killed…..
Old 03-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #68
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hob fumbled for his bow, the camp was in turmoil, almost as much as his mind. Why had he come? What were they going to achieve? But he was given no more time to dwell on it as the wild dogs attacked. He stood back from the front line of fighting and wherever he saw a gap in it or a dog without a knife in its throat, he shot. He didn't know what was happening around him it was all going so fast. Some times he'd think he was the only one left alive but then he'd see Ivy or Tom.

He wanted to know where they'd come from, had they once been tame farm dogs driven wild by hunger? Or had hunger just emboldened their already wild nature?

Hob's thoughts were cut off. Perhaps he hadn't been paying enough attention to the fight, or perhaps he just wasn't fast enough, but a dog had broken free and gone straight for him. Hob quickly aimed at it and shot, but he only caught its shoulder. Before he knew anything more, the dog had leaped on him and knocked him over. Hob reached out to grab for some kind of weapon, his first grab came away with just a handful of snow, but he threw it in the dog's face anyway. The dog backed off a little, sneezing and soon came back. This time, however, Hob had found a stone, a hard and sharp flint. He hit the dog repeatedly over the head with it, how he wished he was back in Tuckborough.

Hob heaved the dog's cooling body off himself and wiped his face, where much of the blood had fallen. He checked for his own blood and found only scratches where the dog had clawed at his chest. He counted this as a blessing, though he now had even less of an idea what was happening around him. For all he knew, he was now surrounded by twenty snarling dogs, he sincerely hoped he wasn't.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:51 PM   #69
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivy stared out at the large dogs, snarling and viscious. They could only be evil. Without much thought she grabbed her small dagger from her overskirt pocket, and lunged at one of the dogs nearing to Melody. She screamed as she watched the blood pour forth from the dog whilst she stabbed away at it. She wouldn't allow herself to think, but instead just focused on her hand thrusting forward and striking the wolf, until it drew breath no longer. Surely she could not have just killed a wolf on her own?

She backed away slowly, panting, and staring at the dead beast as if half-expecting it to spring back to life and make an attack. Behind her another wolf drew near her small frame. She heard the soft snarl and the heat of its breath. The fur on her feet stood on end, as she cautiously turned around to face the menace. Ivy fought herself, trying not to scream in her fright. She was nearly under the wolf, but her brain didn't seem to let her know emotion. Behind her she heard Tom screaming at her. 'Stab it, Ivy! Quick!' The wolf held up a clawed paw and swiped at her face, she felt nothing - a miss. Her hand clutched the dagger, and Ivy closed her eyes as the blade punctured the wolf's chest. It staggered back, and Ivy managed to run away before it got back up.

She instinctively hid herself behind a bush and breathed heavily, gasping for breath. She looked down at her dagger and winced, seeing the dripping blood from the blade. She wiped it off in the grass, and wondered if she had gotten any wounds herself. Wiping away the sweat from her forehead she noticed a bit of blood on her hand when she brought it down. It was nothing much, and for that she was very thankful, but all at once those feelings her brain would not let her feel came rushing back at her. Her head stung like fire, and she was glad that she was already flat on the ground, for she felt if she wasn't she would have fell. A tear rolled down her face as she looked around, wondering how the others fared.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:54 AM   #70
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Gorbadic turned to face the dog that now threatened him and his friends. Cedric and Daisy and he stood back to back in a tight little knot as the hungry beast circled them. Gorby slashed out at it with his knife when it drew too near. It drew back its lips from its yellowed teeth and lunged at the group again and again . . .

It was a raggedy looking dog, half-starved; its ribs showing through its mangy fur. Once a farm dog, it had been abandoned when his owners left their meager farm to move closer to town. There were others in the area who had abandoned their dogs also, and now this poor, hunger driven pack of what once had been a Hobbit’s best friend were out scavenging the roads, looking to fill their bellies with whatever came along – two-legged or four.

~*~

Meri, for his part, had stood back a little from the battle. Pulling out his little sling, he fished into the pouch that hung at his belt and began firing rocks at the two dogs who were attempting to drag off the body of poor Estelle. One his jagged missiles connected with the male dog’s eye and sent the creature yelping off into the woods. The female kept her teeth firmly clenched in the collar of Estelle’s blouse and was slowly inching her lifeless body beneath the cover of the trees.

The doughty Hobbit drew closer to the dog, hoping to get it away from its downed prey. Swinging his sling above his head, just ready to launch its rocky missile, he didn’t see the craven beast that had run up on silent paws behind him. Meri’s arm froze in mid-swing at the sound of the growl. Before he could turn, he was borne down by the weight of the leaping dog; the canine teeth sunk deep in the arm whose hand held the sling . . .

~*~

Madoc heaved himself from the ground where he had fallen. His club had rolled from his hand when he fell under the weight of the dog. With the dog’s hot, fetid breath in his face, teeth just inches away from his face, he had raised his stout arm and with his fist, he’d punched the creature hard on the snout. The dog withdrew, yelping, giving him enough time to scramble to his feet and retrieve his cudgel.

He could see two dogs harrying Melody and Tom. And there, to the side a little, stood Hob, bow in hand, his chest heaving from fear and the exertion of the fight.

Ivy was flat on the ground, she raised her head a little, but he could not tell if she were hurt.

Gorby, Daisy and Cedric stood together, fending off the maddened attack of two dogs now – the one that originally had had them cornered was now joined by the one Meri had driven off with his sling.

‘Go help them,’ he yelled to Hob as he passed him, his own feet carrying him to where Tom and Melody faced their two attackers . . .
Old 03-09-2004, 12:29 PM   #71
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tom sprang up to his feet as he heard the cry of Estelle and he saw Madoc grabbing his club and rung down to the dog that attacked her. Toms weapons were in the wagon so he ran to it as fast as he could, and he could hear his friends screaming for help even before he reached his belongings. He took his bow and two arrows and put his knife in his trouser belt as fast as possible.

He turned and saw Ivy protecting Melody from one of the wild, vicious dogs but there was one behind her getting ready to pounce and Ivy didn’t notice it. Tom drew his arrow and ran nearer to get a clearer shot. Suddenly, while he was running he felt a sharp pain in his ankle and he fell to the ground. He shifted frantically and saw one of the dogs, which had blood pouring from its teeth, tugging at his ankle. He hit it in the face as hard as possible which made it back off slightly and it let out a whine. He pulled out his knife while he still could and, before the dog attacked again he stabbed it three times in the side of its body.

Tom looked round and could see the other dog was already on top of Ivy. He tried to get up to help her but he collapsed due to the dog’s deep bite in his ankle. “Stab it, Ivy! Quick!” He shouted desperately trying to help her. Tom looked round the deep snow for his bow and saw it near Melody. He crawled as fast as possible towards it and saw that Ivy had killed the dog and was now behind cover, luckily.

He looked at Melody and she was being challenged by two dogs, one in front and one behind, the one behind was ready to kill. Tom quickly picked up his bow again, drew the arrow and shot. It hit the dog straight through his neck and it did not move again after gently swaying and then falling to the ground with a thud. Tom looked for the other arrow except it was gone. He dropped it when the other dog attacked him and now Melody had to face the remaining dog or dogs alone as his wound prevented him from getting to her in time…

Last edited by Phervasaion; 03-09-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:37 PM   #72
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Melody backed away from the one dog. She was shivering, this time not from the cold but a scared shiver. “Uh… T…Tom” Melody said nervously. Tom lay on the floor wounded, a dog had attacked him but it moved away from Tom and walked towards Melody. Tom wanted to help, one could see that with out difficulty but Tom was badly wounded with a deep bite in his leg and arm. Another dog appeared from the left and she now had three dogs walking towards her, slowly she backed away trying not to make any sudden moves. Melody looked at the dogs; they were growling viciously with their huge, white teeth showing. Melody was surprised they didn’t just attack her, they just moved towards her like they were capturing their unwary prey. A tear fell down and she started to sing softly to herself “lo…lovely d..ay, isn’t..t a lo..vely day” she now couldn’t go back any further for she was now against a tree. She bent down slowly, keeping her eyes on the dog as she felt around on the ground. Next to her she found a sharp stick. She felt it… it was thick and wouldn’t break easy.

The wild dogs ran towards her, all three of them. Melody couldn’t move for she was so frightened. She lifted her stick and started to whack around her, trying to make the dogs back away but it only made them angrier. There eyes looked even scarier and their growls grew louder.

Melody jumped “my knife!” she exclaimed. She took out her dagger and held it to the air. A slightly wounded Ivy ran to where Melody was with a dagger of her own. Ivy jabbed her dagger into the one wild dog, not killing it but harming it. Melody stabbed one of the other dogs too, it fell to the ground. The last standing dog growled loudly and viciously and jumped onto Melody holding her down. Ivy screamed as she saw the huge dog attack Melody. A frightened Melody lay too scared to actually understand what was happening, where she was and what to do. Melody entered a dreamy world for two seconds but it felt like a life time to Melody. She saw clouds and flowers, muffins and the faces of her brothers…
Old 03-14-2004, 12:33 PM   #73
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hob was glad to have someone tell him what to do. Doing what he had been told to do was what he was best at and in some strange way, it comforted him. Grabbing an arrow from the quiver he had hastily slung over his shoulder, he stopped and aimed for one of the dogs that trapped Gorby, Daisy and Cedric. He pulled back and let it loose, but the dog moved and the arrow continued. Hob could barely look as it carried on towards his friends, he prayed that it wouldn't hit any of them. For once in what seemed like an age, fortune was on his side and the arrow ended its flight lodged in a tree some yards away. Gorby was barely aware that his arm had nearly been skewered.

Hob toko a deep breath of relief and drew another arrow out. This time he was less hasty in letting the arrow fly, despite their situation. He hit. Daisy looked up from the dog that was now yelping in pain with an arrow in its back and nodded in thanks to Hob. But Hob had seriously injured the dog, it wouldn't last for much longer and it wanted to take Hob with it. Hob drew his final arrow from his quiver but had no time to do anything with it as the dog ran and stumbled toward him.

He waited for the dog to come close enough then he rammed the arrow into its open mouth. The dog fell limp almost immediately and Hob dropped it. It reminded him of a stray dog that Hob and the others in his road had befriended when they were young. He was thankful that that dog had ended its days in a better way.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:24 AM   #74
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Melody feared that this was the end… As the dog was about to bite Melody with its vicious teeth Ivy stabbed the wild dog in its back and the dog fell. Melody screamed “ouch” for the heavy dog fell on top of her. Ivy tried very hard to push the dog off and after quite a bit of pulling and pushing she got the dog off Melody. Melody got up with tears in her eyes, “Thank you Ivy, thank you so much!” Ivy smiled.

They both looked around the site and no more dogs could be seen. Melody looked at Meri but she couldn’t cry, no one could. They knew it would happen; someone or many would die in the journey. Melody sighed and they all walked on not talking. The injured did not complain… no one did it was complete, utter silence! They found a camping ground a few miles on and they set out there. Melody tended to a few wounds and handed everyone the last muffins she had.

The next morning Melody woke up before anyone ells did. Melody looked at her surroundings; the snow was thick and blinding white. The trees stood high but were leafless and bleak. There was a howl of some sort in the far distance, it woke everyone up. Everyone looked miserable and Melody knew why, the passing of Meri and hunger. Food is all Melody could think of. It gnawed at her, the hunger overtook her, overtook everyone which made then irritable and snappy.
“Let’s pack up and carry on with the journey,” Tom ordered. And everyone did so. They started to walk while the injured ones sat in the wagon. All the injured ones but Tom, he refused to and told everyone he was fine. Melody walked next to Tom. They chatted about a few things. Everything between them was normal again, no odd feelings of the other night, Melody was pleased with this.

Melody and Tom walked ahead of everyone ells, Tom wanted to make sure no more danger was near and Melody wanted to keep Tom company.
“Um” Tom paused, “You know about the… you know… the um… other night?” Melody nodded. “What um, why… you… it…” Tom couldn’t find the right words, “Why did you do it?” Melody kept on walking not answering Tom. Why did I do it? I love him of course. Wait, do I? I am sure, no I don’t! Or… Melody battled with herself.

Tom and everyone kept walking not saying much as a group. All of a sudden Melody heard a big noise. She jumped and turned around to see what had happened. The wagon was slightly tilted and not even on the ground. Melody looked at it strangely.
“A hole!” Hob exclaimed.
Tom hissed, “A hole?” He examined the hole. “It’s a rather deep hole…!”
“Don’t tell me it’s stuck!” Melody said.
“Melody just… just… we can get it out. It’s no big deal!” Tom snapped.
They all pushed and tried to pick the wagon up but it was indeed too heavy
Old 03-18-2004, 11:26 PM   #75
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Gorby jumped from the back of the wagon, his already cold feet landing in a chilly puddle. He gave an ‘Oh!’ of surprise, then blushed as he heard Daisy giggle. Wrapping his scarf about his neck to hide the red that was creeping up it, he approached Melody. She and Tom stood by the front wheel of the wagon, frowning.

Madoc wrapped the reins around the brake handle and jumped down from the front seat. Motioning Cedric over for some assistance, he nodded to Tom and Gorby to put their shoulders to the back of the wagon on one side while he and Cedric took the other side. Daisy and Ivy went to the front of the wagon, each of them taking hold of the ponies’ reins. They urged the ponies to pull the wagon forward while the four men gave several hard pushes on the wagon’s back end.

Melody and Hob urged them on. After several tries, the wagon creaked and shifted forward just enough to clear the rim of the hole. There was a collective sigh of relief as the rim of the wheel rolled free . . .

~*~

Two more days of trudging down the long, cold road brought them to the outskirts of Bree-land. The little group was tired and hungry as the hedge that walled the town hove into view through the lightly swirling snow.

The sight of Bree, so near, brought some hope to the companions. Their pace quickened and soon they reached the hedge. One of the group stepped up to the door and rang the bell, then stepped back a pace and waited for the doorman to answer . . .
Old 03-22-2004, 01:17 PM   #76
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

The gate to Bree creaked open revealing a tall dark man, which was an unusual appearance for the men of Bree, standing with a wondrous smirk upon his face. “Hello young Hobbits,” he said with a smile. “It has been a long time since we have heard any word from the Shire folk. I trust all is well at your homes in the Shire?”

Tom stepped forward with a stern and serious look on his face. “No, all is no where near well at the moment, and if it were, we probably wouldn’t be paying a visit to your humble town at this moment in time,” Tom stopped for a second and sighed. “But,” he began once again. “Due to the recent bad weather there was a huge shortage of food supplies, and the Hobbits of the Shire decided they would need to send out some brave Adventurers to retrieve some food. The Adventurers being us. We are sorry if you feel that we are intruding slightly and you may think that we are stealing the food in some way. But trust me, these are desperate times in the Shire at the moment and we need help.”

The gatekeeper stood shaking his head at Tom’s last remarks. “No of course we don’t think your intruding,” He began. “Well I don’t at any rate, and to be honest its good to see some travellers around here, we haven’t seen any for some time and gate duties have been so boring as of late. I almost jumped out of my skin when I heard you knock at the door!” He laughed and took in a deep breath.

“As for your question, we would be most glad to help you. I can’t say that we have excess supplies at the moment… But we have enough to fill your wagons as well as looking after our people. Follow me to the storage areas.”

The Hobbits pulled all their wagons along and followed the doorman to the supply rooms while talking about their journey and hardships to him. He looked terribly upset as Tom told of the attack of the wild dogs and the death of their friends. After a short walk, they reached the supplies and filled their wagons to the brim with food and drink. The Hobbits grinned while looking at all the food that they would take back to the Shire, and they thought about being back at their own homes, in the warm.

Well,” said Tom as he put the last bag of supplies on the wagon. “We have completed the first half of our task and now we must journey back home, but I say now that the way back will be harder than the way here as we will be hauling all these supplies along with us, and we need our strength. Therefore I have decided we will rest at the Prancing Pony tonight. Let us drink and be merry!” And so the Hobbits did have a merry night, but they never forgot the valour of both Meri and Estelle for helping the others until the very end. Modoc decided that the remaining Hobbits would toast to them at the end of the night, and so they went to their beds thinking about the two brave Hobbits that lost their lives.

The next morning they all awoke early and were now eager to finish their journey. The Hobbits had a short breakfast and then went to collect their supplies and wagons from the inn yard and began to make their through the town. Some of the villagers bade them farewell as they heard of their deeds so far, but the gate keeper seemed most concerned with their welfare.

“Good luck,” he said while looking at each one of the Hobbits. “And I hope that the journey back will be a lot safer than the part you have already travelled.” He smiled and opened the large gates before them. The Hobbits looked down the long road, with trees lined down both sides and their hearts and spirits rose. They now knew that all they had to do was get back, and a large part of the journey was over. And they were determined to make sure that the death of both Meri and Estelle was not in vain.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:28 PM   #77
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Melody smiled, she was pleased. “We are half way through the journey! We have completed half the task and we should smile and be, oh so very proud of ourselves” Melody said cheerfully to the group. “Shire needs us to return and with out the will power we won’t return let’s do this for Shire, for our families, for ourselves and most certainly for Estelle and Meri!” Melody laughed. They set out on their journey once again.

Tom and Melody were seen laughing once again and they both talked of old times back in the shire, you know those hysterical happenings, the ones that could never be forgotten. Melody felt free, she knew the burden wasn’t fully off them but half of it was… there was light and hope. For a few minutes Melody forgot the whole burden and enjoyed Toms wonderful, calming presence. She just wanted to run off into an open field of colourful grass and dance, hop and sing like when she was a child once again… she wanted to run, hope and dance not alone but with Tom.

They looked back and could see Bree slightly in the distance… but now they were all scared… what next? What was around the corner, a safe journey? Danger?
Old 03-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #78
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Narya

Daisy had still not come over the dog attack. The atmosphere however among the Hobbits had slowly lightened up a bit, after they’d picked up their supplies in Bree. Even Melody and Tom had been laughing not long ago, and the other Hobbits were shortly doing the same. Daisy had talked to Gorby while they were walking out from Bree. Both of them very pleased that they finally had gotten their supplies. They agreed that the worst part of the journey was probably over.

"Three days from now, or so, we'll be in Buckland...." Tom announced suddenly. He smiled and turned to look at the other Hobbits that were walking behind him. "Am I correct?" He asked Melody who was walking beside him. "Yes, I do believe you are Tom," She answered merrily.

The Hobbits seemed happy about this and continued their walking for yet a few hours, before sleeping.

Last edited by Orofaniel; 03-30-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:52 PM   #79
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The sky was a leaden grey; the clouds, heavy with rain, scudded close together in the chilly wind . . . threatening . . .

Two days out of Bree brought the Hobbits just past the Barrow-Downs. Another day’s travel would bring them well into Buckland. Madoc’s mood, which had lifted somewhat at the generosity of the good people of Bree, grew heavier with each mile. ‘I should be happy,’ he murmured to himself. One of the ponies drawing the heavily laden wagon twitched its ear back at him as if to catch the Hobbits fleeting words. Madoc sighed and clucked encouragingly at the team to pick up its speed. ‘The sooner home to my sister and mother, the better,’ he said to the inquisitive pony, ‘the sooner I can shake this feeling of gloom and unease.’

It was late afternoon, and the little band of companions was beginning to slow down. Gorby had gone on ahead just a little and now came running back down the road toward the wagon. ‘I’ve found us a nice little place just off the road. Just round that curve there,’ he said, pointing back in the direction from which he’d come. ‘There’s a small clearing with some trees on the edges to block the wind. And a nice little stream . . . the ice is thin on it – no problems drawing water.’

The other hobbits gathered round the wagon. All were tired and hungry, ready for some hot tea and a little food. ‘Let’s go, then, Gorby,’ said Madoc, taking hold of the pony’s bridle. ‘You lead and we’ll follow along.

Soon they had pulled into the safety of the clearing. Gorby and one of the others went to gather wood for a little fire while the rest set up their little camp. Madoc began freeing the ponies from their harness and led them to a place where there was a little dried grass left for them to munch on. The ponies seemed a little restless, but he shrugged their actions off as them just being nervous about being in a strange place. He fetched some hay from the wagon for them, and as he was laying it on the ground for them, a small whiff of icy breeze against his neck made him shiver.

‘Pull yourself together,’ he admonished himself. ‘We’re almost to the Shire. Nothing to worry about.’

He shivered again though the wind was still . . .
Old 03-25-2004, 07:57 PM   #80
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivy lagged behind all the others, staring at the sky in all its gloominess. Occasionally one of the hobbits would yell at her to hurry up and she'd sprint forward absent-mindedly until she nearly ran into someone. She wondered how the folk in the Shire were faring, and if and what the grey skies could mean. A brittle chill engulfed her body and she shivered, along with everyone else, it seemed. She grabbed onto her coat tightly and scurried forth to catch up with the group once more.

They were all fairly silent, only speaking a few words here and then, and Ivy said nothing. She was excited, and who could blame her? All her life she wanted to actually go on an adventure, and she did. She battled with wolves and made it to Bree, and now came the sweetest part of the journey, if not the most bothersome. The journey home. She inhaled deeply, letting the chill air into her lungs and exhaled after the cool became too much to handle. She decided that the silence was too much for her, and she scampered off to the front of the group and walked alongside the ponies. She hummed one of her favourite walking songs in hope that just maybe one of the others would recognise it and pick it up. Her voice seemed to echo softly and absorb into their chill surroundings. No one picked the tune up at all.

They would take the occasional small break, but it was never anything much, and it seemed to Ivy that they were all slightly on the edge and fairly alert. Whether this was because they were anxious, or they suspected another attack like the one on the journey to Bree, Ivy did not know. But she dearly hoped it was not the latter, though the thought had been growing on her mind ever increasingly.

Oh, I do hope we get back home soon! she thought to herself, something just doesn't seem right... the thought of the attack of wolves flooded into her mind, and she saw Estelle and the others die slowly, though she did not witness it firsthand. She cringed and walked on.

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-25-2004 at 10:08 PM.