User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2003, 07:18 AM   #81
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gráin watched Vráin and Rowan ride towards northeast. They flew up a gentle green slope, dwindling fast in Gráin's eyes, and suddenly they disappeared behind a ridge. The dwarf sighed and turned around. His brother was riding with a trusted friend and this once away from dints and trouble. For some unknown reason Gráin was also pleased Vráin was to go and meet Aravorn, nearly a total stranger, yet – curiously though - like a dear friend.

Elentari spoke again to all. "There is not much we can do now but wait. We will decide our strategy when Rowan, Vráin and, I hope, some of the Rangers get back. Until then: Sharpen your swords and axes! Get your gear ready; mails, headpieces, shields and all! This time we are going to be ready for the battle..."

To Gráin and every experienced soldier Elentari's calls were self-evident but he could understand her anxiety; Merenwen had died because they were caught incautious and unprepared. That would not happen again.

[ June 23, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 06-13-2003, 02:11 PM   #82
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

After the departure of the scouts, the members of the company had occupied themselves the best they could. Each of them had inspected and cleaned their weapons, making certain they were ready for the assault on the bandit camp planned for later that night. Once all the swords and bows and daggers were battle ready, Elentari found herself pacing back and forth in anticipation of the Rangers' arrival. Unfortunately, that was still hours away.

She considered sending out a spy or two to reconnoiter the area where she suspected the bandits to be hiding. But, with the sun bright overhead, and no cover of mist or rain, this seemed too risky. Still, it bothered her that she knew so little about the band, how many members they had, and what kind of weapons they were toting.

The minutes and hours dragged by slowly, far too slowly for the impatient Elf and her companions. Tempers were beginning to fray when Elentari suggested setting up some friendly competition with bow and blade within the company itself. That way they would keep busy, but still get in needed weapons practice. For the remainder of the afternoon, the Elves and Dwarves and Men took turns aiming at various targets, some stationery and others moving. Laughter and teasing filled the air, followed by moments of intense concentration, as the men and women competed for the honor of besting all their companions. A few went off later and practiced with their swords, being careful not to inflict any real injuries upon each other.

As the sun slipped below the horizon, the practice came to a halt. Elentari had the companions gather under the tangled branches of a thickly wooded grove, sitting silent in the darkness as they ate plain bread and cheese. There would be no warm dinner, since any sign of a campfire might alert the bandits to their presence. Callo stood guard outside, lying down on top of the hill to ensure that no one crept up and surprized them.

It was Callo with his keen ears and eyes who first sensed the approach of the returning scouts. He could hear the noise of hooves beating rhythmically on the hard packed eart, and came back triumphantly to annnounce, "They're here. They're here. Four horses! One bears Grain and Rowan. But there are three others. The riders look to be well armed, and the steeds are swift."

The Rangers quickly pulled into the grove, dismounting and extending their arms in greeting. Elentari smiled when she saw they were led by Aravorn, "Thank goodness you've come." she said, rushing forward. "For you know more about these ruffians than we do."

Aravorn nodded solemnly, "That is true. We've seen these men strike many times and leave the dead and bleeding in their wake. I wish that I could have brought more Rangers, but I had to leave some at camp to protect the roads up there. Unfortunately, there is more than one band of brigands loose on the roads. But these folk are the worst, and I would dearly love to see them pay for their insolence and cruelty."

For the next hour, Elentari consulted with Aravorn learning as much as she could of the thieves' ways and schemes. "So there are only seven of them? she questioned. "Then we should definitely prevail."

"Don't be sure!" Aravorn stood up, addressing the entire company. "These men are fiendish. They have constructed a tunnels through the tall grass where they may walk without letting anyone know they're coming. Rumor has it that they've dug giant pits hidden by branches so that the unwary can slip in and receive serious injury. Even if we all work together, it is not certain who will prevail. But I will willingly risk my neck for a chance to get back at these thugs who have brought tears and misery to so many."

After that, everyone mounted on their steeds, with Aravorn and Elentari in the lead, silently threading their way through the tall grass in the direction of the bandits' lair.

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-15-2003, 06:53 AM   #83
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Boots

They had mounted their steeds and were riding trough the thick high grass in the direction of the bandits' lair. They had about 5 miles to ride and that would take at least one hour. Aravorn and Elentari were riding in the front, followed by Callo, behind followed the rest of the company. Ewinda and Lostlondwen were riding as the last ones.

After riding for about half an hour Elentari finally broke the silence. "We haven't met any pits yet, but we know that they will come, so please watch out!" Everyone in the company gave a nod, so that Elentari knew that they'd understood the message. Arvaron and Elentari started talking. Ewinda couldn't hear it though. She was too far behind. She caught up with Lostlondwen who was riding right in front of her.

"How may bandits are there" she asked in a low voice.

"oh...well,I think Elentari said it's ought to be seven," Lostlondwen answers quickly.

"Then it will be easy to prevail, or what do you think?" Ewinda asked.

"I'm afraid it isn't going to be that simple," Lostlondwen replied."I mean with all those tunnels and those giant pits."

"Oh, right, Elentari just warned us about that. You are probably right Lostlondwen," Ewinda said in an even lower voice than before.

A fresh breeze came over the company as they'd got closer. Suddenly Ewinda lost control over the horse. Sudden movments from made it difficult to stay on the horse's back. She tried to calm it down, when she saw that it was just to trample in a huge pit. Then the horse made a jump so that Ewinda lost her grip and fell of.

She had landed in the pit, and the only thing she felt was a pain in her back. It was quite dark in there and it smelled rotten. She had been so stupid. She was told to watch out for these and she blew it. She cleared her troat and called for Lostlondwen. No replie. They have noticed that I'm not up there, but here, she thought. Or haven't they?

Suddenly she heard some qeer sounds, and she forgot the pain in her back. She grabbed her sword. Could it be the bandits? The only thing she could to was to wait and see. A terror for what it could be was poisoning her mind.

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]
Old 06-15-2003, 07:19 AM   #84
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Elentari and Aravorn were still at the front of the line, when they heard a loud noise coming up from behind them. The Elf initially turned around with anger in her eyes, supposing that several members of the company had foolishly broken their silence. But it was quickly apparent that something had happened.

An urgent voice ring out above the din, "Ewinda! She's fallen into the pit. We need help."

Almost instantly, Aravorn turned his horse about and pulled a rope from his saddlebag, "I feared we might be needing this." He slowly unwound the rope and lowered it down, then turned around and urged the others to help, "You there, take the end and start pulling, but very slowly. We don't know if she's hurt. I'll lay by the edge of the pit and try and help her up once she gets in reach of my hand."
Old 06-15-2003, 08:50 AM   #85
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Sting

"I need some help over here!" Lostlondwen shouted.

They were supposed to be silent, after all, they were getting close to the bandit's lair. Elentari and Aravorn were the first members of the company who came to see what was wrong.

"It's Ewinda," Lostlondwen said in a desperate voice. "She fell, and..." she continued.

Aravorn interrupted her: "I feared we might be needing this." He unwound a rope and lowered it down. He turned to Lostlondwen, who had been struck by terror, and comanded her to take an end and start pulling.

"Someone has to go and fetch her horse," Elentari cried out. Two of the company's members went after it right away. Aravorn, laid himself by the edge of the pit and waited for Ewinda to reach his hand.

"Ewinda?" Lostlondwen cried while pulling the rope very slowly. There was no reply. "Do you think she is hurt?" she asked the ranger lying by the pit.

"It is hard to say," Aravorn muttered.

The company were all silent for a while. They listened to see if there was any sound from the deep pit.

"Oh..." A thin voice filled with pain reached them. Few of them looked up.

"Was that her?" Rowan asked and came over, while stirring down in the dark hole.

"It's getting heavier," Lostlondwen burst out in a kind of excited voice. Rowan and Callo both started eagerly to pull with her. From the deep there was only groans who reached up to the company, but they said enough. She was hurt. But how bad?

After seconds with intense pulling, Aravorn grabbed a hand, coming up from the pit. The dwarves went to get her up and Elentari came with water. "Are you okey?" all of them asked. Lostlondwen ran over to her, and grabbed her by her face and hugged her.

"Ouch," she groaned.

"Oh sorry," Loslondwen said, and took the bottle of water from Elentari's hand.

"Come on, drink. It will do you good." She handed over the bottle, much more careful this time, and looked at the others.

While Ewinda drank, Elentari gathered the company. They discussed what they should do. The woman had injured her back, which seemed to hurt a lot. They weren't sure if she would be able to ride a horse, not right now anyhow.

"Two of us are missing," Loslondwen said after counting the members twice.

"I sent them to fetch Ewinda's horse," Elentari muttered. "They will probably be back very soon," she added.

"Now, this is a situation we never thought we would be in. So the big question is: What are we supposed to do now?"

Lostlondwen looked at Ewinda, then at Elentari. The silent breeze seemed to grow much more loud, and she shuddered while thinking of bandits lurking around in the bushes. They had to get to them first. But now Ewinda seemed to be hurt, she might not be able to ride and to fight. They might lose their advantage of surprise and have to wait. She sat in the shadows wondering.

[ June 15, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]

[ June 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-15-2003, 01:41 PM   #86
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Sting

Ewinda felt that the pit was getting darker. Her back was hurting and she could hear noises. What was she to do? Then she suddenly heard a voice from above. It was Lostlondwen. "Ewinda", she called. "They have noticed," she said to herself and gave a short laugh. But she gave no reply. Ewinda tried to get up, but her legs failed her. "oh, isn't that great," she said in a low and annoyed voice. "I am not giving up that easy," she thought, and tried once again and this time she succeeded.

Suddenly a rope flew swiftly down by her head, which she grabbed. With a little efort she could climbed up. The company was dragging. She was going upwards when she heard the noises were getting even closer than it had ever been before. It was like someone were moving quickly, almost like running. She also noticed something else; It was an opening on the other side, almost like..... Could it be a tunnel? Or maybe an entrance to an old mine?

"Ouch," Ewinda groaned when she reached the edge. " Thanks for rescuing me," she said. "I hope I didn't cost to much of a dilay."

Lostlondwen gave her a bottle of water and she drank. Elentari gathered the company to discuss what was going to happen next. Ewinda interuppted.

"I heard some strange sounds , and I think there was a tunnel or an entrance down there too"

The company turned towards her. "What did you say?" asked Elentari.

"While I was down there I heard some strange sounds. Maybe it was the bandits. I am not sure. It was getting fairly closer, when the rope came down, and you started pulling me up. It was like someone were moving quickly, more like running. And while you were pulling me up I saw an opening on the other side of the pit. I think it was an entrance or a tunnel perhaps." Ewinda said with a cough.

"Maybe we should check it out," Callo said to Elentari.

"Perhaps. I think he Callo's got a point," Elentari said to Aravorn. He gave a short but stern nod.

"But I think we should wait to the others come back, with Ewinda's horse. I mean if it is the bandits we could need their wepons too. Even though they are only seven they are strong. They have tunnels and pits, we have already experienced that and we don't need another accident. Perhaps the hole into which you fell was actually was an entrance or a tunnel to an old mine, we would need everyone to be ready for fight. " Aravorn said and looked at Ewinda.

Elentari gave a nod." Meanwhile don't you think one of us could go down there and just check it out."

"I think that is a good idea, Elentari," said Ewinda.

After a small discussion the company agreed to do so, and only minutes later, Elentari was on her way down.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:09 PM   #87
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Elentari peered around in the darkness. It was very hard to see anything. She felt her way along the outside wall, until she felt it give way slightly.

She knelt down and began ripping away the branches and twigs that covered over what appeared to be an opening.

Elentari ripped the last of the covering away and, with great caution, began creeping down the tunnel. She kept a tight grip on her sword.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:16 PM   #88
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Hey Boy!" Boy heard the familiar call and went running to where his father stood. His father grabbed his arm roughly and pulled him closer so that he could smell his foul breath. "Now Boy, I can hear things coming from the old tunnels. Go check them and we don't want no suspicions roused before we get there so be nice and quiet like." Boy nodded and slipped down the hole, rubbing his arm where it had been grabbed.

He picked up a stick as soon as he could, a wild boar had been stuck down here before and he had needed a stick to beat it back with. The sounds were quite far off so he need not be completely stealthy right this very second. He had to crouch awkwardly as he ran as the roof sometimes got quite low and there were always rocks and roots for you to catch your head on.

He came closer to the noise. The thing was definitely on two feet. He heard a faint curse as the person had caught their hair in a root sticking from the ceiling by the sound of it. The voice was too high to be a man's, Boy was intrigued as to why a woman would be down here but he dare not get any closer lest he be heard or seen. So he ran back as quietly as he could.

Once he got back out in the open he reported what he had heard.

"There's one woman down there."

"Good good," replied his father, "Any weapons?" Boy faltered, he'd forgotten to check!

"I- I don't know." was all he could manage and as expected, his father clouted him and left him sprawling to the ground. He gathered up three of the men, they got themselves a net, their best weapons and some material to act as a gag, they didn't want her calling to any friends she might have.

They quickly departed down the hole. They corvered the distance quickly and surprisingly quietly. They got as close as they dared when they came to a wide space where four tunnels met. From one, came the sounds of the woman and the four men set themselves up in the other three. The woman approached quickly and soon they sould hear that she was occasionally turning back and talking to some other people who were yelling back, though it was becoming faint now.

Finally the woman emmerged into the space. The men took in the sight, she was cleaner and fairer than they had expected but they soon got over that and as though they were one, they leapt out. Two jumped out from the front with the net and covered her, one from the side got the gag in her mouth as quick as he could and the other helped to hold her down. She was caught, and without a sound to the others outside!

They didn't dwell at all. They suspended Elentari in the net between them and they carried her back through the tunnels and out into the camp. The first thing they did while there was strip her of any weapon they could find, then they bound her to a tree and once she was safely secured they drank to their success.

[ June 15, 2003: Message edited by: dragoneyes ]
Old 06-15-2003, 04:14 PM   #89
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The last thing Elentari remembered was walking cautiously along the darkened tunnel with her sword clutched tightly in her hand, and suddenly feeling a great net descend over her head and body. The ruffians had stuffed a gag into her mouth so quickly that, despite her efforts to cry out for help, she was unable to make a single sound other than a few muffled groans. She'd been slung up into a net and rudely carried down the tunnel, with her arms and legs desperately flailing in all directions.

Halfway up the tunnel, at a point where it split into two different pathways, Elentari had made one last valiant attempt to free herself from the thugs. The Elf had failed miserably. Her necklace had wrenched in two and fallen to the ground, a single gleeming gemstone on a broken silver chain which lay quietly by the side of the darkened tunnel, a silent confirmation of the direction in which she'd been hauled away.

When her head hit against the rough stone walls, Elentari had fallen unconscious. The next time she awoke, her companions were nowhere to be seen. She found herself bound against a tree with the ropes cutting cruelly into her wrists and ankles. She could dimly see and hear the ruffians as they celebrated around the campfire, gulping down large flagons of ale and squabbling with each other over who would get to claim her weapons and have the honor of using them to slice her throat.

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-15-2003, 08:13 PM   #90
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"I need some help over here!"

Gráin heard a shout from behind and pulled his pony to a halt. Vráin on his left side did the same and at the same time reached for his axe. Gráin turned around and saw Ewinda’s horse bolting and then galloping off to the opposite direction. A black pit had opened to the ground.

"Someone has to go and fetch her horse," Elentari called out as she and Aravorn reached the edge of the ditch. The ranger had already a rope in his hands. Gráin was about to dismount to help him when he heard Vráin shout:

“I’ll go get the horse!” and with that he dashed off.

“Wait-…” Gráin tried to call after him - without avail. Here we go – again… he rolled his eyes and urged his steady steed into a surprisingly swift run. This is ridiculous! What if someone needs to get down to that pit? Who knows what caves there might be! And here we gallop; dwarves on ponies after a runaway horse! Madness, pure madness… Gráin continued to grumble as he rode on following his brother.

They were lucky; for Ewinda’s horse was wise enough to stay on the trail which they had made earlier while riding to meet the bandits. They needed not worry about new traps for the ground was already once tested. The horse had galloped off like thousand orcs were at its tail and soon it had disappeared from sight into the moonlit night. But by nature the beast was calm and quickly it cooled off. Its gallop settled down first to trot and then to a light pace before it stopped and tucked its muzzle to the dewy hay. And like that Vráin and Gráin finally found her.

“Here, Sparkle. Come now…easy, easy…” Vráin called warily. The horse couldn’t have cared less for his persuasions: it snorted and turned its tail on the dwarf. Vráin tried another trick and pursed his lips in an attempt to whistle like the elves when they call their steeds. Gráin found it most amusing to watch him puff and blow his face red however not succeeding to create a single note. Finally, when he had had his fun, Gráin dismounted his pony, walked casually to the grazing horse and grabbed her bridle. It whinnied and then followed him lightly.

“Can we go now?” Gráin inquired nonchalantly of his brother.

“Surely, brother horse-master,” came Vráin’s distinctly irritated answer. They rode back to the others in silence
save for a couple of Gráin’s short but clear whistles.

Vráin and Gráin had been on their 'hunt' for about a half an hour and returned now just in time to witness Elentari disappear into the pit.

“What is she doing?” Gráin wondered out loud. He hopped off his saddle and ran to the others, leaving the mounts to seek their companions on their own. Vráin had been sulky throughout the whole return ride but now he forgot all his annoyance. He swung himself down from his pony and soon followed Gráin.

“What is Elentari doing?” Vráin echoed his brother’s question; “Why didn’t she wait for me?”

“Look who’s talking. If it wasn’t for you we’d be on our way down right now!” Gráin spat out the words but they went to deaf ears. Vráin had rushed to Aravorn and was now asking him for details. Gráin turned to the others and saw Ewinda lying on the ground, her face twisted with pain. He aimed a questioning glance at Lostlondwen who answered with voice full of worry;

“It’s her back.”

“Well, the Elves are masters of healing arts but these kind of injuries we dwarves know quite well too. If she doesn’t cough blood everything should turn out fine. Most likely she has broken some ribs… Just wrap her in a nice and tight packet, that is all we can do. If you know an herb that will ease her pains then maybe she could even ride soon.” Gráin stepped to Ewinda and, feeling curiously coy, patted her shoulder;

“You will be just fine. These elves know what they are doing.”

In the meanwhile Vráin had been exhausting Aravorn with endless questions. And, in his ardour, he felt his answers unsatisfactory. Elentari had gone into a cave, probably an old mine, of which they had no more knowledge – other than that queer sounds were flowing in its air. Vráin could easily guess what Gráin would say of this matter and he had no intention to stay and listen to the words he already saw coming. From the corner of his eye he caught a glimpse of his older brother talking with Lostlondwen.

“Aravorn,” he whispered; “I will go down – now!”

Aravorn eyed the dwarf for a while before answering. “Let it be so. For I am worried: there has been no sign of Elentari since she found the entrance into the tunnels.”

Vráin needed no more encouragement not to mention his brother’s leave. He settled to the brink of the pit and grabbed the rope that Aravorn was now holding. Nimbly and silently he vanished to the darkness right before Gráin turned to speak to him again. Familiar curses streaming to Vráin’s ears told him his disappearance had not gone unnoticed.

“Vráin! Get out from there or wait for me!” he saw Gráin’s angry face against the dim light far up.

“Yes, yes…right after I have checked this tunnel!” And with that Vráin plunged through the narrow opening to the mine. A muffled “Vráin” rang behind him.

Vráin crept on all fours for some way before he felt the tunnel widen around him; cool air breathed over his face. He rose and hurried forward. The tunnel wound here and there but yet it didn’t branch. Something warned Vráin not to shout and for once he listened to the little voice inside him. It was too quiet for his liking.

Shortly Vráin’s fears proved true. In the darkness he stumbled to something which with further examination turned out to be a net. The ground was trampled. They have taken her, those filthy savages! Vráin raged and ran blindly forward.

Had Gráin been with him he could have warned Vráin that that sort of action comes with a prize. But undoubtedly things would have ended the same way in either case. So it was Vráin’s destiny to run into an opponent beyond his might: the stone wall!

For a while after the collision Vráin just sat in the ground holding his hurting head and hoping the little lights would stop scintillating in his eyes. When he finally risked to rise again the lights had gone out save for one persistent twinkler. By now Vráin’s keen eyes, used to look for gemstones in the deepest and darkest mines under the mountains, had seen that this gleaming light was no illusion. He reached for it and his hand met with something solid – a bright gem in a broken necklace. This is the way they used to retreat!

The pulsating bump in Vráin’s forehead had driven some sense into his head and now he stood in silence, listening eagerly. There was no sounds to be heard or light to be seen, neither ahead nor behind. But the fresh air flowing from the marked tunnel told Vráin that not far ahead was the way out. After a short moment of consideration Vráin spun round on his heels and jogged back to the others as swiftly as he could. Nearing the end of the tunnel he started to shout

“They have Elentari! They took her!”

Several heads shaded the opening of the pit from above as Vráin finally peered up.

“They attacked her. But I know where they went! If you still have the map then make use of it and look for a camp in the northwest. There you’ll find the villains’ lair!” Vráin paused to catch his breath. “Aravorn, should some of us ride there? Or will we all go through the tunnels?”

“I know the place you are talking about!” Aravorn exclaimed. “Rangers!” he called for his men and beckoned towards the horses. In a second they had mounted and were ready to leave. The moon was steadily westering and stars shone brighter; it was no more than two hours till the dawn.

“Who will come with me? Two or three more, with swiftest horses. The rest of you: follow Vráin!”

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 06-16-2003, 11:40 PM   #91
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It only took a few minutes to split up into two groups of almost equal size, with one contingent following Vrain and the other gathering in a circle around Aravorn. They agreed to meet on the outskirts of the bandits' camp, where they hoped to mount a unified attack. Still, if Elentari's life was being actively threatened, each of them knew they might have to break this pledge and go hurtling into battle as soon as they reached the ruffians' encampment.

A number of the companions clambered down into the blackened pit with torches and lanterns brightly lit to try and make out where the tunnel was leading and to keep their balance on the ledge which was made up of a mishmash of mud, rock, and rotting planks. They found the going difficult, sometimes sinking up to their knees in mud, and other times crawling over jagged boulders in spots where the path almost seemed to disappear. Vrain worried whether they were really following the same route that the bandits had used to haul off Elentari, since he couldn't imagine how they'd managed to drag her through some of these narrow passages.

With considerable difficulty, they helped each other over the spots where obstacles jutted out into the path, or wet, slick ground made it hard to keep their footing. Still, with Vrain in the lead, they made steady progress until they reached the mouth of a tunnel which looked out from the southeast over the bandits' camp. The Dwarf immediately asked everyone to douse their torches and lanterns and to stand in silence, until he could figure out where the Ranger had brought the other group.

Those on horseback had made it to the camp more quickly than those who'd come through the tunnel. They had initially started out at a pace no faster than a loping canter. However, Aravorn managed to locate one of the manicured pathways where all the grass had been cut back, and they had quickened their pace considerably. They'd continued at a steady, hard gallop and, as luck would have it, met no more covered pits or other traps. They now crouched in the wooded grove just northeast of the main encampment.

Creeping in under cover of long grass, Aravorn could see that three sentries had been posted along the perimeter of the bandits' camp to guard their prisoner and forestall any attack. One of the men stood wide awake and alert, but a second had gone off in the woods on the opposite side of camp to relieve himself while the last was curled up snoring on the ground. Elentari's drooping body was still pinioned against a large tree, held in place by ropes that cruelly bound her arms and legs.

Since there seemed to be no immediate danger to the Elf, Aravorn took time to search for some indication where the other companions were. An instant later, the hoot of a horned owl split the quiet of the night. The sound was too perfect to belong to a real bird. Aravorn turned around in the direction of the noise and peered out in the darkness, as several dwarves and men emerged at the foot of a hill just to his left.

[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-17-2003, 06:49 AM   #92
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

After depleting their stocks of ale, the bandits were very ready for sleep. Boy's father decided that they wouldn'tgo out looking for the woman's friends yet, they had done enough tonight and a rest was well deserved.

No one seemed to have made the discovery that Elentari was an Elf, not a Woman. Indeed, they had all been far too keen on celebratingn and at any rate, she was firmly tied, the rope would have to be cut for her to escape and they had taken any weapon she had. Her sword had, of course, ended up with Boy's father and he now slept with it right beside him. On his other side was Boy and arranged around them were three other sleeping forms. The other three men were 'on guard' though truth be told only one was.

[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: dragoneyes ]
Old 06-18-2003, 01:54 PM   #93
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Gráin struggled forward in the dim, devious and dreary tunnel deep in his thoughts. He still marvelled at the change which had come over his brother after Aravorn’s words. ’Follow Vráin!’ he says and suddenly my brother has brains?

And so it was that Vráin seemed different, grave and considering like never before; the responsibility for the others weighed heavy on him. He was now leading their little group and he couldn’t afford to make a single mistake – for the lives of them all were at stake.

Cold sweat trickled on Vráin’s still aching forehead and his palms were clammy. “If we ever survive this then let others lead – and no complaints will they ever hear from me…” Vráin murmured to the darkness ahead where the soft walls swallowed his words casting back no echo. Once more the treacherous ground gave away under his feet and he tumbled to the left. The lantern in his hand swayed and then smashed against the wall as Vráin tried to keep his balance. The flame flickered and was gone. Blackness deepened around him.

Others were some way behind him for Vráin had gone scouting. Vráin was about to turn back and ask for a torch when he saw the veil of darkness part some way ahead. After the gloomy caves the moonlit greyness looked bright as daybreak in the dwarf’s eyes.

“Come now, I see light and smell the fresh air!” Vráin called cautiously, urging others forward.

“Well, it was about time; the riders surely are waiting for us already.” came Gráin’s low voice right behind him. “All, put out your torches and lanterns! We don’t wish to be seen as we step out.” Soft hisses and reeks from the dying fires filled the darkening air. The pale looming ahead was soon their only light.

The group crawled out from the tunnel, tired and messy but without a sound. The entrance was well covered by thick bushes and wall of trees. The moon was already low and eastern sky began to foreshadow a new sunrise. The chill hour before dawn surrounded the silent travellers and crept under their cloaks. Vráin shivered and turned to look for any sign of Aravorn and the rest of the company. Some way to his right he thought he saw something move.

“Rowan,” Vráin whispered and slipped to the man’s side; “can you hoot like an owl?” Rowan gave him a queer look but then nodded silently and put his hands around his mouth. The sound he made would have fooled anyone save a Ranger. Soon an answer echoed in the air.

“Aravorn,” Vráin said solemnly; “Let’s go and meet him.”

Vráin lead the group under his command around the thickest thorns and young osiers that blocked their straight way. Under the great maple trees there was less undergrowth and the company could move without a sound. Soon they reached the dark figures of their companions.

Vráin sighed with relief. “Aravorn…” he began but the Ranger gesticulated that he ought to keep silent. Suddenly Vráin was aware of the bandits’ camp just a stone’s throw away. The trees shielded the site from the tunnel’s side so that those who had come through that way couldn’t have noticed the encampment before.

Vráin and Gráin peered out to see what they were against at. Only one watchman seemed to be taking his task somewhat seriously, his head was turning this way and that and his seeking eyes gleamed in the light of a lonely, half covered lantern.

Vráin’s eyes hit first to the bent figure of Elentari and the sight made his blood boil with just rage. Presently the elf seemed to stir as if she had indeed felt the presence of her friends; a faint groan escaped her lips. The watchful sentry heard her and turned around. For a while the man seemed a bit uneasy, likely pondering if he should wake up their leader to deal with the waking prisoner. But then some malicious idea obviously formed in his crooked mind for a ghoulish grin emerged on his lips. The scoundrel took a step towards Elentari and Vráin gasped: he saw cold steel flash in the dark.

Others had seen the same horrid gleam and no words were needed . There was no time to organise a planned attack. Swords clanged, axes rose and arrows were drawn from quivers. Aravorn beckoned to his left and right trying to broaden their front. The sentry stopped as if he had heard something. Aravorn glanced at Vráin and whispered;

“'In unison shall our weapons be drawn.'”

“And in unison shall our battle-cries ring!” Vráin called, now heedless of the noise he was making; “Let them know we are coming!” And with that they leaped forward.

“Dáin!!!”

“Elendil!!!”

[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 06-18-2003, 05:26 PM   #94
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

The group had headed towards the bandits lair. Ewinda had fallen into a pit. Elentari had been captured. Rowan and most of the Company of the Dragon went down into the tunnel. It was extremely dark. All Rowan saw was rocks, dirt, bugs, and occasionally roots as they walked though the arid tunnel. It was definitely an old mineshaft. The group finally immerged from the tunnel. It was now about a hour from dawn and extremely dark. Few stars shone that night, and it was somewhat foggy. “Rowan,” Vráin whispered and slipped to the man’s side; “can you hoot like an owl?” Giving Vráin a queer look, he put his hands over his mouth. An owl’s hoot echoed though the night. It was answered by another owl hoot. It was Aravorn.

Vráin led them soundlessly to where the rest of their companions were under a large maple tree. The bandits came was so close to them. Rowan held his breath. Then he caught sight of Elentari. *Gasp* Cold steel flashed in the dark. The watchman was going to kill her! Rowan overheard Aravorn whisper to Vráin ”In unison shall our weapons be drawn.'” “And in unison shall our battle-cries ring!” Vráin called, now heedless of the noise he was making; “Let them know we are coming!” And with that they leaped forward.

“Dáin!!!”

“Elendil!!!”

Rowan took their cue and leaped from the place they were hiding followed by the rest of their company and the rangers. The watchman turned around and was surprised at the sight he saw. Men, elves, and dwarves, all with weapons ready. Rowan pulled out his sword, and rushed in to the camp. The battle against the bandits had begun.

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
Old 06-18-2003, 06:55 PM   #95
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As the clash of blades descended on the camp, the bandits struggled to their feet and hurriedly snatched up swords and daggers, scurrying to throw on boots and rub sleep from their eyes. The two youngest thieves were the first to free themselves from their bedrolls and yank on their clothes.

Boy stared back at Johnny, with terror set deep in the pools of his eyes. The young lad seem petrified with fear as he surveyed the frightening scene that was going on around him. A band of six swiftly neared the perimeter of camp. The riders showed no sign of halting, but thundered forward till they reached the middle of the compound where the embers of the campfire still glowed orange and grey. The horsemen circled the fire pit, then stopped to draw out bows and launch a volley of arrows outward in all directions. Awakening bandits cursed and howled as missiles rained down upon their heads, making it difficult for them to see or regroup their forces on the edge of camp.

Still another band of seven Dwarves and Men sprinted in on foot from the base of the hill where the tunnels from the old mine spilled over onto a stretch of brush. Their mingled cries of "Dain" and "Elendil" resounded in the ears of the ruffians who were grabbing onto weapons and trying to fight back.

For once in his life, Johnny did the right thing. He grabbed Boy by the arm, slapped his face as hard as he could, and screamed into his ear, "Kid! Get out of here. Go hide somewhere."

Then he shoved Boy forward towards the west side of camp, the one place where fighting had not yet broken out. The lad stood still for a minute gathering his wits, then turned and fled westward. Within a few paces of camp, he found a low hanging willow whose long branches drooped down, almost touching the ground. Hurtling himself onto the lower limbs, Boy climbed up in the crook of the tree and swiftly continued upward from branch to branch until he found a secure niche where he would be safe for a while from the mayhem going on below.

It was at this moment that a cry came forth from Aravorn's mouth. "Forward swiftly! Those cowards are attacking Elentari." With that, the company surged towards the tree where the Elf's body had been hung a few hours before. Two thieves had now untied her bonds, placed a knife to her throat, and were trying to use her as a human shield so they could escape from camp.

[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-18-2003, 09:06 PM   #96
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Gráin rushed forward after Vráin and Aravorn with his axe high above his head. The camp ahead was in stir, the villains had woken and they seemed to need no time to prepare; swords were raised to meet the attackers. Gráin saw the riders in the middle, firing arrows almost blindly into the still black night. That is of no use in this darkness! Unless our luck truly changes…

In Vráin’s mind there was no room for such musings. His cry drowned to the noise of the battle about him but still his mouth opened to shout. He heard nothing but the blood surging in his ears; his eyes and mind were fixed on one goal only. Elentari... save Elentari!

Vráin saw the two villains unleashing the elf and using her as a living shield against the arrow-rain. He groped for his knives but then hesitated, narrowing his eyes in the dark. Elentari and her captors were like one great body, wrapped in shadows. There were no clear lines - and no target.

“No! They can’t get away!” the dwarf cried out. He glanced around, determined to find a way to stop the crooks’ escape. The answer to his prayers came to him right when Gráin reached him from behind.

“Elves! One elven arrow is all we need!” With that he spun round and almost bumped into Alcyávëiel.

“Quickly, your keen sight is needed!” and hastily Vráin pointed Elentari to the she-elf. In a matter of seconds Alcyávëiel snatched an arrow from her quiver, aimed and loosed the bow. A shivery scream cut the air as the arrow pierced the wretched man’s arm and the dagger slipped out of his hand. Elentari sunk to the ground.

Vráin wasted no more precious time. He took couple great leaps forward and reached the other man. The villain had lost his shield but he wasn’t unarmed. Presently he raised his rugged sword against the charging dwarf.

Had he seen the fire in Vráin’s eyes he would have shrunk and fled. Hah, a miserable dwarf! the thought could be read from his face. The man never had a chance to change his view about the race he so underrated. Vráin’s axe rose and fell; the mocking smile died on the man’s lips as the blade cut through his padded leather jacket and cleaved his breast.

Vráin was heedless of the warm blood that spurted on his face. He kneeled beside the elf, forgetting for a while the battle about him;

“Elentari…” he called gently but his tone was urging. “Elentari, we need to-…” Vráin ceased as he suddenly grew aware of the threat behind him. He knew it was too late to turn and defend - but he had to try. He heard the air stir before the coming stroke and his limp hand fell never reaching the handle of his axe.

Gráin had been distracted by the observation of two men trying to sneak under the deep shadows of the trees. Just then, from the corner of his eye, he caught a glimpse of Vráin bending over Elentari. But something else moved there too; a black shape against the grey darkness. Gráin gasped as he saw the shadowy figure rise behind his brother.

“Vráin!” his cry cleaved the air but too late.

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 06-19-2003, 09:05 AM   #97
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Lostlondwen followed the others into the fast striking battle. First a few shots with her bow, then she was eagerly chasing the ones running, now with her sword. Elentari, was not far away. One of the bandits held her and used her as a living shield. There was nothing she could do, for now.

Screams and other frightened voices rang in her ears. Most of the bandits ran, few of them faught. Therefore it caught her by suprise that a huge man, from behind, attacked her with his long sword. It glimpsed in the dark night and gave noises as terrible as wolf howling. The clinging of the two swords meeting eachother for the first time, died in the shadows from the trees. She wasn't thinking, not clearly anyhow. Fully aware of the danger, she had thrown herself into this battle, and she was not to lose. She wouldn't let herself.

From not far away, the bandit who held their companien and friend gave a shriek and lost his dagger to the soft grass. The Elven arrow who had struck him, was deadly. Then it was him, standing in front of Lostlondwen. He wouldn't give up that easily, he seemed to be just as stubborn as herself. Her knees grew weak and she felt a pain in her shoulder. His grim face darkened. It was like, all light went out. She threw her sword desperately into the air and a cry full of pain died in the dark. A heavy body fell to the ground with hers.

Lostlondwen hadn't been laying there for long. The man beside her was both white and blue at the same time. It was lifeless body just laying there. Now, not before, she wished she hadn't killed him after all. A man was dead, because of her. He was a bandit tough. This man had both killed and robbed people. But was it really fair? She couldn't answer. This moment she would never forget, never.

Her toughts were interrupted by the voice of Vráin not far away. "Elentari, we need to.." There was a cry and then nothing. What was happening? Lostlondwen tought. She caught a glimpse of a shadow in the dark. An elf lay there. Now there was a dwarf too.

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]
Old 06-19-2003, 09:21 AM   #98
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Sting

They had all walked trough the dark tunnel and reached the bandits lair. Ewinda was almost regretting she came along. Although she had taken some elvish medicines she could feel that she was wounded, she wasn't quite herself. She was also afraid of what might happen. But then she rememberd that she did it for Elentari and the company. They didn't afford to lose another companien. Merenwen's death had been hard on them all and if Elentari died, there wouldn't be much strenght left to slay the dragon. Then another thought past trough her mind, they had to save the prisoners and Lostlondwen's mother!

"I can't think now, the only way we will be able to slay the dragon is to get us all out of here, alive. And we aren't going to do that if we don't fight." she said to herself. She grabbed her sword and suddenly she felt a tearing pain in her back. But she didn't have the time to think anymore, because one of the bandits were heading towards her. Behinde him she saw a quick glimpse of Elentari before the bandits body coverd both her and the moonlight. He came almost running and with his sword in his hand. She was sure, she was sure he would use it to kill.

His sword did some quick moves, but he missed Ewinda with an inch. She heard the sound of the sword cutting the wind, but in her ears it was almost like the shreaking voice of death. Once more and then Ewinda fought back. " You aren't getting me that easy," she cried at him as she stuck her sword in his chest. He said nothing just fell heavely to the ground as Ewinda turned away.

Now there was a free bane. She hurried over towards where she had seen Elentari. She was now laying on the ground. Beside her lay a dwarf, it was Vráin.

Gráin was already there.

"Vráin," he said in a quiet voice.

"I think he has passed out," Ewinda said.

"We must get him to safety,and Elentari too perhaps" Gráin wispherd in a troubled voice.

"I know, but where?" Ewinda asked.

Ewinda turned as she heard running behind her. "oh, it's you" she said to Lostlondwen.

"We have one down, perhaps two" Ewinda informed the newcomer.

They all looked at eachother, they all knew that they were thinking the same. " What were they to do?"

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]
Old 06-19-2003, 04:05 PM   #99
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Boy watched from a little way away, from up in his tree. He watched as his life was sliced away by these intruders, the best life he had ever had. His hand had nearly been impaled by one of the arrows from the horsemen but it was now stuck fast in the tree, not his body. He turned his gaze back towards the battle.

His father had gone down, using his newly stolen weapon. Perhaps it would have been better if he'd used his old sword, that one never failed him, but it was too late now. He'd seen a couple of men run off into the forest, it was probably just as well for them that his father was dead, otherwise they'd be the dead ones. He'd seen the failed attempt to use the woman as a sheild and Johnny had been slain, but not before he'd made his mark on a...very short man? He couldn't see well in this light, but that was what it looked like, he couldn't think what else it could be, it most certainly wasn't a halfling.

Boy wasn't entirely sure which group he was rooting for. On the one hand, there were the bandits, his old way of life. It was perhaps not the best way of life, but it sustained him and he'd known worse. On the other hand there were the intruders but that could go either way, they could give him a better life than he could ever dreamed of, or they could slay him like the theif, and to some extent murderer, he was. He was proud that he'd never killed anyone with his own hands, even if he had led them to it. He resolved to wait for the outcome of the battle and then he'd decide whether to reveal himself or no.

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: dragoneyes ]
Old 06-20-2003, 04:30 PM   #100
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The blow to Vrain might have found its mark and cleaved the mighty dwarf in two, but for one stroke of luck. Elentari had been lying in the mud unconscious when she suddenly found her eyes groggily opening, becoming aware of the battle going on all around her. As the reality of the moment sunk in, her first thought was to grope down with her fingers to find her sword and daggers which always hung about her waist. But her weapons were not there. Even if they had been, she did not have the strength to stand up and fight.

Her head throbbed and her body ached as the world wavered in and out before her eyes. Then it happened. She saw the ruffian reach for his weapon and swing it downwards for the final stroke on top of the dwarf's head. Summoning all her strength, she rolled over in the mud and grabbed hold of the bandit's leg. Once more, Elentari valiantly struggled to stand up and fight, but to no avail. Then, in desperation, the Elf reached out to grab the man's leg and sank her teeth neatly in the flesh of his calf.

The ruffian howled with rage and pain as his mighty stroke was deflected. His weapon hit home but only along the side of Vrain's head, rather than hitting him full on the brow and offering him mortal injury. With an angry kick, he'd knocked Elentari's and Vrain's bodies over to the side. It was Ewinda and Lostlondwen who valiantly slipped into the heat of battle and managed to gather them up one at a time dragging their bodies to safety at the edge of the compound.

The battle was beginning to wane. Four of the thieves had been slain and two more rounded up for capture. The remaining thug had taken off into the thick grass, but several companions were already giving chase.

Aravorn had his men guard the unconscious Elf leader and the dwarf, and asked one of the companions to go off and search for water and some herbs which he would need to help tend the wounded. One of the companions readily agreed to do this task and ran off with a water bottle. Suddenly, from just outside the camp came an excited voice, "Aravorn, come quickly. There's a child...."

[ June 20, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-21-2003, 03:31 PM   #101
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

After a few moments of intense dragging, Ewinda and Lostlondwen had dragged both the dwarf and the elf to a safe place. They were both unconcsious when Aravorn comanded some of his men stand guard over them. Lostlondwen stirred at the elf and dwarf, looking as they were asleep. All had happened so fast. She felt exshaused and her only desire was to have a good night sleep. But she couldn't really see how she could sleep now, when all this had happend. Therefore she volunteered to fetch some herbs and search for water, which Aravorn would need to tend the wounded. She grabbed the bottle and started off into the night.

The voices of her companiens died soon away, Lostlondwen was now alone. The cool air touched her skin and she shuddered. It pricked and made her feel uncomfortable. Something was watching her, or someone. But she couldn't tell for sure. Lostlondwen kept on walking, in silence. She walked a few paces not daring to look back. For a few seconds she just stirred out into the night. Hoping the sound of another breathing, was just an imagination. She waited, and waited. There was no sound. Just me then, she tought and walked on.

Water was dripping, she could hear it. Not far away, she cold glimpse the silver drops fall on the ground and into a little pool. Where is the water coming from? she tought. Loslondwen stepped forwards, taking the bottle into the cold water and filling it. She found the herbs near by. They had a wierd smell, good tough. Just an unusual smell. High up in the black cold night she saw the tree tops. Loslondwen found a solid branch and started to climb. There was a much better wiew here. Even tough it was dark, very dark, she managed to see several people, who had to be the company. Luckily they were not very far away, she would reach them in about ten minutes.

She slipped down from the branch, and trodged away. For a few paces she actually ran, but then, at the same spot she had heard breahting before, she could hear it again. She spun around. No one. But the breaths grew even stronger. Who ever it is, must be getting frightened or something, she tought. Unfortunatly the dark made it impossible for Lostlondwen to see anything. For a few moments she just stood there, listening. There was a sound, it was a branch braking. The trees, she tought. She glansed up just in time to see a dark, small figure, sneaking in one of the trees. From the ground it seemed to be a boy. It couldn't have been a full grown man, not up in that tree. Anyhow, she wouldn't be able to take this boy now, whoever he was. She hadn't got anything to protect herself in any matter. Then she rememberd; the bottle and the herbs. We've got to come later then, she muttered and ran in the direction the others were.

"Aravorn, come quickly. There's a child...." she burst out. The others looked up and noticed her arrival.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:51 AM   #102
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"Aravorn, come quickly. There's a child...." Gráin heard Lostlondwen's cry, faint and distant like coming from another world. He raised his head but everything was a blur in his eyes. The first rays of the rising sun peeked over the horizon.

Gráin turned back to his brother and with great caution took off his broken headpiece. Suddenly Vráin stirred and moaned, still in his sleep. Then slowly, very slowly he tried to open his eyes. Pale light illuminated his face, revealing a nasty bruise on his right temple. Gráin sighed with relief;

"Brother..."

"Gráin, why it's so dark in here? Are we in the caves again? Where are you?" Vráin spoke in a faint voice staring into the brightening morning.

Gráin felt the icy fist of horror tighten around his heart. With all strength he had left he managed to suppress the scream that swelled inside of him. For a while there was a dead silence. Vráin turned his head from side to side though it seemed to cause him great pains.

"Gráin? Why don’t you answer me?"

"Vráin..." someone began from behind Gráin’s back. Gráin startled but then hushed the speaker with a demanding gesture. Then he struggled to speak in a calm voice.

"Vráin, I’m here", Gráin almost whispered and took his brother’s hand, looking straight at his eyes. But Vráin’s wandering gaze found no hold in the darkness that veiled his sight.

"It’s so dark..." Gráin heard his brother’s tired voice and felt helpless like never before.

"I know." he trembled; "But now you need to rest. That was a heavy blow you took. Sleep, my brother." Vráin’s strained expression relaxed and he closed his eyes. Gráin sat on the ground and listened to Vráin’s steadying breath. All about him nature woke up to a bright, new day but no light penetrated the blackness of his thoughts. Seconds, minutes passed and still he sat there, clutching his brother’s hand. Then a weight on his shoulder roused him;

"Gráin..." There was a voice full of pity. Pity!? Gráin stood up and roughly pushed aside the helping hand.

"No!" was the only word he could form at the moment. Helplessness, grief, bitterness...the feelings intermingled - and from the mixture grew blind rage; "No!"

Gráin seized his axe and sprung forward, heedless of his companions around him. Laying dead on the ground he saw the rotten dog that had carried out the blow against his brother. Madness took him and red curtain fell over his eyes. His axe rose. One cruel stroke and the wretched head rolled aside. The watchers behind him gasped; some lowered their heads - and deep in their hearts they understood.

Gráin threw away the bloody axe and with unseeing eyes he rushed into the forest. Wind wailed in his ears and boughs hit him in the face. Suddenly he stumbled to a wry root and fell over. With one last effort Gráin tried to stood up but fell back on his knees. The strength of rage had passed from his limbs. He cried out loud and then veiled his face in his hands.

"It should have been me..." he whispered into the silence.

[ June 22, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 06-23-2003, 01:27 PM   #103
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Selven watched as Grain stepped back from the bloodied remains of the beast, then turned and stumbled into the forest. The Dwarf's torment was so clearly written on his face that it was painful for the Elf to see.

Selven turned hurriedly to Nalin. "Tell the others I've gone to get Grain. Aravorn said to leave this accursed place and head to our old campsite that stands some five miles closer to the road. Elentari's not up to leading the band yet. She'll need a day or two to rest. Can you help Aravorn get the others moving in an hour or so and set up camp? I'll follow along with Gráin."

Nalin nodded his head in agreement, "I'll take Vráin with me. Aravorn will help Elentari if she needs it."

With that, Selven turned and vanished into the forest as he carefully followed in Gráin's tracks.

[ June 23, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-23-2003, 01:53 PM   #104
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Hearing Lostlondwen's urgent calls, Aravorn turned his attention away from the injured companions and went to see what the problem was.

He looked up towards where the Elf was pointing and was startled to see a young lad hurriedly climbing down from the tree. The minute the boy's feet hit the ground, he scampered back several paces as if he was uncertain whether to stay or to rn.

Aravorn took in the boy's ragged clothes, the bruises on his body and the tears brimming out of his eyes. Then he held his hands outward with his palms extended so the lad could see that he was not brandishing a weapon, "It's alright boy, whoever you are. I've a feeling you've just lost some kin, and I'm sorry for that. But this band has brought sadness to many and had to be stopped. I wish it could have been different."

The boy eyed him warily, then walked a step or two closer. "You're hungry, aren't you? If you come back with us, I'll make sure you get a hot plate of stew. Then you'll be free to stay or go. If you have other kin, we'll help to find them. If not, you're welcome to stay with us and put your skills to use. We could use a good, strong lad and I promise we'd treat you fair. We'll need to start by getting you a pony. But, either way, you're not our prisoner. It's your choice to stay or leave. You decide and let me know."

Aravorn turned to leave and motioned Lostlondwn to do the same. The boy hestitated a minute, and then followed behind in their footsteps.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:11 PM   #105
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elentari woke, but she kept her eyes closed. She heard what passed between Grain and Vrain. Blindness is a terrible thing, thought Elentari. Not being able to see the beauty of the world. No, Elentari, when she was well again, would use a special medicine that Lorin had taught her. Perhaps that could help to restore his sight. Or maybe it would return naturally, but only time would tell.

Elentari opened her eyes to see her friends standing around her and Vrain. She tried to raise her head and speak, but she slipped back ino the depths of the unconsious world and knew no more.

[ June 24, 2003: Message edited by: ElentariGreenleaf ]
Old 06-23-2003, 02:18 PM   #106
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It did not take Selvren long to find the stricken Dwarf. He saw Grain's crumpled body at the foot of a massive oak as the Dwarf hid his face in his hands and silent tears ran down his cheeks. When Gráin turned and caught a glimpse of Selven, he immediately stood up and willed his face back into a blank mask. The Dwarf gruffly replied, "I know my duty. I'm coming back. I just needed a minute to be alone. You can go now."

Selvren nodded his head, "Anyone would need a moment after what you've just been through. Come walk with me back to the others. Then we'll mount on our horses and head back towards camp."

Grain looked alarmed until Selvren added, "We'll be lendng a hand to Elentari and your brother helping to carry them along on horseback or building a sledge if they find that more comfortable."

Grain said nothing but grudgingly continued to walk alongside Selvren.

"Grain, there's something else I wanted to say. I've been on this earth a good while longer than you and have seen many a man take a blow to the head. It's not unheard of to suffer blindness. Sometimes the blindness stays but sometimes there is healing. A day, a week, even a month later, the eyesight may return. I can't promise you that will happen, but there is hope."

"And something else. You love your brother with your whole heart. But you must love him enough to let him make his own choices. You did nothing to cause him grief. It was his will and desire to do the brave deed he did. That's the kind of man he is. You can't change that, and you wouldn't want to."

For a while they walked along in silence, with Grain staring stubbornly at the ground. As they neared camp, Selvren reached down to pick up the bloodied axe where Grain had thrown it and carried it over to a nearby stream, dipping the blade in water to wash off the stains. Then he handed the weapon back and simply said, "Don't give up hope, Gráin. And, if you ever need to talk, I am here." Then Selvren headed over and mounted his horse, urging the Dwarf to do the same.

[ June 24, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-23-2003, 04:31 PM   #107
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

The fight against the bandits had ended. Rowan hadn’t been seriously injured, a scrape or two here and there. He now sat on his horse next to Aravorn. Elentari had fainted and Vráin was blind. The group was now ready to ride. They rode slowly back to the old camp. The spirits of the group were dampened by the loss of a few rangers and the state of Vráin and Elentari. The sun was now rising behind a veil of darkness. It was pale and sad. Light slowly crept into the sky and illuminated the way back to the camp.

The ride passes slowly and silently. Everyone was grave and unsmiling. Finally after what seemed like an eternity they reached the camp. Their the laid Elentari and Vráin to rest and hoped that good heath would be restored to them. Rowan helped the rangers make a small meal. Everyone ate but the food didn’t taste right to Rowan.

He remembered the ride to the ranger’s camp with Vráin. He had become friends with Vráin and hoped only for the best for the dwarf. Now all he hoped was that the dwarf would recover from his blindness. His heart was heavy for Gráin. He also thought of Elentari and wished her to get better. She had led us this far she couldn’t stop now. They needed her if there was any hope for them to defeat the dragon.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:26 PM   #108
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Annunfuiniel's post:

"Don't give up hope, Gráin. And, if you ever need to talk, I am here."

Finally Gráin raised his head to look at the elf. Would he dare to hope? He saw his brother's face clearly in his mind and knew there was no other option; giving up would mean leaving Vráin all alone in the darkness.

Gráin took a deep breath, and then another. Anguish didn't go away but it turned bearable. Gráin took the bridle and prepared to mount his pony. Selvren had already turned his steed towards the camp when at last the Dwarf spoke;

"Selvren... Thank you, friend." The elf turned and rode back to Gráin as he mounted. Their eyes met for a moment and no more words were needed.

The two silent riders reached the old campsite before the third hour after dawn, though for Gráin each minute after the dreadful sunrise had felt as long as a year. He jumped off his saddle and ran to where his brother had been laid. Alcyávëiel kneeled beside Vráin and was just putting a bandage over his eyes. Gráin felt a stab of conscience; he should have been there, near his brother, and not running in the woods like a madman.

"Has he been awake?" he asked Alcyávëiel in a low but now clear voice.

"No, not so that he would remember it later," the she-elf answered; "I have done all I could. And later Elentari will tend to him. There's no better cure than time; but it is said that a dear, familiar voice can call some back, even from the gates of Mandos... I will leave you two alone now." Gráin felt the same hand on his shoulder that he had pushed away in the hour of despair. This time he let it be and silent strength flowed to his heart.

Slowly Vráin revived: from dark, shapeless dreams to even darker reality. Fumbling he reached for the cloth he could feel was covering his eyes. But before he managed this someone stopped him, gently but firmly.

"Gráin?"

"Yes, I'm here. Now let that bandage be though it might feel uncomfortable – - it's better that way."

"Why, what for?" Vráin questioned, starting to get irritated. But then he remembered something and tried to sit up; "The battle! I must..." His attempt ended in a smothered cry of pain and he sunk down to his mattress, without any requests from Gráin.

"The battle is over..... But brother, I need to tell you something..." Vráin heard the stammering voice of his big brother's and faintly, like from another time and place, he seemed to recall the same tone: Vráin...Trís, our sister...she's gone. Suddenly he felt Gráin's fingers touching his eyes –- and he knew. A long, desperate wail escaped his lips. But Gráin clutched his arms and held him still while tears rolled down his own cheeks and dropped on the white cloth over his brother's eyes.

"Vráin, listen to me – listen! I have received good counsel from our wise elf-friends and they say there is still hope: hope that you will get your sight back! So rest now, and I will be here when you wake up." Vráin wanted to fight against Gráin, against the whole world, but he was too tired to do that. Weariness, rather than the iron clasp of his brother's, held him down.

"I will find no rest in this darkness..." he whispered in a thick voice.

"I know... I would that this burden had been laid on me instead of you, my brave brother..." Vráin heard Gráin's muttered words before sleep took him. His answer was no louder than a breath of wind in the grass:

"I know you would..."

Old 06-23-2003, 11:44 PM   #109
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

For several days, the companions remained at their old campsite. They spent most of their time resting, gathering needed provisions, tending to Elentari's wounds, and trying to cheer up the two Dwarf brothers. The prisoners were sent on to Bree under the escort of two of the Rangers where they would be judged and asked to make some recompense for their crimes. However, Aravorn decided to remain behind with the company until Elentari was well enough to lead the group again.

The young lad whom they'd found by the side of the bandits' camp had taken a liking to Aravorn and the other Rangers, and followed them about trying to help in simple ways. When Aravorn finally departed near the end of the week, the boy freely chose to go with him with the promise of finding a new home and friends and a pony of his own as well as learning the skills that a young Ranger needed.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:51 PM   #110
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Orofaniel's post:

They spent several days at the camp, after their fight against the bandits. Ewinda thought that the battle couldn't have gone any worse. Elentari was wounded and Vrain was blind. Hopefully it would be healed with time. Anyway, her own back was back to normal, something she was happy about.

So the next days went by, slowly. Everyone felt so bad for Vrain and Grain so most of the time was used to comfort them. But they also used the time to rest. Ewinda was curious about what would happen next. Was Vrain going to continue? He was blind, but she had heard that it could be healed. But how soon, she didn't know. Neither did the rest of the company. And then, Elentari was also still wounded, but she would recover very soon.

In the evening two days after the fight Ewinda and the dwarves were the only one sitting by the fireside.

"How are you two doing?" she asked in a low and almost wisphering voice. After she'd said it she knew how stupid it must have sounded.

"Well, it could have been worse, I guess......" Vrain answerd. Grain remained silent.

"You then, your back I mean?" Grain asked shortly.

"My back is just fine. I'm more worried about your sight Vrain. But I'm sure it will be healed by time." She said in a comforting voice.

"Selven said do too, you know, so there is nothing to worry about really." She added quickly.

"Maybe you are right"

"I know I'm right," Ewinda said while a smile rounded her face. The dwarves tried to smile back, but she could see that it was difficult for them both. She couldn't blame them either, after what they'd been through. It had to be hard.

"Well, I think I'm going to bed, so good night and sweet dreams." Ewinda said while she stood up and walked away from the burning fire and hopefully her troubled thoughts as well.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:10 AM   #111
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elentari's wounds had healed quickly, so as soon as she could she had made up the special medicine and applied it to Vrain's eyes and where the blow had stuck him. Hopefully it would speed up the natural healing process. She made sure that both the brothers knew that if his sight returned, it was not because of some miracle she had performed, but that she merely helped speed up the healing process. If the eyes were never going to heal, then the medicine would do nothing, for naturally nothing would happen.

When it was time for Aravorn and the rangers to go, Elentari saw that the boy was packing to go with them.

"Child," said Elentari. "You have a good heart. It is a pitty your father got you mixed up in such a group. So you are going with the rangers?"

"Yes," replied Boy. "I want to learn the way of a ranger!"

Elentari smiled. "Aravorn will teach you all he knows, I'm sure. Well, you best be going. Take care, and may the Stars smile down on you for all of your days."

"Thank you," said Boy as he went to join Aravorn and the others.

A few days later, as the company sat down to their meal, Elentari made an announcement.

"I think you all know that we have tarried too long here. It is time we headed out on the trail again. The longer we wait, the more destruction that wyrm can cause. Our wounds have all healed, so their is nothing to stop us leaving."

As Elentari said 'Our wounds have all healed', she instantly knew the mistake in her words.

"Vrain, I am sure your eyes will heal soon," she said to Vrain afterward. "The Stars must have been smiling down on you for this to be your only injury from that blow. I have known hits like that to cause amnesia."

"Thank you Elentari," said Vrain quietly.

Elentari packed the supply bags and put them on Vrain's pony.

"Elentari, what are you doing?" asked Grain.

"You and Vrain are to ride back on your pony. I don't want him getting hurt anymore."

"You can't do that!" shouted Grain so that several of the company turned to see what Elentari was doing. "We've come too far now to have to go home."

"I'm sorry Grain, but my mind is made up."

Elentari went to put her own bags on Moon and left the company standing, moths open. They began to talk in low mummers so she couldn't hear.

"She can't do this to us," said Grain to Selven. "How am I to tell Vrain?"

"You know that she doesn't want anyone to get hurt. But maybe someone can talk her round."
Old 06-24-2003, 07:31 AM   #112
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Lostlondwen was been dying to get on the road again. Her nightmares had come back after the fight, and these were actually worse. The longer they stayed, the chances of finding her mother alive... Oh she couldn't bare the tought. The past few days they had just stayed at their campsite, waiting for Elentari's wounds to heal. As the time passed by, Lostlondwen grew bored and restless.

Then, at meal the following evening Elentari annouced their departure. Her wounds had finally healed.

Few moments after, loud voices broke out. She turned her head, and watched the others gather around the dwarves. Lostlondwen ran from her horse, which she had been so eager to tell that they were leaving, and listened to the dwarf's voice.

"You can't do that!" Grain shouted.

Lostlondwen found herself standing between Ewinda and Rowan.

"What is it?" Lostlondwen whispered. Both the dwarves looked as if they had seen a ghost. They were pale, and seemed to be fustrated.

"I've made up my mind," Elentari replied.

"What is she talking about?" Lostlondwen asked. Both Ewinda and Rowan were quiet, and hadn't yet answered her fist question. After a few moments, when Ewinda saw Lostlondwen waa starting to get irritated she answered:
"She is, kind of sending them home."

"Kind of sending them home? What is that supposed to mean," Lostlondwen said. She didn't wait for an answer before she burst out again.

"They have come so far, can't send them home then... Can you?"

Ewinda didn't say anything. In fact, all were being silent.

"She says, she can't risk any of them getting hurt again," Rowan muttered.

Lostlondwen wasn't following. Everyone could get hurt. Any moment. This journey had been full of perils and foes, and yet they hadn't met their worst foe, the dragon. And here she told them that she couldn't risk anyone getting hurt? Then they shouldn't have gone on this journey, they shouldn't have joined this company. Lostlondwen didn't want to seem as she didn't care about her companiens, it just wasn't the time, sending people home. Vrain had fought, he was, and had been brave, and if he wanted to stay, so be it, she tought. In fact she couldn't bare the tought of being on the road again, without the two of them, without the funny dwarves.

[ June 24, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]
Old 06-24-2003, 12:25 PM   #113
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Go back? Go home!?!

"Never!!!" Vráin's cry drowned suddenly all the other voices; "Leave me here if you wish but know that I will follow you to the Blue Mountains, crawling on all fours if need be!" the Dwarf's frustrated rage overflowed. "Elentari, I'm not just a foolish dwarf after some light adventure. If this indeed is what you think of me then I have only one thing to say to you: You are wrong! Has your despairing heart blurred your sight? Do you think I have come this far and suffered all this just to give up and turn back? NO! I will go with you till the end and should I perish on the way... then so be it. Don't you see? There is no turning back – for any of us..."

With that Vráin turned away and called for his pony. The beast came and Vráin groped for its bridle.

"Here..." Gráin was beside his brother and aided him. All about them the camp waited in dumbfounded silence. Vráin leaned heavily on Gráin's shoulder and mounted his steed, clutching tight to the saddle bow. Gráin stood by him and knew Vráin had made his decision: he would go forth. Gráin looked up at the dear figure. And I will go with him!

Vráin bent to his brother and whispered: "Turn the pony so that it will go straight towards west."

"Now," Vráin called out to his companions; "I'm going to hunt down the bloody Dragon! You may come with me or take your own routes; but our goal...our fate is the same. Farewell!" And with that he raised his head and urged his pony forward. The rest of the company stood dead still, watching as the blind Dwarf rode on. Suddenly a cry pierced the silence:

"Wait!"

[ June 24, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 06-26-2003, 12:21 AM   #114
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Elentari's post:

"Wait!" shouted Elentari. "I cannot allow you to go Vrain."

Vrain did not stop riding. He would not be stopped. He had vowed to help slay the dragon, and slay the dragon he would, with or without the company.

Elentari ran up to Vrain and ran along side as he rode away. She managed to reach the pony's reigns and pull it to a stop.

"Vrain," she said softly. "I'm doing this for your own good."

"Elentari," he replied. "I respect you, and that you don't want anyone else to get hurt like Merewen, but I am going. I'd rather go with the company, but you wont allow me to."

Elentari considered all Vrain had said. After some times, she came to her conclusion.

"I suppose I'll have to let you come along. It's mre dangerous for you to go alone. With the company, you will have friends around to protect you. It is not for me to decide for you where you go, so do what you wish."

Elentari took some bags off Vrain's pony and shared them about for the other horses to carry. She then got on Moon, waiting for the others to finish clearing up the camp.

[ June 28, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-26-2003, 12:49 AM   #115
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

The company was on the rode yet again. The company had stayed in the old campsite for a few days healing their wounds. And most were healed except that Vráin was still blind. After all the disorder about the dwarf brothers coming on the rest of the journey, Elentari had taken pity on them and let them come. Now they were headed west to the Grey Havens. The journey took many days. Most of the time Rowan stayed by Vráin and Gráin in case they needed any help. He spent much of the time talking to the dwarf brothers.

The trip was long and boring. Scenery consisted of plains and bottomlands with small forests scattered around. The sun was high in the air and it was warm. I wonder why we are going to the Grey Havens, Rowan thought as they rode on steadily. They saw few animals or living creatures for that matter. Well until they arrived at the borders of the Shire.

Soon they arrived at the edges of a forest. They stayed at many inns as they traveled though small towns. Towns filed with halflings. They were in the Shire! Rowan remembered hearing about this place from the Hobbits in Bree. The rode past many hobbits. They all looked confused at the sight of men, elves, and dwarves. They probably aren’t use to travelers going though their town.

[ June 26, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
Old 06-26-2003, 07:24 AM   #116
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Night had grown dark hours ago but still Farin couldn’t sleep. Once more she turned and then sat up. Immediately her gaze fixed on Vráin’s motionless figure just a few paces away.

There’s nothing you can do! Go to sleep! Farin tried to convince herself – without much success. Her heart was heavy with worry…and guilt. Sighing she stood up and looked round their camp. Under an old elm tree she saw Selvren, whose watch it was that night, and quietly she headed to him.

Selvren startled first but then relaxed as he recognised the comer. “Peaceful night,” the elf spoke softly as Farin sat beside him and drew her knees up towards her breast.

“For some…” she whispered and then fell silent. The crescent moon shone pale light up in the southern sky but a chill wind blew from north. Farin shuddered and pulled her cloak tighter around her.

“Selvren, I can take your watch if you like. I won’t sleep tonight anyway…” Farin said at last. She could read the worried question from the elf’s eyes and forced a small smile on her lips. “I’ll be fine tomorrow. I just need to be alone for a while and think things through.”

Selvren nodded; “Good night then. And remember: I’m wary of giving advice but if you need someone to listen to you…I’m always there.” And with that he left Farin alone under the elm.

An hour passed and still Farin sat silent. But ever and anon her gaze wandered to Vráin and inside of her head the storm was growing. Suddenly she stood up and stepped forward. A pace and then she hesitated. Go to him! her mind urged her body, and she moved on.

Vráin slept peacefully. The white cloth was removed from his eyes for the night. Slowly, cautiously, Farin kneeled beside his head and then reached out her hand, almost touching Vráin’s grey brown hair.

“Vráin…” she whispered and her voice was no louder than a brush of wind in the grass. There was a moment of silence as Farin held her breath. A wailing cry of an owl rose and then died down. The moon slipped behind a cloud. But Vráin didn’t move.

“Vráin, I’m so sorry…” Farin stammered; and the dam broke. Tears long restrained flowed freely. “I saw the blow coming… I saw it and did nothing, I froze…And now it’s too late to ask for your forgiveness…” The words came out in bursts between silent sobs. She felt like crying out loud and had to struggle to keep her voice down.

Farin took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Then, all of a sudden, a faint memory from her childhood filled her mind and gave her comfort. Slowly she opened her teary eyes and looked at Vráin. She raised her hands in ancient blessing, passed from mother to daughter for years uncounted.

“Light of my life: may your path be bright to forever walk right.”

Farin leaned over Vráin’s face and kissed the air just over his brow. Two last tears rolled down her cheeks and dropped on Vráin’s closed eyelids. The dwarf stirred in his sleep. Farin startled and drew back - but nothing happened. Vráin slept peacefully again. Farin stood up and silently she walked back to her post.

Vráin lay on the ground, eyes closed tight, and Farin’s teardrops mingled with his own tears. He had heard every word and felt her pain. Yet he had not spoken a word and the darkness had veiled his expressions.

Presently the moon peeked again from behind the clouds and revealed Vráin’s pale face. I should have said something! But first I didn’t wish to speak with anyone and then…Then I couldn’t find the words. Vráin’s thoughts were all confused save for one clear voice that rang in his head:

That blessing! Gods, I’ve been blind the whole time! He’s not he but she; Farin’s a girl!

Vráin couldn’t sleep that night. But still he didn’t go to her. Not yet, he thought; I’m not ready…nor is she.

[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 06-26-2003, 07:28 AM   #117
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As the horses and riders made their way down the road, the miles slipped by in rapid succession with the company moving steadily westward. Their first stop came near the Bridge of Stonebows that passed over the muddied waters of the Brandywine and led the travellers along the thickets and weald of Buckland.

After that point, they had no difficulty finding comfortable lodgings in several Inns that stretched out beside the Great Road from one end of the Shire to the other. Each night they settled at different Inns and hostelries to rest their tired bodies and replenish their supplies. The Shire towns of Frogmorton, Bywater, Waymeet, and Michel Delving quickly sped by on Elentari's map.

The local hobbits stared curiously at them and seemed surprised to see so many different Elves, Dwarves, and Men all marching onward in a single band. Many of the friendly hobbit lads and lasses crept up closer to have a look at Elentari and the other Elves. With her bright Elven eyes and the great broadsword resting on her hip, Elentari quickly drew the attention of all, especially since many had never seen a woman attired in this fashion.

Leaving the cheerful comaraderie of the Shire behind, the companions forged on across open fields and hills in the direction of the Lhun. There was less talking and laughter now, and more faces that had grim, serious expressions as they came nearer their destination. Elentari seemed reflective and withdrawn as she rode by herself at the head of the column without looking back at any of the others. When Selvern gently questioned her about this behavior, she'd shrugged her shoulders with a hint of a sad smile, and refused to say anything else.

One evening when everyone was seated around the campfire, she broke her silence and tersely explained more about where they were going. "Before we can tackle the mountains and the dragon, we'll need to stop at the Havens. It's been a long road. The Havens is the only place where we can get the supplies we'll need."

Curious to learn more about a place that seemed so utterly mysterious to Men and Dwarves, Rowan and Falin began asking questions about what they might see in the Havens. Elentari still sat silently apart so Alcyaveiel tried to explain a little about what the Havens meant for those of Elvish blood.

"It is a place of great hope, yet also of sadness. Hope, because for many, it is the final step in a journey that began a thousand years before. They are returning to a land of light and beauty. A place where the Elves were summoned by the Ainur many eons ago."

"But you spoke of sadness," Vráin ojected. "How could there be sadness in such a beauteous place?"

"Ah, the sadness lies not in the land but in the Elven kin themselves. For while some may decide to sail, others elect to stay behind. And there is sadness when friends and family are sundered from each other."

More than that Alcyaveial would not say. But by the next afternoon, the company reached the outskirts of the Havens and everyone could see the blue water of the Bay of Lhun lying just ahead. And, much to everyone's surprise, they could also see the outline of a great Elven ship waiting in the harbor which was scheduled to depart on the Lost Road for the Blessed Lands the very next day. The Men and Dwarves in the Company were curious to go down and have a closer look at the harbor, but Elentari quietly shook her head 'no' and insisted they concentrate on the business at hand and purchase the needed supplies so they could depart the very next morning for the dragon's lair.

It was late afternoon when they mounted the steps of the Swanship Inn, and went up to the proprietor to ask for a meal and lodgings for the night.

[ June 27, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-26-2003, 07:29 AM   #118
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Sting

The company had finally reached the Swanship Inn, which they all seemed to be satisfy with. Ewinda and the rest of the company wanted to see the harbor, but Elentari wouldn't let them, something she wasn't too happy about. Ewinda didn't know how the others felt about this, but she was sure that some shared her thoughts. She really wanted to see the harbor and day dreamed about the ships while Elentari asked the proprietor for a meal and lodgings for the night. Anyway she respected Elentari's wishes and let her thoughts about the subject slip her mind, for never to return.

The whole company sat down by the fireside, and waited for their food. A discussion developed and almost everyone participated accept from Ewinda. She was too tired and hungry to say anything at all. She just sat there looking at an elf some tables away. Even though he was sitting she could see that he was very tall and slender. He had dark hair and deep grey eyes.

She was so tired that she didn't know what she was doing, the next thing she knew was that she had seated next to the unkonwn elf. The company didn't seem to know she had left.

"Good evening," the elf said while looking at her.

"Good evening to you as well" she answerd back in a merry voice. She had now forgot that she was indeed tired and hungry.

"May I ask what your name is? And I don't mean to be rude or anything, I'm just wondering what you are doing over here when you seem to have such nice a company over there?" he said while shaking his head in the direction where the Company were seated.

She thought she saw a little smile surrounding his face while she said: "Well, I'm sorry for not introducing myself, I forgot. My name is Ewinda...." She was now slightly embarrassed.

"I, myself is Lenwe. I'm an resident of Lindon, and an elven scout." He said in a low but clear voice.

He was really curious about the company so he continued; "Well, I see that you are with a company, tell me if I'm wrong..."

"Your not wrong at all. Actully these over there are my companiens, and friends of course." She answerd.

"So, may I ask what this company of yours seeks?" Lenwe asked curious.

"Yes, indeed, you may ask and I will consider giving you an answer." She said a bit thoughtful. Then she changed her mind; she should tell him, if he knew something he might be able to help them. He was an elf scout after all. "Well, actually we are hunting a dragon, which has it's lair in the Blue Mountains. So we are heading there," Ewinda told Lenwe.

Even though he knew he'd herd correctly, (The Blue Mountains), he asked: "Oh, a dragon and The Blue Mountains, you say?"

"Yes",she said quickly. "Have you ever been there, I mean are you familiar with the place?" she asked.

"Yes indeed I am. I know every nook and cranny of the Blue Mountains and the surrounding region." He answerd.

"You do? Then maybe you'll be able to help us." she said enthusiastic.

"Well, I'm not sure," he answerd quite loud. " For a very long time, Ewinda, I've been longing for the sea. I also wish to see my family members who have already taken the ship for the West." He said while he lowered hi voice. " That's why I'm here, at the Havens. I'm waiting for the next boat to arrive." Lenwe continued in a rather sad voice.

It became silent and the conversation ended when Lostlondwen called for Ewinda. The food was now on the table and she rememberd how hungry she was. "Would you like to join us, I maen while we eat?" Ewinda asked while standing up.

"I'd love to," Lenwe said, smiling again.

They both walked the few steps over to the table were the Copmany was gatherd. "This is my new friend, Lenwe," Ewinda announced.

"Greetings Lenwe," all of them said at the same time. "Good evening" he almost wispherd back.

"So, what brings you here, Lenwe?" Elentari asked.

Their eyes were all fixed on him, waiting for a reply.

"As I already told Ewinda, I'm waiting for the next boat to arrive," he answerd quickly, still standing.

Ewinda interrupted; "I told him about the dragon and that we are heading for The Blue Mountains, an Lenwe knows every nook and cranny of the it," she said reather excited.

A smiled appeard on everyone's face. "Please sit down and join us for the rest of the evening," Elentari said smiling even wider than the others.

[ June 27, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]
Old 06-27-2003, 07:47 AM   #119
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

The Swanship Inn was a beautiful cosy place with loads of tables and a fire. After a the traveling time, this was just what Lostlondwen needed. The common room was filled with people, most elves, since there was a ship going to the Undying Lands the next day. Lostlondwen hurried over to sit beside Rowan and Ewinda at the company's table. "Nice place," Lostlondwen burst out. She giggled in a way that showed that she was very happy to be there. Both Rowan and Ewinda seemed to agree with her. While waiting for the food, Rowan and Lostlondwen talked merrily to eachoter. Ewinda seemed to be far off somewhere else. And when she raised, and went in the direction of a darkhaired elf, Lostlondwen didn't ask.

"Rowan.. Have you ever wondered what you would be doing after this quest." Lostlondwen had been stirring out in the air, and continued to do so. Rowan looked at her in suprise. "I mean, I have been thinking. It's a dragon we are going to fight, and you know, things may happen." She turned around to see his reaction.

Rowan didn't say anything. He only looked as if he had seen a ghost. The thought of maybe dying had never occured to him?? Was Lostlondwen just being silly? The situation became all off a sudden awkward. No one sayd anything. As if it all had stopped, they sat there, unaware of time, place and company.

Rowan, was stunned and Lostlondwen was deep in thought.

"Oh, just forget it," she said after a while. Rowan remained silent. She had too often in her dreams watched her mother die, in the dragon's lair. And now she was getting "used" to that thought. In fact, in the past days she hadn't been thinking about much else. Lostlondwen wasn't scared by the thought of death. Something else was in her mind. Her worst fear was losing someone she loved or be lost by someone who loved her.

The atmosphere was tense in a way after that, and soon Rowan left the table, still quiet. Lostlondwen wanted to stop him, ask what he was thinking. But she didn't. Rowan's face expression showed clearly that he wanted to be alone. That she could tell. But still, why hadn't he answered her question, and why was he leaving now? Had she made him think?? Think about the perils in the world, that could end their lives?

"Is there something wrong?" It was a worried voice it was, Elenatri's.

Lostlondwen just shook her head, and gave a smile. "No nothing," she said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ewinda, we are eating now." Lostlondwen called for Ewinda who was sitting by another Elf. Who he was, Lostlondwen couldn't say.

"This is Lenwë," Ewinda announced. They all looked up from the food on the table and stirred at the newcomer.

[ June 28, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]

[ June 28, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]
Old 06-27-2003, 09:21 PM   #120
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rowan sat stunned by Lostlondwen’s question. What would he do after they quest? He pondered this question for a while. He had never really thought of it before. Now that he thought of it he realized that he always assumed he would grow up and live a happy life. But what if that didn’t happen? Now that he thought about he realized how he had changed from the quest. He had already started growing up. On the quest he had seen death and pain, something he rarely saw in Lake-Town. But here he also had seen something else, but what was it he could not say.

Rowan got up and walked outside of the Swanship Inn. From where he stood he saw the glistening water of the Gulf of Lune. He sighed. The land was so beautiful. I wonder what it is like to be an elf and to ravel across the sea. Rowan had never seen the sea before and was surprised by its beauty. He had always heard stories about it when he was a young boy. The sea to him always seemed unresting, but here in the Gulf it seemed tranquil and peaceful. From where he stood he could see the elf harbor lined with elven ships. Rowan wondered why Elentari wouldn’t let them see it. Time to go back inside he thought.

He headed inside with one last glimpse of the sea as the sun was setting. He was tired and they had a long day ahead of them. Rowan went to his room and fell asleep. He dreamed of the ships and the sea and for once in many days he sleep long and well.

[ June 28, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]