Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2004, 10:21 PM   #121
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
But who knows all this besides the horse? ...and them mind-reading elves....

Ruh Roh.

Gwyillion can come-- double jeopardy, though!
Old 03-30-2004, 03:28 PM   #122
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Silmaril rollin' rollin' rollin'

Minas Tirith: We need to post a few more hour's worth of stuff before Estelyn can post, so let's cover some time.

[b]Orual[/i]-- Would this be a good time for Ravion to issue some orders, and send us out with mental lists to buy, gather, prepare and pack? We don't need much detail, but a few details would be nice. (drawing a blank on specifics, help me out here, team!)
Old 03-30-2004, 04:31 PM   #123
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, they'd nead food (probably something similiar to cram, but I don't know if Gondor had such a thing), blankets, herbs for cooking/healing, and that's about all I can think of...

Old 03-30-2004, 06:47 PM   #124
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
I hope my post was okay; it was a little short, but hopefully fairly accurate. I kind of made things up on the spot.

~Orual
Old 03-30-2004, 07:49 PM   #125
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

It works! Mellonin and Raefindan have scurried to procure. Aeron, you're on the spot again...

Reminder... the Rohan contingent can always jump in any time... don't be shy!
Old 03-30-2004, 08:53 PM   #126
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Okay...I've posted for Aeron and a mighty short post it is too.

Orual , I had Aeron address Ravion as Sirrah in my post. I don't know if you know this (I didn't until just some time ago), but Sirrah is a contemptuous form of address... Aeron is a rather...brazen fellow...to put it lightly.

Cheers,
Imladris

Old 03-30-2004, 09:22 PM   #127
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril A mite of a query

And to whom and what gaol, pray, is Ravion or Mellonin going to turn in Aeron and Gwyllion, out in the wilds, far from anywhere, when they misbehave and try to run off? Should be fun.

There is a slight problem with "sirrah", in that it is Shakespearian English, and therefore an anachronism in Middle Earth, Fourth Age. Now, Raefindan could get away with it, for quite legitimate reasons that will probably be revealed over the course of the rpg, but that's an entirely different thing. I'd suggest a derogation more in keeping with 4th age Middle Earth, whatever that may be.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:41 PM   #128
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Erk. Thanks LMP...*goes and edits...*

Edit: Okay...I searched...and I searched...and I searched some more for an Anglo Saxon dictionary that would convert to English but I didn't find one. I also searched for web sites on the Westron language and I still couldn't find one. I searched for Middle-earth Insults and I couldn't find anything. It appears that the elven tongues have pretty much monopolized the web. I don't want Aeron to openly insult Ravion -- I mean, he's not the brightest kid on the block when it comes to respect for authority, but he's not stupid enough to openly insult Ravion.

So, why do I want Aeron to insult Ravion? He's grown up most of his life without authority, and now he has just become bound to Ravion. Not only that, Ravion really rubs him the wrong way. Every since he stole that necklace, things have been going wrong for him. Now, he and his sister have been threatened with jail life, so what can he do other than subtly insult Ravion?

Sorry for going into that humungous explanation, but I just wanted you guys to know that I did have a reason for this. Which brings me to my next question. Is there anything Middle-earthan that is a sly insult?

Thanks.

Last edited by Imladris; 03-30-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:23 AM   #129
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Silmaril

Tolkien wove his insults into the dialog. "Stupid, fat hobbit." How about this for a name: "Wormtongue."

Perhaps simple irony? "I await your command, O Master of my Every Moment." "Of course I will obey the Dominator of my will and destiny." Or something a little more subtle than that.

Bellyn, we have a map question courtesy of Ędegard! Aylwen, you're on. Co-ordinates! Estimates "As the Crow Flies" versus "as the horse struggles"! An erudite dissertation on the history, legends and rumors associated with each landmark!

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-31-2004 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:45 PM   #130
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Okay...I edited it. After thinking about your good example of irony, I decided to just have Aeron call him "Lord Ravion." That shouldn't be too bad...hopefully.

Old 03-31-2004, 07:21 PM   #131
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Alrighty, I'll get a post up tomorrow afternoon, since it's been a busy day. Sorry for the slight delay, guys!

-Aylwen
Old 03-31-2004, 11:35 PM   #132
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Orual , I had a short conversation with Ravion and Aeron in my post and I hope that I didn't use your character ill. Please let me know if it's alright.

Cheers,
Imladris

Old 04-01-2004, 12:08 PM   #133
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Thanks for the friendly welcome, all! Estelyn will be making a brief appearance to free Mellonin from her service and wish her well. I'm writing a post for her that will go up as soon as it's finished - this evening, I hope, or tomorrow at the latest.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 04-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #134
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Eye

Estelyn--

Many thanks for the blessing and sendoff. And, for keeping Mellonin in your service-- nice touch!

Raefindan (by now) has water bottles, flint, pans, and a dagger, and a bow with full quiver. Mellonin has procured food. No doubt Ravion is a master at packing quickly and efficiently! We await his orders. Shall we depart at dawn, or make some distance tonight?

**the horizon beckons**

Old 04-01-2004, 04:54 PM   #135
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Rohan team - do forgive the rather short post, I was just quite busy yesterday and did not want to hold anyone up, so I thought I might as well post when I could. My apologies!

-Aylwen
Old 04-01-2004, 06:51 PM   #136
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

My lady Bellyn, Liornung has done what has been requested of him. A light-hearted, quick, and happy song as been sung and the Rohan group proceeds ever onward!
Old 04-03-2004, 12:53 PM   #137
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Raefindan's voice

Thanks for posting Raefindan, Helen!

Just a few verrrrry minor quibbles (if you feel like fixing them fine but don't feel obligated):

Raefindan would speak in contractions: don't, I'm, we're, can't, etc.

His vocal filler would be a silent pause instead of "ah" - and if you can find a place where I've used vocal filler besides silence, prove me wrong and I'll just blush.

Instead of Good sir, he'd say "sir"

The last couple of questions were great! I could not have done any better. Verrrrry nice touch.

Old 04-03-2004, 03:10 PM   #138
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Palantir-Green By way of clarifying Ędegard's voice & character

I'm sorry to be a real pain, but I need to get this out there, and please understand that this probably is more my problem than yours.......

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Ędegard being that downright mean. If I may put words into his mouth through your pen, Instead of:

"...but Ędegard gave her an evil look and interrupted her before she could continue.

"We will decide when we must, and I think that the morning is early enough without your stories and silly children's tales!" Ędegard snapped, mounting..."

how about this?....

"...but Ędegard blew an impatient sigh and interrupted her before she could continue.

"My question was about the distance to Lorien, not about the Entwash and its legends. Let us move!" Ędegard mounted..."

Dour and haunted Ędegard may be, and it's okay for Bellyn to THINK he's bitter, but I don't want him to come off as some kind of malicious Bill Ferny type. Ędegard will not cut people down in mockery. Please say that's all right with you...

As for asking for a song, it might be better said that Liornung doesn't THINK he ever would. I hope I'm not trying to be too subtle with this.

"Critical view of all things and people!?!" - - - Augh!

"It was indeed odd that the young man should expect so much of others yet not be willing to give equally as much himself." - - - Could you please show me how I've made Ędegard look this way to you? Are you sure you're not reading stuff into him that I haven't written?

Maybe I need to just let your characters think what they will, and let the story run as it will, but this is really, um, bugging me, to have Ędegard misunderstood, not at just a character level, but at a writerly level, if you know what I mean.

I'll try to explain better. Ędegard is a protagonist, kind of closed, a bit dour, having lived a very small life, limited pretty much to four dark walls. He knows how to have fun, and whereas he speaks only what he thinks is necessary to get across what he means to get across, he's not the kind who would stamp meanly on someone else's treasures. Nor is he the kind who expects perfection from anyone. He has lived a limited life, and a quiet one, and what I HOPE I have shown with him is that he's not used to such boisterous noise, but is beginning to think that maybe it's good for him, which he tried to show by offering the praise to Liornung's song. Yes, his own thoughts inside his head may suggest a quickness to judge, but he's careful what passes his lips.

I apologize if I'm cutting this too fine.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:51 PM   #139
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Shield good points

littlemanpoet,

Thanks for the clarifications and suggestions. We'll work as a team to bring out the complexity and subtlety of Ędegard's character. Our current tendency to oversimplify him is partly my fault for making him so cranky in my first couple of posts. I do apologize. Please let me know if there is anything in the older posts-- or any of my posts-- that I should soften or deepen, and I will hasten to edit!

Reading your post makes me wonder if he has some similarities to Ravion-- great heart, gruff troubled exterior. (Must be a guy-thing. How's that for an unsubtle oversimplification???)

...okay, I repent in dust and ashes: "Mea culpa." I will try to be better at getting inside his head, and seeing (and portraying) the compassion he hides. He was the first one to champion my crazy blacksmith, after all.

--bolco / Helen
Old 04-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #140
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Shield Mental Broadcast

Alaklondewen,

That last osanwe of Amroth's was a wild shout... Especially if he was listening, it's possible/ probable that Erebemlin overheard it.

--bolco / Helen

ps. Nuru-- Another admirable poem. Do these songs have tunes?
Old 04-03-2004, 06:50 PM   #141
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

littlemanpoet, I understand your feelings, and I must admit it was rather difficult for me to lightheartedly look upon what Ędegard thought of Liornung. I do apologize if my post makes it sound as though Ędegard is a nasty one, but I myself in all sincerity don't believe he is and have been able to understand a bit of his personality as you have described it by how you have written your posts. However in your posts it is easier to see Ędegard's true personality for you also include those thoughts and feelings which he never speaks aloud. What he does speak aloud to Bellyn and Liornung is often a bit gruff and annoyed and it might give the impression to those who cannot see his thoughts (namely Bellyn and Liornung) that his personality fits his words. Liornung is a character who does not think it is an honorable thing to judge those by what they say but rather how they are, yet this is one thing he seeks to improve himself on for he doesn't have high skill, shall we say, in it yet.

But this by no means signifies that this is what I think of your character, and I do believe your posts would show readers his true personality rather than what his companions think of him. And take comfort that as Liornung spends more time with Ędegard he will begin to see more of what the latter is wholly like rather than mere first impressions. I do admit most humbly that I had forgotten Ędegard's kind comment upon Liornung's song while I did notice it and was intending to have a few understanding words exchanged between them.

Do you have any suggestions for how I should change the way I write of him? For while I did not think it would be well that Liornung think differently of Ędegard so quickly it is quite possible and perhaps even very probable that more than merely describing what Liornung thinks of him I have also given anyone who might read what I have written that that is how Ędegard really is. I will accept any suggestions most gratefully, and I hope humbly. Thank you!

Helen, I have been composing various tunes for Liornung's little songs, but haven't gotten so far as the ones I have posted upon this site. I am considering, however, creating just a little website entitled 'Liornung's Book of Songs' with all those songs he has composed and their basic melodies.

Must run now! Thank you for your attention so far!
Old 04-03-2004, 07:44 PM   #142
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Thanks, Nurumaiel.

Since Liornung's thoughts are the location of what I was troubled with, I have nothing to offer - Liornung may think what he likes, of course. Face it, this is going to be an interesting "push his buttons" relationship between Liornung and Ędegard. Let's have fun with it!
Old 04-03-2004, 07:59 PM   #143
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sorry, I'll edit a few things for Ędegard and make sure to check with you, lmp, before I do anything silly with someone else's character.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:56 PM   #144
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Would it be alright if Aeron and Gwyllion lived in a small village a few hours from the Seventh Star?

Cheers,
Imladris

Old 04-03-2004, 09:59 PM   #145
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Boots

Fine by me!

Regarding the visit to Mellonin's parents, they will have rushed out to a Gondorian "pawnshop" and sold one of their last remaining heirlooms so that Mellonin & co will have some travel money. It's a modest sum but it should help the travellers buy some food when they run out. She can feel suitably guilty.

Anyone who wants to can bring us through the stables and down to the seventh circle to Mellonin's parents' room. I'll add the heirloom sale at that point. (Feel free to just save me a spot, and it can get pasted in.) And then it's off to pick up Gwillion, and then the open road!

I will post an outline one of these days about the overall chase. I was debating pursuing the Anduin, but with Nimrodel's love of water it is a logical place for Amroth to search. So down the Anduin it is.

For now, "We ride North!" (Okay, 'we're' walking, 'they're' riding, but who can resist a good Eomer movie quote??)

I love this team. You guys are the best.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:32 AM   #146
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

As for Liornung being able to think what he pleases..... alas that he can, for it's going to haunt him through future nights when he realizes how unfair he was to his companion! But I'm hoping for a very firm friendship between the two before the end of the game.

Any idea where our Rohan group will be going from here? Unless, of course, something has already happened. I haven't read the most recent posts on the game thread yet.

If this is a very foolish question and the answer is very obvious I apologize, but it has been torturing me for the past few days but I can never remember to go look through the game plans to see if it mentions something on this.... are the Rohan group and the Gondor group going to join up at some point in the game, or will they remain separate groups for the length of the journey?
Old 04-04-2004, 08:21 PM   #147
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Boots

WHen the two groups will meet... Good queston. Given that the Rohan group is on horseback and the Minas Tirith group is on foot, not for a while. I think (A) the Minas Tirith group will try to procure horses in Rohan or (B) they will beg or borrow some boats, down the Anduin (perhaps they will find Aragorn's boat on the Amon Hen side and Friodo's boat on the Amon Lhaw side...)

Anyway, 1000 years ago Nimrodel stopped by the stream of Gilrain (in south Gondor) because it reminded her of her own stream. There she fell into a long sleep and so "missed the boat". Erebemlin and Amroth will learn this and carefully search the length of the entire river. If the Minas Tirith group hasn't caught up yet, they will at that point.

For one thing, they will need Raefindan's dreams to find out more about what happened. Raefindan will be Amroth's key to learning the details of Mithrellas and Imrazor. From that he will deduce that Nimrodel was imprisoned with the dead. Then they'll go to Erech, and beyond, into the Paths.

The trip to Lorien and down the Anduin can be made in as little, or as much, detail as the game produces. Whether we waltz from Rohan to Lorien and down teh Anduin to South Gondor completely unmolested or battling every inch of the way, who knows? Time will tell. Perhaps there'll be a happy mix.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:21 AM   #148
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Boots musings and ponderings

Hello Tapestry team,

I want to reiterate how much I'm enjoying this game; the character interactions are complex and therefore fascinating, the action/drama possibilities are wide-open, and I think the team is one of the best on the Downs. Go ahead, tell me I'm biased. I don't care.

So, what's next? Let's have some ideas? Ents and huorns at Fangorn? Orcs? Trolls? Dragons from the North Mountains????
And for Ravion's Rangers... A less than enthusiastic welcome in Rohan? Some sort of conflict as 'Ravion's bandits' traverse the Pelennor (hard to imagine...?) Ravion's personal enemies (does he have any?) Aeron's irate "benefactors"?

Let the imaginations run wild...

Last edited by mark12_30; 04-05-2004 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:00 AM   #149
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Hey,

I was planning on having my next post to be about Aeron picking Gwyllion up. Do you also want me to bring the group to the village in that post (kind of like a forwarding post), or do you just want to have the individual members do their own posts bringing them to the village?

Did that make sense?

Cheers,
Istawen

Old 04-05-2004, 11:10 AM   #150
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Pipe

We have lots of ground to cover so I think it's best to go ahead.

In general, if anybody has a reaction of "Hey, wait, I had something I wanted to do three posts back...!" then we can always paste it into a previous post. That's part of co-operating in a complex game. The writer who wants the pasting asks the writer who has the needed spot. Or, depending on the complexity, we can leapfrog; copy the post , add it in at the end, and then delete the original.

So when in doubt, people, surge ahead! I'm looking at the maps, now (making some zoomed-in maps of the ground we will be covering in this game) and I'm looking at between 1,500 and 2.000 miles.

That's on a par with Frodo's trip.

(If I sound a little surprised myself, well.....)

Travelling: IO went hunting on the net for rate of travel data. I found this much. PLEASE add your two cents worth, everyone! Nuru, you ride, don't you? How far could you go on horseback in one day?

On FOOT:
3rd infantry 25 to 30 miles daily;
polish atrocities: 25 to 30 miles daily
bad day: 12 or 15 miles daily
at 3 miles/hour, six hours is 18 miles; 8 hours is 24 miles

Frodo: averaged 17 miles/ day from Bag End to Rivendell? Referred to by mapmaker as "forced marches"...?

on HORSEBACK:
With horses swift as the wind (Mearas or Akhal Teke):
Probe, an emperor of Rome, is known to have been presented with an Akhal-Teke horse that could cover the distance of 150 kilometers a day for up to ten days in a row. (Translation... 1 km = 0.6211 miles ) 93.165 miles/ day. Good heavens, that's incredible!

Cavalry: 35 miles daily (which one? What nationality?)

As we know, the Magyars' main occupation was animal husbandry, especially horse-breeding. Their horses, relatively small but very strong, had great speed and stamina. Each soldier had 3 or 4 horses, riding them in turn so as not to overtire any of them. Thus the army was able to cover 25 to 30 miles daily for weeks,/22/ whereas the western knight-armies rode a maximum of 12 to 15 miles a day for only a few days.

In the year 937, a Hungarian army of 8-10,000 light cavalrymen rode 5,000 miles in ten months. Unmatched achievement in military history, Ferenc Julier, Magyar Hadvezerek.

American West: He marched with a large wagon train to carry forage for our horses, for we were to be gone nearly four months, and could not expect to find adequate pasturage along our route. We arose at 3 A. M., marched at 4.30, and halted for camp on the best water we could find, averaging thirty- three miles daily throughout the march.

Last edited by mark12_30; 04-05-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #151
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Boots

Love these latest posts. Ravion's motley band is going to be a lot of fun!
Old 04-06-2004, 02:08 PM   #152
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien horse travel time

Funny, this same topic came up at FWW (for those of you who want to know what that is, PM me). Here's what I wrote there:

I have an atlas of the journey from Hobbiton to Mordor. On 9/24 Frodo, Sam, and Pippin traveled 24 miles, stopping for supper and walking with Gildor and the Elves. They made 14 miles through the Midgewater marshes in one day (Oct. 3). On Oct. 18 Glorfindel pushed them through the night, on the East Road, and they made 30 miles on foot before they were allowed a 5 hour rest. Then they put in another 20 miles, on road again, the next day. Okay, that's something for on foot.

Hmmmm.... horses.....Wouldn't you know the maps are less helpful? I'm looking at Rohan. Gandalf's and Pippin's ride took 3 days and covered 300 miles. The march of the Rohirrim by horse from Edoras to Minas Tirith had them going about 60 miles a day. Hope that helps.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:41 PM   #153
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Question

Profoundly quiet today... Are most of us busy Wednesday? (I have band practice.)

I've brought a suspicious dog towards Ravion's group, guessing that Gwillion will react fearfully. Imladris, is this right or does she love dogs fearlessly?

The dog seems to me just a foreshadow of things to come; he doesn't need to be a big deal. Or-- if somebody feels like making him a big deal, have fun.

It's quiet in Rohan... Anybody there?

Last edited by mark12_30; 04-08-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:55 PM   #154
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Shield maps and plans

Thursday, April 08, 2004
Hi all,

I've been looking hard at maps.

First of all, the head start that Amroth, Ędegard, Liornung and Bellyn got on Ravion turns out to be very good news. According to Ravion,

"I was in Rohan not a week gone by... ...and he is no longer in Edoras, as I said. As I also said, he is headed north. No one knew where he was bound."

So let's say the Rohan team had a week's head start. Maybe a little more.

I make it 300 miles from Edoras to the stream of Nimrodel at the Lorien edge. Average Cavalry speed is 33 miles per day, but Mellon-Amroth is pushing hard, and although he can't match Shadowfax's speed (100 miles a day) he's faster than 33 mi/day. Let's call it 45 miles / day to Lorien, since he's guessing he'll find Nimrodel there and the horses can rest. (He'll be wrong.) So, he gets to the edge of Lorien in a week. In other words, our timescales are a bit skewed; the Ędegard group is a week ahead of Ravion's group. We can either leave it that way for a little bit, or do some hasty writing and "catch up" timewise.

Timewise: As Ravion is leaving Minas Tirith, Erebemlin is meeting the Rohan group.

So let's say Erebemlin meets them where the Nimrodel-stream meets the edge of Lorien. He gives Mellon-Amroth the news that "She departed for the Havens long ago." So instead of searching along the banks of the Nimrodel-- the banks of which, Erebemlin assures him are quite deserted-- They immediately skirt the south of the forest and follow the Anduin river; the horses are growing weary.

So as Ędegard's group is heading south from Lorien along the Anduin on weary horses. Let's say they slow down to under 30 miles per day. Ravion's walkers are heading north-northwest, skirting the banks of the Anduin. Let's say they struggle along at twenty miles a day.

Somewhere between Rauros, Sarn Gebir, and the East Emnet, I'm guessing they will either hear word of Ędegard's group, or, they will actually find their trail. So at that point, they turn and follow the trail.

Do they each have horses by that time? What do you all think? Would some herdsman of Rohan take pity on them and offer them horses? (It's been nice working with Echo and the old Bay Mare, so... I confess I like the idea.)

I'm going to rough all this out on a map, and put it up on my website. It'll be a large map showing from the Bay of Belfalas to Lorien, with the trails I just described roughed out on it.

The Map

Comments....?

Grace and peace, --mark12_30
Old 04-08-2004, 01:22 PM   #155
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Shield On Long Distance Travel

I've also been thinking whether we want to compress time. I lean away from this in general, but in a game where this much distance is covered I felt I should think it over. I came up with a few ideas.

The obvious one is the old "And then after a whole month had gone by, our heroes found themselves at such and such a place." I grant that sometimes this approach is very neccessary, especially for games with a tight time-limit. I suppose it'll do in a pinch... However, as a writer, I've never cared for it.

But another option would be, when we reach a section of the journey where we want to really make tracks, each writer could describe one full day of travel, as briefly or as detailed as you like. I confess I like this option a great deal.

For an extreme moment, let's imagine the game from here on out as as Amroth's entire 2000-mile journey. Let's say he *just * started out. On horseback (good old Echo!) and guessing 25 miles/ day, that averages out to 80 days, or a little under three months real-time.

Amroth is combing river banks and searching hard, whereas Ravion's group is just trying to find Mellon-Amroth. So even if they are on foot, they can take certain short-cuts. And they may not be on foot for very long depending on the generosity of Rohan's East Emnet.

Gondor games have no set time limit. If we want to, we can cover the entire 2000-mile journey, both groups, in hour-by-hour detail, and take as long as we want to do it. That's up to us as a team. We can stretch this out for nine months if we want to. (Yes, once I was in a game from February to November. And I was the short-timer rookie in that game. Others were in it for much longer.)

I say all this mostly because the idea of a game that went on forever was stressing me out! But if we shoot for a day per day (so to speak) we're still looking at about three months from now. If we want more detail, fine. But we've got other options than the "disappearing month syndrome."

Thoughts and comments?

Last edited by mark12_30; 04-08-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:13 PM   #156
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Hmm...travel is such a bother. I'm not really sure if there is a good way to do it.

Quote:
For an extreme moment, let's imagine the game from here on out as as Amroth's entire 2000-mile journey. Let's say he *just * started out. On horseback (good old Echo!) and guessing 25 miles/ day, that averages out to 80 days, or a little under three months real-time.
Does that mean a day of travel corresponds with a day of real time? If so (and I could be misunderstanding you), wouldn't that be a little tedious?

Wouldn't it be easier if we kept the the time hazy and not go into detail about it? Or would that not be up to Gondorian quality of games? I could be wrong here (it's been awhile since I've read LotR), but wasn't Tolkien himself kind of hazy about the travel time and how long it took them to get place to place?

That's my inexpert opinion at least.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:56 PM   #157
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imladris
Does that mean a day of travel corresponds with a day of real time? If so (and I could be misunderstanding you), wouldn't that be a little tedious?
Certainly, if we made it a law and beat each other up about it, it would be awful. (Bleah!!) However, we could just use it as a heplful rule of thumb to guess how long the game will take (For instance, "Gee, we seem to be taking about three writing days to write one game-day, this could end up taking nine months!")

Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier if we kept the the time hazy and not go into detail about it? Or would that not be up to Gondorian quality of games?
If the time gets TOO hazy, then That actually makes things harder in a complex game. We've always had a calendar-keeper (in our long game it was Pio) who kept us all sane and on-track.

Quote:
I could be wrong here (it's been awhile since I've read LotR), but wasn't Tolkien himself kind of hazy about the travel time and how long it took them to get place to place?
If you check out the appendices (The Tlae Of Years) he was *incredibly * specific. He kept track of things like the phases of the moon, and where Aragorn was in Rohan while Sam and Frodo were in Ithilien. He made sure that all the various characters in all the different places were matched up and in sync. So he was actually quite "fanatical" about the times. He had to be; he had to have the Morannon battle at the same time as the destruction of the Ring. He timed it down to hours, and in the end, minutes.

It'll be easier for us, though, because we're going to meet up before the end...

(edit) The other reason to be careful about travel time is simple credibility. You avoid making mistakes like, "The wondrously athletic elf-maiden swam upriver all night long and finally reached the source of the river by dawn..." But oh by the way, THAT river is over 150 miles long from spring to ocean. So-- swimming upriver, she would get there before Shadowfax travelling on land? Hard to imagine and harder to believe.

Last edited by mark12_30; 04-10-2004 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:13 PM   #158
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Shield Rohan clarification

Blessed Good Friday and Happy Easter, everyone!

Just a quick clarification for tonight, and tomorrow I'll try to detail a timeline:

Ravion was in Rohan, and heard that the crazy blacksmith had gone north alone and on foot. Then he headed to Minas Tirith. Between the time he heard about Mellon-Amroth's departure from Edoras, and telling Mellonin about it, a full week went by.

Ravion sets out from Minas Tirith a full week after Mellon-Amroth sets out from Edoras. So Mellon-Amroth has a week's head start on Ravion.

However, right now, Ravion is one day away from Minas Tirith, and Mellon-Amroth is two or three days away from Edoras. So the journey is uneven, timewise.

Tomorrow morning I will make a timeline that corresponds to the map I drew. Don't let that stop you from posting! Just keep travelling for now; we're not about to meet up anyway. That'll be a bit further on down the road. So we can still have plenty of character interaction as we eat up the days.

Since today was Good Friday I saw "Passion" again. Tomorrow's the first day of fishing season, so my husband will be out near the water. I'll be watching ROTK with a friend.

Happy Easter!

Grace and peace, --mark12_30
Old 04-10-2004, 02:26 PM   #159
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Lovely, lovely, littlemanpoet! You've given Liornung the perfect opportunity to talk about his family, the pride of his life, dearer to him than his fiddle. I will be rather busy as can be imagined until about Tuesday, so if I can't come up with something before the game moves on I'm sure you'd have no objection if I PMed my post to you when it's done and you can put it below yours?

Have a lovely and blessed Easter, everyone!
Old 04-10-2004, 07:57 PM   #160
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien Liornung's reply

I can do that, most certainly, Nurumaiel.

After I posted that up, I noticed my unintentional rhyme within Ędegard's own dialogue. I decided to leave it in as an interior joke. Enjoy my embarrassment!