The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #3921
Jabbawocky Took
Newly Deceased

Jabbawocky Took has just left Hobbiton.
Many thanks bcbdrums and Galadriel55!
Jabbawocky Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #3922
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, Jabbawocky Took!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #3923
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Welcome Jabbawocky, from another Took!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #3924
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
We like our Tooks here. Welcome, Jabbawocky.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #3925
Jabbawocky Took
Newly Deceased

Jabbawocky Took has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks Faramir, my fellow Took Pervinca, and Bethberry for making me feel at home!
Jabbawocky Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #3926
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I'm not a newcomer, but I've been away. Goodness me, I haven't been on since July! Nonetheless, I'm back, and hopefully won't start neglecting all of my lovelies again. (I got sucked into the wonderful world of tumblr.)
Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #3927
Erestor
Pile O'Bones

Erestor has just left Hobbiton.
Hello Downers,

Like you probably will expect, I'm a bit of a Tolkien fanatic. For many years now, I've read Tolkien's works over and over again (this should be taken very literally when I was a middle-school kid). Tolkien actually had a huge impact on my life too: it's because of his works my prime interest shifted from the exact sciences to the humanities – and now I’m a history student. If course, my interest in the former remains.

For my other interests, I have many. Of course, like many of you probably do, I like to read a lot. Music is also one of my main interests, and I while I have some preferences, I like many forms of music – ranging from medieval polyphonies to Chinese classical music and metal. Oh yeah, as a good Belgian, I like food and beer(not to get wasted but to taste it). I’ve got many other interests and hobbies, but I think these are enough for now

I hope we get along!
Erestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #3928
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, Erestor! You've certainly come to the right place for Tolkien-talk.

I'm not aware of any other Belgians who are members here, and it's always good to increase our international representation.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:38 AM   #3929
aurelien
Newly Deceased

aurelien has just left Hobbiton.
thrilled!

Hi everyone, I've just joined the forum and have got to say I'm absolutely thrilled to be here! I first began reading posts on this forum in August but due to some technical glitch in the registration process was unable to register (and I tried in so many ways as I was pretty desperate to join the conversation here!). I tried to find other Tolkien forums that I might join but none of them have the depth and scope of Tolkien knowledge that is exhibited in many of the posts here - not to mention the level of skepticism regarding the film adaptations, with which I wholly agree.

I kept coming back to read more, thoroughly enjoying your posts but unable to post myself and every once in a while I would try to register. Well today it worked! I'm so excited (I guess that's pretty obvious :-).

A little bit about me: I've been a fan of Tolkien's work since I first began to read the Fellowship of the Ring at 16, at the time still in my native Dutch. While I have always loved the Lord of the Rings though I am ashamed to admit it took me another 16 years before I finally read the Silmarillion. For too long I believe those that told me it was not a nice book to read (too difficult, too much in the style of the bible and so on), but oh how wrong they were of course! I was amazed to find I liked the Silmarillion even better than the Lord of the Rings. I've since read Unfinished Tales and have just begun reading the History of Middle Earth. I really look forward to being able to talk about all this stuff with everyone here on the forum as the Tolkien fans I know in real life have yet to move beyond the Lord of the Rings in their reading. Can't wait to join in the discussion at last!
aurelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #3930
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, aurelien! You're right about the Simarillion being a rather difficult work when compared with LOTR, but it's so rewarding when one perseveres.

Enjoy yourself!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #3931
Smug the Fabulous
Pile O'Bones

Smug the Fabulous has just left Hobbiton.
Hiya!

So I have been a big Tolkien fan since I was ten and have read much of his work (though I'll confess I haven't had the chance to read The Silmarillion).
I've seen the posts that are on this forum for a couple of years and I decided to join for the chance to have some serious discussions concerning things Tolkien-related, books and movies alike.
"It is everywhere. It is everything. Its scales glisten in the bark of trees. Its roar is heard in the wind. And its forked tongue strikes like... *lightning strikes* whoa! Like lightning!"-Merlin, Excalibur(1981)
Smug the Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #3932
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smug the Fabulous View Post
Hiya!

So I have been a big Tolkien fan since I was ten and have read much of his work (though I'll confess I haven't had the chance to read The Silmarillion).
I've seen the posts that are on this forum for a couple of years and I decided to join for the chance to have some serious discussions concerning things Tolkien-related, books and movies alike.
So nice to have you here. Mr. Jackson! Or so I assume from your handle.

Kidding, of course. Welcome to the Downs!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #3933
Smug the Fabulous
Pile O'Bones

Smug the Fabulous has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
So nice to have you here. Mr. Jackson! Or so I assume from your handle.
Blast! How did you see through my disguise?!
Well, that's not going to stop me converting 300-paged books into multiple poorly-paced films, or to insert unnecessary romantic subplots and overlong action scenes!
Tolkien is mine! My own! My precious!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

But in all seriousness, thanks for having me.
"It is everywhere. It is everything. Its scales glisten in the bark of trees. Its roar is heard in the wind. And its forked tongue strikes like... *lightning strikes* whoa! Like lightning!"-Merlin, Excalibur(1981)
Smug the Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #3934
rmjones0411
Newly Deceased

rmjones0411 has just left Hobbiton.
Intro

**Mistakenly created a new thread originally. Here's my message.**

Hi all,

I'm a member who joined the forum long ago (circa 2009) to ask a question about making a character in LotRO. The community response was very helpful and gracious at the time, especially for someone who was so obviously a Tolkien novice. I then disappeared for awhile. I was reminded of the forum when I quite unexpectedly received a birthday email message this year.

I'm 33 years old, currently in my 3rd professional year of pharmacy school. I am married with 3 children. I'm one of the folks who may be a target of some largely unexpressed but quite appropriate irritation among the more well-read and knowledgeable in the Tolkien community because my interest in Middle Earth was mostly borne from experiencing the famed movie Trilogy by Peter Jackson. That said, I've always had an interest in fantasy, swords, and sorcery which dates back to getting a copy of the original MERP game in the early 1990s, though I could never find anyone interested enough to do a proper play-through. I'm currently working on my second time through the Hobbit. I've never completed the Trilogy, though I hope to do this when I have more time for reading that doesn't involve pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, and drug therapeutics. I have a copy of the Silmarillion but I have a lot of trouble following the stories, though I'm sure they are fascinating!

With a short intro out of the way, I just want to say that I really appreciate the Barrow Downs community and hope to participate in some interesting discussions. Thanks for reading!
rmjones0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #3935
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjones0411 View Post
**Mistakenly created a new thread originally. Here's my message.**

Hi all,

I'm a member who joined the forum long ago (circa 2009) to ask a question about making a character in LotRO. The community response was very helpful and gracious at the time, especially for someone who was so obviously a Tolkien novice. I then disappeared for awhile. I was reminded of the forum when I quite unexpectedly received a birthday email message this year.

I'm 33 years old, currently in my 3rd professional year of pharmacy school. I am married with 3 children. I'm one of the folks who may be a target of some largely unexpressed but quite appropriate irritation among the more well-read and knowledgeable in the Tolkien community because my interest in Middle Earth was mostly borne from experiencing the famed movie Trilogy by Peter Jackson. That said, I've always had an interest in fantasy, swords, and sorcery which dates back to getting a copy of the original MERP game in the early 1990s, though I could never find anyone interested enough to do a proper play-through. I'm currently working on my second time through the Hobbit. I've never completed the Trilogy, though I hope to do this when I have more time for reading that doesn't involve pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, and drug therapeutics. I have a copy of the Silmarillion but I have a lot of trouble following the stories, though I'm sure they are fascinating!

With a short intro out of the way, I just want to say that I really appreciate the Barrow Downs community and hope to participate in some interesting discussions. Thanks for reading!
Welcome! Ehh, don't worry about where your interest came from, we are generally cool. I finally just got through the Silmirillion myself. I found it good coming at it as an Elven history book. And good luck on your studies!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #3936
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome back, rmjones!
Old 02-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #3937
Theoden of Rohan
Newly Deceased

Theoden of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Hello everyone!

I am pleased to be a part of barrow-downs now. Seems like a brilliant place.

I have been a fan of Tolkien relatively recently. 7 years ago to be exact. :P
And unlike most here, I haven't really read all of JRRT's wonderful works. I read LotR and then picked up The Hobbit and loved them both. But my true love is and will always be The Silmarillion.

I like the films by Peter Jackson though there are so many changes that do bug me to no ends. But by the end, I can separate them from Tolkien-verse, and so I do love them.

I look forward to this place and I look forward to getting to know some of you here.

Theoden
Old 02-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #3938
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Welcome, Theoden! You've said it perfectly in that this is indeed a "brilliant place", and has been for well over a decade.

Nice to have you!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #3939
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Welcome back!

Welcome back, rmjones0411! I look forward to hearing more from you, and hope pharmacy school goes well.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #3940
Brego
Newly Deceased

Brego has just left Hobbiton.
Hi there!

I'm fifteen years old and have loved the Lord of the Rings for a year now, after watching the first Hobbit movie. I've since all read the books and some other of Tolkien's brilliant works, such as the Children of Húrin and the Silmarillion.

I love the movies and the books equally, and I suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks. The characters and the story always make things easier when I'm having a particularly hard day.

I'm excited to be here, as I have a few questions that I can't find answers to, and to just enjoy to site.
Brego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #3941
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome to the Downs, Brego! It's always a good thing when people join who really love LOTR&other books.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #3942
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Hiya!
I guess I'm little late..
Still- Hello to ALL.
I saw FOTR in 2011 and LOVED it. And when I saw the last movie, I cried like hell (though I do not cry much feeling this is all fictional). I haven't seen the last scene again. Then I read the books and Loved them, too, last year. I'd never expected to read them. But I did. Actually, I'm celebrating my anniversery of reading the books these days.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #3943
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up Welcome to you three!

Welcome to the Downs, Theoden, Brego and Lotrelf!

I'm impressed, Brego, that you've already read so much!
Old 03-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #3944
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hi Lotrelf! We've spoken before, but let's make it official. Welcome to the Downs!
Old 03-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #3945
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Hi Lotrelf! We've spoken before, but let's make it official. Welcome to the Downs!
Hello, and Thank You!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #3946
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I would like to welcome Smaug's voice here, once his membership has been activated. Heck, even before!

I hope you enjoy being dead, Smaug's voice.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #3947
Smaug's voice
Newly Deceased

Smaug's voice has just left Hobbiton.
Grrr. Did someone dare to wake me up?

'ello there denny-zens.
Bethberry, convinced me to come out of lurkdome and join as a member. So thanks Bethberry.

I have been a lurker here for a while and have always enjoyed the level and variety of discussions here, and while I may not be the busiest of posters I look forward to my time here.
I am an ardent lover of Tolkien's works - not only Middle-earth but his use of language, the lyrical flow of his words and it is also an amazement to me, that despite being one of the greatest Philologists ever, his language in the books have been so lucid and easy to understand. Simplicity and royalty both co-exist in his texts. Something that is extremely rare in literature.
I have read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, the Sil, Unfinished Tales and am currently going through Children of Hurin. I love The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings on equal levels, both for their own reasons - one being an old-fashioned romanticize good vs evil myth, the other being simple children's story with adult themes and surprising depths despite it's apparent simplicity.
But my actual love has always been The Silmarillion. Definitely not the way Tolkien would have wanted it published, but even the little bite CT gives us from his father's vast compendium of drafts is just extremely satisfying. It works in so many different ways. And I firmly believe, Tolkien outdid Shakespeare in the Children of Hurin. I am still an amature compared to all the rest of you, having yet to read JRRT's letters as well as the invaluable HoME and the various Tolkien-scholastic publishings.

I am also quite fond of the films by Peter Jackson. I love the LotR films - as films, they are outstanding, while as adaptations they are quite good, better than most of the attempts could ever hope for.
As for The Hobbit films, I like them as an extension of Tolkien's works but let's face it, adaptation-wise they aren't even trying. Non the less, my overall response is quite positive towards both the series.
In my opinion of course, and I know I am in the vast minority here. No shame in that.

Anyway, good to be here.
So, how much is a pint?

SV

Last edited by Smaug's voice; 03-21-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Smaug's voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #3948
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Welcome, SV!

I share your love of the language of Tolkien's books. There's nothing else quite like it.

Enjoy yourself!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #3949
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hello And Welcome, Smaug's Voice! So glad to see someone from India. Hope you enjoy!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #3950
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug's voice View Post
But my actual love has always been The Silmarillion. Definitely not the way Tolkien would have wanted it published, but even the little bite CT gives us from his father's vast compendium of drafts is just extremely satisfying. It works in so many different ways. And I firmly believe, Tolkien outdid Shakespeare in the Children of Hurin.
Welcome to the Downs, Smaug's voice! I share your opinion of The Sil and COH. I also love them both above the other works of JRRT that I've read. (And I haven't read much of the additional material either)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug's voice
In my opinion of course, and I know I am in the vast minority here. No shame in that.
We may disagree on that, but I would respect a good friendly opposition (not "Figwit OMG!!!<3" style ).

So once again, welcome to the Downs!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #3951
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welcome aboard, Smaug's Voice.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #3952
Smaug's voice
Newly Deceased

Thanks for the welcome, peeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
Hello And Welcome, Smaug's Voice! So glad to see someone from India. Hope you enjoy!
I didn't notice. Good to see someone from my country as well, especially since I think India is a minority in Tolkien-fandom...relatively.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #3953
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, peeps!

I didn't notice. Good to see someone from my country as well, especially since I think India is a minority in Tolkien-fandom...relatively.
Heh! True. People don't read in India much, and it is sad. Tolkien IS a master. My life changer.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #3954
Smaug's voice
Newly Deceased

Actually, the region I come from - East - people are literally bookworms. But most either seem to be unaware of Tolkien or view his tales simply as kiddie-stories.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #3955
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Actually, the region I come from - East - people are literally bookworms. But most either seem to be unaware of Tolkien or view his tales simply as kiddie-stories.
Among my friends, no one reads books. There are only two people I know who read the books of any author. Most think reading books is a time waste. I tried to make them understand the importance of Tolkien but they wouldn't believe me.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #3956
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
Hi everyone.im tom the eldest.im new to this forum
tom the eldest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #3957
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the eldest View Post
Hi everyone.im tom the eldest.im new to this forum
Welcome tom! Make yourself at home.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #3958
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
Im happy to finally able to join this forum.im a lotr fan since i was a kid,and i recently read the hobbit.i havent read the silmarillion though because here tolkien other book,beside lotr are VERY difficult to find.but yeah im happy
tom the eldest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #3959
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

1420!

Welcome, tom the eldest. Have a great time here!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #3960
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welcome aboard, Tom!