The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien Your Gríma

So how do you picture Gríma?

Is he as PJ portrays him, dark haired, black garb, gothic...screaming "I am a dark traitor"?

Is he more of a Rohirric decent, blonde haired and regularly dressed?

Is he like Bakshi portrayed him? Do you see him as an ugly graveling mindless little thing with a hunchback?

Is he a combination of all three?

I'm interested!
Old 12-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #2
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Grima is described as "wizened" so he is either old or has an illness or is simply what they used to call a 'weakling'. Given what we know of Rohan, men who were tall and strong were obviously valued as the 'ideal' so any man who did not fit that bill would have to find some other way of getting ahead than hunting and fighting. Grima must have found his way by becoming an advisor to the King. I also like to think that he was easily corrupted by Saruman because he had high ambitions for himself - Saruman gave him the ability and skill to twist the King's mind so adeptly, and this must have been something Grima saw as a way to advance himself.

I don't see him as 'old' in age, merely in appearance - and I think his lack of good looks was also a way for Saruman to tempt him with promises of having Eowyn for a wife, as there had to be some reason why she would not consider her Uncle's trusted advisor a decent match. She actively finds him repulsive so there must have been something unfortunate about his appearance - and note that even Saruman seems to taunt him about this fact.

There's something quite sad about him in a way, in that he felt the need to submit himself to such treachery as his only way of 'getting on'.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Before the movies, I never imagined Grima as possitively ugly. He was less-than-beautiful, that's for sure, but I felt that to be the King's advisor he must've won over not only the King himself but other nobles/advisors and it's that much harder to win people over if you are repulsive to look at, like PJ's Grima was.

Also, I believe it's stated that Grima served Theoden before turning to his evil ways, so I'm not sure Saruman would've given him the "power to convince", it must've been something Grima had on his own.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green For your amusement...

I really don't know how I imagine him nowadays. It depends a lot. It is a mixture of PJ's monster-like dark Gríma and a blonde acne-faced version I have for some reason. And it is very difficult to totally banish my childhood image of him, which was something like this:

Yes, I pictured him with green skin with pink and yellow spots or warts. I think I maybe imagined him to look a bit less reptilian than in that pic but I never was good at drawing profiles, especially not when I was a child. And he is also intentionally depicted as short and crouchy.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 12-17-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I pictured him looking much like Brad Dourif actually looks, without the bizarre makeup/shaved eyebrows/contact lenses/wig. Light brown stringy hair, scrawny, pale (but not goth-makeup white), and rather intense/insane looking, with a lot of nervous tics.
This, of course, was long before the movies came out and before I know who Brad Dourif was, too.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
Iras Sabir
Pile O'Bones

Iras Sabir has just left Hobbiton.
I saw him as a sickly blonde man. Very bitter, and easily swayed. Power hungry. Bitter because of his sickliness in what is obviously a physically powerful nation. Since he is bitter, he is easily swayed and power hungry. Any thing to get back at those who hurt him.
Iras Sabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I cannot get a "clear view" now, but I definitely pictured him something like short, also it could be said old man, definitely not with blonde hair and probably not even with black ones. He could have been even bald (though when I saw his picture on one I.C.E. card where he is really bald, I was quite startled). Normal skin-colour. Yup, but one of these short, old men with high voice, in movies they sometimes have glasses almost on the end of their nose and they work in libraries and similar. You know what kind of person I mean? Not that I would picture him being really an old man, but...
But I doubt he had beard. Definitely not. He couldn't.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Do you know the Igor characters from Dracula movies...well something like that, maybe not that monster-like and without the strange Russian accent.