The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #41
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'm interested but uncertain - it will all depend on the date(s). Easter itself (April 8 - 9, 2012) will likely involve a family get-together here at home. However, it looks like there are no other important (Tolkien) activities around that time - the German Society's Seminar is several weeks later.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #42
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
If we are going to have a moot around RotR now is the time for it to get properly sorted, before Christmas would be best and before the New Year for definite really! Dates need to be fixed so that a cottage can be booked. And if a cottage is going to be booked confirmation of attendance needs to be given so that prices can be worked out properly.

16th-20th has to be one of the weeks as that's the conference, right? So would people want to come early, hang out, then finish at the conference or do the conference and finish with a moot. Majority rules - but the players need to speak!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #43
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Yesterday I registered for RotR (because prices increase December 1, 2011) and I also booked accommodation. I wasn't too sure how interested folks were in RotR and I didn't want to be left stuck for transportation.

Like Esty, I am interested, but it depends on the dates. I cannot do week 3 as I must return to Canada on August 20th for family reasons (such as an anniversary with Mr. Berry), so I would be interested in weeks 1 and 2.

I agree with Kath that decisions need to be made soon. As I am also thinking of tracing some family background, I checked out accommodations at a village in Gloucestershire yesterday only to discover that all dates for August are already booked!

Are we to stop posting on FB about this and just reply here? I think then that Aganzir should put a notice up on FB advising folks there to reply here now.

EDIT: Opps, just realised Aganzir has already posted on FB about this thread.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 11-30-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #44
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I agree that we need to book as soon as possible. Remember, the Olympic Games are taking place in England next summer, and the country is sure to be packed with tourists.

I have booked RotR with accommodations, so I will commit to cottage accommodations from approximately August 6/7/8 to the 16th. RotR will finish off my trip, and I'll be flying home directly from there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 12-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #45
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
My main reason for not speaking up much this far is that I don't know much yet about my options, situation in the summer and so on, but I hereby proclaim that during the upcoming week, I shall bring this topic up and talk it over with Lommy (and other Finns, whomever I get to see) and so by the end of the next week there should be come clearer info from me and also hopefully from those of the others who have not decided much yet. So, I am taking this task upon myself, just wait for it...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #46
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
EDIT: Opps, just realised Aganzir has already posted on FB about this thread.
Of course I did. It's not my fault if people ignore it, though.

If there are people who can do week 1 but not week 3, I'm fine with it too. I checked the poll that was on Facebook and made a summary of it & what's been posted here. The names of those who have already registered for ROTR are bolded. Please let me know (or update it yourself) if these are not correct.

WEEK 1: August 6-12
Nogrod, Oddwen, Bethberry, Estelyn, Aganzir

WEEK 2: August 13-15, ROTR 16-19
TheGreatElvenWarrior, Oddwen, Bethberry, Estelyn, Volo, Squatter, Aganzir

ROTR 20, WEEK 3: August 21-26
Volo, Squatter, Aganzir

And as I've said before, planning a moot is one of the things where democracy won't work. We'll just have to decide when to have it and see who can make it there, and if somebody who didn't take part in the planning complains, too bad for them.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #47
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I and my friend (Tina/Eamane) are interested in all three weeks.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #48
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Also, for those people who need to a) come earlier or b) stay later than the official moot deadline you can stay with me for a few days. I'm not promising amazing accommodation/cooking/company but it's free and it's easy travel in and out of London (unless you go on a Sunday, in which case good luck!).
Old 12-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #49
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Of course I did. It's not my fault if people ignore it, though.
Not so much ignore it, but they have to remember that they read it the first time.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #50
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My sister Oliphaunts_Rule wants to come as well! Her nerdiness has taken strange forms over the years, but she is still pretty cool.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:35 AM   #51
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think that the accommodation will probably be booked for all three weeks in the end, just as long as we have a system worked out for there to be someone to help begin the moot and end it.
That way we don't have to get too stressed out about the when and we can be more flexible. It's looking like Week 2 will be the busiest with people, but as long as there are folks around in all three we should still have a blast!

It will be less confusing for there to be only one 'base' as it were, from which to work from, so the decision over the next few weeks (I'd like to get something decided before new year) will be where we want our base of operations to be. Squatter has suggested a cottage hire in Loughborough, as Aganzir mentioned.

I know not everyone is going to RotR, but if enough of us are, I think it makes sense to make our base Loughborough. I personally won't be able to afford RotR, but I will hopefully be able to do other things with whomever is left - I will also hopefully be able to drive and borrow my parents' seven-seater car for adventures.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #52
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Folks who aren't on Facebook should be aware that a deposit is required to reserve the cottage. I don't know how Hooky and Squatter are going to handle that.

And also, Hooky, how will it be determined how much each person contributes? For instance, if there are only, say, five Downers around for week 3, that will increase the individual cost, right, for those 5 folks that week (in contrast to say, the10 peeps who are around for weeks 1 or 2).

This is getting complicated.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #53
The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Pipe

Personally I think that getting all or at least most of the money together by a month before the moot is the best idea. Any later and someone will have to find the sum up front and gather it in after the fact, which is probably not something any of us can afford to do. The third week is one too far in my opinion, but if there are people who are willing to pay the extra to stay on a bit, then far be it from me to say them nay. Perhaps it's best if Hookbill and I confer with other Britishers about engaging the accommodations, since we're on the spot. The sum mentioned shouldn't be too hard to raise.

Incidentally, I'm going for at least the first week and hopefully the second.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #54
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rűdh View Post
Incidentally, I'm going for at least the first week and hopefully the second.
So you might not attend RotR?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #55
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

If anyone sees any more cottages that look decent please post the links (here or on fb). Squatter has found a very nice one, but in case of booking problems, it's best to have some contingency plans if folks are coming from other countries! Don't worry about not knowing the area, I do and can see if somewhere is dodgy/nice/isolated etc. Loughborough isn't very nice, and it's not a touristy area, but there are some nice areas slightly further out and it's not far from Sherwood, the Peaks, etc where there's lots on offer.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #56
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Nogrod; Oddwen, Eamane & Oliphaunts_Rule; Bęthberry; Estelyn; Aganzir; Squatter

TheGreatElvenWarrior; Oddwen, Eamane & Oliphaunts_Rule; Bęthberry; Estelyn; Volo; Squatter; Aganzir

Oddwen, Eamane & Oliphaunts_Rule; Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
I think that the accommodation will probably be booked for all three weeks in the end, just as long as we have a system worked out for there to be someone to help begin the moot and end it.
I don't think so. If we have a huge cottage for only a couple of people (while everyone else has either already left or attends the seminar), it's going to be freakish expensive. Personally I think hiring one for weeks 1-2 (or then just until the 16th) would be best. After all we can go to another Downer's/hostel/hotel afterwards: not everyone has to stay in the same place all the time!

I say yes to cottage hire but no to three weeks of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rűdh View Post
Personally I think that getting all or at least most of the money together by a month before the moot is the best idea.
Agreed.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #57
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up I'll be there!

Just to say that I've registered and put in a proposal for a lecture, though I haven't booked any accommodation just yet.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #58
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pipe Cross posting this on FaceBook, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I don't think so. If we have a huge cottage for only a couple of people (while everyone else has either already left or attends the seminar), it's going to be freakish expensive. Personally I think hiring one for weeks 1-2 (or then just until the 16th) would be best. After all we can go to another Downer's/hostel/hotel afterwards: not everyone has to stay in the same place all the time!

I say yes to cottage hire but no to three weeks of it.
You're probably right here. But we need to sort this out ASAP.
Given how expensive the cottage hire is likely to be, and given the fact that I own a very, VERY large tent, I would propose that the third week be either, as Aganzir says, split up and go to another Downer's/hostel/hotel or some sort of camping trip. Those don't have to be booked so far in advance, I don't think.

With regards to the cottage thing, I've been doing some sniffing around the old internets and have come up with a few options.

I think Lalwende made a good point about Loughborough not being terribly easy to get to, especially for those coming by plane. So I'm expanding the search, given that weeks 1 and 2 don't require Loughborough proximity, really. We also want to be doing fun stuff and want somewhere it's easy to do that from.
So, here's what I've found...

Chimney Farm Barns - Oxfordshire

Pros
It's in Oxfordshire (near the actual Buckland, so that's fun) and looks fairly neat. Oxford is fairly accessible from London and from the North, so hopefully this will mean weather you're landing in Heathrow or Manchester or some more exotic place, it should be get-to-able

Cons
It's still a tad out of the way and will probably require the drivers among us to pick people up from Oxford train station. Also, it's expensive.

PRICE = Ł1,555 per week

Lydon Barn Lodges - Lancashire

Pros
I have actually seen this place on my travels and it's fairly large, if memory serves. It's in Lancashire - hurray for me - and is very close to a train station. We can get around pretty easily from it and there's stuff to do in Lancashire... Not as much as Yorkshire, as I'm sure Lalwende is about to point out, but Yorkshire can be gotten to from here with only a few changes by rail or a couple of hours by car.

Cons
A tad expensive and it'll be a bit of a squeeze if we get the kinds of numbers I'm hoping for. It'll be no more awkward than the tightest it got at Finland, I don't think, but bring sleeping bags and stuff, anticipating some sort of crazy arrangements.

PRICE = Ł1,650 per week

Town Cottage - Yorkshire

Pros.
It's in Yorkshire, north of Bradford, and is very easy to get to from the train station. Same implications as the ones above. Being in Yorkshire means there are a fair few tourist things we can do. Also, it's very cheap.

Cons.
It's supposed to be for 6 people, so it'll be a squeeze for all of us to get in. More so than the others.

PRICE = Ł860 for two weeks

The Wheelhouse - Yorkshire Moors

Pros.
Anothe one in Yorkshire. More space, nice scenery, close to the coast for those of you who like the coast.

Cons.
More inaccessible than some of the others. Will require a bit more travel for most people.

PRICE = Ł1,389 (for two weeks)

Birchwood House - Peak District

Pros
Middle of England, so we can get to it and from it to anywhere without too much hassle. Plenty of space, plenty to do near by, shops and pubs not too far away. It's also very near to Alton Towers theme park, if we fancy that - it's very child friendly, I seem to recall, and what's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes?

Cons
Still not within walking distance of a train station, but it's manageable. The trains themselves aren't a single trip to London or anything, so it may be a bit of an upheaval for those coming from Heathrow or the South. It's fairly expensive, as well.

PRICE = Ł3,880 for two weeks

Lawns House Farm - York

Pros
Another Yorkshire one, I'm afraid. But Yorkshire IS bigger than the entire world, so...
It's very close to York, so, accessible to all the things. Lots of space, lots of stuff near by - shops pubs etc.

Cons
Pricey and a bit further away from the city than I'd like. But it seems good otherwise, to me anyway.

PRICE = Ł2,010 for two weeks

Crooks Cottage - Derbyshire

Pros
Central, accessible, roomy etc. I think it's the usual stuff.

Cons.
Again, will need some organisation to pick up and drop off at train stations.

PRICE = Ł1,726

Right, now my eyes are hurting.
Those were the ones that caught my eye, anyway. We really need to make a decision on this fairly soon. I'd be happier if we decided before the end of the year and could get it as sorted as possible. At the moment, I am leaning towards Lydon Barn, but I may be biased.
What would be the best way to decide on where to go, guys?

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 12-10-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #59
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Personal preference is as cheap as we can get! And I will drive up there and can pick up and drop off at train stations as needed. Plus I can take up to 4 others from London up there - for example if all the Finns were coming in on the same day.

We really need absolute definite coming/not answers now because that will affect which cottage we can afford.

Joel/Maria (as you seem to be the most informed) can you make a list of all the people invited and then we can tick and cross them off as needed?
Old 12-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #60
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Just to make comparisons easy, here is the link that Squatter found:

Upper Rectory Farm Cottages.

One plus of this place seems to be that some of the cottages can be made to be interconnecting and if I read the page correctly, one arrangement also has a large kitchen for group accommodations, which would make it easier than every cottage having its own kitchen. No?

But in the best interests of British expertise, I say, carry on.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #61
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

If you are looking at staying somewhere away from Loughborough, but still near enough so that folks who are going to ROTR can travel easily, then Matlock and Matlock Bath in the Peaks are both served by good rail links with only one change to be made at Derby if travelling to Loughborough - think it's about 40 mins... And they both have lots of holiday cottages, some of them big, and also lots to do nearby.

Hmmm...if you are going for a moot beforehand and then splitting up so some can go to the ROTR weekend, then you have quite a lot of options. Peak District offers: Chatsworth, Alton Towers, castles, pubs, hiking. Notts offers: Sherwood Forest, castles. York area offers: York, which can keep you busy for weeks, and the seaside at Whitby/Scarborough. Lincolnshire offers: castles, Lincoln, coast and funfairs at Skeggy. All should be easy to get to by rail.

One thing I'd advise, I'd pick something which definitely has enough bed space as cottage owners can be extremely annoyed with you if you break their t&cs!

Lots of large places in Derbyshire:

http://www.derbyshire-holidays.com/

And some more:

Matlock Bath - very good for transport.
http://www.crowpiecottage.co.uk/index.html

And another directory:
http://www.peakdistrictonline.co.uk/...ore-c2731.html

Notts:
Sleeps 18:
http://www.diamondhouse.org.uk/accommodation.htm

Sleeps 22!
http://www.dunhamhouse.co.uk/accomodation.htm

Sleeps 12 and appears to be cheap:
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p93165#reviews

Last edited by Lalwendë; 12-10-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: More things
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #62
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Hmm. So many options. I feel guilty for not doing all this research sooner.
I really think we need to come to a decision soon! Let's make a short-list by, say this time next week?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #63
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Given how expensive the cottage hire is likely to be, and given the fact that I own a very, VERY large tent, I would propose that the third week be either, as Aganzir says, split up and go to another Downer's/hostel/hotel or some sort of camping trip. Those don't have to be booked so far in advance, I don't think.
I think that's a good idea. Anyway we should make it clear that the 'official' moot is going to be on weeks 1&2 and week 3 is the afterparty. Personally I'm not sure I could stay for three weeks even though it would be awesome.

Thank you for looking up the cottages, Hook and Lal!

Quote:
What would be the best way to decide on where to go, guys?
For me, price is the most important factor. But we have to keep in mind that a seemingly cheap cottage in the middle of nowhere can be more expensive in the end as we have to pay more to get there.
I would suggest emailing the owners and asking if they're strict about limiting the number of guests to the number of beds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
We really need absolute definite coming/not answers now because that will affect which cottage we can afford.
I'm afraid if people have to decide now, there won't be many.

Quote:
Joel/Maria (as you seem to be the most informed) can you make a list of all the people invited and then we can tick and cross them off as needed?
(For those who don't know: I'm the Joel she's speaking of!)

Nogrod; Oddwen, Eamane & Oliphaunts_Rule; Bęthberry; Estelyn; Aganzir; Squatter

TheGreatElvenWarrior; Oddwen, Eamane & Oliphaunts_Rule; Bęthberry; Estelyn; Volo; Squatter; Aganzir

Oddwen, Eamane & Oliphaunts_Rule; Volo

People who are attending on Facebook but haven't voiced date preferences: narfforc, Encaitare, Shasta, The Might, Poison Ivy.
Maybe attending, no date preferences: Annunfuiniel, Celuien, Glirdan, Form, TGEW, Fea, Legate, Gwathagor, Lommy, Boro, Greenie, Rune, Gil-Galad, Macalaure, Diamond, Erendis, Lal (did you say you can do whichever week we choose?), Roa, Kitanna, Pitchwife, Durelin, lmp, the Barrow-Wight, Farael, Guinevere, Mirkgirl, Amanaduial (I think), and one I don't know.
Invited: Folwren, Nienna, Naria, The Ka, dancing spawn, Lottie, Nilp, skip, Cailín, Lariren Shadow, Eomer, Brinniel, Beregond, tgwbs, phantom, McCaber, Lush, Valesse, Gothmog, Firefoot, davem, Dimturiel, Sleepy Ranger, Finduilas, Azaelia, Goldwine, Anguirel, Morthoron, and one I don't know.

I guess this (plus the 18 who declined the invitation) is more or less everyone who has decided to Facebook-bond with fellow Downers.

So what we should do now is contact everone on the list, and those Downers who are not on the list, and ask if they're coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
One plus of this place seems to be that some of the cottages can be made to be interconnecting and if I read the page correctly, one arrangement also has a large kitchen for group accommodations, which would make it easier than every cottage having its own kitchen. No?.
That would be good, but if a 4-bedroom cottage costs Ł1,120 for a week, hiring lots of them would be horribly expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Sleeps 12 and appears to be cheap:
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p93165#reviews
I think this looks the best so far.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #64
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Once a Tourist Information assistant....

If you want to have accommodation for a lot of people cheaply then you might want to look at bunk barns/ bunkhouses either YHA or independents. They will charge perskull pernight so might be easier and cheaper than cottages since you don't have everyone wanting whole weeks. Many will have the option of camping onsite. Here is http://www.peakpub.co.uk/camping/ one attached to a nice looking pub in Buxton maybe not ideal because of the lack of communal area but just the first that popped up.

I don't see many cottage owners being flexible on startdates and occupancy at the absolute top of the season. You are quite likely to forfeit the deposit if you break the occupancy limits.

Anyway up to you.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #65
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Right, I think it's time we made a short-list of what we think is best. Here's what I've narrowed it down to.

http://www.peakpub.co.uk/camping/

Thanks, Mithalwen!
I think this is a good idea, especially with it making the working out of cost easier for each person.

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p93165

I agree with Aganzir that this looks promising.

http://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cotta...tedDayOfWeek=0

This is in the Peak District which is fairly accesible and it's not too expensive.

I think those are our best options. We should probably book it in the next few weeks so if anyone has any objections or better ideas don't be afraid to let us know! Time is running out!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #66
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks for the thought and effort that you're putting into this!

The bunk barn sounds like a good possibility - it's a low-priced accommodation, payable by the night, and space enough for a larger number of people. The only disadvantage is that there's no large communal space, so we'd have to hang out together in one of the rooms. (Problem for those who might want to sleep.)

The homestead cottage looks very nice! It has a dining and sitting room, and with the maximum number of guests, the price is good. But what happens if more than 12 want to come? They do allow additional guests in caravans, so perhaps a tent would be permitted?

The third possibility also looks nice, but sleeps only 10.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #67
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

The bunk barn sounds really good. The communal space shouldn't be a major issue either so long as we nominate one of the hired rooms as said communal space from day 1. Might mean a few people sleeping on the floor in the other rooms but most Mooters are used to that by now!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #68
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
As I see I am listed as Facebook-member without a preference I unfortunately have to say that I cannot attend any of the '12 moots. Due to my final thesis and an internship afterwards I'll be sleeping less and drink a lot more coffee till October. I wish you a lot of fun and am looking forward to the pics!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #69
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
The bunk barn sounds really good. The communal space shouldn't be a major issue either so long as we nominate one of the hired rooms as said communal space from day 1. Might mean a few people sleeping on the floor in the other rooms but most Mooters are used to that by now!
Well if the tent were big enough to serve mainly as a communal space maybe that would be an option if most people were sleeping in the barns. Unless the pitch price were prohibitive.... and they might cut a deal on the tent pitch if you dangled the prospect of a substantial barn booking but the lack of indoor communal space being a deal breaker.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #70
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Using a tent as a communal space would be difficult. You'd have to have some people sleeping in it which messes up who pays what each night and you have no guarantee that the tent site will be anywhere near the barn.

As long as 8 people minimum were in the cottage in the second link then it comes out as the same price for a week per person as the bunk barn one and you do get the communal space and a dining room and no other people hanging around yada yada. Sticking point being whether you can have more than 12 people there. You asking Hookbill? Though, of course, we may not given we're spread over 2 weeks.

Third one seems to come out as more per person per night, and does seem to be a bit smaller.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #71
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Making a firm date-range also needs to be done, well, now really. People need to start booking flights/time off and saving up!

Date-wise it looks like 6th-19th is going to work best. Otherwise you will have far fewer than 8 people in the last week and that gets expeeeensive. Given the length of most people's summer (at least, those people who aren't teachers!) two weeks is better than three as well. And quite a few are leaving right after the Moot I think. I think if we make those the official dates and then anyone who wants to stay on after that can organise it separately. Not meaning, separately from other 'Downers, but separately to the cost of the actual Moot.

To clarify from my last post, it looks like staying for a week (meaning 7 days) at the bunk barn will be Ł115 per person. Unless everyone camps - which I think is unlikely and still leaves us with no communal space. With 8 people staying at the second place it's around Ł118 per person. I think the third place came out at Ł212 per person with 8 people. (Though I would suggest someone checks my maths!)
Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #72
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Making a firm date-range also needs to be done, well, now really. People need to start booking flights/time off and saving up!

Date-wise it looks like 6th-19th is going to work best.
I agree. As for what to do for week 3, I'm not sure. Even if I'm not there for that week I'm still willing to let people use my massive tent of doom. It houses up to 15 at a stretch (according to my siblings who have used it to that extent), though 10 is the 'official' number allowed.

I have to say I'm leaning towards the bunk barn, too. Just in terms of simplicity and ease. Also, it comes with more actual beds so there will be less sleeping on the floor. Yay!
I've got some fold-away tables and things that can be set up in a communal room as well as some other general entertainment stuff. I'd have to call them up (from the depths) to find out if they have plug sockets and if so how many. We need our internets, after all.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #73
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Hook I'm actually leaning toward the second place. I think it makes life a lot easier given that all electricity is there and included, there are plenty of communal areas and plenty of space. It's also going to be more private.

I think we do need to start contacting people and getting definite confirmations on who is attending though as that is going to affect the decision. Are you willing to start chasing people up Hook? Let's say we've got definite dates from 6th to 19th August and give everyone ... three weeks? To give a confirmation of their dates (or not!) and an accommodation preference by the end of January and then book.

To start off:

Kath ~ 6th to 19th August confirmed ~ Newark and Shirton cottage (second link).

Everyone else! (Vaguely split up into people who tend to see/speak to each other more often in the hope that any pokes for confirmation filter through.)

Nogrod, Aganzir, Lommy, Greenie, Volo, Legate, Rune, skip

Squatter, narfforc, Hookbill, tgwbs, Lal, davem

Bethberry, Estelyn, Poison Ivy, Pitchwife, the Barrow-Wight, Guinevere

Oddwen, Encaitare, Shasta, Celuien, Fea, Boro, Mac, Diamond, Folwren, Nienna, The Ka, Lari, Brinniel, phantom, Glirdan, Form

Cailin, Eomer

Eamane & Oliphaunts_Rule; TheGreatElvenWarrior, The Might, Annunfuiniel, Gwathagor, Gil-Galad, Erendis, Roa, Kitanna, Durelin, lmp, Farael, Mirkgirl, Amanaduial, Naria, dancing spawn, Lottie, Nilp, Beregond, McCaber, Lush, Valesse, Gothmog, Firefoot, Dimturiel, Sleepy Ranger, Finduilas, Azaelia, Goldwine, Anguirel, Morthoron, TGEW.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #74
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
I think we do need to start contacting people and getting definite confirmations on who is attending though as that is going to affect the decision. Are you willing to start chasing people up Hook?
Sure. I'll get on it at the weekend. Let's make a list of the things we'll need to know from the venues.
General information we'll need;

- Will they allow more people (as we're unsure of a final total).
- Will they allow a tent on the premiss
- Are they okay with rowdy nerds making silly noises about wurst at the small hours of the morning

What else?

Oh, and...

Hookbill ~ 6th to 19th August confirmed ~ bunk barns (first link)
Old 01-04-2012, 04:42 AM   #75
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Esty ~ August 7* - 16 ~ second link if less than 12 come, but the bunk barn is fine with me too.

*I haven't booked a flight yet, but this will probably be my arrival day. I will let you know if anything changes.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #76
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

A few more pictures and info for link #2 can be found here: The Homestead. (Horseback riding! I can see reliving some REB adventures. )

I have to do some planning, as I was hoping to visit a village in Gloucestershire as well as make Britmoot and RotR. So I have to figure out transportation and such. Also flight plans. (I was hoping to avoid Heathrow during the Olympics.) So I can't give a definitive answer now. You can call me a "so and so".

How close are any of these sites to Loughborough? I have the feeling that only a small number will be leaving to attend RotR, so that's something for me to consider.

I know you have trains and buses and all the modern forms of communication and transportation in Old Blighty but seeing as I won't have web access when I'm there, it's harder for me to bring this all together spontaneously. And I'd like to avoid extra costs at the last minute. And in the early minutes as well. I'm probably the only one with these kinds of predicaments and concerns.

Or maybe I'm just a worry-wurst.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #77
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I finally made up my mind and registered for the RotR !
I could join you from 13.-16.8.

(if you hire a flat or house for holidays, is this from Monday to Sunday? In my country it's always Saturday - Saturday)

I just hope the place you choose will not be too far away, and accessible by public transportation.

Last edited by Guinevere; 01-04-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: an afterthought
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #78
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen & Eamane 6th -19th and beyond. I think the bunk barn (first link) looks pretty spiffy. It does seem to have an outdoor communal space, unless I'm looking at the wrong picture. The second place is quite nice too.

Oliphaunts_Rule is unable to get time off for the journey, alas.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #79
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

1420!

Don't include us in the numbers staying anywhere because they're all so near that we can come over in the car for the day - or meet up wherever adventures are being had nearby etc.

To the houses listed...

I know exactly where the bunk barn is, it's on the High Peak Trail and we had a picnic and walk there a few months ago. It's pretty isolated, but also popular and very nice. There may well be a decent bus route there because it's deep in hiking territory but I will have to check - I usually zip past in the car. It's very close to Arbor Low, Gib Hill barrow, Youlgreave, Chrome Hill (the Dragon's Back) and the Silent Woman pub in Earl Sterndale.

The one in Sherwood looks like they'd be flexible with numbers, it's not rented via a holiday agency and in my experience they're more flexible/open minded. Retford, bizarrely, is not an easy trip to Loughborough by train - you need to go into Sheffield and then out again to Loughborough. Though would you only need to do the Loughborough trip the once? Hmm - think about that one!

The one in Turnditch, Belper is 4 miles from Belper station, which is then only 43 mins to Loughborough on the train - an easy trip, you change at Derby. And a group in a taxi for a 4 mile journey would be cheap.

Anyway, I never told you about a dining opportunity none of you would want to miss in the Peak District: Wurst!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #80
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Sorry, not editing a post because it'll look messy

I looked up public transport for the barn at Hurdlow (which looks a fab option if you're unsure of numbers and likely to be noisy geeks ) and there is a bus service up the road on the A515, bit of a stiff walk. Though pubs always know about good taxi services! You can get a bus to Buxton, and from there you can get trains to Manchester or buses around the Peaks and out to Sheffield which has excellent rail links. You may find you have willing car owners or renters though - was there talk of a minibus? I'm also fairly certain they wouldn't mind you having a tent there too as they have a campsite, which is very nice and green. My mate's dad used to regularly spend the night in his van behind a pub near there when he'd had too much to drink.

My dad's caravan is in Longnor, a mile or two from there and the people on the site might know some more about it (no, you can't stay there, it only sleeps two!). And the pub in Earl Sterndale is actually the Quiet Woman (she has no head). Gah.

This is useful: East Midlands Journey Planner

And even though you've found some good ones, I've been scouring and this never came up until tonight when I was nosing on the Chatsworth website. This sleeps 12 and is in Bakewell. Works out at Ł95 each if full occupancy is reached, and they are obviously set up for groups as they rent to stag parties.
Victoria Cottage

Just checked on the second cottage near Retford, and though it's a beggar to get to Loughborough from there, Retford is also on the East Coast Main Line, which is notoriously efficient and it's a 90min trip to Kings Cross from there - work colleagues who live that way out usually catch trains to our London office from there as it's quicker than the Midland Main Line.