The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
All the Wight Reasons?

A casual viewer of book-related threads here might have seen an occasional question regarding the nature of Barrow-wights.
One issue I don't recall seeing before is why the wights were on the Downs.

Quote:
In the days of Argeleb II the plague came into Eriador from the South-east, and most of the people of Cardolan perished....It was at this time that an end came of the Dúnedain of Cardolan, and evil spirits out of Angmar and Rhudaur entered into the deserted mounds and dwelt there.
ROTK Appendix A

Quote:
The Witch-king now had a clearer understanding of the matter. He had known something of the country long ago, in his wars with the Dúnedain, and especially of the Tyrn Gothad of Cardolan, whose evil wights had been sent there by himself.
UT The Hunt for the Ring

It seems pretty clear they were sent to Tyrn Gothad by the WK. But for what purpose? The Dúnedain of Cardolan were gone, dead or fled away. And if these spirits were the Witch-kings to command, wouldn't their services have been of more use somewhere else; specifically, Forcost, where he still had living enemies?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
It's a good question.

The first thought that I have is that the Witch-king--for whatever reason, I can't think of one right now--couldn't send the Wights into the territory still held by the Dúnedain--meaning that the Shire was out, Fornost was out, and Bree was out.

Perhaps, in that case, the Barrow-downs were simply the best spot to put them--a way of hedging in Arthedain's southeastern frontier, and reinforcing the dread that the Dúnedain probably already felt for the scene of Cardolan's final defeat. Despair, after all, was one of the more potent weapons Angmar could wield, and as Arthedain became more isolated and their resolve broke down, that could be quite effective.

It also occurs to me that the Wights may not have been worth much as an offensive force. They seem unlikely to stand up in full sunlight in the midst of battle. Perhaps their presence was more effective on the edges than at the centre of things.

Of course, the Old Forest was already there, so one wonders about the duplication...
Old 08-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Perhaps to stop any re-colonisation of Cardolan by Arthedain?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
Perhaps to stop any re-colonisation of Cardolan by Arthedain?
Hmm. The problem with that is that the Downs themselves lay at the extreme northwest of Cardolan, the bounds of which were the Brandywine, the Road, and the Greyflood. Having spirits inhabit a grave site at the outliers of the realm wouldn't seem to accomplish that goal.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
CSteefel
Wight

CSteefel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Hmm. The problem with that is that the Downs themselves lay at the extreme northwest of Cardolan, the bounds of which were the Brandywine, the Road, and the Greyflood. Having spirits inhabit a grave site at the outliers of the realm wouldn't seem to accomplish that goal.
Although there are suggestions that the northern regions of Arthedain, especially that region close to Fornost, were also haunted. The Rangers went there evidently some times, but they were about the only ones. The question comes up as to why so much of Eriador is deserted, and haunting seems to be the only possible explanation given how pleasant a country the Shire is.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSteefel View Post
Although there are suggestions that the northern regions of Arthedain, especially that region close to Fornost, were also haunted. The Rangers went there evidently some times, but they were about the only ones. The question comes up as to why so much of Eriador is deserted, and haunting seems to be the only possible explanation given how pleasant a country the Shire is.
My impression is that the reputation of Fornost (Deadman's Dike) was a holdover from the war in which the North-kingdom met its end. Fornost had become the dwelling place of the Witch-king after the death of Arvedui, and it seems natural that it would maintain a place in legend among the Bree-landers as a token of fear. That the Rangers would go there to me indicates that there was no truth to the rumours.
The comparitive emptiness of Eriador could be explained by the fact that there didn't appear to be any folk near it that needed more space for long years. All inhabitants seem to have been content where they were: Hobbits in the Shire, Hobbits and Men at Bree, Elves in Lindon and Rivendell, Dwarves in the Blue Mountains. The nearest settlements of Men outside those areas were in Dunland, and indeed some of them had apparently began to seek to colonize the North by the time of the War of the Ring, out of fear of Saruman and the coming war.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Ancalagon'sFire
Animated Skeleton

Ancalagon'sFire has just left Hobbiton.
I had posted this previously when I researched the subject of Barrow Wights, sorry to say I don't have the quotations included seperately as I have cut and pasted. Hope it adds to the discussion though

In The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A (I, iii. "The North-kingdom, and the Dúnedain") Tolkien writes:

"It was at this time [during the Great Plague that reached Gondor in 1636] that an end came of the Dúnedain of Cardolan, and evil spirits out of Angmar and Rhudaur entered into the deserted mounds and dwelt there."
LotR App. A

The origin of the Barrow-wights can be studied from two perspectives. Firstly, we can consider Tolkien's own encounter with them and his continual development of them from the initial seed. Secondly, we must consider their origin from within the confines of Middle-earth and how they fit in this tale.

Tolkien maybe first made acquaintance with Barrows in his teens, when he read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, a medieval english poem. This would certainly have aroused Tolkien's curiosity, and the Berkshire Downs with their Stone Age mounds (with the Nine Barrows Down) were not far from Tolkien's study in the 1930s. Tolkien again "flirted" with these strange mounds and their possible origin and purpose while developing Tom Bombadil as a character, prior to the publication of The Lord of the Rings. In 1934, "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" were printed in The Oxford Magazine. He describes in this poem Tom, Goldberry, Old Man Willow and a Barrow-wight. Interestingly, this was published three years prior to the first chapter of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Out fled Barrow-wight through the window leaping,
through the yard, over wall like a shadow sweeping,
up hill wailing went back to leaning stone-rings,
back under lonely mound, rattling his bone-rings.
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil

Even as he developed the Barrow-wights in his early writings of The Fellowship of the Ring, they were more akin to 'horsed Nazgûl' than the final version we commonly accept.

What must be also considered, is, that a Wight is not a Tolkien creation as such; A Wight is a creature, or a shadowy figure in Middle English. The term itself has been probably derived from the Old English term Wiht, related to the the German Wicht(which in some forms still exists in the german language: e.g. Bösewicht, Wichtelmännchen). The common origin of these words is the Gothic vaíhts, meaning a ghost or a ghostly creature. Certainly not beyond the realm of a Philologist to adapt and elaborate upon the term!

Historically folklore has told tales of Barrow-wights in many forms, even locally to Tolkien himself in the Berkshire Downs, where the idea could easily have sprung. Although the term 'Wight' is described as a 'anarchic person' in The Oxford English Dictionary, it seems acceptable enough for our purposes to understand Tolkiens use of the term as a 'ghostlike' entity, based on less commonly used 'Middle English' meanings of the term. However, Tolkien himself had recorded his own explanation in notes designed for translators of 'The Lord of the Rings' into other languages:

'Barrow-wights. Creatures dwelling in a 'barrow' (grave-mound); see Barrow under Place-names. It is an invented name: an equivalent should be invented. The Dutch translation has grafgeest 'grave-ghost'; the Swedish has Kummelgast 'gravemound-ghost'.'

He did refer to Barrow-wights in another work, aside from The Fellowship of the Ring and "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil". In "The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth, Beorhthelm's Son" (Tolkien's epic 'sequel' to the Anglo-saxon poem "The Battle of Maldon"), which was possibly written around the early 1940's, but not published until 1953, we find:

TÍDWALD
And your eyes fancied barrow-wights and bogies.
It's a black darkness since the moon foundered; but mark my words: not far from here we'll find the master by all accounts.

Tídwald lets out a faint beam from a dark-lantern. An owl hoots. A dark shape flits through the beam of light. Torhthelm starts back and overturns the lantern, which Tída had set on the ground.

What ails you now?

The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son

It is worth pointing out the resemblance of the line from this quote from the poem, to that of a line quoted from "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil'

We don't let Forest-folk nor bogies from the Barrows...
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil

Although both poems have no thematic link, the descriptions used help us to understand Tolkien's imagery of Barrow-wights as an unearthly, supernatural entity. This leads us then to look at their origins within Middle-earth.

There are a great many avenues open to exploration surrounding the Barrow-wights. Why they were sent? From where did they originate? What was their purpose? Who are they?

It is apparent from Appendix A: The Return of the King, that we can first understand the initial origin of the spirits that filled the Barrows,

In the days of Argeleb II the plague came into Eriador from the South-east, and most of the people of Cardolan perished, especially in Minhiriath. The Hobbits and all other peoples suffered greatly, but the plague lessened as it passed northwards, and the northern parts of Arthedain were little affected. It was at this time that an end came of the Dúnedain of Cardolan, and evil spirits out of Angmar and Rhudaur entered into the deserted mounds and dwelt there.
LotR App. A

In addition, we know also that these spirits had been sent from Angmar by the Witch-king himself;

The Witch-king had now a clearer understanding of the matter. He had known something of the country long ago, in his wars with the Dúnedain, and especially of the Tyrn Gothad of Cardolan, now the Barrow-downs, whose evil wights had been sent there by himself.
Unfinished Tales; The Hunt for the Ring

Further in the same passage, The Witch-king is said to visit the Barrow-downs while sending the other Nazgûl to search the Shire for the Ring. However, although it is clear that the spirits originate from Angmar, one aspect of their origin seems puzzling!

Merry states during his revival outside the Barrow, following the intervention of Tom Bombadil;

'The Men of Carn Dûm came on us at night, and we were worsted. Ah! the spear in my heart!' He clutched at his breast. No! No! he said, opening his eyes. What am I saying, I have been dreaming.
LotR; Fog on the Barrow-Downs

This adds a new dimention to the discussion of the spirits actual origin, though my own theory is mere speculation. I believe this quote in itself signifies the origin of these spirits as Men, captured, tortured and corrupted by Melkor / Sauron who died in captivity, became spirits subject to Sauron (master of phantoms) and ironically were sent to inhabit the barrows of their own kind. A mockery in itself that they re-animated the bones of the Kings of old, haunting the places that were esteemed by the Númenoreans, whom the Witch-king was charged with destroying.

Yet, consideration must be given to the fact that The Men of CarnDûm were already in the service of Sauron the Sorceror prior to their demise. We know this at least from the words of Tom Bombadil when he gave them swords from the Barrows.

Then he told them that these blades were forged many long years ago by Men of Westernesse: they were foes of the Dark Lord, but they were overcome by the evil king of Carn Dûm in the Land of Angmar.
LotR; Fog on the Barrow-Downs

CarnDûm was the chief fortress of Angmar, meaning the King would refer to the Witch-king of Angmar. However, it is not so clear who these Men were originally. Most likely it would seem they were BlackNúmenóreans, loyal to Sauron but had departed from Númenór prior to its dowfall and destruction. This then would contend with my own theory were it true, for this would make these spirits willing subjects and not captured, tortured souls!
Ancalagon'sFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon'sFire View Post
This adds a new dimension to the discussion of the spirits actual origin, though my own theory is mere speculation. I believe this quote in itself signifies the origin of these spirits as Men, captured, tortured and corrupted by Melkor / Sauron who died in captivity, became spirits subject to Sauron (master of phantoms) and ironically were sent to inhabit the barrows of their own kind. A mockery in itself that they re-animated the bones of the Kings of old, haunting the places that were esteemed by the Númenoreans, whom the Witch-king was charged with destroying.

Yet, consideration must be given to the fact that The Men of CarnDûm were already in the service of Sauron the Sorceror prior to their demise. We know this at least from the words of Tom Bombadil when he gave them swords from the Barrows.
I think that you are definitely on the right track here. It seems to me that the Wights, whatever their origin, are now tied to the Barrows. Eriador is not generally haunted by evil spirits - this is evident from the fact that the Hobbits are only troubled by evil spirits in the Barrows!

So ... there seems to be something about the Barrows themselves that has kept the Wights there. Maybe they feed off the spirits of the departed? Or they are tied to the place because they are Numenoreans?

In any case ... although they were sent from Angmar by the WK, they are remained in the Barrows forever after .... as far as we know ... prior to Bombadil's intervention.
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Ancalagon'sFire
Animated Skeleton

Ancalagon'sFire has just left Hobbiton.
I wonder did they remain in the Barrows forever after? After the Return of the King and the dessimation of Sauron, the Witch King and the remaining wraiths, were the spirits of the 'The Men of Carn Dûm' driven out from the Barrows either by fear or, as I rather believe, released from the curse of the Witch King's domain over them. Somewhat like the Dead Men of Dunharrow, did they fulfil their role in Arda and when no longer bound to it, traversed the ether to be judged by Eru in whatever manner he saw fit as is his want with the spirits of Men.
Ancalagon'sFire is offline   Reply With Quote