The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which Female Valar is your favorite?
Varda 7 25.00%
Yavanna 8 28.57%
Nienna 6 21.43%
Estë 2 7.14%
Nessa 1 3.57%
Vána 1 3.57%
Vairë 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
~Which Female Vala is your favorite?~

This version of the thread replaces the old one which failed to include two of the 'goddesses'.

Since there are so many Valar, it is necessary to separate them out in some way, so I have chosen to do so by gender and primacy. Please see the "brother thread" to this one for primary Male Valar. Perhaps I will do a poll thread on the Ainur soon.

Feel free to describe what it is that you like about your favorite Vala, and if possible, what characteristics you feel you share with him.

Sorry, you must pick one Vala for the poll. But feel free to name close seconds and thirds, etc.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
It's such a pity that even a brand new updated poll doesn't make it any easier to decide between Nienna, Yavanna and Varda....
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Vairë. She's always struck me as an interesting character. I like history and arts (hmm, is weaving considered art?), and I find it important that someone writes down the history of Eä. And hey, wouldn't Mandos be a wonderful place to live?

My problem with the Valier is that compared to the Valar, they are too... bystanders. Varda may have made the stars, Yavanna may have made the two Trees and so on, but they were never as important characters as the Valar (I'm sure someone will disagree with me now, but this is how I've alwas seen them). Their greatest function was to be wives for the Valar. But considering Tolkien's other female characters (or the lack of them), I guess one must live with it.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Vairë is a Norn wannabe. Varda is awesome for being able to terrify Melkor. Nessa is my favourite because she knows that she has been dealt a great hand by the One, and she delights in her existence.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

All Varda, all the time.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Wonderful! Now that Vána is included, I can honestly say that I don't know whether to choose her or Estë. I will repeat here what I said on the first thread, I thought also about Yavanna because of the trees (with small "t"), Varda because of the stars, but I am not as close to them in other things.

Once, when I was about twelve, I did not care of the lesser Valier (since there was really not much written about them) and I can honestly say I never read or thought about them in any other moment than when I read the Valaquenta (so, that's very little). But I remember once suddenly, unexplainably (and I even haven't read Valaquenta before or anything), one night I had a dream about Estë. I immediately went to check all about her (well, it's not much anyway), but from that time I remember her.

I may note here that Melian served both Vána and Estë, my possible susp- I meant, choices.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I finally picked Yavanna, because the question asks about shared characteristics; I take care of the plants and animals around here! And the Trees are pretty cool.

Varda is my second choice. I know she's an obvious one, but I was always curious about who the 'Elbereth' mentioned in The Lord of the Rings was. Strangely, I had a dream or fantasy in early childhood about a goddess on an island in the sunset, so reading The Silmarillion for the first time was rather an eerie experience.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I voted Nienna. Something about the sorrow and tears and wisdom combined hits me deeply; and Olorin was schooled under her tutelage. Hard to go wrong there.

Yavanna would be my second choice becaue of my love of nature.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
I had a hard time choosing between Yavanna and Nienna. Ended up on Yavanna, because of trees and forests and all that. Nienna is a strikingly beautiful character and has always fascinated me, but in the end she is a little too melancholic.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Um, Elempi, isn't the question supposed to be 'Which Female Vala is your favourite?'

Anyway, I chose Varda. Nienna was a tempting choice because of her melancholic and compassionate nature, and Vána the Ever-young for her ability to induce the blooming of flowers and singing of birds. But it's tough not to like a powerful female whom Melkor himself feared. Besides, stars are indescribably lovely.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Varda. What's good enough for the Eldar's good enough for me.
Mind you, I can see where Eomer's coming from, my second choice would have been Nessa - Taniquetil's party girl par excellence.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
Um, Elempi, isn't the question supposed to be 'Which Female Vala is your favourite?'
I suppose. If Estelyn wants to fix the grammar, she's free to do so.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:49 AM   #13
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Always happy to help, especially if it involves grammar! However, it's not in my power to change the poll title...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:07 AM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Given the tense of the poll, I chose Yavanna since I love trees and gardens and I love the story of the creation of the Ents - some how she and Aule seem to be more characters than ciphers like some of the other Valar. I am a bit of a star-gazer but Varda is too remote a figure to be a favourite - " a bit above my likes and dislikes" as Sam Gamgee might say!

However whe I first read the silmarillion as a teenager, Nienna was my favourite - a strong independent woman, wearing black and that aloofness and weeping for the sorrows of the world seemed quite glamourous. I still like her but Yavanna is more life afirming - and I have discovered gardening is as therepeutic as tears.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #15
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I chose Vana. Although there is little written about her, she is my favorite of the Valier.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yavanna

She Made Ents, end of discussion
Old 09-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #17
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Yavanna

She Made Ents, end of discussion
Yavanna, as well.

She's awesome just for the chapter 'Of Aule and Yavanna' alone. Best divine couple comedy ever for her beautiful tact.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #18
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I decided Varda's too cold and distant and Yavanna's too, well, whiny, and that's why Nienna is my favourite. Besides, she strikes me as a much more unique character than the two others.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
I voted for Yavanna. I don't really feel that I have a good sense of who the others are. She also seems more attached to Middle Earth, one of the few Valar to visit in the time before the awakening of the Elves and the one to come up with the idea of having Shepherds for Trees.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #20
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I decided to go with the variation of choosing the Vala with whom I can identify, who has something in common with me; therefore I chose Vairë the Weaver. I like the little that is said about her:
Quote:
[She] weaves all things that have ever been in Time into her storied webs, and the halls of Mandos that ever widen as the ages pass are clothed with them.
That certainly relates to my love of patchwork and quilting! It also reminds me of a line spoken by the Lothlórien Elves that has become my motto:
Quote:
We put the thought of all that we love into all that we make.
If even a mighty Elven ruler like Galadriel wove fabrics, I am certainly in good company!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #21
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Though I sew and quilt and embroider and weave, enjoy gardening (especially herbs), and have a tremendous love of music, I have to go with Varda, because I have loved the stars since the first time I laid eyes on them. Unfortunately, being raised in a large city, I didn't really SEE them until I was about five and went for a family wedding at a farm in the northern part of the state, but it's an experience I've never forgotten.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #22
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
My wife, Vana, of course. I mentioned that I'm actually Orome, didn't I?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #23
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Nienna.

Definitely Nienna--and not just because I'm especially fond of the Downs member of that name. The Vala herself is awesome. Not that the others aren't, mind you. Varda Elbereth will always have a place, thanks to Frodo and The Lord of the Rings, but in terms of character, I think I can be said to follow Gandalf, and prefer Nienna.

Something about weeping over the wounds of Arda strikes me as profoundly Catholic... though I'm not sure I want to get myself into any sort of an argument there. I think, additionally, that despite the definite identification that could be made between her and "weepiness," Nienna is, undefinably, the strongest of the Valar--not just the Valier, but the Valar. She's the least shocked, despite the most offended, by the marring of Arda.

Also the whole fact that she's probably the one Melkor scorns most, but the one his opponents (eg. Gandalf) have the most to learn from.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #24
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
It is quite interesting that after coming back here after such a long time (and seeing that I could not have made a decision several years ago), I feel now I would choose Nienna, with resounding probably what Form has mentioned above too. Which is quite interesting, nevertheless. Estë could still probably be the other option there, but hers is different and more "profane" or "mundane" approach. Vairë does not seem too bad either, after what Esty mentioned here (story-weaving is indeed something noteworthy). But I think in general I may leave this option open again and see what I feel like voting for in, say, another two years.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #25
Almesiva Moonshadow
Animated Skeleton

Almesiva Moonshadow has just left Hobbiton.
I choose Estë because sleeping all day is my speciallity too...
Old 11-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #26
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
It's such a pity that even a brand new updated poll doesn't make it any easier to decide between Nienna, Yavanna and Varda....
Oh how I agree.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #27
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have trouble deciding between Yavanna and Nienna as well! Varda would go right after them, though.