The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Which Barrowdowns title would you use? (if you actually got one)

I mean, sometimes you get tired and wish for any other title than the 'Ghost Prince of Cardolan', even to the point of wishing to go back to 'animated skeleton' or the 'newly dead'. And then start daydreaming of what title to use if you were authorized to have your own title. What would it be? (That is, for those of you who don't have one yet).

Mine would be Resplendent Eve.

It's said by Lucifer to Eve in John Milton's 'Paradise Lost', one of my favorite books ever and a masterwork on par with LOTR!

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 05-11-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Eorl of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eorl of Rohan View Post
.What would it be? (That is, for those of you who don't have one yet).
Of course, five seconds after the ink was dry on my "Doubting Dwimmerlaik" title, I thought that I could have improved on it some.

Keeps me from getting a tattoo...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It is the pain thing that would stop me getting a tattoo and besides how else would anyone be able to tell me from Angelina Jolie ?

I have never regretted my choice though I still like my other idea, and I like many other people's clever choices - particularly apt Tolkien ones like Alive without Breath and Drummer in the Deep. I have to console myself with an oblique reference to Gandalf...

It does seem a long time since any were awarded but then it has been very quiet latterly.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Alatar, that made me giggle.

Strangely enough I think "She Who Must Not Be Named" would be really cute, considering my usename. That and....erm, yeah. (Yes, I know, it's a Tolkien board. Your point? )
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Your title, like your nick, is kind of permanent. Each must be somewhat short, and, to me, say something about who you are. On the Downs, I thought it important to use something from Tolkien as that's why I'm here.

It was a tough decision, especially for those of us who don't have one best, one favorite, one mode, one mind...
Old 05-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'd go with Lady Logic's Pet Snowflake, although I find myself strangely drawn to the idea of Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I was allowed to choose mine in the dim, dark days when there weren't many here who had a PT, and all of them seemed to be in the vein of 'ghost' or 'sprit', save for Mister Underhill's fearsome 'Dread Horseman'. I thought I should stick with something ghostly, and rather descriptive, since I am really not much to look at.
Today, I might try to be a bit more original.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Given that I'm not the chattiest person in the world, I rather think it will never be needed, but "Pronouncement of Doom" (or something similar) strikes me as appropriate. Aside from the difficult pronunciation of my nickname, there was a time a few months ago when it seemed as if every time I posted to a thread, it either died or went into a coma for a while. Just coincidence, no doubt, but I think I was in a low slump at the time.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes, I certainly felt it appropriate to have a spooky element and for myself I needed a literary reference (though Maud Gonne is as unlikely a comparison as Angelina! save that she was also Hampshire born). And it reflected my restless nature.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 05-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Maud Gonne?

Wasn't she the Irish independence activist that Yeats was madly in love with to the end of his days?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yep and alas I don't have that effect on poets - unless they have trampled each other to death in the rush... but this is going off topic a bit even though my PT is from a poem he wrote for her...
Old 05-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Something from the following for me:

Telchar's Apprentice
Armorer of the Iron Hills
Chief Smith of Erebor
Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith.

That's it. Now, refrain from indulging in further tedious queries and stay the hell off my lawn! ;p
Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Something less emo than my current one.

I still like the Elvish, though. But...maybe something Old English-y or Latin-y...

Maybe something involving 'Minstrel', but that would just be a lie.

Maybe something even more emo having to do with 'blood' to go along with my emo RPG titles.

...I should never get a tatoo either.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 AM   #15
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I was always wondering. What does that mean, anyway?
Old 05-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #16
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Unless I am completely off, 'Hope's bane, Love's chill.'
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #17
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I guess I'd go with "Shadowblade," or some variation thereon.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #18
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Are the titles awarded based on post count or rep? Or do we just have to bribe the Barrow-Wight?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #19
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Members who are awarded titles typically have been on the Downs for at least a year and have reached Ghost Prince of Cardolan status. But most importantly, titles are given to members who have made a significant contribution to the forum and have a high standing reputation (and I don't mean in points).

It's been almost two and a half years since the last titles were given out, which is a really long time. I know the B-W and other admins are busy, but there are so many members who deserve a personal title and I'd love to see them get it. Please?

I received my title in 2003 when I was barely 15. While I'm sure I could come up with something more creative today, I'm still happy with the title I have. And I do have a tattoo.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #20
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Brinniel just gave you the official version.

Actually, I'm the one calling the shots. So if you're lucky I might be so kind.

I'm still happy with mine, it's the job I would have enjoyed the most if I lived in Middle-earth. Nothing like hanging around at the highest tier of Minas Tirith.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #21
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
But most importantly, titles are given to members who have made a significant contribution to the forum and have a high standing reputation (and I don't mean in points).
You must mean in 'height,' as I'm taller than some (and nothing else would explain me getting a title).

Quote:
And I do have a tattoo.
You'll have it in fifty years time as well.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #22
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
You must mean in 'height,' as I'm taller than some (and nothing else would explain me getting a title).
That must explain mine also. After all height is often commented in Tolkien, despite the hobbits' importance most of the other important "good" characters are marked out as being tall. I think you are on to something here Alatar.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #23
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

* Déagol's Shade *

You're welcome.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #24
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Are the titles awarded based on post count or rep? Or do we just have to bribe the Barrow-Wight?
Back when I got mine, the cost of a title was generally to hunt the Barrowdowns from dusk till dawn for trolls (forum and actual) and smite them with superior intellect and / or weaponry. Times may have changed now and with a Democrat in the Oval Office who knows, the admins may be willing to go to the table with said trolls to negotiate... but then I am an old violent dinosaur.

I'm not sure but I think I had only just reached 500 when the B-W messaged me to offer me an individual title. I still suspect that there is another member out there with a similar name and ten thousand-odd posts in the Books section wondering when he / she is going to get his / her dues...

Last edited by Mattius; 08-08-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Additional thinking time.
Mattius is offline   Reply With Quote