The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Admin Thread - WW XCIIX: The Meaning of Death

As Numenor enters its final years, the tensions between the Faithful and the King’s Men reach their summit. Anyone caught opposing the will of King Ar-Pharazon and Sauron, praying to the Valar, or speaking the Elven-tongue is labeled as one of the Faithful. And the Faithful are dealt with in but one way: death.

Yet the Elendili, the Faithful, do not give up. The more oppression they meet, the stronger is their belief in the right of the Valar and the wrong of Sauron. The King’s Men do not trust the words of Manwe’s messengers about their fate, and they are afraid of death. But the Faithful have confidence in their words, and they do not fear their end. Yet this does not stop them from being on the verge of disappearing.

To strengthen their morale and perhaps swell their numbers, Amandil, the descendant of the Lords of Andunie and the leader of the Faithful, gathers his people at a small village near the city of Romenna to hold conference. He is confident that Ar-Pharazon will not think to look for them there, but just in case warns everyone to come in a guise and not to show their real face, for if they are discovered – the whole company is doomed. Little does he know that not only Elendili found their way to the village. King’s Men happened to be inside on the day of the conference, fearing death, and dealing death.

Welcome to WW XCIIX: The Meaning of Death!

Roles

Wolves
3 Travellers, the King’s Men, loyal to Ar-Pharazon. Wishing to show their devotion, they decide to destroy the gathering of Elendili from inside, killing one person each Night. Win when their number equals to that of innocents. (Abbreviated KM)

Gifteds
-Amandil. Upon his death the Valar grant him a boon, and so the identity (but not exact role) of the next in his line (Elendil, or if he’s dead then Isildur...) is revealed to a randomly selected ordo immediately after his death. If there is no one left in the line or there are no more ordos, there are no special consequences to Amandil’s death.

-Elendil. The Revealer. Every Night he reveals the role of one other player to a third player. May not reveal himself, may not reveal to himself. May not reveal the same person, or to the same person, more than twice in a row. The receiver of the dream sees “King’s Man”, “ordo”, or “gifted” – not a gifted’s specific role. The cobbler-cursed appears as ordo before the lycanthropy (that includes the Night he is attacked, since he officially becomes King’s Man at the morning narration) and as KM after. May use gift on Night1.

(For example, Elendil sent Thiliel a dream about Ledwyn. Thiliel sees in her PM: “Ledwyn is of Amandil’s line, ie Gifted”. The next Night Eledil reveals Alferad to Thiliel. Thiliel gets a PM: “Alferad is one of the King’s Men”. The next Night Elendil has to pick a different person to reveal to, since Thiliel was twice already, but he can reveal Alferad one more time, and he can reveal Ledwyn again too.)

-Isildur. Healer. Just like the fruit of Nimloth healed him when he was on his deathbed, so with the fruit he can heal one person – and one only the entire game. Isildur sends me a name during the Day, and that person is saved from lynch. If the person whose name I receive in my PM does not get the majority of votes, the fruit’s power is still not spent, so Isildur may send a name in again the next Day and etc, until the fruit actually saves someone. Isildur does not have to send in a name every Day; he can choose to save the fruit for later. The narration will make it clear that he saved the person at the gallows. There is no limit on how many days in a row he picks the same person, but I’d ask him to send in the name every Day even if it doesn’t change. If I do not get a PM by the end of the Day (ie by DL – :00 counts but :01 does not) I am assuming that Isildur does not wish to use the fruit’s power that Day. I am debating whether to allow Isildur to protect himself or not – what do you think?

-Anarion. Ranger. May protect self, cannot protect same person 2 Nights in a row, cannot protect the same person more than twice the entire game.

Special Role
-Cobbler-cursed (CC). While still a cobbler, wants to confuse the village (wants KM to win). When the King’s Men attack him at Night, he shows his true colours and they accept him into their numbers. The CC only finds out the King’s Men’s identities the Night after the attack on him (he does not know them during the Day immediately following his transformation, but he knows he is a KM now); the KMs are not allowed to PM the CC until the Night after the attack happens. The village will know from the narration that the cursed was hit. If the Ranger is protecting the CC when the wolves attack him, nothing happens. In this case the narration would just say that the Ranger made a save.

(Clarificaion: f.ex. the CC gets hit on Night3. The D3 narration will say that the CC was accepted into the KM ranks, and the wolves vs innocents tally changes. On N4 the CC will get a PM from me naming his new fellows, and they may start PMing)

Rules

The genders in the narrations will not reflect the genders of the players.

SPECIAL NOTE: the narrations will NOT reveal a gifted’s role. They will say that a gifted passed on, but not which one. They WILL mention that the CC was targeted, that Isildur saved the person at the gallows (and therefore there is no lynch), and that Anarion made a save at Night.

The deadline could be either 10:30pm or 6:30am my time (Eastern, -5GMT). I really don’t want to stay up later at night or wake up earlier in the morning, and I only come home around 10pm on some days. But I could do 7:00am as well if that’s better for you.

Votes casted at :00 (:30) count, but those at :01 (:31) do not.

All votes must be ++highlighted.

In case of a tie, neither party is lynched.

If a player does not vote for two consecutive Days or does not post for an entire Day without an explanation on the Admin thread, they will be modfired. Therefore please post and vote!

I am hoping for a fair number of players. If I do not get at least 14, Isildur and CC will be dropped first. If I keep all the roles with a small amount of players it will be quick butchering, methinks.

When I made the game I thought it’s leaning a bit in favour of innocents, four gifteds and all, but now I think it’s too easy for wolves to win since without the usual Seer there is no definitive source of information, and since a gifted’s exact role is not revealed. What think you? I will appreciate any thoughts and feedback that you have.

Players

Morsul
Nerwen
Inzil
Lottie
Shasta
Manwe
PomPom
The Phantom
sally
Eomer
Boro
Steve
Brin
Ghostpaurion Felaghost - "++Eomer"

By the way, I have decided that narrations will include a special bonus so that even dead people can participate. Each narration will include some sort of reference to non-Tolkien stuff. Anything. Other books, movies, history, whatever. I'll try to make it as broad as possible. The person to name all the references wins... *drumroll* ...nothing. This is purely for entertainment and has no significance, in-game or otherwise. It's completely optional.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 11-26-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
If we start after the 17th, I'm in for sure. If we start before that...maybe. I'll have a few essays due at some point before the 17th which need to be quite good. Sign me up with a question mark?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
If we start after the 17th, I'm in for sure. If we start before that...maybe. I'll have a few essays due at some point before the 17th which need to be quite good. Sign me up with a question mark?
Sure thing! I highly doubt that we'll start much before the 17th. Well maybe a few days before, but not much.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'll play.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
A thanks to Inzil for pointing me in this direction- I'm in!
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thanks, Gal, for the invite I should be able to play, and this time with more contribution than last time. Except for 17th-18th/19th when I have Hookbill and Squatter here making my IRL life sweeter.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I just realized: we're halfway there! 7 signed up, 7 people to go. So far so good!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Much as I'd love to play, I don't have time right now. Thanks for the invite, though!

It looks as if it'll be a great game, and I look forward to reading it. The premise is really interesting.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I need a definite answer on the deadline. Things are pretty up in the air right now (some of them literally), but I'll see what I can do.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I need a definite answer on the deadline.
Would you prefer the evening or the morning DL? I suppose the evening, since the morning is dead night your time... What time is good for you? I can try to accomodate...
Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
If you can give a few days off for our Thanksgiving holiday (I'll be out of state with family)...umm, Thurs-Sat (I believe that is the 22nd-24th) than I think I can squeeze in a game. Or even if you start after the holiday, that would be ok, but not much later than the 26th (to start by).
Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hmm... I was hoping to start around the 18-19th. If we get enough players by that time what I could do is start the game and pause it for a day or two on the 22-24 (I have to see how it works out with the Days/Nights and if it makes sense to just have one very long Night that whole time).

Boro and sally, I'm signing you up with a questionmark for now, ok?

Now, if all the questionmarks would be able to play, we only need 4 more people! Yay! And half the players right now are questionmarks. Errrr...
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Hmmm I might be convinced to play...

However I am to start a web-design course this month, and I have no idea how demanding that will be,

I am considering it, and I will try to give you a definite answer soon,

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
These 'maybe's' are definitely the wolfish sort..
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Go ahead and remove the Question Mark for me. I'm in.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

It seems like we're stuck again. Just 3 more people!

If three people sign up in the next couple days, we're starting ASAP. If it takes longer, it doesn't make sense to start until Friday or Saturday due to Thanksgiving. If we still don't have enough people signed up by Friday, I'm starting regardless but without the "cursed" added to the cobbler, and possibly without the CC at all, depending on how many people more we need.

People with questionmarks, it would be nice to hear from you if you'll be able to make it.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Alright, I'm in for sure.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
At this point, either DL will work, but I'll be voting quite early for the AM deadline, I'd think. Either way, I'm in.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #19
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I found out basically right after Thanksgiving (27th thru Dec. 1) I have to yet again be away on a business trip. So, I'm gonna have to say No...sorry G55
Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #20
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Sorry to hear that, Boro. Things happen.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #21
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Can't believe I went two weeks without the Downs. Sorry for missing your PM, Gala.

But you can count me in. Don't think time should be an issue for me in the next few weeks so whenever you're ready to start is fine with me.

++NILPAURION FELAGUND
Old 11-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #22
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Excellent!

Rune and Inzil, please confirm your participation sometime this week.

the phantom has kindly reminded me that I totally forgot to ask someone to advertise the game on FB. If anyone is willing to do it I'd be very grateful.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Rune and Inzil, please confirm your participation sometime this week.
Ahead of you, my dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
the phantom has kindly reminded me that I totally forgot to ask someone to advertise the game on FB. If anyone is willing to do it I'd be very grateful.
I would, but I'm not on FaceBook.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #24
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Ahead of you, my dear.
Oh, haha, we xed and I didn't see! Sorry!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #25
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
++NILPAURION FELAGUND
Say that to my face, you lily-livered licanthrope!

But as much as I'd like to say 'I'd join' . . . sorry, I can't.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund View Post
Say that to my face, you lily-livered licanthrope!

But as much as I'd like to say 'I'd join' . . . sorry, I can't.
That does it. The vote stands! G, can you kill Nilp off in your intro?
Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #27
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Voting before the game even starts? tsk tsk. In-game you don't even know yet that anyone is supposed to kill someone. Buuuuuutttttttttt...

Quote:
Maybe?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 11-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #28
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Quote:
Well, I could join, but I'll have to skip the whole thinking about my vote/role/whatever process and vote for

++Eomer of the Rohirrim

every DAY.

And I think people hate it when I do that.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #29
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund View Post
Well, I could join, but I'll have to skip the whole thinking about my vote/role/whatever process and vote for

++Eomer of the Rohirrim

every DAY.

And I think people hate it when I do that.
I don't know. Some people may find that level of dedication attractive.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #30
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Some people...
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #31
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Some people...
Okay, fine. Most people.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #32
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Leaf

No, Sally dear, I think Shasta means that you are in the minority.

A rather charming, bloodthirsty minority, true, one that I would love to take home and stuff in a tiny box using whatever means possible. But a minority nonetheless.

I could be wrong, though. (There is a fair chance of that happening.)
Old 11-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #33
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Guys, this is ridiculous. I want to start, well, now, and there are 10 people playing and one questionmark. It's less than a regular game needs, and this is a pretty big game.

If no one else signs up in the next two days, I'm throwing out both Isildur and CC.

Night One starts November 26, at 10:30pm -5GMT, which is 3:30am GMT
Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #34
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

And I've changed my mind yet again, yes next weekend will get slightly crazy for me, but I'll still have some time and ability to check in and participate. So, if no one minds that again, I'll seem rushed and pressed for most of the time, I'll play.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #35
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Rune is not responding to the PM I sent him. Could anyone please contact him by other means and find out if he still wants to play?

IMPORTANT ROLE INFORMATION: due to the lack of players, there will be no CC. Isildur remains, but he cannot heal self. So, to summarize all the roles:

-KM: 3. Wolves.
-Elendil. Cannot reveal self/to self, cannot reveal same/to same person more than twice in a row.
-Amandil. Upon death next-in-line's identity is revealed to ordo.
-Isildur. Sends in name during Daytime until makes a save. If I receive no name by 10:30pm my time, no one is being saved that day.
-Anarion. Ranger. Can't protect 2ce in a row or more than 2 times/game. Can protect self.

Deadline is 10:30pm GMT-5.

Narrations and dreams will not reveal Gifted's exact roles. Narrations will make it clear if there was a save by Isildur or Anarion.

Please highlight votes. ([highlight]++G55[ /highlight] with no spaces.)

Oh, and - for the "reference competition", try to find a reference in the narrations (ie what is it, where is it from, etc). Don't "shout out" answers right away. After the game ends, send me a PM with the ones that you found, and the person/people to get the most win. You don't even have to play to do this.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 11-25-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #36
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ok, so I might not have as much time as usual, but it's been too long. Too long.

I'm in.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #37
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Splendid!

Night One begins tomorrow (just over half an hour ago from this post). I'm sending the roles out a few hours before N1, so there's still time to sign up... Last call!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #38
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
So, how much time commitment is required for WW these days? I know it used to take hours and hours to catch up on all the heavy posting and create your own substantial post (at least it did for me). Though skimming through the last game, it seems perhaps WW isn't quite as busy as it used to be. I ask because my time allowance isn't as flexible as it once was. I can only use internet from home (no mobile access), so I'd only be able to participate a few hours most Days.

If that's not a problem, then I'd like to try playing again. I've missed WW and wanted to join a game for awhile, but time has always been an issue. But after two and a half years of not playing and my last game not ending on such a good note, I think it's time I returned. But just a warning...I am a bit rusty.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #39
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, Brin! I think you'll have enough time.

With the last minute sign ups, we might even get a CC!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #40
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Brinn's returned? I am unduly excited. Welcome home to the carnage, dear. We've missed you. Werewolf has seriously toned down over the last....um, however long, so don't worry about time constraints and things. It's nice to have you back.

Also, assuming my math is correct, which it is, this is my fiftieth Werewolf game. (Spoilers: Sensing some serious celebratory Sally shenanigans.)