The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2002, 08:33 AM   #1
Malinear

1420! Oscar Nominations-Congrats!!

Break out the murivor and lembas everyone! The Oscar nominations are out...and FOTR has the MOST nominations with a whopping 13!! The two films tied for second only have 8! I heard that it was the first time that a fantasy type movie had managed to hold such recognition. Go Peter!<P>Here's a quick rundown of the nominations:<P>Best Picture<BR>Actor in a Supporting Role (Ian McKellan)<BR>Makeup<BR>Music (Score)<BR>Music (Song)<BR>Art Direction<BR>Cinematography<BR>Costume Design<BR>Sound<BR>Directing<BR>Visual Effects<BR>Writing (Adapted Screenplay)<BR>Film Editing<P>We've got a number of other great movies that we're going up against..but with a five nom lead minimum over the others, we'll do very well. So don't forget to mark your calanders for (I think) March 23rd.<P>Namarie!
Old 02-12-2002, 08:50 AM   #2
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my best Austin Powers:<P><B>YEAH BAY-BEE! YEAH!</B><P>

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:42 AM   #3
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Ulmo has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Yeah, it is just amazing: 13 nominations, including Best Picture!! If this isn't validation, I don't know what is! <P>Go PJ! Go PJ! Go PJ!<P>
Lord of the seas and one of the greatest of the Valar; in the dark days of the First Age, he kept watch on Elves and Men while the others of his order remained in Valinor. He is famed for bringing Tuor to Gondolin, and so ultimately bringing about the downfall of Morgoth in the War of Wrath.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 10:30 AM   #4
Bad Fairy
Pile O'Bones

Bad Fairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

13 ?? Wow, a very lucky number
For ALL face now the Burning Times."
- L. A. Hussey
Bad Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 02:49 PM   #5
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*blows party trumpety thingy*<BR>Hoorah! <BR>*squeals with excitement*
Old 02-12-2002, 03:20 PM   #6
Androndo the Thoughtfull
Wight

Androndo the Thoughtfull has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Androndo the Thoughtfull
Thumbs up

Go! Go! Go!<P>(but 14 would have been better )
Old 02-12-2002, 03:42 PM   #7
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Oh I know!!! I was so happy to hear that they got 13 nobs!!!!! Wowzers!! I was jumping up and down. I was so happy for all the people to worked to make FOTR a sucess!! They diserved it!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 05:02 PM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Hope it won't turn out like the Golden Globes did... <BR>In the meantime, congrats to everyone that worked on the film! Big kisses for to all of them (hmm, imagine how many people I would actually have to kiss, maybe I could just limit myself to director and cast, eh?). <BR>Ian McKellen deserves to win. I doubt he will. Regardless of that, I bow low before him, he <I>was</I> Gandalf.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:34 PM   #9
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

I was INCREDIBLY pleased to learn that LOTR got nominated in ALL of the categories it should have been nominated in. I was worried at first because i thought they might not get every category they deserve. (remembers the Golden Globes this year-ugh!) But it's all good now! They sure have stuff competition this year, but the movie is a beautiful work of art, and i hope those judges can truly appreciate that. It's wonderful filmaking and thoroughly moving, as well as enjoyable, by all.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 11:51 PM   #10
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
Sting

But one can`t be to sure rght?The history of the Oscar is not in favor of fantasy am i rght?Look at the past nominations and winner shall i say...most are dramas that reflect on life itself...American Beauty and so on.<BR>Anyway i am glad taht FOTR got those nominations that they deserve...they should win of course
Old 02-15-2002, 04:15 AM   #11
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I wouldn't worry about winning too much, if they don't get the oscars they'll get the Baftas: Britain's notorious for awarding the opposites of the US! remember Titanic? loads of oscars and NO Baftas whatsoever!!<P>Mind you, it'll be better if LOTR wins all on both!

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 04:23 AM   #12
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

And who was worrying about winning or not...all of us.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:54 AM   #13
Balefalathiel
Animated Skeleton

Balefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

GO, LOTR GO!!!!!! (and take all oscars!!!)
Balefalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 04:00 PM   #14
The Shirriff

1420!

Hi to all, I'm a longtime lurker (er, "guest"..) who just signed up. <BR>Congrats to all who had a part in making the movie for the 13 nominations, but I'm a little pessimistic going into the awards. I've seen "A Beautiful Mind", and it's just the kind of performance-driven, emotion-wringing story of adversity and redemption the the Academy just eats up. (Though you want to talk deviations from the book!... I just finished reading the biography the movie is based on, and whooo boy did they play fast and loose with John Nash's actual life...). I fear we're going to go the way of all epic fantasy flicks and clean up in the lesser categories and get shut out in the big ones. FOTR's AFI award predated A Beuatiful Mind's wide release, the Golden Globes were probably a better barometer. Oh, well, hopefully I'm WRONG, and anyway it is going to be VERY cool just to have FOTR be mentioned so often and be such a big player during the ceremonies.... Cheers, all!
Old 02-17-2002, 08:25 AM   #15
northernlight
Pile O'Bones

northernlight has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hi all...i'm really excited about all those oscar noms!! personally i don't care what we win/don't win...we all know the film deserves every award it's nominated for! <BR>it's so good to see this movie get the recognition it deserves!<P>i haven't had time yet, but tonight i'm going for a celebratory viewing
Old 02-17-2002, 10:43 AM   #16
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's great news, but personally, I was disappointed that the acting didn't get more recognition. There was so much more to the movie that special effects. Ian McKellen was fantastic, but I really believe Sean Bean deserved a nomination as well, and possibly also Viggo. I suppose they couldn't nominate all three, but still, I was disappointed.