The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Arathorn111
Pile O'Bones

Arathorn111 has just left Hobbiton.
What if Glorfindel joined the fellowship to Lothlorien?

I know that the discusson of replacing and/or adding some of the elves of Rivendell to the fellowship has been discussed before. I know that it would be folly to send the most powerfull elves to Mordor, since Sauron would have spotted them before they could have destroyed the ring. But what if Glorfindel would have joined them at least to Lotrlorien? Since Gandalf reveiled himself the problem of conceileng Glorfindel wouldn't be as big a problem.

The plan B of the fellowship is to take the path of Moria, and even if they didn't know that Durins Bane wans't a Balrog at least they would have excepted as much. So why don't send the Balrog Slayer, Grolfindel, at least to Lorien? Sending a Great Elven warrior from one elven realm to another would hardly arouse Saurons suscpicon .

Was this option chosen because they didn't think they would need Glorfindel, because they didn't want to alert Sauron or because they needed Glorfindel in Rivendell?
Arathorn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Arathorn111
Pile O'Bones

To make this clear

As the title says I just wan't to make the posts question clear.
1. Why didn't Glorfindel join the company?
2. What would have happened if he did? Would he just kick the a** of the Balrog and let Gandalf fly with the others?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arathorn111 View Post
1. Why didn't Glorfindel join the company?
If I recall correctly, the decision had already been made by Elrond that Legolas would be the Fellowship's Elven representative, when they were trying to decide on the final two slots. Why him, and not Glorfindel? Well, maybe it was thought that Glorfindel, and the Noldor in general, had already had their time of glory in the First Age, and their time in Middle-earth was winding down. The Silvan Elves had traditionally been of little account in comparison, Legolas was there at Rivendell, and he was selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arathorn111 View Post
2. What would have happened if he did? Would he just kick the a** of the Balrog and let Gandalf fly with the others?
Glorfindel might have "felt" the presence of the Balrog very early, leading to an alteration of the decision to enter Moria at all. Though he had been able to defeat one long before, I am sure he would not have relished the idea of another contest. Maybe the company would have kept trying Caradhras and frozen to death!
At any rate, I think it would have cheapened the story, and completely spoiled Gandalf's great sacrifice and subsequent return. How could Gandalf the Grey have defeated Saruman, or even healed Théoden as he did as the White? You could say that it was another instance of "fate" playing its part, and making conditions right for greater events to occur beyond a single Elf having another moment of glory.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
Arathorn111
Pile O'Bones

Inziladuin:

Yes the Noldor weren't much involved, directly, to the events of the late third age, but to send Glorfindel to Lorien wouldn't have hurt, would it?
To send a Silvan elf to represent the elves is the most logical choice at the time of the late third age, but I picture Glorfindel as just a "guard" to Lorien.

Yes everything had to happen the way it did for the story to play out the way it did, but I was just thinking short term here. But do you really think that the addition of Glorfindel would change the way the fellowship took?
Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have a feeling that Glorfindel would have gone, out of a sense of duty, if the two last open slots of the Fellowship would not have been filled by Merry and Pippin. As for going as a guard, even if you're going half-way you're still going. If yu add one guard, you may as well add two, and three, and the point of 9 members is gone. Also, they did not know for sure they would pass through Lorien. Beyond that they had to start out going south, they had no clue what their route will be. They had to improvise on the spot depending on the situation. Giving them a guard until a certain point defeats this point also. And if you don't give the guard a destination up to which he must protect the Fellowship, I doubt anyone would just say mid-way that his job is done and he will return home. He'd follow till the end, which would just make it 10 members. 9 is a good number - not too big, not too small, and it reflects the number of the Nazgul. If you stray to either direction you may as well forget the whole idea altogether.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Arathorn111
Pile O'Bones

Since none of the members of the fellowship, except Frodo, were bound to go Mordor (Aragorn and Boromir were heading for Minas Thirith for example) I think that it wouldn't be a problem that Glorfindel would only follow them for just one part of the journey. As for the fellowship being nine walkers to counter the nine riders it would have been ruined if Glorfindel as well would have joined them IF he would have been appointed a member of the fellowship.

The main reason for adding Glorfindel as a guard, according to my weird little world, was as a precaution towards Durins Bane, should the fellowship be forced to take the route through Moria.