The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2003, 02:17 PM   #1
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Question a simple question how do you make your selve look hobbitish or elvish

how do you make yourselves look hobbittish/elvish? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 26, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadurwen ]

[ June 26, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadurwen ]
Old 06-21-2003, 02:24 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Wow, I wonder what a hoobit it! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

That's a pretty vague question. To start it off, I'd say, start describing yourself. Are you tall, short, fair, dark, etc.?
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 02:46 PM   #3
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

well, you could start with the attire... like nice ethereal dresses and elvish costumes, or hobbit style breeches and jackets and vests... and hobbit style dresses. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
then you could get those latex hobbit/elf ears and you could get hobbit feet if you really want to look the part, or you could grow your hair out, and make some braids (elvish) or if it's not already, curl it (hobbit)
Old 06-21-2003, 06:18 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Because acquiring ears and costumes, etc. takes time and money, the first step I took to becoming an elf was the hair and the colours i wore. I had a few green/grey/brown outfits, so I stuck to those colours, in order to make myself more like both and elf and a ranger. I also had a great elven style dress that I already owned, and a few elvish looking tops that were more Arwen-style, so I didn't have to look like a cross between Legolas and Strider all the time.
Oh, and as a jewellery addict, I had no trouble finding at least a few pieces among my collection that had a vague elvish look.
And my hair was already long and elvish, so all I had to do was master the art of braiding. Which I still have to do...

[ June 21, 2003: Message edited by: Meela ]
Old 06-21-2003, 06:43 PM   #5
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Maikadurwen,
I would say that the best way to look 'hobbitish/elvish' is to put yourself in the mindset of these fair races. For example, if you want to look elvish, immerse yourself in things of sweet tragedy or melancholy. Eventually, what's inside will come out, and to be genuine, you need to be on the inside what you are on the outside. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Oh, Welcome to the Downs! Post well, read the rules, use the search function, and enjoy yourself.
One last thing- you may want to change the spelling on the topic line.
Peace
Old 06-21-2003, 08:02 PM   #6
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Do you mean how do you make yourself look hobbit like or elf like in an every day sense? Or for costume purposes alone? I only know a bit about costume purposes for hobbits:

For He-Hobbit style dress: It's mainly old english dress. You have the white linen shirts and motif embroidered, button up vests with tail coats all in colors that are earthy tones. For the pants you have crabdigger, or below-the-knee length breeches of mostly just dark brown to go with everything. One may have a pair of dark green. No shoes, obviously. One might also own an ankle length cape to wear on hobbit-walking parties.

For She-Hobbit style dress: One would wear simple dresses with a bodice, ruffled sleeves, and a wide skirt layered with underpetticoats. Adorning the dress are small and simple forms of lace and other sort of decor. The colors would be earth tones but one could also wear light purples, blues, and pale yellows in plaids, floral, and solid designs. Over a she-hobbit's skirt an apron would be tied as she goes about her every day duties such as cooking, gardening, and raising young hobbits. Her hair would be curled and either braided down the back, put up in a comforatable bun, clasped in the back to keep the whisps out of her face or let loose down her back.

Elf dress is a bit more varied depending on the race and duty of the elf. Of this I know little about.

-Maikafanawen

[ June 21, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 06-21-2003, 09:33 PM   #7
Arestelwen
Animated Skeleton

Arestelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

elves I know...
for costumes, as Fanawen said, you can use many colours and shapes.... try to steck to wide sleeves though..
But it's true what Yavanna said. If you feel like something, you will show it. That's the charm.
I can't think of any other way to advise you.

---------
*whispers* if you wnat to look elvish like everyday.... the key is in the hair, the eyes and the ears... and the attitude
Arestelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 11:04 PM   #8
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

i think it would help to look more like an elf if you grew your hair out. mine already is... but once my friend and i tried to put our hair up like elves. we had it partialy back in a pony tail, then had two strands of bangs (?) that were even coming down from the top of our heads... it was pretty lofty [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 22, 2003: Message edited by: Alatariel Telemnar ]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Alatariel Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 09:25 AM   #9
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well to be an Elf: Dress in long, flowing clothes and have a nice but natural hairstyle.

Hobbit: No shoes! Country clothes and maybe a curly wig. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 02:51 PM   #10
Maikadurwen
Wight

Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Sting

HELLO
Old 06-22-2003, 02:54 PM   #11
vey
Pile O'Bones

vey has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

L.P ,
MINE COMES NATURALLLL!(ELVEN LOOKS) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

"There is a foul voice on the air."(legolas)
vey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 02:55 PM   #12
Maikadurwen
Wight

Sting

HA HA
Old 06-22-2003, 02:56 PM   #13
Maikadurwen
Wight

Sting

DO YOU LIKE MY FRODO THINGIE [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2003, 03:10 PM   #14
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Maikadurwen,
Could you kindly stay on-topic please? Welcome to the Barrow Downs. One of the rules here is to stay on-topic and not get chatty. Make sure you read the fora rules at the top of each forum. Post well and with substance in your posts. If you have any further questions, please feel free to PM me. I would be glad to help. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 06-22-2003, 03:13 PM   #15
Maikadurwen
Wight

Sting

SORRY I DIDNT MEAN TO DUDE
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2003, 03:33 PM   #16
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

It also might be a good idea to use punctuation and not to type in caps-lock.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:46 PM   #17
Maikadurwen
Wight

Sting

sorry again
Old 06-23-2003, 08:22 AM   #18
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

That's all right. Just try not to do it in the future, because there can be dire consequences. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:24 AM   #19
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Trying to get back on topic...
myabe if you want to glow like Galadriel, you could put a bunch of Christmas lights around your room... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] but then you would only glow in your room.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 06-23-2003, 10:09 AM   #20
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Braid them into your hair. I've braided beads, bells, tinsel, feathers, jewels, and god knows what else into my hair. Lights will be next.

*imagines Legolas wearing a tiara of shiny green tinsel*

[ June 23, 2003: Message edited by: Meela ]
Old 06-23-2003, 10:16 AM   #21
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

*imagines Legolas wearing a tiara of shiny green tinsel also*

Heehee, thats a funny image.... maybe someone can put a picture of a tiara on his head... I dont have a program like that so I can't...

Old 06-23-2003, 03:18 PM   #22
Elrowen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Elrowen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Greenleaf
Eye

My mom did my hair to look like Legolas'. She commented that I actually looked like an Elf. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (I have brown hair, so I was just an Elf warrior.)

The bow of Legolas was singing.
Elrowen Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:34 AM   #23
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

The braid thing really worked for me to look elvish. You can find the link to do that somewhere in this forum.

-Goodbye everyone, I will miss you, I'm off, till our next meeting,
-Ainaserkewen-
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 12:40 PM   #24
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

Hmmm... What do I do to look more elvish/hobbity...
Right.
First of all, after I've read LotR I feel Elvish. So I put my (Naturally!!! Go me!) long blonde hair up Legolas style. Except I've found that doesn't work - it's too long. So I have a peice of elasticy tinsel that I use as a kind of tiara thing. Then I put on my green dress and brown cloak. Then I practise my elvish/archery, depending on whether parents are around (I'm not allowed my bow up in the house/garden [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )

I normally feel hobbity the rest of the time. And I don't need to do anything to look more hobbity, except maybe curl my hair!
Old 06-24-2003, 10:01 PM   #25
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Silmaril

How do *I*? Well, I'm pretty sure I look Elvish if I just put my hair behind my ears. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] If I pull a little in front of my ears, like Galadriel did her hair, then it *really* makes me look Elvish. I plan on getting an 'elvish' dress to take my picture in when I do my self-portrait for my photography class. ^_^
Old 06-24-2003, 10:19 PM   #26
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I've a full hobbit costume, cloak and all, so that helps quite a bit. I generally wear sandles too, which adds to the image. I have very curly hair, and I'm not overly tall, so both of those contribute.

Sad part is, I'm none too fond of Hobbits. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:23 PM   #27
Maylin
Haunting Spirit

Maylin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maylin
Sting

well....if u want to feel hobbity, try listening to 'concerning hobbits' for hours on end, i think thatd be enough to make a elf feel hobbity. Same could go for how to feel like an elf, though the music would need to be more mellow and slow, with a less distinct melody. to look, i have no clue, cant do anything with my hair, its too full of chlorine.
Maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:04 PM   #28
Elvanui
Animated Skeleton

Elvanui has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

For Elvish-ness(and hobbits too I guess) you could put flowers in your hair?
Natural, non-flashy clothing would probably help too
Elvish-ness is more actions based however: looking Elvish requires a graceful air (unfortunatly I don't have this. I am an extreme klutz, leading me to believe I am half human)

Finally, if you are very very pale(like me), dont' let the mean people who call you albino even when your not pressure you into getting a tan. Whenever they call you albino, tell them you are an elf (which makes them too freaked out to bother you again)
-Elvanui
Old 06-25-2003, 07:51 PM   #29
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
glow like Galadriel
You can also do that by hiring people to follow you around with a light set up that they use in movies...you can also get that elvish look in your eyes(the stars in galadriels eyes during the movie as a result of the lighting effects). However the only setbacks would be the expense and that people would look at you strangely when you are walking down the streeet...not to mention the fact that they will probably ask you why in world you are doing that. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:52 PM   #30
Arwen Melian
Wight

Silmaril

Also...you might want to squint your eyes slighty so that you look "wise." [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 03:18 PM   #31
Maikadurwen
Wight

Sting

well im kinda of short so im trying to go for hobbitty looking
Old 06-26-2003, 03:52 PM   #32
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For a Hobbit, one must have suspenders. (for future reference, plain strips of cloth do NOT work) We drew extra hair on my brothers feet with a brown permanent marker, it didn't come off for a month. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 07:48 PM   #33
Maikadurwen
Wight

Sting

im a hobbit
Old 06-26-2003, 09:31 PM   #34
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

you see to be elvish as many of these folk have said is mostly in your actions, but clothes do help beautifully coloured robes, dresses and other garments that have a flow to them, but if it is a warrior elf then that is slightly different. More earth colours, browns, greens, etc.That are less flowy so as to not disturb trees or bushes when you are on the hunt for orc.
A hobbit is old english country clothing, which has been described many a time before. But all in all it is all in your attitude and your demenor, the air you have about you influences everything about you. You may look like an elf but have the heart of a hoobit and vice versa, but they both love and cherish the earth and peace.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:46 AM   #35
Maikadurwen
Wight

Sting

i want to be more hobbitish than elvish
Old 06-27-2003, 12:39 PM   #36
Maikadurwen
Wight

Sting

help meee!
Old 06-27-2003, 03:34 PM   #37
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Just wear trousers, braces, no shoes, curl your hair as much as is humanly possible, and constantly keep a pipe in your mouth. And get an unnaturally tall man dressed as a wizard to stand next to you. Or just stay on your knees the whole time.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:04 PM   #38
Linteamarthwen
Pile O'Bones

Linteamarthwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I have to say I looked the part of an elf, long before I loved LOTR. I have long brown hair and fair skin to match. I'm not to tall...only 5'6". But thats bigger than some people are today!! Anyway...I try to wear what colors lorien elvs and green elfs wear. Oh, to set it all off, sometimes I wear my Evenstar Necklace! (If you are wondering if it is a great buy...take my word for it. IT IS!!)
Linteamarthwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:28 PM   #39
Arwen Melian
Wight

Silmaril

That depends which version of the evenstar necklace you get and if you change the crystal for a better quality type. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2003, 06:34 PM   #40
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, Maikadurwen, staying on your knees is a plus. If you're almost six feet tall (like my brother) it's a necessity. If you can't find short trousers, dark cuorduroys or jeans rolled up works just fine. And a button up shirt. With one of those out of place pockets on the front. Refer to Frodo.