The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2004, 09:06 AM   #1
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Did the Ents help Lothlorien out?

Near the end of RotK the Fellowship, Elrond,Galadriel and Celeborn visit Isengard. Treebeard then mentions something about Orcs coming but being defeated by the Ents and 'the great ones gathered here',Galadriel and Celeborn. Did he mean Lothlorien was attacked and the Ents went to help them?

Wouldn't that be dangerous,considering they left Saruman unattended...or would he allready have gotten out of Orthanc by then?
Old 01-17-2004, 10:24 AM   #2
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, I don't think so! After reading the passage it seems to me that many orcs crossed the Anduin to attack Lothlorien and Rohan from the North and East. Treebeard says about there attack at Lothlorien that they could not come into it, thanks to the Lord and Lady. Rohan however was empty and there the Ents did help by fighting the orcs.
So, they helped defending Rohan from the North and maybe even from the East, but Lothlorien was guarded well enough.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Exactly. Lothlorien was not invaded thanks to the courage of the elves that lived there, but mainly thanks to the "secret power" that dwelt in the land (i.e. Galadriel).

The ents attacked the orcs that wanted to invade Rohan. That's the place where they helped.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:37 PM   #4
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Wouldn't that be dangerous,considering they left Saruman unattended...
I think that by that time the Watchwood had been 'planted' around Isengard. The huorns would have provided a nice wee leaguer to prevent anything coming in or out. Some ents must have been left at Isengard as well. Treebeard would not have left huorns without any ents, just as you wouldn't (in the old days that is) leave your sheep without a shepherd... especially if they were murderous, man-hating sheep. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quickbeam, I'm sure, would have been more interested in keeping an eye out for Saruman so long as there was any chance of stomping or strangling involved. I think he was more concerned with revenge on Saruman himself than any orcs.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:01 PM   #5
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Murderous, man-hating sheep... that's interesting.

In RotK, when the Rohirrim are riding to Gondor, their scouts tell them an army is invading from the north. During the council of the captains, someone refers to it "... an army still unfought upon our northern flank." This was that army.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:48 AM   #6
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wasn't that the army that was supposed to cut off the rohirrim, but that got cut off itself when Gondor and Rohan won on the Pelennor Fields? Or am I mistaken now?
Old 01-20-2004, 06:21 PM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I distinctly remember something about the Rohirrim sending a smaller contingent to dispatch some of the other sub-armies heading their way, during the Ride of the Rohirrim. Of course, I could be mistaken.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote