The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2001, 02:35 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye Do I dare? Do I dare?

Salut. To all. I've only just begun reading the books, and my interests in Tolkien have taken me here. I'm a brand new Tolkien fan, freshly unwrapped, still carrying that plastic smell, so please don't beat me to death with half a sword if I make any blunders. <BR>After reading several posts I noticed two things; You guys are definitely true Tolkien fans, and you are very hard to please!<BR>I think maybe we should all give Peter Jackson a big round of appalause, because he did an amazing job. I understand that changes that he made are quite irritating to you, but please remember that he wanted everyone to enjoy the movie, Tolkien purists and the uninitiated alike. Books and movies are two very different artistic mediums, and what works perfectly on paper may not always be transferred onto the screen. <BR>The Fellowship of the Ring was one of those few movies I wanted to live in. I laughed, I cried, I fell in love with Legolas, and I enjoyed Arwen. <BR>Furthermore, I finally realized just how much I wanted to read Tolkien. And now I am very happy to be here. <BR>I believe that change is coming, and your ranks will swell with people like me- new, curious, opinionated, maybe a little annoying. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy may be on its way to becoming a cinematic cultural event, and lots of previously "unaffiliated" people will be attracted to it. Please don't shun us. <BR>Otherwise, what do I do now? Give out my measurements? My eye color? My dog's name? Bow three times? If there is etiquette that I should follow, please say so!<BR>Well, maybe I'll just go and read some more... <BR>Merry Christmas!<BR>Love,<BR>Lush.
Old 12-24-2001, 03:39 PM   #2
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome Lush! And Merry Christmas to you too! Visit & post often!
Old 12-24-2001, 03:46 PM   #3
Eve
Pile O'Bones

Eve has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I LOVE Dorothy Parker!<P>of course, I can't judge because I've not seen the film yet. Funny, from the pics I've seen Legolas looks rather gormless, yet everyone seems to fancy him. will be interesting to see. have to admit I tend to go for blonds!<P>newbie myself, currently getting attacked in the other forum (I never have been scared of being controversial!). seems like an interesting place.
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 11:05 PM   #4
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Question

Yikes! Why attacked? What did you do? Accidentally say a cussword in elvish? (This seems to happen a lot with foreign langauges, you're trying to make conversation, and instead utter an obscenity) But I guess controversy is a good thing, it keeps people awake!<BR>Love,<BR>Lush
Old 12-25-2001, 12:58 AM   #5
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Welcome, Lush! <P>Everyone had to read the books for the first time sometime. Barrowdowns is good about being respectful to new people and ideas. I put it to the test recently, pushed the envelope with a really off-the-wall subject. Got a serious response back from Gilthalion, couple touchy responses, no rotten eggs or tomatoes.<p>[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 12-25-2001, 01:28 AM   #6
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

I have been posting here for about 6 months. Pretty much all I do is ask questions.<P>My advice is not to be scared to voice your opinion. Diversity creates interesting conversation around here. And I agree, the movie was well down even if I found some parts made my eyes roll... unintentionally.