User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #281
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
IT IS LATE AFTERNOON IN THE SHIRE.

THE WEATHER IS FAIR - BUT THE RAINSTORM MAY BE GATHERING ONCE AGAIN ON THE HORIZON.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-08-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:26 AM   #282
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Thumbs up

~*~ New RPG Discussion Thread Open ~*~

Durelin invites you to look at the discussion thread for the new game:

~*~ Bloodstained Elanor ~*~

Click HERE to view it.

Come play!

Players already in the game are: Amanaduial the archer, Arvedui III, Aylwen Dreamsong, Fordim Hedgethistle, and, of course, Durelin.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:41 AM   #283
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Aman

Aman grinned, wrinkling her nose at Uien, and the elf blushed as an 'ooooh' rose around the table, looking down at her hands in her lap as a little pink spot appeared on each cheek. As her eyes darted up again, the Innkeeper winked at her and she smiled back - evidently she and Falowik were still as happy as they had been when they left. And if anyone deserved it, it was Uien. She had had a hard life, despised and isolated from all she knew throughout her childhood and young adulthood...Aman's thoughts drifted to Snaveling at this thought. A kindred spirit to Uien, one might say...

As if someone had read her thoughts, Aman heard a voice close by her ear. "May I have a word my Lady?"

Bredan's voice, and the fact that he was so close that she could feel his breath on her ear as he spoke, made her jump, spinning around in her chair. Instantly, out of the corner of her eye, she saw Eodwine stiffen, but shook her head very slightly at him, covering it by brushing her loose hair from her face - she had let it down before coming to listen to the story, to give it a rest whilst she wasn't working. She smiled down at Bredan where he was kneeling, turning it her chair, caught for a second between listening to the tale and customer. But then, Bredan was hardly going to be talking about business, she worried....

Making up her mind, she turned back to the rest of the group, rising. "Excuse me please, I have some business to attend to for a moment - can I get anyone a drink or something to eat?"

A murmur of people asking for drink as they drained their glasses greeted her and she mentally noted the orders - there was nothing like a good tale to whet people's appetites. As she threaded her way through the crowd, she caught Uien's eyebrows raised in askance and nodded, beckoning with her head.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #284
Ebonymist

Annnnnnd we're back!

To the left of the crowd, two beings that had come and gone several times during the past few months were currently seated at a small, rather wobbly table. The first -a tall, rawboned man with skin as white as milk and eyes of curious amber-gold- hunched slightly so that he might accomodate his long limbs, staring intently into thin air. Either he was currently deep in thought, or he was daydreaming. Either situation seemed equally plausible at the moment.

His female companion, on the other hand, was observing the activities of various people that happened to pass by their table, with rather marked interest. Morrigna had, for once, foregone the bleached-bone riding leathers she was normally seen in, for a simple tunic and leggings of green velvet. Her steel-colored hair was unbound -also an unusual sight- and hung down her back in curling waves. Her mossy-hued eyes were at half-mast, and she suddenly jerked upright, something or another having caught her attention. Uncrossing her legs -her knees creaked audibly as she did so- she gave her friend a curious glance.

"You seem even more quiet and withdrawn than usual, Von," she remarked. "Something on your mind?"

The lanky man turned his searing gaze upon her, and considered his words carefully before speaking. "Crowds make me... uncomfortable," he admitted, absently tracing grooves in the wood of the table with his fingertips. "As you well know, my, ah, people... were a rather solitary sort-"

His statement was abruptly cut off in surprise, for Morrigna had siezed his palm and was examining the index finger critically. "That scar," she mused. "It's not even started to heal, even after all this time." Vondros tugged rather pointedly, but she kept her grip.

"Such things," he replied, glancing at the bandlike scar that she referred to, "do not heal easily even with time. Particularly for me. You of all people should know I do not have the strongest of constitutions as a result of the last war."

"True," the woman allowed, finally letting go. "But wouldn't you say it's high time you at least attempted to rejoin the outside world?" She gestured around her. "This is a good time as any to start." That statement earned her a withering glare.

"And if they knew what I had been before the last war?" he retorted. "The elves we met on the way here nearly feathered me with arrows when they managed to make the connection." He drew the edges of his cloak tighter around his bony shoulders. "They viewed me as an enemy before the war, and there truly is no reason why their opinion should change."

"Ah, Vondros," she sighed. "Forever the optimist."

Last edited by Ebonymist; 06-08-2004 at 02:25 PM.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:55 PM   #285
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
The old man heard the Innkeeper ask, "Who is this Master out of the north?"

And the storyteller continue on:

"Was, more like, for he is no more, but that gets ahead of my tale. He called himself Herugor, an Elvish sounding name, which I am told meant something akin to 'lord of horror'. That title was true enough. But I have not yet told you who he was. He was the Dark Lord's Lieutenant of Barad-dur, and he was known to us who were at the Battle of the Morannon in the War of the Ring. He was called the 'Mouth of Sauron'."

The name brought a hush, for even though that Dark Lord was no more, his evil Ring destroyed, his name was not spoken lightly.

Alwin stood listening to the unfolding story, his eyes troubled at the mention of The Mouth of Sauron. His old bones shivered within the folds of his thick robe despite the warmth of the room. He was about to ask a question of the storyteller, one Eodwine, when he felt a small hand slip into his and the weight of a little body press close against him.

Jack’s eyes were large, looking up at him for some assurance. He was just eleven, but he’d heard tales of the Dark Lord’s doings; and as he’d traveled with Alwin, he'd viewed some of the dreadful damage his twisted forces had wreaked. Even after all these years, the scars left by the shadow could still be seen and felt. ‘He’s not near, is he Grandfather?’ he whispered as Alwin bent down to him.

Putting his arm protectively about the boy, Alwin drew him toward a nearby chair. ‘Come, we’ll sit here, Jack,’ he said gently, pulling up another chair for the lad. ‘The Dark Lord is gone, and from what I’ve understood of the story so is his evil minion now. Light has pushed back the shadows once again.’ Alwin nodded toward the table where the seven adventurers sat, drawing Jack’s attention to the one of the Fair Folk who sat with them. ‘See . . . she has come through it and the light still shines in her eyes.’ Jack’s eyes were fixed on the Elf’s face. ‘We are safe for now, are we, Grandfather?’

‘For now we surely are. Safe in this Inn, in the heart of the Shire,’ Alwin answered, motioning for Buttercup to come near. ‘I think we would like to go to our room, if you would, little mistress. Can you show us the way?’

Last edited by Arry; 06-08-2004 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:01 PM   #286
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! Falowik

Falowik listened as Eodwine spoke of the Mouth of Sauron, and the room hushed. A stranger came and knelt beside Aman and whispered in her ear. Aman seemed startled and blushed a little. She excused herself, asked if any would like drinks, and exchanged a glance and nod with Uien. Uien met Falowik's glance and rose from her place, following Aman and the stranger into the kitchen. Eodwine held forth with his tale of being brought by wagon to the stronghold of Herugor in the northernmost Hills of Evendim, imprisoned in his dungeon, and there told stories of what befell each prisoner in turn. Eodwine was asked what fate that was, but would not speak of it as long as children and any of weak heart or digestion were about. He promised to retire to a quiet corner late in the evening, and speak of it in a low voice to any who would hear of it then.

Falowik, for his part, had heard of Herugor's cruel ways, and chose not to think on it now. He wondered what Uien and Aman were talking about. Falowik was happy. Happier than he could ever remember. He decided that when Uien came back to the table, and after the tale was told, they would go for a walk to the old tree, and the pond, where everything had started. He smiled and drank from his brown ale.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:46 PM   #287
Ebonymist

Hearing mention of the one called Herugor, Vondros's head whipped around with a speed that would have heretofore seemed impossible. His face was even paler now than it had been, making him look positively ghastly in the flickering light, and his orange-gold eyes had widened to near-frightening proportions in his head. One hand sought out the arm of his companion, tightened on her wrist until Morrigna let out a gasp of pain. "What... agh... has gotten into you?"

"That man," Vondros ground out, "said Herugor." He rose to his feet, unwittingly pulling his friend upright, for he still had her arm in his iron grip. He strained to hear, but the babble of voices, hushed though they might be, only let a filter of a few words through. 'Come," he said, his voice as close to urgency as she had ever heard it. Morrigna, quite frankly, was on the verge of alarm. She'd never seen her companion act this way, much less in public.

Whomever this Herugor was, the name rang a bell with him.

"Von... ngh... loosen your grip," she gasped, beads of sweat breaking out on her forehead. "You're fair crushing my hand."
Glancing at that which he held, the pallid youth cast her a glance of slight apology and removed his fingers from her skin. He'd held her so tightly that red marks stood out against the neutral tan, and she rubbed it, swearing under her breath. She also let don Thorg tug her after, threading his way through the patrons of the inn. Once at a comfortable distance closer, he pressed his back against a wall, listening intently.

Morrigna took the time, then, to take a good hard look at those that conversed upon the subject of the Mouth of Sauron. She'd heard of him, certainly, though only by his title and never his name. And now she was curious, for though this had not as much impact with her as it did on her fellow, her interest had been piqued.

Last edited by Ebonymist; 06-09-2004 at 01:12 PM.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:26 AM   #288
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Aman

Aman prepared the drinks as she looked over the bar at Bredan, unsure of how the man would act, but her expression was all business. After all, the last time she had seen him, he had looked quite prepared to murder Snaveling simply for being near Aman. Death on suspicion of courting...

She nodded to Uien, smiling at her under her eyelashes as she pulled out a pint. The fair elf had been waylaid by an ancient hobbit who, by the painstaking care with which the hobbit's lips were moving and the eternally patient look on Uien's face, would keep her there for a fair few minutes. It would be wonderful to talk to her again! But first, to Bredan.

"Master Bredan," she said politely, pushing the pint across the bar to the man. "How may I help you? I fear last time we were acquainted you were a little..." she sought for the right word, before finally settling upon "upset. Can I ask whether you are less agitated now, and if you slept well?"
Old 06-09-2004, 01:53 PM   #289
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Twylight

"Why, yes!" Bingo responded to Twylight's query, a delighted smile lighting up his entire face. "Do come with me, Miss Twylight, and I will introduce you to Marcho and Posco."

He led her over to a table over by the fireplace where to hobbits were sitting. She realized with a start that one of the hobbits - the one Bingo introduced as Marcho - was the one she had noticed earlier. But his look of evident self-loathing was now replaced with one of great suspicion. She wrote him a note, her smile faltering slightly.

Pleased to meet you, Marcho.

The note had the opposite of the intended effect. His eyes narrowed to slits and his upper lip curled up in a sneer. He was beginning to make Twylight feel very uncomfortable and guilty, even though she had done nothing wrong.

She shook herself mentally, and turned her attention to the second hobbit. He was sitting hunched down in his chair, as if he wanted to avoid everyone's eyes. She had heard Bingo introduce him as Posco.

It is wonderful to meet you, Posco. she wrote, smiling as a faint blush tinged his round cheeks. He looked up through his eyelashes at her, which she noticed were startlingly long.

Taking the chair Bingo pulled out for her, she watched the hobbits drink in silence. Marcho, the surly hobbit, had insisted that Bingo sit next to him as opposed to "the lady of the Big-Folk." Bingo had seemed somewhat taken aback by this, but had agreed with good humor.

An awkward silence followed as Posco gazed into the depths of his mug and Marcho glared at Twylight. She had just realized how warm it was right next to the fire, and was wondering if the other hobbits noticed.

"So," Marcho said gruffly, "what brings you to the Shire?" She jumped, her mind being pulled away her discomfort.

Visiting. I have a very good friend who lives here, in the Shire. We have been friends since our childhood.

She pushed the paper into the middle of the table, and all three hobbits craned their necks to read what she had written. While they read, Twylight pulled her midnight-blue cloak off, revealing a tunic made of what appeared to be the same material underneath and leggings of a silvery material that was akin in looks to mithril, but was soft and supple.

Marcho seemed unsatisfied with her answer, but remained silent for the moment.

Last edited by Sirithheruwen; 06-09-2004 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-09-2004, 02:05 PM   #290
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Toby Hornblower had to admit, but not in the least to others, that he was confused. Perhaps it was just the fact that days passed too quickly now, or perhaps it was the fact that hobbits seemed to be spurting from between the slivers of the floorboards like blossoming, multicolored plants stuffed foppishly into a dizzying array of Halfling garb. Losing track of all the conversations around him, Toby had busied himself with manufacturing smoky circlets from his carefully carved pipe, which he held delicately between two fingers in an upper-class manner, dangling the device, and bobbing it up and down as one would a crystalline chalice of the finest wine. Marcho, the hobbit left to tend Toby’s nonexistent whims, had seemed wrapped up in his own descended gloom, which accosted Tobias with some slight, but manageable level of annoyance as he let the chair he had moved to devour him comfortably, still humming stupidly to himself.

Yet again, the old hobbit's mind wandered through the lofty attic of itself, searching within for some reminiscence, some vague and nervous memory he could summon up from murky depths and sigh over pitifully until he felt the need to be jocund again. He thought back to Snaveling, and his rugged, overbearing expression, hunched form, and wretched gait. He thought back to Roa, with her lady-like strides and her gentle, but firm attitude towards life. He thought back To Valthalion, that upstanding man, brave and brash, though somewhat stalwart and conffused about the theories he continually spawned. He reminded himself of that calm, brisk day when he'd come to the inn to hear Snaveling's raspy voice broken and, having undergone a magical metamorphosis, sweetly singing like the skyward birds, with the melodious melody of Galadel's flute behind. Those, thought the withered old Southfarthinger, were the days.

Soon enough, Tobias Hornblower was able to piece together what was occurring. Though the hobbits that Toby had been discoursing with were all but dispersed, they began to slowly reassemble. At last, two figures materialized before Toby and Marcho. One was the characteristically small silhouette with a long, flickering shadow painted on the floor behind him by firelight’s delicate brush-hairs, of Bingo. The other, more slender, less jovial, but still with a certain imposition, was an unknown female, who’s demeanor quickly caught Toby’s eye. As Bingo introduced the lady to Marcho, who seemed just as displeased with the state of things as ever, Toby stood, brushing himself off and smoothing his ruffled feathers politically, and stepped forward towards the woman and hobbit lad, acknowledging the presence of the former as he spoke to the latter, looking a little beleguered and sleepy, with an inane tiredness in his dark eyes.

“You’ll have to pardon my…antisocial tendencies, Masters Cotton and Brandybuck,” he murmured at first, his yet unaccustomed voice still quavering involuntarily as he addressed the two polar opposites, “but I have been a bit indisposed by my muddled self for longer than I can remember, so this uprising of new folk in the inn has stolen my wits from me. Let me say that I think those lost wits may have been recovered, so I may join you in the world of reality now.” With that, after bowing his head apologetically, the upstanding, barrel-chested Halfling turned to the delicate figure beside Bingo, not taking note of the scrap of parchment she clutched or the very mild glint in her enchanting eyes. “I see you’ve brought a charming maiden to our ‘table.’ Might I have the profuse pleasure of an introduction, madam?”
Old 06-09-2004, 02:07 PM   #291
Alaksoron
Haunting Spirit

Alaksoron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alaksoron
1420!

'Jean' did not immediately abandon his conversation with the 'Farowik' character. he raise his voice, though the man did not seem to have any desire to speak to him.

"I should say it has been twelve years, and you were barely more than a lad when I met you. I be not surprised ye not remember me, but me I ne'er forget a face. Ye was running from....er... something, off on yer own, when I met ye. I be a peddler, ye see, and I sold ye a bush knife, and for half price too, because ye were so young. And look at ye now, all grown up and made yer fortune. No sir, I never forget anyone I helped out along de way."

He sat back down and returned his attention to Peony. "Sorry about that lass, I saw someone I knew dere."
Old 06-09-2004, 06:26 PM   #292
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! Falowik

"I be a peddler, ye see, and I sold ye a bush knife, and for half price too, because ye were so young. And look at ye now, all grown up and made yer fortune. No sir, I never forget anyone I helped out along de way."

Falowik frowned with the effort to remember. So it was Bree. Yes! He remembered now. Few and far between were fond memories of Bree. Old Barliman and Jean Peddlar were rare in his memory.

Uien had followed Aman to the kitchen. Falowik picked up his mug and excused himself to Eodwine and the others. He walked over to the table where Jean Peddlar and a hobbit sat.

"May I sit here?" Jean Peddlar looked up at him with eyes that betrayed his miff at not being recognized, not to mention finding Falowik slow to converse.

"Nobody's stopping ye."

This was not a good start, which did not bode well in Falowik's mind, since he was not given to trusting others much at all, and up until a few months ago, not trusting anyone but himself! Not even Barliman who had helped him escape. He sat down.

"Forgive my rudeness, Master Peddlar, sir. I am not known for my sterling manners."

"Oh aye," said the Peddlar off-hand like.

Falowik nodded to the one whose name he had overheard as Peony.

"What brings you to The Green Dragon, Master Peddlar?"
Old 06-09-2004, 06:51 PM   #293
Alaksoron
Haunting Spirit

Alaksoron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alaksoron
Eye

Falowik nodded to the one whose name he had overheard as Peony.
"What brings you to The Green Dragon, Master Peddlar?"

"Oh, traveling. Going to visit me father. Thought I'd stop in at the Old Green Dragon for an ale and a warm bed. 'Tis a fine inn, to be sure. Have ye still that knife I sold ye? Twas a fine knife, as I remember. What have ye been doing all these years, me boy?
Old 06-09-2004, 07:24 PM   #294
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

1420! Falowik

"Yes, I have it." He pulled it out of his belt. "It has done me well these last twelve years. I have lived in the wilds north of Bree and the Shire, fending for myself and seeing no man and few beasts. There is really little to tell, until I saw Eodwine captured by the Master's men."

"Aye, the one ye calls Herugor."

"Yes. So I reported it to the shirriffs here, and so met Uien the Fair, who .." Falowik paused. The words needed to tell who Uien was to him, were not the kind to be spoken to someone not seen for twelve long years. "has become my greatest friend."
Old 06-09-2004, 08:16 PM   #295
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Peony was unable to say anything to Jean before Falowik sat with them. He nodded to her and she smiled and returned the gesture. As the two men spoke she made a swan out of her napkin. Or at least she tried to. After a few failed attempts she put the napkin aside.

Falowik and Jean continued their conversation. Peony waited until their was a break so she could ask Falowik a few questions. Finally her chance came. "Mr. Falowik, if I may ask, where do you hail from? And what brings you to the Green Dragon?"
Old 06-10-2004, 05:27 PM   #296
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Remembrances

"....... and that's how it was done," the old hobbit announced with obvious pleasure and more than his fair share of curiosity. Uien smelt the end of the long tale coming and brightened a subtle measure.

"A fine story to while away a busy afternoon, Master Hobbit," she said with a kind smile. "It will cheer me whilst I help Aman keep ahead of the pints." She began to rise, smoothing her skirts and trying desperately not to run away before the elderly hobbit cranked up again. Despite his age, though, he was quick. His hand was featherlight but tenuous. It wrapped around her wrist. Uien had two choices. Walk away and drag the talkative oldtimer after her, or remain to listen longer. After a moment of contemplation for the former option, she decided to listen a while longer. The hobbit cackled and struggled to lean up on his toes. Uien was not going to sit, oh no! She watched him wheeze with the effort, a canny hobbit as he was, and bent her ear.

"They say that there are ships still at the Havens," he whispered conspiratorially. Uien was entirely unsure where this was going, and so cautiously responded, "I do not know, good sir." He waved that aside like an annoying gnat. "That's what they say, make no mistake. Ships that have taken hobbits before, like Crazy Baggins and that other whipersnapper.... what was his name.... odd fellow like his uncle...."

"Frodo Baggins," Uien carefully said with deep reverence for the Ring Bearer that had ended Sauron's dominion. "Yes," said the old hobbit, seizing on the name, "That's the fellow. I gots to thinking.... Those Bagginses, they had contacts... friends in high places. If they can gets themselves a place on a ship, why can't I? All I need is a... friend..." He smiled winsomely up at her and Uien found her struggle was to not laugh. He mistook her silence for something else and sighed windily.

"I can make it worth your while," he added a little ruefully, disappointed that his charm had not been all that was necessary and wondering why those odd Bagginses had managed to wheedle their way onto a elven ship. Uien patted the old hobbit's hand fondly.

"It is a long journey even from here to the Haven's. Two days ride, longer still by wagon. I doubt you will find a ship waiting at harbour once you arrived," she said and he seemed crestfallen. "But, should you make that arduous journey, and find a ship, then you may have my place." The old hobbit brightened. He grinned at her in joy as his grandson at last returned from the crowded bar with two pottery tankards. Uien straighted as he nodded gratefully at her. As the old hobbit gushed thanks, his grandson shot her a quizzical look.

"The Havens," he asked and Uien nodded. "I'm terrible sorry about that, my lady," he awkwardly said. "He's been on about the Havens ever since it were first heard that the Bagginses took ship."

"The ships do not leave any longer, or so I believe. But if there is a ship, your grandfather is welcome to my berth for I have no need of a Westward journey. Only, do not have him come to the harbour and find none waiting. Go to the towers, climb them. You will see a ship if it is there. Do not expect to see one at all. Mayhaps he will find some peace in his days now that he has a berth." The grandson, mystified, nodded and Uien took her leave.

Aman was lost behind a crowd of customers all seeking ale. Uien took up the battle against the tide of empty tankards. Over the hubbub, Uien smiled across to Aman. The innkeeper returned a warm grin of her own. "Some things do not change," Uien observed as she handed back four full tankards and received another three empty ones for her trouble. Aman laughed, "Not round here, Uien." When she had the chance, Aman would speak to her and Uien could ask her questions. For now, she was happy to help as she had upon a time, for behind the bar she was afforded an excellent view of the common room. Indeed of one particular table, and one particular man who sat there in contentment. Her Laurëatan.

"My name ain't Laurëatan, but it can be if it gets me my ale," grinned a customer at her. Uien flushed and returned to the task at hand, handing him a full tankard and an apologetic smile. The bar, during the busy afternoon session, was not the place to drift in daydream. Despite that, Uien's eyes could not help but always wonder back to Falowik and sometimes when she looked up she found she met with his own gaze. At such times, all thought of all, tankards and a busy bar fled right out of the window.

"Hopeless," Aman muttered goodnaturedly at her. Uien sighed and looked back to Aman. "Absolutely,' she said without a trace of remorse.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 06-10-2004, 07:09 PM   #297
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

Lily was surprised to see how much the Common Room had filled up since she had left on her walk. There were now several larger groups of people and the mood of the Inn seemed livelier somehow. She realized that Mira and Willow had apparently decided to stay outside for a while longer, and that she was alone. She made her way over to the bar and requested a cup of tea. It warmed her hands, and tasted very good as well.

She looked around, wondering if there might be a group that she could join. Let's see... she thought. She spotted a group of four hobbits and a woman, one of the Big Folk. That didn't put her off one bit; she was, after all, from Bree. She decided to make her way over there and introduce herself. She smiled and tucked that same stray wisp of hair behind her ear again, and wove her way between chairs and tables over to them.

As she got closer she was able to see them more clearly. The hobbits all appeared very different. One had a rather gruff expression on his face, glaring almost. That put Lily off a bit, but she kept on. A second seemed rather shy, and a third was smiling, and the other... Lily wasn't sure about him. She noticed the parchment held in the woman's hands, and wondered a bit about that. There's nothing for it, I suppose, she decided, and took the last few steps toward them.

"My name is Lily," she said. "Do you mind if I join you?"
Old 06-10-2004, 08:17 PM   #298
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

1420! Falowik

"Mr. Falowik, if I may ask, where do you hail from? And what brings you to the Green Dragon?"

"Falowik Stonewort is the name, Miss Peony, and I hail from Bree. I am happy to meet you and ask forgiveness for my ill mannered ways. I am not used to being among so many people." It was thanks to one Elven woman in particular that he was as free of speech as he was. He cast his glance over the crowd, to the bar, and saw Uien behind it, helping Aman with a crush of customers seeking refills. Their eyes met. His heart filled, and he could not help but smile.

"And what brings you here?" Peony reminded him.

He turned his attention back to the maiden. "Forgive me. I have been on an errand into the Hills of Evendim to the north, and have lately returned, my errand completed. You may have heard Master Eodwine of Rohan telling his tale. It was I who saw him captured and reported it here, and the Master of Buckland, a friend to Master Eodwine, put out a commission and reward to bring Eodwine back. I did little but help steer the errand runners on their way, but those with me have proven themselves to be heroes and Hobbits, Humans, and Elves of great heart. But I run on and on without answering your question. Aman and others here took great interest in the fate of Eodwine, and we are here to deliver the news that he is alive and well."

"And what of you?" Falowik gave Jean and Peony glances, including them both in the question. "I am eager to hear both your stories, but far be it from me to say who should be the first teller!"
Old 06-11-2004, 09:17 AM   #299
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Peony smiled and moved a strand of red hair out of her eyes. "I come all the way from Minas Tirith with my companion, Deva the dwarf. He is lurking around the inn somewhere, maybe he will come join us in a little while."

Peony paused a moment, before continuing her story. "My father was a great traveler and it was him who got me started on my own. Orginally I was supposed to head to Bree on an errand for my brother, but once we got there I saw the need to adventure a little farther. That is how I ended up at the Green Dragon."
Old 06-11-2004, 04:44 PM   #300
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Shield Willow

Really, she had wanted to stay outside longer, but the chill was starting to catch up to her. Willow sighed. Lily had went back into the Inn, not that Willow had anything against that, and she had wanted to stay out there longer. It was getting too chilly for her thin cloak though, and she couldn't stay out there, unless she had wished to risk getting a cold.

And once again, her sleepyness was catching up to her, and she sighed hard. The Hobbit stood up from the stump she had been sitting on, and walked back towards the Green Dragon Inn.

She was chilled through and through, leaving no trace of warmth within her. Willow's first though was that the wind had picked up, or something, to cause the extra chill, but it soon became obvious that that was not the case. Seemingly, she had picked up on a slight cold, or something.

That left her without any options, but to head back into the Inn, whether she wanted to, or not. Willow didn't exactly fancy heading back in among all the people that had seemingly headed there for the rain, but she didn't exactly have a choice. Entering back in, she was struck by how many new people there were since she had went out for that little walk... so many people. All sorts of races too.

She shook her head. She had to go inside, or risk getting sick, but the amount of people crowding around... it was almost sickening in itself. Willow had never really liked crowds, she remembered all too well as she stepped back in, and hung her cloak back up, to look around and see if maybe Lily was still around, or someone else that she knew.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:01 PM   #301
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

1420! Party of Seven

"We thought we were dead for certain," Gorby said. "Eighty mounted warriors, coming down three different hills at once, and there we were in the valley, back to back, with a half dozen horses in the middle of us."

Anson said, "It did not look pretty."

Gorby picked up his story again. "But Esghallugwen and Lumiel, the Elf maid warriors, they did fine work with bow and arrow at first, then with their swords."

"I wish I had been to see that," said Eodwine between sips of his ale.

"But Anson and me, we were of little use to the others, mere baggage, we felt, and one of our ponies went down, I cannot recall whose right now, and it looked as if we would be trampled."

"But Lira came to our rescue," Anson interrupted, "and we escaped to the fourth hill, and hid in a grove of trees up top. I was wondering where Falco was."

"I was staying low and our of harm's way among the horses while the big people fought. Maybe it seemed cowardly on the face of it, but I knew I was little use with just my dagger and cudgel. When the battle shifted to the hill Gorby, Anson, and Lira escaped to, all the others chased after the foe galloping that way, but I stayed behind. I had a thought that maybe where they came from was not so far away. So I went over the next hill, and sure as sure, there was a settlement, all stockaded about. I snuck over and discovered that all the Master's men, save four, were at the battle with my friends. It was not so hard to sneak inside and find my way to the prisoners and free them. Once they were freed, it was easy to overpower the four guards."

"Tell them how you turned the tide against Herugor, Falco," said Eodwine with a wink.

"Me? Turn the tide? All I did was hide and wait for the right moment, but that's getting ahead of our tale, don't you think? Besides, maybe I did my part, but if had not been quick thinking yourself, Master Eodwine, who knows how many of us the ugly Master might have killed besides Lira, may she rest in peace?"

"Oh, aye, we all had our part to play, and we each of us did our parts, and that is what makes the difference. Now Anson, why are you looking so glum suddenly?"

"I did not play much of a part, and I kept Gorby from joining you. Maybe if we had gone along, Lira would not have died." Anson's face was a picture of woe. He wiped his eyes.

"Do not overburden yourself so, Master Anson," Eodwine said. "I saw Lira fall to her death, and I doubt that there was anything you, or Gorby could do, short of calling one of the Great Eagles to drop out of the sky of a sudden, and they were far away. It was Lira's time. I wish I had known her."
Old 06-11-2004, 09:11 PM   #302
Sarin Mithrilanger
Animated Skeleton

Sarin Mithrilanger has just left Hobbiton.
Sarin

Sarin rode along the wide grasslands of the Shire, as he puffed his pipe. His fiery beard shone in the sunlight. His brown eyes sat like pebbles under his heavy bushy eyebrows. His pony’s magnificently groomed hair seemed to glow. He had been traveling for quite some time now and it seemed as though he would never get to this Inn he was told about. He was tired and hungry. Perhaps it’s over this hill, he thought. When he had almost completely given up on this Inn he finally saw it. The Green Dragon Inn. Finally, I get to drink! His eyes began to water but he quickly whisked them away and tied up his pony.

As he strode into the Inn he took little time ordering his meal and drink. He went to the corner of the Inn just as quickly. His meal or, (as it might have looked to others) his small feast, was more than he could have asked for and he kicked up his shoes and struck up his pipe. He began to think just way he had come this way and not just going straight to the mountains. He wanted the adventures everyone else spoke of but he began to think how foolish it really would have been to go rushing up on those foul creatures by himself. Tomorrow is yet another day, perhaps something will find me if I stay here. After he finished his pipe he decided to get some sleep. He would talk to these fine folk later.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:23 PM   #303
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

They were waiting for Buttercup to get the fresh linens from the laundry and make up their beds, when the door banged open and a man with fiery hair blew in with a gust of evening breeze at his back and the fragrance of the evening blooming phlox rushing in around him. Alwin looked with interest at the new fellow, wondering if he were another adventurer come to The Green Dragon.

Little Jack slipped his hand from Alwin’s and climbed up on one of the stools near the bar to catch a better look at the newcomer. ‘Look, Grandfather,’ he said, grinning at Alwin. ‘He’s as hungry as I was from our long walk to get here!’ The two watched as Buttercup, having asked them to wait just a bit while she helped Ruby bring the man’s meal out, toted platter after platter of food to the new fellow’s table, along with Ruby who brought him a pitcher of ale.

Just as he was finishing his meal and pushed his plate away looking tired, Jack scurried over to his table and pulled on the sleeve of the man’s tunic. ‘Begging your pardon, sir, but my grandfather’s sent over a little pouch of pipeweed from the Southfarthing.’ Jack smiled and held out the little leather pouch.

Alwin had by this time come over to the table. ‘It’s true – finest weed in the Shire.’ He chuckled as he thought back on the farmer who had given it to him. ‘We passed through the Southfarthing on our way up to the Green Dragon. Spent the night with one of the farmers in Longbottom. He was very proud of his crop this year and pressed a goodly quantity on us. ‘You just show those Hobbits up north how good the Southern leaf can be!’

Jack put the pouch onto the tabletop, then sat in one of the empty chairs. ‘My name’s Jack,’ he said. ‘What’s yours?’

Alwin shook his head and smiled indulgently at the boy. ‘Eleven years old and not one to beat about the bush.’ He bowed slightly to the man, then nodded at Jack. ‘We’re just traveling through the Shire. My name is Alwin. We’re bound for Bree next. How about yourself?’
Old 06-12-2004, 09:49 AM   #304
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

NOTE: Durelin's game is now filled.

Thanks for your participations!

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-14-2004 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:48 PM   #305
Sarin Mithrilanger
Animated Skeleton

Sarin Mithrilanger has just left Hobbiton.
Sarin looked at Jack and smiled warmly as he slightly bowed his head. "Thank you, lad. I'm certain that this will be the best pipeweed of had yet. My name is Sarin Mithrilanger. I'm just passing through the Shire as well. I'm not sure where I'm heading next. I'm seeking adventure and am yet to find it. What is in Bree for the two of you?"

Sarin packed his pipe with the new pipeweed and took a long puff. He sent a smoke ring up to the ceiling and gave Jack a small wink as he drank his ale. Ale ran down his beard as he drank. He lowered his mug and offered some ale to Alwin.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:20 PM   #306
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Twylight

Twylight looked in surprise at the newcomer to their table. Her face was flushed with the cold. "My name is Lily," she said. "Do you mind if I join you?" After a split second of surprise, she wrote:

Why no, we don't mind at all! My name is Twylight, and I'm very pleased to meet you, Lilly! Please, sit down.

She glanced at the other hobbits, but none made any protest, although they all showed characteristic facial expressions. Marcho grimaced, Posco smiled shyly, and Bingo beamed at the newcomer.

Lily took a free seat and grinned toothily around at them all. "So, what are you all doing here together? Did you travel here together?"

Oh, no, we only just met. However, Marcho, Posco, and Bingo... she pointed to them all respectively. ...and their friend are traveling together. I'm here visiting my friend; he's going to join me here tomorrow.

Marcho shifted around uncomfortably in his seat at this new news. Lily seemed to feel the tension around the table, and her smile slipped a little. Marcho opened his mouth to speak...
Old 06-12-2004, 08:59 PM   #307
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bombadil
Boots

Iadarion opened his eyes to an empty room. After shaking his head (which proved to be most painful, as the throbbing pain didn't agree with such rigorous motion) he stumbled out of the bed and into the hallway.

Now where has my friend Twylight gone off to? He thought. He wanted to thank her - for he assumed it was her- for putting him in a nice bed so he could get his rest. As he rounded the corner there she was, but this time with many new friends.

Iadarion sat down next to some hobbits, and for the first time waited for the others there to instigate the conversation.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #308
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
"Look," said Marcho. "There's that drunkard again."

Bingo whirled, saw Iadarion, and hurried to him, arms outstretched and a wide smile on his face. He took Iadarion's hands and led him to a chair, sitting him down very gently. "It is good to see you up and about, Iadarion," said Bingo. "I was quite concerned about you. Are you feeling better now?"

Iadarion attempted a smile and looked as though to say yes, but then he touched his head and shrugged a little. "I have a terrible headache," he said.

"Yes, I thought you might," said Bingo. "Just sit there and I'll get you a cup of tea. You just need to rest a little." He turned to the second newcomer and bowed slightly. "Bingo Cotton at your service," he said. "I am most honored to make your acquaintance, Miss Lily. Might I get you a cup of tea as well? And Toby? Would you like something? And Twylight... and - " an amused little smile came to his face " - before I begin naming all of you, might I ask if anyone desires something at the counter? I will gladly go fetch it for you."
Old 06-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #309
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
"Nice to meet you, Bingo," said Lily. "I don't need anything; I already have a cup of tea." Her head was whirling; everything had happened so fast. She decided that she rather liked each of the hobbits, even the grouchy one named Marcho, and the shy one, Posco, in particular caught her attention. Twylight seemed quite nice to Lily, and the fact that she was mute interested Lily quite a bit. Shortly after she had sat down a man in bright yellow boots and a green coat had sat down - Marcho had called him a drunkard. Lily had instantly felt an aversion to him, though she honestly couldn't say why. She was glad that he was across the table from her. There are some interesting people at the table, and no mistake! thought Lily.

Lily took a sip of tea. She was still smiling, if not so broadly. She really did enjoy meeting new people, and it seemed to her that an inn was just about the best place to do it.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:13 PM   #310
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye Thoronmir

"Do not overburden yourself so, Master Anson," Eodwine said. "I saw Lira fall to her death, and I doubt that there was anything you, or Gorby could do, short of calling one of the Great Eagles to drop out of the sky of a sudden, and they were far away. It was Lira's time. I wish I had known her."

"Actually," came a voice from behind them, "if you must blame someone, it would be me. I was the one who sent her up on the roof in the first place."

Eodwine and the others turned to see the familiar face of Thoronmir.

"Hello, Thoronmir!" Falco said. "I didn't think we'd be seeing you for a while."

"Well," the Ranger said, "I'm on my way to deliver a progress report on the rebuilding of Annuminas to Minas Tirith, and I thought I'd stop here along the way. I'll have to leave in a few days, so I'm lucky to have caught you. What have you all been up to these days?"
Old 06-14-2004, 11:47 AM   #311
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Twylight

Iadarion appeared around the corner, staggering slightly. As he got closer, Twylight noticed bags under his lidded eyes. Bingo helped him into the last empty chair, smiling broadly. The table now had quite a crowd around it: a very sour-looking Marcho, a still very shy-looking Posco, a beaming Bingo, a very nervous-looking Lily, a hung-over Iadarion, and her, Twylight. She supposed she was one of the more interesting characters at this table, herself, being mute. She wasn't sure she very much liked the idea.

"Bingo Cotton at your service," Bingo said, bowing to Lily. "I am most honored to make your acquaintance, Miss Lily. Might I get you a cup of tea as well? And Toby? Would you like something? And Twylight... and -" he smiled and shook his head slightly, "- before I begin naming all of you, might I ask if anyone desires something at the counter? I will gladly go fetch it for you." Twylight held up her hand and shook her head firmly.I'll stay a little longer, but to tell the truth, I'm probably going to turn in soon. It's been a long day. she wrote. I'll probably stay long enough to make sure Iadarion is all right. She held the note up to Bingo so no one else could see what was written, least of all Iadarion. Bingo nodded slightly to show that he understood, and jogged off to the counter.

So, Iadarion, how do you feel? Besides your headache of course. Are you planning to stay the night? I can help you arrange a room if you'd like.

With one last flourish, she pushed the note in front of Iadarion's place at the scarred table.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:53 AM   #312
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

NOTE: Durelin's game is now filled.

Thanks for your participation!

~*~ Pio
Old 06-14-2004, 01:36 PM   #313
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Boots

Iadarion was overwhelmed by this jolly little hobbit who called himself Bingo Cotton. He wished all folk were as caring and trusting as this one. As he gazed around the table he was brought back to reality as one of the hobbits, Marcho, was giving him a nasty look. Every hobbit in the Inn besides Bingo shared the same feelings, and also showed them outwardly.

Iadarion was feeling too under the weather to pay any heed to the snickering. That's when he looked up and realized he had missed a hobbit, one who eventually (and I use "eventually" lightly) squeaked out his name to be Posco. Well already this table was full of colorful characters, and for once it seemed too much for Iadarion to handle!

Across the table from him he noticed a lady they called Lily. She seemed very nervous in Iadarion's presence, and he was far too exhausted to inquire as to why. His spirits suddenly rose though, as he saw his friend Twylight pushing the paper towards him.

So, Iadarion, how do you feel? Besides your headache of course. Are you planning to stay the night? I can help you arrange a room if you'd like.

He smiled at her, but wasn't listening. She pointed to it again.

"Oh no worries, I just slept for a little while! Let's get another round!"

Twylight grabbed his arm as Iadarion went to call over a server. This man turned out to be somewhat of a drunk it seemed, which gave Twylight a laugh thinking to herself if he got it from his father.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:12 PM   #314
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Bingo returned to the table with tea for all who had requested it, and he placed one of these cups in Iadarion's hand, smiling kindly. "Here, sir," he said. "Please do drink this tea. It will make you feel a bit better, I think." And then he sat down next to Iadarion with his own cup of tea and appeared as though to begin conversation when he was interrupted.

The interruption was by Posco. He had been sitting quietly and shyly in his chair, looking at the newcomers with no little curiosity, and this curiosity had grown and grown until it overcame his shyness and, staring at Twylight, he blurted out, "What are you? I do mean, you are one of the Big Folk, that much is obvious, but are you a Man or are you... are you an Elf?" He was blushing furiously but now his eyes were wide with a sort of panic to finish what he was saying whether it cost him his life or no. He turned to Iadarion. "And what race are you?" He turned to Lily. "And what race are you?" He turned to Marcho. "And what race are you?" He stopped, stared in panicked confusion, and then sunk deep into his chair, staring miserably into his tea.

Marcho stood abruptly to his feet. "Interesting and very good questions," he said. "If we are all to become friends perhaps we might as well know. As you can see Bingo, Posco, and I are Hobbits. What are you? Now excuse me." He hurried to the counter where no one could see him and laughed until he felt near to choking. He would never, never in all his life, forget the expression on Posco's face when he had turned to him and cried, "What race are you?"
Old 06-14-2004, 06:07 PM   #315
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Soronume stood once more looking upon the Green Dragon. He was not a stranger to the Inn. Indeed, it had been a very long time since he had last stepped foot inside the inn, but he could still remember its warmth and the friends he had made long ago.

A personal quest had taken Soronume far from the safety of the inn, and it had occupied some months of his time, so he was greatly looking forward to seeing it again. He rather hoped that there would be some familiar faces in there, and that they were not too offended at his sudden departure without a word but rather glad of his safe return, though his jouney had not left him unscathed.

Soronume looked the same as always, his journey hadn't changed his appearance a great deal. His dark hair which covered his face in shadows, his dark eyes that could tell a tale of their own. He himself was covered with a little dirt but nothing a bit of fresh water couldn't ammend. The cut to his forearm had all but healed and just the dried blood remained. His bruisng, luckily, was covered by his cloak.

His apparel showed signs of more wear than before but then that was to be expected. His tunic, surprisingly was intact; it's deep green colour a little soiled but the colour still apparent in certain lights. The belt from which his small sword in its elaborate scabbard hung was a little lower than usual, but it could be fixed in the correct, skilled hands. His quiver and bow remained the same as ever.

His legs were covered in a dark coloured garment that was also soiled of late, and his boots showed signs of considerable wear. His cloak however, that would surely show his travels in great detail; not only was it soiled so that it's original colour inconcievable, it was frayed and worn, and a rather large tear graced the left side that reached some 8 inches or so in length.

Never-the-less, Soronume was not afraid to enter the inn despite his rugged appearance. He knew the inn was welcoming and quite used to characters such as himself. Even those which carried such an heir of mystery about them. He walked forward and pushed aside the door, apparently unoticed. Still cloaked and hooded, as usual, he took seat near the bar...
Old 06-14-2004, 06:22 PM   #316
Faragorn
Newly Deceased

Faragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien A Stranger Enters

The old run-down wooden door of the Green Dragon Inn swung open. Candle flames slowly dimmed as wind rushed passed them, then slowly brightened once more. A stranger to the Inn stood in the doorway with his long silver cloak which had an enormous hood that devoured his face. People stared as he entered the room. The mystery to what was under that cloak made people impatient, not knowing what to expect.

He slowly walked down to a very small cherrywood table in the corner. His hands raised to lower the hood of his cloak revealing a mans face – silver long hair reached to his shoulders and eyes blue like no others. No one had ever seen him before, yet some had the utmost strange feeling. Something about him was familiar.

The waitress came over. “Ey, May I offer yeh a drink…uhhh…excuse me, but what is your name again?”. The room became silent as he spoke with his low, booming voice. “It’s Faragorn.” She nodded and once again offered him a drink. He accepted with gratitude.

Last edited by Faragorn; 06-14-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:09 PM   #317
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

1420! Party of Seven

The three hobbits Falco, Gorby, and Anson, as well as the humans Eodwine and Finëwen, having finished their meal and summed up their doings in the Hills of Evendim, retired to the fireplace with their mugs of ale, and pipes.

"Friends," said Eodwine, puffing on his pipe, "good old southfarthing can't be beat, and thank you for introducing me to such a wonderful pastime." The three hobbits nodded 'your welcomes', puffing on their own pipes, sending voluminous rings up to the ceiling. "But right now I do miss my harp. I shall have to find me a new one. Somewhere. I'm afraid it will have to wait until Edoras where there is a good craftsman in stringed instruments. Ah well."

"Maybe," said Gorby, "there's a harp to be found in this inn. And a pipe too!"

"You're puffing on one, silly," Anson grinned.

"No no no! I mean what you can blow tunes out of!" Gorby cuffed Anson one.
Falowik took his leave of Master Jean Peddlar and Peony, and walked up to the bar where Uien still helped Aman with the constant rush of customers. He asked her for that walk they had talked about, and she excused herself. Falowik and Uien walked out the front door, into the closing day.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:53 PM   #318
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Boots

Iadarion was very happy to receive tea from the nice hobbit, and it mended the pain form his hang over a bit.

He was caught off guard though all of a sudden when the shy hobbit Posco spoke and asked of his race.

"Oh, ho! come now!" Iadarion seemed to act as himself again, as if the question intrigued him to the point of forgetting his pains. "Many a time has the question been asked of my father, and many a time has he laughed and turned away. He was, or is, or never was and never is! A riddle my father will remain, but myself I know from where I came! I am the son of the trees and the river, the daughter! They named me Iadarion- the son of the father!"

It was most definitely apparent at that point, if not so before, that Iar was a queer thing indeed.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:11 AM   #319
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Alwin sat down in the chair opposite Sarin, thanking him for the ale. He pulled out his own clay pipe and tamped in a goodly pinch of pipe weed. Jack had hopped down from the chair he’d perched on and ran to get a lit straw for his grandfather to light his pipe.

‘We’re bound for Bree, to stay at the Prancing Pony for a bit. I made some good friends there when last I passed through. Then it’s on east to Rivendell, we are hoping. The Elves for the most part have gone from The Last Homely House, there, but there are one or two or so left, I think. And the great library still stands, or so I have heard, and there are still some scrolls and books to poke through.

‘Grandfather is looking for music,’ piped up Jack, wanting to join in the conversation. ‘He plays the harp . . . and sings, too.’

They were in the midst of a pleasant conversation, when the door to the Inn opened twice, and two strangers entered, one following on the heels of the other. The first a rugged looking man. Dark haired, his face in shadows. Green tunic over darker breeches, well worn boots, a ragged cloak. A blade hung at his belt, and he bore a bow and quiver. He seemed at ease in the Inn, despite his worn appearance. Cloak keeping the prying eyes of the others from cataloguing his features too closely, the man took a seat at the bar.

The second man, too, brought with him a certain air of mystery. His cloak was silver, and it shimmered in the lights of the lamps as he walked toward one of the Inn tables and sat down. His hair, too, was of a silvery nature, and his eyes were a captivating blue. They saw him speak for a brief moment with one of the servers, but could not catch his name clearly.

Buttercup came by with a pitcher of fresh ale and filled Sarin’s and Alwin’s mugs. For Jack, she had brought a cup of chilled cider. ‘Lot of Big Folk in the Inn tonight,’ she observed looking also at the latest arrivals. She smiled prettily at Alwin, then, and told him it would be only a little while until she had time to get their room in order.

‘No hurry,’ he assured her, pointing his pipe toward the Sarin and then tapping the bowl of it lightly against his foaming mug. I’ve an interesting companion to talk to, a pipeful of weed, and the finest ale in the Westfarthing.’ Not to mention,’ he said winking at her, ‘the pretty lasses who work at the Inn and the most interesting people who enter it.’
Old 06-15-2004, 03:13 AM   #320
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

GREEN DRAGON INN FACTS:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is:
Aman – a young woman from Rohan.

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff from Bywater and Postmaster for this area of the Shire; his pony’s name is Dumpling.

Fredgar Hornblower – local Shiriff from Hobbiton – played by Fool of a Took

Please Note:

No 'SAVES' are allowed in the Inn (except for modifications needed to be made by the Moderators or Innkeeper).

With the exception of the Innkeeper and the Moderators, no OOC (Out Of Character) comments are allowed in the Inn.

Only the Innkeeper, Amanaduial, or the Moderators move the timeline for the Inn forward.

Visitors to the Inn will need to read the posts that come before theirs to get an idea of what time it is in the Shire, what the weather is like, and what is happening.

No violence is allowed in the Inn or on Inn grounds.

Please be familiar with the rules for the Inn and Games in The Red Book of Westmarch, the first topic in the Shire.