Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #561
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Athwen has the ability to ride almost as well as her husband (she beat him in a race once, when they were younger ) - not fighting, of course - but if you need someone to simply do interesting and wild horse maneauvers, perhaps to lead the slaver's on, Athwen can do it.

Otherwise, she won't be doing anythng besides staying back and helping the wounded and hurt.

-- Folwren
Old 11-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #562
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I think there are a lot of good ideas here.

Hilde - The stones in the blanket are a nice touch. They are heavy enough to fly true even with the winds.

Brinniel - Your point about the bow and arrow is a good one. My guess is that some of the "older" runaways would already have made a bow for purposes of catching game, if nothing else. They can certainly be used as weapons, and the skills and extra weapons can be given to the newcomers. You'll probably need to get in very close, however. With the winds blowing so hard just as the attackers come in range of the camp, there is a possibility of arrows going far astray. The advantage of the winds and sand is that the slavers will be hard pressed to see you, especially since they won't be wearing any protective covering. You might want to consider taking shelter behind some boulders and keeping your heads down, then darting in very close to shoot as the slavers come roaring by you.

Nogrod, Folwren -- This sounds good too. I'd love to see both Folwren and Dorran part of an "advance" horse guard. I especially like the idea of using this advance guard to spook the other horses and run some of them off. Any character who can sit a horse is welcome to borrow a horse and join. (We have enough horses between us, and I doubt that characters like Carl or Vror will want to fight on horseback!) Of course, if Dorran or someone wants to finish up with a blade to the rider they are chsing that is fine too!

Because of what Rog and Aiwendil are doing out on the plain, some of the slavers' horses will aready be running away and/or partly spooked. This will only be a small number, however, so further help in this department when the slavers actually reach the outskirts of camp would be good.

I think there is one thing we are all going to have to be careful about. We have 24 or so slavers so we should probably resist the urge to take out 6 at a time! Rather than describing large numbers hitting the dust at once, we will probably need to have the focus be the single individual and the particular enemy he/she is facing.

Regin and other orcs---

I know I haven't posted as an orc in a long time. I'm sorry, but I will get up something for Makdush. And now that the three groups are coming together, I expect to be doing a number of orc posts. It would be good if we could have some other orcs post in that scene as well as the later episode in the slaver camp.

The general idea is to have the main body of orcs be slightly (totally?) soused by the late night when the freed slaves triumphantly arrive to take over the slavers' camps. That is when the confrontation of the three groups will finally occur! (YAY!)

Regin came up with this, and I think it is a good idea. There is a basic problem here in terms of that first meeting. The natural instinct of the slaves would be to try and kill an orc if he/she was pillaging and stealing, which is what the orcs are doing in the camp. But it is a lot harder to kill someone if they are tipsy and not able to stand up straight. You have a choice...you can kill an orc who isn't capable of fighting back, or you can stay your hand and see what happens.

At the same time, we need one or more sober (or semisober) orcs who can make a plea for mercy to the followship and the slaves for their fellow orcs....explain how the group plans to settle in the foothills of the northern mountain and how they ran off rather than fight in the war against the Easterlings.

Maybe one or more of the female orcs could do that? In Morgoth's Ring, Tokien once said that, in the entire history of Arda, an orc had never made a plea for mercy, but if they should happen the free peoples of Arda would be obligated to take the plea seriously. We're going to take Tolkien at his word and see what happens....

I know we're still a ways from those scenes but I wanted to give you an idea which way this is leading. I have a feeling that different characters will respond to the orcs/slaves in different ways. It will presumably strain the unity of the group.....in fact probably both groups! It won't be easy for either side to forgive or at least to learn and live with the situation. In the end however mercy will gain the upper hand. (It better or the game will be over a lot quicker than we had planned! )

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-03-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #563
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Just as a note: Carl I believe has a pony, and Vror has nothing in the way of a mount.

Love all the ideas!

And yes, finally we get to meet up with the orcs! Shall be more than a little interesting!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #564
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
Nogrod, Folwren -- This sounds good too. I'd love to see both Folwren and Dorran part of an "advance" horse guard. I especially like the idea of using this advance guard to spook the other horses and run some of them off. Any character who can sit a horse is welcome to borrow a horse and join. (We have enough horses between us, and I doubt that characters like Carl or Vror will want to fight on horseback!) Of course, if Dorran or someone wants to finish up with a blade to the rider they are chsing that is fine too!
We should deliberate on this... An advance horse guard is a possibility. It might distract the actual attack by drawing some of the attackers after them (and creating suspense among the slavers about possible other mounted escapees to be met).

But what I had in mind was that our riders would stay hidden until the crucial moment when they could flank the attacking force - f.ex. when the first of the slavers hit the tunnels and are unmounted and the first burst of arrows, sling-pebbles etc. have rained upon them, ideally at the same time. In that confusion (the rest of the slavers trying to hold their horses and trying to adjust to the new situation) a mounted attack with even just six riders could do a lot of damage and create even more confusion and even panic.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #565
Child of the 7th Age

Nogrod -- I am definitely open to mulling over ideas on this one. One of my concerns is that we get to take advantage of Folwren's fine skills as a writer by having her character involved in the battle in some meaningful way. This seemed like a good way to do it, since the general theme of confusing the slavers is central to our plot.

If we go with a traditional mounted attack, it would be less likely that Folwren would participate. Can we do both? Or should we do one tactic or the other? Anyone else have any opinions here?

Durelin - You're definitely right about the horses. But I remembered we still have two free mounts. Aiwendil and Rog are on foot.

Actually, I cheated.... .... Rog was on foot and I edited my post to free up Aiwendil's horse. Still, they are both in walking distance of the camp.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #566
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, whether an advance horse guard or a mounted attack is used, Shae can volunteer to be a rider. Though Shae isn't an experienced rider, she won her own mount from her kill the previous night, and got a fair share of riding to the Fellowship and back to her camp. While Shae may not be any expert rider, as are Dorran and Athwen, she learned much from her experiences on horseback last night, and because of that she might even know more about riding than many of her fellow ex-slaves. Especially since most of them have been slaves their entire lives and have never even been on horseback before....

Quote:
My guess is that some of the "older" runaways would already have made a bow for purposes of catching game, if nothing else. They can certainly be used as weapons, and the skills and extra weapons can be given to the newcomers. You'll probably need to get in very close, however. With the winds blowing so hard just as the attackers come in range of the camp, there is a possibility of arrows going far astray. The advantage of the winds and sand is that the slavers will be hard pressed to see you, especially since they won't be wearing any protective covering. You might want to consider taking shelter behind some boulders and keeping your heads down, then darting in very close to shoot as the slavers come roaring by you.
Yes, I think that could work. We would need a lead archer if such an attack were to be made- maybe one of the "older" ex-slaves. Who would be skilled with a bow? Maybe Beloan? That could give him another opportunity to take a leadership role...
Old 11-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #567
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
A suggestion

How about the following?

Beloan might be the leader of the archers - here I'll stick with Brinniel. That's a good idea. He might take the leadership there, and on concrete game-terms anyone of us could use him the way s/he wishes as he's a non-player character.

Feel free everyone to recruit to the ranged attack party. A couple of bows and a bit more slings are available. Maybe the gang should be divided in two, half of the people to the other side of the place we think the slavers will ride through and the other half to the other side, hopefully with a little height advantage (let's say slow hills from between which we wish to lure the slavers to ride).

How about the next one? Athwen could be riding boldly to meet the slavers and act like being surprised and make a run away from them towards the camp - thus luring the slavers to follow her. There should be a fake camp with fires burning in the direction Athwen is riding towards so that the slavers would happily follow her. Then, as she would know the exact location of the tunnel-trap, she would let the slavers come near enough her and in the last moment she would make her horse to jump over the trap and the slavers would have no time to react and the first row of them would fall into the tunnel (their horses stumbling and their riders cast off from them). Then there could be a rain of arrows and pebbles from both sides of the slavers who would be confused enough as the leading row has just stumbled in a flash. And before they could rearrange themselves, the party of 5-6 riders would attack them from the flank, galloping through them and causing a maximum damage. Surely a gang of foot soldiers would have been part of the "fake-camp" and would spring to their feet the moment Athwen comes over the tunnel-trap and they would be the ones trying to bring down the unmounted slavers... Hadith could be one of those, maybe one of the the leaders of that party - alongside Khamir and Vrór?

So who would be riding and how many horses we do have? Dorran surely and Athwen if you buy my plan, and Shae as Brinniel said. But that still leaves something like four horses to be used (if we have one or two captured ones from the last attack). I propose Joshwan to be one of the riders, the others might be some of us writers characters here or then unnamed veteran escapees. That ok.?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #568
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, I thought the fake camp idea would be a good one, but I quite forgot about the horses. I think, if Athwen was up to it, that having her lead the slavers in would be marvellous.

Beloan as leader of the archers sounds great, too.

Quote:
Hadith could be one of those, maybe one of the the leaders of that party - alongside Khamir and Vrór?
Alongside Khamir sounds good. I have another plan for Vrór, I think.

Quote:
I propose Joshwan to be one of the riders, the others might be some of us writers characters here or then unnamed veteran escapees. That ok.?
Definitely! Keep using those cool NPCs that have gotten so much char. development.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #569
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child
I think there is one thing we are all going to have to be careful about. We have 24 or so slavers so we should probably resist the urge to take out 6 at a time! Rather than describing large numbers hitting the dust at once, we will probably need to have the focus be the single individual and the particular enemy he/she is facing.
I agree to the fullest!

Let's not play the baffling heroes but let us also describe the misjudgements and unlucky strikes of our characters too. And the actual situations where our people are just outwitted or overcome by the enemy...

The enemy has 24 (?) battle-hardened riders, we have one to match them (Dorran) and some nearing that status (Beloan, Joshwan, maybe one or two more -and a few to rise to the occasion, maybe?). Still we are outnumbered on count of staunch warriors by 1:5 or something. For a commoner to bring down a soldier is more than a feat! So let us make this not too easy! (Well, we have to win anyhow, but still, let's not make it without a cost or with incredible heroism)
Old 11-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #570
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
So let us make this not too easy! (Well, we have to win anyhow, but still, let's not make it without a cost or with incredible heroism)
Yep, and I can pretty much guaruntee you that, personally, I'm going to kill someone off...
Old 11-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #571
Child of the 7th Age

Quote:
Yep, and I can pretty much guaruntee you that, personally, I'm going to kill someone off...
Oh my goodness, Durelin. Don't do anything drastic. We have lots of NPC to dispose of on the side of the good guys.....

Quote:
Athwen could be riding boldly to meet the slavers and act like being surprised and make a run away from them towards the camp - thus luring the slavers to follow her.
Good ideas! I really like the decoy on horseback catching the eye of the slavers and leading them on a merry chase that heads straight towards the hidden trenches/tunnels and our waiting cavalry who attack from the flank. I can also imagine the foot soldiers lying in wait and springing out once some of the slavers have been knocked off their horses.

One problem I see is the burning fires. Durelin and I had agreed that there would be a little wind/sand storm blowing in to complicate the battle and to let Rôg and Aiwendil do their mischief to help even the odds: here. Well, that may be a bit of an exaggeration. It won't be that bad, but you get my drift. We would have a hard time keeping any fires lit.

Actually, with a storm swirling around, the slavers won't expect to see fires lit. I am wondering if we couldn't use our own real camp rather than constructing a "fake", The people who need to take refuge will already have been led to the safety of the knoll with the sheltering boulders as Lindir described. We could set the stage in our own camp by making it look "occupied". If we just leave some "stuff" on the ground....a few tents, bedrolls, garbage from dinner, the glowing embers of the now extinguished firepits, a goat or two running underfoot, even some dummy figures clad in robes and filled out with hay if we want to get fancy, it will look as if we're still there at least from a distance. Visbility is going to be quite bad.

We need Tevildo and Folwren to weigh in on these suggestions before we take this too much further. Since Folwren's poster and character both have a lot of experience with horses, she would be the logical one to play this part, but we have to see if she would like to do it. I hope so. I have to admit that the slavwers would be more likely to follow an attractive woman, seemingly unarmed, with hair flying out in back of her, rather than a battle hardened man.

Also, Dorran as the leader of the cavalry makes a lot of sense if he would do this.

I'd like to use Lindir with the archers. He has a fair amount of experience on his resume ( )---several thousand years of fighting with the Noldor, including most of the major battles of the First Age.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-03-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:54 PM   #572
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
How about the next one? Athwen could be riding boldly to meet the slavers and act like being surprised and make a run away from them towards the camp - thus luring the slavers to follow her. There should be a fake camp with fires burning in the direction Athwen is riding towards so that the slavers would happily follow her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
How about the next one? Athwen could be riding boldly to meet the slavers and act like being surprised and make a run away from them towards the camp - thus luring the slavers to follow her. There should be a fake camp with fires burning in the direction Athwen is riding towards so that the slavers would happily follow her.
Good thus far, yes...

Quote:
Then, as she would know the exact location of the tunnel-trap, she would let the slavers come near enough her and in the last moment she would make her horse to jump over the trap and the slavers would have no time to react and the first row of them would fall into the tunnel (their horses stumbling and their riders cast off from them).
But here there is a problem. I thought of her jumping the tunnel myself, once, but realized that a horse won't jump unless there is something to jump over. They just won't, so far as I know. You might give a cue to jump, or you might be able to approach a jump just right, but a horse won't jump unless there's something there.

I thought about it and perhaps, if, as you said, Athwen knows just where the tunnel is, she can stop just before she reaches it, turn her horse around, wait until the slavers are very, very near, and then charge right through the center of them. Then, if they hadn't slackened their pace, they won't turn about and will charge right into the trap. That sounds unlikely, though...

Here are the problems with it...
  • She might have to ride too dangerously close to one of the men and get herself wounded
  • They might have bows and arrows that they know how to use on horse back (we could always say they didn't) in which case, any person riding before them to lead them on would be in danger of being shot...but even if they do have bows, we can still risk it.
  • They might just be able to get a hint of her trick and pull their horses about before they reach the tunnel....
  • And I'm sure there are more.

Quote:
Then there could be a rain of arrows and pebbles from both sides of the slavers who would be confused enough as the leading row has just stumbled in a flash. And before they could rearrange themselves, the party of 5-6 riders would attack them from the flank, galloping through them and causing a maximum damage. Surely a gang of foot soldiers would have been part of the "fake-camp" and would spring to their feet the moment Athwen comes over the tunnel-trap and they would be the ones trying to bring down the unmounted slavers... Hadith could be one of those, maybe one of the the leaders of that party - alongside Khamir and Vrór?
And this rest looks good. The only problem, as I said, was making the horse leap the tunnel. . .

-- Folwren
Old 11-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #573
Child of the 7th Age

Quote:
We need Tevildo and Folwren to weigh in on these suggestions before we take this too much further.
Yeah! Half of our equation is here.

Folwren --

Hmm..... I doubt they would be trying to shoot you. In fact, Imak can give a strict order not to do this. Perhaps he announces that he wants to have the woman taken alive and unharmed, and will give a reward to whoever can do this. This should give the men plenty of incentive to follow close on her heels. So you likely won't be killed by an arrow or sword.

The question is would some of the slavers catch on and pull back their horses and try to follow Athwen instead of surging straight ahead and falling in the tunnel. If you wanted, you could actually incorporate this into your story line. Could you swerve right or left, and have one to two follow you as you ride out? You'd have to figure out how to deal with these riders..... Maybe coordinate with Tevildo and have him come rushing up to fight the brutes? Or figure out some way to "lose" them? The rest of the slavers would continue straight ahead.

Would this work???

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-03-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:47 PM   #574
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alright, here I am....with a little bit of time under by belt. Yehaw.

Quote:
Since Folwren's poster and character both have a lot of experience with horses, she would be the logical one to play this part, but we have to see if she would like to do it. I hope so.
Thank you, yes, I am quite willing to do it. It's something quite exciting and I think Athwen will be willing to do it, too.

Quote:
I have to admit that the slavers would be more likely to follow an attractive woman, seemingly unarmed, with hair flying out in back of her, rather than a battle hardened man.
I think the thoughts in their heads would be more a bad thing than a good thing, but yes, you're probably right.

Quote:
Hmm..... I doubt they would be trying to shoot you. In fact, Imak can give a strict order not to do this. Perhaps he announces that he wants to have the woman taken alive and unharmed, and will give a reward to whoever can do this. This should give the men plenty of incentive to follow close on her heels. So you likely won't be killed by an arrow or sword.
This would definitely be a convenient thing. That was the most that I was worried about. But how will the plan makers (Dorran particularly) guess or expect this? It's not so difficult talking myself into letting Athwen decide to do it, but I can't speak for Tevildo, or what Dorran will think about sending his wife into such a possition.

Quote:
The question is would some of the slavers catch on and pull back their horses and try to follow Athwen instead of surging straight ahead and falling in the tunnel.
If Athwen allowed them to pretty much catch up to her, until they were on her very heels, and pulled up suddenly directly before the tunnel, they couldn't stop their horses in time if they tried. I'm sure that if this happened, someone would end up colliding with her and she'd make a wreck to help with the havoc. It's a dangerous business stopping your horse at the head of a race, but it's liveable, if you're lucky.

Another thing I just realized though was if a horse gets excited and is running as fast as he would be with other horses behind him, he doesn't always stop when asked. It was just today that a horse took off with me and I couldn't stop him for the life of me. I had to bale off.....If Athwen's horse doesn't stop, she'll fall in the tunnel, or swerve...in which case....

Quote:
Could you swerve right or left, and have one to two follow you as you ride out? You'd have to figure out how to deal with these riders..... Maybe coordinate with Tevildo and have him come rushing up to fight the brutes? Or figure out some way to "lose" them? The rest of the slavers would continue straight ahead.
She could turn and run parrallel to the tunneling. I would figure out some way to either lose them or have her knight in shining armor come rescue her. Or I could simply go galloping to where the ex-slaves fighters are. They'd open ranks, allow her in, and shoot down or try to kill and stop the slavers chasing her. Then she'll hop off her horse and go wait for the wounded to come to be tended.

So, what do you think? Does she stop her horse and the slavers charge past her?

Does her horse not stop and she actually fall into the pit?

Or does she turn and get chased some?

If she is chased, my only other worry is that if some slavers could follow her on that turn, all of them could. BUT, if they see the slaves in front of them, maybe only two or three will follow her, the others will make a charge towards them and then fall plump into the tunnel.

And I think that's all I can think of right now..........if I do end up thinking of any more, or if any of you see any holes in my ideas or have more questions, I can always say more and do more thinking.

-- Folwren
Old 11-03-2006, 10:54 PM   #575
Child of the 7th Age

Quote:
So, what do you think? Does she stop her horse and the slavers charge past her?

Does her horse not stop and she actually fall into the pit?

Or does she turn and get chased some?
Folwren,

I like surprises. No kidding, I think we need to plan but not "overplan". Do whatever feels right and the rest of the characters will respond accordingly. Whatever happens, I'm sure Dorran and other fellowship members or freedmen will hurry to help you out.

I do have a suggestion for dealing with Dorran in the story (assuming that Tevildo likes this general plotline). I could easily do a post where Lindir is worried about the logistics of things. Obviously the tunnels or trenches we're building are "small". We can't possibly build trenches all the way around the camp, since we don't have enough time. We don't know the exact angle that the slavers will come in at. It is possible that they could go in a totally different direction. and miss the trenches entirely. The slavers might even decide to skirt around the camp and attack from the rear. There they would discover the sheltered enclave of unarmed women and children, which would be a disaster.

One way around this is to use a decoy or sitting duck to attract the slavers to go in the "right" direction. Because of her skill in riding, Athwen is the obvious candidate. There is also the fact that Imak will go running after an attractive unarmed woman more quickly than he would follow a grim warrior.

I can do a post for Lindir where he talks to you alone, or to you and Dorran together. I think it would work best if Lindir was talking to Dorran and the two men were worrying about the kinds of possibilities I've listed above. You would be within earshot of the conversaton. Slowly, they come to the realization that someone needs to go out there and try to lead the slavers towards the trenches. Yet they are reluctant to commit anyone to such a dangerous role. At this point, Athwen could come forward and "volunteer" (and then Dorran will probably faint).

Do you think this would work?

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-03-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:45 AM   #576
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I know that we don't want to overplan, but I have a thought that might work. Folwren , would a horse jump a trench? If so perhaps Athwen could jump the trench in an area were there was a break in the tunneling, marked for her of course. The mark could be something as unassuming as garment left crumpled on the ground. If the pursuers were fairly close on her heels they would not have time to realize that there was a certain safe place to jump.

The only problem with this is how would Vror know to make a break in the tunnel? Well one thought is that as the tunnel got longer perhaps some poor soul stepped in the wrong place and collapsed it? It could be filled in again with earth from the trenching but not be suitable for tunneling through.

Carl's pony is certainly up for any character to borrow, as the hobbit will be among the archers.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #577
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Child, you're right. I shouldn't try to overplan. So sorry. What you said in your post above will work for talking Dorran and Athwen into it, I should imagine. But, Tevildo, of course, will have the last word in how Dorran reacts.

Hilde, I think your suggestion makes sense. I have to leave now for town, but later this afternoon I will be back and by the time it's time for the posts to be written about this, I will have decided what to do. If it takes other people writing more, I'll be sure to let you know in advance, of course.

-- Folwren
Old 11-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #578
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Folwren and everyone,

This looks good. I'd love to have Dorran fight on horseback. I also like the idea of Lindir and Dorran realizing the group's best chance lies with sending out an enticing figure who would lead the slavers to the trench.

Folwren -- Any way you handle the details is fine with me.

I do have a few requests. I'd rather have Lindir come up with the plan. I would agree but wonder who could possibly do such a dangerous thing. In fact, Child could use my character for that purpose in her post. After Athwen offers to ride out, I'd like to respond for Dorran. I'll probably consider many serious objections but in the end give Athwen my blessing and a promise to keep a close eye on her.
Would this work, Folwren and Child?
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #579
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Sounds excellent, Tevildo. I am very glad that you are going to write a response for Dorran.

Remember, as you write your many serious objections, Athwen is submissive and won't go against Dorran, but wait patiently for his word and permission. So just write whatever you want, so long as it fits.

So, our first step towards this is Lindir approaching Dorran with the question of how to get the Slavers where we need them, correct?

Looking forward to this!

-- Folwren
Old 11-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #580
Child of the 7th Age

This sounds good. I am tied up for the rest of the day so won't get online till very late tonight or Monday. I'll work on a post for Aiwendil first and afterwards have Lindir approach Dorran with his idea about a decoy.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #581
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Oh my goodness, Durelin. Don't do anything drastic. We have lots of NPC to dispose of on the side of the good guys.....
Hehe, I promise I won't do anything drastic. And really, I was thinking more along the lines of NPCs...though perhaps maybe poor Adnan will bite the dust. It all depends on how I feel!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #582
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Just to inform you.

My last post with Hadith and Johari is a co-written one (thanks Firefoot again, it was fun!). Firefoot may take it further in the days coming by as I will have a few really busy days (RL) ahead...
Old 11-07-2006, 06:16 PM   #583
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I am to write the next post, am I not? Just let me know. In the mean time, I'll be preparing it.

-- Folwren
Old 11-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #584
Child of the 7th Age

Yes. When you approach Lindir to volunteer, you are welcome to use my character if that fits into your post. I think the elf will be extremely grateful that you have made this offer but will not say "yes" to the offer until Dorran has had a chance to respond.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:34 AM   #585
Child of the 7th Age

My save for Aiwendil is filled.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:39 PM   #586
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

That was great fun, Firefoot! I loved it! I try to answer something as soon as I have time...
Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 AM   #587
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
SAVE filled . . . slavers delayed . . .

~*~ Pio
Old 11-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #588
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I am leaving shortly and will not be back until Sunday. Carry on as necessary without me til then.

-- Folwren
Old 11-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #589
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Folwren,

I put up a new post because I erased my save by mistake.

Please look at how I've handled this. I wasn't sure if you wanted to respond. If you want to say anything, I can edit the end of my post. Just let me know.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #590
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Durelin: I really liked you post with Khamir but you said he was going to consult Beloan who was instructing the archers as I had said in Hadith's post earlier that Hadith was going to the planning of the foot soldiers led by Beloan and Joshwan...

I thought that because those of the fellowship seemed to be more ranged attackers than melee-guys. That's why I thought Beloan would be needed in that counseling of the foot soldiers (who would in the end bear the worst brunt of the attack and have to involve themselves with the attack man to man).

I might change my post or you should change yours: Beloan can't be in two places at the same time?

Which one seems more plausible to you?
Old 11-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #591
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Regin: I hope my post was near to what you thought of... If I have made something wrong, please inform me.

Now you have the tent open... If you do not write anything in a few days, I'll be going forwards with it, but surely it's now your turn.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #592
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Ah, sorry Nogrod. I remember we mentioned briefly on the Discussion Thread that Beloan might lead the archers, and I neglected thinking about what I had read elsewhere.

I imagined the ex-slaves as more likely to be skilled with bows than with any swords, as they would be focused on survival, and thus using bows to kill prey. But I imagine plenty of them have knives...it's just that knives against what the slavers have seems like it wouldn't work.

Really, either one works, though. They aren't all necessarily going to be able to use bows. Beloan can lead a melee group and someone else could lead the archers, or the other way around...we just have to think of who...

I'll have to wait to edit my post till tomorrow, anyway. I just spend five hours in a room full of smoke and my head is not working properly (bingo at my school, as a fundraiser...all the old people show up and smoke the whole time). Sorry! Let me know what you think is best. If you want, just go with whatever is easier to edit. Most likely that will be my post.

Everyone else can share opinions if they'd like.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #593
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I'd like to use Lindir with the archers. He has a fair amount of experience on his resume ( )---several thousand years of fighting with the Noldor, including most of the major battles of the First Age.
Okay, I found it. I thought I had seen something like this somewhere. If Lindir leads (and teaches) the archers & slingers the others might be available?

But surely Khamir might be a good choice to lead the footsoldiers too?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #594
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Well I've been missing things left and right...Sorry!

Khamir isn't going to want to lead anyone, so Beloan is still definitely a good choice. Alrighty, I shall edit in that Beloan is in charge of a group of foot soldiers, and some other reason why Khamir doesn't want to talk to him.

Edit: Post edited! Sorry about that.

Last edited by Durelin; 11-12-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:19 PM   #595
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Edit: Post edited! Sorry about that.
No reason to be sorry about anything. This is quite wildly embarrassing to anyone and as one sees one corner another sees the next one...
Old 11-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #596
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay. What needs to be done now? The slavers are riding towards camp. . .how soon do they reach it? Where is the istari and Rog? When does my character need to get out there?

Tevildo, what you wrote was fine. I don't need to answer. Good job.

-- Folwren
Old 11-13-2006, 02:07 AM   #597
Child of the 7th Age

Thumbs up

Are we ready to go ahead? Does anyone need extra posts or time? Have I/we forgotten anything?

Folwren -- I think you could definitely ride into position.

If anyone needs to get up something before the battle, please do a post or save. Reagin says he'll try and do a post or two for the slavers but everyone is welcome to use them as needed. Please don't kill off my character Imak, since he is such an honorable chap. Also remember that the winds and sand will be blowing so take that into account in your posts.

My own access this week could be a little iffy. I have a spouse going for an operation and very brief hospitalization starting Tuesday and then he's recooperating at home for the rest of the week. Nothing terrible or earthshaking but I may be tied up more than usual.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-13-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:25 AM   #598
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
If I find the time, I might try to fit in a brief post for Shae sometime tomorrow. But if you go ahead and start the battle before I get the chance to write anything, I won't be terribly upset. What I want to write could actually fit into a post during the battle as well.

Child, I wish your husband luck on his surgery.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:00 AM   #599
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I'm also good to go.

Child, I hope that Tuesday and afterward goes well for both you and your Mister.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #600
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I'm ready to go, too.

My prayers are with you and your spouse!