The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2021, 04:25 AM   #10881
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I was going to make a joke about how #2 must be 'man houses', but, um... it's not HOUSES OF MEN (/HOUSES OF THE EDAIN), is it?

Which, actually, means #4 could be FIRSTBORN - elder, and almost EldAr.

New page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
1. Hang door trim on the chaotic peaks.
2. Male buildings, literally.
3. The bands sing right - or wrong.
4. Elder... yes, almost elder.
5. Bright welcome, both noted and unnoted, initially jinxes small tumbled wheels.
hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:27 AM   #10882
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I was wondering if the 'elder' one might begin with a word for a female elder ... NAN.

I think Huey's theory is probably more likely ....

Is 3 something to do with the AINUR / AINULINDALE?
Old 04-09-2021, 04:31 AM   #10883
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
I was wondering if the 'elder' one might begin with a word for a female elder ... NAN.
I mean, NAN ELMOTH is elder (nan) + a tree (elm), which is close to elder the tree. So it's plausible.

hS
Old 04-09-2021, 07:00 AM   #10884
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Correct on Men, and I'll give Eldar. No to the rest. For #3, it follows the classic cryptic clue format, so the straight clue is not "sings".

1. Hang door trim on the chaotic peaks.
2. HOUSES OF MEN: Male buildings, literally.
3. The bands sing right - or wrong.
4. ELDAR: Elder... yes, almost elder.
5. Bright welcome, both noted and unnoted, initially jinxes small tumbled wheels.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:02 AM   #10885
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The password isn't THREE, is it?
Old 04-09-2021, 07:55 AM   #10886
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
The password isn't THREE, is it?
You got it!

I also realized I forgot to put an element in the last clue. Fixed now.

1. T Hang door trim on the chaotic peaks.
3. R The bands sing right - or wrong.
5. E Bright welcome, both noted and unnoted, initially jinxes small tumbled wheels. Take the third.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #10887
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So ... apparently THANGORODRIM is a group of three volcanic mountains ...

and it's also an anagram of HANG DOOR TRIM!

3. Did they have RUBBER BANDS in Middle-earth? It's possible- - the stuff comes from trees!

Or REGGAE BANDS? Bet some of the Rangers liked them.

I'd guess RANGERS, but I'm not sure if there were three bands of them.

I wonder if one of the answers is to do with the three lines of succession in Arnor.

Hang on ... is 3 just RINGS? Bands of precious metal? Sings with R for right, or arguably spelt wrong?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 04-10-2021 at 02:30 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:02 PM   #10888
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

1. THANGORODRIM: Hang door trim on the chaotic peaks.
3. RINGS: The bands sing right - or wrong.
5. E Bright welcome, both noted and unnoted, initially jinxes small tumbled wheels. Take the third.

Rubber Bands of Middle-earth, touring your city next month! Come to the concert for the best metal music in town!
Old 04-09-2021, 01:35 PM   #10889
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Is it possible we should take the second, not the third? Because J(INXES) + W(H)EELS would give us JEWELS, for three Silmarils.

Or does it end in JEWELS, but there's something composed of a bright welcome in front of them?
Old 04-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #10890
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Is it possible we should take the second, not the third? Because J(INXES) + W(H)EELS would give us JEWELS, for three Silmarils.

Or does it end in JEWELS, but there's something composed of a bright welcome in front of them?
The second part is Jewels indeed, and you're right it's the Silmarils. But I thought "jewels" is a bit too general, and there is a more specific term.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:50 PM   #10891
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE GREAT JEWELS?

GREET for welcome, the note A added and one of the E notes taken away?
Old 04-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #10892
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Indeed!

1. THANGORODRIM: Hang door trim on the chaotic peaks.
3. RINGS: The bands sing right - or wrong.
5. GREAT JEWELS: Bright welcome, both noted and unnoted, initially jinxes small tumbled wheels. Take the third.

And back over to you!
Old 04-10-2021, 02:29 AM   #10893
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nice one, G55! And nice work from Huey, too - I would not have got 'THREE' without his deductions.

Just a little one this time. And THIS one is my 117th password - I miscounted when I posted the last one, or rather I wrote this one first but decided to let that one jump the queue.

1. Land under these in Berlin, we hear. (We hear, dear, intermingled!).
2. Thorin wore a sky-blue hood for it.
3. They’re pluralised, elvishly, and magical. And the answer needs to precede the password.
4. Ingratiate or schmooze, we hear? The fourth, and his jacket, are significant.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 04-10-2021 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:46 AM   #10894
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

Soriman the Whide has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Soriman the Whide
G55 thanks for reccomending an entertaining read Baobab puddings

Anyway I tried to see if I could come up with anything for number 3 to get us an extra early clue on the password, as long as the second half of the clue is not required to figure it out.
I'd like to guess at Ithryn since it is a near anagram of "They're", I am not too familliar with the elvish languages and i'm not sure if I am correct but i think that it could be correct to drop the E in place of an N.

Not surprised if this is way off the mark but I might as well have a shot in the dark.

Last edited by Soriman the Whide; 04-11-2021 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Soriman the Whide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:38 AM   #10895
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1. Land under these in Berlin, we hear. (We hear, dear, intermingled!)
ITHRYN: They’re pluralised, elvishly, and magical. And the answer needs to precede the password.
4. Ingratiate or schmooze, we hear? The fourth, and his jacket, are significant.

Perfectly correct.

Soriman, here's one of my less reverent ones, with the solutions in, exhibiiting my general maturity level. I have all my passwords stored in a Word document.This was my 70th one, although I didn't realise it at the time:

Though pedant proud this setter be,
To overload a clue, e’en she
Unwilling is, so therefore, peers,
For some of these, LOOK TO YOUR EARS! :-

SARN(IE) FORD: Crossing where people eat their butties – before that is lost.
FINGON: He’s a seafaring amputee! Ouch!
LAIQUENDI: These elves (and the lost boys) adore her.
THE FLOATING LOG: This pub has decidedly dodgy toilets.
YAMMER: Something you probably do if Rankin-Bass orcs are driving you.

CURUNIR: Wee dog loses direction, but prances and pivots until he’s found!
BAMFURLONG: Distance a horse can travel on its posterior? Vowel shift! Here it is!
TURGON: An unsung hero, because he evidently unblocked the toilet in Gondolin, even without being noted for it!
EARNIL: Dunno how this geezer keeps his specs on, or stops his helm falling over his nose!
SORONTO: Kanga’s baby’s bogies are projectile for him!
Old 04-11-2021, 07:09 AM   #10896
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

Oh wow I can't believe I was correct there, that clue was really quite clever. Well done, it works on so many levels but was difficult enough to make me doubt the answer.

Some of those clues from Password#70 are hilarious and evil. I'll have to go back to see how many people groaned at the answers .
Old 04-11-2021, 07:32 AM   #10897
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soriman the Whide View Post
Oh wow I can't believe I was correct there, that clue was really quite clever. Well done, it works on so many levels but was difficult enough to make me doubt the answer.

Some of those clues from Password#70 are hilarious and evil. I'll have to go back to see how many people groaned at the answers .
Huey groaned with horror, as I recall. Mainly at the toilet humour, (well, toilet-related stuff that I find humorous).
Old 04-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #10898
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Boots

4. FORN, which I suppose sounds like fawn in the right accent? Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow!

Quote:
Huey groaned with horror, as I recall. Mainly at the toilet humour, (well, toilet-related stuff that I find humorous).
I somehow have no memory of this at all. Did I not get any clues right, or was it so bad that I went amnesiac for the whole thing as a psychological defense?
Old 04-11-2021, 12:17 PM   #10899
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post

I somehow have no memory of this at all. Did I not get any clues right, or was it so bad that I went amnesiac for the whole thing as a psychological defense?
It's worth a little read through, i think Fingon is my favourite just because of how silly it is . Well done on Forn I had no chance there.

Last edited by Soriman the Whide; 04-11-2021 at 03:18 PM. Reason: changed stupid to silly
Old 04-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #10900
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ITHRYN: They’re pluralised, elvishly, and magical. And the answer needs to precede the password.
FORN: Ingratiate or schmooze, we hear? The fourth, and his jacket, are significant.

G55, you were probably very busy studying at the time of the 'Silly Clues' password.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:58 AM   #10901
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
[Hisses like Tevildo facing Huan]

Anyway, is #2 simply the eponymous UNEXPECTED PARTY?

hS
Old 04-12-2021, 02:06 AM   #10902
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

UNEXPECTED PARTY: Thorin wore a sky-blue hood for it.
FORN: Ingratiate or schmooze, we hear? The fourth, and his jacket, are significant.

It is.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #10903
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

All of the answers so far are characters that wear blue meaing the password is LUIN? The elvish for blue.

EDIT: I just read clue 3 again and my guess doesn't fit.
EDIT2: OH YES IT DOES!

Last edited by Soriman the Whide; 04-12-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #10904
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

L: Land under these in Berlin, we hear. (We hear, dear, intermingled!)

Pretty much correct. The theme is the colour blue. The ITHRYN LUIN are the two Blue Wizards.

The first answer is also something blue, but it doesn't refer to a piece of clothing or a person. The answer will seem not to be blue - but the bit in brackets will show why it is.

I'd work backwards, by thinking of something blue. (It's not the stone in Vilya).

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 04-12-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #10905
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

Yes I think I have some pretty good geographical entites to try make fit but i'll refrain from blind guessing.

Last edited by Soriman the Whide; 04-12-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #10906
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think blind guessing is permissible on this occasion, because to make the answer fit, and not completely give away the password, I referred to a more obscure name, which refers to the same things as the blue things but does not have 'blue' in it.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 04-12-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #10907
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

I have a hunch it's a river not sure which one has a name that fits, I became slightly discouraged and found it funny when I found I can spell Red Herring with "We hear, dear, intermingled".
Not sure if that is intentional but it's great.

I'll have some time to put some thought into this at the end of the day.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:42 PM   #10908
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It's not a river.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:28 PM   #10909
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I was toying around with Lindon, the land under the Ered Luin. You get the first half in Berlin, but not sure how the rest could fit.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:59 PM   #10910
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

LINDON (ERED): Land under these in Berlin, we hear. (We hear, dear, intermingled!)

Ered Lindon doesn't mean Blue Mountains, but it is sometimes used as an alternative name for the ERED LUIN, which does.

'Unter den Linden' - 'under the Lindens' - is a famous road in Berlin. I think I once referred to it in a clue before.

'Underneath the Lindens, somewhere over there
'Itler's in 'is bunker, tearing out 'is 'air!'

(Deer/Ered goes in brackets afterwards - just to fit the puzzle a bit better).

Good work, everyone, and over to Soriman! Congratulations!
Old 04-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #10911
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

Lindon! it's written down somewhere I just wasn't sure enough, nice one Galadriel.
Quote:

Good work, everyone, and over to Soriman! Congratulations!

Wow an honour but one that I'd like to politely refuse if possible if only for a short while. My puzzle making skills are a little weak, that said I thought I might be asked eventually and have been trying to write down a few good ideas here and there.

So can anybody please bail me out with this next one to give me some extra time to put a good one together?

If you insist though I could maybe push to scrape a little one together by tomorrow evening sometime.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #10912
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

No hassle, Soriman. Take your time. We've been playing this game for years and can wait a few days!
Old 04-12-2021, 04:28 PM   #10913
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Yes, absolutely! Take your time to make it, there's no pressure. And it doesn't have to follow the same style that we've groupthought ourselves into either, make the clues whatever style you want. There's absolutely no problem with taking a few days to write one, so go for it. As a side note, does absence make the players more eager?
Old 04-13-2021, 12:39 PM   #10914
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

Okay I'm not too happy with the outcome of this but I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to improve. This one is pretty basic borrowing many elements already used in this thread, hopefully I haven't overlooked anything major, here we go.

1. Borrow we hear. The beginning of eternity followed by a boy reflected, note this; it's twisted.
2. A french transaction caught in a riddle with a twist at the end!
3. Salmon with direction would be lucky to make it here.
4. The flavorist Whaley is confused, the water of this region must not be used.
5. This rests upon a gift from a fair lady, take three from the gift to find a way and follow this path.
6. Obfuscated flat holes help to find her.
7. Two mighty figures guarding and doing, we hear.
8. A dressing with an audible sigh makes the role.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #10915
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Could 7 be the WATCHERS that Sam gets past with the aid of the Phial?

I'd guess AMON SUL for 3, but U isn't a direction.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:31 PM   #10916
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Up?

#5 seems to have Galadriel resonances, but that's as far as my weary brain will take me tonight.

Oh! #7: guarding and doing, we hear? I heard 'guarding Anduin', which means the ARGONATH

hS
Old 04-13-2021, 02:56 PM   #10917
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Could 7 be the WATCHERS that Sam gets past with the aid of the Phial?

Yes Amon Sul absolutely correct, U as in upwards .
I wish watchers was correct, it fits my theme much better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Up?

#5 seems to have Galadriel resonances, but that's as far as my weary brain will take me tonight.

Oh! #7: guarding and doing, we hear? I heard 'guarding Anduin', which means the ARGONATH

hS
Yes Argonath! Although as you may see later my theme is rather loose .

1. Borrow we hear. The beginning of eternity followed by a boy reflected, note this; it's twisted.
3. Amon Sūl - Salmon with direction would be lucky to make it here.
5. This rests upon a gift from a fair lady, take three from the gift to find a way and follow this path.
6. Obfuscated flat holes help to find her.
7. Argonath - Two mighty figures guarding and doing, we hear.
8. A dressing with an audible sigh makes the role.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:39 PM   #10918
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Up?

hS
Oooohh, clever clue! I thought of the Argonath, but could not see the elements.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:58 PM   #10919
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Is 6 SHELOB - HOLES plus B for B Flat?

(Love 'obfuscated' as an anagram indicator!)
Old 04-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #10920
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

3. Amon Sūl - Salmon with direction would be lucky to make it here.
6. Shelob - Obfuscated flat holes help to find her.
7. Argonath - Two mighty figures guarding and doing, we hear.
8. A dressing with an audible sigh makes the role.[/QUOTE]

Nice one, yes the flat indicates B here.