The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM   #10881
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I was going to make a joke about how #2 must be 'man houses', but, um... it's not HOUSES OF MEN (/HOUSES OF THE EDAIN), is it?

Which, actually, means #4 could be FIRSTBORN - elder, and almost EldAr.

New page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
1. Hang door trim on the chaotic peaks.
2. Male buildings, literally.
3. The bands sing right - or wrong.
4. Elder... yes, almost elder.
5. Bright welcome, both noted and unnoted, initially jinxes small tumbled wheels.
hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM   #10882
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I was wondering if the 'elder' one might begin with a word for a female elder ... NAN.

I think Huey's theory is probably more likely ....

Is 3 something to do with the AINUR / AINULINDALE?
Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM   #10883
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
I was wondering if the 'elder' one might begin with a word for a female elder ... NAN.
I mean, NAN ELMOTH is elder (nan) + a tree (elm), which is close to elder the tree. So it's plausible.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM   #10884
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Correct on Men, and I'll give Eldar. No to the rest. For #3, it follows the classic cryptic clue format, so the straight clue is not "sings".

1. Hang door trim on the chaotic peaks.
2. HOUSES OF MEN: Male buildings, literally.
3. The bands sing right - or wrong.
4. ELDAR: Elder... yes, almost elder.
5. Bright welcome, both noted and unnoted, initially jinxes small tumbled wheels.
Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM   #10885
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The password isn't THREE, is it?
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM   #10886
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Galadriel55 is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
The password isn't THREE, is it?
You got it!

I also realized I forgot to put an element in the last clue. Fixed now.

1. T Hang door trim on the chaotic peaks.
3. R The bands sing right - or wrong.
5. E Bright welcome, both noted and unnoted, initially jinxes small tumbled wheels. Take the third.
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #10887
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So ... apparently THANGORODRIM is a group of three volcanic mountains ...

and it's also an anagram of HANG DOOR TRIM!

3. Did they have RUBBER BANDS in Middle-earth? It's possible- - the stuff comes from trees!

Or REGGAE BANDS? Bet some of the Rangers liked them.

I'd guess RANGERS, but I'm not sure if there were three bands of them.

I wonder if one of the answers is to do with the three lines of succession in Arnor.

Hang on ... is 3 just RINGS? Bands of precious metal? Sings with R for right, or arguably spelt wrong?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; Today at 02:30 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #10888
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

1. THANGORODRIM: Hang door trim on the chaotic peaks.
3. RINGS: The bands sing right - or wrong.
5. E Bright welcome, both noted and unnoted, initially jinxes small tumbled wheels. Take the third.

Rubber Bands of Middle-earth, touring your city next month! Come to the concert for the best metal music in town!
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #10889
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Is it possible we should take the second, not the third? Because J(INXES) + W(H)EELS would give us JEWELS, for three Silmarils.

Or does it end in JEWELS, but there's something composed of a bright welcome in front of them?
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #10890
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Is it possible we should take the second, not the third? Because J(INXES) + W(H)EELS would give us JEWELS, for three Silmarils.

Or does it end in JEWELS, but there's something composed of a bright welcome in front of them?
The second part is Jewels indeed, and you're right it's the Silmarils. But I thought "jewels" is a bit too general, and there is a more specific term.
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #10891
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE GREAT JEWELS?

GREET for welcome, the note A added and one of the E notes taken away?
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM   #10892
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Indeed!

1. THANGORODRIM: Hang door trim on the chaotic peaks.
3. RINGS: The bands sing right - or wrong.
5. GREAT JEWELS: Bright welcome, both noted and unnoted, initially jinxes small tumbled wheels. Take the third.

And back over to you!
Old Today, 02:29 AM   #10893
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nice one, G55! And nice work from Huey, too - I would not have got 'THREE' without his deductions.

Just a little one this time. And THIS one is my 117th password - I miscounted when I posted the last one, or rather I wrote this one first but decided to let that one jump the queue.

1. Land under these in Berlin, we hear. (We hear, dear, intermingled!).
2. Thorin wore a sky-blue hood for it.
3. Theyíre pluralised, elvishly, and magical. And the answer needs to precede the password.
4. Ingratiate or schmooze, we hear? The fourth, and his jacket, are significant.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; Today at 03:04 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote