The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #321
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question The Sound of Silence ...

Hello? Is there anybody there?
Old 04-23-2005, 01:17 AM   #322
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I am, but as I haven't the time to work this out and search for it, I keep looking in, in hopes that someone else does!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:50 PM   #323
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril A hint ...

It is a snippet of a conversation between Hobbits.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:05 AM   #324
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks for the hint and your patience, Saucy! I finally took the time to figure it out - the only thing that occurred to me at first as a contrast to "Earthwoman" was "Skywalker"! But the Miss/Mr. clue helped - there aren't many hobbits in the book who addressed themselves like that. Here's the quote:

Quote:
'And you can say what you like, about what you know no more of than you do of boating, Mr. Sandyman,' retorted the Gaffer, disliking the miller even more than usual. 'If that's being queer, then we could do with a bit more queerness in these parts...'
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 05-04-2005, 02:29 AM   #325
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up At last!

That's the one Esty. Well done and over to you.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:16 AM   #326
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a new one - these are not easy to do, since not all vocabulary lends itself to opposites, so I hope it's not too difficult to find the answer. There is one clue that should help...
Quote:
Then don't act reckless! ...nor as loud as I can't act! Here certainly is a Cleanair in the top, and now never here isn't. Do forbid them to bring no necessary certainties!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:38 AM   #327
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
That 'Cleanair' had me stupefied for ages...

Indeed, I was looking for foul water on the bottom of some places, or maybe some dirt somewhere, and scanned half of Frodo'n'Sam dialogues in Mordor, but it was more subtle than this! My complinents, Estelyn, much cunning exhibited, I daresay

Quote:
Now do be careful! And quiet as you can be! There may be no Smaug at the bottom but then again there may be. Don't let us take any unnecessary risks!
Bilbo to dwarves as they were about going down the secret tunnel to Smaug's lair.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:41 AM   #328
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Why thank you, kind sir! I am pleased both with my cunning idea and with the fact that you solved the riddle! Carry on - I'm afraid I'll have to sit this one out, though, as I'll be away from my home PC for a few weeks...
Old 06-02-2005, 02:30 AM   #329
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Next one to puzzle passers by, than

Quote:
Holding a fast, they are sure to be resurrected quite shortly in all cases.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:00 AM   #330
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

It's been dormant...

Well, I surmise it's a high time for a hint

The quote in my previous was uttered by a plumpier-than-average dwarf.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:19 AM   #331
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
"But without a feast we shan't remain alive much longer anyway," said Bombur
...speaking of the Woodland Elves.

(The fat Dwarf clue did it!)
Old 08-09-2005, 12:21 AM   #332
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Yes, of course. Pray proceed

Old 08-09-2005, 12:57 AM   #333
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Woe is me, for I leave the country (and most importantly for this thread, my PC) in two days. I shall try to get a new backwards quote up before I go, just to keep you busy for awhile...
Old 08-10-2005, 08:59 AM   #334
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Try this one!
Quote:
When you have sung part of the song, you wouldn't be standing there where Autumn had preceded Summer.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:51 AM   #335
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

found it, it's in Rivendell

Frodo sat silent and motionless. Fear seemed to stretch out a vast hand, like a dark cloud rising in the East and looming up to engulf him. ‘This ring!’ he stammered. ‘How, how on earth did it come to me?’
‘Ah!’ said Gandalf. ‘That is a very long story. The beginnings lie back in the Black Years, which only the lore-masters now remember. If I were to tell you all that tale, we should still be sitting here when Spring had passed into Winter.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:46 AM   #336
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

You got it right, HI! Your turn to turn...
Old 08-20-2005, 04:02 AM   #337
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Ok, than:

Quote:
They were orderly than! They? She did not want it to be ‘they’, for it was bliss to be left alone

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 12-10-2005 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:18 AM   #338
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Pipe hinting time...

'twas said west of Misty Mountains east of Lonely Mountain. In Mirkwood, to be precise...

Old 12-10-2005, 03:43 AM   #339
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks for the clue - that definitely helped narrow the search down! Here's what Bilbo said to himself after using Sting to free himself from the spider's web in The Hobbit:
Quote:
What a mess we are in now! We! I only wish it was we: it is horrible being all alone.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:41 AM   #340
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Right you are, M'am

Old 10-22-2006, 05:48 AM   #341
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
I'm reviving this cause it used to be much fun.

Sorry for the sloppiness of this one:

"Before enlightened beings arrived in the meadows full of dwellings and flew towards bright pastures, we crept towards them. What tunnels would we bravely burrow into, what danger in troubled skies or for homeless sophisticated creatures during the hours of daylight, if the Easterners were awake or had all come back to life?"
Old 11-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #342
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
But when dark things come from the houseless hills, or creep from sunless woods, they fly from us. What roads would any dare to tread, what safety could there be in quiet lands, or in the homes of simple men at night, if the Dunedain were asleep, or were all gone into the grave?
The counsil of Elrond
Aragorn, speaking to the council in general, but mostly to Boromir.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #343
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Thumbs up

Yep, well done and take it away!
This used to be fun game : )
Old 01-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #344
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"I know my safety, Denethor. Those giants will stand in the middle of a city and keep silent about the negative side of chairs, and great laziness of their children, grandchildren, and great-grand children, or brothers and sisters, if I discourage the with interruptions."
Some of these words may be a bit vague, but I think it's not that hard.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #345
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
You do not know your danger, Theoden. These hobbits will sit on the edge of ruin and discuss the pleasures of the table, or the small doings of their fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers, and remoter cousins to the ninth degree, if you encourage them with undue patience.

Gandalf to Theoden near the ruins of Orthanc when Merry starts on about smoking.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #346
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Thread is yours, Brooke!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #347
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"All and all! That he found forward he guessed a gain; needed display in the water it has disproved. Stop us that worship his title, worship him in the past, but praise our exit from the fields of the orcs! Stop the horses freezing!"

I'm not sure that's right. If anybody needs a hint say so.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #348
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

:d

This has to be Feanor's memorable lines:

'None and none! What I have left behind I count now no loss; needless baggage on the road it proved! Let those that cursed my name curse me still, and whine their way back to the cages of the Valar. Let the ships burn!'

Was he a cool fellow or what?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #349
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Correct Evisse!

And yes Feanor is a very cool elf - along with Maglor, Matimo, and Fingon. They're the only Noldor I really like in the books.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #350
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Let's see:

'Out of joy we need not stay; and still out of hope.

(as a personal aside, one of my favourite quotes, once unscrambled )
Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #351
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Evise, I am really confused about this quote. It sounds like "Into sorrow [someone] must enter; and into despair." It has a familiar ring to it, but I just can't pinpoint it. Feanor says a line of similar comtext when he urges the Noldor to leave Aman, but it has a totally different structure.

A clue, perhaps?

Last edited by mormegil; 04-24-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:50 AM   #352
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sounds like Aragorn on his deathbed consoling Arwen:

Quote:
But I say to you, King of the Numenoreans, not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive.

"So it seems," he said. "But let us not be overthrown at the final test, who of old renounced the Shadow and the Ring.
In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory, Farewell!"

Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #353
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Since it's been a while, I hope nobody minds if I do one:

Earlier they heard me, I nice tall human! They did drink me and took my flesh and blood buried in the ground....they buried me feet upwards in the ground for a month or three.

I'm not sure if that's scarier then the original quote or not....
Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #354
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

"Now we see you, you nasty little creature! We will eat you and leave your bones and skin hanging on a tree. Ugh! he's got a sting has he? Well, we'll get him all the same, and then we'll hang him head downwards for a day or two."

~Spiders to Bilbo in Mirkwood

It was scarier before I guessed it.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #355
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Correct! I think the whole drank my blood part was scary....and it was in the past tense, so how's he telling us this.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #356
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Here's something relatively easy:

"Your servant is healthy and in good shape. He should go on walking until daybreak. He doesn't need a break."
Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #357
Narnangol
Animated Skeleton

Narnangol has just left Hobbiton.
"My master is sick and wounded. He can't go on riding after nightfall. He needs rest."

Sam after the episode with the trolls, when the Hobbits and Aragorn meet Glorfindel.
Narnangol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #358
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Yup! Your turn!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:13 AM   #359
bella10388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
I agree Watcher. Though I must say this sounds like Denethor before he decides to kill himself and Faramir.

I also think so.
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 09-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #360
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella10388 View Post
I also think so.
I agree with you.