The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #1841
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Heeere it is! Part ONE!

I guess I'm not so much of a fool of a Took after all. Here's the game!

Quote:
"Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out."
With this, Galadriel55 ran, all the way out of the Shire, in fact.

Aganzir saw this terrifyingly real picture and scribbled this sentence.

Quote:
"After a long journey and a hard to the Shire, the Ringwraiths are hindered by the Rohirrim patrolling the boarders."
MCRmyGirl4eva read Agan's sentence, went mad, and drew her picture.

After considerable debate, BlindGuardian wrote this:

Quote:
"After making a wrong turn, the Nazgûl ended up asking two mortals for Baggins (and directions) in Rohan."
Then Oddwen threw together some paints.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #1842
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Part TWO!

Satansaloser wrote her sentence to combat Oddwen's magic.

Quote:
Bill the Pony's backwoods cousins were confused by the appearance of several poorly made Phantom clones, who, it seemed were on a quest for a Map of the Shire.
After brooding for several weeks, Nogrod reacted with this:

A Little Green saw this as her chance to act!

Quote:
My Little Smokers stand confused as it turns out that hiring Phantoms instead of Nazgûl was not among Sauron's best ideas after all.
Rune saw this as his chance to offend people with this!

Legate, who was thoroughly confused at this, said:

Quote:
After smoking all of Farmer Maggot's pipeweed, Khamul and his friend started seeing Their Little Ponies, pink rhinos and various other funny stuff.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #1843
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Part THREE!

Hookbill the Goomba, after seeing this, did the only thing he could think of, and belched out this masterpiece:

Thinlomien wasn't surprised at all and came back with this:

Quote:
The Phantom's inanimate friend introduced him to sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll.
Eönwë saw this as his chance to act, and saved the day with his picture!

Here you go, guys. Just in time for Hobbit movie celebration festivities! Enjoy. Lord knows how much trouble I went through to put this up.

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 12-13-2012 at 05:44 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #1844
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Lots of really interesting drawings, well done people.

Lommy's sentence is however what I regard as the highlight of this PT round.

Straight to the point, very funny, and an excellent sentence to carry the game forward.

Of course it doesn't do any harm that it is sandwiched between to excellent drawings, and by excellent I mean funny.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #1845
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

I like the results of this round. A pity it wasn't longer, but maybe I got too much used to the very long PTs. In fact, it's a nice change, because it didn't drift off so much (yet still proved quite variable).

If I were to name some highlights, I very much liked G55's pic, it has some deep artsy quality in itself (note e.g. the flower on top of Bag End), and sally's decription of the ponies as "Bill the Pony's backwoods cousins" is pretty brilliant. I should note that Rune certainly surprised me with his skill of drawing ponies. The man seems to have some hidden qualities. Hookbill's drawing of "Khamul's friend" is fun, as was Eönwë's picture interpretation of Lommy's sentence (both the imaginary and real "alien" in the picture are hilarious; the dream alien has amazing expression).

However the best pic of all is definitely Nog's. The maps are a great detail, but "Bill the Pony's backwoods cousins" are RIDICULOUS!!! Absolutely lovely!!!!

Just like G55 said, this was a nice holiday cheer Definitely thanks for the round, TGEW (actually I should mention I think the sentence picked in the beginning was also pretty well chosen).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #1846
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I wanted to make a list of the things I particularly liked and decided against it because I was just listing every picture and sentence on the list. I guess I'll say some things anyways.

Firstly, as Legate said, I really liked the starting sentence. Not only because I got to draw it, but I think it's just ambiguous enough to give a nice breakage in the telephone.

Agan, I never thought you could see my picture that way until I saw your sentence. Thumbs up!

MCR, I like your Rohan border. I for sure would not have thought of that.

Oddy, your picture is just brilliant! I don't have a better way to describe the feeling.

sally's sentence made me chuckle. Backwoods cousins!

Nog's picture is awesome. I adore the -ire maps and the phantom clones. Too funny!

Greenie's interpretation of Nog's picture was astoundingly hilarious.

Rune, you're damn good at drawing Bill's backwoods cousins! And questionmarks. Yes, your questionmarks are pretty. I just said that.

Legate, I think your sentence fits in perfectly with the expression on Rune's pony's face.

Hooky's drawing is as hilariously random and relavant at the same time as always. The friend is very clever and funny, but no one should ever give Hook the freedom to draw whatever "other funny stuff" he wants! Or maybe we should do that all the time! Who knows?

Lommy's sentence made me stop reading for a few minutes due to a stomachache caused by laughter.

Eonwe, I love the idea of Alien as a rock formation. Great drawing!

I definitely count this as one of my better evenings due to this PT.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #1847
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I just want to thank everyone involved with the Paper Telephone. You have made my night!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #1848
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I have to say this was one of the best I've seen / been in!

This just nailed the idea of a PT as a whole: the changes were substantial but yet logical from the very beginning to the very end - and most of all funny to the point of being ridiculously funny (Greenie's "My Little Smokers"! ).

Kudos and a bow to all who took part!

I was about to continue the former sentence with "especially to..." before I realised I should have included basically everyone - so yeah: kudos to everyone for making my very stressful evening lighter and lifting my mood from somewhat distressed into hilarious!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #1849
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What wondrous madness!! Eönwë's picture was where I finally lost it and burst into fits of giggles.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #1850
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I'm glad that everyone had fun, and liked the game at closing time.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #1851
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
This one has definitely been one of the best I've seen.

Last edited by Eönwë; 12-15-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #1852
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This really was one of the best rounds in a while. I think it might at least partly be due to its relatively short length - the jokes don't have time to get old when we have fewer turns.

Everything was good, but if I had to name favourites it would be Hookbill's and Eönwë's pictures. The first was hilarious, and the latter too except it was very very sad at the same time (and made Lommy and me go Awww when we first saw it).

Who's up for the next round?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #1853
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Mememe!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #1854
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Goomba
What wondrous madness!! Eönwë's picture was where I finally lost it and burst into fits of giggles.
My feelings exactly! It was a great round even though it didn't change so much (the main character(s) kept fluctuating between the Nazgûl and the phantom). Kudos to everybody!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #1855
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
I am definitely up for the next round. Who is going to mod it this time?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #1856
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'll play another round!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #1857
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Who is going to mod it this time?
Me.

G55
TGEW
Hooks

Are you okay with a single round again? And if so, do you have any preferences as to drawing or writing?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #1858
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I'm in, and I would prefer to draw, since I was writing the last time...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #1859
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Count me in, although not after Hookbill again (there has to be some change ).

Singles or doubles, either is fun, and I don't really mind about drawing or writing either. So you choose.

edit: xed with Il Legato! He's post between me and Hooksie makes me sound really rude.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #1860
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

G55
TGEW
Hooks
Legate
- draw
Lommy

I intend to shuffle the deck before we start just because I think it's boring always to be between the same people (which is sometimes a problem because I share the timezone with so many players - who are in the same place every now and then and do a mass sign up through the one that happens to be online and notifies everyone else about a new game starting).
Old 12-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #1861
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sign me up! I don't mind which, but I'd like to be near the beginning, because I probably won't have (reliable) internet access from February.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #1862
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
This round made me giggle all the way through. Even Rune's scary Marijuana Little Pony.

I'd love to sign up for the next round! I don't mind either role, though if I'm later in the round I'd need to rely on Finnish equipment.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #1863
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Eönwë
G55
TGEW
Hooks
Legate
- draw
Lommy
Oddwen

I'll send out the first sentence in a couple of days.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #1864
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I'd like to play if there's still room.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #1865
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm in. I'd prefer to write if possible, as I don't currently have the ability to scan anything horrible I might draw.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #1866
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn of ungoliant View Post
I'd like to play if there's still room.
Am I hallucinating?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #1867
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Leaf So it begins

Eönwë - draw
Oddwen - write
Lommy - draw
TGEW - write
dancing spawn - draw
Hookbill - write
Legate - draw
sally - write
Galadriel55 - draw
A Little Green - write
Rune - draw
Nogrod - write
Gil-Galad - draw

Also, if somebody still wants to join, they're welcome to do so! And let's try to stick to the 2 days for writing, 3 days for drawing rule. If you don't visit the Downs (almost) daily, I suggest turning on e-mail notifications for PMs (User CP -> Edit Options).

Last edited by Aganzir; 01-13-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #1868
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Hey people, we're over halfway through! People at the Finnish end of the game are asking for doubles, and I might be inclined to agree because we're moving relatively fast (seven people in two weeks). Are you okay with it? If yes, we need at least one more player!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #1869
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Hey people, we're over halfway through! People at the Finnish end of the game are asking for doubles, and I might be inclined to agree because we're moving relatively fast (seven people in two weeks). Are you okay with it? If yes, we need at least one more player!
The question is if we still manage to keep that pace As in, whether we shouldn't rather be happy that we for once have managed to do it on schedule. But I think you should judge as a Mod, depending on how much the image is/is not distorted by now etc etc.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #1870
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
we need at least one more player!
Consider that one signed in...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #1871
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Thanks! Anyway we're still one short for doubles because Rune signed up too, but never mind. We'll see what happens, and I don't think anyone really has anything against doing a quick single round either.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #1872
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I remembered that Agan had sent me a message with the call, I must have checked it late at night, because I didn't remember responding to it. My worry soon vanished when I checked this thread and saw that I was already off the list. I'm really glad that we keep a public list of who has gone here, otherwise I would have worried myself half to death.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #1873
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Don't worry, I would've pestered you if I hadn't got the sentence by now.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #1874
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Like usual. I am just overly forgetful.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #1875
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

So did we decide on singles in the end?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #1876
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I am really liking singles. It doesn't give us enough time to forget the game. I think we should keep doing games like this. Is that the general consensus?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #1877
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I am really liking singles. It doesn't give us enough time to forget the game. I think we should keep doing games like this. Is that the general consensus?
I wouldn't mind a singles game at all. I guess I wouldn't mind a doubles either, but I'm too excited to find out the results to wait.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #1878
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

We can surely finish now with one single round, and after that start a new one with the opposite roles.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #1879
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I pretty much agree with you all myself. I think singles are also more fun because apart from what you write/draw yourself, you really have no idea what's going on in the story while in doubles, you have time to wonder how it came to that even before it's published. Plus it may get tedious if the story goes on too long.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #1880
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
I'd prefer doubles myself but if the general consensus wants singles then I'm fine with that too!
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote