The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
Loke

Ring Why did the Men and Dwarves accept Sauron's Rings?

why did the kings of man elves and dwarfs agree to recive the rings from sauron. What was so special whit these rings?? Did they haw any power?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:34 PM January 05, 2004: Message edited by: Loke ]

[edited to name the thread properly. Sharkū]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:48 PM January 05, 2004: Message edited by: Sharkū ]
Old 01-05-2004, 05:34 PM   #2
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Sting

They were greedy basically, and the easterlings looked up to Sauron as a god, and to haev a ring of power is to be a god, i na way
Old 01-05-2004, 06:50 PM   #3
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

The Other Rings were supposed to be used to govern those races. It probably made them easier to conquer because the One Ring controlled all others therefore controlling the races. I dont know what happened to the 7 dwarves, but the 9 men became ringwriaths
Old 01-07-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
swordspoken

Sting

The dwarves mines/treasure places were slowly taken over by dragons like Smaug or for other reasons. I don't think Sauron was known as evil at that time.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
Altariel
Animated Skeleton

Altariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Men and Dwarves accepted the Rings out of greed; the mortal Men wanted power and the Dwarves... mm.. riches, probably. And that was exactly what Sauron offered them. They didn't have the power of the Elves to see through that slick facade of Sauron's. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The Rings were Rings of Power, so they did have some power over the wearer. Plus, the One Ring Sauron made so that he would have power over all the other rings, and hence, over their wearers... by accepting the rings, the men and dwarves inadvertently submitted to Sauron's will. A nasty surprise, I guess...

Oh, and the Elves took off the Rings when they recognized Sauron for what he really was.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:29 PM January 07, 2004: Message edited by: Altariel ]
Old 01-07-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
master_of_puppets

Sting

id have to say that at the time neither the men or dwarves were aware of the true intent of Sauron or the fullness of his evil. i believe greed was involved, the desire to rule over their race was definately a striving fource. the men, at least, were no saints to begin with. and as they say, the minds of the weak are easily corrupted- which is exactly what happend.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:00 PM   #7
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

For the "great kings of men" the most likely reason is the desire for increased power, potentially the ability to stave off old age and hold on to their domains.

For dwarves it would be the promise riches lost and riches to gain.

I don't think the elves took off the Rings - they were hidden from Sauron and those were the only three of the rings of power he didn't touch. However Frodo later sees Galadrial wearing her ring so they still wore them (Galadrial, Elrond & Gandalf (Cirdan)).
Old 01-07-2004, 05:38 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

Quote:
I don't think the elves took off the Rings - they were hidden from Sauron and those were the only three of the rings of power he didn't touch. However Frodo later sees Galadrial wearing her ring so they still wore them
They took of their Rings when they realised that Sauron had made the One Ring, to which the other Rings of Power were subservient, so as not to be ensnared by him. The bearers of the Elven Rings were able to wear them once again when Sauron lost the One Ring.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:10 PM   #9
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

The Dwarves lost most of their rings to Dragons, as has been said.
But if you read in Appendix A - (III) Durins Folk, it will tell you what came of the Seven rings. I believe the Dwarves still had on ring at teh time of Sauron, but that was lost as someone went to avenge their father's death.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:36 PM   #10
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe that is Thrain son of Thror. Thror had gone to Moria, but first he gave Thrain his Ring. Later, Thrain went wandering with the Ring. He was found by the Necromancer and had the Ring stolen from him. That can be found in Appendix A Durin's Folk.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote