Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2002, 10:11 AM   #41
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Thanks Maika. And great to be seeing you too. Havent played with you for a long while, something I have missed!

Quote:
Some day I will return the favour and post for you as an elf.
Well, I will wait fo that with baited breath Bethberry! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks for the acceptance. Abd of course I would accept both you and Susan! If you do rethink, I would still be glad to take you. (although, your elvish chances wouldnt come in here! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

lol, ok Ill go post now,

aman
Old 12-30-2002, 04:21 PM   #42
Anglachel
Animated Skeleton

Anglachel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great posts everyone! Hope you are all ready for the chase to begin.

Lugburz, greetings once again, though under a different name than before.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:50 PM   #43
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Deorlin: Thank you for giving me a bit of tension to work with! I will talk to you further about plot possibilities in Private Message!
Old 12-31-2002, 02:59 PM   #44
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

The Rohirrim are in hot pursuit of the horses thieves. Have fun posting, but remember to keep the thieves ahead of the pursuers. We don't want to catch up to them too soon and shorten the fun.

The thieves should be by the fork of the Snowbourne and the Entwash by Wednesday night, camping just outside that forest. The thieves want to make fast time, and so should skirt the edge of the forest, but perhaps the pursuers might take a false lead and enter the forest, so they will not get to that fork of the two rivers until Thursday morning.

I hope this gives each group time to develop some interaction with the group members.

Very good to see you, Lugbúrz. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm sure everyone will be intrigued to have you aboard. I'll be PMing you!

Happy New Year, everyone.

Bethberry
Old 12-31-2002, 05:36 PM   #45
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Lugbúrz has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I shall await your PM, Bethberry. Will be gone until the morrow.

Happy new year to one and all. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2003, 06:13 AM   #46
Estel the Descender
Haunting Spirit

Estel the Descender has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Estel the Descender
Sting

Quote:
BTW, you are welcome to join Ride to the Dark Side if you wish. -- Bethberry (PM)
Very well, I will be Béowulf, a young knight of Rohan (my elf character was in Mirkwood around TA 3009 so I cannot use him).

Quote:
Name: Béowulf

Race: Man of Rohan

Date of Birth: 1 May TA 2991

Height: 6’

Early History: Béowulf was the son of Ecgthéow (Ecgþéow: Swordthane), a knight of Éomund's éored and grandson to Thengel King by his third daughter. Ecgthéow was killed in 3002 along with Éomund in an ambush. Since then, he lived with his mother in Edoras and later served as a squire to Théoden King and was friend to Éomer. On his fourteenth birthday he was given Léod, a mearas, but Béowulf had known Léod and been his friend since the horse was born four years earlier. When he reached the age of sixteen (TA 3007), Béowulf decided to go to the place where his father died. Bringing his father’s sword, shield, and spear, Béowulf and Léod journeyed to Emyn Muil. There he wandered for almost a year, killing orcs whom he would encounter. But after having slain one hundred orcs, he grew weary and decided to return to Edoras. Unknown to him, his feats were told in the halls of Meduseld that upon his return he was granted a knighthood and became a member of Théodred’s éored.

Later History: TA 3019: fought in the Battles of Fords of Isen, 25 February and 2 March; 15 March, Battle of the Pelennor Fields; 25 March, Battle at the Black Gate.

Personality:

1. Emotions-positive – dynamic and active, must correct wrongs, curious, sincere at heart, appreciative of beauty, conscientious, idealistic.

Emotions-negative – won’ give up even when losing, impatient, has restless energy, remembers the negatives.

2. Work-positive – persistent and thorough, economical, moves quickly to action, volunteers for jobs.

Work-negative – hard to please, deep need for approval, may make rash decisions.

3. Friends-positive – makes friends easily but cautiously, thrives on compliments, apologises quickly, faithful and devoted, will listen to complaints, has compassion and concern.

Friends-negative – critical of others, dislikes those in opposition, judges others.

4. Psychological Profile – Cruelty, Some; Loyalty, Total; Passion, Some; Piety, High; Sanity, High; Selfishness, Some.

5. Weaknesses – Can be goaded into a fight even against better judgement.

Accoutrements: Father’s sword, lance, shield, mail coat, light helm, and jeweled dagger.

Appearance: Yellow-haired, lean and muscular, steel-blue eyes, ale-belly (just had to much ale sometimes).
Will my character do? And how soon can I begin posting?

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Estel the Descender ]
Old 01-01-2003, 06:59 AM   #47
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

A very clearly thoughout character, Estel the Descender! The only point I would hesitate over is the use of the name Beowulf itself, because of the OE poem. (In the RPG Resources thread in The Shire, I gave a link to lists of Old English names for men and women.) However, if you want to use it, that is your choice.

I had asked gamers to provide a first post here before accepting them, but since your character is so well-developed and since I know your work on your proposal (and since this is a short game which has already started), I won't wait to see the post here.

Most welcome you are! Join the game whenever you are able to start posting. The Rohirrim are already on the trail, so you will have to join them there.

All, Garen would like us to carry his character Gormel rather than kill him off and so I ask our horse thieves to do that.

By the way, where are our horse thieves? We are hot on your trail. Post on, me hearties.

Bethberry

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-01-2003, 12:03 PM   #48
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Im a little patchy on what the exact route is; has anyone got a map?
Old 01-01-2003, 12:12 PM   #49
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Links to two maps are posted on the first page of the Discussion thread, Aman in my post dated December 29 at around 10 pm. I hope this helps.

Bethberry

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-01-2003, 12:34 PM   #50
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Thankyou Bethberry. Hmmm...not a great one for geography, I tend to get good marks by fluke... ah ha! Got where we are now.

Hmmm, is it wednesday night your time, or wednesday night my time? See, if its my time, its wednesday night already, so then should I make us arrive (or be about to arrive) at the fork now?
Old 01-01-2003, 12:54 PM   #51
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Wednesday BarrowDowns' site time, which is Eastern Standard Time, North America, I believe was what I originally had in mind.

Maybe today is busy for everyone, and we should allow an extra day? What do you think, Aman? Plan to have the horse thieves at the fork of the two rivers by Thursday night, Jan 2, BD site time? The pursuers will then get there Friday morning, Jan 3, BD site time.

Is this a better scenario? Will it give more opportunity for some interactive posts? Let me know. (Plot thickens and all that. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

Bethberry
Old 01-01-2003, 12:57 PM   #52
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Sure. I think thats about +6 hours time difference.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:46 PM   #53
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Deorlin

Quote:
He turned to Anglachel and said "If I recall rightly, there is a ford across the river some ten leagues or so hence. Think you the theives will make for that, or continue on along the northern bank?
Can you clarify this for me? You say about 30 miles (ten leagues) from Edoras there is a ford across the Snowbourne. The Easterlings are on the northern bank of the river - why would they think of crossing it and where would they have gone if they did?

Amanaduial

Quote:
"What is our route?" Rhana continued.
"Snowbourne." He grunted in reply. "We will cross the ford."
So, the Easterlings are crossing south across the River Snowbourne? And what are they heading for - the River Entwash?

~ An interested reader, trying to understand the thoughts of the characters.

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-01-2003, 02:22 PM   #54
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I haven't been home for a couple of days but I'm here now and (apart from a slight hang-over [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ) I'm trying to figure something out.

Uhm... About Aman's post... I may be wrong but I thought that we baddies had our own horses. It's a pretty long trip from Mordor to Rohan on foot. Bethberry?

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 01-01-2003, 02:44 PM   #55
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Deorlin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pio (and all)

Sorry for any confusion! I guess my geography is about as good as Aman's. I wasn't quite sure when we set out if the thieves were travelling along the north or south shore of the river. So I guessd the north shore, as there was some comment about whether they would go north into the forest. I then also thought that the posse didn't know for sure if the theives were easterlings, just that they had set out in an easterly direction, so we didn't know exactly where they would be heading. And there was also some talk of the great western road as being the quickest, although for them the more dangerous ruoute, east.So Deorlin's comment was just kind of a general surmising as to what the thieves were up to, and to tell the truth, was written by me in order to have some interaction with Anglachel and let him do some "I know this area" stuff. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I hope this helps clarify my disoreinted thought process. I can edit if that would help explain things better in the story itself?
Old 01-01-2003, 02:57 PM   #56
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Wow! We've got a reader! Thanks for catching that, Pio. My geography is also not reliable; my Fonstad is beside me whenever I post.

If the thieves are on the north side of the Snowbourne, they will need to ford to the south side, so they can skirt the forest and camp at the fork of the Entwash. Getting there by Thursday Jan 2 real time is fine--a day's delay does not hurt due to the holiday.

You are right, Maika, that the thieves should have horses. On foot they would be caught too quickly. Or they can use some of the stolen ones.

Aman, that's a tremendous effort pulling everything together. Check my comments above for details.

All, I am very busy with a dinner party and house quests, so I won't be back on until very late tonight, BD site time.

Bethberry
Old 01-01-2003, 03:14 PM   #57
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The Snowbourne River runs directly East from Edoras to the Entwash River. The last ten leagues (30 miles) of it, before it joins the Entwash, is through an unnamed forested area.

So, now I see that the the route is to cross the Snowbourne from the North at the ford mentioned, travel past the forest in a southeast direction, making for the place where the Entwash breaks into its many mouths that flow east to join the Anduin.

That direct southeast route, from the ford to the fork of the Entwash, will be about 90 miles.

Where are you going from there?
Old 01-01-2003, 03:18 PM   #58
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

I have absolutely no idea where we are. But then again, I'm the person who can almost get lost in my own apartment.
Could somebody please try to tell me where we are? Maybe in a PM? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2003, 04:45 PM   #59
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Maika: sorry, but when we did orienteering in my school, I got lost...literally...so don't trust me.

General comment to anyone and no one: As there are so many "SAVE"'s, I did a fairly ambiguous post in regards to where we are, as I do not know where the previous posts will take our company.

All: Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2003, 04:53 PM   #60
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Sting

*A tall man slips in from the backdoor*

So sorry I'm late, Bethberry I've replied to your PM. I've been having computer problems as of late, though they are now amended (I hope! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ). I've read up on what yall have got so far and am delighted to see such a wonderful cast.

Horse Theives,

I've tried to fit my character in better, seeing as how me just appearing in the group out of nowhere would seem a bit odd. I hope this works for everyone.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:08 PM   #61
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Sounds fine, Oro. I've removed your name from my earlier post to make everything fit. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2003, 04:44 AM   #62
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is a biography for my character Maikadurion:

Name: Maikadurion (My-ka-du-ri-on)

DOB: TA 31 October 2994 in Ithilien (so he's about 15 in this story)

Race: A real mixture - his mother was a Mirkwood Elf, but his father had a mix of Gondorian and Rohirrim blood

Family: Mother Orowethwen (deceased); father Théomer (deceased); aunt, uncle and three cousins, of the house of Rocconinquë (deceased); younger twin brother Laitalathion (unknown to Maikadurion); cousin, Airerûthiel of the Rocconinquë (unknown to Maikadurion)

Appearance: Dresses like a Ranger of Ithilien; shoulder-length red-gold hair; dark blue eyes; fairly tall

Weapon: Lisran, one of his father's swords

Personality: Maikadurion is loyal yet stubborn, and can be intensely sarcastic. He is self-reliant and prefers solitude to company. Although he will defend his friends and those weaker than himself to the death, he is distrustful of strangers and does not make alliances easily.

He rides an exceptionally fast silver-grey horse named Formenelen, and possesses the gift of being able to communicate with horses.

Bio:
  • TA 4 July 2995 - Théomer is slain by wargs whilst out on patrol in Ithilien. Although she has sickened and is weak, Orowethwen takes her sons on a two-year trek across Gondor to find a haven for them.
  • TA 1 September 2997 - Orowethwen, Maikadurion and Laitalathion eventually settle in the house of the Rocconinquë with Orowethwen's sister and her family.
  • TA 3 January 2999 - Orowethwen eventually dies of grief at her husband's death. Maikadurion and Laitalathion are now orphans.
  • TA 1 March 3003 - Maikadurion and Laitalathion run away west to learn of their mother's people.
  • TA 21 June 3005 - Maikadurion and Laitalathion, having visited the location of many Elvish dwellings, return east to Gondor.
  • TA 6 August 3005 - Maikadurion and Laitalathion reach the border of Gondor with Rohan, but are barred from entry as their father is accused of treason against the stewards. The brothers quarrel over what to do next and Laitalathion returns west. Maikadurion seeks work in Rohan.
  • TA 1 December 3008 - Maikadurion finds work at the inn of the White Horse in Edoras.

~*~*~*~*~

Maikadurion's first post (ie what he is doing in Ælfritha's first post) will be posted here asap!

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Airerûthiel ]
Old 01-02-2003, 01:55 PM   #63
Airerûthiel
Wight

Sting

This is Maikadurion's first post (what he is doing during Ælfritha's first post):

~*~*~*~*~

Maikadurion listened intently at this talk of stolen horses. He knew that such treachery was frowned upon intensely in Rohan, and that to have a horse stolen in the land of the horse-lords was like parting a mother from her babe. Despite the comfortable routine he had got himself into working at the inn of the White Horse, in his heart he still yearned to break his vow and seek adventure in Middle-earth once more.

Then suddenly his thoughts leapt outside to the stable. "Formenelen," he whispered, and his heartbeat quickened, pounding in his ears like raindrops onto a roof of Edoras during a downpour. If his mother's horse had been taken...no, it would be too great a blow to his memory. The image of her pale face with its long hair as golden as oak leaves in autumn and the ice-blue eyes as cold as the first spring morn had all but faded from the memory of nine years, when he saw her lying in state in the Great Hall of his uncle.

As the throng of people poured forward from the door of the inn like a river in flood, he slipped in among them as silently and quickly as a shadow or a breath of wind, noticed by none, and made his way across the cobbled courtyard to the stables.

The half-Elf quieted the horses in Rohirric and the tongue of his Elven kin, and they were still - he had possessed the gift prized so highly by Men of the Riddermark for as long as he could remember. Going through each one of the remaining beautiful beasts, whose eyes had grown in their heads to twice their size and were immersed in a liquid trauma that gazed out pleadingly at him, Maikadurion reached the stall of the North Star. He closed his eyes as his delicate fingers ran themselves over the engraved brass plate on the stall door, and then slowly opened them as he stood up, already knowing what it was he would find there.

It was as empty as a tombstone that waits with yawning open mouth, hungry for its eternal meal of a coffin and a life.

"Then I know what I must do," he said to himself in a saddened and sombre tone, his feet as heavy as the helm with the treacherous path laid before them. "I have no choice but to leave, to return to my old life...to go back to what appears to be my destiny."

He walked back into the inn alongside the stragglers who offered only provisions to the troupe of riders, and then walked towards the bar.

"Drink this, my friend." Maikadurion glanced up to see Bethberry's kindly face as she took in his own expression. "I am surprised you are not on this side of the bar; after all, you seemed more content there than you do when we are divided by this wooden barricade."

"Good lady Bethberry, I have a boon to ask of you," said Maikadurion, opening his mouth to continue with his request. But he got no further; the innkeeper's sorrowful half-smile told him all he needed to know.

"You were not destined for the simple life, my friend," she replied. "Although for a short time you were content to work for your living, I see that in your heart your desire is to taste adventure all your days in Middle-earth. And maybe one day our paths will cross again. Go now, and fulfil your desires."

Maikadurion kept a pack behind the bar, filled with everything he would need should he choose to leave Edoras for the unknown, and he gratefully took this now from Bethberry. "You have been good to me, and I owe you a great debt. I leave you with my promise that one day I will return to the White Horse."

"And I shall hold your faith to that promise," replied the innkeeper. "You are strong and brave, and you leave this place with honour, having proved your worth. Go now; without horses to spare and your own mount taken, it will be a long journey on foot, even for the son of Elves and Men."
Old 01-02-2003, 05:51 PM   #64
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Finally got away from relatives...

I feel so hypocritical insulting Izrenna's size, when I'm no taller than 5'3 in real life [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

When abouts will the RP finish, by the way? Just so I have some idea of time.

~Varda
Old 01-02-2003, 06:50 PM   #65
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Airerûthiel, welcome to the game! If it is okay with you, I will add your first post to one of mine, so that it is in proper chronological order, with your name given. I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Deorlin,

In your post of Dec 30, 2:08, your character mentions The Shire. Is this knowledge that a Man of the Mark would have or should have at this time? Careful, you do not know who might take umbrage at such indiscretion. I pass on this warning from one who would make you rue it.

Varda and Everyone ,

The game should finish sometime next week, between the 8th and the 11th, unless we get sidetracked.

I have made a SAVE post for the horse thieves, to get them to the Entwash. With Garin away, it is hard for you to regroup. If anyone of the thieves wants to do this post, send it to me via PM and I will add it here, under your name, or I will write, as a third person narrator, the post myself.

PLEASE remember to disable your signatures when you post. Some of the posts need to be edited for this.

Keep a wary eye out ...

Bethberry

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-03-2003, 03:02 AM   #66
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Lugbúrz has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I'm rather unfamiliar with posts being saved for later but am reasonably confident that my post will not hamper the role-playing. I would rather have had it that the characters do not read my post until they add onto the missing ones.

Shall we just say 'the Jury must disregard what has been said and it be stricken off the record'?

Except that it is very much on the record. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2003, 08:08 AM   #67
Airerûthiel
Wight

Sting

Bethberry, is it necessary for me to put Maikadurion's first post in The White Horse to make it fit in with the RPG there, or do I just leave it here?

I just thought I should consider providing a reason for him going on the quest instead of just disappearing...
Old 01-03-2003, 08:13 AM   #68
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Because this story is linked to The White Horse, Airerûthiel, you needn't worry about lack of continuity there. Your post is good and belongs here, as part of the preparations. Is this okay?

Bethberry
Old 01-03-2003, 08:40 AM   #69
Airerûthiel
Wight

Sting

Thanks for clearing that up, Bethberry.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:44 AM   #70
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Writers of the Mark, may I now introduce you to one of our cameo writers, who has added a little bit of excitement to our story, as some of us had planned, The Barrow Wight.

Welcome indeed, and very nicely done, Barrow Wight.

Bethberry

[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-03-2003, 09:32 AM   #71
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

As if we weren't few enough... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Well done, Mr. Wight, though I think I better go check on Rhana's fingers. She may be down to 8 now. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2003, 11:32 AM   #72
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Gryphon Hall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Gryphon Hall
Eye

Uhmmmmm... I want to be one of the pursuers, but I know I come in a bit late. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I've included my character bio and my first post. I hope it works.

Name: Corrin the Dwarf

Race: Durin's folk

Date of Birth: Please see timeline below

History: Corrin's prose history is too long at this point, and I haven't really worked out some of the finer details, so I am using the format of Appendix B -- Tale of Years in the timeline below

Timeline
  • TA 2835 - Corrin, of the House of Durin, born in the Ered Luin. His grandfather was a burned dwarf, his grandmother belonged to the youngest dwarf house.
  • TA 2910 - Corrin accompanies small band of dwarves looking for work in Eriador
  • TA 2911 - Corrin reaches Dunland
  • TA 2913 - Corrin reaches the Iron Hills
  • TA 2920 - Corrin marries Dáie, kinswoman of Dáin of the Iron Hills
  • TA 2935 - Darrin, son of Corrin born
  • TA 2939 - Krís, daughter of Corrin, born
  • TA 2941 - Participated in the Battle of the Five Armies as one of Dáin's Grim Five Hundred.
  • TA 2944 - Helps rebuild Erebor and Dale. His family transfers from the Iron Hills to Erebor.
  • TA 2945-2970 - Travels through Lake Town, Dorwinion, Rhovanion and Rohan on business trips, later bringing Darrin with him
  • TA 2989 - Accompanies Balin on his journey to Moria, leaving his wife and children, but turns west at the High Pass, with the intent of gathering more dwarves from the Ered Luin for Balin in Moria
  • TA 2990 - After tarrying along the way, making a stop-over at Bree, finally reaches the Ered Luin but found no dwarves willing to accompany him. Makes long travel back to Khazad-dûm. Corrin cannot find the West (Hollin) Gate, so he goes over Redhorn Pass.
  • TA 2991 - Reaches Mirrormere and finds the Dimrill Gate overrun with orcs, but watches great dwarf counter-attack. Joins the fray. Stays with Balin for a while, before returning to Erebor by skiriting north of Mirkwood. Last ever seen of Balin and Company.
  • TA 2992 - Corrin establishes his own dwarven mansion, Gryphon Hall, in Erebor on the South-eastern spar of the Lonely Mountain. Starts adopting orphan children of Dale and apprenticing them. Gets rich from percentages given him by grateful humans. Darrin starts business trips of his own.
  • TA 2993-3009 - Business as usual, especially with humans.
  • TA 3009 - "Ride to the Dark Side"

Personality: Friendly dwarf with a good sense of humor, loves making a buck and hoarding riches, but not very greedy and can be very generous with friends or pitiable humans. Loves experimenting with metals and making different types of weapons and armor. Like most dwarves, can walk (not run, mind you) on and on without sleeping, but loves to sleep as much as he can anyway. Not fond of quarreling but loves to join a just fray. Loves to eat, loves to drink, loves to smoke. Loves to travel. Laughs too loudly sometimes when he's drunk. Loves the rain, but hates getting soaked. That's it for now.

Gear: cart with forge, smithy and grindstone, various swords, axes and hatchets (all for sale at reasonable prices); travelling cloak and hood, dwarven armor (hauberk, helmet, mail hose. . . the works), ivory pipe and bag of Tobold pipeweed.

Physical description: Four feet, eight inches hight, long forked and braided beard, brown hair, dressed in brown and green, leather boots with iron greaves, jewel-studded leather belt with gold buckle (engraved on it is the symbol of his hall, as well as some runes in the mode of Erebor)

First post:

It has been a tiring but deeply satisfying few months for the dwarf Corrin. Up and down Dunland, and through the homesteads of Rohan, now enjoying some warm ale and good pipeweed in the White Horse. And such good ale as he hadn't had in a long time, served by such a nice innkeeper, too. Being in the middle of Edoras, he didn't even feel the need to wear his armor; just normal clothes tonight, thank you very much. Aaaaah, yes, the wonderful fact of having sold almost all his wares and enjoying the profits. Nothing can spoil this, thought Corrin.

A woman suddenly burst in and she was obviously distressed. 'Good people of Rohan and guests of the Mark,' she began, 'we are abused and assaulted within our very gates. Our horses have been stolen, four of them mine, those of others as well. One of our own has been wounded. Who will join me in pursuit to recover the horses?' Oh, bother! thought Corrin, And it was turning out to be such a pleasant night, too. He turned to a gaping lad seated beside him, and said, '`Tis a bad thing to steal any of the horses of Rohirrim, you know.'

The lad turned toward him and looked even more surprised. Corrin paid no heed, but added, 'Yes, awful bad thing. Might as well steal one of their women or babies, it doesn't matter.' As he said this thing about women and babies, he thought of his own wife and children, and began to feel hot. 'The Horse-lords will go after 'em like nothing and make 'em pay,' he said, beginning to feel really riled up. 'Maybe,' Corrin added, 'maybe I go with them and test this out.' He was fingering his axe, then looked at the lad he was talking to, but he was gone.

He looked around, making sure that the silly kid didn't just sneak away, but the lad, well, what he thought was a lad was really nowhere in sight. 'Corrin, my boy,' said the dwarf to himself, '`tis a shame that you can no longer hold your liquor, talking to thin air like that.' The initial vengeful reaction gone, he greedily gulped his ale. 'But where's the fun if such good drink doesn't make you imagine stuff awhiles.' He raised his tankard to Bethberry, who smiled back.

By now, others were volunteering to go after the horse thieves and there was a general uproar. Some of the customers were suddenly leaving for the stables, probably to see if at least their horses were spared and left behind. Corrin sighed. 'I guess I can go on one free adventure,' he muttered softly to himself. 'Darrin is still on business and Dáie thinks I shall be returning by spring.' Quickly counting and estimating, he decided to go along with the posse. 'They will need a stout dwarf. Yes, they will.' Basking in his own heroism, and all the ale beginning to go to his head, he went up to his room without informing Bethberry or anyone that he was going. By the time he lay in bed, he had forgotten about the horses and the muster of the posse.

And he snored loudly, too, as only a dwarf can.

The next day, the sun was just about to rise, the posse that left some time before had already followed the trail, and Corrin the dwarf suddenly woke up with a start. He was feeling that he needed to do something important, very important, but he can't remember what.

'Breakfast!' he roared. 'I shall remember when I've had my breakfast.' As was his custom, he started preparing as if to leave. He wore his metal hose, his hauberk, his greaves, but not his helmet. All bundles neatly packed, ready to be heaved on his back, but in the meantime left in his room. He was beginning to feel good again and had forgotten about the posse. 'Tra-la-la-la-la,' he sang on his way down, oblivious to the others who may be sleeping. Hmmmmm... wait a minute, some of the doors are open.

The dining area was, understandably, quiet and almost empty of people, save Bethberry. She seems to have had quite a night, he thought. Looks like she hasn't slept a wink.

'Aaahh! My good innkeeper! Have you got any vittles for a hungry dwarf?' He suddenly felt the nagging doubt in his mind again, that something very important to do. Corrin was suddenly quiet and thoughtful as he went back to the exact same seat he was in the night before. Bethberry quickly brought some food over, as well as ale; too quickly, it seems. The food usually took time to cook. This was still warm. Corrin looked up and instinctly raised his tankard. Bethberry smiled back. He looked to where the gaping lad sat the night before.

And suddenly it all memory of the night before hit him so hard that he actually fell out of his chair. 'Foolish dwarf! There is no time for dilly-dallying!' He motioned to Bethberry, and roared, 'Ho! Inkeeper! Some provisions, if you please, for a week or two of hot pursuit.' Corrin's voice was shrill with dismay and hurry; he hated being left behind for any reason. 'Weapons! I need my weapons!' He ran back up and rummaged through his pack, taking one two-handed battle-axe, two smaller throwing axes, and finally his short broad sword and buckler shield.

Having these, he ran out of the door. And then ran back in. 'Of all the bother in this world!' he exclaimed as he shoved his helm on. He ran down the steps, and then fell down the rest of the way. He rolled back into a standing position and then faced Bethberry, whose hands were on her hips.

'Please, tell me where they went! I can catch up with them, dwarves need no sleep and I, we, can march day and night!' He took a step closer, his voice urgent and pleading. 'They will have to rest soon; I can catch up with them! I can! Please, tell me where they went and let me go, too.'
=============================================
I really hope this works out. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Sorry for the very long post. Didn't realize it was already this long, but I dare not edit anything out anymore. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Sorry.

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Gryphon Hall ]
Old 01-03-2003, 12:20 PM   #73
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Lovely post, Gryphon Hall and a thoughtful, imaginative character. Welcome to the game.

I can add this to the Ride game, after one of my posts, to fit in chronologically, with the notation that it is yours. Okay with you?

Feel free to ride hastily to catch up. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Old 01-03-2003, 01:48 PM   #74
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sadbh has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*is frozen for a minute*

Oh well, didn't really need that character anyway... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

But it was an excellent post, Barrow Wight.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:53 PM   #75
Estel the Descender
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I have to place my first post here because if I added it to the RPG proper it might seem out of place. But this post will continue into the post I will be placing in the RPG.

A rider rode up Edoras on his way to Meduseld with disturbing news to Théoden King: Théodred's company had discovered the presence of Easterlings on the east bank of the Entwash. The rider had riden full speed along the road from the Entwade all night and had just arrived dawn. Leaving all his weapons by the doorway, he hurriedly walked up to the dais where the king sat. Théoden seemed to be awake for some time now. The riser bowed low.

'Arise, Béowulf sister-son,' said the king, 'What news from my son?'

'My king,' began Béowulf, 'I regret to inform you of the presence of strangers upon the east bank of Entwash. . .'

'Easterlings?' said Théoden.

'Aye, my liege,' answered Béowulf, 'But how did you know?'

'A bunch of thieves stole horses from the stables of the White Horse ere ye came,' said the king, 'Already a posse has gone in pursuit of the robbers.'

'My liege,' stammered Béowulf, 'I ask leave to overtake the posee so that I may join the chase. I fear that my news hath come too late.'

'It is well, my son,' said Théoden, 'ye have leave. But refresh yourself first ere ye continue on this journey, for I deem that ye have not eaten supper.

After eating his breakfast, Béowulf rearmed himself and mounted Léod and started to ride down Edoras. He was delayed from going out the gate, however, by a cart which was driven by a dwarf.

'Out-of-the-way-halfling!' shouted Béowulf, 'I am already quite delayed and need no further delaying!'

Corrin shuddered with rage and shouted back, 'Halfling?! HALFLING?! You will regret your words, horse-master, but I will not dally with you now, for I too am in a hurry: I have thieves to catch. But once I have caught them, I WILL DEAL WITH YOU, YOU PALE-FACE!'

'Indeed,' retorted Béowulf, 'ever has a dwarf been so-o-o protective of his own property. . .'

'NOT MY OWN, BUT YOURS!' cried the dwarf, 'Horses were stolen from the White Horse where I was a guest and now I am on my way to overtake and aid the posse that was formed to catch the thieves!' Then added Corrin in a whisper, 'Ungrateful whippersnapper. . .'

Béowulf's eyes flew wide when he heard this and he answered, 'My apologies, sir dwarf, for speaking rashly. I did not know that you were going out of your way to help us. I too am on my way to join the posse. I know that by mine actions I deserve your scorn, but since we have the same errand, let us travel together now and swiftly ere the thieves and the posse get too far ahead.'

'Well, I suppose that we have to hurry,' answered the dwarf, 'But once we have done with this business, I will deal with you!'

'Fair enough,' said Béowulf, 'Though I already repent my harsh words earlier.'

Both rider and dwarf rode out the gates and turned east after passing by the barrows, following the path of the Snowbourne.

The post continues in the RPG. I hope that neither my character nor Corrin are too late to join the fray.

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Estel the Descender ]
Old 01-03-2003, 04:19 PM   #76
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Deorlin: Our posts don't really conflict. I can't see how to change it to make them fit any better unless I just deleted mine.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:28 PM   #77
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Gryphon Hall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Gryphon Hall
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
Bethberry--
Lovely post, Gryphon Hall and a thoughtful, imaginative character. Welcome to the game.
Oh, thank you! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Thank you! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It took me a long time to fix up Corrin's timeline and all that, so thank you.

Quote:
Bethberry--
I can add this to the Ride game, after one of my posts, to fit in chronologically, with the notation that it is yours. Okay with you?
Okay? Why, I am delighted, my dear inn-keeper!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Hello again, Estel [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Meneg Suilaid, or something. Thank you once again for your interest in one of my characters, and I love the way you handled their first meeting. Corrin wasn't driving a cart, though. He was running. He left most of his belongings in his room in The White Horse and his cart parked in front, hopefully to be taken care of by the inn-keeper Bethberry. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Oi, bok! Kelan ba lalabas 'yung proposal mo, ha?
Old 01-03-2003, 04:49 PM   #78
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sadbh has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orofacion, not to be picky, but I didn't follow the wargs into the woods. Acording to Barrow Wight:

Quote:
Sadiya smartly chose not to follow.
Wait a second... don't I get a say in what my character does? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (Just kidding)

I'm not trying to be trouble, I'm just a bit confused. That's all... [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2003, 05:28 PM   #79
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Yes, you do get to control your character, Sadbh. Now you are free to pick the man your character would choose. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Everyone,

Please remember to pay careful attention to where all the characters are when your character interact with them in your posts. Read all the posts carefully. This is tricky because there are two "plot" lines. And we are having some complications and obstacles just to spice up the fun a bit. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Oro, could you make that edit to correct for Sadiya's position? Thanks.

And Deorlin, you have abandoned your charges. Are you sure this is a good idea?

Helkahothion, do you have any other posts to make?

Your friendly Rohan backstage conspirator,
Bethberry

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-03-2003, 06:50 PM   #80
Estel the Descender
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hello Gryphon Hall,

Quote:
Thank you once again for your interest in one of my characters, and I love the way you handled their first meeting. Corrin wasn't driving a cart, though. He was running. He left most of his belongings in his room in The White Horse and his cart parked in front, hopefully to be taken care of by the inn-keeper Bethberry.
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Ok-ay. . . I'm editing the first and last paragraphs of the second part of my post:

After eating his breakfast, Béowulf rearmed himself and mounted Léod and started to ride down Edoras. He was delayed from going out the gate, however, when a dwarf suddenly cut in front of Léod.

. . .

Both rider and dwarf went out the gates and turned east after passing by the barrows and crossing the Snowbourne Bridge, following the path of the Snowbourne. The Rider rode while the dwarf ran.

I hope this would do. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Estel the Descender ]