User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2003, 08:49 PM   #81
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dôranna had been concentrating on keeping her breathing deep and regular, and on keeping her strides long and smooth. She was not an excellent runner, as her peers in Lorién and Rivendell measured it, but she was certainly one of the fastest among the Hunted.

"So," Lanbriel asked suddenly, "were you two surprised to get chosen? Or was it something that was sure to happen?"

Dôranna laughed, a little roughly. "It was not a surprise at all. I had heard rumours that I was to be chosen, but it was only a matter of time. I'd evaded it for a long time. I've been a slave longer than any of you have been alive."

Santiara looked away uncomfortably, and Lanbriel's green eyes were a little wary. Dôranna frowned, and regretted her words. She should not have been so harsh; Lanbriel was a girl, and Santiara scarcely more than one herself. She said, more gently: "No, I was not surprised. I was only lucky that I wasn't chosen sooner." She looked around at her fellow Hunted, and her mouth hardened into a thin line. As far as she could tell, the eldest was Manituros, and he was not even thirty. Had she known his parents? Yes, actually, she supposed that she had. If he was the same man she thought he was, she had helped his grandmother when she was giving birth to his mother. She sighed heavily. Life and death, and death, and death...how old was the girl, Haven? Thirteen? No, fifteen. She remembered now. Too much pain. Too much death.

"Dôranna?" Lanbriel's hesitant voice broke into her thoughts, and she suddenly realized that there was a hot tear running down her cheek. "Are you all right?"

"I'll be all right if you are," Dôranna replied, trying to sound stoic. She just hoped that she didn't sound as shaken as she really was.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:48 PM   #82
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Several hours of steady riding brought them nearer the Outer Fence of Mordor. The Shadow Mountains were rightly named as they loomed tall and craggy above the broad ashy plain. The sun, in its westward course, threw the shadows of the range eastward, reaching out for both the hunters and the hunted alike.

Late afternoon was tending toward evening as Rhûnnaro called a halt to their progress. They had traveled more westerly than south thus far and in the distance they saw, where the evening shadows had not yet hidden things from view, a small cloud of ash taken up on the breeze and above, the circling of a lone scavenger bird.

‘Look!’ Rhûnnaro’s head nodded toward the small disturbance. ‘The death bird circles lazily and keeps his sharp eyes fixed on something of interest below.’

‘The slaves have no water or food. They must have run all day and now are starting to lag. Do you think it is them, or the Hunters?’ Tenzin sat easily on his horse, his eyes sweeping the western edge of the mountains for any other clues.

‘Not the Hunters. The cloud of dust would be larger from the movement of the horses. I think they are farther north of us, having moved directly west of where we started.’ Rhûnnaro narrowed his eyes, as if to pierce the small dusty cloud. ‘Perhaps the girl made use of the map I tossed her.’ He loosed the long knife at his belt, making it an easy draw.

‘Have your bow ready. Let us see who travels there before us. Perhaps they can be useful to us.’

^*^*^*^*^*^*^

The sun had gone down further by the time they approached their quarry. Five sets of hastening footprints became clearer in the ashy ground, with one other showing the larger prints of one who dragged his right leg somewhat. The slaves, exhausted from their day of running, had thrown themselves down in the shallow protection afforded by an outcropping of rocks which formed a small semicircular barrier from prying eyes to the east and north.

Rhûnnaro pulled two small bags from his saddle pack, and secured them to his belt. He clasped his knfe in his teeth and motioning Tenzin to stay back on his horse, arrow nocked in readiness, he climbed quietly up the rocky structure and looked down into the shadows at the sleeping slaves.

He threw the two bags into their midst while crying out in a loud voice. ‘Stand, slaves, and speak to me . . .

[ May 15, 2003: Message edited by: Envinyatar ]
Old 05-16-2003, 11:17 AM   #83
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Fionel heard footsteps, but lay still. It could be one of the others....Valar, please let it be one of the others...

Then something heavy dropped on the ground less than a metre from her feet by the sound of it. No, not one of the others, they don't have anything that heavy. She reached out and grasped the nearest thing to hand, her eyes still closed so the moonlight could not reflect against them. Alright, Fionel, after three, stand and confront them...

One.
Two.
Thre-

"Stand slaves and speak to me."

The voice made Fionel jump and she swore. A man's voice, and an easterling at that. She turned and stood in one smooth movement, the sharp stone in front of her. Luckily it was quite weighty, and sharp enough to inflict some damage. But what she saw in front of her shocked her completely. She gasped, then managed to speak.

"You!" She exclaimed. "The...the man who gave m-us the map." She fumbled in her belt and pulled out the folded piece of paper. She looked back at the man, and his familiar features were quite calm, calm and handsome. But his voice...that too was familiar. Her mind's eye zipped back to the cloaked figure who had stopped the soldiers whipping her after the ceremony. She examined his face carefully. "What is it that you want?"

Envinyatar's post

‘I want you to wake the others and get them to eat. You will need the energy if you are to escape from the Hunters.’ He stepped closer to the edge of the overhang and threw down two small waterskins. She caught them easily and lowered them to the ground. ‘Drink sparingly,’ he warned her. ‘The nearest water is a small stream a half-days journey from here, where you can refill them.’

He motioned for her to climb up to where he stood. Taking her map, he pointed out their position. Then, moving his finger from there to a position south and west, he showed her the narrowing in the chain of mountains. ‘This is where the River Poros runs down to the Great River, the Anduin as those in the West call it. My boy and I are heading there, and then straight west to the Anduin and Minas Tirith. If you wish you may join us.’

Rhûnnaro directed her attention to the other sack he had thrown down. ‘Arm them. You will have need of them before the journey is through.’

The short, sharp call of a bush-bird made him crouch low – a warning signal from Tenzin. ‘Get down!’ he hissed. Grasping her arm, he pulled her close beside him. ‘Something comes. Go back and wake the others. I’ll see to it.’

[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]

[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 05-19-2003, 03:56 PM   #84
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ranchard had broken away from the main group of Hunters, Ekatran had allowed him to but warned him to be cautious. Grunting Ranchard had turned his horse away and sped off.

And now it seemed to have paid off.

Ranchard sat at the top of a small hill looking down on the slaves and a... hunter? What was happening thought the bulky man scatching his head. He decided to make his way slowly down to get a closer look.

Sliding down like a snake he approched the group in complete silence. In his teeth he had his curved knife and now Ranchard lay but ten feet from the other Hunter who had his back to him. He tried to listen to what was being said but the whispers were too low for even his ears to make out. Thoughts began swimming in his mind, why was the hunter talking to them, should he attack him, attack a slave, stay hidden or perhaps go back and find Ekatran? Eventually Ranchard's numerous animal instincts kicked in and he decided to fight, the traitor would die first.

Inch by inch he slowly raised his massive body in silence, until he was crouching. He took the knife from his teeth and pointed it out in front of him ready to strike. Suddenly like a coiled spring he sprinted towards the other easterling, still in silence. As the blade was inches from the back of the victim a slave caught sight of him and let out a scream. Rhûnnaro spun and caught Ranchard's outstrechted arm before landing a punch on the hunters face. As Ranchard fell backwards Rhûnnaro continued to attack him before Ranchard finally fell over in pain. Rhûnnaro took some rope from his pack.

"Help me tie him up," he said to the slaves.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:06 PM   #85
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

He had not had time to descend back to the floor of the plain from the rocky outcropping before the man sprang at him. He heard the cry of the slave and turned quickly. Moonlight glinted against the swiftly advancing blade. He stepped to the side to avoid the steely bite, throwing up his arm to catch the arm that held the blade and deflect it. He swung his fist, meeting the jaw of the attacker. Then pounced on the downed man, giving him several hard blows to the head.

‘Ranchard!’ he spat out.

Rhûnnaro took the coil of thin, strong rope that hung across his chest. Throwing it to the girl who had come up near them, her small knife drawn, he told her to tie him up. ‘Help her,’ he ordered the other slaves who had drawn near . . .

[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: Envinyatar ]
Old 05-20-2003, 02:07 AM   #86
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

It was now what seemed the middle of the night, and Shivana lifted her head from the rough ground. She gazed a round for a second.

"Get up!" she shouted, standing up and looking around frantically. The others ceased to do this, "Getup, get up!" she shouted breaking the silence for the second time. They finally lifted their heads, but the other hunters seemed none to happy. They turned on her, their faces full with irritation.

“What Shivana? Are the bugs bitting?” Kherug said, taunting her with his sarcastic words. She drew her dagger, poised to throw it but she felt a hand on her shoulder holding her back. She tried to resist it but the grip was too strong. She turned around to see the stern face of Ekatran.

“No, you will not fight him.” she lowered her dagger down to her side, and shot a look of sheer malaice towards Kherug. But she would not dare disobey Ekatran. “ Now what is it you have to say? Why did you wake us?” hi9s voice boomed loudly across the warn night air.

“Look around you!” she said trying not to sound too cynical towards Ekatran.

“What?” asked Dorlas, speaking for the first time since they had left.

“She is right, did you see them leave?” asked Ekatran, he seemed to be the only other that noticed the other threes disappearance.

“No, I did not. Did any of you two see them leave?” she said quietly. Now they had seem to caught on and they looked round.

“Er…..no,” said Dorlas, Kherug shook his head.

“Then I say we continue, leave them to their hunting. I doubt they will find anything. We will still head west in the morning, towards the mountains.” and with that final comment from Ekatran, the now four hunters fell to their beds and lay til morning.

[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 05-20-2003, 01:58 PM   #87
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

Lanbriel awoke from a long, dreamless sleep. She opened her eyes, and looked around. The other slaves were still asleep. She decided, that since there was nothing better to do, she would keep the guard. She was about to get up when somebody's footsteps came slowly, approaching her position. Suddenly, a man cried to the slaves. Lanbriel wanted to gasp, but the better of her senses kept her quiet.

The man, she realized was a one of the easterlings - a hunter. She moaned to herself, thinking that they were caught. Then, to her surprise, Fionel stood up and began talking to the hunter. She showed him her map, and he was seemingly pointing at some position. Lanbriel guessed that it was theirs. Suddenly, she noticed a shadow creeping across the moonlit gound behind the hunter.

Before her thoughts had time to tell her what it was, she saw it. She saw the blade, the gleaming, silver blade, shimmering in the moonlight. And where was the blade headed? Directly for the hunter. Her first reaction was a scream.

"Watch out!"

She shouted. She had only realized that she had prevented a killing of a bitter enemy when the hunter turned around, and somehow managed to get rid of the blade and punch the attacking man in the jaw. She then came up to him.

"Why are you here? You're a hunter!"

He just ignored her, and reached for some rope wrapped about the fallen man's chest. Then, he threw the rope to Lanbriel and gestured for her to tie the rope around the man on the ground. After his command for the other slaves to help her, they all rushed in like waves wash in to beach-rocks.

[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: kittiewhirl1677 ]

[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: kittiewhirl1677 ]
Old 05-20-2003, 02:30 PM   #88
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Fionel stepped back as the slaves rushed forward, all grabbing the ropes and trying to wrap it as tightly around the fallen hunter as tightly, quickly and, yes, painfully as possible. She stepped back, but didnt stand too close to Rhunnaro, simply watching him. His dark eyes turned towards her and she became all the surer that he was the one who had stopped her beating. He smiled slightly, and Fionel found herself once again thinking of how he actually saw her, how he saw all the slaves. Animals? Prey? Why, did they even seem human to him at all?

She opened her mouth, then shut it again. She had just noticed the other man, standing behind Rhunnaro, olive skinned and handsome. Dont be ridiculous. She snapped at herself. But it would be so nice to be loved again...

She looked back at Rhunnaro, shaking herself mentally. A pause, then she spoke. "Sir-" She stopped herself, then carried on. She would not call any easterling sir, but this man had earned her respect, although for what reason, she did not know. "Did you...on the night of the Hunt...were you behind the stage? I mean...were you in the back corridors?"

Rhunnaro frowned slightly, but still retained that half smile, his expression saying that he had certainly not expected this question. "An odd question, lady. Why is it that you ask?"

Lady?! Vala, how long is it since last you were called that?! "If you were and are who I think you may be, I think you will know."

Rhunnaro let his smile widen slightly, then opened his mouth to answer. "I-"

A strange, almost inhuman sound rent the air, and Fionel whirled around to see the fallen man writhing like a beast. Some of the slaves were stepping back slightly- habit told them that they should not be doing this to their master- but Desolyn and Lanbriel clung on, one on each arm. Fionel didnt hesitate, and neither did Rhunnaro, as they approached quickly, and the other man who Rhunnaro was with handed Fionel a weapon- a sword. She had never held one before, but unsheathed it quickly, holding it out with a perfectly steady hand, the tip only inches from the fallen man's chin.

"Stay very still." She said quietly. But the insanity that Fionel had seen in his eyes also ruled Ranchard's mind, and still she tried to shake Desolyn and Lanbriel off. He moved slightly to one side, shaking his head, and Fionel moved the sword- her sword- at the same time, causing the tip to nick his cheek, drawing a small line of blood along just under his eye. He gasped and snarled at her. The other slaves also gasped- first blood.

"Well I did tell you to stay still." Fionel said, her voice still calm. But there was a sense of unease was growing in her- she had enjoyed that. She was almost tempted to cut the man again, to make him hurt for the pain his race had caused, but then she sensed Rhunnaro watching her very carefully. And she saw the madness inside Ranchard's eyes... Suddenly, the anger she had expected came into play and she moved the sword forward, until it was right under Ranchard's chin. "If you don't stay still, I will make you feel the pain of your own whips!" She turned to Rhunnaro. "Alright, just what exactly are we supposed to do now?!"
Old 05-20-2003, 03:08 PM   #89
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

‘Now?,’ he said, turning to Tenzin, and motioning him closer, ‘Now we gag him. I don’t want his cries alerting anyone.’ Tenzin pulled his knife and cut cloth from Ranchard’s clothing. Shoving a wad of it in the protesting man’s mouth he bound it in with another strip tied securely at the back of his head.

Rhûnnaro crouched down close to Ranchard. His face expressionless, no hint of mercy in his eyes. Tenzin and he turned him to his stomach, and wrenching his massive arms behind his back, bound them together, his thumbs caught painful in loops that sent stabbing pain through him if he moved them overmuch. His ankles were bound tightly with rope, and once done, they hauled him to a sitting position, propping his back against the rocks.

Tenzin leaned in and spoke quietly, in their own language, to Rhûnnaro. The older man’s head nodded once as Tenzin drew away, walking rapidly toward his horse.

‘He will brew a little draught for him, something to tame the beast that rides him. Ranchard will sleep while you eat,’ he told the cluster of slaves that stood a little way off, frightened.

He held his hand out for the sword that the girl still clung to, its point resting on the ashy ground. ‘You know my name, Lady, do you not? But I have quite forgotten yours. My apologies.’ He smiled at her, his eyes glinting with amusement in the moonlight . . .

*^*^*^*^*^*

‘Here,’ Tenzin said, throwing a kindling flint to one of women. ‘Gather some sticks, get a small fire going. I will need hot water for infusing the herbs. . .’

[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: Envinyatar ]
Old 05-20-2003, 04:25 PM   #90
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Haven had been the only one of the slaves not to help bind the crazy Ranchard to the ground. She had been to scared. The noises that had awoken her from a fitful, restless sleep had frightened and shocked the palace slave into paralysis. Haven waited while her fellow slaves tied back the writhing hunter, rocking back and forth to comfort herself.

This is too much. I can't do this anymore! Haven wailed to herself, watching intently in case she should have to jump up and bolt away if Ranchard escaped. The other slaves hardly noticed her uninvolvement with the capturing of Rancherd, but for that Haven was at least a bit glad.

"Here," one of the two seemingly friendly hunters had said to Haven, tossing a strange rock to her. "Gather some sticks, get a small fire going. I will need hot water for infusing the herbs. . ."

Haven's brows were raised in confusion. She pointed to herself, and mouthed 'Me?' to the hunter.

"Yes you! Now get moving," he replied, and Haven scurried off into the darkness, looking for dry twigs.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:50 AM   #91
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Fionel hung onto the sword tightly, possesive of it. Its mine, no easterling will take this away from me as well...

Realising suddenly, she blushed slightly in the darkness, and held the sword out to him, the pommel towards him, leaving her body open to an attack- all he would need to do was push to sword forward. In this way, she showed her trust.

Rhunnaro took the sword from her, inclining his head. "You know my name, Lady, do you not? But I have quite forgotten yours. My apologies."

Was that amusement in his eyes? Was he playing with her? Fionel controlled herself, forcing herself not to blush, for he would be able to see even in thr darkness. "My name is Fionel. And although you do not know me, my thanks to you, for tonight and for...for the Night of the Selection."

Rhunnaro watched her, his eyes glinting in the moonlight as if he was wondering whether to admit it. Then he smiled back, his quiet, calm smile. "My pleasure, Lady. These things have gone on for far too long without anyone doing anything."

Fionel couldnt hold back the blush this time, and looked towards Ranchard at this moment. She felt her lip curl up into a sneer as she looked at him. "The...man. What shall we do with him?"

Rhunnaro's eyes hardened now, the amusement and friendliness gone. "I care not. He is not himself- has not been for years. Some insanity rides him, the same that is inside all the Hunters."

Fionel shot a glance at the man, but he seemed not to have noticed the irony in what he had said. She tried to build up the courage to say something, but there was a strange feeling inside her stopping her. It was not the feeling of a master and a slave, it was something else...her face began to redden again, but Haven distracted the moment then, as she ran back. Fionel turned, and felt her hand clench where the outline of the sword had been, and she felt so vulnerable.

"Hunters! Hunters...they..they are coming, and....and...Hunters!" She stammered, out of breath, before coming to the definite conclusion. Fionel shot a look at Rhunnaro, and the man lost his composure for once, swearing quietly under his breath. Then he turned, speaking to Tenzin in their own tongue, but not too loud. Fionel closed her eyes. Just when it was going well...
Old 05-21-2003, 02:02 PM   #92
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

They were gathering food, herbs, and wood for fire. Lanbriel looked around herself, trying to find something to do.

Ever since the two friendly hunters had joined them, she started feeling safer. She was still suspicious, but as time passed, she began to enjoy the hunters. They were the first people in a long while who actually adressed the slaves as if they were equals.

Now, she thought, I think we might have a chance with all these weapons and supplies at our hands.

She smiled at this happy thought, and walked over to the older hunter.

"Anything I can do to help?"

She asked.

"A few others already went to find more wood for our fire, but you may certainly join them."

"Thankyou... Rhunnaro? Is it not?"

She dismissed herself from his company, and walked off into the woods.

She also managed to grab a medium-lengthed dagger on the way, which looked more like a short sword. She didn't get many chances to practice her skill with any kind of weapon, but she had watched the soldiers practice their skills with a blade and had learned a few things.

Satisfied with her supply, she quickly advanced into the thick bushes and trees ahead of her. She was still aware of the possibility that the hunters had tracked them all the way. She kept glancing about her, thinking that she was being tracked. Although renewed after the sleep, Lanbriel still felt worn out and tired, and the increasing number of logs she carried didn't help her much.

--*--*--*--*--

She had been picking up logs, bringing them to the campsite, and going back for more. Back and forth like this for a long time. She had then finally gone back for her final handfull of logs, when suddenly, she heared hooves approaching. She knew that the only people who would be around in the forest at this time, with horses- many horses at that, were... the hunters! She looked back at the path she had came from.

No, it would take too long to run back. Even running at her fastest speed would kill her. They would hear her, and go faster. No, she had to hide.

She looked about her frantically, and noticed a tree with a hollow spot in the middle. She carefully made her way to the giant trunk, avoiding to fall over any unseen roots.

She couldn't really tell what was where in this dark. Especially since the trees blocked off any light the moon would have to offer.

Then,she felt her way across the roots. Hand over hand, she managed to climb up the protruding branches. Some were too small, and she felt their weak grips start to fail.

She was almost there, when it happened. She had underestimated the strength of a small, leefless branch when it started to break. The loud, crackling sound grew ever louder as the branch started to bang against the leaves of the other branches and the tree itself. Lanbriel quickly took off her hand, and attempted to grasp another branch.

Now, the branch attatched to her other hand started failing too. She quickly swung her free hand at the opening-but missed. Then, she tried it again. The second attempt succeeded, and she quickly swung her other hand over and into the hollow depth of the tree. She then used all the strength she could muster, and threw her body deep down, into the dark, leafy trunk.

She tried to move, but that only made her faint faster. She thought she had probably broken a leg, or an arm. She couldn't tell now. Darkness took her.

[ May 21, 2003: Message edited by: kittiewhirl1677 ]
Old 05-21-2003, 02:21 PM   #93
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Dôranna shot a scowl back at the camp as she left to collect firewood. Why was Rhunnaro helping them? It made no sense. No sense at all. And why, in the name of all that was holy, why was Fionel trusting him? Well, yes, he had helped them dispose of Ranchard, but it could all be a front. It could all have been planned. Being overly trusting was a good thing, if you felt like dying.

She swatted a branch away from her face, and cursed under her breath as it tangled in her hair. Her legs ached, her nose was still stinging from the day's fresh sunburn, and she was in a sullen temper. Still, she felt more alive than she had in ages. She had a purpose now, a mission. Something to live for, maybe.

She shook her head to clear it of those foolish thoughts. There was no time for idle dreaming, not while Rhunnaro was in the camp, and the other Hunters Valar-only-knew how close. She had firewood to collect, and it wouldn't collect itself while her head was up in the clouds.

Suddenly she heard a great cracking sound from overhead, and she whipped out her dagger, breathing hard. A crash came after it, and she ran over, her knife still in her hand, to where the sound came from.

She pushed the brush aside and peered cautiously out from behind a near-dead tree, and gasped when she saw Lanbriel, sprawled out on the ground. She quickly approached, knelt down, and checked the girl's pulse. She was alive, but unconscious. Dôranna heaved a sigh of relief, and began feeling for broken bones. She had only gotten up to Lanbriel's left forearm when she heard something in the distance. Not far enough away for comfort, though, and the Elf froze, her dagger ready. She narrowed her ice-blue eyes, and stood in front of Lanbriel, preparing herself to do something she had not done in a long time, something that she dearly hoped that she remembered how to do: fight.

[ May 21, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 05-21-2003, 07:28 PM   #94
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Lanbriel stirred slightly, thinking that she was in a long, terrible dream. She carefully opened her eyes, and looked about. She saw someone in front of her- but her blurred vision wouldn't give way, so she could not make out who it was. In the distance, she heard sounds of hooves. Then, something made her realize what had happened.

She quickly gathered herself up, and rubbing her sores, stood behind the other girl, who she finally recognized as Doranna. The elf looked back, surprised at Lanbriel's sudden comeback.

"They... they're coming." Lanbriel whispered to the other girl.

"I know. And there's nothing, nothing we can do."

Lanbriel hated to admit it, but unless the others suddenly realised that the two were missing and quickly managed to come to their aid, they were definately dead.

"I've got an idea. Pick up some rocks, throw them as far as you can. Deeper into the forest. It will lead the hunters away from us."

Lanbriel whispered quickly, still keeping in touch with the continuous beat of the horses' hooves.

"Here, I found a large one."

Lanbriel quickly motioned for Doranna to help her pick it up. Since they had been standing on a hill, their task was more than clear. Together, they lifted the rock, and threw it as high up as they could. Luckily, the hill was long and steep. The rock flew a for a long time, and at the distant bottom, made a loud crashing noise. Then, as this hill was still pretty steep in that area, the rock kept rolling down. Luckily for the two girls, it made some very loud noises banging into trees and other huge stones on the way.

At first, Lanbriel was afraid that the rock didn't make any impact at all in the hunter's direction. But gradually, she noticed that the sound of hooves was growing fainter.

"We did it!"

Lanbriel whispered, still carefull to not suddenly give in their position. They truly had succeeded, because in no time, they heard a loud voice screaming,

"Search! They could not have gotten far."

This distraction proved to be enough. As quick as rabbits, the girls shot off to the camping area.

"THE HUNTERS!"

They cried in unsion.

"They're coming!"

Fionel was the first to approach, Haven by her side.

"We know, Haven heared them approaching."

"We... I.... I heared them coming, and I tried to climb a tree and... I..."

Lanbriel breathlessely tried to tell Fionel, but she just couldn't seem to finish.

"Here, have some water."

The two girls quickly drank the cool, refreshing liquid. Then they quickly told the story, and they all immediately began to plan and prepare.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:20 AM   #95
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

The hunters continued. They had awoken with no sign of the other three returning, and Ekatran had made it clear that they were not going to wait for them. Shivana did not totally agree with this, but she would not dare challenge him, ever. Before they had left she sat and watched the sun rise. As she did, she toyed with her daggers, slowly spinning them mindlessly, as she stared into the hot rising sun. Her eyes had glinted with hate, she wanted to kill. It had been too long since she had last done it and animals did not satisfy her hunger. She slowly lifted one of her daggers and placed it against her left hand. Then cupping her hand around it, she cut her self slowly. Blood oozed from her clenched fist, and she laughed. She watched it drip momentarily, then when Ekatran’s command came to leave she got up and went to her horse.

It had been a while now and the cut was forming a crimson scab across her hand. She had done it because she was bored, and she had to hold herself back from attacking that smart mouthed Kherug.

“Stop,” whispered Ekatran, bringing his horse to a halt. The other quickly obeyed his command. “Listen,” they all were silent and listened to the hanging morning air. They heard soft footsteps, and then they quickly moved to the forest.

“Into the forest!” shouted Dorlas. And the galloped off in that direction. Shivana hung behind, her eyes searching the area. She could not see anything, though she knew there was something there. She quickly followed the rest into the forest.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:37 AM   #96
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Dorlas had led the hunters into thick forest, and Kherug rode swiftly behind him. Ekatran rode hard, but stayed behind them, he was uncomfortable in these woods and slowed his pace.

Shivana approached from behind. "My Lord?" she questionned. He shot an icy glare at her then looked upon her hand. Noticing, she clenched her fist around the reins of her horse. "Ranchard" Ekatran started, "I gave him leave, but he was to return. Yet still he remains alone and apart." Shivana could see an ager building in Ekatran's eyes towards Ranchard. She dared not disobey his orders however much she disagreed with them and she pitied the hunter who had.

A snap distracted Ekatran's attention. It came from a small distance ahead of them. Another, Shivana heard it this time and took a dagger from her belt. Ekatran drew his bow and quickly placed an arrow ready to fire. Aiming into the distance he waited. A movement in the leaves ahead prompted Ekatran to fire, but it was nothing more than the breeze. He lowered his bow. "Ahead" he ordered, "quickly" and with that he rode hard, Shivana followed behind.

No more than a minute or two later Ekatran came upon Dorlas, down from his horse, standing next to a fallen Kherug and his steed. Shivana approached and stepped down, a smile came across her face at the sight of a fallen Kherug. Ekatran also dismounted. Pushing the horse aside, Ekatran approached Kherug. "What happened?" he demanded. Kherug was holding at his arm. "Traps my lord" was his quick reply, "the horse fell pray and I along with it." He bowed his head. It seemed his pride was the only real damage from his fall. Ekatran pulled him up and used his bow to push around the soil a little. Brushing a few leaves he saw the reminants of traps.

"Well laid for a horse at speed. We've some clever slaves this year." Ekatran was infuriated. "A path leads this way" someone commented quietly. "Nay" he shot back, "they would take a path that led into trees to camp. We leave the horses here and make way in that direction on foot." He pointed into the forest directly between two larger trees at which the land seemed to steep downhill.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:00 PM   #97
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

Chaos had broken out among the slaves. There were cries raised that the Hunters were approaching. ‘No time now for those herbs, Tenzin. Grab your pack and get to your horse.’

Rhûnnaro took to his own mount and surveyed the increasingly disordered scene. Of the seven slaves, two were missing. The rest were in an escalating state of panic, as they began running without direction from the camp. His voice was tight and low, barely audible over the cries of the slaves. ‘We cannot stay to be caught by Ekatran and his madmen. We will head further west into the foothills. Perhaps the girl . . . Fionel . . . can get herself and the others to us.’ He planted the sword she had used earlier upright in the ground. ‘She may have need of this,’ he thought to himself.

Tenzin had brought round his horse, and stood ready to mount up. He paused, pulling his own blade from the sheath at his belt. ‘What about him? Shall I kill him?’

‘Leave him. Let’s go.’

The two rode quickly from the clearing and into the cover of the trees, passing several wild-eyed slaves. One slave, the lone man, limped slowly along as they drew up on him. His right side dragged, and he was bent and tired from the long distance they had already come.

Rhûnnaro pulled his horse beside him and the man halted in his limping advance, looking up into the eyes of the man from Rhûn with hazel eyes quiet and sad, but without fear. An instant of understanding passed between the two men, and Rhûnnaro reached down his hand to grasp the other’s forearm. Moments later, Turos was mounted behind him.

‘Stay quiet. And grasp my belt on either side. We travel quickly.’

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: Envinyatar ]
Old 05-22-2003, 03:39 PM   #98
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

Shivana dismounted her horse and examined the area quickly, no slave trap was going to get her. She walked along slowly searching the ground and the surrounding trees.

“What are you doing?” asked Ekatran, “Why do you leave your horse?” He looked very irritable now and she really did not want to upset him.

“My lord, I am searching for traps…..” she turned back round and quickened her pace “…..and slaves,” she whispered to herself. For a few yards she jogged until she came to a smallish clearing. Ahead she could see a figure struggling on the ground. She broke into a run and came up to the person. It was Ranchard.

“Hello…” she said half laughing at the bonds around him, “slaves too much for you to handle eh?” She stood above him with one hand on her hip, she tilted her head to the side. “Not quite the killer Ekatran thought you were? Not surprised….too full of yourself. ” she smiled as he struggled to untie himself. “Want some help?” she bent down behind him when she heard Ekatran’s voice.

“Stop Shivana!”

[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 05-23-2003, 12:28 PM   #99
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

OCC: The end of this post is about ten minutes before Arien's post.

"This way, quickly, don't panic!" Fionel yelled. Absolutely no attention was paid to her voice of reason. She was about to open her mouth again, when two sticks, abandoned by Haven, caught her eye, forming an idea. Oh, cruel it was, certainly, and unfair, but by Eru it would get them moving...

Grabbing the sticks she held one diagonally across the other, and smacked it down hard, producing a whip-like sound. That was the point- and it worked. The sound of the whip made the slaves quiet immediately, out of habit. Fionel threw the sticks down, but there was no time to apologise. She turned to see if she could spot Rhunnaro or his companion, but as she did so, she stumbled against an object sticking straight up in the ground. A sword- her sword- its hilt pointing slightly in one direction. Fionel followed the way it pointed and, sure enough, saw the two horses making off- but there were three figures. Squinting she saw that one of them held his leg oddly- so Turos was with them. Good. Turning back to the slaves, she waved in that direction.

"Go! Rhunnaro will help us, if we follow him! Go!" Or I hope he will... The slaves surged past her and she followed, in the midst of them. But as Desolyn passed her, Fionel saw the look of disgust on her face- Fionel would pay for the stick trick. But she put it out of her mind for the moment, concentrating on taking her own advice and following the horsemen. But there seemed to be a smaller number of them than before...She did a quick check. Turos was with Rhunnaro, herself, Desolyn, Haven, Santiara...that was only five! She ran through in her mind and realised, even in her panicky state, that Dôranna and Lanbriel were missing.

"Two of us are missing- I'm going back." Fionel turned and began to go and the others, confused, turned with her. Fionel looked desperately at Desolyn and, rolling her eyes, the other took charge, calling to the rest to keep going and follow her. Fionel nodded and turned back. She jogged fast to the camp and scanned the empty clearing, then began to go around the outskirts of the forest. She heard breathing and turned to see Haven- the girl had followed her. She grinned and dipped her head to her, then got back to searching. At that moment, with excellent timing, Lanbriel and Dôranna shot out of the forest, eyes wide, panting. They stuttered and stammered for a moment, before Fionel handed them the water container which she had had the prescence of mind to bring. They gulped at the water and hastily told their story. Fionel nodded grimly. "You did well, and thought quickly. You may have bought us some extra time." She pointed in the direction the others were running. "Go, follow them and Rhunnaro- they will help. I know you're tired, but please. We're coming as well."

Haven also nodded, but there was a strange distraction in her eyes. Suddenly they sharpened, and for a moment were almost pleading. "You will come as well, won't you? Don't leave us Fionel, don't turn to the Hunters."

Fionel stared at her, shocked, then outraged. "How dare you? How could I? And why would you think that-" She looked closely. The impassive look had once more come over Haven's eyes. A shiver ran down Fionel's spine- the Hunt was affected some of them mentally as well as straining them physically. Her voice became more gentle, and she opened her mouth to say she would come as well, when she caught sight of Ranchard.

He was still bound and gagged, and sat on the floor, no longer straining wildly, but watching them, his eyes bright and cruel. Fionel thought of the things she had heard of him, the things he had done, both to animals...and to slaves. He was sitting in the shade of a tree, and from the West, where the others were running, he would not be able to be seen. A glitter in the corner of her vision reminded her that the sword was still there. She paused, the jerked as if she had heard something in the woods, causing the others to do the same. She turned to them, almost working on auto-pilot as a part of her brain which she had never known existed started to come into play, but her voice was perfectly convincing. "They come nearer- go, I will draw them off then follow. Don't worry," She cut off Lanbriel's protests. "I will be fine, I can run fast and I will...do some damage to the Hunters. Go!"

They hovered for a moment, but all three were keen to get away, and this over ruled their concern. Lanbriel grasped Fionel's hands for a moment in a silent blessing, then they were off.

Fionel headed into the forest, counted to five as she waited, then came out. She drew the sword slowly from the ground, she turned to face Ranchard. She paced slowly towards him, the sword still lowered, its point to the ground. Ranchard was still watching her, his eyes impassive and arrogant- he still saw her as nothing, not even a threat, even when she held the sword. When she spoke, the slave's voice was quiet, and a perfect calm had settled over her.

"Are you scared, Ranchard?"

He still just looked at her.

"Are you scared of me, Ranchard, slavemaster?"

Still nothing. She raised the sword, and pointed it towards him, her arm steady. She felt oddly excited, and for the first time, she saw an edge of doubt and, yes, fear in her eyes.

"Do you feel what your victims felt? Oh, but what about now?" Saying so, she nicked his cheek with the tip of the sword, and the shock made the big man reel. Fionel couldnt help the grin which came onto her face.

What if...

The tip of the sword was centimetres from his face, and she moved it slowly from left to right to left, watching his eyes follow it.

What if...

She had the power to make this sadistic creature pay for all the time she had been there, all the family she had lost, all the friends they had killed...

What if....

A noise distracted her, a noise from the forest, and she jerked forward as if something in her had changed. Her arm suddenly began to shake as she realised what she had almost done, and she almost dropped the sword. Aye, what if...what if she had lost her soul there, what if she had killed him...

What if she had become as bad as him?

Grasping the sword still, she turned and ran.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:21 PM   #100
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Santiara watched as Fionel ran off to the forest to find Lanbriel and Dôranna.
Moments later Haven turned around and ran after her. "Haven!" She cried out to her, "Fionel is fine on her own! Don't go!" but the girl had already ran on without listening to her. She was about to follow her but she looked ahead and saw that Des and Rhûnnaro were getting further and further away.
Reluctantly she turned her back to the forest and ran after Des and the Easterling man.

"Desolyn!" she panted when she finally caught up with her. "Haven went after Fionel, I tried to stop her but she couldn't hear me."

[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 05-23-2003, 07:57 PM   #101
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Dorlas sensed something was about to happen. He could not help but smile at this insanity. Perhaps he would catch one of those fools. Yes, those fools. He grinned to himself and looked to Shivanna. She was stretched out like a cat ready to pounce. Something told him--not for the first time--that sheb would have made a better wife. . .but that was nothing. Now was the time for glory.

"For Galéwyn!" cried he in his eagerness, and whipped up his horse. Yes, he would have at least one. . .or at least scare the thing so that it would run and make the Hunt that much sweeter.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:08 AM   #102
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Fionel ran, head down, arms working frantically, not even taking her own advice to go at a normal pace. She had heard them, so close...she swore she had almost been able to hear the horses breathing. She had never thought she could be this afraid, but when they had been that close...

She was only a few paces behind the rest when she heard the Hunters erupt out of the forest. She didn't dare turn around, she simply kept on running, the others around her doing the same. The clearing where the Hunters were was only ten minutes behind her by foot; that distance would be easily eaten up by the horses hooves. It would be easier to just give up now...No! She would not give in, and neither would the others, not until the bitter end, and to be sure that couldnt be far away now...

"They...they aren't catching u-up." Santiara panted. "Should..shouldn't they have...caught up...now?"

Fionel glanced at the other and saw a pleading look in her eyes- the girl wanted - needed - to know where the Hunters were, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. Her eyes silently asked Fionel to do it for her. As if I asked for leadership... Fionel took a breath...but she couldnt do it. She just couldnt do it.

A hill was rising in front of them, and it was only about 20 metres until they would go over the top, putting them out of the sight of the Hunters- not that it would help much. Fionel put on a final spurt, although her legs screamed in protest, and threw herself over, landing on her side, breathing heavily, not able to run for the moment. Seconds later the others did the same, all in a similar state. As they lay there, panting, Fionel shot another look at Santiara. The girl nodded, and together, the pair looked over the top. And below them a grisly sight could be seen coming into play. Something had indeed delayed the Hunters, for they had found Ranchard...
Old 05-24-2003, 05:16 AM   #103
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

“Stop Shivana!”

Ekatran stepped forward as Shivana reclined from the bound Ranchard. "Not quite the hunter I thought you were indeed, Ranchard" he forced the words from his mouth as he contined to walk nearer to him. Ekatran drew his sword from the scabbard at his side.

Holding it at length in front of him Ekatran pushed the blade towards Ranchards face. He ran the cold metal edge along his chin and followed it round to the other side, pushing the head as he went. He noticed blood on one side of Ranchards face, a recent wound. Ekatran let out a laugh.

"Not only do you allow yourself to be captured by them, you let one of the slaves draw your blood? I was mistaken earlier Shivana" he turned to her who was now standing behind him, keeping out of the way. She had heard the stories. Ekatran continued, "I was mistaken, we do not have clever slaves," he turned back to Ranchard, "we've incompetent hunters!" Ekatran's voice seemed to echo through the trees.

He stepped back, his feet fell upon a object which was foreign to the forest floor. Bending down he moved away the leaves and raised a small blade. There was blood on the end. Ekatran stood up. "This? This is what they used?" He forced the blade closer to Ranchard's face, who was clearly now becomming uncomftable and fearful. "The slaves carried no weapons, this blade is one of our own!" he was becoming enraged. He studied it for a moment, then let out a deep breath and clenched the blade firmly in his hand. A crimson stream flowed heavily from the grasp. "Rhunnaro."

That sudden realisation seemed to be the last justification Ekatran needed. Whether it was Ranchard's current situation or the disobedience of Rhunnaro, he didn't care. He dropped the blade and raised his own, paying no heed to the blood which poured from his palm. Stepping again to Ranchard he pushed the blade to his face though was clever to not break the skin, yet. Leaning into Ranchard's face Ekatran opened his mouth to whisper something to him...

"Ekatran, no"

The outburst from behind him caused Ekatran to turn round with great force, and anger, though still pressing the blade firmly against Ranchard's neck.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:57 PM   #104
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

The horses picked their way through the dense cover of the trees. The branches were thick above the three silent riders, cutting out the dim light from above. Ahead they saw a greater light. A clearing, it was, near the edge of the foothills, a rocky outcropping defining its farther edge.

‘Bring the horses round to the opposite side there, out of sight for any who approach.’ The two urged their horses round the edge of the clearing, taking care not to leave tracks in the dirt and grassy areas where the trees had stopped.

‘We can regroup here. When there is a little more light, I’ll go back and find the others.’ Or what remains of them . . . he thought grimly to himself.

Turos was assisted to the ground. He and Tenzin shared a few sips from a water skin and a piece of traveler’s bread, then rested, their backs against the stone in the rocky lee.

Rhûnnaro climbed to the top of the rocks, keeping low, his senses alert for any sounds or movement from the east.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:22 PM   #105
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Santiara's legs were aching from running up the hill, her feet were covered in blisters from her sandals which were slowly falling apart. The slaves were sprawled on the ground, all of them so tired from running.

Fionel hadn't said anything but the look in her eyes had told Santiara more than enough. The hunters had been close behind her alright, she could see the fear in her eyes.

"We can't stay here long." She said quietly, voicing what everyone was thinking, but even the thought of running again made her feel sick. Peeking back down the hill, Santiara could hear a shout...A hunter.

[ May 24, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 05-24-2003, 03:49 PM   #106
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Haven panted uncontrollably. The second she had thrown herself over the hill was the second she let every muscle relax. She let herself roll halfway down the hill, and watched as a few of the other slaves came tumbling after. They all laid there, sprawling over the hill, tired to the point of temporary paralysis.

This is too much. Haven thought to herself. It was all too much to bear...almost. Haven felt like sleeping, but her aching leg muscles were in so much pain she could only lay wide-eyed and stare at the sky. Haven felt like screaming with all her frustration, but did not want to confuse any of her fellow slaves.

"We can't stay here long." Haven almost thought she had only imagined Santiara's voice nearby. The girl's voice echoed in Haven's ears and sounded eerily strange in the silence that had enveloped Haven's senses. Just as Santiara had spoken, a loud cry rang out over the hilltop.

"We've got to go," Haven heavily breathed out the words, the words everyone feared to hear one more time and still acknowledged as the only thing to do. "Now."

No one but Haven made an immediate move to leave. Haven felt as though she was the most run-down of all the slaves, and still she knew that every other slave in the group wanted freedom - and they wouldn't get it by sitting around catching their breath. Haven had the distinct urge to discard her torn sandals, but knew that would be foolish, and only a sign to the hunters of which way they had gone.

"Get up!" Haven cried wearily. Fionel jumped up, and the other slaves followed her example. Everyone followed Fionel's example. It was as if there had been some silent unanimous vote that she be the role model of the hunted slaves. "Lets go!"

[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 05-25-2003, 08:46 AM   #107
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Lanbriel ran on, not looking back - afraid to see who, or what was behind her, looking ahead, to the free lands that could be hers to wander someday. If only...if only she made it now.

The slaves were coming upon a hill. She saw the front ones jumping right over it. She followed their example, and soon enough felt herself rolling crazily down the other side. Although this was causing her much pain, ripping open old whip-scars, her muscles didn't have the power to stop her. She just let herself reach the bottom, and lie there for a few seconds.

Then she suddenly realized what she was doing. Only two or three seconds had passed since she reached the bottom, and she was already half asleep.

"No!" She said quietly, getting up.

She looked around herself. Beside her, a few of the slaves were cautiously getting up. At the top of the hill were Fionel and Santiara, looking over, apparently to check on the hopefully negative process of the hunters.

Forcing every muscle in her body to obey, she carefully got on all fours, and clambered up the hill. The hill was small, so she got to the top quickly. She popped her head up beside the two slaves, and looked over at the partly grassy terrain ahead.

At first, there was not much to see as part of the field was covered with lush, thick foliage. But in the distance, she could vaguely make out the hazy forms of people. Hunters, she thought.

But what was delaying them? For surely, they would have caught up with the slave-group by now...
Suddenly, she heard a loud cry. The hunters had found Ranchard! At that moment of realization, Haven shouted "Get up!"

Fionel instantly did so, and following her were the rest of the slaves. As quick as speeding arrows, they darted off into the vast, grassy land ahead of them.

[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: kittiewhirl1677 ]
Old 05-25-2003, 11:03 AM   #108
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

"We've got to go. Now."

Fionel opened her eyes and looked at Haven. The girl's eyes were wild, and she had now stood.

"Get up!" Haven's voice was weary but anxious and she looked as if at any moment she would flee, as if any small noise would make her run. Fionel gazed at her wearily, then got to her feet. As soon as she did so, the others also got up. She tugged the sword from the ground where she had deposited it and, because she didnt have a sheath, would just have to be content holding it. She sensed the others looking at it, with a mixture of awe, fear, and resentment, but Haven's next call distracted from it, although it was shouted over her shoulder as she had already set off. "Lets go!"

"Aye, we head West- that is the direction Rhunnaro and Tenzin went, and Turos, and the direction Minas Tirith lies." Fionel agreed. The map was emblazened on her mind, hope in a solid form. So, with many a-sigh, they set off running once more, but soon were met by Rhunnaro. A look of complete astonishment settled itself on the Rhun man's features, and he stared at Fionel as if she was a ghost, holding his horse by its halter. Fionel had never been so glad to see anyone, and she saw something like what she felt in the man's eyes. No, surely she must have imagined it...

"Alive? All of you, alive?" He asked, incredulous. Fionel grinned at him and held out her sword.

"It would take more than that to get rid of us yet, Rhunnaro."

He returned the smile and took her sword, sliding it into a sheath attached to his saddle. Mounting up once again, he trotted with them running around him back to Tenzin and Turos. Fionel took out the map, holding it up to him.

"I suggest we keep on heading West. That way, if I'm right, we should soon reach the Morgul road, and by following the roads, we should be able to get to Minas Tirith, and be able to cross the Mountains of Shadow. But we could have a problem getting over, just a group of slaves..." She looked up at him, her eyes hopeful, but subtly so, but when she next spoke it almost seemed as if she had changed the subject. "In which direction are you headed?"
Old 05-25-2003, 01:14 PM   #109
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

The map was burned into his memory, but he took it from her anyway, and listened to her words. Rhûnnaro reined in his mount, and got down. The slaves gathered round, keeping a certain distance from him. He motioned them closer, and crouched down, spreading the map on the ground.

‘This is where Tenzin and I are bound. Here where the Shadow Mountains narrow and the river runs down from the mountains to The Harad Road.’ His finger tapped lightly at a point just south of their present position. ‘We will not follow the river once we have left the mountains, but will cut straight west, through Southern Ithilien until we reach The Great River, the Anduin.’

He looked up at Fionel to see if she were following his line of thought. She traced with her slim finger the route to the crossing at Pelargir and then moved north to Minas Tirith.

‘Yes, we should be safe there, on the western side of the Anduin’ he told her. His finger took up the route she had followed and continued it on north, moving east through Northern Ithilien, coming to rest just northeast of the Eastern Sea, in the steppes of Rhûn. 'We will stop in Minas Tirith only long enough to rest and replenish our supplies, then we are bound through the Brown Lands to our home, here at the eastern borders of these plains, in the foothills of the great mountains.’

He watched her face as he spoke, picking up a fleeting expression of hope and then hesitancy.

‘We will see you to Minas Tirith if that is your desire, to travel with us.’ He paused for a moment considering his next words. ‘You had not thought beyond escape, had you? What will you do when you are in that great stone city. Who will take you in? Have you family there to see to you?’

She looked uncomfortable at the question. ‘No need to answer that now. But is something you should consider. You would not wish to trade slavery of one sort for slavery of another.’

He stood and rolling the map returned it to her. Mounting his horse, he motioned them forward, taking them back swiftly to where Tenzin and Turos waited.

[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: Envinyatar ]
Old 05-25-2003, 06:00 PM   #110
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Dôranna walked along with the company, twisting her hair into a bun and pulling it back out, twisting and pulling, twisting and pulling. She had the feeling that if she did not occupy her hands somehow, she would end up strangling someone.

The incident with Lanbriel had put her off of her ease, and when she was not fiddling with her hair she found herself fingering the hilt of her dagger. But what bothered her most was Rhûnnaro. After he had laid out his plans, it hit her that he really wanted to help them. Or at least wasn't out to kill them. It puzzled her, and intrigued her. What could he get out of it? From her experience, Easterlings only did anything when they could get something out of it.

She walked forward in the line that Rhûnnaro had set up, shooting him a penetrating look. He returned it calmly, and to her embarrassment she looked down. A perplexing man, indeed. She kicked at the ground a little, then concentrated on keeping up with the others.

[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 05-27-2003, 01:21 AM   #111
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

Rhûnnaro halted at the edges of the clearing and gave a sharp whistle, the call of a small hawk as it signals its approach to its partner. He was answered in kind, and then proceeded around the clearing to the rocky outcropping where the two others waited. He let the slaves go first, keeping their tired, ragged line in sight, reminding them to stay off the grass and dirt of the clearing.

Tenzin came round the rocks, shading his eyes as they approached, and waved to Rhûnnaro. His eyes fell on the young woman who led the group. Her grey eyes met his, as she unconsciously ran her fingers tiredly through her short, cropped hair, and looking away quickly, wiped the dust from her cheeks in afterthought.

The young man approached and held out a skin of water to her, leaning toward her, speaking something softly.

Rhûnnaro took in the scene with interest, his sharp brown eyes missing nothing . . .
Old 05-27-2003, 07:44 AM   #112
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Leading the line of slaves around the rocks, Fionel squinted against the sun to see a man come our from behind the rocks. He waved to Rhunnaro, then his eyes turned to the group of slaves.

They had been moving for several hours, kept going by Rhunnaro, and the sun had been beating down harder than the days before. Fionel's back ached where the whips of the easterlings had stung her, especially those inflicted on the day of and the day before the Hunt Selection. Late afternoon approached now though, and the sun was less harsh than it had been. As they came into the clearing, most of the slaves slowed at the site of Turos and Tenzin, some approaching the cripple with excitement, telling him of what had gone on. But Tenzin stood alone for a while. Fionel, still walking slowly, watched him from under her eyelashes, before looking up, realising he was watching her, her grey gaze returning his. She ran her hands through her hair subconciously, and looked away, knowing she must look a right state, brushing her hands across her cheeks in an attempt to brush away the dirt, wishing she had a mirror. But why? Why do you wish you had a mirror, he is just an easterling...

Or was he? She turned as she heard him stop beside her, and he held a water-skin out to her, his soft brown eyes still on her.

"A drink, Lady?" His voice was soft and seemed almost musical.

"Fionel. My name is Fionel." Fionel smiled slightly nervously and took the water-skin from him. As she did so, her fingers brushed against his, and she looked down, pulling back her fingers nervously, out of habit, murmering an apology or something. As she looked, she saw his fingers were indeed very slim and long, like her own, skilled fingers. Getting a grip on herself she took the skin, drinking from it thirstily, then handed it back. He smiled, his teeth very white against his tanned face. Why am I noticing all the details?! She tried to remember what she had heard of Tenzin...a healer, was he?

"Thank you. I...thankyou." She smiled again, that nervous, uncharacteristic smile, and he inclined his head to her, attaching the skin to his belt again. Rhunnaro gave a bird-like whistle again, one hand pointing in the direction they were going, and Tenzin nodded at him, before moving off to get his horse. Fionel watched him go, then resumed her walking again- it was impossible to move fast in the heat. But her mind was troubled; Rhunnaro's words kept returning to her.

"You had not thought beyond escape, had you? What will you do when you are in that great stone city. Who will take you in? Have you family there to see to you?"

No, no family. The easterling slave catchers had been very thorough, taking all the young men and women in the village, including her two older brothers and her mother, and she had never seen them again, as they were taken to a different part of Nurn, a place where there were thousands of slaves, and it was impossible to find just one. Her father had caused trouble, seriously injuring an easterling, and they had dealt with it in the only way they seemed to know how. No, she had no family any more.

You would not wish to trade slavery of one sort for slavery of another

Fionel mused on those words. She knew what slavery it was that he talked off, one that especially used young women, but she hadn't even thought about it. The White City had seemed so inviting, and when Fionel thought of the trips she and her mother had made there when she was a child, it had seemed to be a haven, where all would be well and they would be safe, and life would be perfect...

How had she thought that could ever be? Who would even look at them now? Was there even a chance that anyone would look at the tanned, scarred young woman in ragged clothing and remember Elsa the trader's daughter? Not a chance.

"So what do you think you will do when you reach Minas Tirith?"

Her thoughts, spoken aloud from directly beside her ear, made Fionel jump, startled, and she staggered slightly on a rock on the ground. Tenzin's arm shot out instinctively, catching her around her waist. She stiffened, then relaxed, her hand on his arm, and for a moment they remained so, Fionel looking into the man's sharp eyes. Then she straightened up, muttering a curt thanks, and continued walking, confused by this young man's kindness and by the way he had reflected her thoughts...confused by the way she had felt when he caught her...
Old 05-28-2003, 02:16 AM   #113
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

Rhûnnaro urged them more deeply into the thick scrubby forest that outlined the margins of the foothills. There would be more cover for them, more opportunity to hide if needed, or to attack.

Tenzin led the group, Turos mounted behind him. Rhûnnaro brought up the rear of the ragged column. Five young women and one Elf. The going was slow, they were weary, growing more tired by the moment, their steps stumbling.

His horse arched his neck and shook insistently at his bridle, pulling his head to the left. Rhûnnaro reined him in and lifting his head, took in the scents carried on the south wind. The rich green smell of trees overlaid a myriad of other odors. Next came the thick deep smell of the forest floor - a mixture of decaying leaves, and the scents of animals marking their territories, and dark rich dirt. Something faint broke through briefly here and there. A fresh scent. He took a long deep breath and closed his eyes to sort it out.

Water! Nearby and to the south. He whistled sharply to Tenzin, motioning him to turn left.

The women were nearly done in by the time they reached the small stream flowing out of the base of a rocky hillock. Tenzin signaled a stop and they stumbled toward the water, kneeling down on the bank, scooping it up to slake their thirst.

‘’We’ll rest here for a while. Fill the waterskins, and get something from the pack that Tenzin hands round to take the hunger from your bellies. We’ll push on again soon.’

They were silent, their remaining energy bent on chewing the dried meats and hard waybread. Footsore and hot from their exertions, they sat for the most part with their feet dangling in the little stream.

Rhûnnaro watched as Tenzin took round a small pot of herbed unguent for their sores and blisters, speaking quietly to each one, most hesitant still at taking something from an Easterling.

When he was done, the older man called the younger to him. ‘While we have time, we should tip the arrows. We may need them soon.’ Tenzin, nodding agreement, went quickly to fetch the quiver of black fletched arrows and the sealed crock he had brought, carefully wrapped in layers of thick cloth.

While he was doing this, Rhûnnaro called for the group’s attention. ‘You saw, from the map that Fionel has, where Tenzin and I are bound. I need to know who will choose to go with us to Minas Tirith and who wishes to strike out on their own.’ He looked from person to person, meeting their gaze with his own. ‘I have no wish to keep you with me if that is not your choice. Though I must tell you I think it unwise to leave the group. There is safety in greater numbers should we have to face the Hunters.’

The expressions on the faces of the young women were guarded, and they said nothing as he spoke.

‘You are not my slaves,’ he continued, ‘and I will no longer be your master. Make your decisions and come to me within the hour. We will arm those who wish to go in another direction and give you some food. And after that is done, those who are still with us will leave, traveling south and west, further into the mountains.’

He withdrew, leaving them to talk among themselves, and came to where Tenzin sat on the ground, a distance away, dipping the heads of the arrows into the black oily liquid in the jar, and resting them carefully on a flat rock to dry.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:17 AM   #114
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

The slaves talked among themselves, each eagerly making up their minds on what they would do next. None had expected to get this far and at this point, any wrong move could be fatal.

As the slaves spoke in their excited voices, Desolyn sat alone several feet away, hugging her knees as she grimaced in pain. The Hunt had taken its toll on her. The wounds on her back had reopened multiple times, bleeding through her tunic. Her knees ached from weariness of travel. And though Desolyn's feet were calloused from never wearing shoes, they still blistered and bled constantly. Fearing that her blood may mark a trail, Des had earlier binded her feet in haste with pieces of her rags, but she soon discovered that it was useless, as the rags were almost immediately torn to shreds. To make it worse, Desolyn now found herself in an internal struggle. She had heard what Rhunnaro had asked Fionel earlier and ever since, the question troubled her greatly.

"You had not thought beyond escape, had you? What will you do when you are in that great stone city. Who will take you in? Have you family there to see to you?"

All her life, Des had dreamed of escape, but she had never once thought of succeeding. What would she do once she reached Minas Tirith? Being born into slavery, her mother was the only family Desolyn ever knew and she was long dead. Who would take her in? Being dark-skinned, Des looked no less an easterling than those who hunted her. Would any Gondorian ever trust or accept her for who she was? And as she thought harder about it, Desolyn began to become even more troubled. What was freedom, anyway? She had never experienced it before. What did a free person do? Whatever opportunities a free person had, Des knew she was more limited than the average human. She was illiterate and had no skills in anything except for farming. And at this point, even farming seemed useless with no money to buy land.

Desolyn now began to wonder why she ever wanted to escape bondage. What was the point? To become a beggar on the streets? At least as a slave she was given food and shelter. Perhaps Des should give up altogether and let the hunters have her. She thought about how happy they would be to finally have a kill. The girl shuddered. No, she couldn't let that happen.

Desolyn glanced over at the group of slaves, then at Turos. He was listening carefully to what each slave had to say, nodding every once and a while. He did not voice much in opinion; he hardly ever did. Sadness welled up inside Desolyn as she thought of this man. Before the accident, Turos always seemed so cheerful and even enthusiastic about his work. He was a strong man and was favored by the easterlings. But now the easterlings found him useless, and as it seemed, so did he. Attempting to push her own troubles aside, Des thought of the troubles of Turos. I suppose I could be worse off, she thought to herself. But even so, Desolyn could not help but think of what would become of herself.

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: Brinniel ]
Old 05-28-2003, 07:27 PM   #115
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Dôranna smiled as she spoke with the others, talking about what she would do when she got home, where she would go first, what the first thing she would say to her parents would be. Well, she told most of it, anyway. She did not mention her fiancé. She wasn't ready yet.

She glanced around idly, and her eyes caught on Desolyn, sitting by herself a few yards away. The young woman--Dôranna no longer thought of any of her companions as 'girls' or 'boys', not after she had seen them in action--the young woman was hugging her knees to her, a weary and pained look in her eyes. The Elf excused herself from the conversation and crawled over to Desolyn. She winced at the blood that caked the rags on the woman's feet, and she was sure that that was not the extent of her injuries. Her own body was not in the best shape, but she had managed to get away with minimal damage.

"Does it hurt much?" Dôranna asked sympathetically. Startled out of her thoughts, Desolyn just frowned at her for a moment, and Dôranna noticed some light blood stains on her back. "I have some small skill in healing. My mother taught me how. I wish I had better herbs with me, but nothing useful grows in Nurn." She struggled with herself for a moment, trying to force the bitterness out of her voice. "I can't fix it all, but I might be able to make it hurt a little less." She sat on her heels, waiting for Desolyn's response.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:13 PM   #116
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

The two men worked quickly on the arrows. There were fifteen of the black feathered shafts with the sharp, barbed metal tips, each having to be dipped three times in the thick, oily substance and allowed to dry between coatings. Once done, Tenzin corked the small crock securely, taking care not to get any of the substance on his fingers, then secured the cork with leather lashings, and placed the crock safely back in its wrappings and into his pack.

‘Take your salve round once again, Tenzin. Some did not use it the first time, and they will need it if we are to push on. Have them see to their feet, and put some on the cuts I see bleeding through the backs of their shirts. We will need to travel swiftly, and they cannot be held back by pain.’ He looked toward the group which sat a distance away, noting that Turos sat quietly on the edges.

‘Ask the man, Turos, to come to me. I would speak with him.’
Old 05-29-2003, 02:32 PM   #117
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Lanbriel sat by a tree, her legs crossed. She looked up at the sky, her last reminder of what freedom was. Rhunnaro had told them to think about what they were to do: seek their own individual paths, or to come with the group.

She didn't know what to do. What would be the point of going to Minas Tirith? Her father was long dead, and her mother had disappeared when she was but a child. All her family had either died in battle or lived too far off.

She had no money, nothing to help her start her life anew. She at least could have had something to sell, but no. Other than her ripped, dirty clothes, and her rusty, chipped dagger she had nothing.

Maybe, maybe she could start her life in the wilderness, once they got out of Nurn? Maybe she could build a shelter and live out her days there. By that time, the hunt would be over, and she would be free. She would have no need for people, as they would have no need for her.

No, these thoughts would be for another time. When she was poor and hungry, maybe that's when she would put this backup plan in use.

She suddenly relized that she had gone from staring up at the sky to twiddling a giant, soft green leaf in her hands. The leaf was comfortable to hold. All this was making her a little agitated, thinking about her future. She needed to tear at something. Without thinking, she started trying to rip the leaf.

No matter how hard she tried, it wouldn't give! It was soft, pleasant to the touch, but it just wouldn't rip! Suddenly, she had an idea. She looked up at the tree she was leaning on. There were tons of similar-looking leaves up above! She ripped a few off, and wrapped them about one of her worst injuries - on her arm. There was a gash, still slightly bleeding, from when she had rolled down the hill. She wrapped the leaves around her arm, where the gash was, and tied it all with a strong piece of the long grass.

Her idea worked! The leaf stayed firmly in place. It worked like a miracle. It was soft, preventing any uncomfort to the wound, and strong, not ripping no matter what she did to it. The grass held it firm and tight, but not too tight.
She was not very good at healing, but she did have some teaching a little before she was taken into slavery. They would all apply their own medicines, but at least she had finally found a good bandage.
She stood up, and shouted to the rest of the slaves.
"I think I found what you all need."

No more needed to be said, as she waved her wrapped arm at the others. They all came rushing around her, trying to be the first ones to see how the bandage worked.

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: kittiewhirl1677 ]
Old 05-29-2003, 03:10 PM   #118
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

"Ah, excitement. Well, she's using her brain anyway."

Fionel opened her eyes and turned her head to see Tenzin's thin lipped smile. She nodded and closed her eyes again. There was a slightly put off silence, before Tenzin spoke again. "Your back- I can see it is bleeding, the same as Desolyn's. Have you put anything on it yet?"

Fionel shook her head then, as an afterthought, replied. "No, I think maybe it would be best left alone. It will heal in time."

"And if that time was shorter?" He persisted. "I have some healing knowledge, and some salve. Have you need of some?"

Fionel opened her eyes, surprised, and stared at the young man who held out the small pot of salve suspiciously. He would help her? But why? Once again the question which had been growing in her mind came back: why were Rhunnaro and Tenzin helping them anyway? But the salve would be cooling and her back was sore, each mark almost as painful now they had split as they had been when first inflicted. After a moment, she nodded, taking the salve from him. But how was she going to get to her back? She scooped out an amount of the salve and scraped it off onto one of the large rubbery leaves which lay around, so it acted as a palette. Then she handed the pot back to Tenzin in quite a definite motion. "Thankyou." She said, gratefully but firmly.

She began to apply the lotion to her feet and it was indeed very cooling on the blistered and the scrapes where the cheap sandals had rubbed or given in completely. She closed her eyes once more, sighing happily as she massaged it into her feet, living in the moment. But when she opened her eyes again to get some more, Turos was still there. Haven't you got others to help? Said her look, but Tenzin remained unmoving, looking past her at the group around the leaves, now binding the makeshift bandages onto the cuts on their limbs. So he had seen them, and she was last. She eyed Tenzin warily and he seemed to sense her gaze and returned it. She looked away quickly, once more out of habit of not meeting the eyes of the easterlings.

She finished her feet and, with some difficulty, began on her back. She winced as one ragged nail scraped one of the rawer cuts, but carried on, although it was difficult to reach all of her back. It soon became evident that, as she had suspected, she would not be able to reach all of her back, or not well. Turos turned back to her and his look was almost exasperated, but the proud Fionel was not prepared to ask for help from an easterling. Once again to her surprise, Tenzin offered it.

"Oh, come here." He unscrewed the lid of the salve and walked towards her, kneeling down behind her. Fionel quickly scrabbled away.

"No, no- I will do fine, thankyou."

"Fionel, we need to move fast, and Rhunnaro specifically said that you all can't be held back by pain, in back or foot." Once more he moved around. This time Fionel's arm shot out, catching him on the arm, more a reflex than anything else, her ragged nails, scratching his arm. He moved back a step, hand on arm, then took it off and raised an eyebrow at the slave on the ground.

"Ouch?"

Fionel sighed, almost ashamed of what she had done. "That was...unnecessary. I'm.." She couldnt bring herself to apologise, but he seemed to see it anyway, inclining his head. He tried again, more hesitantly this time. "May I?"

Fionel eyed him warily again, then nodded. "Please."

Tenzin moved around behind her, kneeling up, the salve in his hand. He scooped a small amount onto his fingers and, very carefully and slowly, as if he was worried Fionel would bolt or lash out again, began to rub it into her back. At first she stiffened, then relaxed as the lashes began to feel better. After a few rather awkward moments, Tenzin withdrew.

"Done." Fionel thought she could hear a hint of a smile in his voice and smiled sheepishly at him. He returned it, and Fionel felt that something else was needed, beside her thanks.

"So you will head back to Rhun with Rhunnaro? What will you do there?"
Old 05-29-2003, 03:19 PM   #119
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Haven stared out over the plains, and yet she nodded agreement or shook her head in disagreement as the other slaves discussed. What would she do? It was a fork in the road, and she had to decide which way to go. Lanbriel offered her leaf healing to the group, and Haven sat there, knowing that the only wounds she had were from running without sandals.

Haven's skills were in housework and caretaking, not hard labor and field working like all the other slaves. Perhaps some rich merchant or someone to that extent would not mind a maid, or a servant at the very least. It would not be slavery...

Oh, how Haven wished she could ask Jamilah and Jovanna what she should do. They were just children, but they always had straightforward answers. Always simple answers that were no longer than three words, but answers nonetheless. To them, no one needed a reason to do anything, just an answer.

"I want to just stay here," Haven muttered irritably. The moment she said it, she regretted it. She hoped none of the other slaves had heard, so as not to think Haven was weak. Haven just didn't want to go on anymore.

Might as well try and survive. A part of Haven thought. And that's my answer. No need for reasons.

Haven stood and walked over to the older easterling. He seemed to be waiting for someone or something, but Haven decided to tell him her decision now, lest she change her mind.

"Sir," Haven began, using the accustomed term. "I just have to know for myself, if there is a greener side. I think I'll go with you."

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 05-29-2003, 04:06 PM   #120
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

"There are others who have ways to ease your pain if you wish not to take up my offer," Doranna continued. She looked at Desolyn kindly.

This was the first time the elf had ever spoken to Des. The girl had always been curious about Doranna; there weren't very many elves in Nurn. She had wondered what it was like to be an elf; she had heard once that elves were immortal, and some had been living for thousands of years without even a singe wrinkle to show for it.

Looking at Doranna brought answers to the questions Desolyn had about elves. She could tell by the weariness in Doranna's face that the elf had been a slave longer than any of the slaves had even lived. She had seen more and she knew more. Staring into the elf's eyes, Des could see that Doranna had experienced much more pain than the girl had ever felt. And still, the elf was willing to do whatever she could to help the girl.

Desolyn had heard that elves were excellent healers, and she thought that though Doranna may not be able to heal her wounds, whatever she did would be more helpful than Tenzin's salve. Besides, Des felt more comfortable knowing that another slave would be touching her wounds rather than an easterling.

Desolyn gave the elf a small smile. "I would greatly appreciate anything you can do to ease my pain, Doranna."

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: Brinniel ]