Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-18-2002, 11:53 AM   #41
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

SAVE
Old 11-18-2002, 11:55 AM   #42
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Holly whistled for Peri. Gandalf had assembled his ragtag troops and was preparing to start down the road. The Hobbit stood up from her seat beneath the oak tree, saddle blanket in hand, waiting for the arrival of the pony.

She put her fingers to her mouth and whistled again. Where was he? It was not like Peri to go off when he knew they would soon be on the road.

Holly walked toward the stable, thinking he might have gone in for a few more bites of hay, but there was no pony to be seen. She whistled once more and heard a muffled whinny come, it seemed, through the rear wall of one of the stalls.

She ran quickly to the back of the building. There was the Peri, digging furiously at the edge of the foundation with his front hooves. Straw and dirt were flying. 'Hey!' she shouted, as a clod of dirt hit her thigh. 'Watch what you're doing, you crazy pony!' She stepped a little closer, avoiding the flying debris. 'And what are you doing?'

Peri had ceased his digging, and had something secured in his front teeth, tugging mightily at it. Holly reached down to help him, her hand closing round some sort of leather strap.

'What's this?' She held up a familiar looking pack, and brushed off the dirt clinging to it. Inside she recognized the tumbled clutter of belongings. 'Good work, Peri! Now let's get this into your packs and you loaded up. Gandalf and all are already legging it down the road.'

By the time they reached the oak tree, the companions had long left the yard, making good time down the road. Peri was soon re-packed. Holly reached into the pack they had dug up and took out a small, light purse that jingled faintly when she shook it. 'I'll just keep it safe here.' she said to the attentive pony, placing it in the same inner pocket as she had the folded map.

Staff in hand, rucksack swaying gently at her back, she strode down the dusty path. If anyone had watched her, they would have thought it odd that she held an animated and ongoing one-sided conversation with the pony, and gazed often into the sky and trees above her, as if seeing something there.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:20 PM   #43
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* Hearing a genteel voice cry a challenge from down low behind the trees, Gandalf stopped, though with a posture as forward-craning as Midnight's determination to reach any finish line before the race has started. *

Your song and question reveal your hiding place, bard-maiden. Well met, methinks, though there's no time to spare for introductions. Share our road if you wish, for 'tis better than walking alone among the trees.

* Eirian's curiosity drew her out to the edge of the road, as Gandalf had hoped. The wizard lobbed a coin into the air, saying .. * I'll toss away silver for another song. What you catch is yours.

* The silver piece zinged up into a patch of overhanging leaves. Bird made a deft grab. She smiled gingerly at the small unexpected windfall, taking care to not drop the coin from her beak. *

* Meanwhile, unawares below, Gandalf made ready to envelope the silver piece in a cloud of lilac smoke. The silver, of course, never fell back down. His dramatic pause lasted overlong, until showmanship was about to crumble. But a good wizard always leaves himself more than one way out. Gandalf smiled and bowed, saying ... * I meant to do that.

* Reaching over, he mysteriously pulled a new coin from behind Eirian's left ear. Then came the burst of lilac smoke. Gandalf showed empty hands, took another bow, rose, and presented Eirian with a bouquet of lilacs. *

* The momentary diversion over, everyone resumed moving down the path to their fated adventure. *

[ November 18, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 11-18-2002, 03:39 PM   #44
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

TheLadyAerowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheLadyAerowen
Silmaril

Alearindu shoved her pack onto her back after checking her contents, and followed the others onto the trail.

She first called for her horse, Mornen, and patted him on the muzzle as he came to her. Alearindu started walking, and Mornen followed on her right side.

Alearindu stayed back a bit for a while, and then strode forward to walk on Gandalf's right side. She nodded a greeting at those she passed whom she didn't know.

"So, Master Gandalf? Where do you hope to rest tonight?" Alearindu queried him.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:38 PM   #45
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Eirian laughed and dipped a curtsy at the wizard.

"Thank you, kind sir. Your performance certainly tops mine. As for joining your road, if you are the same Gandalf the Grey as is setting out for the Castle Maladil, I believe I shall join you. After all, you shall be in need of my skills, unless I am much mistaken."

One of Gandalf's companions asked, "And how shall a bard's skills help us?"

"I am not just a bard, friend, but a healer. And if you are travelling that dangerous a road, a healer would be able to help. Unless you don't wish me to come."

They all denied having ever said such a thing, and Eirian smiled again, humming a joyful song to herself.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:20 PM   #46
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Holly looked up at the sound of a low, ratchety chuckle, and watched as a flash of silver fell at her feet. The little crow gave her a wink and a nod. Holly silently picked up the coin that the crow had dropped, then turned and walked back down the line to the strange little singer.

"Eirian, I think I heard the wizard call you? Here, I believe this coin belongs to you." And Holly held out the silver piece to her.

Suddenly both girls looked up as a crow in a tree set up the most outrageous racket, cawing and flapping it's wings as if it were in the greatest of distress.

"Why, what has upset that bird in the tree?" wondered Eirian. "it shrieks as if someone had robbed its nest."

Holly merely smiled, and returned to Peri.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:36 AM   #47
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Anna wafted up the stairs to the second floor, listening to the music drifting through the castle. It was nice and all, but so sad, and always the same. Even after all her centuries as a ghost, she still wished Kenelm would play a different tune sometimes. As she reached the top of the stairs, she began to sing the words she'd devised to fit the tune so long ago. That always brought him out of himself, at least briefly.

Sometimes, in the night I feel it
Near as my next breath and yet, untouchable
Silently the past comes stealing
Like the taste of some forbidden sweet

Along the walls; in shadowed rafters
Moving like a thought through haunted atmoshperes
Muted cries and echoed laughter
Banished dreams that never sank in sleep

Lost in love and
Found in reason
Questions that the mind can find no answers for
Ghostly eyes
Conspire treason
As they gather just outside the door...

Every ghost that calls upon us
Brings another measure to the mystery
Death is there
To keep us honest
And constantly remind us we are free

Down the ancient corridors
And through the gates of time
Run the ghosts of days
That we left behind

Down the ancient corridors
And through the gates of time
Run the ghosts of dreams
That we left behind

Not today however. Usually he came out and listened to her song, as she listened to his harp, but today he only continued without interrupting himself. With a shrug, she turned away and wandered up to the third floor. This was the dungeon, and she didn't normally come up here, but something had compelled her today. On her way, she noticed Tella watching her, so at least she'd had some audience. She nodded as she passed and Tella nodded back.

When she came up through the third floor corridor, she saw several former servants busily scrubbing the walls. The Butler was also there, supervising. She managed to duck out of sight before he saw her and there was a fracas over whether she would help with the chores.

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 11-19-2002, 04:13 PM   #48
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

After fording the Bruinen, Nardol rode steadily along the East Road and crossed the Last Bridge as evening fell. Moving on for a mile or so, he turned off the road and found a familiar clearing where he camped for the night. He built a small fire, then brushed and fed his horse, Rustal, before bedding for the night.

The next morning, he proceeded west until the top of Amon Sűl came into view. Then he sought and found a little-used path which veered off to the south and followed the track as it skirted around the edge of the rugged lands to his right. The South Downs were passable but difficult and he did not wish Rustal to injure a limb. So instead, he intended to pass to the east of the Downs before turning west again towards the Greenway and Sarn Ford.

Late in the afternoon, the hills of the Downsstill rose to his right and their shadows dimmed his path amidst the trees. Nardol was nearing a small clearing when he heard a sound like the trill of a bird. He scowled and Rustal stopped and pawed the turf. Urging him on, Nardol approached the edge of the clearing then stopped again. Looking left and right, the horse and rider entered the green but moved off the path, edging towards the east.

Just as the trees bagan to close around the track again, a Man stepped from the trees to the west and blocked the way. Nardol took note of the Elvish spear which complemented the torn Elven cloak which the Man wore. Rustal stopped and stood motionless as the Man raised a hand.

"Well met, Elf," he cried. "Well met indeed. I am glad you have come to visit me and my friends." As he spoke two Men emerged from the trees to the west and two more stepped out to block the path upon which the Elf had ridden. With his left hand, Nardol drew a throwing blade and with his right he pulled forth his sword.

"Oh, we're tough, I see," laughed the Man. "Now play nice and we'll let you on your way...after we relieve you of your horse and any valuables you may have. Be sweet and we may even leave you your boots and a knife. But no promises..."

The two to the west were joined by a third. Each bore a long knife and a club. A fourth emerged carrying a long sword. Nardol bent and whispered to Rustal, then straightened and raised the throwing knife. He turned quickly and let the knife fly not to the west but to the east where a thief had crept out of the bushes with a spear. Even as the Man fell with the blade in his throat, Rustal leapt towards the east and rushed past yet another Man who had stepped from the underbrush.

Rustal galloped along for a few minutes, dodging between trees with an uncanny judgment of space, then halted at Nardol's urging. The horse and rider turned to the south, then to the west, crossing the track, then back towards the north. They neared the clearing again silently. When he could here the sound of cursing, Nardol sheathed his sword and swung a bow from his shoulder.

Dismounting, he approached the bandits from the west even as the shadows began to darken towards night. The leader, stood above his fallen comrade while the others stripped him of his weapons, boots and money. Nardol whistled. As the leader turned, an arrow caught him in his left eye. Another of the thieves fell even as his fellows turned and ran screaming into the trees. Nardol entered the clearing quickly and scooped up the Elven spear. "This is too good for the likes of you," he snarled. Then he spat and turned away. Mounting Rustal, he continued along the path...
Old 11-19-2002, 04:58 PM   #49
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelduliniel turned to Estelarion as they moved along.

"We seem to be joined by many musicians on this journey. We will have to give up some of our time, I feel."

"Give up our time? Nay, it was never ours to begin with," Estelarion said, "And I am sure that you will have plenty of time to use your voice along the way."

"That comment," Menelduliniel said quietly, referring to the anonymous companions questioning of Eirian, "Was certainly not very nice...to any of us."

Estelarion chuckled. "Menelduliniel, I am sure that they meant no harm by it. I guess it is somewhat odd for bards to engage in adventuring. Although, none on this sojourn are merely bards."

"What do you mean?" Menelduliniel asked.

"I do not know," Estelarion admitted, "But I think that the Fates would not give us anyone that would not be of any use to the party. And Gandalf would not bring them into danger either."

"Ah," Menelduliniel said, absentmindedly. She turned and went to Eirian.

"Why, what has upset that bird in the tree?" wondered Eirian, as Menelduliniel approached. "It shrieks as if someone had robbed its nest."

"What bird?" Menelduliniel asked in a friendly tone.

"There," Eirian said, pointing.

Menelduliniel looked, "Ah. I am sure it is nothing."

She saw no others looking at it curiously.

"No, it is nothing," Menelduliniel said, "The others would have sensed something. The people here that I am familiar with would have noticed something greatly out of the question and would have pointed it out, had it been a threat."

"Ah," Eirian said, still not looking completely sure, "And what, may I ask, is your name?"

"I am Menelduliniel," Menelduliniel said, smiling, "And what are referred to as?"

"Eirian," Eirian replied, "And what do you mean 'referred to'?"

"Well," Menelduliniel sighed, "Many here conceal their identity for their own reasons."

"Do you?" Eirian asked.

"Nay, I am not ashamed of my name. I suppose I have reason to, but I am not. Well, I am proud to have met you, Eirian. May your experience with us be worth your time."

"Thank you," Eirian said, "May it be the same for you."

Menelduliniel turned and fell back in step with Estelarion.

"So?" Estelarion asked, "What was that about?"

"We do not meet as many females as I would like on the road," Menelduliniel shrugged, "Far too many men control the roads. Do not blame me for wanting to speak with those of my own gender. Anyway, I still must keep my eyes open for a woman for you!"

Estelarion laughed and they walked on, listening to conversation around them, as they frequently enjoyed doing...
Old 11-20-2002, 12:46 AM   #50
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Andreth had been walking along the road in silence for some time. She had decided to proceed on foot, with her belongings tossed over Whinney's back. Every so often, she stared over at her pack to make sure that it was still tightly fastened. Most of the time she listened to what others were saying, or looked about at the changing kaleidoscope of light and color, trying to get a good idea for her next tapestry from the scenery that was passing. She held a small sketch pad, and occasionally jotted down notes, or even a very rough drawing to remind her of something she'd seen.

Andreth had thought long and hard on what Gandalf had said to her before they departed. He had called her an 'Elf-friend.' That was indeed a compliment, although she was puzzled as to its exact meaning. Perhaps, she'd learn more on this journey.

To be truthful, she'd never even seen an Elf until this very day. But Andreth knew she herself was named after an Elf-friend, a woman of the First Age who had been close to Finrod and his house. She'd heard plenty of Elvish lore from her father, and had defended Elves against the aspersions of her more suspicious neighbors time and time again. She'd even heard an insult or two hurled in her own direction when she spoke out on their behalf. She wasn't sure if that qualified her as an Elf-friend.

Just at that instant, the sun came out from under a cloud. With the bright sunlight streaming down on the road, she got her first close look at Holly, one of the hobbits who seemed to know Gandalf quite well. She'd noticed her once early on at the Inn, but had been afraid to approach because of that crotchety-looking woman who'd stood close to her, staring down her nose at Andreth. But the ill-natured woman was evidently gone.

Then Andreth saw that Holly wore a fine woolen vest. Its bright colors, so beloved by most hobbits, looked familiar. So familiar, that she couldn't resist saying something, "Holly, I wanted to tell you a secret," Andreth sidled over towards the girl. "I wove the material for the vest you have on. It was a long time ago, one of my first pieces, so I never forgot it. I'm from Bree. That's where our shop is. Have you ever been there?"

[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 11-20-2002, 01:03 AM   #51
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

The First Pitfall: Unforgiving, Giving Ground

No one saw it coming, for not even a Ranger's keen eye could detect a trap so carefully concealed. And so danger uncovered itself after half a day's march. The mat of woven reeds and grasses packed and hidden underneath a cover of mud, twigs, and stones crumbled like a soft indrawing of breath into a stagnant, yawning mouth.

Estelarion, Poppy, and Volondil fell in before they knew what was happening to them. Alearindu's horse, Mornen, stumbled after, head and forelegs dangling down into the hole, the rest of the horse kicking and flailing above ground as muted neighs rose plaintive in the afternoon.

Estelarion, by virtue of his being a nimble Elf whom fortune had smiled on, fell onto straw-covered dirt. He brushed the dirt off himself to find purplish bruises on his arms and legs, and a sprained left wrist.

Poppy, though being a hardier Hobbit lass than her friendly shyness showed, was sorely hurt. She brushed against a pointy spike of iron that opened a deep gash in her leg. With a startled gasping cry, she fell unconscious.

Volondil too plunged downward onto a rough-edged spike laid at an odd angle. The iron scraped into his side like a sword, drawing blood.

After the shock of the event, the pit was observed to be 15 feet deep, and on the surface, 5 feet long by 5 feet wide.

There were calls of "Anyone have a rope ready to hand?"

[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 11-20-2002, 06:51 PM   #52
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Andreth had dropped back to speak with Holly, her sketch pad in hand. She seemed a nice young woman, though unschooled in the finer points of traveling. She wore a long skirt, not the best for making it through the brambles and brush alongside the road. And her shoes were serviceable enough, but looked to Holly as if they might pinch after a long day or two of tramping down the road.

The Hobbit looked down at her own bare feet and wiggled her toes. She was dressed in short black stout-cloth breeches which reached to mid calf, and a soft, well worn long sleeved shirt of light grey wool. Her vest, the one Andreth had spoke of, was buttoned securely about her torso. She patted the area over the inner pocket and felt the bulge of the folded map and birds pouch of coins.

The two of them had stopped for a moment, while Holly searched through her pack for some sketches she wanted to show Andreth. The rest of the group had pulled out in front of them, as the two women talked and shared opinions of each other’s works.

Andreth gasped when a small black and white bird came hurtling from the sky, squawking loudly and in some agitation, to land on Holly’s head. The mad bird, or so she thought of it, pulled at Holly’s curls, tugging them as she flew upward as far as the strands would allow. It was as if the bird were trying to move the Hobbit along.

Olo came running back pellmell down the road, shouting something about a trap and did she have some rope. Once he had calmed a bit, and they had gotten the story from him, Holly bade him bring Peri along while she and Andreth ran forward with two ten foot coils of sturdy Hobbit rope.

Reaching the rim of the unnatural crater, they looked over the side to assess the problem. Holly called down to Estelarion. ‘You! Elf! Check on those other two and give aid as best you can. Gandalf, come listen to what he reports to you.’ She left him a coil of rope and bade Andreth assist him.

Olo had arrived with Peri in tow. Holly and he lowered one of the ropes in tandem, standing on each side of the struggling horse, Mornen, and secured the bow of it behind the forelegs and pulled tight against the swell of the horse’s belly. Alearindu spoke quietly, calming its fears with her gentle stream of words.

‘Come help!’ she called to Aislan and Hinura. Hold these ends of the rope while Olo and I bring Peri and Midnight closer.

The two Hobbits secured the ropes, one to the pony and one to the black steed. Then, each putting their shoulder to a horse’s chest they urged them backward, slowly easing the downed horse back from the lip of the trap. Once on solid ground, they left Mornen to the ministrations of Alearindu.

Olo gathered the rope they had used and both ran back to the others who were gathered by open pit, near where the wounded lay, to see how they might help

[ November 21, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-20-2002, 07:24 PM   #53
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Alearindu stood shocked for a moment, and then reacted. She dropped her pack on the ground and lunged forward, grabbing a hold of Mornen's mane and holding tight, bracing her feet into the earth. She was hoping to prevent him from falling on the others.

She held tight to Mornen's mane, the coarse hair slicing into her slender fingers and drawing a small amount of blood.

Aleaindu helped as much as she could with the people who were helping Mornen. She whispered soothing words and waited anxiously for them to get him up.

Once he was, she thanked the members, and then led him away slowly from the group. She flexed her stiff fingers which little streams of blood poured from.

Alearindu crouched down and ran her hands gently over Mornen's forelegs. She winced a little and sighed, not being able to do anything at the moment. She patted his chest and leaned against him.

Alearindu glanced back at the others and then called out:

"Master Gandalf! There should be a length of rope or two in my pack if it's needed. I'll be over to help in a moment as soon as I calm Mornen."

Alearindu put Mornen's muzzle between her raw hands and muttered more soothing words to him, until he stopped shaking and the whites around his eyes lessened. She wasn't sure if his legs were injured, so she told him to stay there, and then she walked back over to the group, and towards Gandalf.

"Of what help can I be, Master Gandalf?" She asked him.

[ November 24, 2002: Message edited by: TheLadyAerowen ]
Old 11-20-2002, 11:32 PM   #54
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

Celumëomaryu's mind did not resolve itself into the usual blank clarity that pacing should have brought her. She would not, under any circumstances, have admitted to sulking, but anyone else would have said that she sulked freely when an opportunity arose. An opportunity had arisen, and she wandered around the library in way that bore no resemblance to her usual strict pattern.

That Anna! Celumëomaryu was just about to make up her mind that she'd never liked the girl in the first place, or her airs, either musical or social, as she rounded a bookshelf and came up to the window. With the change of light, her thoughts shifted suddenly, and she realized that the cause of her distress was not Anna at all.

She couldn't calculate the number of dishes missing. How long had they had that set?

Her feet stopped. It was almost identical to a set they'd bought at Calimiel's birth, but the last of that set had been destroyed some years ago. This was another, and one that she was quite certain she didn't remember at all. Celumëomaryu had hidden a shard of that last bowl behind the shelf, and here it was. She turned it over and around in her hands as she turned the new set of shards over and around in her mind.

[ November 21, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 11-21-2002, 05:42 PM   #55
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel stood, looking into the hole. She tried to think, but nothing would come. She froze completely.

"Menelduliniel!" she heard the others shout, "Menelduliniel!"

She did not respond, however. She looked helplessly into the pit at the injured companions. What could she do? Nothing, she thought, she could not think to even move, so how could she do anything at all?

Estelarion rose and looked at Poppy and Volondil. Poppy was unconcious and Volondil was at least badly injured. He checked his own injuries and found them to be minor.

He went over to the side of the gaping hole. He shouted up, "Rope! We need rope!"

He heard the people scramble around up top. The poor horse that had nearly fell in had been pulled up. People's voices shouted.

"Menelduliniel! Menelduliniel!" Estelarion heard someone shout. She seemed to have frozen again. She had to stop doing that. One day it would be the death of her.

Estelarion shook his head to clear his mind and looked around, trying to plan a way out. Once they got the rope, if any had some, they needed to find safe footing on the sides to pull themselves up. They could probably manage without the walls, but it would be much easier.

Estelarion ran to Poppy and gently pulled the poor unconscious Hobbit into a sitting position to give him more room. He looked over to Volondil. Volondil had a massive spike piercing his skin. Estelarion ran over and pulled him off the spike, wincing at the blood that kept pouring out of the wound.

Estelarion sat Volondil next to Poppy and turned back around to inspect the walls. They seemed sturdy enough now. It seemed almost as if the pit had been dug just so one would be caught if he so happened to misfortunately step on the area.

"Hurry with the ropes!" Estelarion shouted up. He heard commotion still from above. He hoped that they would find the ropes soon. He did not know how they would be able to climb out without them...
Old 11-21-2002, 07:10 PM   #56
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Though Nardol did not expect further trouble from the bandits, he rode on in darkness for nearly two hours before making camp. As a further precaution, he lit no fire that night and slept under the dim light of the stars flickering between the branches of the trees.

For another full day he rode south until the hilly Downs was behind him. Then he turned and made his way southwest. In this way, he hoped to reach the Greenway where it intersected with the Old South Road. After another day's travel, the South Downs were directly to the north. He estimated that he had reached a point where the distances to Sarn Ford to the west and Tharbad to the southeast were nearly equal. Perhaps Tharbad was a bit farther.

He noticed that an uncomfortable silence seemed to blanket the land. Nary a bird nor and animal had he seen for some time. Nardol was discomfited by the silence and was watchful as he travelled. That evening as the sun set a flock of crows passed overhead, circling once above where he had made his camp. Again he lit no fire, and he slept little, kept wakeful by his unease. He heard the howling of wolves in the night from someplace to the south, but they did not draw near. Before dawn, he broke camp and mounted Rustal, eager to put these eerie lands behind him...
Old 11-21-2002, 10:24 PM   #57
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Hurrying to peer into the gloom of the pit, Gandalf called over his shoulder to Alearindu to please bring all the rope she could spare, and more if possible. *

* Bethberry was already there, healing with words and voice what lay beyond her physical grasp. * Estelarion! Staunch first the blood flow of the most grievously wounded, and then do the same for the other. They need be brought up for me to treat them properly. Meanwhile, use any cloth at your disposal.

* At these words, a spark came to Andreth's eyes at being able to lend assistance. She bounded over to Bethberry. * I've come well prepared, and glad to put some of these extra skirts and underskirts I'm wearing to the service of others. * No sooner had Andreth spoken of her generosity than she turned to deed, depositing several clean wearables into the hole until Estelarion was well supplied with linens. *

* When Estelarion called up with muffled voice that the wounded were bandaged, it was Gandalf's turn to provide guidance. * How many spikes stand in the ground unbloodied?

Three, * replied the Elf. *

* Gandalf sighed before turning businesslike. * 'Twill have to do. Uproot them from the ground, to plant them firmly in the wall, as crude steps or handholds. Standing as high up as you can get with the help of such cruel iron steps, lift up the Hobbit, Poppy Took. Hold her arms outstretched so we can slip a rope under them and around her middle, thus lifting her to safety. Volondil being heavier, we'll have to make due without the iron-spike stairway, toss the rope further, and haul him a bit longer.

* Peri and Midnight were once again called into service, with Holly and Olo again guiding the pony and horse, while Hinura and Alearindu (despite her hands burning with pain) held fast the ends of the rope. *

* Once Poppy Took was carefully placed on solid ground, Bethberry touched three drops of River Water from the Old Forest to the unconscious Hobbit's lips. Then, using water from another flask and some agrimony, Bethberry washed the leg wound and applied a poultice of horsetail to coagulate the blood. Volondil was tended in similar fashion. *

* At the last, Estelarion lightly sprang up out of the hole, aided by the iron-spike handholds. *

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 11-22-2002, 12:32 PM   #58
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Volondil lay on the ground, still as death. Blood, like a bright red flower, spread open its petals and grew large upon the outside of his tunic. He moaned, a low, weak sound that made the small black and white bird perched on a low limb above him, frantic with worry.

'Stop squawking so!' cried Holly. 'I'll need your help if we are to save him.' She held up a small bunch of sphagnum moss pulled from her small medicine kit. 'He has a large, deep gash in his side. We need to clean it, then lightly pack it to let it drain out any infection. Can you find some more of this moss for me to use? i have enough to take care of it now, but in about eight hours, we'll need to clean and pack it anew.'

The jackdaw flew down to take a closer look at the required moss. Holly indicated where in this area she might find additional patches of it in the wild. 'Take Peri.' she said. 'You can pack quite a bit of it into one of his side packs.'

She held out one other slender stem with a few silvery leaves on it. Try to find some of this, too, while you're at it.' The jackdaw arched her feathered brows and focused a beady black eye on the hobbit. 'It's King's Foil, good for wounds of all sorts, among other things.'

She turned back to the injured Ranger who lay before her, and cut open his shirt to fully expose the wound. 'Hurry!' she urged the jackdaw. 'Bring me what I need that I might help him.'

She took a flask of clean river water and sluiced the debris and clotted blood from the long wound. It was gaping, about 2 inches at the widest point where the spike had first touched flesh and then tapering down as it gouged itself along his mid ribcage. A rough poultice of aloe and King's foil was laid lightly along the length of the wound, which was then packed with moss and bound loosely with wide strips of cloth from Andreth's petticoat.

She sent Olo to fetch Mistress Bethberry and Gandalf. He cannot be moved right now.' she told them. 'Even a wagon would jolt him as it went along the bumpy road, and I fear his wound would open, and he lose more blood.' If you will, Olo, Bird and I will stay here and care for him until he is ready to travel. I have no doubt he can do some travel over short distances in two days time.' She looked directly at Gandalf. 'We will catch up to your group as we can.'

'Bethberry, if you will leave me some small supply of willow bark to keep his fever down, I would appreciate it.'

Volondil moaned once more, his eyelids fluttering under the burden of painful dreams. Holly turned back to him and propped him on his uninjured side as best she could, pulling his limbs into a position of comfort to him. She put her hand to his forehead, and leaned in low near his ear, murmuring words of comfort and rest.

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-22-2002, 12:45 PM   #59
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth was only too happy to be rid of her extra petticoats and skirts so that she could run and roam more freely, But these sad circumstances were a long way from what she'd been wanting or expecting. It looked as if Poppy and the Elf would make it through. But Volondil was another matter. Andreth was amazed at the quiet skill which Holly showed in healing and calming the injured man.

She heard Holly speaking about staying behind with him until he was able to travel again. Perhaps, there is something I can do, she thought. I know nothing of healing, but I do know a bit about transporting things because of going with father so much when he makes his selling rounds. Father wants me to go on this journey, but he would never tell me to turn my back on an injured companion.

Andreth got down on the ground to be closer to Holly and whispered some words in her ear. "I have an idea. Once, we were traveling to a distant town that had commissioned a tapestry, my brother broke his leg and couldn't ride. We were stranded in the middle of the forest without a wagon, so my father used twigs and young saplings to make a kind of stretcher or sledge to drag behind the horse. He showed me how to do it. It's not that different than weaving cloth, and I'm good at that."

"If you'd like, I'll stay behind with you and make one of those while you tend to the Ranger's wounds. I can also help you lift or turn him if you'd like."

Andreth did not want to point out the obvious fact that the man easily weighed twice as much as the hobbit, but she did want to offer assistance.

"Or, if you'd prefer not to do that, I can at least leave my pony Whinney with you. She's a very gentle beast to ride or can pull a cart if you manage to find one."

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 11-23-2002, 01:53 PM   #60
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Anna had ducked into one of the cells so she was out of sight of the Butler, but she peered through the bricks, watching. Why was he up here, making the maids clean the cells? It seemed even more ridiculous than cleaning downstairs; at least that part of the Catle was occupied. The Dungeon had never been much used even when the Castle had had living people in it. She continued to watch. He seemed most focused on the two cells on the North wall, the larger ones reserved for more important prisoners.

She watched for a few minutes more, until he released the maids back downstairs. She watched them float down the stairs and thought, Now what?

He went into the corner cell and vanished. Vanished!

She hurried over. How could he have disappeared so quickly? Nearly frantic, she searched everywhere in the cell, but found nowhere he could have gone. Eventually she gave up in frustration and went back downstairs, but she couldn't stop thinking about it. Where had he gone?

She was so focused on finding the Butler that she didn't even see the two prisoners in the adjoining cell, but a few seconds after she reached the bottom of the stairs leading to the second floor, the Butler nonchalantly came out of his room. By the Valar, how had he gotten there so fast?
Hello, she said to cover up the fact that she'd just arrived. The Butler gave her a suspicious and exasperated look, but only responded with his own perfunctory greeting before whisking down the stairs. She watched him go. She'd have to start being a little more observant around him...

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 11-23-2002, 02:45 PM   #61
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel watched, helpless as Estelarion climbed out with the small Hobbit and the others aided Volondil. Her mouth opened and closed a few times, but no words would come out.

"Menelduliniel?" Estelarion said, standing close to her and putting his hand on her arm. She finally turned and looked at him.

"I...you...it..." Menelduliniel studdered. She finally took a deep breath and managed to say, "That could have been the death of all three of you. Y-you could have died."

"Menelduliniel!" Estelarion said, surprised, "You have been in greater danger than this. Why do you fear this small mishap?"

"Look at Volondil," Menelduliniel whispered. Estelarion turned and looked at Volondil on the ground, being comforted by Holly as he turned in a feverish sleep.

"Yes, it was a great fortune that he did not perish in that pit," Estelarion said.

"That is what I mean," Menelduliniel said, desperately, "He could have met his death. You could have done so as well...I could not bear to lose more friends."

"You must not let this be your undoing, Menelduliniel," Estelarion said, comfortingly, still a bit startled that Menelduliniel was acting so strangely, "We will meet more peril along the way on this journey. You must not let this happen to you each time we face danger."

"Ai!" Menelduliniel exclaimed, looking at poor Poppy. The small Hobbit stirred a bit.

"She should soon wake," Estelarion said, "She was not badly injured. Why do you not go to her? A comforting face would be most helpful in her recovery if she woke to it."

Menelduliniel sighed and went over to the small Hobbit. She looked at the small figure and silently lamented that such innocence should be brought into such danger.

"Why could Hobbits not be content at home?" Menelduliniel whispered aloud to the slumbering Hobbit, "Why did you need to travel abroad? You are so precious to this Earth...why could you not just be happy with the lifestyle you led? Why did you need more."

As she spoke, Menelduliniel realized that she was sounding more and more like a hypocrite. All she was accusing Poppy of had been her downfall as well. She silenced herself and sat by the Hobbit, waiting for her to awake.

Meanwhile, Estelarion went over to Holly. He was happy his diversion had worked. This would quiet Menelduliniel down for a while and keep her out of their way while they had a chance to heal Volondil, who obviously had the worst injury.

"Is there nothing I can do?" Estelarion asked, worried.

"All we can do is wait for supplies," Holly replied, not letting go of poor Volondil or taking her eyes off of him, "We should be able to save him if they get here in time. If not..." she trailed off.

Estelarion sat on the ground next to Volondil and prayed that supplies would arrive in time.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:19 PM   #62
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Poppy stirred restlessly in her sleep, and slowly her eyes began to flutter open. She heard a voice, from far away it seemed, and as her eyes opened a face seemed to appear, although blurry and hazy. She blinked once or twice, and felt a dull pain in her leg, which soon passed.

As the blurriness disappeared, she realised the face and voice were that of Menelduliniel. Poppy tried to sit up and look around, seeing Volondil lying on the ground, people gathered around him, trying to heal him. She saw Estelarion standing nearby, slightly bruised. She frowned for a moment, trying to remember what had happened. They had just been walking along…her memory awoke. They had stepped onto nothingness, it had seemed, and fallen. At that point her mind had gone blank.

“Poppy, you’re awake!” gasped Menelduliniel. Poppy nodded, but looked away over to Volondil. She tried to remember what it was she had heard while waking up…”You are so precious to this Earth...why could you not just be happy with the lifestyle you led? Why did you need more." Poppy felt there was a lot more to Menelduliniel than first met the eye, something strange. But what, she didn’t know.

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: *Varda* ]
Old 11-23-2002, 07:52 PM   #63
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

With a slap on her withers, Holly sent her precious pony off the trail and into the woods. The jackdaw fluttered down into the saddle and as Peri disappeared into the trees, Bird morphed into women's form and seized her reins.

"Oh, this is what adventures lead to." Bird said in an angry, anguished mutter to the pony. "Injury and pain. And it's a lucky thing it didn't lead to worse. Who could have placed such a wicked trap on the trail? How could such a thing happen?"

Birdie thought of the brave, teasing Ranger, and the innocent young Poppy, both lying bleeding on the ground, and gave a shudder which caused the pony to flinch and pause. Why did no one see this pitfall? Why, even she didn't see it, high above the trail as she was.

Bird clucked to the reluctant Peri, and sent them both farther into the woods, searching for moss and the elusive Kingsfoil.

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 11-24-2002, 01:49 AM   #64
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly looked up at the red-haired woman who stood near her. ‘I really would appreciate it if you felt that you could stay with me while Volondil gains his strength.’ She motioned the woman to crouch down beside her. ‘What I will need you to do, first of all is to put together some shelter for us.’ She pointed out a place under the trees to the side of the road.

‘If you look in that heap over there where I piled the packs and extra supplies from Peri, there is a large tarp we can use for a lean-to shelter. Do you think you can get that set up with the aid of some of the other comapanions, and then see if you can find Volondil’s bedroll and perhaps borrow an extra blanket that we could use for padding.’

She checked his wound as she talked and noted that it had already begun to ooze a little through the packing. ‘My hatchet is there on the side of that first pack, cut some fir bows and we can use them for cushioning under his blanket.’ She put her hand on Andreth’s arm. ‘Thanks again, for offering to help. Now that I’ve thought on it, I’ll need help getting him to the shelter and in turning him. It will also be good to have two of us, so that we can keep watch – not just on him, but on the road also.’

Andreth stood and headed toward the piled packs. Holly called out to her. ‘Oh, and about that device for when we want to travel with him – it sounds like a good idea. But, still we’ll have to let his wound heal enough so that the slightest motion does not bring on bleeding.’

‘Bird,’ she thought to herself, looking in the direction the jackdaw and Peri had gone, ‘please, hurry back!’
Old 11-24-2002, 02:06 AM   #65
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* On observing Andreth commence plans to build a sledge for Volondil, Gandalf exchanged a careworn glance with Bethberry, a look that encompassed both present and past ... The first day out on a quest, the company was beset by injury grievous enough to require a sledge. They'd started from Rivendell in that other distant time of memory, not Sarn Ford. * "Haidan" * murmured Gandalf softly to the River Daughter's daughter. * "We did not leave him behind, but alas, he too soon left us."

* Addressing Holly now in a voice loud enough for all present to overhear, Gandalf spoke again. * The courage and generosity that you demonstrate in volunteering to stay behind with Olo, Bird and Andreth are noble traits indeed. Well spoken, Holly! ... But the ruffians responsible for the pit and its spikes undoubtedly count on such kindness as a secondary trap, should the first not fully accomplish its gruesome end. There's a saying along the Southern coasts: "Let the fish that escapes the hook beware lest the net ensnare him." Volondil cannot be moved, Poppy ought not move. And the urgency of Castle Maladil itself remains but a portion of the urgency of our road as a whole.

* Alearindu got to the heart of the matter with the keen common sense and practical brevity of a Ranger. * We'll camp here for a day or two, all of us.

* Bethberry nodded at once. * Though there be nightly noises, I'll bring to bear against it what song and light travels with me from the Old Forest.

* The wizard then let all Time stop around him while he smoked a pipe in Haidan's memory. *

[ November 24, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 11-24-2002, 05:01 PM   #66
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* The last embers of the wizard's pipe having now fully faded and gone out, Time resumed its normal course. *
Old 11-24-2002, 07:57 PM   #67
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Alearindu sighed softly and walked away from the group back to her horse. She patted his neck gently, and inspected his legs again. She couldn't tell if anything was, wrong, save for some small cuts and bruises.

She got her pack, and lead Mornen back over to where most of the company was.

"Are any of you more or less experts in horse care? I don't trust my judgement upon Mornen right now." Alearindu let out a small laugh and set her pack by a nearby tree, and resumed a position on the right side of Mornen.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:09 AM   #68
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Mornen nickered softly as Olo approached. 'Begging your pardon, Ranger,' said the Hobbit, 'but if you will allow me, I will see what injuries this fine creature might have.' He held his open left hand out to the horse, and felt the warmth breath from Mornen's nostrils as the horse lowered his head and took in his scent. He stepped closer and his right hand reached up to scratch the steed between the ears.

He moved his hands down the neck of Morwen, speaking quietly to him, and over the withers feeling for any lumps or cuts. Finding none, his hands moved gently down the horse's chest, checking for tenderness from forearm to fetlock on each front leg. Only a few small scrapes and tender spots were found, at the rear of each of the front legs, as the horse had slid down the side of the pit.

Of most concern to Olo was the barrel, that great part of the horse just behind the front legs. It had taken the brunt of the horse's weight as it hit the ground. He watched the horse as it breathed and saw only the regular rise and fall of the rhythm - no irregularities of breath as the lungs expanded against injured bone or muscle. A small area of tenderness on the left brisket was all that he found.

He bade the Ranger walk the horse about in a circle around him, and watched the legs closely. Motioning Alearindu to come to him, he smiled and said, 'He's a lucky one! A little sore, but nothing broken or torn. There are some scrapes and bruisings at the backs of his forelegs, just keep them clean. They need no ointments or special care.

Holly took a deep breath when she heard Gandalf's words. She mouthed a 'thank-you' to him, and turned her attention back to Volondil. She and Bethberry rolled him gently, side to side, placing a sturdy blanket beneath him as a sling.

Then she waved over a couple of the Bigger Folk and asked if they might help her move the Ranger to the shelter which Andreth had set up for him . . .
Old 11-25-2002, 11:37 AM   #69
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird finally came across a small seep, a trickle of water oozing out of the ground, which flowed over a tumble of rocks before disappearing back underground. There was plenty of moss around, and she got down off Peri, taking a small knife out of the pack to loosen the green velvet from the loam.

She had gathered several handfuls, stashing them into the pack, when, brushing off her hands she looked around her and realized that she wasn't quite sure which direction the trail lay. Bird wasn't too upset about this, just put a little off balance that her sense of direction seemed to have abandoned her. But in the tension and worry of the moment, she had not stopped to check landmarks and the direction she was going. She had just plunged off the track into the forest.

"But Peri will know the way back. That pony is probably the most sensible one in the whole party anyway." Bird could have just morphed into bird form and circled until she located the trail again, but she knew Holly would have her neck if she left Peri alone, even for a moment, in these deep woods. So Bird bent down to gather a last handful of moss before turning back.

And it was then that she heard the twig snap...

[ November 25, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 11-25-2002, 06:09 PM   #70
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Sting

"Shhh...stay," Menelduliniel whispered as Poppy tried to get up to go to the injured horse and quickly and found she could not do so, "We will most likely be staying at least nearby for the night. Volondil is in no position to travel. We must also wait for medicine. If we move, they will not know where we are. Do you feel well? Do you hurt anywhere?"

"Well, my head aches a bit, but, other than that, I feel pretty well," Poppy said, sitting rather than laying down fully.

"Well, at least you can sit," Menelduliniel smiled. She got to her feet and called to the others. "Poppy is awake! And she is well!"

The others mostly smiled briefly, but everyone's attention seemed mostly drawn to more serious injuries and planning what to do for the evening.

"Well, I am glad you are awake," Menelduliniel said, sitting next to Poppy, "What do you propose we do to pass the time, as I am not permitting you to stand for some time? At least not until you get your wits about you. Why not tell me about your life?"
Old 11-26-2002, 12:43 AM   #71
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth tried to help Holly as best she could. She did not have great knowledge of woodcraft, but she did have considerable skill and experience in the use of her hands.

Andreth had finished working on the sheltered lean-to. At least if harsh weather hit, the injured Ranger could be kept dry and warm. She began gathering the soft fir boughs that the hobbit had requested to place beneath the Ranger's bed. She also started cutting down the proper young saplings that would be needed to help make a sledge. Now that the entire camp was staying in one place, there were many who volunteered to aid in her work.

Andreth glanced around the encampment. She saw Whinney feeding on a few stray bushes, but nowhere could she see the horse that Holly called Peri. Quite a while ago, he'd drifted off towards the woods with a strange bird flying overhead in circles. But the bird was long gone, probably flown off someplace far distant, and she could not see the horse anywhere.

Holly had taken a short break from the side of the Ranger to get a drink of water. Andreth approached her and asked, "Do you know where Peri wandered off to? I haven't seen him in quite a while. I don't mean to worry you. Just wanted to make sure he was alright."
Old 11-26-2002, 03:43 PM   #72
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hinura sighed fretfully at seeing such a lovely day go downhill so quickly, then headed over to where Andreth was piling the fir boughs and saplings for the Ranger's sledge. Before coming West of the Misty Mountains, her family had lived in a small settlement that had gotten it's livelihood out of woodcraft. She wasn't an artisan of any such trade, but putting such a thing together wouldn't be difficult.
Rummaging through her pack, Hinura found a length of twine. Choosing the stronger saplings that Andreth had found, Hinura drew her knife and began to quietly fashion a frame for the sledge, glancing occasionally at the injured Ranger to judge his proportions to the proportions of the sledge.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:52 PM   #73
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

After eight days of riding, Nardol had reached the Greenway southeast of Sarn Ford. It had not been a pleasant journey. Although he had not been set upon by bandits or any others since his encounter during his second day of travel, something was clearly amiss in the lands he had passed.

He had come across no less than three traps in the area between the Greenway and the South Downs. One had been a hidden noose ready to be sprung by a bent tree. He had triggered that hazard before anyone could be harmed by it. Another had been a concealed pit covered with a light layer of rushes and dirt. Rustal had refused to step upon it and Nardol had collapsed its fragile covering with a rock.

The last had caught him entirely unawares. The path he had chosen passed through a cutting in the side of a small hill. Rustal had stumbled upon a concealed rope which had brought down a fall of logs and stones upon the path. Fortunately, Rustal had recovered quickly from his misstep and dashed forward out of harm's way. If he had been on foot, his fate might have been otherwise.

Nardol did not doubt that he might have bypassed other hazards without noticing them as he rode along his way. These lands were usually only sparsely inhabited but had never been dangerous save for the occaisional bandit or rogue. It seemed that Glorfindel had been correct. Some ill will had taken hold of the countryside and was threatening the Free Peoples. But this was not his concern.

Rustal clattered along the stones of the Greenway in the direction of Sarn Ford as the day faded. Less than a day's travel remained and he was eager to deliver Elrond's envelope and be done with this journey. Rustal whinnied and slowed. There was some commotion upon the road ahead...

[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 11-26-2002, 08:22 PM   #74
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Alearindu walked Mornen over to Olo and smiled a little as Olo reported what was wrong with Mornen. When she found out nothing was serious, she nodded and thanked Olo, and then led Mornen back near the tree.

She reached into her pack and pulled out a few wrappings. She knew Mornen didn't really need them, but the wrappings would support his legs more and prevent little cuts if they had to pass through any woods.

Mornen watched Alearindu as she put on the wrappings, and then snorted at her as she inspected the small wounds.

She thought for a moment, and then wondered about something. She motioned for Mornen to stay where he was, and walked over to Gandalf.

"Do you know of any Springs or bodies of water near-by?" She asked the wizard. " If there is, I'd rather either just lead Mornen there, or go fill up some bottles or soak some cloths to rinse his wounds. The wounds aren't horrible, but I'd rather them not get infected, no matter how small."
Old 11-27-2002, 08:45 AM   #75
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aislan felt rather helpless and useless. She helped as much as she could during the company's mishap, but it didn't seem enough to her.

Aislan knew the horse Mornen was alright, but the cuts that dotted a few spots between the horses' hoofs and knees. Some were bloody, but nothing that couldn't be easily fixed. Two of the lovely animal's legs had bandages on them, probably for support.

Aislan smiled and patted Mornen's forhead. Mornen had dark brown eyes, like most horses, but Mornen seemed different from other horses.

Aislan jumped back when someone tapped her shoulder. It was Alearindu.

"Hello. I don't suppose we've been properly introduced. I'm Alearindu. This is Mornen, and he is spoiled rotten." Aislan smiled at Alearindu and shook her hand.

"I am Aislan. Your horse is beautiful!" Aislan commented, telling the absolute truth. Mornen grunted as though he heard.

"Yes, thank you. Anyway, I was just off to a nearby creek to wash his cuts. Would you like to come?" Alearindu looked at Aislan with kindness in her eyes.

"I would love to!" Aislan exclaimed.

Aislan followed Alearindu as she led Aislan and Mornen to a small creek, closer than Aislan had thought it would be. Aislan took a small cloth from her pack and began to dampen it with the water from the stream.

"It was a good idea, with those bandages. He won't get as many cuts, so long as the bushes he passes by are short." Aislan commented, avoiding Mornen's kick as the cloth she held to his leg stung him.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:16 PM   #76
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

Poppy sighed, then laughed. Having never been asked to talk about her life before, she was at a loss as to where to start.

“Well…” she said, pausing. “I suppose it all began one fine day, 33 years ago, when little Poppy Took was born, to be the bane of her parents lives! I was always tearing off to the distant places of the Shire, I would follow my brothers wherever they went. I had no sisters, so the boys were really my friends…”

“I would disappear for days on end, sometimes. I always knew my heart didn’t completely belong in the Shire…don’t get me wrong, I love the Shire, and all (well, almost all) the people in it, but there was always that longing for adventure in me. I just couldn’t stay still!” Menelduliniel nodded, thoughtfully.

“So, that was really how I spent my childhood. If we had days to spend, sitting here discussing my childhood, I could tell you so many tales, stealing mushrooms, for which my brothers and I had a particular fondness, the games we used to play…I even thought I saw Elves in the woods once, which was a huge excitement at the time…but we don’t have days to sit here and talk.” Poppy sighed, briefly.

“When I was coming out of my ‘tweens’, as we call it, everyone expected me to grow up, become more ‘lady-like.’ There was no thought that scared me more, than settling down to get married, running a home, looking after a bunch of screaming kids. I could never have made them behave; I’d be encouraging them to be bad! So, here I am now. I continued to travel, and by chance ended up in the Inn at Sarn Ford, where I met you fine people!” Here, Poppy smiled.

“So, that’s my life, the shortened version at any rate. But you still remain a mystery to me, so I’m afraid its your turn to tell me all about yourself!” Poppy laughed as Menelduliniel frowned. “It’s your own fault for taking up with an inquisitive hobbit like myself!”

[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: *Varda* ]
Old 11-28-2002, 05:09 PM   #77
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

"My tale," Menelduliniel replied in a resigned voice, "Begins 2921 years ago in Mirkwood. I was born to Laeron and Draugien, two servants of King Thranduil.

"My childhood was merry, I recall. I played with other children, including the children of nobles. We all got along. There was no class tension.

"When I grew old enough, I begged and begged Lord Thranduil to allow me to join the shieldmaidens. Servants generally did not join those ranks. It was mostly noble women. But, the benevolent Lord enabled me to join the ranks of those above me.

"I trained as hard as I possible could. My real talent is with daggers. I know how to work with a bow as well, but I am not too accurate."

Menelduliniel sighed and continued, "My master was Poldorawen. She was the daughter of an Elf very high in society. She was not a kind master. She worked her women hard. I suppose it was for our own good. She trained us to be fast, taught us to be the 'best'. Although I admit none of us could compete with a man in strength, we could sneak up on him and surprise him any day.

"There is something else I should tell you. All my life, I had been friendly with the Prince. Do you know of him? His name is Legolas. When I reached maturity, however, I began seeing him in a new light. He, however, saw me in a 'new light' as well. He gained more responsibility and knew that he could not associate with his father's servant.

"His eyes also wandered to Poldorawen. He never thought of me as a love, I suppose, but he thought more of her than he ever thought of me in any way. Soon, they announced their engagement.

"Around that time, a few of my friends from training disappeared. No one knows where they went. I think that Poldorawen had something to do with it, but others say that I am paranoid. They also say that I am just jealous. I may be, that is true, but I still believe she did something.

"I guess I just snapped. That was about fifty-seven years ago. I still remember it as though it was yesterday. I can feel my daggers in my hands and feel them cutting into her. I can feel her blood on my hands.

"She taught us to be the best. She really did. I used that talent for my own advantage...and for her demise.

"I knew what I had done right after I had committed the crime. I knew I had to run. So, I ran.

"I ran into the wild with Salkadome. Ah, that was a different Salkadome. He perished of old age. This," Menelduliniel said, gesturing weakly to her horse grazing nearby, "Is a different horse. Named in his honor. I have had a few horses, as they do not have the curse of eternity.

"I ran blindly," Menelduliniel said, continuing the story, "Not caring where I went. Salkadome carried me to I know not where. It seemed to be days, but it was probably merely hours. I could not see. For some reason I was blind. All I know is that soon his gallop stopped.

Menelduliniel stopped, breathing hard for a moment, her eyes fixed on the ground. She then continued, "There was Orcs. There were lots of them. They took me off of Salkadome. He was spared, I know not why. I guess fate saved him...as it saved me.

"It happens that there was an Elf in their clutches as well. Estelarion was his name. He had been wandering the land. He was the son of a fairly high-standing noble family. He got bored of his life, however, and wandered off to explore what was in the wide world. He was about one-hundred years my senior.

"They carried us for some time, I imagine. I remember absolutely nothing from those times. That is to my advantage, Estelarion says. I do not know what happened...nothing.

"I remember him carrying me. I was on his horse. I know now that horse was named Kelendrilroch. His current horse is Amanroch. We galloped far, far away. I still know not how he got me away.

"I recovered in time. Estelarion stayed with me. I told him to leave, but he would not listen.

"When I recovered my strength, we continued together, neither of us knowing where to go. I knew that I would probably not be welcomed into any civilized location.

"We wandered from town to town, staying in Inns and listening to the news of the area. We continued like that for about thirty-five or thirty-seven years.

"In that time, we found ourselves in Harad, the lands to the far South. Everything there was different...different and better. It was a whole new society and I started a whole new life. I soon learned the major language of Harad. I also picked up the singing style and the dancing...ah, the dancing...I much desire to return to Harad...Anyway, Estelarion and I found ourselves travelling with the Huin-en-Luig, the Hearts of Dragons. They were all bandits, but they were performers as well.

"Nearly all I own they gave me. They may have taken it from others, but they still clothed me.

"They were all like me. All criminals, some wrongly accused, some rightfully. We were like a family. But, all things must end...

"About twenty years ago, we got tired of our roaming and tried to return to Mirkwood. We snuck in, unnoticed. If I had remained quiet and had just returned to Laerion and Draugien, things may have been better. If I had slowly come back into society...

"But...but I had to see Legolas. I waited one night and snuck into his chamber. He soon returned. His greeting was not a warm one.

"We began to fight. He told me to leave or he would slay me himself. He claimed to still love Poldorawen. I do not believe his lies.

"I told him everything...everything. I told him my love for him. He just laughed and told me that, if I loved him, I would not rip out his heart as I had done. I fled then. I fled and I have not returned since."

Menelduliniel had begun to breath hard again, shaking a bit. She calmed herself and continued. "We have travelled since then. We visited the Huin-en-Luig every so often, but the majority of our time was spent in small Inns in Human cities and towns. That is where we met Mithrandir.

"Mithrandir...Mithrandir has been the kindest of any race I have ever met. He is one of the Istari and therefore commands respect and devotion. He, however, has been as a friend...more of a grandfather...to me, despite my history. He has allowed Estelarion and me to aid him on his important quests.

"I feel that, if I ever am allowed back into society, it will be Mithrandir's doing. I do not ask it of him, for I do not need it now. I still cry at nights, but I have friends now. Estelarion has been more of a companion than I could ever hope for. He is my best friend. I fear, however, that, one day, he will come to his senses and find a wife. Then I will, again, be alone.

"And this is where you find me," Menelduliniel concluded, wiping her eyes and unclenching her white knuckles. She laughed bitterly, "Are you not thrilled that you asked my story? Ah, well, at least it passed the time, yes?"

She looked at the Hobbit's surprised face, and laughed again, this time a little more merrily.

"I must say," she said, "That is the best look I have ever received for my history. Usually people either shun me or act fairly neutral. Thank you for that, at least...it may not be a horribly tragic history, but it felt that way to live through it..."
Old 11-28-2002, 07:07 PM   #78
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Alearindu smiled at Aislan, and waved at Gandalf as she led Mornen and Aislan away from the company, into the woods, and to a creek to wash Mornen's wounds.

She kept her ears and eyes open for anything. Alearindu's head darted to where a bird flew off. She wondered why she was so tense, but shook her head and continued on.

Mornen snorted as Alearindu led him into the cool creek. Alearindu held him while Aislan cleaned his wounds.

"I thank you, Aislan, for helping me." Alearindu smiled at her. "Do you seem..more alert or tense since we left the company? I may be overreacting, or maybe it's just my ranger senses setting in, since there are only two of us."

Alearindu sighed, but to attempt to calm herself, she unshealted her sword and held it by her side. She remained cautious, and glanced around all the time.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:20 PM   #79
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aislan smiled at the thought.

"I suppose I am a bit more tense. I probably am, considering I never had to worry about such things back home. Calm down, nothing too bad will happen." Aislan tried to reasure Alearindu.

"How can you be so sure?" Alearindu still had her sword in hand

"I just am...I guess." Aislan repsonded as she stood up. She pat Mornen on the forehead. "All better Mornen, and sorry if the water stung." Aislan apologized to the horse.

"Let's go then. Maybe I won't be so tense if we join the group." Alearindu stared walking back through the trees and Aislan smiled as Alearindu flinched a little at every sound.

When they joined the group again, Mornen trotted off to find some nice grass.

Everything is mostly fine so far... Aislan thought to herself. Not too much more could go wrong....could it?

[ November 29, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 11-29-2002, 05:22 PM   #80
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

Poppy couldn’t repress the look of shock that adorned her face. At this, the elf laughed, and Poppy could not help but giggle slightly. She had no idea why, and suddenly felt that she was being very rude, and tried to suppress it.

“I’m sorry,” she said, in a choked voice. “It’s just…I’ve never really heard anyone’s life story before, and of all the ones to hear, that’s just….rather surprising! And unexpected!”

Menelduliniel laughed a little again. “It came as a shock then?”

“Definitely,” Poppy said. “Mine feels…rather boring now!”

“If to make your life interesting involves having my life, I’d rather be boring,” replied Menelduliniel. “In any case, I’m anticipating hearing some interesting tales from you, Poppy! I still want to hear all about your life in the Shire!”

At that, the elf and hobbit heard a call from nearby.

“They want us to help,” said Poppy ruefully. “You will just have to wait, and hear my stories another time!”