The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2002, 04:52 PM   #1
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Gollum should sue!

Quote:
"Is it nice, my preciousss? Is it juicy? Is it scrumptiously crunchable?" - Gollum, The Hobbit
I heard the brand new ad campaign for Vlasic pickles as I was cruising the Downs, and almost fell out of my chair.

In the ad, a couple of children are apparently about to share some Vlasic pickles. One child asks: "Is it juicy? Is it crunchable?" The tag line of the commercial is "Vlasic pickles. Juicy and crunchable!"

If this wasn't lifted straight from Gollum's most famous line, I'll eat my hat!

I'm afraid I'll never be able to look at a jar of Vlasic pickles now without busting out laughing. A shame, really, for they are pretty good pickles. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:31 PM   #2
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh my gosh! That's so funny! I can't wait to see it!!

Y'know, if that wasn't for real, I wouldn't be surprised if it was from "Middle-earth Commercials"...

~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-28-2002, 01:16 AM   #3
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Birdie, that's ... alarming. It's hard to believe the advertisers made that association on purpose (though frankly, if they're going to call a car "Cressida" as in "O false Cressid! Speak all untruths beside thy name and they'll seem glorious!" I wouldn't put anything past them).

I've always thought that some lawyers have a large streak of Gollum-ness in them (utter servility while down, hands around your windpipe while up). So it would be only fitting. Though how they could make out that the commercial had somehow harmed him or deprived him of royalties would be a trick (and anyway, did he ever COPYRIGHT that slogan? Tsk tsk, he should think of these things in advance).
Old 11-28-2002, 05:40 PM   #4
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Have you seen the new Harry Potter? Dobby says, "YOU SHALL NOT...*pause just long enough to get you all hopeful and ready to pound the closest thing to you (even if it's a head) on the ground just to eminate the motion)*...HARM HARRY POTTER!. That is, of course, directed at Lucius Malfoy. My mom almost fell off the seat at the movie theater and she began to laugh very hard...I just sat there with my mouth dangling open, then proceeded to laugh nearly just as hard, but a lot quieter...
Old 11-28-2002, 10:57 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

*Insert Lurtz-ish snarl*

The thieeeeves, the flithy little thieves...sss.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 11:15 PM   #6
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That is funny.

Have any of you seen the new Nature's Best dog food commercials - from Science Diet??

It starts of by showing a field and the voice-over is "Doesn't wear shoes, Likes to run naked in the meadow.... with friends." Then it shows this big golden retriever running through the meadow. Then the add for the Dog Food.

Every time I see this, a smile comes across my face as I think of the Hobbits in "Fog on the Barrow Downs."

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 03:11 PM   #7
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

There's also a video game where they have the music from Lord of the Rings in it so that, every time I see the ad, I think it's for a Lord of the Rings something-or-other, but it turns out to be for Warcraft III or something like that (I'm guessing at the "Warcraft" part...I remember that is is "III" though).
Old 11-29-2002, 04:42 PM   #8
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hehehe. My friend is currently using gollums adding s' to the end of words for a character in my RPG forum (neopets). I wish I could think up great jokes like you guys (and gals).

Hmmmmmmm........er.......mmmmm..... *cough*........*cricket*.......*precioussssss*.... ...*clang*................*GIRLY SCREEM*

Gollum: Oh wellsssssss... it was only worth 5p.......... oh wait! That was the real one.... SORRY PJ!

That's hardly funny. Oh well [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]