The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2003, 10:46 AM   #121
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Quote:
I see that comment was made back in May, so that may explain why you like Anwanelme. Since everyone now seems to truly hate her as if she is Sauron himself. I wonder why...
She's so bad, she's good! Anwanelme may be a complete biatch, but she is an incredible character.

Some of my favourite characters who haven't been played by yours truly:

Maikadilwen's Rhana from Ride to the Dark Side.

Elora's Vanwe in The Green Dragon.

Envinyatar's Tenzin and Rhūnnaro from Escape from Nurn.

Brinniel's Raye/Corrowyn from The Shadows of Umbra (and soon Silvandl!)

Birdland's Elfred from Wolf Run.

Piosenniel's Pio from The Green Dragon.

Nevtalathiel's Thrakatburz from Rivendell.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:58 AM   #122
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

First I have to praise Ealasaid(Kaldir and Benia), Elora (Vanwe and Niaore), Snowdog (Silvanis/Hanasian) and Hilde (Gilly) for their brillant characters in the Green Dragon inn and thank them for allowing a complete novice into their midst [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I also have to agree with Lyra and Ealasaid, Pio's character Jamķlah is a complete joy to read. I also have to say that the Dark Seduction is my favourite of the Rpg's I have played in, the writings of all involved are outstanding [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Others deserving of praise are:

Sophia for Rysha in the Footsteps of the grey company. (Nori won't forget ever forget their battle [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

Maikafanawen for Durvagor, from The Summons. (I still think your river crossing post in that Rpg was fantastic [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

Reading the above posts makes me wish I had more time to read some of the other Rpgs, that I'm not involved in. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

As to my character's, my favorite has to be eh...um... eh I don't really know I liked writing all of them, but I fear I have not done them justice [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] But saying that right now I am really enjoying writing my new character Taurėwen the elven healer in Fall of Greenwood the great [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2003, 03:35 PM   #123
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Quote:
Elena Elena Elena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lyra dear I can“t believe I“ve ignored you in this thread......Elena rox! I never thought it would be this fun to play a secondary character...thanks for everything.
Manardariel, dear, Lyra's character is Emilia... Elena is Varda's character [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img].

Nerindel- Thanks! Rysha was my first try at being evil, and I loved it. You've done a very good job at it yourself with Ghurdan in Dark Seduction.

And I want to put in a few good words for the writers in the White Horse just now.

Idgian's Madi is wonderful to read.

Bethberry has something very interesting going with Ruthven,

and Im immensely fond of Lyra's Theora and Kryssal's Shrae and Reen.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 07:35 PM   #124
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Elena Elena Elena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lyra dear I can“t believe I“ve ignored you in this thread......Elena rox! I never thought it would be this fun to play a secondary character...thanks for everything.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manardariel, dear, Lyra's character is Emilia... Elena is Varda's character
Lyra also plays an Elena in Swan Wood. So many Elenas! There was one in Betrayal of Trust too, if I remember correctly, played by Ransom. I'm sure there are/were a lot of other Elenas besides, too!

I like Sophia's character Khasia in Dark Seduction. She's so evil and power-hungry I can't help but love Khasia! She's worse than Jasara and will be a great priestess, aye? Not to mention the wonderful job done by Pio as Jamilah & co., and Ealasaid as Ahmad & co! But I love all the characters from Dark Seduction! I have also become a member of the Najah fan club. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

I enjoy reading all of Betrayal of Trust. Though when it ends we will barely have passed one page, the story/plot as a whole has gone all over the place and is so intricate, and I think it's almost amazing that we've taken the characters so far in only one page. I especially look forward to Halasan's death. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Just kidding.

Same thing goes for everyone in Brotherhood. I know we've had some schedual troubles but the story has come so far and everyone is doing a wonderful job! Cuth, Maika, Aman, Daniel Telcontar, and Durelin have all done such wonderful jobs.

I also admire Taralphiel and her patience/leadership in Swan Wood through missing players and the unfortunate need to kill off one or two.

Good job everyone! I also love Madi from the White Horse! Minky Ting! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

-Aylwen
Old 08-13-2003, 03:19 AM   #125
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

This is really hard! I love all my RPG characters, but my favourites would probably have to be the two brothers Maikadurion and Laitalathion, partially because Maikadurion was the first I wrote a death scene for (as anyone who has ever killed off their character will know, it's incredibly hard to do), partially because they were the first male characters I wrote for, and partially because they helped give me an idea for a novel. But I think all my characters are candidates for my favourites because they all have qualities that I like about them.

Edit: The three RPGs I've been in have had fantastic characters, but I do have a couple of favourites:
  • Fingil - To Rescue Celebrian
  • Elentari - Cirith Ungol

[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: Airerūthiel ]
Old 08-13-2003, 12:05 PM   #126
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thank you Manardariel! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I have to admit I love playing Elena and I love Fiona too. It's a lot of fun playing 8 year olds...
Quote:
I never thought it would be this fun to play a secondary character
That's because we're the most over-used secondary characters in the world...EVER!

Plus I agree with what you said here, Aylwen:
Quote:
I also admire Taralphiel and her patience/leadership in Swan Wood through missing players and the unfortunate need to kill off one or two
And Sophia's very patient in 'A House Divided' too. Leadership is very important!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 06:29 PM   #127
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Wow, I've met up with so many new and interesting RPG characters since the last time I posted.

Elora, Maika, and Arien for their interesting family in Corsairs and Corsets that seem so much like real people, as well as their strong writing.

Madi and Anwir from The White Horse are a lot of fun to read, and Anwir is going to be great to work with.

All the rest of the characters from Corsairs and Corsets, but a special mention goes to Pelien played by Alak.

And as for my characters, though they are completely new, I'm having a blast with Melilot Sackville-Baggins and Hamson Cotton at the Green Dragon.

And some older characters that deserve to be mentioned again...

All the Star sequel characters remain favorites, as well as the original Star.

Orual's Rie, who was at the Dragon, the Horse, and the BD BD (Barrow-Downs B-Day).

Eruantalon's delightful hobbit from Hobbit's Gift.

Manardariel's Pearl Took from Hobbit's Gift.

Every single hobbit in The Long Winter. Memories of that game are so many. It was probably the best game I ever had the privilege to play in.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:18 PM   #128
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
First I have to praise Ealasaid(Kaldir and Benia), Elora (Vanwe and Niaore), Snowdog (Silvanis/Hanasian) and Hilde (Gilly) for their brillant characters in the Green Dragon inn and thank them for allowing a complete novice into their midst
Nerindel, many thanks for including Gilly in the group! And as for being a complete novice, I would hardly think that you are! Léspheria is a wonderful character and I so look forward to reading more about Amandur in The Lingering Darkness. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

PS I'm the true novice all being said. This is my first proper RPG! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:44 AM   #129
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sting

Thankyou Aylwen and Lyra!! *blushes* I have a very strong attatchment to that story, so I dont want to ever give up on it!! Elena, Jesslyn, and Cartil are favourite charas of mine! Im so glad you write in Swan Wood!!

Apart from them, I have a few favourite chara's from my RPG and others:

Annunfuin:by Annunfuiniel. He is so warm and protective and wonderful, and still a warrior!

Gaeriel: By Annanalaiath (sorry about the spelling!) I lovely evil character with a loving twist!!!

Rudhchamion: Thalionyulma hasnt been here in a while. Her writing style has always impressed me so much! Rudhchamion is a closed off character, but Ive always loved Rp'ing alongside him!
Taralphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 05:30 AM   #130
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well in The Fall of Greenwood The Great at the moment, id have to say Ihwesta played my maika is my fave.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 11:24 PM   #131
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

I must say that I didn't like Gilbereth (played by Eladain Moruviel) in The Fall of Greenwood the Great at first, but he kind of grew on me. (Or maybe it was the writer [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ) Also in Greenwood, I think that Nerindel's character Taurewen is wonderful.

In the Green Dragon, my own character is having a bit of a dilemma about which of the two men at her table she likes more. I have the same problem [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Gorothlamothiel's Soronume is very interesting to read about and Dynaviir (played by Dynaviir) is quite intriguing.

In Flight from Rohan, I think Brytta (played by Himaran) is pretty cool, and I'm enjoying the rivalry between my character Hama and Pio's Archim. Also Carrun's Awyrgan.

And in the game that just finished, Dark Seduction, I really enjoyed Sammael. I think Lyra played him. (Too bad he couldn't save Falia...)

And that's about all I can say for now.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #132
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I think that it may be time to resurrect this great thread.

For myself: it's hard to decide which of my own characters is my favourite -- it's like choosing a favourite child! But I suppose I would have to say that my very first character, the one I invented for my first post on the Downs at the Green Dragon, has a special place in my heart. Snaveling began as a rogue and and vagabond, but through his interactions with other gifted gamers he soon evolved into something far more interesting...Tar-Corondir, as he is now known, continues to surprise me.

As to a favourite character from someone else, it is even harder to single one out. I am loathe to do so even, for fear of appearing as though there were not a whole slew of incredible characters in the rpgs I've been fortunate to play in. But of them all, I would have to say that probably my very favourite is Bethberry's Queen Bekah from Shadow of the West. Bekah was everything one wants in an rpg character: compelling, complex and powerfully drawn. Even her death gave the game whole new directions and dictated much of what happened later.

EDIT I could not resist coming back to put in a special word of awe, regard and gratitude to Aman for her Innkeeper persona at the Green Dragon. My most enjoyable gaming experiences have all come in reaction to that wonderful maiden.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #133
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
What a difficult question! I've not really thought about it before, I suppose, but now that I do, I'm finding that the younger the character, the more attached I am (which may explain why I have more difficulty attaching myself to Elvish characters...) I really enjoyed writing Sondo in my RPG 'Sailing Away.' In many ways, I suppose he is a male version of me, slightly exaggerated in some points and diminished in others. Actually, if you combine him and my first ever character in the Green Dragon, Lily (who I also grew very attached to), you'd probably have a fair idea of me. (Hm... if that's true, Nuru probably knows me pretty well by now ) Ah... back on topic. The two other characters that spring to mind are Siamak from 'Shadow of the West' and Adranel from 'Siege of Gundabad.' The former was a really interesting experience for me because (especially in the beginning) he was so different from most of the characters I've written. When I wrote Adranel, I alternated between feeling really bad for her and wanting to knock some sense into her... Another very interesting experience. So I guess my two 'favorites' are Sondo and Siamak, then Adranel, and Lily in a close fourth. I still sometimes wonder about what might have happened to those last two...

As for a favorite character of someone elses... I'll have to think about that one. So many characters to choose from... Hm. I'll let you know when (if ) I ever decide.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:50 AM   #134
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Quote:
I really enjoyed writing Sondo in my RPG 'Sailing Away.' In many ways, I suppose he is a male version of me, slightly exaggerated in some points and diminished in others.
Literally dimished, I hope - unless Firefoot really is a hobit?!

Well called, Fordim - it doesn't seem like nearly two years since I've answered this thread. Some of them stay the same, of course - Elora's Vanwe (now called Uien) from the Green Dragon is still one of my favourites, even, or maybe especially, from her much earlier posts. Some other Green Dragon favourites include...

- Snaveling/Tar-Corondir (Coriander!) played by Fordim Hedgethistle - and this is far from being any sort of tit-for-tat response to Fordim's kind words (thank you very much, by the way ). This rogue has run Aman, and many of the staff and customers of the Dragon, a merry dance over the past couple of months! His rogue-ishness is delightful, but Snaveling also had hidden depths, and the way Fordim has played him and allowed Aman to respond has been a pleasure to play, and a pleasure to read.

- Hanson played by Arry. Arry is one of my favourite players, and Hanson has stayed in the Dragon for a fair while now. The dialogues between him and his friends, and the way the hobbit boy views the adults of the Green Dragon make Hanson's posts great to read.
Quote:
I've not really thought about it before, I suppose, but now that I do, I'm finding that the younger the character, the more attached I am
Firefoot, I agree - I suppose this is an example of that...

- Tevildo played by Tevildo - the feline scoundrel!

To follow on Firefoot's shamefully egotistic line of thought (), I have played a few characters recently who I have been rather fond of. Faerim, in 'Fall of the North' (The Shire) is a character who I've had fun playing. He's a seventeen year old boy, so fairly close in age to myself, and I guess there's a fair bit of myself in him...he's just more confident...and male...
Old 07-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #135
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am also very fond of Faerim .... Now I have finished with lycanthropy for a bit .. I will get back to Erenor

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #136
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Hooray!
Old 07-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #137
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Well, I have been role-playing in a while, so this will be calling up some Old School games that a lot of you probably don't even really remember.

Okay, firstly, I played Barzūn, a Dwarf in Resettling the Lost Kingdom. It's the only time I have ever played a Dwarf - and it was one of the best times I've had. I don't think I necessarily did a fantastic job, but it was so interesting playing a character from such a race. We really don't know all that much about Dwarves - Tolkien gave us far more insight into the world of Men and Elves. And Dwarves were so different from any other race on Middle Earth.

I blushingly admit that I really liked Castar and Windheneb. They were in The White Horse Inn, Act II. It was really to get over my quiet fear of playing male characters - if you look, I do not play men that often. I just think I'm not so good at it - they always come across as very feminine men, in my opinion. It may just be my paranoia, I don't know.

And to be honest, there were some games where I was absolutely miserable - without a doubt (no names, don't worry). Another reason I quit - I kept falling into games where half of the members were absent three-quarters of the time, often including me. Tempers grew short, the owners weren't the most organized. But I do have an idea for a game brewing in my own mind. It'll have to wait until I come back from vacation, probably, since I leave in a little over three weeks. It'll give me time to work on it more. *Rubs her hands together and gives a sinister little smile*
Old 11-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #138
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

It's back. Admittedly, I haven't had the time to get fully involved in an RPG for about six months now - saaad - but I hereby hand this thread over to the new generation of RPGers! Share, do: your favourite RPG characters, your own and other players', your favourite RPGers themselves, and reasons why.

For a quick, updated version, I was recently skimming through a few old threads, and came across the last game I was involved in, and sadly neglected near the end, I'm sorry to say. But it had some remarkable characters in it! I've always been a fan of corsair RPGs, such as the Ambassador's Son, but Numenorean Blood Runs Black was a fantastically enjoyable game to play in.

Anguirel, ever a joy, came out with a perfectly wicked character: Sangalazin. Evil, thou knowst know wisdom until you've taken a leaf out of this guy's book...and yet, at the same time, he was both beautiful and charming. The embodiement of the spoilt brat of the richest king in the world. And Anguirel himself - you're a marvel to play with: reliable, creative and dependable, as well as having such a wit - 'banter', I believe you Southerners would call it...

On my own side, I can add to my repertoire a new favourite character to play, or one of my favourites at least: Captain Chatazrakin Telmenzar, or merely Rakin for short. Ooh, I do love playing pirates - v. fun.

And I don't know why I didn't previously mention this - I suppose I concentrated mainly on the characters of the now-extinct Green Dragon in my last post - but the games Shadow of the West and The Ambassador's Son as well. Two excellently constructed games that allowed me to play around with excellent characters and settings. Extraspecial mentions do, however, go to Maikafanawen and Nuranar for creating that game (there were too many brilliant characters and writers to pinpoint one or two - Devon, Jythralo, Adeline, Calnan...); and to Fordim , of course, for the Shadow: he makes an excellent baddie! And my particularly 'co-actor', Firefoot: always one of my favourite RPGers...

Good times.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #139
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I had forgotten about this thread!

Good to have you back, Aman. We've missed you in the RPing world (not that I'm suggesting you need to come back to it or anything... ).

Some newer favorties: CaptainofDespair's cameo as Ulfang in Treachery of Men already seems to be too bloody interesting (and crazy!), and the game's just started! Ang has really out-done himself with that game. It's going to be incredible. I'm so happy to play again with Fordim, Celuien, Mithalwen, and Kath.

In The Fellowship of the Fourth Age: A New Beginning I think everyone deserves a lot of kudos. It's seven pages long, and we still haven't united the three groups that were essentially supposed to start out together. It's been a wonderful game, with some amazing characters. Regin Hardhammer, Undome, Firefoot, Child of the 7th Age, and Nogrod have all taken on the insane task of playing as "good" Orc characters as either major or minor characters, and they simply amaze me for doing so. And they've done such an excellent job.

It's been great fun to play with Nogrod's Hadith and Brinniel's Shae, as well as the whole "Fellowship": Pio, Child, Folwren, Tevildo, and Hilde. Folwren's Athwen is a marvellous heroine, and Hilde's Carl has made me really want to play as a Hobbit again. Special kudos to Pio for her very "different" character; he's unique, lovable, and so incredibly well done - and is such a difficult sort of character to "do" well, I think.

Really, I'd just like to say how spoiled I am because of the roleplaying here! Everyone's just so...good!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #140
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Reader, I married them....

so obviously, I remember Angore and Ondomire with particular affection

Of my own characters, I feel I could have written a lot more of Elfride, there was loads of stuff I knew about her and didn't use. May have to take her to the Mead Hall .. but I "my boys" need to be my priority for a while..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 11-21-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #141
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I love this thread.

In Island of Sorrow I could list everyone who played...but I think Oremir, by Envinyatur, was a particularly tragic character, forced very much against his will into the West.

I remember Aman's Rakin with awe and respect, and I also liked Alcarillo's Gondorian captain in Numenorean Blood. I hold out hope for a sequel...

Audrey's Skittles in ATM II is just a hoot.

But the supreme prize goes to Firefoot's Grimkul and Ulwakh, (have I got their names right?) who gripped me as a spectator in Sirannon.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:51 PM   #142
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Red Flows the Sirannon was my first RPG ever. In it, I met a whole handful of memoriable characters and although I've played a couple games since then and am busy in several now, I can't say that I have enjoyed writing so much since.

My character was Bror, a young dwarf from Moria. He was a ton of fun to play - more than I expected. I'd never written about a dwarf before and it was a ton of fun. He might be my favorite character that I've written thus far. . .but I dunno. Athwen cuts a close second. My captain fellow in Numenorean Blood Runs Black was fun, too.....

Bror's two brothers were Skald and Riv and these two great characters were played by Poi and Arry. I laughed many times while reading those two's posts, and I cried when Pio killed Riv.

Right now, I am enjoying playing with Tevildo's two characters in Fellowship of the Fourth Age. He has Azhar and Dorran. Both happen to closely tied to my two characters, Kwell and Athwen.

Firefoot's steward like character in Numenorean Blood etc. cracked me up to no end, even if he was a grumpy snob. I don't remember his name.

Really, I have played with a ton of great characters in my short time here at the 'Downs. I also much respect Elempi's Eodwine character and enjoy many other characters at the Mead Hall. The list could go on decades!

-- Folwren
Old 11-21-2006, 05:34 PM   #143
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
So many to choose from.

Elempi's Jorje from "Friends of Nimrodel" is one of my newest favorites. A perfect example of what an animal character can be.

"Shadow of the West" remains one of my favorite RPG's, though in the end we lost most of our writers. Aman's and Fordim's characters were both superbly done.

There are currently many enjoyable characters in "Fellowship of the 4th Age" - too many to mention, really. I love Tevildo's Azhar, Folwren's Kwell, Nogrod's Hadith, and Brinniel's Shae.

I loved all the Dwarf characters especially in "Red Flows the Sirannon" - an RPG that I think was well-written from all corners, which was why it worked so well. Another fun RPG.

And I know I'm forgetting so many more...
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #144
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Others': Elora's Vanwe - so completely realized, so intriguing. I sort of wistfully wonder what it might have been like if she had not turned into Uien...

Mine (now): Tirril/Jorje; thanks to mark12_30 for inventing him and handing him off. He's got the 'aroo'.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #145
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanaduial the archer
the games Shadow of the West and The Ambassador's Son as well. Two excellently constructed games that allowed me to play around with excellent characters and settings. Extraspecial mentions do, however, go to Maikafanawen and Nuranar for creating that game (there were too many brilliant characters and writers to pinpoint one or two - Devon, Jythralo, Adeline, Calnan...)
Ah, I remember The Ambassador's Son. To this day, I still feel horrible and completely regret ever leaving that game. Shortly after we started, my schoolwork piled up a mile high and not long after I became swamped with dance competitions. I think it was around that time I started to completely disappear from the Downs. The plot for the RPG was so exciting, and I took care into writing Adeline's profile- I was really looking forward to putting her into play. I still wish I could've been part of the RPG- it was just bad timing on my part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
In The Fellowship of the Fourth Age: A New Beginning I think everyone deserves a lot of kudos. It's seven pages long, and we still haven't united the three groups that were essentially supposed to start out together. It's been a wonderful game, with some amazing characters.
I have to say how thankful I am you invited me into this RPG, Durelin. When I returned to the Downs, I wanted to RPG again, but after what happened to me in The Ambassador's Son, I was hesitant to get involved, fearing I would disappear again. My experience so far in Fellowship of the Fourth Age could not be more rewarding. Indeed, seven pages is long, especially since we're not even close to being done. Looking back at previous RPGs, I've never gotten past five pages, so the length is exciting to me. Everyday, I look forward to reading others' posts, as well as writing my own. There's no better place I could've started RPGing again than Fellowship of the Fourth Age, and I'm very happy to be part of it.

Thanks to all who have mentioned Shae- I have enjoyed writing her so far. I think all the characters for this RPG are well written- there are definitely no weak writers here. Of course, I must say that Khamir is my favorite character- he has been so much fun to interact with.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #146
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

It's hard to say which of the characters I've written myself is my fave: they were all the result such labour and love. But I must admit that my very first RPG character in the late and lamented Green Dragon Inn has a very special place in my heart. Snaveling the rogue from the wilderness, transformed by love and friendship to something less rough and unwholesome, discovers both his long-lost grand-daughter, and his true identity as the lost king of drowned Numenor. I think he is such a favourite of mine because so much of what became of him was the result of the excellent writing of those I encountered -- he is the product of their skill as much as he owes anything to me. (I am still determined to arrange an RPG in which I can bring Snaveling back and complete his story somehow...)

Of the many excellent characters written by others, Queen Bekah from Shadow of the West brought to brilliant life and then tragic death by Bethberry has a special place of awe in my pantheon.

Kransha's Thrakmaz one-eye from Bloodstained Elanor was hands down the single best orc character ever created on the Downs...on par with any of the orcs that even the Professor allows us to see.

Aman's alter ego, the Innkeeper of the Golden Dragon is, of course, beloved for all kinds of reasons.

One other character I must needs mention, again of my own creation, is Chakka from Numenorean Blood Runs Black. I had to leave the game mid-stride and regret to this day that I could not explore him more fully -- he promised to be a truly fascinating figure.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #147
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim
I am still determined to arrange an RPG in which I can bring Snaveling back and complete his story somehow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Numenorean Blood. I hold out hope for a sequel...
Y'see? Y'see?! Now this is why threads reminiscing on old RPGs are such a good thing...
Old 11-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #148
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Y'see? Y'see?! Now this is why threads reminiscing on old RPGs are such a good thing...
That tears it....I'm sending in a proposal for a Snaveling RPG tomorrow.

The Wandering King

But only if his grand-daughter can come along for the ride!

In fact, wouldn't it be interesting to gather up the active writers from the Green Dragon and reunite their characters in an RPG....?????

OK!! Brilliance!!!

ANNOUNCEMENT to any and all writers who had ongoing characters in the Green Dragon Inn and who wish to reunite for one last stand -- PM me or post here your interest and let's see what we can whip up!

Roa?? Yoo-Hoo! Roa....Looking at you....
Old 11-22-2006, 06:04 PM   #149
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Others: Crystal Heart's Mayonette from Darker Days as well as
Cordelia Harrison's Cordelia from Darker Days
Firefoot's Lily from Green Dragon
Nurumaiel's Posco and Blanco from Green Dragon

Mine: Léoflic from Daker Days
Groin from Green Dragon
Glirdingo from Life of Gold (currently in play )

Hookbill, I actually wouldn't mind bringing Groin back. I liked playing a Dwarf! So I'm all for it.

(Man, I have REALLY gotten into these RPG's )
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #150
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My favorite character of mine was Wilhelmina Brochenbach from Assigned to Mordor... my favorite character someone else wrote is Primrose Bolger's Sassy Brandybuck from Sailing Away. I remember Prim wanted us to leave her character alone so she could work on her own storyline for Sassy, and it turned out very well (if sad). Oh! And Firefoot's Grimkul and Ulwakh in Red Flows the Sirannon were two really nifty characters as well.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:09 AM   #151
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
From my first experience of BD roleplaying from the Green Dragon I remember Lommy's enigmatic Grimhorn the Beorning with great pleasure.

The Fellowship of the Fourth Age contains a host of great characters. Durelin's Khamir and Firefoot's Johari are so angsty and complex personalities (also in a sense of having complexes ) that it almost feels they must be real. I have also enjoyed playing with Regin's Ishkur a lot.

In Eorling Mead Hall there surely are remarkable people too. Somehow and for some odd reason I love Jenny's patronising Marenil and Celuien's children are also a great fun. Lmp's lord Eodwine and Fea's Saeryn are life-sized persons, written flesh and bone.

From my own characters I still remember Sythric with warmth, although as he appeared in the first actual RPG I played through (Outracing the Flames) I may have somewhat twisted judgement on this. You know the magic of the first time... Hadith (FFA) I'm slowly getting used to and there is some promise in him to become an interesting person. But that's quite open yet. And Cnebba (EMH) is just so much fun to write - even though he is a shared character with Lommy.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #152
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

But Fordim, please don't have the RPG thread open until the Christmas holidays, or I may burst with work...

But hey, while we're at it, what about old Toby Hornblower, Snaveling's partner in crime? Where's Kransha...
Old 11-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #153
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
But hey, while we're at it, what about old Toby Hornblower, Snaveling's partner in crime? Where's Kransha...
My beloved partner in crime and rpg-ing disappeared from the Downs about a year ago if memory serves. That was a truly sad passing, as Kransha and I rather shadowed each other through our first RPGs....I'm fairly certain that we each of us played in every game together.

Toby was a particular fave, and if I do put together a Green Dragon rpg he would have to figure in it somehow since, as memory serves, he actually gave Snaveling a house in the Shire for his very own.