The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #2841
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
Welcome, Neithan Tol Turambar. Cool username, that. Anyway, i hope you stick around.... there's plenty of LOTR nerds here.
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #2842
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420!

Welcome all new members, I hope you'll find the Downs much to your liking.

And if you want to freshen up on lore questions a bit, do visit the Quiz Room.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #2843
Ataralasse
Pile O'Bones

Ataralasse has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Hello. My name is Ataralasse. This is a new forum. Prepare to die.

Er ... um ... ah ... ::clears throat::

Heya, my name is Ataralasse. I've been lurking here for a while ... it looked interesting and I'm always on the lookout for Lord of the Rings fans. I think I've found a couple.

Hm, a little about myself ...

Well, if you couldn't tell from my nick, I'm a girl. I've only read The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and bits and pieces of The Silmarillion and The Book of Lost Tales Prt 1. I like the movies done by Peter Jackson, and though I haven't seen the cartoon ones, I want to see them just to see if they're as bad as I've heard.

Okay, that's all I can think to add.

Cheers.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #2844
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
welcome all ye newcomers, i am the ever-lovable Gil-Galad

and beleive me, the 2 LOTR movies are way different in comparison...

still can't get over Saruman the white being in a red robe...
Old 04-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #2845
Neithan Tol Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataralasse
Hello. My name is Ataralasse. This is a new forum. Prepare to die.

Er ... um ... ah ... ::clears throat::

Heya, my name is Ataralasse. I've been lurking here for a while ... it looked interesting and I'm always on the lookout for Lord of the Rings fans. I think I've found a couple.

Hm, a little about myself ...

Well, if you couldn't tell from my nick, I'm a girl. I've only read The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and bits and pieces of The Silmarillion and The Book of Lost Tales Prt 1. I like the movies done by Peter Jackson, and though I haven't seen the cartoon ones, I want to see them just to see if they're as bad as I've heard.

Okay, that's all I can think to add.

Cheers.

My name is Inigo Montoya.
You killed my father.
Prepare to die!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #2846
Neithan Tol Turambar

second impression

My name is Neithan Tol Turambar.
You steal my Daughter.
Prepare to die!

No! Please!

Offer me money!
Offer me power!
Give me anything I want!

All that I have and more! Please!

I want my Daughter back you ......[fatal sword thrust]

Last edited by Neithan Tol Turambar; 04-10-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: G-rated :)
Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #2847
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neithan Tol Turambar
My name is Inigo Montoya.
You killed my father.
Prepare to die!
STOP SAYING THAT!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #2848
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Let's keep this thread as a place for introductions, not impressions, please.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #2849
Neithan Tol Turambar

third impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by shieldmaiden4xsword
Welcome, Neithan Tol Turambar. Cool username, that. Anyway, i hope you stick around.... there's plenty of LOTR nerds here.
HEY! I AM NOT A NERD!
I am RUGGEDLY HANDSOME and VERY athletic!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #2850
Alcarcalimo

White Tree another newbie

I'm a longtime Tolkien fan (since age 8), but new to the forum. Hoping to get the members' insight into questions that come up for me as I re-read (again) The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:25 AM   #2851
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Welcome to The Downs Alcarcalimo, the place for getting your questions answerd would be the Novice and Newcomers forum or The Books Discution forum all dependin on which kind of questions you have.

If you also enjoy being silly then you have come to the right place, check out Mirth and you will find that we are a very silly bunch of whights.

There is also the Quiz section if you like trivia and riddles. . .

Anyways welcome amongst us dead, I hope your barrow is cold enough.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #2852
Yiriandur

Yiri's back in town

Well, I'm back. That is to say, I have been registered here before (around three years ago), but apparently my account got lost. I've been on and off BD since eh. 2002? 2001? Something like that. I'm -always- on the chat, but practically -never- on the forum. Actively posting at least, I do read it.

So, lo and behold, here I am. I'm known all over the interwebs as Yiriandur, a nowadays 20 year old girl from the Netherlands, although at the moment temporarily studying in Aarhus, Denmark. You can call me Yiri if you wish.

I'll try to be somewhat active here, for a change. For the first time in my life i saved the url to the forum in my favourites, to visit it more regularly. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Yiriandur; 04-19-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:23 AM   #2853
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

Good luck with becoming an active member, Yiri!

And a warm welcome to you and Alcarcalimo and all the ones who I've neglected welcoming! Enjoy your stays here!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:41 AM   #2854
Yiriandur

Thank you, Thinlómien. I'm giving it a try, but the forum is so big, it's hard to zoom in on things.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:48 AM   #2855
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiriandur
the forum is so big, it's hard to zoom in on things.
Zoom?

Sorry, a running gag you may come across. Mount Doom with wheels = Mount Zoom.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:51 AM   #2856
Yiriandur

Hahaha, I haven't heard thatone before! I'm actually enjoying reading up on everything, it's fun.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:53 AM   #2857
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Sorry, a running gag you may come across. Mount Doom with wheels = Mount Zoom.
Sorry for once again interfering with your jokes, I probably do it because this is the humor I like... But how can a gag on wheels be running?

Great Mysterious Cat you have there!
Old 04-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #2858
lordaule

Tolkien Mud

Hello Everybody,

I'm new to the forums here. I've been a Tolkien fan since 1994, when some friends and I got together to make a multiple-user online game set in Middle Earth. I began researching the works so we could make a more authentic recreation, down to the geography, and I fell in love with Middle-Earth.

I just discovered the Barrow Downs and have had a lot of fun here, figured I'd also join the forums.

----
Aule @ t2tmud
http://www.t2tmud.org
Old 04-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #2859
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Welcome lordaule! I must say what you presented about yourself quite reminds me of my story when coming here. My original coming here was mainly due to the fact I wanted to verify or research more information in order to make a Middle-Earth roleplaying setting I did more authentic. And look - I have discovered far more in this place. I hope you'll do too!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #2860
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Fantastic! Finaly another downer from Denmark, well sort of.

I know that Yiriandur is really from the Netherlands, but I must take what I can get. . .

I my self was considering studying in Ĺrhus, but decided it was too long a distance from home and besides I am not really fond of the city. The last time I was there, the whole place was stinking. . .I belive it was because of the Ceres Breweries.

anyways welcome Yiriandur, I hope you will enjoy it here. . .

I tried to hang out in the chat but never got the hang of it, hopefully you will have greater succes here.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #2861
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Welcome Alcarcalimo, Yiriandur, and lordaule!
Hope you'll enjoy your stay!

Brewery? Definitely a place I must visit...*thinks of unfiltered beer*
Old 04-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #2862
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiriandur
Wish me luck!
All the luck wished!

And the same for all the newcomers of late too!

Enjoy your afterlife today! Can one get a better bargain from anywhere else? Being dead but still enjoying good discussions, a fellowship of outstanding and hearty people and a lots of entertainment (RPGs, werewolf-games..)!

Just sit back and relax... and then go for it!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #2863
Tiana

White Tree

I came I saw, I have yet to conquer, but gahh to be a newbie again, gotta love it. Hey everyone, just figured I'd poke in and say hi before I go and venture into the land of make believe.
If I last a day without a mistake I'll be surprised but thats half the fun right?
I look forward to meeting a few friendly faces, and no doubt a few grumpy ones too. Catch me if you can, I'm off to play
Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 AM   #2864
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green A warm welcome to Tiana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiana
If I last a day without a mistake I'll be surprised but thats half the fun right?
It is half of the fun. This forum is a residing place of various kinds of mistakes - just thinking of the amount of hilarious typos this forum produces...
Old 05-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #2865
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome to the Downs, Tiana! Here, have some lembas.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #2866
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

I am not new, however I am so old that you could repackage me as "good as new". I'm a playful ghoul come back to haunt you.

Aye, it's been years since I've explored these haunts. Little things like life got in the way. My own forum occupies most of my Tolkien talking time, but there is something in the air this summer that awakened old feelings. Not that the air smells good here...it's stale and full of the memories of the rotting stench of the Kings of Arnor of old. But that's how ghouls love it, though ghouls can't smell. And the light is bad, till your eyes adjust... it's so very green and ghostly......

I'm actually curious to see if anyone remembers me; not in an ego way, but just curious, like Smeagol. I remember a few names myself.... Telchar, H-I, and of course the Barrow-Wight himself...
Old 05-12-2007, 02:27 AM   #2867
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Our paths didn't cross often back then, Beregond, but I do remember the names of members of days gone by - welcome back!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #2868
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Thank you! It's good to be back.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:44 PM   #2869
Elladan

'Quel undome

I am very glad to be here!

I look forward to many great discussions here, and meeting many new faces!

Tenna' san'

Elladan
Old 05-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #2870
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Mae govannen!

I do hope you enjoy yourself here, and stay for a long time!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #2871
Famov

Hello everyone!

Based on the discussions I have seen go on so far I would have to say that this is the single most intelligent message board centered on the works of Tolkein that I have yet to see.

I hope to become a regular of these forums. Though I am no good at RPing I do love a good discussion. It has been a while since I have discussed whether or not Balrogs had wings, or the mysterious blue wizards, etc.

My best wishes,

Famov
Old 05-18-2007, 03:32 AM   #2872
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Hello Famov and Elladan, and welcome!
I hope you'll enjoy the forums and I guess I'll see you around.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:08 AM   #2873
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Welcome, Elladan and Famov!

Famov
- if you like RPGing, do try it if you wish, because you don't need to be good at doing it, I assure you.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:50 AM   #2874
NoahDesclian

Boots Just a greeting

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted on a message board, but I bumped into this board one day and thought it looked pretty interesting. Tolkien's been my favorite author since I first read him in grade school, and he even got me interested in linguistics. I haven't read all of his works (yet), though I hope I can add to the discussions.

And did someone write about RPing? Awesome!

Take care all,
Noah
Old 05-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #2875
Haldir Edhel

Tolkien Suilad!

This forum is marvelous! I have been to many forums but, although forums are usually fun, a lot of them are just for Tolkien amateurs (Arwen-Undomiel.com)... and most people in them are a bit ignorant about his works... and are difficult to converse with about them, because they refuse to read the books... and they refuse to discuss properly. But I see that most people here either have read most of the books before, or they try to understand more about them. *nods at the above post*

So anyway, I hope I will meet a few of you and I hope that I will enjoy this place (I love to RP, btw)!

~Haldir

Last edited by Haldir Edhel; 05-19-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:25 AM   #2876
jeffcare

Pipe Why the hatred?

Why is there such hatred between the Dwarves and the Elves in lotr? I have read all of the books: The hobbit, lotr 1,2,and 3. Icant figure it out?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:38 AM   #2877
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome to The Barrow Downs, jeffcare.

Dwarfo Elf relations have been on a knife edge for a long time. I think what finally broke them off from one another was an incident in The Silmarillion, a sort of ancient History of Middle Earth, involving an argument over some very precious jewels. You will receive a more detailed answer from our learned folks over in the book forum if you search for a thread about it.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:07 PM   #2878
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

I'm not around much anymore, but I'd like to welcome all newcomers! You'll love it here, I promise!

Nimmy
Old 05-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #2879
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Dwarfo Elf relations have been on a knife edge for a long time. I think what finally broke them off from one another was an incident in The Silmarillion, a sort of ancient History of Middle Earth, involving an argument over some very precious jewels. You will receive a more detailed answer from our learned folks over in the book forum if you search for a thread about it.
All jeffcare needs to know is that it was them pernicious Elves' fault

Last edited by hewhoarisesinmight; 05-26-2007 at 05:12 AM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #2880
Feanorsdoom
Animated Skeleton

Feanorsdoom has just left Hobbiton.
Hi, I'm the newest thing, but not the youngest.

I loves me some Tolkien, but apparently don't hold him as the unassailable Valar most of you seem to. Maybe I get that from his overly self-critical attitude that comes across in the HoMe. If he didn't think he was the Greatest Writer in the World, I certainly can't.

That said, what's with all the millions of pages of LotR slashfic online? OMGWTF (as the kiddies say)? Somebody throw some Silmarillions at those kids and quiet them down. Sheesh!

Also, pretty neat that I see an attempt to rebuild the Silmarillion itself. It's about time, and I'm not sure that we can count upon Adam Tolkien or other family members to take up the flag so recently laid down by CT. What I'd like to see, however, is someone with the courage and ingenuity to write new Quenta outside of the First-through-Third Ages. I'm bored with amateur rehashes of stories JRRT himself rewrote ad nauseum. Let's see the Silmarils found and the Last Battle fought (and see the True West finally sundered from this world forever)!
Feanorsdoom is offline   Reply With Quote