The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
WW: LXXXVI - The Halls of Mandos

This is an experimental game with an additional game thread for the dead.

Activities on the living thread:
Plain old werewolf, except: Roles are not revealed upon death.

Activities on the dead thread:
Every Day, the dead people get to vote on giving one of the living an extra vote. Their voting ends at the same time as the living vote ends, so it will be unknown to the living who among them has the extra vote. The identity of the double voter will be revealed in the narration. Every Night (beginning when there are at least 3 dead), the dead people vote for one among themselves . At the end of the vote it will be revealed whether the person counts for the wolves or the innocent. (In other words, they will be told whether a fellow dead person is a wolf or not.)

The living may not look into the dead thread. There is, of course, no way to actually enforce that, so players are on the honor system.
The dead can continue reading the living thread, but, of course, may not post there. They may also read the entire dead thread, including parts posted before their own death.

Participation in the Mandos thread is optional. No modfire is awaiting anyone.
Living players who do not vote for two consecutive days will be modfired (moved to the dead thread).

Players who don't abide by the lovely werewolf rules will be modfired (for real), glazed, and used to mix cookie dough. :P

Macalaure will be my co-mod, and we can start the game once we have a full village (ideally 20, but we'll go ahead with fewer if signups are slow).

Deadline will probably be around 10 or 11 PM EST.

Multiple lynches of any number of players are allowed. In Mandos, tied votes will be decided by a coin toss.l

The roles (let us know if you have any suggestions/comments):

-3 wolves. Normal wolf pack.
Clarification:
Living wolves can PM one another by Night, and dead wolves can PM one another at any time. Living wolves, however, cannot communicate with dead wolves.

-3 cobblers. No special powers.

-Beren and Lúthien - Lovers: when one dies, xe spends 1 Day among the dead, then returns to the living for 1 Day, after which both die. Aligned with the village, win if village wins.

-Glorfindel - Ranger: like the lovers, Glorfindel will spend 1 Day in Mandos and then return to the living the Day after that. Before his return, he has one protection per Night; after his return, he will have the ability to protect two people every Night. He can protect himself. He cannot protect a person twice in a row.

-Seer. Normal seer, except that xe continues to dream after xer death. Can only dream of the living when alive, can only dream of the dead after his death. Can detect cobblers.

-Hunter. Normal illogical hunter.

Players:

Shasta
Nogrod
Aganzir
Glirdan
A Little Green
elronds_daughter
Mänwe
Nerwen
Loslote
Wilwa
Legate
Lommy

Nessa
Blind Guardian
satansaloser2005
the phantom
Boromir88
Mithalwen
Anguirel
Fea

Last edited by Rikae; 01-28-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh, wow. This looks like so very much fun! I am definitely in.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

This looks too amazing to pass up, so despite being sorta busy with school I have to join! School isn't that important anyway.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Oops! A cool idea indeed!

Wouldn't you wish to lynch me early, Please! This is the first time I'll beg for it!

I like the new Ranger & seer -rules!

I do hope you'll bring the number of cobblers down if we don't have 20 players though...? I mean if the living are not able to know what was the alignment of the dead, a bunch of cobblers will make it just... nightmarish.

Like they would know in turn... heh.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
How can Glorfindel die for real? Just wondering, because the way I'm reading it now, it's that at the beginning he protects one person per night, wolves kill him, he spends a day in Mandos, comes back the next day powered up. Is it just that if he dies again he dies for real?

Also, for the roles that can vacillate between the two threads - can information from the Mandos thread leak into the 'alive' thread that way, or are players that vacillate on the honor system not to reveal anything from there?
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Now that sounds really too interesting! Sign me in for sure.

And for that matter, I think Lommy also wanted to sign up (Greenie had said that as part of her own sign-up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Multiple lynches of any number of players are allowed.
Ai, ai, I predict that this will not end well... but anyway, does this mean it works also for Mandos? I assume not, because it won't make much sense, so what are the rules for a tie of votes for Mandos?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #7
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Ai, ai, I predict that this will not end well...
Hey, it worked fine in the Orc-game... for the Orcs anyway.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
How can Glorfindel die for real?
First time he dies he returns after spending one Day in Mandos. Second time he dies, he goes to Mandos for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Also, for the roles that can vacillate between the two threads - can information from the Mandos thread leak into the 'alive' thread that way, or are players that vacillate on the honor system not to reveal anything from there?
Yes. That's the point, in fact. We should have mentioned that.

While the living officially know nothing about the roles of the lynched/killed, the dead accumulate knowledge one by one and the two people who can return from the dead can provide some light for the living.

Quote:
Ai, ai, I predict that this will not end well... but anyway, does this mean it works also for Mandos? I assume not, because it won't make much sense, so what are the rules for a tie of votes for Mandos?
Ah, we missed that, I think. No double choices for the dead, but we haven't thought about the tie-breaker, yet. Will soon be added.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
Woah, this sounds great! I may be slow this week because I'm starting a new semester, but go ahead and sign me up!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Hey, it worked fine in the Orc-game... for the Orcs anyway.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I was among those who got lynched back then...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This sounds fabulous.

This is a silly question, but when a person dies, is she allowed to read the entire Dead Thread and not just from her death on?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #12
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You're allowed (and encouraged) to read the entire dead thread.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Great to see everyone!

Do you think it's too difficult for the village? They do have the reincarnating ranger, as well as a way to access the dreams of a dead seer, but I'm not sure if that is enough to balance the large number of baddies & lack of knowledge. Perhaps I could add another advantage for the innocents.

Cobblers are important so that the dead thread can potentially be a den of cobblery (more so the better the village does, even) & wolf kills won't automatically be known innocents. If the innocents do badly, the influence of the dead will be more positive, too.

You can imagine, I love being able to force people to rely more heavily on interpreting posts...
Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Quote:
Sorry Rikae and Mac, but could you clarify how this works please?
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #15
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

If two (or more) players are tied for the highest number of votes, they both (all) get lynched.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #16
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Ah! Thanks
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #17
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Ah, we missed that, I think. No double choices for the dead, but we haven't thought about the tie-breaker, yet. Will soon be added.
So I take it that the Dead Thread doesn't sleep (ie. they post both night and day)? And when the first person is lynched, she can just vote to reveal her role, right?

Does the seer see cobblers as ordos?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Just a forewarning to all that with the added adition to now being a part of my local community theatre group in my life (yes, the same one that I was a part of last year and had to leave Boston early for :P), my time may be cut back quite substantially. Everything is all up in the air so don't be surprised if I am not posting frequently.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, we're performing Miss Saigon
Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Yep, the dead vote night and day. I'm not sure whether to give the seer the power to see cobblers or not yet.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #20
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The DL for Nog's game was too pressing for me because it was right when I got out of work. Buuut....despite my better judgement I might have to play. Please put me down as a maybe. I'll look at my work schedule and let you know.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #21
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
This sounds like lots of complex fun. It'll make me feel better if I get dead too quickly.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #22
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Yep, the dead vote night and day. I'm not sure whether to give the seer the power to see cobblers or not yet.
Well, you were looking for another advantage to give the innocents... but on the other hand, making it that simple to find the cobblers may make them too harmless.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #23
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
You're allowed (and encouraged) to read the entire dead thread.
Oh, that might be quite a lot of reading... especially if Cobblers wreak havoc there... well, I guess that's the point...

Quote:
Do you think it's too difficult for the village? They do have the reincarnating ranger, as well as a way to access the dreams of a dead seer, but I'm not sure if that is enough to balance the large number of baddies & lack of knowledge. Perhaps I could add another advantage for the innocents.

Cobblers are important so that the dead thread can potentially be a den of cobblery (more so the better the village does, even) & wolf kills won't automatically be known innocents. If the innocents do badly, the influence of the dead will be more positive, too.
Not sure if difficult, I would say more like totally different. They will have strong Ranger and such, but there will be basically no immediate knowledge gained from lynching somebody etc. You may as well be in the dark for several Days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
You can imagine, I love being able to force people to rely more heavily on interpreting posts...
I would have expected you not to overestimate interpreting posts after the last game's experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
So I take it that the Dead Thread doesn't sleep (ie. they post both night and day)? And when the first person is lynched, she can just vote to reveal her role, right?
Hey, that's actually an important point - and it could be a problem. How are you going to solve it during the first days? Because by Night 2, you'll have 1 person on the dead thread, by Night 3, three people, if everything goes "normal". Will there be a vote in Mandos only from Night 3 onwards, or after there are at least 3 dead people (in case there is a Ranger save the previous Night and so on, because then you could not effectively have a vote if there are just two people voting)? The point is, if the first person could simply vote herself, then of course she would do so if she is innocent, and clearly, if she is a Cobbler/Wolf, she probably wouldn't want to do that... unless you make it e.g. so that person who dies first is automatically revealed in any case, etc...
Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #24
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Re: tie-breakers in the dead thread. Rikae edited it into the original post, but just so everyone knows: they will be decided by a die.

It should also be added that dead wolves and living wolves may not pm. Two dead wolves may pm again, Night and Day. The same rule holds for the lovers.

Quote:
Oh, that might be quite a lot of reading...
It will be interesting, I think, whether it will be or not. Participation is not required after all, and the first few nights and days there will only be a few people.

Quote:
How are you going to solve it during the first days? Because by Night 2, you'll have 1 person on the dead thread, by Night 3, three people, if everything goes "normal".
Another rule we talked about, but failed to put down here: the voting for the extra vote will start once the first person joins the dead. The vote for the revealing of roles starts once the population reaches 3.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #25
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Well, you were looking for another advantage to give the innocents... but on the other hand, making it that simple to find the cobblers may make them too harmless.
I don't think so. They'd have to look suspicious enough so the wolves don't kill them but innocent enough so the seer doesn't dream them... Which provides some additional challenge for them. And a known cobbler isn't necessarily a harmless cobbler.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #26
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I think I will give the seer the ability to see cobblers; after all, the seer might be a cobbler for all the village knows, and only the dead (or someone who returns from the dead) will be able to verify the seer's identity. For the village to detect a cobbler with certainty will still take several steps and a bit of luck.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #27
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Actually, with the way we have it right now, the seer's role can't be verified with certainty at all, since the dead people can only distinguish wolves and non-wolves. The seer can only be told apart from an imposting cobbler by circumstantial evidence.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #28
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
I'm assuming, even though it wasn't stated outright, that the dead are allowed to read the living's conversation so as to best choose the recipient of an extra vote... Unless of course the extra vote is meant to be rather random...which I could see having some benefit, but....oh, dear, now I'm just confusing myself.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #29
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Finally! A game where the Dead participate!

Heck yeah I'll play!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #30
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Yes, the dead can read the living thread.

BG - yep, this is the ideal game for anyone who fears being lynched/killed early on.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #31
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Hence why I am here....after all, I'll be dead in two Days anyways
Old 01-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #32
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan View Post
Hence why I am here....after all, I'll be dead in two Days anyways
Aww. *snuggles* I promise not to vote for you.......unless you act suspicious.

I have to say that this player list is pretty awesome. This is going to be epic. Hopefully I have time to participate more than last game.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #33
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I just want to say that this game looks amazing and I am very much looking forward to following it.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #34
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I just want to say that this game looks amazing and I am very much looking forward to following it.
Ditto. I'm taking a long overdue WW break, and it'll be nice to watch everyone else in the pressure cooker.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #35
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I came in to check if the DL was do-able, but didn't even get that far, you had me at "additional thread for the dead." Mwahaha no way anyone can miss this new creative idea (including the Lovers and Glorfindel roles! ). And it just so happens that the DL works fine, preferably 11 pm, but 10 works out too.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #36
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
The DL for me (and the other Finns) will be quite bad indeed, so we'll have to vote quite early.

But on top of that, I'm once again trying to play a bit more easily (not topping the posters' list... just not to lose my sleep).

Let's see how I can manage with that.

I'm trying...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #37
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Nog - well, that's a good way for you to get lynched early!

So, if Fea and Kitanna are in, we're good to go. Otherwise, there's room for two more...
Old 01-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #38
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm afraid I can't join. Too much to do at work, not enough time to play.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #39
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have to say I'm kind of toteing it up

(is that how you spell toteing?)

(toting? totting? surely not.)

((if you'd have me. I must say I'd be quieter and more temporally challenged than previous form))
Old 01-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #40
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh Captain, my Captain!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote