The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2003, 02:55 AM   #1
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Beleg and Bombadil

While browsing through the Lays of Belerian (HoME 3) last night, the thought occured to me when I read this about Beleg.

(CT's commentry)
Quote:
Some very curious things are said of Beleg in the peom [Lay of the Children of Hurin]. He is twice called 'the son of the wilderness who wist no sire', and at line 416 he is 'Beleg the ageless'. There seems to be a mystery about him that sets him apart... from the Elves of Thingol's lordship...
(Just as a note, the book also says that Beleg started out as a Man in Tolkien's earliest writings. He underwent a lot of modification over several years.)

When a read this, I thought of Bombadil. At this stage of the development of the mythology, as far as I know, Tom had not yet been conceived of; it is possible that Tolkien, at this time, had thoughts of a Bombadil-like enigma that was originally designed as the character of Beleg.

Beleg, even at this early stage, is obviously not quite the same person as Bombadil. His personal traits are different for one thing, but the similar anomalous principle may be there. Obviously later revised to apply (in a more advanced form) to the much more aptly-implied Bombadil.

Interesting, isn't it? Just a small observation of mine.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 09:42 PM   #2
FingolfintheBold
Haunting Spirit

FingolfintheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FingolfintheBold
Sting

Thats very interesting. I think youcould be right about Beleg almost being an early draft of Bombadil, so to speak, though obviously a totally different character from what we know.
Of course, such references could have been elven hyperbole or something. Calling him agless could refer to his valor in battle or something along those lines. Good topic!
Old 08-22-2003, 03:08 AM   #3
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

Yes, well I thought it was interesting anyway. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2003, 07:46 AM   #4
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We might just have an early conception of one of the Elven Firstborn here. Also bear in mind that he seems to have a beard in the old painting Beleg Finds Gwindor.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 03:40 AM   #5
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wouldnt the reference to him being 'ageless' just mean that he is of Elvenkind. After all Elves do not really 'age' after a certain point in their growth, not in the manner of man anyways.
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 10:23 AM   #6
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That is a very interesting observation, Gwaihir. I never knew much about Beleg's history. Although I am sure that Beleg is not Bombadil (which nobody is actually implying and which seems impossible since, er, Beleg was killed), it may be that Tolkien's ideas and writings of Bombadil stemmed in some way (consciously or otherwise) from his creation of Beleg Strongbow.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:48 AM   #7
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

True, Sharku. And true as well, Maeglin; although there is something rather strange (as CRRT asserts, his quote (which refers to some of the things JRRT wrote about him) is posted in the thread-starter) about Beleg in his early draftings.

Quote:
it may be that Tolkien's ideas and writings of Bombadil stemmed in some way (consciously or otherwise) from his creation of Beleg Strongbow.
What I was suggesting, rather, was that this Bombadilian theme or character was simply something that JRRT had a tendency to invent in hs mythology. At first, he may have done it through Beleg -- Bombadil would therefore be the developed version.

(This thread doesn't really have that large a discussion capacity, and we can't really talk about this with anything other than an air of speculation. A speculative little topic is all this is. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])
Old 08-29-2003, 09:23 PM   #8
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

Beleg is my fave character in the Silm, and I would love to find out more about him. HoME 3 is the only Book of Lost Tales that I have, since the bookstores in my town are, er, somewhat lacking. I never drew the parallel between Beleg and Bombadil. Great topic, Gwaihir!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:53 PM   #9
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

StarJewel, I agree with you about Beleg: he is probably my favorite character, too. In fact, I named a constellation after him. (I am not much for astronomy, so I don't know the constellations' real names, so I give them Tolkienesque names.) Sorry; I've gotten somewhat off the thread subject.
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote