Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2004, 11:17 AM   #81
Sarin Mithrilanger
Animated Skeleton

Sarin Mithrilanger has just left Hobbiton.
Fordim- In your post Zuromor states that he lost his blade and needs another,but Zuromor still has the orc sword from before and had thrown a dagger that protruded from a corpse.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:55 AM   #82
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sarin -- I have edited my post accordingly.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:40 AM   #83
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Just a note: I think that by this time in the story, the gate would have collapsed. If Sam and Frodo had spent too much time in the tower, they would have surely bumped into one of our escaping characters; which would be thoroughly unacceptable by moderating standards. In my next posts, two dwarves are in a cellar - can I mention that they hear a low tremble above them?

Himaran
Old 07-07-2004, 04:47 AM   #84
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Himaran: rumble away, as I agree the gate is ready to come down. Just as soon as Grash can get those pesky Elves (and Co.) into the cellars, Frodo and Sam will make their escape and the arch will collapse.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:49 PM   #85
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Everyone - Sorry I haven't posted. I have been away from a computer for medical reasons. I should, however, have computer access by Monday. I am still playing. Just give me time!

-Perky
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 07-08-2004, 06:08 AM   #86
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Well, I'm not sure if we were supposed to wait for Himaran to finish his post about the collapse or for Fordim to round up all the wandering dwarves and elves. So, I went ahead and posted any way.

I'll be happy to add things about collapses, etc, if need be. I was quite vague about who exactly is with Lyshkya and Darash as I am not sure just where everyone is.

I guess I'm just itchin' to see a spider's lair. *chomps a bit on the bit at being slowed down and offers carrots to others*
Old 07-08-2004, 07:35 AM   #87
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Special Treat (I hope)

I hope nobody minds that I've put in a rather Draconian post to get us on our way. As always, happy to put in any edits that are needed.

At any rate, the Special Treat referred to above is that we are actually going to confront Shelob herself. As you all know, I'm sure, she was pretty badly wounded by Sam so she'll be spitting angry. What's more, the mods (all hail the wisdom and benevolence of Pio and Child) have actually given us the go ahead to, and I quote, "finish her off".

I, for one, am tremendously excited about this.

At any event, this is how the next little bit of the adventure is going to proceed. I will give everyone until Monday to post about the journey into the tunnel. There should be lots to do: your feelings about Grash's plan, your feelings about each other, hatching plots, having confrontations, sense of foreboding danger, whatever (think The Green Dragon Inn at Cirith Ungol). I would hope that at the very least we will get some wonderfully atmospheric descriptions of Shelob's Lair!

Then on Monday, the Lady herself will show up, at which point we will all have to fight for our very lives -- and, I hope, for the lives of each other.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:40 AM   #88
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Amazing.... we are about to write an extension of JRR's literature - and kill one of his character. How exciting!

Dwarves found some food - i will now mention the rumble, and then my post is finally done...

Great post btw, Fordim!

Himaran
Old 07-08-2004, 02:49 PM   #89
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eye

Aman - I was foolish and did not put up a save while I was writing my post, and you posted before I was able to finish....but, the astounding thing is, I believe my post still works with yours... Except that it must go before yours. Would you mind placing the post below at the beginning of your post? Thank you, it is much appreciated. And please let me know if I need to change anything.

~

“Some get eaten, some do not..." those words were all Jordo's brain could handle for many moments after they were spoken. And the man who spoke them were all his eyes could see. He stared at this man named Grash, the one whom he had obeyed when the creaking of metal had announced his freedom. But now his eyes could not acknowledge the man as someone to be obeyed. His mind cringed in terror as it realized what his eyes were doing. They were defying! Only his soul was interested in what was seen. His mind disregarded it as foolishness, and a dangerous foolishness, at that. But then the movement around him brought his eyes away, and he felt his mind relax, though it remained on the alert.

He watched Grash enter this tunnel, somehow ignoring his own words completely, and entering this pit of darkness - a pit of darkness even standing so close to the fires of Mordor - which he may not exit, which no one was guaranteed to exit. Jordo of course could not see this as something to admire, if courage it was. But he would not see courage or any other trait in someone, either. Another man followed him immediately, carrying a torch. Jordo almost followed this man, carrying precious light, but then he looked at those he stood with, who he found security in obeying.

The male elf spoke in a voice that made Jordo flinch, wanting the elf to command him so that he could show that he would be good. He felt as if all the spite in Morgoroth's voice was directed to him, and it frightened him to no end. Even that man Grash did not frighten him as much as this elf with the dark hair. He missed the elf's first words, but the rest were enough. They stung him like no orc whip had ever done, choked him like no ash ridden air ever had, and chilled him so deeply, deeper than any screams of the dying. "The Tunnel awaits us, and She will welcome our presence. We should not...disappoint Her." She...he wanted to scream at the knowledge that he found in his mind, memories of orc's speaking about a 'she' who was more than a nuisance even to orc kind.

Morgoroth entered and Jordo of course followed, almost bumping into Raeis as he did. He quickly muttered an apology, and looked up from the ground into the female elf's eyes only to see her smile at him. He smiled back, recognizing those eyes. But then the recognition faded as he saw himself back in his cell, alone. Raeis was making her way into the Tunnel now, as well, and so Jordo followed. In his first few steps he already had the feeling that something was watching him, and he felt little better knowing that others were slowly finding their own reasons to enter the Tunnel.

~

-Durelin
Old 07-08-2004, 02:58 PM   #90
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

But of course, Durelin - sorry about that, it's irritating when that happens.

I'll go and edit your post in now
Old 07-08-2004, 03:13 PM   #91
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Boots I'm such a ... goose.

I was just about to fill my save, when Aman posted. I don't think mine was appropriate to be above yours (and Durelin's) , so I just deleted it and posted after Aman. Confusing? Ehm... sorry. Not your fault, though, I should have filled it sooner...

Anyway, another mistake I made today... Eeeek. I was about to post after Fordim's last post. But then halfway through, I was delayed when I was grabbing something to bite and *WHOOPS* two people had posted! So, I was wondering if you Fordim could just paste my short little post up at the bottom (or top) of your last reply?

Unexpectedly, a new chance for him to convince Grash was presented to Rhând. The skinny Haradrim had watched the elves (and one man) carefully as he and Grash had approached them. Two elves, both proud and some would say fair, had stood before them and looked hesitatingly at the two men for a moment. Not till after Grash had told them that they should go and meet the others, had they gone. But during those few seconds they had stood still, the look in their eyes could not be wrongly interpreted. It was clear that the elves were most hesitant towards both Rhând and Grash. Instantly, it struck the Haradrim that he could use this. It would be easy; Grash had looked the elves into their eyes himself and knew exactly how they felt.

The minute the opportunity became obvious to Rhând, he seized it. Glad that he had got another chance so soon, he restrained himself from storming to Grash’s side and tell him what he had on his mind. He made his move, putting up a serious face. He made Grash slow down for a moment, looked around being certain that not the elves were listening. Choosing his words with care, he expressed his uncertainty when it came to elves in general. "I can see that you do not trust the Ageless Ones," Rhând said, with a tone that implied that he completely understood Grash's feelings, but had clearly seen the doubt in his eyes just earlier. Discovering, to his satisfaction, that Grash seemed to listen, he hoped that he had managed to make the other freed prisoner doubt the elves even more. It would certainly pay off one day.

Seconds later, they had gone through the courtyard. Rhând walked a few paces behind Grash now. If he was going to pull this through, he would have to be on the surface a silent man, who spoke little, but acted well. Underneath the facade, he would have to be the good friend of the leader, who Rhând guessed would be Grash, of whom he would trick and cheat. This way, he could control Grash, and through Grash he would be able to control the other ones who trusted Grash. The Elves, even though they were sceptical now, would soon be outnumbered when the dwarves turned against them. Deep in thought, still feeling quite ill after running after the orc and collapsing, he was greatly surprised when the sound of what seemed like an earthquake disturbed him. Looking around, alarmingly, he found himself trembling. The whole ground trembled.

Would you please?

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Nova

EDIT: Thanks Fordim. And yes, it did seem to fit there! Thanks!

Last edited by Novnarwen; 07-08-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:19 PM   #92
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Done and done, Nova. I actually put your post in the middle of my own, as it seemed to fit best there.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:40 PM   #93
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Hey everyone,

I haven't posted recently, for which I apologize! I should get a post for dear ol' Jeren up before the night is through.

-Aylwen
Old 07-10-2004, 11:03 AM   #94
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Internet connection . . . *sigh*

I will not be able to post for a few days. There is something wrong with my Internet connection, and it will probably take a few days to fix it. I know that the prisoners will be meeting Shelob on Monday, but I will probably not be able to post then. So, would someone pease leave me a save or something, which I can fill when my Internet box is fixed?

By the way . . . Rhând, when meeting Shelob, will eagerly try to make it difficult for the male elf to survive . . .

Thanks in advance,
Nova
Old 07-11-2004, 03:20 PM   #95
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Everyone, I'm back at my computer. I will make a post ASAP, so please bear with me. I'll have an update as soon as I can, which should be, soon. thanks for not kicking me off

-Perky
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 07-11-2004, 05:25 PM   #96
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

...and in comes Shelob *evil* I have introduced her 'coming' in a way in this last post. Prepare for the attack...

*Rubs hands together gleefully*
Old 07-11-2004, 05:57 PM   #97
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

My vote for most atmospheric Lair-Post goes to Aman!

That having been said, don't anyone get carried away and have Shelob come at the group quite yet. . . (Yeah, I'm looking at you Kransha and Himaran )

Never fear, she'll be making her appearance, but she's got some plans to make, some webs to spin, and some traps to lay first.

Be afraid, be very afraid.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:40 PM   #98
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Quote:
My vote for most atmospheric Lair-Post goes to Aman!
What does she win?

So...who's going to die? It's been the topic of thought for several posts now! Will it be the Dwarves? The Elves? The women? The MEN?

The suspense is killing me!

-Aylwen
Old 07-11-2004, 06:52 PM   #99
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dűm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm...good question...who is going to die?

Certainly not I...for I have plans for my Elf...

Oh well...we shall see, very soon.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:29 PM   #100
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
SAVE filled

My SAVE is filled. I do need to apologize for my lack of regular posting. I just started a new job, and I've been working a lot of extra hours.

I'm really excited about the scene to come. I'm terrified of spiders, so I may need therapy after this. I'll have to use my psych classes to get me through...*mumbles something about desensitization*
Old 07-12-2004, 06:55 AM   #101
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I've been caught cross-posting. My post needs to come after Aman and Sarin's but before Captain of Despair's, I think. My character asks Grash for advice about the monster as part of a strategy for defense.

Fordim, is Darash' question to Grash okay with your planned attack for Shelob? I hope I haven't put you off your post.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:03 AM   #102
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

OK -- I've just moved my post beneath Bethberry's and will edit it to make a more seamless transition momentarily, but first. . .

The attack is underway, and I wanted to be clear on the geography of what's going on.

The company is in a long narrow passage with no branches, turns or outlets: there is only forward or back. With the little nasties coming on us, you have three choices: stand and fight, run back the way you came, or run forward.

If you go back, however, you will find the passage blocked by a new web that is impenetrable by weapons and the little beasties wil soon find you.

If you go on, you will find yourself in a huge cavern with many branching tunnels leading off from it, but all of them are likewise blocked. The cavern is full of dried bones and skins and the air is almost unbreathable for the reek. Again, the little beasties will eventually pursue you down there as well. Shelob is hanging back for a bit to see how this turns out so we won't be seeing her again for a little bit.

But don't worry, She is still coming. . .

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 07-12-2004 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:09 PM   #103
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Fordim, question, what's the best way to put my posts together. Would it be better to do short posts dealing with each event I've missed, or do one ginormous post with it all. Either way doesn't matter. Preferably, I'd like short posts, but it's your call Fordim.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:07 PM   #104
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Greetings Perky.

We've been carrying your character along pretty well to this point, so I think that you could probably just join in right here without a need to do "catch up." If you really want to go back and do posts for earlier events, however, it would probably be best to post them to the discussion thread and then perhaps we could prevail upon the mods to insert them earlier (?) or I could paste them into some of my earlier posts.

To be honest, however, I would rather see you just start posting on the current scene -- that way all your energies can go to moving along the current plot rather than developing stuff that's relatively 'over and done with'.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:22 PM   #105
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Yay! Now I don't have to go through 69 posts. (69! ) Sure, I'll just start off right here. If it matters, here's my catch up post that goes up to about post 27. If you don't need it, i'll delete it. It basically restates the same ole stuff, so I really don't mind it you drop it. Here it is
Quote:
Dorim strided across the cells slowly. The stench and light slowed him down. As Dorim walked, he noticed people in front of him and behind. Of the tired, dirty prisoners, Dorim noticed two that standed out. They were dwarves. As Dorim began to climb up the stairs, he glanced at them, but then turned his face back. A weapon would be much more important than friendship. “This forsaken place is rank with orc stench, even after they are gone” Dorim said in a disgusted voice, looking down at the bodies of dead orcs. “It is the stench of death, not of orcs.” A dwarf next to Dorim said. Dorim hated being contradicted, and therefore wasn’t so keen on the dwarf, whos name happened to be Brór. “Death and orcs share the same jagged blade.” Dorim retorted, in the same flat tone as Brór. Feeling no reason to continue the conversation further, Dorim looked over the dead body of an orc. It was still twitching. Without a moment to consider what he was doing, Dorim heaved the orc onto it’s back, and shoved the knife inbedding in his back even deeper. Although the orc was still twitching, Dorim took no notice and began searching the orc for weapons. Finding none, Dorim took the only one he could find, and ripped the blade from the orcs back out and clutched it in his hand.

“It would seem not,” the third dwarf said. “if one blade hascrushed the other here.” Dorim gave a small nod, and took what rages he had to clean off the blood from the knife, delighted that he had a weapon. As Dorim looked down at the festering orcs on the ground, Brór and the young dwarf began talking. “Dwali” Dorim heard the young dwarf say. “So Dorim, Brór, and Dwali are the dwarves of Mordor” Dorim said, looking at the two. “Then you must be… Dorim. Come, let’s find some blades.” Dwali said, as the three began to traverse the courtyard close together. Then, they began to go their separate ways, looking for weapons. Dorim could see many armed orcs, but none with the equiptment he needed. Then, seeing two dead Uruk captains, Dorim gave a shout. “These will do” Dorim said, stripping the orcs of everything they had. Greatful for the goods he was now wearing, Dorim looked around again to see how the others were doing.
Yeah, basically restating everything!
Old 07-12-2004, 08:18 PM   #106
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Alas, I have not been posting in this Discussion Thread regularly enough, Fordim and Co. so forgive me, if you would. I have not yet, in this RPG, had time to put a great, great effort into any single post (for shame, fie on me!). But, now, at last and at length, I have a worth-while post submitted to the game. I hope it is, as said, worth the while.

Bror, my argumentative dwarf, has gone a bit kamikaze, but I don't plan on letting him die now. I've placed a hook at his battle site, and baited it well. If any one of you aquatic fellows or gals would like to grab that bait, feel free, for I've left it open for most, but one in particular. If no one takes the hint (which might well happen, since I post so confusingly), I'll think of some ingenious way for Bror to escape the little beasties. But, I know y'all are smarter than that, so...

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 07-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #107
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Perky Ent -- I have pasted your post into my own at #22; I think it works there but let me know.

Kransha -- Wonderful post. I certainly hope that somebody saves Bror from his own foolishness!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:46 PM   #108
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dűm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
It's great working with you all. Wonderful storyline going on. Finally, it will be getting interesting.

As for poor Bror...I think Morg has found his heart of hearts... :
Old 07-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #109
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Fordim,

I am very sorry to announce that my computer crashed two days ago, and thus I have no useable internet access at home. It may be a full week until the problem is fixed. As soon as it is, I will begin posting regularly again.

Himaran
Old 07-13-2004, 03:21 PM   #110
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

All right Himaran, we shall be sure to carry your character along without too much damage coming to him. . .
Old 07-14-2004, 07:14 PM   #111
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Eye Sorry!

I just want to apologize for not filling my SAVE on time. My little town was hit by a series of really bad storms yesterday, and the entire town suffered a blackout for close to 19 hours. Anyway, power is on now, so I'm working and it will be filled in very soon.

~ Alak
Old 07-14-2004, 08:30 PM   #112
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Alright Fordim! I'll read up on Kransha and Hilmaran's posts, and well as info in the DT concerning where we are now and get a post up!
Old 07-15-2004, 06:31 AM   #113
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

My apologies in advance, but I will probably be able to post only sporadically over the next week or so, as my town has been placed under a state of emergency after we got quite a bit of flooding. I have about 5 ft of water in my basement, and one of our trees came down, but everyone is safe.

At any rate, I will be back -- if sodden!

Keep posting away, however -- you're a great group of writers who I'm sure can survive my sporadic attention.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:33 PM   #114
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I just realized my post might need a little explanation...just a little. Jordo is unconscious...I hope someone will find him. If not...

I would also like to let you know, Fordim, that I will be pretty much absent as well. For five days, I will be on vacation, and I leave tomorrow. I will have access to a computer and will post as often as I can. But this will not be too often, I'm afraid.

Thanks Fordim!

-Durelin
Old 07-16-2004, 03:14 PM   #115
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Great posts everyone -- keep them coming!

I am only checking in very briefly (the tree is gone from my roof and the water is out of my basement, but there is a LOT of damage that needs to be repaired, and a LOT of our belongings to be replaced ).

At any event -- please keep up with the battle against the little beasties. On Monday (or maybe Tuesday) I will be back into full BD swing at which point She Herself will make Her official entrance into the story.

*insert foreboding music here*

Off to my basement (where are those gumboots, anyway. . .?)
Old 07-17-2004, 11:44 AM   #116
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Good luck with the cleanup, Fordim. I have been following the news reports and was aghast to hear that officials had even asked people not to drain their basements yet because the flooding is so extensive and may threaten the water supply. I hope at least none of your books were stored in the basement. At least I gather your computer was not!

Everyone,

I have taken a rather large step in my latest post, #81 I think. I deleted my save from yesterday as what I wanted to do was too complex to fit in with the posts some of you had made. I hope what I have done is okay. Here's a bit of background.

The element sulphur has been known since ancient times. Its name comes from the Sanskrit, sulvere and is known in the Bible as brimstone.

Assyrian texts from 700-600 BC refer to deposits of sulphur along riversides and in the 9th century BC Homer (the poet, not Simpson, ) called it "pest-averting sulphur." I have thus assumed that it would be known to Darash's tribe.

Sulphur is found in volcanoes and hot springs in its natural state. It is not soluble in water. It burns in air to form sulphur dioxide. It is of course found in acid rain.

In high concentrations it causes death by respiratory paralysis. I assumed that the nasty little critters would be more vulnerable more quickly to its smoke than us.

I assumed also that this form of defense would be a way to bring at least some of us together into a more unified action. Please everyone and anyone feel free to take up where I have left off. I don't foresee than any of us will die from the fumes.

Raid the gourd Darash left on the ground. She is carrying another gourd with her but I'm not sure if she will use this means of defense against Shelob.

Mwahaha and have fun.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:16 PM   #117
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Just a note --

I've been busy the last few days, with family visiting and track meets lasting for more than 15 hours ( ), so I put up a save for Jeren for me to fill in by tomorrow so I can get his reaction to the tunnel attack in.

-Aylwen
Old 07-18-2004, 10:30 PM   #118
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

I'm back baby!

Quote:
Good luck with the cleanup, Fordim. I have been following the news reports and was aghast to hear that officials had even asked people not to drain their basements yet because the flooding is so extensive and may threaten the water supply. I hope at least none of your books were stored in the basement. At least I gather your computer was not!
My basement is indeed drained, although we have not yet been able to get a crew out here to clean it up, so the house is beginning to smell a bit, shall we say, ripe. . . Sad to say that I did have a rather large store of books in the basement, most of which are now lost (I only managed to salvage two boxes).

This is all right, as I have too many books anyway. At least my well loved, dog eared copy of LotR is up here in my office, safe and sound.

At any event -- the game!

This is to let you all know that at some point tomorrow morning (EDT), SHE will make her formal entrance. So if you have any last posts/thoughts on the attack in the tunnel, get them up now!

BTW - I love the ingenious ideas you've all come up with to fight off the beasties. I will warn you now, however, that a few rocks and some foul smoke ain't going to do nothing to Shelob but make her even more angry!!
Old 07-19-2004, 07:23 AM   #119
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots

I've just posted.

Rhând might want to steal some of that yellow surverah, to use when he has had enough of the other prisoners.

Let me know if my latests posts needs editing. (I filled my save, last post oage 2, yesterday..)

Cheers,
Nova

(PS! I'm sorry about your basement, Fordim. Hope it'll be alright! Glad you are back though. )
Old 07-19-2004, 07:30 AM   #120
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

At long Spiderly-Last!

She's here! She's here!!

OK, so now you all get to fight Shelob. Feel free to post about the battle however you wish -- get involved in fighting her, try to get away, cower against the all in terror, whatever.

There are, however, certain things that we should all take note of:

First, there is nowhere to hide in this chamber. It is her trap and she's crafted ti well -- all tunnels are blocked by webs that cannot be broken through, all crannies are too small to protect you.

Second, please remember the description of Shelob given us by Tolkien and do her full justice. She's not just a big spider, but one of the primary evil beings of M-E. Her hide is impenetrable by any kind of weapon we have, so hack away but it won't do any good. Sulphur will make her mad, but hey -- give it a shot! Fire is not her favourite thing, but our little torches will only hurt and annoy.

She has but two vulnerable points: her eyes and the wound given her by Sam. Please do not be too free with these, however, as she will be very careful to protect both. She has a lot of eyes, anyway, so even if we take out a few she'll still be able to see. If (and it's a big if) someone can get close enough to her belly to exploit the wound there, we might be able to do some damage, but it won't be enough to kill her (at least, not right off the bat).

So fight fight fight, but there's no way in Mordor we're going to be able to kill her quite yet. . .

(But don't worry, we're going to get out of here. . .somehow )