Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2003, 03:36 PM   #41
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Beren, looking bemused, smiled politely then more warmly at Aman, before turning to go out the door. For a moment, she hesitated, about to do...something...grab his hand maybe, call him back...

But she didn't, and the time passed as he turned and left. The Innkeeper clicked her fingers angrily, but would talk to him later; there was, regretably, too much to do now. Now, who was it who had offered help...

Spying Annalaliath sitting just finishing her last bite of food as she sketched, Aman began to move towards her, careful not to knock into the four hobbits who, between them, were manoevuring what looked like a bedhead through the crowded Inn (the phrase 'too many cooks' flitted through her mind'), and towards Annalaliath, efficiently deflecting and redirecting the flustered shirelings and Green Dragon customers who thronged the Inn. Reaching her goal, she cleared her throat, causing the elf to look her as she swallowed her last bite.

"Good day, Annalaliath. Now...I believe you offered to help?"

The elf smiled, looking around the Inn, and raised an eyebrow. Aman grinned back. "I know, and on such a quiet night..."

The elf laughed. "What can I do?"

After directing Annalaliath upstairs to see Buttercup and help with upstairs (Aman was beginning to feel really sorry for the hobbit waitress!), Aman turned again to survey the Inn. Then the sound of a loud voice reached her ears, from the stable area and, annoyed but worried, bearing in mind the last episode with such a raucous in the stables, Aman dashed out quickly, skirts pulled upo slightly, out towards the stables. She was met by a furious looking hobbit who nearly ran into her. She was a pretty little thing, dark hair bobbing above her shoulders and framing a face which was, while pretty, not the face of someone weak minded. Her beauty would probably have been greater...had she not been nearly spitting with rage.

"Oh, I am sorry -" Aman started, but as the girl bustled past she stopped indignantly. She hadn't even acknoledged it. Still, duty ever called. "Can I help you, miss?"

The hobbit didn't reply, simply cast a filthy look back at the Innkeeper before continuing away at a cracking pace. She was muttering something darkly under her breath. Something which sounded dangerously like a repeated 'I'm gonna kill him, I am going to kill him...'

Her brow creasing in annoyance at the rudeness of the hobbit girl and mild worry for 'him' whoever he was, Aman turned at a noise from within the stable. Like a horse shifting, or maybe a soft snort, or...well, it sounded silly, but it was like a sigh. Sighing herself, Aman turned to look into the stables, picking up the lantern from where it hung on a hook by the door.

"Hello?" She called boldly into the semi-light. "Hello?"

No answer, but the sound of someone being very, very quiet, a sound of its own sometimes. Aman was about to try again when an idea struck her and she lowered her voice. "The hobbit girl has gone."

There it was again, that sort-of-sigh. Aman spun around to one of the stalls where she reckoned it had come from and held the lantern in front of it, fighting to urge to cry 'ah-HA!'. But what she was confronted with was not a horse-theif or pickpocket, or errant little boy even...but a messy haired by still rather striking hobbit. Hamson.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:00 PM   #42
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Uien's lips were soft on his hands. She was more than Light and lodestone this night. She had become in so short a time the one being in all Middle Earth that he cared for more than himself. She was life and goodness.

"I would have sworn an oath to avenge you on the entire race had it been so, Uien. I'll not bind myself, but I will learn sword skill so I can do my part should the need arise." He looked into her eyes, which revealed a heart at peace and given to him, undeserving though he was. "Falowik's face darkened, for he had more to tell, and the tale was to his shame. She was his life and his goodness, a treasure of such great value that she must know the worst.

"I'll not-" He looked away. He must tell Uien, who believed him honourable and a man of his word. He would have to tell her the truth, all of it, and then she would know the kind of man he really was. All he had done since the night he had found - no, not found but retrieved - the satchel of the man of Rohan, was to make amends for not doing more when he could have.

"I'll-" He was still looking along the line of the fence back toward the stable, a shadow under the stars. With a will he looked into Uien's eyes, shining with the starlight. "I'll hide no more, for that was my wrongdoing five or so nights ago in the wilderness." Uien watched his eyes, searching, he thought. In hers the Light burned brighter than ever.

"I saw him held captive and questioned by armed men, nearly a dozen of them. Grim and fell they were. One, biggest and most fell, did not like the lack of answers from the man of Rohan - from Eodwine-" Falowik needed to use the man's name as part of owning his wrongdoing; he owed him that much at least "-nor when answers came, did he like those given. The blood on the rock came from many blows to the head, for Eodwine was propped against it, his hands tied behind his back.

"He was a brave one! They did not break him, though they broke a leg and an arm. Finally, they heaved him face down over the side of an extra mount. It was as they road off that, on a chance, he looked up, and our eyes met. His eyes widened and grew fierce with their call to me to do what I could for his aid.

"But until then I had had no cause but my own survival, and it still came first in my mind. Always I strove to avoid the troubles that other people bring. I could have tracked them. It would have been a simple matter; and maybe I could have found their lair, and made sure Eodwine was alive, and perhaps - perhaps rescued him. But no. Though it was up to me, I did what I thought would be the least troublesome thing, and made my way to the nearest settlement to report my find and be done; or so I thought.

"Little did I reckon with the meddlesomeness of Hobbits! They wanted the story fresh with every new pair of ears. Question after question was asked, and counsel was taken, and I was sent on until I found myself before the Mayor of these folk. He seemed a slow witted fellow, but on his own turf sharp as a roofing tack! And clever with reading what lay unspoken between words used. So he sent me on, and I came here.

"That is my tale. I am not the man of honour that you deem, nor the man of his word, except in one thing: I will not be any man's debtor; I will not be so troubled. That is what you saw of me at first and called honour. I wish it were so.

"This is the tale that I will tell from now on, the one you just heard. It will bring me shame, but well deserved. You have shown me what it is to be a man of honour and one of his word, and I would be that man so that I can become what you hold dear."

Many, many words had fallen from his lips. Falowik had never said so much at once before in his life, but it had been needful. He watched her now, waiting for the enchantment to break, for her to take a deep breath, for her face to close to him, her eyes to go half closed, her back to straighten, her hands to pull away from his, for a smile that went not to the eyes and a 'fare thee well', and all at an end. He could live with that pain, for he had something new to live for, to make what she had believed to be so. Her face betrayed nothing except that she pondered his words.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:16 PM   #43
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hamson blushed a deep red as he stared at the woman who held her lantern up, the full force of its light in his face. He hadn't counted on being discovered in his hiding place by anyone other than Melilot; indeed, he had not counted on even Melilot finding him. What was worse, he recognized the woman. She was the innkeeper, and no doubt very angry that he had taken the liberty to hide in the stable.

"Oh, ma'am!" he cried, jumping up and attempting to give a bow (something he was not accustomed to, and it came off quite clumsily). "I do apologize for hiding the stable, but I had to get away from Melilot... I believe you've seen her, since you know it's from a hobbit lassie I'm hiding?"

"Yes," was the reply of the innkeeper. "She looked quite upset with you."

"Well, she is," said Hamson, his cool coming back. Brushing some stray pieces of straw from his clothes, he leaned casually against the side of the stall and an expression that could almost be defined as a smirk came to his face. "She is very upset with me. Sometimes she feels like killing me, I'm sure."

"I heard as much."

Hamson was not surprised. Melilot grumbled, but she grumbled so loud that it would sound like she was making a speech. "I'll tell you about it if you like. But first I must introduce myself. I'm Hamson Cotton."

"And you may refer to me as Aman," the innkeeper answered, extending her hand. Hamson took it, uncertain what to do with it, then he bowed clumsily again, blushing immediately after when he realized his new acquaintance?s intention had been a handshake. However, he somewhat kept his composure and exited the stall, pulling a long bit of hay from his hair as he did so.

"Yes, ma'am, I'll tell you about it, but only on one condition..."

"Which is?"

"That you don't stop my battle plans against Mel..ilot. I mean, putting pepper in her tea and everything. If I'm kept from that, she will never be off my heels."

Aman smiled at him. "Providing that you aren't too rough on her," she assented. "She seems a strong, stubborn girl, from what I've seen of her, but everyone has their limit. And as long as you narrow it down to occasional pranks. No killing, for example."

Hamson's eyes widened in innocent horror. "Killing?" he gasped. "She may want to kill me sometimes, but I would never do such a thing to anyone, especially if she's a pretty young lass who, unfortunately, is a relative of mine. No, the very worst I could do, ma'am, would be to call for Shiriffs and have them lock her up for a few years, but that, of course, would not work, for as soon as she saw them she would put on her most innocent expression and they would go away after scolding me soundly.

"But I do marvel that you will let me continue to battle with her. Most people (my parents, namely) would consider it highly ungentle-hobbit like and tell me to stop right away. Why do you let me keep on with the battle?"

"Well, I see no harm in the pranks you pull on her. I've seen brothers and sisters play worse pranks on each other, and I wouldn't deny you and your rival the pleasure of being young. I also see that it is the only way you can make her think a little, now that I reflect on it. Besides, I think the girl rather enjoys it."

Hamson had been gradually growing colder and was now shivering visibly. "Thank you, ma'am, and I'll try to resist from calling in the Shiriffs," he chatted. "But, ma'am, might I go inside now? It's rather cold out here for me, though it might be very warm for the horses, and I'm longing for a cup of tea and a flickering fire to sit by." A new thought came to him and he attempted to laugh between the chatters of his teeth. "Anyway, I think I should try to calm Melilot down before she burns down the inn trying to get at me."
Old 09-09-2003, 08:43 PM   #44
Doran Deroder

Sting

The door of the Inn slowly swung open,dark nothingness from the outside gleaming through the threshold.A towering figure in a cloak,hood blackening his facial features,stepped in and walked to Aman.His voice low,gruff.

"A room for the night."

This was all he said.He never had spoke much,not since his mother and father's horrific death.They had been captured by an orc raid...Tortured until driven to insanity...He narrowly escaped just as they were forced to there limits.He turned for a moment to see his father's head rolling to him.His father's eyes were white and he could here is deep voice bomming in his ears.

"It's going to be ok son...It's going to be alright...Just hold my hand...

He looked down at the floor.Despair was filling his stomach like a balck,smothering smoke that squeezed and yanked at his insides,wrenched at his heartstrings,destroyed his soul.He looked up again,nodded to Aman,took his room key and leaned against the wall,gulping down some brandy from his flask.He wiped his mouth with the back of his sleeve.He stared,head hung slightly,at the other occupants of the Inn.He was wandering from his home in Gondor over all of Middle-earth.He always said that life was short,his own life still holding many more adventure as he was youthful,just becoming thirty years young.

He sat in a seat,not wanting to go to bed just yet even after a long journey.He stopped Ruby and oredered a nice hearty steak for dinner.He was social at times but when reminiscing of his past of death and sorrow he remained quiet.

[ September 09, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Old 09-10-2003, 05:31 AM   #45
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah, so therein lies his doubt. Uien was silent as she allowed Falowik to speak, her own thoughts running swiftly in many directions. She watched him struggle with the words and then bow his head as if he expected judgement of some sort. Judgement, from she! Uien began to shake her head slowly and her grip on his hands became stronger. He stared unhappily at where they hung between them in the night.

Of a sudden, Uien released his hands and Falowik glanced sharply at her again. She siezed that moment without hesitation.

"Yes, it could be said that you should have charged in.... by brash fools with more thought for high tales of derring do than the reality of strife between Men."

There was a note of some fire in her voice. She'd heard such debates during the War, listening to the warriors debate long into the nights before they set out to battle. She had not understood those who counselled for them to rush in immediately, and here she found herself struggling with that again.

"Many men, Laurëatan, and you without sword or weapon aside from your wits... You could have fallen upon them, or attempted an escape, but methinks those courses would have been of little avail for Eodwine.

For grim and fell men are not easily thrown aside by one man. Had you fallen in such an attempt, then who now would bring tidings of Eodwine's fate to those who may be able to aid him?"

Uien paused, for the idea of Falowik falling gravely injured or dead was a cold and unwelcome one that chilled her.

"Eodwine is fortunate that the Man who witnessed his attack had the wits to bring news so as to gather a party able to assist him... and the honour to speak of what happened knowing that some less clever would see only what brash false glory they would like to think of how they would acquit themselves.

Soon enough they will know, those rash fools, for we will find Eodwine and they will have their chance to prove their merit against their hasty words."

Uien quietened as Falowik followed her reply. He watched her closely, looking for some hint of disappointment or withdrawal from her. It did not come. A little doubt remained still in his handsome features. Uien leant towards him.

"Far better that you carry word so that something can be done, then fall alone in the wilds - two needless deaths that could have been averted."

Uien's voice carried a ring of certainty. Her brow furrowed a little as another thought chimed within her.

"Must there always be the sword? Would that you did not need to pick one up. Swords bring only pain and death."

Uien looked down at her own hands. They were the hands of a healer, a carver. She remembered then the clever hands of her father and brothers and how her mother's hands had shook so slightly when the news reached her of the men she loved so.

"What then would you have me pick up?" Falowik's voice thrummed through her. Uien smiled quietly at her hands and then up at the man who shared the stars with her, and her heart.

"Only that which would bring you joy, Falowik. Man of honour, clever and true, such things would I have you hold, love."

Never would she wish to see him cleave about with a weapon, for her. She saw the scars such things left once the battle was gone, wounds of the mind and soul. No, never for her. A resolution formed within her as she stood, gazing at Falowik with her gentle smile playing on her lips.

She would never give him cause to pick up a sword and, further, she would bring such joy that he had better things to set his hand to in this life. Uien spoke nothing of this, yet it shone within her face. Falowik, who had expected her to turn away, was instead studying her as she turned towards him, feet unshaken from their path. Far from diminished, he only stood the taller and fairer than before.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 09-10-2003, 12:52 PM   #46
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

elf-girl-63 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Nuinyulma looked at the man who'd just entered. He was wearing a long thick cloak even though it was summer and still quite warm outside. He seemed distant as if he was thinking about other things or trying not to think about them. It was strange- everyone in the inn had a story to tell as if some unknown force that drew people to it.

She laughed to herself- that was very unlikely. The man had now sat down by himself in the corner of the room. She wanted to go and speak to him but felt she needed a reason. She frowned and began to think. Eventually an idea came to her and see stepped lightly across the room.

"Excuse me, but by any chance do you have a knife?"

He looked up and nodded and then handed over a small knife and went back to eating his steak. She sat down and began whittling some sticks she had brought in.

"What are you doing?"

"Oh-trying to make some makeshift arrows- just in case. Why?"

"No reason. Expected someone like you to have a knife."

"Its upstairs in my room." She noticed his glass was empty and signalled to Ruby for a refill who promptly brought one over. Te man nodded in thanks and silently finished his meal.

"Its Nuinyulma by the way."

"Oh right." He sat lost in thought and she could read sadness in his eyes. He seemed to have no problem with her sitting there so she carried on with her whittling while the inn grew busy with the evening crowd. However, no one seemed to notice the man and the elf-maiden sitting in a dark corner of the room and not saying anything- just lost in there thoughts.

[ September 10, 2003: Message edited by: elf-girl-63 ]

All that is gold does not glitter...
Old 09-10-2003, 03:52 PM   #47
Doran Deroder

Sting

He was soon finished with steak and he sat there,staring from under his hood at the maiden.Elves had always fascinated him.He could speak very much elvish,as his mother was an elf.He lowered his hood to show a ruddy face,deep black tangles falling over his shoulders,stubble blending perfectly with his worn face.His ears were slightly pointed upward and his deathy eyes were dark as though they were dank tunnels.

"A lovely elven maiden...I am Doran Deroder,ranger of Gondor."

He bowed his head because of the table in front of him.He watched the crowd grow larger with the fall of night,darkness now spanning the sky as if it was a shadow of an enourmous hand covering all.He remained silent for a few more more minutes,diverting his attention from the elf's whittling to the other occupants of the Green Dragon.They were all chatting merrily,finishing meals and patting their bulging stomachs.He hadn't laughed or smiled in so long that he thought if he tried he look and sound like a madman.

An inaudible sigh escaped his lips and he began to start on his new drink.It tasted stale,everything seemed to be that way but he was used to it.He just needed something in his dry mouth.He kept on drinking until he darted his eyes to Nuinyulma and kept them there.His eyes were intent as he scanned her.He tried to keep evry feature of her in his mind.He wasn't keen on making friends but she could be an allie in the future.

The elf maiden ordered a drink for herself and was about to order another for him but he put his hand on hers and slowly lowered it.He gave her a look saying I shouldn't drink too much.She continued whittling and attempted to start a conversation.

"Why are you in the Shire?"

He took his eyes away from her,paused for a moment and stared out an open window as he spoke.

"I'm travelling all over Middle-earth.When your born in the race of men life is short."

He continued star gazing.He found about eight or nine constellations until he was satisfied and directed his attention to the floor.

Old 09-10-2003, 06:27 PM   #48
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Falowik closed his eyes, soaking in her words. Only that which would bring you joy, Falowik. Man of honour, clever and true, such things would I have you hold, love. He opened his eyes again and looked deep into hers, shining with her wholehearted smile. She had made her choice, and he was astounded by it. She chose to call wise the deed he had done, and foolish what he might have done, overlooking the cold heart that had cared little if at all for the captured man. She had seen that cold heart last night, and had warmed it by her touch and word. He smiled.

"You bring me joy, fair Uien." There was a twinkle in his eye and his smile grew wider. He set his hands on her waist and lifted her into the air. Her hands came down on his shoulders and her eyes came alight. She spoke his name once in surprise. He turned a circle with deft feet, watching her eyes and flying hair as the stars twirled above her, and set her down safely on two feet.

"I shall seek other ways to lift you high!" He offered her his hand. "Shall we make a circuit of the fence?"

She took his hand. "Are you not hungry?"

"Who needs food? I'm full!"

They walked hand in hand with quick steps, away from the Inn. Falowik's voice could be heard as their forms grew small. "I know! I'll lift my voice in song! I'll make verse of fair Uien-" There were more words from the Man, and happy words tripped from the lips of the Elf maiden as they marked the outer course of the horses' pasture. Were there any onlookers, they would have lost count of the number of times they traipsed around the fence. Little difference it made to them; they had the stars, the ground beneath their feet, and each other. Much later they made their way to the Inn to find the Innkeeper and arrange sleeping quarters for Falowik.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:59 PM   #49
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Nuinyulma continued to gaze back at the ranger. She wasn't aware they had them in Gondor but so it appeared. She asked him why he wasn't rangering in his home land but he declined an answer by instead sipping his drink (though flinching at the same time as he he didn't like it) and turning the questions to her.

"So Nuinyulma," he spoke softly, rolling the words off his tongue with ease, "where are you from. There are not many elven maidens in this part of Middle Earth."

She told him of her journey from Lorien and of her wanderings. She also told him of her non-existent future plans and then realised she was rambling and stopped talking. Meanwhile Doran just continued staring at the floor.

"Are you well Mr Deroder?" He didn't look up but just continued staring at the floor. "Well, I'll be off then."

He suddenly jerked his head up and Nuinyulma saw his face properly for the first time. "No. Don't go."

Old 09-11-2003, 05:30 PM   #50
Doran Deroder

Sting

He didn't know what he was saying.The beauty of the Elf had made him say it.He rose and stood by her.He sighed and began to speak.

"Come with me...We're both just wandering aimlessly,no point in life,wanting to see Middle-Earth at it's fullest."

He said this all quietly for some reason.He guessed it was his lack of speak all those long,torturing years.Years of bleak silence.He hadn't ever had a friend.Maybe one or two but everyone he knew died sooner or later.

He wanted to travel and he thought she would the perfect companion.He knew nothing of her yet her name drifted through his mind as well as her stunning apperance.

"If you want to go with me..."

He slwoly lowered his hood and went back to his normal somber antics and remained still,awaiting an answer.

Old 09-11-2003, 06:16 PM   #51
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Uien entered the inn with a face alight, followed by Falowik. Ruby, who was darting past with a tray full of tankwards looked twice at the pair and then found her own speculative smile as she continued on her way.

"Perhaps Aman can help us," Uien said as they scanned the room for the innkeeper.

"Aman's not here. She's outside... just like Beren." Ruby's high Hobbit voice reached their hearing. Her tray was empty now, but her smile remained as she studied Uien and then Falowik in turn. Uien could feel her cheeks colouring slightly and caught Falowik's hand as he looked on.

"Can I help you," Ruby sweetly inquired, batting her lashes.

"Can you allocate lodgings for those who contribute at the inn," Uien returned promptly. Ruby shook her head, looking at Falowik anew.

"You helped shingle the roof," she exclaimed in recognition. "You will need to speak with Aman, but I'm sure we can find something." At that moment a shout for more ale went up at a table. Ruby hoisted her tray and sped towards with a turn of speed that is suprising unless one is familiar with the fleet footed Perian of the Shire.

Espying a table not yet claimed, Falowik suggested they recify that whilst they waited. They traced a way through the press to reach it by the hearthplace and find a seat. Falowik was glancing around the busy commonroom when Ruby again popped up.

"Cider or ale this time? Oh, and the Shiriff is over in that far corner too, if you're thinking about tossing more bread." Falowik requested a malty ale and Uien once more opted for watered wine. Her head was light enough as it was in Falowik's presence. Ruby left to see to it as Uien looked over at the man who had done this to her over such a short period of time.

She could still recall his hands upon her waist as he spun her about, his face as he looked up at her, his voice in the gathering night.

"It seems to be very busy tonight," Falowik observed of the inn as he looked about. Uien stirred from her spiralling thoughts.

"If all else fails, you can take my lodgings in the loft and I will find something with the Ruby or Buttercup." Falowik glanced back at the Elf and saw her expression then. His smile in return was all it took for the buzz of the crowd to fall away and the lightness that was him to rise within her once more.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 09-11-2003, 08:28 PM   #52
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Falowik took a sip of malty ale, licked his lips, and turned to Uien.

"A light has come out of the night
and given warmth where all was cold;
fair Uien-" He looked up at the beamed ceiling, grinning, and looked into her eyes.
"-fair Uien's beauty fills my sight,
her heart more true than can be told.

"I need practice," Falowik grinned.

"You made it just now!"

"No, I've been working it out the whole time we walked around the pasture fence. Rhyming's a hard task!"

She sipped her watered wine and laid her hand upon his arm. What she felt was in her eyes. Falowik place his hand over hers. He could not keep the happiness from filling his cheeks with a smile. He looked around the common room, steadied by the solidity of her hand.

"See that hooded man over yonder? The tall one?" Falowik nodded. "Sitting with the whittling Elf maiden? They are new here; wanderers, think you?" Uien nodded, glancing at the two Falowik mentioned, though her eyes spent far more time watching him. "Maybe we would do well to learn of them and see if they might have a mind to go hunting in the Hills of Evendim?"

"That seems well, Laurëatan."

"In a little while, then. I'd stay here with just you and me for a while yet."

The front door opened with more force than usual, and in strode a Hobbit who looked as grim and purposeful as any that Falowik had seen. The Hobbit stopped Ruby.

"I'm looking for Falowik the Wanderer. Is he here?"

"Yes, Master..." she left the question hanging between them.

"Brandybuck. Doderic Brandybuck to you. The Master of Buckland has sent me. Is the Man here?"

Ruby pointed toward Falowik and Uien. "Would you have a drink, Master Brandybuck?"

"Thanks, but I've no time, more's the pity." Doderic Brandybuck covered the small distance from the middle of the room to their table.

"Are you Falowik?" The Hobbit was direct and business like, at least.

"Yes, I am."

"The Master of Buckland has sent for you. He asks that you come with me at once."

"What would he with me?" Falowik asked.

"You know of the Man of Rohan, Master Eodwine, a servant of the Master's good friend, the King of Rohan. He wants the news straight from you, he bade me tell you, for he intends to set about Master Eodwine's rescue more quickly than the locals are likely to." Doderic gave a measuring glance over Falco Boffin's way, who was busy with an ale and studiously ignoring their table. He turned back to Falowik. "Can you come, now?"

"But-" Uien started. Falowik rose, his ale less than half finished. Her hand slipped from his arm.

"I can come." Falowik turned to Uien. "I must do this, fair one!" He would not speak so freely before the Hobbit as he had under the stars. He hoped that his eyes said all he needed. If I am all that you believe me to be, then I must do this.

"Have you a pony or horse?" Doderic asked.

"Nay, I do not. I do not ride."

"You must now, for the Master would speak with you yet this night. I'll have a word with the Innkeeper or stablemaster and return in a moment." With that, Doderic moved away from them to accost the nearest of the Inn's crew.

Falowik sat back down and turned to Uien again, sure that she would have something to say about this turn of events.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:23 AM   #53
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Annalaliath, having gone upstairs as she had been directed, found that she was to help Buttercup prepare for a visit from the previous innkeeper. Anna really didn't remember this woman nor her husband, but the fun was that they were coming.

She said little as she worked, doing as she was directed by Buttercup. A funny sight if seen, a Hobbit seemingly giving orders and direction to and Elf.

Annalaliath had removed her filthy cloak and deposited it along with her things in her room before coming to this one. She had also changed from her mud caked boots to a pair of soft leather shoes. Her cloths were defiantly Elvin in their elegance but as sturdy as any Hobbits garments. They were worn with age and repaired many times over, but remarkably beautiful all the same. She desperately needed new ones. As soon as she could she would go to the market and find some fabric and notions.

She worked well into the night with Buttercup and when all the room was finished she slipped off to bed. She dreamed of the time when all things were beautiful and she was happy. When her father was alive and no hint of her mother. The dreams were welcome compared to the nightmares that haunted her as of late. Annalaliath slept.

[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Annalaliath ]
Old 09-12-2003, 11:54 AM   #54
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Nuinyulma suddenly felt a shiver run down her spine. The almost pleading look Doran had given her was frightening- it reminded her of her mother when she was asked to leave for the Grey Havens. She hadn't mentioned that to anyone who had yet asked her although now felt a willingness to do so. How could she turn yet another hopeful person down? Tiruviel had been hopeful but not this-was desperate the right word?

However, she felt a warmth between her and the man and so almost whispering, gave her answer, "I do not know where we will go but you have my word I will come with you."

Doran looked up. He did not speak but instead nodded and smiled and started rummaging in his cloak. After a moment or two he brought out a small jewel on a silver chain.

"Here take this. It will remind you of the promise you just made."

She smiled and took the necklace- it sparkled in the glittering fire of the evening.

Old 09-12-2003, 04:42 PM   #55
Doran Deroder

Sting

His smile grew even wider as she accepted.This was his first smile,his first true,sincere smile in so long.He knew that he had no chance to be with her as she would have to give up her immortality to be with him.He then remembered where he had received the necklace and his smile faded.

"My mother gave it to me...She told me to promise her that I wouldn't come back and save her after I escaped from the orc raid that killed my parents..."

At this moment you'd expect him to cry,but he was so used to it that no tears came upon his withered face.He sighed and smiled weakly.He thought for a moment and decided.

"I think I can have another drink."

[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Doran Deroder ]

Old 09-12-2003, 08:02 PM   #56
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Uien shot a glance to Falco Boffin, who seemed fascinated with the table his ale tankard sat upon still. Falowik had sat again and Uien turned to him with earnest face.

"I would not stand in your way, Falowik. Only this I will say. If Eodwine is injured then he will have need of a healer. My offer remains as it was earlier this day. Perhaps the Master of Buckland may find it as useful as the Shiriff did."

Falowik examined her closely, glancing back to where Doderic stood making arrangements for horses.

"I would not have you caught in this trouble," he murmured to her.

"Would you have me stand idle when a Man lies gravely injured, love?" Falowik sighed unhappily and looked back to Uien. A steadfast determination was luminous in her face. He shook his head, although to what Uien could not say. He leant towards her to speak quietly.

"And who might this be, so closely involved in these affairs," Doderic's voice intruded. Uien looked up to see that he was not well pleased.

"Uien," she said simply.

"Simply that," he pushed further. Elves went about with more than a singular name.

"Is that not enough Master Doderic," Uien countered. She relented as she saw his ire rise. "I am Uien of Lothlorien, once, but now I am Uien of the Green Dragon, healer."

Doderic, having Uien's identity in hand, got back to his chief business. "Seems we need to speak with the Stablemaster, one Derufin, to get a horse," he muttered unhappily. The delay was pressing on him.

"Perhaps I can assist you then. I am Derufin's assistant." Doderic looked at Uien with renewed interest, Falowik reluctant now. Uien stood and glanced to Falowik.

"A Man's life could hang in the balance, if I am not mistaken," she said further. Falowik rose from his seat.

"Indeed, Uien of Lothlorien. Lead on," Doderic replied urgently with a familiarity that Uien found remarkable given his earlier prickly nature. Falowik frowned with his misgivings but moved off with them as they set off in search of Derufin and horses. Uien glanced more than once to Falowik as they crossed the yard. Hope was in her eyes that he understood. If time was of the essence, and weighed upon his heart as she had seen it beneath the stars, then she would do all she could to aid him and this Eodwine, if only to set Falowik's heart free of regret.

"Interesting indeed that an Elf of Lothlorien, healer, lingers at an inn as a Stablehand," Doderic observed.

"And fortunate for your Master of Buckland, mayhap," Uien replied simply as they reached the stables.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:03 AM   #57
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

A tear rolled down Nuinyulma's cheek. Why was she crying? And in front of a man she hardly knew as well!

"I can not take his Doran. Not know that I know of its past, its previous owner."

"NO. You must have it- I have kept it long enough and anyway you will suit it much better." They both laughed ordered some more drinks and some supper for Nuinyulma. A small steak with plenty of gravy soon arrived and the elf began to tuck in.

"So, a ranger in Gondor. That is an unusual occupation. I did not know such people exist."

"They did. But know, there is not much need for them. The Shadow is past, King Elessar is on the throne and all is well. Many of us wander the lands- helping those we see need assistance." He sighed and drank his ale and Nuinyulma finished her meal. She took her plate over to the bar.

Ruby was serving drinks and spoke to her Nuinyulma. "Who's he? Aman said he was a bit strange-even for round her."

"A ranger of Gondor. His name is is Doran. Be not quick to judge dear Ruby- we all have our faults and hurts."

Old 09-13-2003, 03:52 AM   #58
Doran Deroder

Sting

He continued to drink as Nuinyulma talked to Ruby.He caught a few words of what they were saying.He frowned and continued drinking.He watched how the necklace upon her face.He smiled slightly and finished his ale.

He sighed,remembering again.Why him?Why...?He supposed it was just his destiny.

Old 09-13-2003, 06:49 AM   #59
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

With a creak and a swing, the door of the inn opened and in stepped a small, slight figure. A first impression would give one the idea of a young woman near or just begun adulthood. A long, dark grey cloak swished softly around her body as she turned to close the door behind her.

She stood about 5'6" tall and wore a dark grey tunic and pants beneath the cloak with a dark brown belt bound about her waist, a sword hanging at her left side in a dark leather-bound sheath. Her small pale hands looked gentle and fragile as they eased the door back into the doorway, and only from her nose and below was visible due to the shadow of the cowl. Several large locks of hair fell forward from her hood and they were dark brown with somewhat subdued fiery golden flecks appearing as the lesser light within the inn shone on them. She turned on knee-high dark brown boots and stepped lightly to a table and sat, looking as if she were uncomfortable as her lips pressed together slightly.

She put her small hands on the table and put them softly together as she looked about the Inn, taking in all that she saw with a curiosity unique to her. For a moment, her discomfort passed and a small smile appeared on her fair face while she looked about her.

She then looked down to her hands and listened, not because she was nosy, but because she wanted to know what kind of people these were. She was a bit confused by it all, but from what she gathered they were a kind, decent people, and at that thought her shoulders eased a bit more. She pulled down her hood now that she felt sure she was in a safe enviroment, though her father would have scolded her for it.

Her long brown hair arrayed itself on her back and shoulders, reaching to just over half-way down her back. Her hand reached up and brushed her hair behind one plainly elven ear as her now visible eyes looked about again. They were of a strange color, a blue-green which seemed to alternate between the two depending on the light and her mood. At the moment they were almost a hazel, their color indescernable as either green or blue, but rather a mixture of both. As she glanced around, she wondered which of the persons here was the Inn Keeper, for she would need a place to stay.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:34 AM   #60
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Nuinyulma returned to her seat and smiled at Doran.

"I heard what she said Nuinyulma. There is no need to hide it from me or to stand up for me. I can fight my own battles." He stared at her new jewel and was painfully reminded of his parents. She took his hand in hers and quietly whispered part of her favourite verse;

/All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost
The strong which is old does not wither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost [/]

"Remember Doran, those who love you will wish to help you. Pain from the past should, should not haunt you. Life continually moves on, until it is ended. At least for you it is- one day I will leave this world forever but not to death. Be glad that you do not share this fate for otherwise you will be constricted to dreaming and those who dream do not make things that are good happen."

"You are right Nuinyulma, I fear. I do dream to much. I dream about changing the past and what might have been. I will stay here for one more day and then leave, we will eave together and shall make our way south to wherever the road takes us."

"I cannot. I am staying here a while yet, I will work to earn my keep and then I do not know- I am sorry if you shall not stay but that is my decision."

Old 09-13-2003, 10:05 AM   #61
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Derufin was in the stable, grooming one of the horses with care. His face was unlined, his eyes distanct, as though his thoughts were far off. Upon hearing the footsteps of the Elf, Hobbit, and Man, Derufin faced them while continuing with his task. Uien introduced Doderic and Derufin to each other, and Doderic stated his business in his curt manner, though not without Hobbitish courtesy.

"So you have need of a horse for Falowik," Derufin mused. "All here are owned by guests of the Inn-" he paused "-save one, the chestnut charger there, the mount of Eodwine of Rohan."

"The very same...." Doderic mused. "Seeing as this is the only one, might we make use of him?"

"He is not mine to give," Derufin objected.

"Mayhap," said Uien, "the charger will tell us for himself what he wishes." She walked over to the horse as the three looked on with blank faces, the light of understanding flickering on in each one at a time, last in Doderic, who tipped his head in fascinated awe; Uien was the first Elf he'd seen, though he'd heard enough from the Master's tales.

Uien approached the charger and spoke calm words in a speech none of them knew. The charger raised his head from his food trough and watched her. His big brown eyes held the faintest fear, which vanished in a moment; his ears perked. Uien reached up and stroked his cheek, speaking to him in soft words all the while. Awareness of the other three came into the horse's eyes, and he gave a low rumble that Falowik did not understand in the least; it made him wary. He shuffled his feet. Uien turned to them, beaming.

"His name is Flít-haf; 'fleet of hoof'," she smiled. "He is willing to bear Falowik and me to Buckland."

"And you, assistant?" Derufin's brow rose.

"Falowik has never ridden horse before," she answered. "I can help Flíthaf and Falowik befriend each other, and the journey will go more quickly that way." Derufin still looked skeptical. "The need is urgent, Master Stableman! I ask to be released from my duty, for a short while."

"It could turn into a long while if you would go on this errand of rescue, Uien." Derufin had paused in his strokes. The horse beneath his touch stamped a hoof. Derufin patted the horse's side and continued the strokes.

"Uien," said Falowik, "I think that you should stay here, at least tonight; who else can recruit if we're both gone to Buckland? I do not trust Falco to the chore. If you will go on the rescue errand, so be it. But with a horse beneath me, I can be back tomorrow."

Doderic stamped his bare foot. "Time is escaping as we belabor this," he urged.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:14 PM   #62
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Annalaliath woke. (Elves don't really sleep do they; they just pretend. Or at least Anna does) She was feeling rather awkward and wondered why. Her dreams had been good ones but she still had a strange sense of foreboding. She stood up and slipped into her soft shoes. Annalaliath made her way out of her room down the stairs and out the doors. She was at the stable before she knew it. When she looked up she saw the doors of the stables. They seemed to be ajar, without thinking she slipped in and was standing by her horse.

She found herself there and she had not idea why. She just stood there looking at her steed. And thought of all the places she had been. She wondered what everyone back home in Lorien were doing, how they were. And then she thought of her father, where was he? Was he alive or dead? Had mother found him? Then a picture of him falling down the stairs and of Loth Lorien intruded and she started to laugh. She laughed till her sides hurt, the picture of herself and her father laughing at his embarrassing moment..
Old 09-13-2003, 01:35 PM   #63
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Esgallhugwen sighed easily at a job well done. An Elf works fast but two Elves the faster, Lira stood dusting herself off, the wine labeling accomplished she put out the oil lamps.

They headed towards the stairs; Lira laughed every so often at an old memory that Esgallhugwen knew nothing about. Peering around the wooden post, laying their eyes among many a new guest some looked to have met up with others as seemed to be the way things went in such a place as this; strangers meet and the next they are having personal conversations with one another telling stories and things they would not normally tell.

Lira took a seat by the hearth with Esgallhugwen close, but making it clear she did not want to go closer to the fire than she had to, only close enough to feel a slight warm. For once she was content; not cold, not hungry, not tortured by fire and steel, not running, not tired, not forsaken and not some horrible war mongering beast that her Father had tried to make her into.

She gazed deeply into the warm glow of the flames; feeling afraid and yet not so a Hobbit fire could do no harm, it was not made with the intention of harm and torture, yet still capable if only given the chance ...as all things were.

The night deepened as the two Elves sat across from one another. One fair to look upon though an uncertain dread shuddered in whoever did so and one decievingly unfair though her voice told of otherwise.

Esgallhugwen left the table then, sending a thought (as the Elves do) to Lira telling she would be outside taking in the beauty of the night.

The moon was deep in silver light outshinning the lesser stars around it's halo and giving her hair flecks of silver flame as the Elves she once knew described it. She took note that she still hadn't retrieved her cloak, gauntlets and sword from Morsereg's stall and that her bow and quiver and healing gear were safe in her room.

Esgallhugwen stepped within and walked lightly to the last stall where her dark stallion stood and neighed rather loudly. His proud greetings startled the group who were at the far entrance conversing about something in dire need of being done.

Esgallhugwen unlatched the hook being slightly embarrased, sounds were crisper in the stillness of the night. She hated attention being drawn to her, but this was the Shire not the wild and perhaps it could not be helped.

She spoke softly to Morsereg putting aside for awhile the reason she came in the first place.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:22 PM   #64
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Uien turned aside, glancing at Flithaf for a moment. Doderic shifted his weight impatiently. What Falowik said made sense, but that did not make it any easier. She sighed heavily and turned back, inclining her head in reluctant agreement.

"Very well, I will remain and see what aid can be garnered from those here," she said. Doderic rubbed his hands together, pleased that a prolonged debate had been spared. Derufin cleared his throat, the matter of Flithaf's use not entirely put to rest. Uien gave Doderic a long, measuring gaze before she turned to the Stablemaster.

"Falowik will see that Flithaf is returned to you here. I will vouchsafe it," she said quietly. Derufin maintained a rhythmic stroking as he chewed it over mentally. With a sigh he waved his assent on. Uien smiled at that. "My thanks, Derufin," she said gravely. Derufin nodded, continuing his brushing.

Doderic again shifted his weight, clearly eager to be away. Uien paused a little still, murmuring to the charger that stood beside her. He was a mixture of curiosity and restiveness, for Flithaf was not a horse that liked the idleness of stables and day pastures. It was the road and wide plains that he wished before him. Doderic announced that he was going to ready his own mount and leapt to that task.

Flithaf restively shivered and sidestepped as they saw to his tack. He mouthed his bit as though he too were keen to be on his way and had shivered when the saddle blanket had been thrown over his back, tail swishing and ears flicking. Once the charger was saddled, Uien passed Falowik the reins so that he could lead Flithaf from the stables.

She walked along side him and stood beneath a canopy of bright stars. Many things moved through her. When she looked at Falowik, she saw that he was studying her carefully, concerned.

"I think this is best," he started. Uien placed a hand on his arm and Flithaf snorted behind them.

"You are right, Laurëatan. Flithaf will bear you swiftly and safely." Uien paused then, for the urge to lean against him and rest her head on his shoulder was pressing hard upon her. Doderic was bound to be nearby. She managed a smile for Falowik and instead let her fingers lightly brush down the side of his cheek.

"I will seek aid. If I hear no word, I will set out with them to seek the Master of Buckland in two days. It is my hope that I will be able to bring you assistance earlier than that." Uien spoke calmly and with firm resolve as she gazed up at Falowik.

He smiled quietly back at her. The evening breeze lifted her hair. Falowik reached to tame it back from her face, still holding the reins in one hand.

"Thank you, Fair Uien," he murmured and her eyes closed as his fingers passed over one cheek. Uien's eyes opened again knowing that never would she forget the sound of his voice as it shaped her name, nor his touch. Stars hung over his head as lightness surged within her.

"May Elbereth watch over you, Falowik Laurëatan, my love," she dared whisper up to him.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:56 AM   #65
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand

A lady in white was seen running, her footsteps lightly touching the ground. All who caught sight of her slipping into the inn were dumbfounded. She appears to be more like a falling star than a Dunedain.

Yet, a Dunedain she was, one of the remnants of the Numenoreans who made their abode North of Middle-Earth. She was a kinsman of the King, daughter of Gilraen's brother.

She stops, and asks the lady in front of her, "I look for one Elenrod Finrodion. Was he staying here?"

"Yes, my lady," she responded. "Upstairs, in one of the rooms." But then, Elenrod's golden hair was seen shimmering through the entrance of the Common Room.

"Lady Eledhwen, why are you here? What is urgent enough to take you from your home?"

"Meldanya, the King calls for you. He has heard of all you've done for the undoing of the Dark Lord, and plans to reward your deeds."

"No, not all. No one can know of all that happened to me in the Black Land. And..." He suddenly ceased talking, and trembled in fright. "...no one else must know what I've done. I almost fell under his shadow. If my tale is recounted, the terror of his presence will haunt others, as it had continuously haunted me."

They fell silent. Elenrod looked West, his vision piercing the walls of the inn, reaching far out to the sea. Then, she turned his eyes back on the white lady.

"Nay, Melatariel. I cannot go. I must now return to the West. Farewell, White Lady of Arnor."

He ran towards the exit, and Melatariel tried to follow her. But, he was quickly lost, and only the glimmer of his hair in starlight was seen.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:44 AM   #66
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Annalaliath started to walk back to the inn as se wiped some tears away. The memory of her father always made her laugh till tears and that was good. She walked in through the front door, smelling strongly of hay and horses. She walked around some of the new comers in the common room , greeting each in turn; as she made her way to the stairs.

She nodded a greeting to Doran Deroder as she walked by the corner table that she had occupied so much the last time she had been here. Annalaliath spoke a word of greeting to the maiden sitting her table(Lumiel). And also to Lady Eledhwen. Annalaliath strode quietly and swiftly towards the stairs that led to her room above.

Tomorrow she would clean her cloths, and go to the market for some fabric, she badly needed new ones. Her cloak swirled behind her the mud staining it flaking on the floor. The cloak that the Lady of the wood had made for her, Annalaliath, the charge of Galadriel. Suddenly she felt a pang of hatred for her mother. As this happened her face changed with it. Her brows furrowed and her eyes became hard, the inexhaustible pools of blue grey seemed to turn to ice. Annalalaith stopped at a support beam and leaned on it. She stared at the floor as to not let others know of her trouble. The feelings passed and she continued on.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:39 PM   #67
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Watching the people come and go, Lumiel passed the time. Her finger habitually went to a hidden lump near her neck where an heirloom hung on a small silver chain of mithril.

She saw the Lady Eledwen, and thought her a fair lady, who brought to her memories too distant to be more than a faded blur. She folded her hands on her lap, hoping that what caused Eledwen to hurry so was not any sort of serious trouble.

She half closed her eyes, listening to the sounds of civilization, or at least it seemed that way to her, who had little experience with such places. The Lady Annalalaith gave her a greeting and she returned it with a nod and a smile. She absent-mindedly watched her as she walked away, and then stopped by a support beam. Suddenly the woman's fair, happy disposition changed to one of anger and anxiety, or so it seemed to Lumiel. She knit her brow in concern for the woman, and felt an urge to help her somehow, though she knew it was more than likely she could do little for the woman's hurts, whatever they were. None-the-less, she felt that she should do something, so she stood up, ready to walk over to Annalalaith, but her chance passed as she continued up the stairs.

She sat back down again and looked around. Perhaps someone here could tell her who that woman was and also who the Innkeeper was, as she still needed a room, prefering the comfort of a warm bed to the open night, which she had experienced quite enough for a while to last.

[ September 15, 2003: Message edited by: Lumiel ]
Old 09-15-2003, 02:44 PM   #68
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

"-my love." He was glad they had left the stables and that no one had heard her declaration. He was not ashamed of her love, but Falowik had never let any of his mind or heart be known to anyone until a day ago, and then only to this one Elven lady, her beauty resplendent so that it seemed she could be blown into the air with the breeze - yet solid to the touch and with a will like mithril. He did not want the treasure of what they shared to be flashed before the world.

"I am coarse and ill fit to hold what you give, d - dearest, fairest one." She made to speak protesting words, but he shook his head, and she forbore. "I will return as quickly as Master Doderic and Flithaf allow. I fear I shall weaken the minute I am gone from you, and fail of all the good you have nursed in me, for away from you, I am less than nothing." Again she opened her mouth to gainsay him. He put his finger to her lips. "Fair one, fair my Uien, love, my heart of hearts, the stars are your food and drink, for their fire lights you in the night." Falowik took his finger from her lips and took hold of her right hand. "But you are my star, so I pray you, shine from afar. When I look to the west, I will seek the light that comes from you, for it is all the light I know. Fairest Uien, heart of my heart, my love, my star." He raised her hand to his lips and held it there, closing his eyes, drinking in the tenderness of her skin, and its fragrance; he raised his eyes to hers, which shone with a brilliance he had not yet seen, and an ardor that was too much for him.

"I am lucked beyond measure, dearest Uien, and all evil that has touched me before is as nothing, for I have known and loved you, and have received yours. It is more than any man can ask from his days." He wanted to release the reins and take her in his arms, and love her in deed as well as word, but it would be unseemly, and he was needed elsewhere this very night. He let slip her hand with a final kiss, and stepped into the stirrup - and missed; stumbling, his face collided with the horse's side, which stood unmoving.

"Here, let me help," Uien offered.

Falowik rubbed his face and chuckled. "See what good you do me? Any other day I would have fallen into a rage at the shame of such clumsiness. Listen to how I talk when I'm with you. Is this Falowik?" " He expected some words in reply, but they did not come. He looked at her face, and saw such light and a mixture of joy with regret at their parting, that she had no need of words. The stirrup in her hands held firm as Falowik placed his foot in it, and in another moment was sitting in the saddle, looking down at Uien. Her eyes shone still.

"Elbereth, my Laurëatan."

"Eárendil, my Lodestone."

Doderic was waiting. Falowik shook the rains once, and Flithaf was off, trotting toward Doderic and his pony. Uien watched Falowik's back as it dwindled into the distance.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:20 PM   #69
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Lira leaned toward the fire's flame and sighed gratefully. The warmth of the fire enrapped her, tingled her flesh delightedly; the grey smoke drifted lightly towards her, enveloped her with a light shroud and made her eyes water slightly. I will be outside Esgallhugwen said. Lira nodded in assent and watched the fair elf stride to the door and disappear into the fading twilight.

Lira sighed and, sliding from her seat near the fire, sank to the floor and held her pale cheek against the red brick of the hearth. Weariness swept over the ugly elf maid, the heat of the bricks whispered bewitchingly of rest and fair dreams...the faint, calling neigh of a horse woke Lira from her sleep, and frowning, Lira realized that it was her own mare that called to her. Rising, she swayed unsteadily to her feet and strolled slowly towards the stable that was lit irredescently with the silver light of the moon. As she went to her mare, she saw that the elf maid Uien and the other man were speaking to each other, and Lira smiled softly as she saw their love.

She lifted the latch of the stall, and slipped beside her horse who whickered softly in greeting. Lira glanced into the manger and saw that it was filled with food and that fresh water was in the trough. "Little one," she whispered into the horse's ears, calling the mare by an old nickname. "You missed me, did you?" She laughed as the horse pranced in eager affirment. "I am sorry, little one," she said stroking the soft muzzle. "I was busy in the wine cellar, labelling the many different wines for the innkeeper. We finished the job, Esgallhugwen and I."

Patting the horse in farewell, Lira turned and wandered under the light of the moon, finally perching upon the wooden rail of the corral in a pool of moonlight, her pale hair glimmering softly, her blue lit with a haunting glow as she wandered paths of memory. A song flitted through her mind and, almost absently, she began to murmur the lay of Luthien and Beren.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:04 PM   #70
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Uien watched the moonligh play silver over Falowik's hair as he rode with Doderic into the night. A faint smile played on her lips, heart full with his words and what had shone within his face and eyes. If he expected her love to diminish, she would have the joy of defeating such a foretelling. Shine she would if it meant lighting his way. Behind her, the sound of the Lay of Luthien floated in the air.

Some accorded it a tale of sadness, but there was much joy also. Uien sighed and turned to face the stables. A woman stood, singing by her horse. Perhaps she too understood the joy of Luthien's choice. Uien lifted her hand and her gaze met Lira's. Luthien gave much for her love, yet to Uien's mind she understood how much she recieved in return. After a moment of shared understanding between the two, Uien turned for the inn.

She had two days to muster aid before she set out and she planned to use them well. Hoping she would have the opportunity to speak with Lira prior to leaving, Uien entered back into the boisterous commonroom. Her gaze swept over the two that Falowik had pointed out to her. They were still sitting together. Another to speak to. Her gaze then found one Falco Boffin, Shirrif.

Her words of earlier that day circled in her head and Falco gaze slid away from hers. He became further enamoured of the table top when he realised that Uien was walking for him with purpose in her face.

"Shirrif Boffin," she said. Falco looked up at her, perhaps in the hopes that she really was not there. "Uien," he replied uncomfortably.

"I thought it would interest you to know that the Master of Buckland has sent his Second for Falowik, concerning the matter of Eodwine's disappearance. The two have departed only now so that they may speak with him." Falco's brows shot up, at that.

"And you did not go with them," he said in surprise.

"I plan to seek the Master of Buckland with the aid of others so that a search party can be formed. I will set out two days hence will all who are willing to assist."

"And I suppose Falowik has a big group of eager civic-minded assistants just waiting to be rounded up," Falco quipped.

"I thought perhaps you might have, Shirrif," Uien returned with some asperity at the implication. She paused then, drawing back before her anger rose. Falco saw her only straighten, as though she were rising above him with haughty pride.

"No matter," she ammended after a moment's silence. "If I must do this without your help, I shall Shirrif. My word on it. Good evening." With that Uien turned and left, making for the table where Nuinyulma and Doran Deroder sat in quiet converse. Falco watched her depart from beneath an offended, creased brow.

"Meddlesome..." he muttered, taking a long pull of ale from his tankard. If she thought to usurp his legitimate authority on grounds of her Elvish "wisdom", then she had underestimated just how seriously he took his responsibilities as Shirrif.

For Uien though, she had put aside the far from satisfactory exchange with Falco for the time being. Her only hope was to perhaps win his aid at some future point, if indeed his aid was worth having. Uien was far from decided on that matter. Ruby was also making for the same table, Deran having indicated that he could do with another drink.

"I see to it, Ruby. It's a busy night," Uien offered. Ruby smiled appreciatively and veered off to another table who also had a hand up for a drinks order. Uien continued on and found the pair sitting in silence.

"Excuse me," Uien began with a grave smile as she looked first at Nuinyulma and then at Doran. "I saw that you wished a drink and thought it would be an opportune moment to speak with you both of a matter of some importance. I hope I am not intruding."

Both returned Uien's gaze with a somewhat puzzled one. The Elf maiden realised her lapse with some internal chagrin for her own inelegance. The night had been a busy one, but that was no excuse. She missed Falowik's steadying presence already and she had two days before any hope of remedying that.

"I am Uien, and I work here at the Green Dragon Inn," she explained to them. "Please, may I speak with you. It will not take long. I will be only too happy to arrange for refreshments regardless of whether my company is to your liking or no." Uien fell silent then, hands clasped at her waist as she waited to learn if her clumsy approach had not cost her yet again.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:18 PM   #71
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Lira thought of Luthien as she sang the lay, how the elf maid had given and received much love. Her eyes met Uien's at that moment and Lira knew that Uien herself knew what Luthien had shared. Uien turned and returned to the inn while Lira quietly continued to sing, before her voice faded into nothingness. She wondered why Uien had seemed to so sad to bid the golden haired man farewell. Something was in the wind.

Neighing farewell to her horse, Lira strode swiftly towards the inn and looked for Uien. She was beside a table, quietly conversing with another elf and a man. Retreating swiftly into the shadows, Lira waited a few tables away for Uien and the others to finish.

Old 09-16-2003, 08:14 PM   #72
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Esgallhugwen had decided it would be a good night to take a walk, unlatching the stable door after Lira's voice faded off even though the memory didn't. A few tears streamed down her face; it was a grievous song but was laced with golden tones of better days for the Elves.

Morsereg followed behind unbridled and unsaddled. He nudged Esgallhugwen softly to comfort her sad tears, patting him on the head they slowly drifted off down the trail turning to paly shadows. Clad in the raiment of her kin and the sword her Mother gave her, she smiled once more back at the warm glow of the inn; speaking softly to Morsereg in her own tongue.

later that night:

When Esgallhugwen returned the night deepened but the light of the moon did not falter. She sent Morsereg back to the stable and entering the Inn had to become accustomed to the thick smell of ale once again. She waved over to Lira able to percieve her in the shadow of the corner, very odd for Lira to be sitting in the shadow. But Lira was awaiting for Uien to finish converse with two other individuals, something was in the air... something always was. Esgallhugwen sat next to lira in silence.

[ September 16, 2003: Message edited by: Esgallhugwen ]
Old 09-17-2003, 10:37 AM   #73
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Nuinyulma looked at Doran and the at the elf who stood before them and signalled for her to sit down.

Doran spoke, "It is good to meet you Uien but tell me, you say you work at the inn. Yet I have not seen you before."

Uien smiled and explained how she shingled the roof- other than that she said nothing. As the two sipped their drinks, she sat patiently hoping they would at least let her speak and explain her position.

After what seemed like an eternity, Nuinyulma placed her tankard on the table, "Please go ahead Uien for I am keen to hear what you have to say."

[ September 18, 2003: Message edited by: elf-girl-63 ]

Old 09-17-2003, 04:07 PM   #74
Arveleg
Pile O'Bones

Arveleg has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A crusty old hobbit wearing a green/brown cloak walked with his cane toward the Green Dragon. He had heard of the legendary ale of this place, for word had gotten down to the Sarn where he farmed some of the most famous of leaf. But Sarn Smokelittle didn't smoke so much, but liked instead to brew ale.

He pused the door open to the Green Dragon, and walking in like he owned the place, he waved at a maid and said,

'Gimmee one of these most famoustest Green Dragon ales I heared about down south.'

Really he was thinking that Sadie Longtresses was overly fond of the ale when she was by here last year that she exagerated its quality. So he would find out for himself now.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:16 PM   #75
Asa

Tolkien

A tall lean Elf walks slowly toward the Green Dragon inn. He had traveled far to this place seeking not the Grey Havens as many other Elves did but to learn of the mysterious folk that lived in this part of the world namely "Hobbits"

As he opened the door to the inn he noticed that he would be learning of more then just hobbits. All maner of folk were gathered here drinking their ale or smoking thier pipeweed. Thier were Dwarves, Hobbits, Elves, and Men all in one place.

Elmerith went to an empty table in a corner of the inn he looked around the inn again. Maybe he would be luky and hear some nteresting news or maybe there would be a quest to go on. Elmeith was thirsting for some adventure.

As he continued in his reflections he began to realize that he was thirsting fore a more earthly desire in his eyes. He called out to the baretender and signaled for a glass of wine.

Old 09-18-2003, 05:15 PM   #76
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Uien told her tale. She told Doran and Nuinyulma of Eodwine, Messenger of King Eomer of Rohan, who had come to the Inn about two weeks before. Uien had not made his acquaintance, but Derufin the stablemaster had. Eodwine was a veteran of the War of the Ring, and had come North for a year and a day, to learn of the peoples of the North, he had said. He had left after one day at the Inn, and those who had made his acquaintance, assumed that he was on his way to meet the folk of the Shire.

One day later, Eodwine's charger had galloped into Bywater, his saddle on his back, but no rider to be seen anywhere. Derufin had taken the horse into stable, and those who worked at the Inn wondered amonst themselves what it could mean. A few days later, a wanderer appeared with the satchel that Eodwine had carried with him, and in it was Eodwine's harp, but damaged. The wanderer, whose name was Falowik, had seen Eodwine's capture, and keeping his wits about him, had stayed hidden until the dozen marauders had taken Eodwine with them. Falowik had taken the harp, and the tale of what he had witnessed, to the Shire. It just so happened that Eodwine had seen Falowik, perhaps by the light of the moon, and though no words had passed between them, by the fierce life in his eyes, Eodwine charged Falowik to give him any aid he could. Falowik and Uien were determined to rescue Eodwine, and were looking for brave and hearty folk who would be willing to go with them.

There was more to the tale also. for Gondorian scouts, and Rangers of the North, had gone missing in alarming numbers over the last few years. It was believed that some powerful Orc, or other dark servant of Sauron, had set up an evil holding in the North. Such was the tale Uien told. She fell silent and waited.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:53 AM   #77
Arveleg
Pile O'Bones

Arveleg has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Paitiently awaiting his ale, he saw an elf enter, and watched the crowd some. He muttered to himself,
' Shire sure has gone downhill since the King rescinded the ban on big folk, but men do like to buy pipeweed...'

After reading the stains on the table for awhile, he was still quite thirsty. He stood up and leaned against his cane and shouted at the missy who he asked for an ale before.

'Are ye gonna serve up an ale anytime soon? and I'll take a jar to go if it ain't much trouble.'

Sarn sat down again in a huff. Ale can't be that great if'n they cant take the time to serve an old Hobbit from the Southfarthing.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:21 PM   #78
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Niniel couldn't find Dynaviir; maybe he was hiding. She walked slowly back into the Inn and sighed when she saw that Soronume seemed to have disappeared as well. The table where the group had been sitting was now occupied by an old hobbit, who she could hear muttering about Big Folk in something of an unfavorable light. She avoided that table, preferring not to approach anyone who disliked her kind. He would be more likely to judge her on her stutter than the others.

She looked around, and caught the tail end of a tale told by a clear elvish voice. Something about an Orc or some other dark servant of Sauron setting up his own empire. It sounded interesting and she slipped over to the table where the tale-teller sat with two others.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:01 AM   #79
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Derufin found himself bone-tired. It had been a very long two days. The Inn roof was repaired, and reshingled. And he with two of the workers at the Inn had finished up clearing the rooms under the eaves where Piosenniel and her family would stay when they arrived. Now it was left to Ruby and Buttercup to fuss over the arrangement of the beds and chests of drawers, desk and chairs and tables that Derufin had manhandled up the stairs and sat in the middle of the clean, empty room.

They shooed him out the door, requesting he make one last trip for two rugs - one to lay in the main room where Mistress Pio and her Mister would sleep, and the other smaller, brighter one for the adjoining alcove where the twins would be.

‘Oh! And once you’re done fetching those rugs, Derufin – be a dear and get the rocker from Cook’s room to set by the cradle.’ Ruby had smiled and pushed him onto the landing, urging him on with her feather-duster.

The rugs were easily gotten, though a bit unwieldy. Rolled inside one another, he finally managed to balance them on his shoulder and trudge up the stairs to the top landing.

Buttercup looked up from her making of the bed as he plopped the long bundle on the floor and stretched his tired muscles. ‘The chair, Derufin! No time for dawdling! They’ll be here in just a few days!’

With a weary sigh he made his way back to the kitchen, and knocked on Cook’s door. ‘I’ve come for the rocker,’ he told her as she looked at him expectantly. ‘Right!’ she said brightening, ‘and while you’re at it, take these baby quilts up for the twins, and these pictures that I found in the cellar to cheer up the place. Cook loaded up the chair seat with the extra 'necessaries' and sent him on his way.

He had just entered the Common Room heading for the stairway when he spied Uien sitting at a table spinning a story that had her listeners enthralled. ‘By the One! Have the horses been seen to?!’ he muttered to himself as he passed near.

Outside, it was already dark . . . had they been fed, and new water given them . . . were they locked safe in their stalls . . .

He grunted at his aching muscles and shifted the weight of the bulky rocker. ‘I’ll see to them when I’ve finished here,’ he sighed, hoping beyond hope that the two Hobbits upstairs had no more ‘errands’ for him . . .
Old 09-22-2003, 10:51 AM   #80
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Uien paused again and patiently waited for a response. The night was drawing in but the air outside remained warm and dry. Those who weren't staying in the inn began to leave and return to their homes and families. Soon, there were very few people left in the bar but Ruby still seemed rushed off her feet.

Nuinyulma looked at Doran and waited for his answer. She desperately wanted to go but without him it was pointless.