The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2002, 09:12 PM   #1
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting "Return to Middle Earth" special on tonight on the WB! 12/4 Wed.

Hope you guys can catch this at 8pm Pacific time (US) tonight, it's called "Return to Middle Earth" and is on the WB channel. The Two Towers premiere is on the E! cable channel tomorrow night too! Hope you can watch! I will be!
Old 12-04-2002, 09:43 PM   #2
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I JUST WATCHED IT! INCREDIBLE IT WAS! I CANNOT WAIT FOR TTT!
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 09:50 PM   #3
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I'm busy with schoolwork, but I taped it. Did they include a trailer for TTT in it?
Old 12-04-2002, 11:14 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

What is with the narrator guy calling the Rohirrim the "Rohans"?<P>Other than that it looked pretty good.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:31 PM   #5
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I'm in SF, so its about 9:25 right now. I just finished watching it and I still can't wait for it to come out. However, I noticed that scenes were added (I'm sure deleted too, but don't know yet). That just p*sses me off. I can see why PJ was afraid of this. I think that Aragorn gets hurt and Arwen comes to help him heal or something??? Why is PJ increasing Arwen's role again??? Fu*k man. PJ said that it was really hard to cut scene's and not even film scenes because they weren't relating to Frodo or the ring. I was sadly dissapointed when the Barrow Downs, the Old Forest, and Tom Bombadil were not included in the fellowship. But what about Arwen's enhanced role. Does it really relate to the ring or Frodo? Maybe it kind of did in the FotR, but with Aragorn's injury or whatever, I don't think that Arwen's coming to help heal him relates to the ring or Frodo. Maybe PJ meant they had to leave out the scenes that didn't relate to the ring only in the FotR? I don't know. And a few minor things I noticed in the preview: they made the wargs look like huge hyena's instead of wolves, they should have had a longer snout, and I think when Merry and Pippin meet Treebeard, his eyes are yellow. Weren't Treebeard's eyes supposed to be dark? I'm not sure. However, I found the clips entertaining. I like Gimli on the horse, "NO, go forward! The other way!" That was funny. LOL. and in the words of Mr. Burns, 'Hi-larious!'<P>Overall, it was a good show, and I can't wait. Only 2 more weeks, for me at least...its 13 days for you guys on the East coast.<P>Oh yeah, that narator was pretty stupid.<p>[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 12:22 AM   #6
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

That was good! I loved the part with Dominic and Billy with the tape! Haha that cracked me up!
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 01:35 AM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>However, I noticed that scenes were added (I'm sure deleted too, but don't know yet). That just p*sses me off. I can see why PJ was afraid of this. I think that Aragorn gets hurt and Arwen comes to help him heal or something??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Whoa!! Hold your horses! You are jumping to conclusions... <I>trust me</I>. Don't judge until you see and then sleep on it like me and realize that you loved it anyway. Don't overthink what you see for a moment, cause it may be deceiving.<P>Can I hang out with Billy and Dom? Honestly... it looks like a blast.<P>Overall, the show was good. Nice behind the scenes stuff. I envy the actor's because of what they got to experience. It's what actors can only dream of having some day. I know I do. <BR>PS - I have a feeling this may be closed soon because it is movie related (or moved there when it re-opens).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 09:46 PM   #8
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think that Aragorn gets hurt and Arwen comes to help him heal or something???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They said that it was dream. Aragorn said: "This is a dream" Arwen: "Then it is a good dream."<P>Conclusion: it was a dream.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:52 PM   #9
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Correct, Diamond18.<P>See, nothing to worry about
Old 12-09-2002, 07:14 PM   #10
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <BR>But at the moment the hobbits noticed little but the eyes.... They were brown, shot with a green light.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I noticed the narrator mispronounced several things (like 'Legolas'!) and he certainly should have said Rohirrim!
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 07:21 PM   #11
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I loved the preview. And Billy and Dom were hilarious!!!!!! But one thing I don't get...<P>They showed a scene where Viggo gets hurt by flowing down a river doing a scene for the movie. But when was Aragorn ever floating down a river unconcious in the books?? I don't remember that part. Could someone please inform...
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:25 PM   #12
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Easy to answer...<BR>Aragorn wasn't ever flowing down a river unconscious in the books. Be prepared for some different things... it's not like we weren't expecting it.<BR>Just don't jump the gun because it fits the flow of the movie well. My favorite phrase, over and over again, is that the movies are <I>based on</I> the books. You can't expect them to be action for action or word for word.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:11 PM   #13
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved it! LoL, Tigerlily, if you get to go hang out with Billy and Dom, take me with you! I loved that part with the tape. ("He didn't ask me--he just slapped it on!" And in that accent...I swear that someday I'm going to live in the UK.)<P>Heh, I was irritated by the "Rohans" too. What the heck? I mean, I imagine that it's not easy to make anything for TV, they could've put a teeny bit more effort into it and <I>gotten the names right!</I> Oh well. I'm much more pleased with Miranda Otto than I had first anticipated. (I saw a rather bizarre picture of her and thought, "Oh shoot, they got Scully to play Eowyn!" Like I said, a weird shot.) And Gollum looks awesome...still sounds a bit like Donald Duck, but what's Gollum supposed to sound like? I never really had a firm idea. The Ents disappointed me a little bit ("Ack! <I>Wizard of Oz</I> flashbacks!" to paraphrase the BBE's), but I'm not going to draw any conclusions until I see the movie. The shots were very brief. And I think that I can forgive the CGI for John Rhys-Davies' sake...his voice is perfect for Treebeard. Exactly like it ought to sound.<P>Nine days and counting...::excited squeal::<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-10-2002, 12:32 AM   #14
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I wasn't saying that I wouldn't like the movie, Tigerlily. I know I will. But this reply of mine is dedicated to the actor playing gollum, who as tehy said in the special, spent all this time and effort acting out gollum, but never got his face in the movies. And who had to shoot four takes, I think, in ice cold frozen water. I never realized how much that actor went through and really never realized how much PJ puts the actors through just to get the scene that good.

-Willie
Old 12-10-2002, 02:48 PM   #15
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Yes, Tigelily. I know there will be some changes. And I am fully prepared for them. I was just wondering if that part was in the book and I just forgot about it. But thanx for the info.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 04:17 PM   #16
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I didn't get to see it. <BR>I was waiting so long to see it then an few hours before it started my parents informed me that we don't have any WB channels. <P>It's sounds like it was wonderfull though.<P>Would any of you mind describing the special in more detail for me. Especialy that part you mentioned with Dom and Billy.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:25 PM   #17
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

I know you weren't saying that... MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie... I think it's just that the media somtimes leads people to jump to conclusions. I wish it didn't do that because it forces people to judge things before they actually see it. I guess that's what they are supposed to do, though, because it gives people something else to go see the movie for. I wasn't attacking you... I was just stating what I have seen (because I have seen the movie) and I know that what was changed isn't that bad (though it will open many discussions here, you can count on that).<BR>And, yes, Andy Serkis is quite a dedicated actor. I really can't believe that shot that 4 times! He's lucky he didn't get hypothermia or something. It's really nice that they chose to use an actor for Gollum... I don't think his performance could've competed with Frodo and Sam if he hadn't been.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:14 AM   #18
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Question

Rose, how can you not get the WB channel? It's not cable, it's regular network TV.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:26 PM   #19
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I know. It's just something that Direct TV doesn't have. I don't understand it either. <P>So what happened in the special?!
Old 12-11-2002, 11:50 PM   #20
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

I have direct tv also. You can't watch channels like WB, FOX, UPN, NBC, etc. through Direct tv, but you can go around that. Just turn off your direct tv and go to channel 2 or whatever on your tv. Or if you use a video input, turn off video. I hope that helps, and if it does, hopefully you won't miss anything on the regular channels again.

-Willie
Old 12-12-2002, 12:05 AM   #21
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Basically it went through how certain scenes were made. It showed new and old stuff I think. And the actors talked about it too. It gave some brief info on making the Helm's Deep battle. It showed Treebeard I think. The narrotor was a complete jackass, he mispronounced words, sounded like he didn't know what he was even talking about, and he even made up words (he called the Rohirrim Rohans). It said that the river and its bank were frozen overnight when they had to shoot a scene with gollum jumping into the river. In the book, the time was summer and it was warm but in New Zealand, it was winter. So PJ made the crew melt the river and snow on the bank for a few hours. Then the scene was shot and the actor playing gollum had to dive in the freezing water and pretend to catch a fish. Now if that was not bad enough for him, PJ had to shoot it 4 times I think (you know how PJ is about filming). It also showed parts of added scenes to the plot. Aragorn is dreaming? I don't know...ask Tigerlily. Viggo almost died while he was filming a scene where he flowed down the river. The current was stronger than expected and he got sucked under a rock but managed to get out (thank God). And finally at the end, they showed a short scene of TTT, where a group of Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas, along with some Rohirrim take on some orcs riding wargs. That was tight. Sorry I never explained it to you earlier, I just naturally thought someone else would do it, I think everyone tought the same. Hope this helps. Its been a while so I can't remember.

-Willie
Old 12-12-2002, 06:01 AM   #22
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Some of you mentioned a part with Billy and Dom and...a tape? What was that about?
Old 12-12-2002, 02:30 PM   #23
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

I didn't catch all of what Billy was saying because of that accent, but my dad seemed to have no problem...so apparently, there was some trouble with the microphone Billy was wearing...so they put a big piece of tape on his chest for it rest against. Billy and Dom decided that they needed to rip it off, so Dom counted to three and then he ripped it off and Billy looked like he was in a lot of pain (and there were quite a few beeps). And then Dom held the tape up to the camera to get a shot of all Billy's chest hair on it.<P>It's funnier when you actually see it. I retell jokes horribly...
Old 12-12-2002, 09:29 PM   #24
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay, I think that this is what it was.<P>Billy and Dom are playing pool, and (as the narrator says) they can get rather...competative. Dom says that Billy's chest hair against his mic is bothering him, so he slaps some tape on it to stop the noise. Billy is (or pretends to be) rather horrified. He says, "...He just slapped this piece of tape on my chest! He didn't ask me--he just slapped it on!" Fighting off a grin and trying to sound apologetic, Dom offers to rip it off. Billy emphatically refuses. Later, Dom informs us that Billy has given him permission to rip it off on three...two...one! *beep beep!* With a look of tightly controlled pain on his face, Billy smiles bravely as Dom holds up the piece of tape to the camera.<P>It was very funny. Like Diamond, I'm not the best at retelling jokes.<P>~*~Orual~*~