The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
First ever posts!

I would be really interested if any of the older or relatively new members could show us their First Ever posts! If you can find it, post it here...
Mine, coincidentally, was :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yours Truly
Hi everyone it's me the Sixth Wizard!

A.K.A The BIGGEST TOLKEIN FAN EVA!!!!!!!!!!

. . .And no I am not joking. This was me, inexperienced in the internet and possibly life, first time on a Tolkien forum.

Wouldn't it be cool if for example Saucepan Man, who has the greatest number of posts on the 'Downs, would show us the FIRST EVA. ( )

I'm sure they'll be hard to find, seeing as the "find more posts" option only goes back 500...
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Awwww, what a cutie thread! :D

Here's mine. I actually started a new thread with that name. This is the first post:
Quote:
The Umli? Did/ do they exist?
I´ve been thinking this for long time. Umli, those half-dwarves, living in cold areas, do they exist in Tolkien´s books? They are one of the playable races in M.E.R.P. (Middle-Earth roleplaying), but I haven´t found any mention about them in Tolkien´s books (LotR, Silmarillion, Hobbit, Unfinished Tales). So I ask you, who I suppose to know this, is there any mention about umlis in any other souce, eg. The Adventures of Tom Bombadil? I think the idea of some half-dwarf folk sounds strange but it also sounds strange that the makers of the roleplaying game would have put races of their own to the book (I think it was made in co-operation with someone owning the rights of Middle-Earth...?).
And you may ask that why did I put this here, not to the roleplaying board. The answer is simple: I suppose you, who visit here know more...
It's quite amusing with using ´ instead of ' and various mistakes I wouldn't make today and me having no knowledge how the forum works... *remembers fondly the newbie times*
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up Wow! What an interesting idea!

Personally I'm very curious on how some of you started here (though, I could probably find out myself, but this way it's much better).

Six: Now, Six! Judging from this post, it should've been you playing the young fanboy/Tolkien geek in the last WW...
Lommy: Wow, what an... (seeks a good word) unexpected start from you... (at least from my point - I wonder now, this is for the second time I see you speaking of MERP in the last day - and never seen you speaking about that before - I never knew you had anything to do with it..?)

Well, to my first post - many of you will probably still remember it, but I'll post it here... (I pondered for a moment if I should post it or just link, since it's quite long, but then I said to myself that if I sent just a link, it might cause it to be skipped by potentional reader, so here it is.) Like Lommy, I started a thread in the Books with it (and in contrary to Lommy's, the matter was not completely solved yet!):

Quote:
About Saruman and the Shire
Hi there, I just have one question which I'd like to get answered. I don't seem to figure the answer out by myself, so I'd be happy if you offer any assistence The topic is: When actually did Saruman start to care for the Shire? And, (continuingly) when did he start to smoke?

The thing is (to what I have come so far, up to now), according to Appendix B in LotR, Saruman started to watch the Shire regularly from 2953 TA on (the last White Council meeting). He appointed spies there and so on. This corresponds with the second text in Unfinished Tales (About Gandalf, Saruman and the Shire) where it is said that he started to visit (or appoint others to visit) the Shire "before the shadow of uncertainity fell on that land and it was scarcely guarded..." (which would start around 3000, when the Shire was more guarded by the Rangers).
But nowhere it's said he couldn't have started to care of the Shire earlier in 2953, let's say, for example once or twice visited it in secret (as he did later, before he appointed spies) - perhaps to check out "what does that Gandalf see on that no-mans-land?" or to buy some of the Ol'Tobby In the text about Gandalf, Saruman and the Shire (UT) there is that story of Saruman seeing Gandalf smoke - and talking about it - on the 2851 White Council meeting. But in Appendix B there is no word (and it seems very unlikely) that Saruman started to act in the Shire right after. But...

...the thing is, the first text from "About Gandalf, Saruman and the Shire" seems (at least to me) not to be narrative, but explaining: there is not distinct chronology in the text. But there are parts which confuse me:

"...when Saruman noticed Gandalf's love for the pipe weed (...) he tried it himself and soon he started to use it..." (sorry I'm translating back to English, I don't have the original) It seems to me, that Saruman first tested it some shord period after he saw Gandalf - which would be in 2850, right? (or short after) What do you think then? Did it take until 100 years later that he started to operate in the Shire, or perhaps until then he visited the Shire by himself once or twice, and obtained something to smoke? But if he did, wouldn't he smoke it regularly, and so start to require regular supplies? (according to UT: "...for this, the Shire continued to be important for him..." Again, sorry for the quotations, they are attempts to translate back to English since I don't have them in original, so maybe I even misinterpretated something because of translation )

But anyway, anyone any opinions about that? Any suggestions welcome.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 05-22-2007 at 04:40 AM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Legate - well, I must say that my reason to join this place was to get to ask that question (and possibly get to ask some other questions in future). Oh, and I've played MERP for ages (since I was nine or ten I guess - blame Noggie)...
Old 05-22-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixer
I'm sure they'll be hard to find, seeing as the "find more posts" option only goes back 500...
Well, the variables on the Advanced Search function (searching by forum, date etc) do allow some leeway, but I still can't see my first posts on, for example, Books, Movies or Mirth because there are so many, even searching only those a year back or earlier.

However, as far as I can I recall, this was my first post ever. on WHo in the fellowship would have tried to take the ring next?.

I followed this up shortly with my first thread - Gwaihir to the rescue .. again?. A shamefully common question for a newbie, and to my even greater embarrassment, I was quickly directed (by Sharkű) to the Search function, as there were already umpteen threads on the point.

And, here is my first post on the Introduction thread.

Wow! Was that really 4˝ years ago ...?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:53 AM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up Oh, sweet nostalgia

A very good idea to add those introduction posts.

Here's mine.
Awwww, that's so funny and cute... *remembers 14-year old self*
Wait... That was only three years ago?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:15 AM   #7
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Great thread idea, Sixth!

Oh, OK, my first ever post then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Rikae
Hello! This looks like a fun place to spend one's afterlife...

I've been a Tolkien fan since I read the Hobbit (20 years ago) and LOTR (19 years ago). Reread many times since, and no other book has taken their place in my heart. The PJ movies were the only movies I went to the trouble to watch in the theatre since my kids were born. Though the movies weren't perfect (I think I'm too much of a Tolkien fan to ever be fully satisfied with a film version), they are definitely up there among my favorite movies of all time. (Besides, there are two actors I like very much in them...and you'll never guess who!)
About me...I'm a divorced (well, not officially yet) mom of 3 girls and am back in college now, finishing up my Bachelor's: major in Studio Art & minor Media and Society, then it's on to grad school. My hobbies etc. are art (of course), gardening, reading & movies (I'm a sucker for fantasy & sci-fi, and a MP fan), backpacking, and spending way too much time on the internet.
Rune was the first to greet me, and there then followed some discussion about what MP was (Monty Python, in this case). The actors were Brad Dourif and Andy Serkis, btw, the latter of whom I met in March.

My goodness, a lot has changed in nine months...my major, for starters...

Now I'm curious...off to find somebody else's first post ever...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
...and I found it. Thank you for the chocolate, my dear.

(I'll let him post it if he wishes. It's actually a great post...)
Old 05-22-2007, 06:38 AM   #9
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Got it. Happy memories...Bethberry's thread on The Trickster's Consort

And my post... Here
Old 05-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Memory lane indeed! I think my first ever post was this one: my personal fellowship of movie goers on a thread called 'Anyone else have a sister as stupid as this?'. I must confess, it's a thread over which my moderator's hand of doom has hovered a number of times, but I save it "for historical interest"!

BTW, finding that thread was a real archaeological feat - I did resort to Saucy's trick with the individual forum searches. It's easier to locate the threads I've started; not even I have managed to create over 500 new ones, and the first one I started is rather appropriately entitled 'the first time'.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 05-22-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Wow...

...and again, wow. I don't think this is my first post ever, but it's from my first day as a 'Downer.

I don't even know what I'm talking about.

Also, here is my first introductory-type post.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #12
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nice idea, The Sixth Wizard, as now that you mention it, I too am interested in some of the heavy-hitters' first posts. Were they always thus, or did they too grow in their manner of posting?

My first post, read here, was nothing groundbreaking. In retrospect, and to rewrite history a little, alatar's first post was that newbie's attempt to sneak in where he'd never ventured before, namely an internet forum. It would take a few posts for him to unleash his real venom - and show his real reason for joining - which was to carp about Peter Jackson's mishandling of Gandalf in RotK:EE. Luckily for all, said carpiness and sniveling was an attitude reserved only for that one scene from that one movie, and so never appeared in any of the milk and honey posts about all other topics.

Odd, looking back at the first few posts...clearly that's not me. Did I actually write like that, and think that way? Must have been the other me... And I do remember, or at least think that I remember, or saw a really good TV show with the same information that I've subconsciously included into my life in lieu of more mundane events, that I was a bit disconcerted that no one "answered" my first few. I felt like I was invisible and talking to myself, which is at least one thing that's consistent over these years as, while I type, I'm having this conversation in my head.

But then I got answered, and I was like, "Oh my gosh!" I went from invisible to scorned. Ouch. Luckily, with advice (received and inferred) I learned to love this Big Barrow.

I could describe what it felt like when I took my first hit of rep, and when I first got repdrunk, but think that that's a thread asking to be closed.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

If you are laughing at my apparent noobiness ( ) remember I was only thirteen when that was posted, I had not read LOTR for a year and didn't know anything about the Silmarillion. AND it was my first time on an internet forum. I then proceeded to get the Sil and take a bit of time off to get out of the whole Runescape-talk rut.

But STILL... Jeez...
Old 05-22-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I can't even remember where I first posted. It was somewhere in the Quiz forum I believe. I didn't actually find the Introduce Yourself thread until nearly two months after I joined and when I did post on there it was just to welcome a friend!

I strongly suspect that my first post probably consisted of me asking for a letter in Palantir of Fortune ... not the most attention-getting of starts!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:55 AM   #15
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My first post was on Anguirel's Il Principe-thread (here 's my post). The first to greet me was also the first to rep me, which was very nice of that person.
I think the thread would also deserve a little revival. *hints*

I introduced myself some days later here (just a few posts before Sixth's introduction).

My first thread was at the same time also my first encounter with the whips of the knowledgable members.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #16
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I take it the thread was deleted?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #17
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
I take it the thread was deleted?
Nope, Mac mistyped it - he wrote twice http there in the link. The thread is here. Quite interesting, I might add.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 AM   #18
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Nope, Mac mistyped it - he wrote twice http there in the link. The thread is here.
My hero!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #19
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I see it now! Thank you Legate.

My goodness, I've never seen that side of Anguirel before... The discussion of the "historical accuracy" of the Silm and whether to dismiss a passage from it more or less readily than "bleak factual marginalia" was quite interesting; ah, yeah, there's probably already a thread where it's been all hashed to death years ago, though.

Macalaure, you shouldn't act so sheepish, dear. Sheepish deer? It looks like you won the argument, after all, at least by default...a year and no one's responded to your last point!

Last edited by Rikae; 05-23-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:14 AM   #20
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Hmmm... Ang, are you implying that was your first post ever here? Have you forgotten about this one in the Lalwende & davem wish to announce their engagement -thread?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #21
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Alrighty, my first post was on the All About You thread. I wrote it June 9, 2002, three days after I joined:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Very Young Me
Name:Erin
Future Aspirations:journalist, writer, photographer, archeologist............
Goal in life:to live a long and happy life
Short term goals:do well in high school and college
Passion:music and dance and art
Hobbies:writing, drawing, dancing(jazz, ballet, lyrical, and hip hop), photography, playing the violin, reading
Famous for: dancing and being in the journalism staff at school
Fave book:Lord of the Rings, Speak, Lurlene McDaniel books
Fave movie:Fellowship of the Ring, Rat Race, Meet the Parents, the Mummy Returns
Fave sport:dance(some may not consider it a sport, but I do)
Fave store:Bath and Body Works, Barnes and Noble
Fave music:Top 40 and some kinds of rock
What I can't stand:People who think they're all that, people who won't get off your back, spiders, and nails screeching on chalkboard
What I dislike:math, science, homework in general
Who I admire:My parents-they work so hard to let me do the things I like
What I would most love to do:see the world
What scares me:spiders, really big bugs, not doing well in school
Quotation:none
Comments:I live in the state of Idaho with my 17 year old sister and my parents. I first became interested in LOTR when the movie came out and read the book and the Hobbit in 10 days. I recently discovered this awesome site and come here almost every day. I hope to get to know more fans of Tolkien on this forum.
Ithaeliel-
We seem a lot alike, don't you think? I guess that's why we're friends!
Oh boy, how have I changed since then... Btw, for anyone who doesn't know, Ithaeliel was the one who recommended me to the BD, which is why I mentioned her.

My first post was followed by this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me again
I almost forgot!
Flaws:I'm shy around people I don't know well, but when I'm with friends and family, I talk way too much and don't let anyone squeeze a word in. As you see, I do that when I write too.
Apparently, the newbie me did not yet know how to edit posts.

I also made two more posts that day elsewhere:

What's A Vanyar?
Left-handed

Pretty simple and boring. If I made more posts that first day, I can't find them.

I never made an actual introductory post, and it appears that is because the introductory thread didn't even come into existence until six months after I joined.

I feel so old (BD-wise, that is). I guess that's what happens when you've been decaying for almost five years...
Old 05-26-2007, 08:13 AM   #22
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I have no hopes of finding my first ever post, but I do have my first ever thread (which was one of my first posts). It was anything but what I had hoped. After writing up some ideas on Gothmog (a character who ever since the movies I have been obsessed with ), SpM and SoN both point me to the search engine. And Squatter calls the thread redundant (which was true )and points me to the FAQ. Needless to say I was scarred for life and didn't create another thread for a very long time.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #23
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Good catch Lommy, I was indeed mistaken...
Old 05-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #24
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
*cough*

Umm...yeah.

That's at least one of my first. I do not remember posting that, or really posting much of anything more than a couple years old, as a matter of fact. Poor long term memory, possibly by choice.

If you want a really good laugh, or have some bizarre desire to make yourself feel ill, read my first RP post.

It's been a long 4 years and 7 months, about...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #25
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

Mine first RP post in an actual game... here. Cliché'd in the extremities! "Ah, an Inn ahead." Oh man.

Last edited by The Sixth Wizard; 05-26-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #26
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm a bit embarassed by my early posts. But here is the first post and first thread every started by mormegil...dang I still wish I would have capitalized my name back then.

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11862
Old 05-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #27
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Thumbs up Whatever you do, at some point you'll feel embarrassed.

First eva

Introduction

First thread

First RPG post

First Books post

Pretty embarrassing, huh? I'm only relieved by the thought that I'll probably make lots of even more embarrassing things in the future.

I still think my first thread is a good idea though.

And the RPG post is edited by the way, originally it looked much worse.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #28
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh yes...first RPGs. I'm rather embarrassed about it as my first RPG character was quite ridiculous; she had magic powers and everything (heh).

But just remember I was only 14 at the time, and if I recall correctly the Freestyle forum that existed way back then had very little rules, so my first RPG turned out to be...mmm...interesting. I still had fun with it, but it's not exactly what you'd call Tolkien...

Here we go:

First RPG Character

First RPG Post

Rather short, don't you think? Especially considering that more recently I've written posts up to four pages long on Word...
Old 06-01-2007, 04:15 AM   #29
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

Would anyone else wish to shed their 3,000+ post skin and get back to basics?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #30
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Oh my... this is nostalgiac.

I don't know if it was my first post, but it was my first thread. I was fifteen, unless my basic math skills took a turn for the worse.

My intro post. You were all so nice to me...
It's hard to find these posts, it's been so long.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:21 AM   #31
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
Alrighty, my first post was on the All About You thread. I wrote it June 9, 2002, three days after I joined:

Oh boy, how have I changed since then... Btw, for anyone who doesn't know, Ithaeliel was the one who recommended me to the BD, which is why I mentioned her.

My first post was followed by this:

Apparently, the newbie me did not yet know how to edit posts.

I also made two more posts that day elsewhere:

What's A Vanyar?
Left-handed

Pretty simple and boring. If I made more posts that first day, I can't find them.

I never made an actual introductory post, and it appears that is because the introductory thread didn't even come into existence until six months after I joined.

I feel so old (BD-wise, that is). I guess that's what happens when you've been decaying for almost five years...
I remember that post! In fact it was on the discussion thread to that RPG that I posted my first (and possibly most cringeworthy) words here at the Downs. Cringe-ho!

Quote:
Hello you lot. I am fasinated by your idea for a good RPG, the others seems very thin and titter out too easily. I would like to add my charchter if I could and then if you don't mind I could add the 1st part of the RPG, if that is okay with you..? Anyways get back to me on that, here is my character-

NAME: Mattius

RACE: Elf buts acts as a Man (see below)

APPEARNCE: Short spikey blonde hair with icy blue eyes. Six foot tall clad in black and dark green. His long sword is 'Angamarth'- Iron Doom in Elvish (his fathers sword, given to him by the Elves of Lorien). He also carries many knives and a medium length bow. Attached to his belt and hidden under his cloak is his adaopted father's great Black Mace.

BIOGRAPHY: Mattius was born in the woods of Lothlorien ten years before the War of the Ring. On his first birthday his parents (names unknown) travelled to Rivendell bearing important news for Elrond from the Lady of the Wood. The two of them decided to take young Mattius along with them to show him to the Elves of Rivendell and in particular Elrond. Upon passing the Misty Mountains they were attacked by a creature of great stregth and darkness. Mattius' mother was killed and although his father battled gallantly he was also slain by the beast. Baby Mattius, however, fell down the mountainside and against all odds survived to be found by a young married couple travelling from Bree to Minas Tirith. Selsfihly they took Mattius with them and brought him up as their own (although seemingly selfish they could bear no child of their own and they took it as fate that this child had been put in their path). Indeed, it was them that named him Mattius. They both saw he was an elf but decided to raise him as a man of Gondor and reveal to him the truth on his 18th birthday. Unfortuantly his adopted parents did not live to see this as, when Mattius was only ten, Sauron unleashed his armies from Mordor upon Minas Tirith. Only ten was Mattius yet he marched to war with his father and his mother, such was the need at the time. Both of his parents were killed in the war yet some elves saw the Elven child in the battlefield and after the war was over they took Mattius to Lorien to discover from Galadreil that he was an elf and his true parents had been killed nine years ago. Up untill his 18th birthday Mattius was ordered to remain in Lorien, never knowing his true elvish name as he never wanted to know it. The elves taught him all he wished to know and on his 18th birthday the elves gave him leave of Lorien and allowed him to live his life as he would. He decided to find out whom killed his true parents and now searches ME in hope of acting out revenge on behalf of his Elvish parents.
I loved that Freestyle RPG Section, we could write completly bonkers stuff!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #32
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dűm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

*Shows back up after being away for far too long...*

A long, long time ago (2001?!), I made this quite unimpressive, though not horribly embarrassing first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Azaelia
I think that Merry and Pippin are good. Foolish, yes, but generally good. I'd even go so far as to say that Pippin is my favorite character. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
It was in some thread about Merry and Pippin being good or bad.

In fact, I am not sure I ever formally introduced myself to the Downs.

Now I kind of wish I had made some kind of horribly embarrassing, typical 14-year-old girl sort of statement, so that I could laugh about it now. :P
Old 06-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #33
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye long, long ago in a galaxy far away...

Here's my first,

Hello and where's Mount Gram?

I guess unduly precocious as I started on a new post and new thread at the same time. I only got 3 replies though. Is this a record and if so do I win a prize?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #34
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthr...2034#post52034

A'right then. I had quite an odd and slow start. I think I'm going to back and find some more interesting first posts I may have had.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:01 AM   #35
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Oh dear. I looked like a strange little newbie when I joined the forum, but there is actually a story to my first post: [x]

I've been a member of the barrowdowns chat room (hosted by an IRC/Java server called sorcery, for those who don't know) since the summer of 2001 and in some brief moment of high-speed insanity a number of the chat go-ers started rattling off the first few lines of the (albeit huge) post.

Being gullible, I offered to write the entire thing down in the same fashion (I mean, it didn't take any time hardly to read! It had to be short, right? )
Old 07-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #36
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
1420!

Here is my first post ever. . . not really that embaracing http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...postcount=1748

My second post on the other hand is a bit desturbing. . . .I don't know if I am trying to show of or what is happening.

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...postcount=1750

Anyways if it had not been for Gil's quick reply I would probably not be here today as this was the first forum I ever joined and I had no idea how they worked. (and the only one I have stayed with for over a year.)

I had forgotten the Boro, Encai and Glirdan welcomed me as well. . . .people was alot better at greeting new members back then.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #37
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?p=21440

Wow, look at that decrepit thing!

(beaten by Estelyn by mere days...humph )