The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Sean Bean Nation

Title inspired by the local warcry of Blades - they sing Sean Bean Nation to the tune of Zombie Nation.

This is just to say that if any fangirls (or boys) are in the vicinity of Westminster today you might be able to meet our hero:

Sean Bean Leads Football Protest

Old 06-13-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
As much as I would love United to stay in the Premiership I don't think even Sean Bean can pull this one off

"Not with ten thousand men could you do this, it is folly."

Nice to see he cares such much about his team though.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattius
As much as I would love United to stay in the Premiership I don't think even Sean Bean can pull this one off

Nice to see he cares such much about his team though.
Maybe he needs the Ring in order to pull it off
Old 06-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Funny you said that because when you first mentioned him kicking up a fuss about it I could just imagine him in his full Boromir outfit leading a load of Blades fans and shouting "For Sheff United! For Sheff United! For Sheff United!!"
Old 06-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattius

Good one.

I love Sean Bean, but I think there are things in this world more important for him to rally over. All due respect...as he did portray my favorite character!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:26 AM   #6
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

I can't stop picturing the Seven Hills of Sheffield as Gondor, a city in turmoil, half of which is united behind Sean/Boromir against the threat of the evil West Ham, AKA Mordor.

Though I will not be happy if they turn Bramall Lane into the Pelennor Fields as there are enough chavs around to deal with without having ruddy oversized war elephants and ugly Orcs all over the shop.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #7
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dūm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

As a neutral American (it still mystifies me how Man United continuously loses to West Ham, regardless of ranking), I find this whole argument to be hilarious: two of my best friends are West Ham fans because Elijah Wood was in Green Street Hooligans.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385002/

My firm opinion? Since Frodo has already run off to do a film about his favorite football team, perhaps Boromir should do the same. Regardless of artistic licence... though Boromir standing atop the battlements of Osgiliath dressed in the Sheffield colours is an entertaining thought.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
This is just to say that if any fangirls (or boys)~Lal
Is that a reference to me?

Honestly though, I have (surprise) nothing but praise to say of Sean Bean's efforts here. He's always been a passionate and devoted Sheffield fan, I can't imagine anyone else leading the charge in this fight than Tolkien's very own Boromir.

What's funny is when I read this I mean he even says things that I imagine Boromir saying:
Quote:
"My message to MPs would be to thank them for the support we've had - I think we've had 40-plus MPs getting behind us and they've shown sympathy for our cause."
Reminds me of Boromir at the Council championing support for Gondor:
Quote:
"For though I do not ask for aid, we need it. It would comfort us to know that others fought also with all the means that they have."
Old 07-01-2007, 05:05 AM   #9
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Meh. It could be....

I think he's quite unique in a way in that he has an equally devoted male and female following - he has that rugged charm but is definitely not a 'pretty boy', plus he chose his roles well I think, particularly with Sharpe. Now I'm not a follower of the Blades (nor indeed of that other, more waterlogged Sheffield team, but of 'a team what Rune does not like' ) but he is devoted and loyal and always goes in the local pubs before matches, and always makes the effort to get to these.

I heard many a person say that Jackson should have altered the plot of the story just to keep Sean Bean as Boromir in the films more! And interestingly, he did feature him in flashback quite a bit more than he needed to!
Old 07-01-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Quote:
My firm opinion? Since Frodo has already run off to do a film about his favorite football team, perhaps Boromir should do the same. Regardless of artistic licence... though Boromir standing atop the battlements of Osgiliath dressed in the Sheffield colours is an entertaining thought.
Check it out! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114917/
Old 07-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dūm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

My response to Mattius: *facepalm* Thank you.
I've heard of that movie, too: just didn't know it was about Sheffield.

Anyway, in terms of Sean Bean rallying forces behind Sheffield vs. Boromir rallying forces behind Gondor... where does Aragorn stand in? When Sean Bean goes down to the Green Street Elite, will someone (Viggo Mortenson? impossible) ease his last moments with the reassurance that the Blades are doing fine, that they'll stay in the league...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
I think he's quite unique in a way in that he has an equally devoted male and female following...
Agreed. When I went to see The Hitcher, there were several middle-aged ladies (no children, no husbands) in the audience. Now, maybe it's just me, but I can't see any reason for them to have gone to that particular movie, other than Sean Bean's presence. If there are any of those ladies around, correct me if I'm wrong...

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

As awesome as I think it is that Sean Bean is coming out to defend the Blades and everything and as much as I enjoyed seeing you guys in the premiership last season. (The first day draw against the scousers comes to mind) I honestly think you should let it slip. You got relegated, the table doesn't lie. I'm confident you guys'll be back up for the 2008-09 season with a much stronger squad.

I've never liked West Ham but they played some wonderful football and (somehow) did the double over us but yeah, that's a wonderful reason to dislike them.

On another note, Boromir playing up front for Sheffield United would so rule!
Just so long as the Red Devils get Aragorn.... and Glorfindel...
Old 07-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #13
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
When I went to see The Hitcher, there were several middle-aged ladies (no children, no husbands) in the audience. Now, maybe it's just me, but I can't see any reason for them to have gone to that particular movie, other than Sean Bean's presence. If there are any of those ladies around, correct me if I'm wrong...
Ahem...I believe I might have been one of those ladies...and you are correct in my case; The Hitcher isn't my usual fare.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Sadly I think Boromir, errr, Sean needed a Ring of Power as his bid has failed and his beloved Blades stay where they are in the second league of football! What has this city done??? The Blades go down together with all that lost revenue, our million pound super-nightclub Gatecrasher burns to the ground and then we get flooded out in a freak storm!
Old 07-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #15
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
Sadly I think Boromir, errr, Sean needed a Ring of Power as his bid has failed and his beloved Blades stay where they are in the second league of football! What has this city done??? The Blades go down together with all that lost revenue, our million pound super-nightclub Gatecrasher burns to the ground and then we get flooded out in a freak storm!
Is that a swarm of locust on the horizon?

Oh yes and now Sheffield United have launched an appeal in the High Court. They should just let it be...
Old 07-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #16
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

Couldn't agree anymore. Just let it drop. West Ham were already fined an awful lot. All this is just making Sheffield United look liked sore losers, and hey, I actually liked them over the season and honestly thought they'd avoid the drop but what can you do.

Btw, Middle-Earth Football World Cup is back again!
Old 07-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #17
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Can't believe I'm getting into a footie discussion but I started it...but a low league side, Burscough FC (Hookbill will know them) this season fielded an illegal player for just one game and not only got a fine but lost points so there was precedent - and Mr Sean Bean and his fellow Blades were quite right to feel aggrieved.

Of course, should any of you fellow Beanites (Beanies? Beanie Babes? ) want to catch an eyeful of the man himself it should mean that a match ticket will be cheaper next time around...and I can direct you to his favourite drinking holes. He's a real 'man of the people', just like his portrayal of Boromir comes across in the films! But then I don't think a stuck up Tyke would go down too well
Old 07-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #18
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Burscough FC? I thought Bury were fined for fielding an illegal player. Something to do with the number of players you can have on the field who are on loan I believe. Wait... are Bury Burscough? Now I'm confused.

Ooo! And now everyone go check out Middle-Earth Football World Cup since it seems we do have a fair number of football fans here. Then go take part in the ME Fantasy Football tournament as well.

Oh and by the way, does anyone here play Fantasy EPL? The 'Downs had a league last year though we just had 4 members. Perhaps we could make a bigger one this year if people are up for it.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:32 PM   #19
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lord no! Burscough are from a little village. Bury may have had that too though for all I know
Old 07-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #20
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
Lord no! Burscough are from a little village. Bury may have had that too though for all I know
Yes, I'm pretty certain Bury did it. In the Johnstones Trophy or Carling Cup I think. I didn't realize we had so many football fans here. Especially so many who follow English football.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:18 AM   #21
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
As an 'occasional' football fan (the 'occasion' is usually World Cup tournament or something similar) I can sympathize with the desire to discuss the most important sport in the world here. However, as a moderator I must remind you that your post should be Tolkien-related, or it is off-topic. Thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:07 AM   #22
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

I guess that was inevitable with a thread topic like this I shall now get back to some more Beanworship...do you know how many Boromir action figures I have??

Never was a smilie more apt...
Old 07-09-2007, 07:46 AM   #23
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Sean Bean to receive honorary degree. Yes, he is to receive the honour of Doctor of Letters - LittD - at the University of Sheffield on 20th July!

However, he is yet to have an asteroid named after him, as I recently discovered was an honour bestowed on Tolkien in 1982 - one 2675 Tolkien...
Old 01-26-2008, 05:19 AM   #24
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

White Tree

Sean Bean buys house near Lalwende and davem

Yes, it's been some time since I posted any Bean news but here's some:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/diary/Sean-...eld.3697894.jp

That's about ten minutes' drive from my house.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Are you going to be one of those fans then that walks up to the garden and peers through the window.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/diary/Sean-...eld.3697894.jp

Is it in the bag? We got very excited when Johnny Depp was meant to be buying a house down the road from my aunt (well you would wouldn't you?)..and we blame her for the fact it never happened since she "may have told one or two people .." when negotiations were at a critical stage....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:40 AM   #27
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Are you going to be one of those fans then that walks up to the garden and peers through the window.
People do that to our house and we're not even famous - but then the front garden is only four feet deep I wonder if he'll opt for some very manly net curtains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Is it in the bag? We got very excited when Johnny Depp was meant to be buying a house down the road from my aunt (well you would wouldn't you?)..and we blame her for the fact it never happened since she "may have told one or two people .." when negotiations were at a critical stage....
Apparently so, this all happened at the end of last year!

Did you cross your aunt off your Christmas card list after that?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #28
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
No.. she is lovely.. and she did get a Christmas card but I have to admit that her present is still on the chest in the hall ..which is dreadful considering she lives only 7 miles away but we have taken turns being ill and I work the other way....

Anyway we are still hoping he will find somewhere round here...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote