The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2003, 04:57 PM   #1
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Hobbit TV Series

I have just heard a rumour and I was wondering if any one else has heard anything of it.<P>Apparently Ian McKellen has approached Peter Jackson about beginning a TV series of The Hobbit, staring McKellen as Gandalf. It is thought that Jackson would favour a television series as he could fit in all the details of the book?<P>Anyone else heard anything of this?<P>P.S. I know there is another thread about a fake trailer on the net about a The Hobbit film and I don't think they are related.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:12 PM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Nope, I haven't heard anything. Well, if it's true, I wonder who will play Bilbo. And Do you think that Hugo Weaving would play Elrond again? Here's a funny thought: PJ plays Bombur. If this does happen, I hope they don't do an episode per chapter, because that would be way too short, I think. Unless each episode was an hour, instead of a half hour, then I think it would work.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:19 PM   #3
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Animated mini-series or live action mini-series, that's the question. An animated verion of the hobbit has been tried alrealy, and everyone knows how well that worked...<BR>I agree it would be very cool, though.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:05 AM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I don't know if a mini-series would be the best idea. I still think film is the best medium for things like this. But they are kind of correct that more of the story could be covered, instead of being so shortened like the films. Though I think the hobbit would be an easier film to make than the LOTR.<BR>Additionally anything they make would just have to be live action, they just could not do it animated (even though Sir Ian is recording for an upcoming Simpson's in London episode)if he wants to be in it, it would have to be very similar to LOTR. And besides most people would look at it as a prequel.<p>[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 03-12-2003, 01:41 PM   #5
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know on <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net" TARGET=_blank>www.theonering.net</A> they have posted a few time different things about Ian wanting to make the Hobbit and since theonering.net is usually fairly true I think he really wants to. I'll bet PJ does to if he doesn't have to lay the RR tracks down as the train is coming!
Old 03-12-2003, 02:58 PM   #6
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I wonder how many actors will want to be in Thorin's company? It's now well known what a horrible time JRD had with the make-up. But then again, money talks.
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 05:27 PM   #7
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hm...I think a Hobbit movie would be far better, as a Hobbit movie is pretty workable, and methinks a T.V series won't have the same budget as a movie.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:14 PM   #8
Dunlondion
Pile O'Bones

Dunlondion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I am going to check this out! I wondered what PJ was going to do about all the requests for a hobbit film/TV series I think its a great idea. However he had better get around to doing it soon because Ian Holm and Ian Mcellen won't be around forever and if they didn't use Ian Holm and Ian Mcellen the show wouldn't feel right
Dunlondion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 03:11 PM   #9
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yea i also think its a great idea, but i d not kno if it will actually happen. Im still having difficulty deciding on wether id like to be animated or not tho.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:09 PM   #10
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

I think a TV series would be really good, a nice refreshing change from a movie. Perhaps an hour a week for around 15 episodes. Of course the budget would have to be pretty big but I would think that enough profits have/are/will be made from the trilogy of films. <P>Ian Holm for Bilbo, perhaps, but he would have to have that face lift like he had for the Ring finding scene in the prologue to FotR. Also imagine how great it would be to have the whole TV series on DVD and the FotR, TTT and RotK extended DVD's and watch them all in a row.<P>Nice!
Old 03-19-2003, 04:16 PM   #11
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, Yes, Yes! A hobbit tv series would be awesome! As long as it was only for the book(sorta like a made for tv movie but better and longer)and not made into a show show. Like how Mr. Bean was so awesome and then he made the movie which was funny but not as good as the original show and now there is a animated Mr. Bean and it has lost all of the original charm. It just doesn't work as an animated show and I think that the Hobbit could make an excellent show but PJ would have to be careful in his approach because things like this can go bad very easily.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:33 PM   #12
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I think Ian Holm is in his 70's now isn't he? Do you guys think he could really portray a young(er) Bilbo?
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:03 PM   #13
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Yes thats what I was thinking, pretty old guy but remember that in FotR Gandalf says<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>One hundred and eleven who would have believed it, you haven't aged a day...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If they could get Ian Holm to do it then it is possible but because of his age there is also the aspect of all the stunt work and things like that. <P>New point- what would be a great thing to see from the book in a TV series? I think Bilbo's conversation with Smaug would be great- hmmm, that would be near the end of the whole thing but would still be great. Oh yeah and the Battle of the Five Armies of course <p>[ March 20, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 03-20-2003, 05:18 PM   #14
Ruler of the Frogs
Animated Skeleton

Ruler of the Frogs has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't you think that may be overdoing it too much? They might just murder it, like alot of television shows do to good movies and ideas. They should just make a The Hobbit movie. It'd be WAY better.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:42 PM   #15
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd like to see The Hobbit put on screen, but TV programs have their problems. I'd be worried about not enough interest from the public, and it would be canceled halfway through the story, or due to the lenght of the production, they'd end up using three different actors for the same part. I think that's why PJ wanted to shoot the trilogy nonstop, to guarantee he'd have the same cast for the entirety of the films. And yeah, I share the same fear as many of you, that if it were put onto the small screen, they would "cheese it up".

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote