The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #1
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots So, Best and Worst Characters?

First of all, I wish to apologise for the lame thread title.

Now on to business. Most of us will have been able to see the final extended version of the trilogy. What are your final thoughts as to the questions implied in the title? Which one character do you think was the best in the films overall? And which would you say was the worst?

Vague terms indeed, but take into account all you can. I would say take especial regards to the acting, dialogue, and possible storyline quirks.

Here are my nominations. As to best character, I would argue for Meriadoc Brandybuck. I thought the storytellers found the perfect niche for him, one of my favourite characters in the book. He was never in danger of outshining Frodo and Samwise, the really important Hobbit characters. But he was given enough so that the audience really cared about him. This came to a head with the climax of his story in the Extended version of The Return of the King. The acting was very good, I thought Monaghan had the right look for the part, and I really cannot think of anything wrong that happened with Merry in any of the films. The only complaint I can think of is that he was not featured very much in the first two films, but I think the character was rightly developed a lot overall.

Now worst. It may apear as if I am contradicting myself here because I have been quite the defender of this film character in the past. However, I think that game of Devil's advocate was slightly off-key when faced with the grand picture that stood there glowering at me all that time. That character is Faramir. I thought the acting was weak. Did anyone gauge any strength that the man had? The dialogue was sometimes bad, and dreadful in at least one part; "Saruman attacks from Isengard, Sauron from Mordor..." No kidding, genius. As Avie so brilliantly pointed out on another thread, Faramir played a typical 'damsel-in-distress'. Always weepy-eyed and just weak in general. Think of the part where Madril advises him to forsake Osgiliath. Wenham gives a pitiful cry of order, barely loud enough for anyone to hear him. There was also that whole Frodo and Sam bit which is still highly debatable. Overall, a really poor portrayal of what I think is a golden character.

So, please give me your nominations. Remember to give at least a couple of reasons for why you are choosing the characters. Remember also that this thread is not really the place to argue with others about certain characters.

Maybe it will wind up being just another list topic. Hopefully, it will at least be entertaining to read. A survey of the Barrowdowners, of sorts.

Thanks.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 01-01-2005 at 09:16 AM. Reason: The Wargs made me do it....
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote