piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've updated the Vacations/Away List:

HERE
Old 07-23-2006, 01:55 AM   #242
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Save #104 filled.

Hilde, let me know if revisions are needed. If Carl wants to say anything further, I can always paste it up in the same box.

I am going to put a save up tomorrow to get us out of camp.

Rôg, be forewarned!

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-23-2006 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:25 AM   #243
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Pio- I won't be travelling anywhere. =P So I'll have internet access.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #244
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Back again...

Gwerr seemed easier to get back on track. I'll have to think about Hadith for a while, but I'll try to bring him also to the scene today.

Things seem to have started unfolding. Great!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:48 AM   #245
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
A question about the slaves

How many weapons the slaves do actually possess (about how many)?

If the 15 ex-slaves would all have had four blades each as Shae had, there would almost be one for everyone! But paying heed to the beginning of the story and to the overall "believability", I can't see that as a right solution...

So is there a wealth of blades (or bows or the like) to actually distribute more evenly, or are we really having a shortage of weapons? I would think the latter option to be more realistic, but what do you think?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #246
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Durelin: As I PM'd you about my intentions, I totally forgot to inquire you about your stance on the way I used Khamir. So just please let me know if something was out of character with him...

Slaves: I seem to be filling our ranks, but well, that's my way in this kind of situation, it seems... I'll promise not to write too many characters more into our tale. But just to sum up, I have included in the slave-gallery the following personalities...

Beloan: Khamir's "right hand" (Which one hand it was that Khamir was missing? )

Khala and Cuáran: older ladies from the barracks, they used to take care of Hadith and any other younger people when needed. Good-hearted and streetwise of sorts. Reserved and practical. Will not come to the fore but will handle things at the down to earth manner they have on things.

Fewerth: a band leader of sorts, slimy and opportunistic thirty or something, ready to gain from any others misfortune with bullying, private trading or blackmailing.

Joshwan and Guilledean: Fewerth's "friends" or mates. The ones trying to gain the most of their patron's successes. Not trusting anyone but themselves who form a gang inside the slave-escapees.

Please use these characters as you wish with these general guidelines to begin with. Surely no one knows, what will come of them...
Old 07-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #247
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'd say there is both a shortage of weapons and a shortage of patience.

Khamir only has his knives, Shae hers, a few others would have perhaps a bow and a knife...really, it is probable that each person in the gang has more than one weapon. Whether or not they'd give up something they've learned to depend on to someone they don't particularly have the patience for is another matter.

Perhaps if this slave group was run a bit differently, there would be enough weapons for most of the able-bodied men and/or women and to have a weapon.

But whether or not anyone would realize that is different, too. The gang doesn't sit around polishing their shiny weapons all the time...or at least not very often.

And how you used Khamir in your post is quite fine, Nogrod. And thanks for setting up the situation! Shall be quite interesting.

Pio - I enjoyed your post...and will enjoy responding to it!
Old 07-23-2006, 11:14 PM   #248
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Folwren -

Here is the revised post. The changes are the ones you suggested at the end.

Please let me know if there are any problems with this. I've sent you a pm about the eyes through the grate.

I won't post again for Azhar until I hear from you.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #249
Child of the 7th Age

I've put up a save to get the fellowship out of camp and a good way along the road. If anyone needs to say something more before we leave camp, just post it on the discussion thread and I'll add it to the beginning of my save.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #250
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks, Tevildo, it looks good. Kwell cracks me up. Go ahead and do another post for Azhar if it so pleases you. I may or may not write one for Kwell before the fellowship gets there, so don't wait up for me.

-- Folwren
Old 07-24-2006, 03:23 PM   #251
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Save filled.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:47 AM   #252
Child of the 7th Age

Save filled.

Any volunteers?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:30 AM   #253
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I would like to do it, but I don't think Athwen would volunteer for that. So, I think Athwen won't and she'll just help set up.

I don't see how this can work. From what I understand, this is the morning after the attempted escape by Kwell and Azhar. If the company waits much longer to rescue the two kids, Kwell will have had to face the slavers again and no one's going to be happy with him.

Also, the night before, after they all went in search of the missing donkeys or horses or whatever they were (I never understood clearly just what their mounts were), Imak and the others would have returned, empty handed, I assume, and more furious than ever. What would have happened then? Did they leave Kwell and Azhar alone? Does Ghila tell Imak that the kids tried to escape?

In short - what happens at the slaver's camp to finish the night off?

-- Folwren
Old 07-25-2006, 10:03 AM   #254
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, a little clarification about when exactly it is that the Fellowship arrives may be helpful.

I do think that Carl would volunteer to be part of the group to investigate, (quiet feet, you know), but unfortunately I will not have the writing time soon enough. If anyone wants to carry him along with their character, please feel free to do so.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 07-25-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #255
Child of the 7th Age

Folwren and Hilde,

You've raised a good question. I do think the timing will work, but it will take a lengthy explanation as to what we see as going on. Plus your question ties into wider planning issues for the story. I think it may be a good time to pull in all the posters on some of these questions relating to plot development.

I've written a long post in answer to you, which also raises some of these planning issues for discussion, but I need to run it by Durelin first, since we've been doing the planning together. As soon as I hear from her, I'll tack it up, and then you and others can respond.

Till then, sit tight on the fellowship plot line.

Oh, yes, and this is for everyone, I will be out of town July 30 - August 4 on family business, but I should have decent computer access. We are staying in a motel with wireless and will be alright unless my son's laptop crashes!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #256
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think Vror will have to be a brave soul since he probably hasn't been when it comes to the horse he's been stuck on...or, well, clinging to, or something of that nature...
Old 07-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #257
Child of the 7th Age

Durelin,

Sounds good. I haven't heard from Hilde yet, but I hope she'll be able to do it if she has a few days.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:48 PM   #258
Child of the 7th Age

Folwren & Hilde & everyone in this rpg.....

Durelin and I were thinking this may be a good time to stop and do some serious group planning, and make sure we're on the same page.....for the orcs and slaves as well as the fellowship. Folwren -- I hope this will answer your concerns plus a lot more thrown in as well.

I'll give below what Durelin and I had envisioned. If it doesn't work, we'll fiddle with things of course. Plus, there are many questions that still need answering.

The children were kidnapped during the night. So far everything that has happened to Kwell and Azhar occurred in the space of a single night: imprisonment and attempted escape. The fellowship has now arrived at the slavers' camp early the next morning. It's still fairly early....the sun has risen and it is daylight.

At this point in the storyline, most of the slavers are scurrying around camp trying to figure out who/what has stolen the horses/donkeys. Their attention is not on the children. I was going to do one post by the orc Makdush that would throw the camp into even greater turmoil with the theft of Imak's valuable sword. Because of this loss, Imak's attention will be diverted from Kwell and Azhar at the last minute, perhaps just when he is striding over to deal with them. This will give the fellowship a chance to rescue the children while only having to confront a few guards. Even aside from the timing and the theft, my feeling is that no matter what Kwell has done, Imak is unlikely to kill him. The slavers are motivated by money, and they want to get their due for the slaves they have captured.

I also think Imak will decide the most likely culprits who stole his sword and the horses would have been some slaves who'd managed to track them down. The slavers are out in the middle of nowhere and, as far as they know, no one else is nearby. Moreover, Imak could not imagine slaves willingly coming to the slavers' camp just to rescue two useless children. That is beyond the realm of anything he would do. He assumes most of the slaves will try and flee; a few might come over and try to steal from him. If Imak thinks even a small gang of slaves is stealing from him, he is likely to want to take revenge by assembling a war party and turning swiftly on the entire slave camp as he threatened to do initially.

Imak's idea of revenge would not be killing a single boy, but turning against all the slaves and leading an attack on them. The greater danger would be that Imak would be preparing to launch that attack very shortly after the fellowship arrived at the slavers' camp. Perhaps the members of the fellowship can notice that preparations are going on to launch an attack later that day?

Durelin and I originally talked about whether the fellowship should be the only ones to rescue the kids or whether the slaves would send a party to do that as well, and the two groups (fellowship/slaves) would meet up at the slave camp. (The main body of slaves would presumably be camped some distance away with some women, the children etc. --this would be a smaller group sent out.) We decided to leave that question up in the air. Since the slaves were very involved with problems of their own (that required some interesting character development), we agreed that the fellowship would go ahead and do the rescue, if they got to the slave camp first. However, both of us agreed it could go either way.

So we have several options here:
  1. The fellowship alone rescues the kids. They ride back as fast as possible to the main slave camp with the slavers almost following on their heels (or perhaps not quite as closely as that).,
  2. The slaves send out a party to try and rescue the slaves themselves. The two groups meet up and do a joint rescue. (If we do this, my personal preference is that the groups act together without questioning each other's motives/roles etc., which may happen later.) The slaves and fellowship ride back together to the slaves' camp with the slavers not too far behind.
  3. Something else entirely that I haven't thought of, and perhaps someone else will.

Either way, the next scene would be a major battle between the slavers and the combined slave/fellowship group with heads rolling and such where the slavers are defeated.

After that we would immediately bring the orcs into the picture. Durelin and I had originally discussed the slaves/fellowship occupying the slavers' old camp (perhaps getting the rest of the supplies for themselves?). The orcs will continue to rob for food --- slaves or slavers would make no difference to them, and several of the orcs (all of those actually played by people?) would likely be discovered.

There is an interesting statement by Tolkien about orcs in HoME. I'll have to find it later for the exact words. Basically it said that no orc had ever asked for mercy but that if one ever did, a "good person" would be obliged to give that mercy. That is the situation we were thinking of.....one or more of the captured orcs (possibly a woman?) would make such a request. The slaves/fellowship must decide what to do.

There is also the complication of Orc children. As much as the slaves hate the orcs, how are they going to feel about murdering a nine-year old in cold blood? That is what would have to happen if they decided to slay the orcs for robbing them. One other possibility I know about is being planned behind the scenes--the possibility of at least some independent and semi-positive contact between the captured slave children and the orc child. This is another complication to put in the pot.

In the long run, there has to be some reason for the orcs to stay together with the slaves/fellowship. Presumably that reason would have to be one or more threats too big for either of them to handle. They are forced together out of necessity. (Maybe the orcs even leave and then come back because of what they've seen or experienced??) That is the next thing we'd have to work on.

Durelin and I had some idea about what that threat might be, but would love to hear other suggestions as we haven't nailed this down. So if anyone has good ideas about this or something else in the plot, feel free to post here or, if you prefer, send a pm. I know there are individual "secrets" and I'm not asking for those here -- just general plot stuff.

At some point after the three groups join, there will likely be a time condense post where we chew up a lot of time and ground in getting north.

Folwren -- that's a long answer but does it help?

Hilde -- The scouting post doesn't have to go up today, especially since we've raised a planning issue here that will take some time for people to respond. Do you think you'd be able to do a post like that in the next few days in conjunction with one or more by Durelin for her Dwarf?

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-25-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #259
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

So sorry to have been silent at this end. But my tribe and I were all under the dental drill and have just returned from our adventure!

Thank you too, for taking the time to get us all coordinated. Am I to understand that the dwarf has also been volunteered? I could try to get some thing written in the next few days, but I am thinking that I might not find a sizable chunk of time until Friday evening.

Child, I will be sending you a PM shortly.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #260
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dűm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
I deleted my old save and put a new post up. Nogrod take a look at it and get back with me.

- Regin
Old 07-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #261
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, see here. . .one thing I see is that realistically, the slaves could not have caught up to the slavers that night to rescue the kids in the early morning. I think Imak would figure this out, with his stuff dissapearing and all that. It is especially not likely since for some time after the attack, the slaves have been busy in their ranks with inner problems and haven't even decided if they should go after them. I am not writing any character that is part of the slave group, but it is my humble opinion (not given so humbly now, I know, but I'm still alright with it being ignored) is that the slaves should not be there for a joint rescue. If you think you can somehow figure out how the slaves could be there, then that would be fine, I guess. . .but, really, I can't think. Didn't the slavers attack late at night?

Here. . .let me draw the times out.

What season is it?

Okay, between 8 and 9 it becomes dark. Watches are set. Two - three hours each? I'm not sure which, I would guess two hours.

First watch - 9-11
Second watch - 11-1
Third watch - 1-3

The boy, Adnan, has promised to watch well, but he doesn't and doze off. But a chap who's promised to stay awake will, for most of the time. So, the slavers attack around 2:30 a.m. They're in and out by 2:45. The slave camp is set into uproar for at least an hour. By then, it's 3:45. Dawn is in two hours, or two and a half. The slavers rode for about an hour, too, and they didn't ride slowly.

I don't know what sort of time there is after that. We've crammed a lot into that time.

How many slavers are there? Can the fellowship just march in, kill the three guards, and take them without being really opposed? Where are the rest? Are they actually going to go off searching for their missing goods? I guess it really wouldn’t take that long to haul the two kids out of the pit. They can take care of the guards quietly, the elf, Dorran, and Rog can manage that. Then Aiwendil and Vror can rush in to help. Two people can drop down into the pit to unbind the children and lift them up so that the others on top can pull them out. Athwen and Carl will not be needed for this approach of rescue, both being unfit for dragging the kids out of the pit like that and also unable to jump back out again.

On the ride out away from camp (do they know in which direction the slaves are?) the children can be put up onto a horse in front of another rider – one strong enough to hold them up as they run the horses. The children are probably not used to riding and they will also be worn out and liable to slip off if not stabilized.

I have no time to think further than this on the matter. What I have just said is only my opinion stated at length. Take it or leave it as you think best. You can do whatever you think best.

As for what you wrote answering my question. . .I guess it does. Kind of. But if Imak is getting robbed right and left, would he just pack up camp and move out, in the hopes of being able to out-run whoever is pestering him? Also, I know that he wouldn’t kill Kwell, but goodness knows what a man like that out of temper will do when he knows his limits, and when his limits allow certain brutalities to be done. But there really doesn’t seem to be much time, which is good. . .

Goodness, the more I talk, the more confused I get and feel like I’m running circles. There are so many people to think about in this. Has what I just said made any sense? I hope it did, because I’m leaving now. I’ll do more brainstorming for you tomorrow when I’ve more time.

-- Folwren
Old 07-26-2006, 12:19 AM   #262
Child of the 7th Age

Thanks Folwren. Many of your ideas make great sense! Yes, it is confusing because we have three separate story strands and we're coming to the point where they need to join together. Not easy to do that. Let me spell out where I agree and disagree.

Quote:
. . .one thing I see is that realistically, the slaves could not have caught up to the slavers that night to rescue the kids in the early morning.
Quote:
it is my humble opinion... that the slaves should not be there for a joint rescue.
About the distances and times..... First, you did a great job sketching out the timeline for the night. It makes it much clearer.

I agree. The slaves could not get there by early morning. Your timeline shows that. If we assume the slavers took one hour to return to camp and galloping horses go 6.7 mph (Fonstad's figure), the distance between the two camps is 6-7 miles. A person can walk 2.5 mph. That means the slaves would need three hours to get to the slavers' camp. The best a group of slaves could do would be to make it there by mid-day. If we wanted to make it a joint effort, the fellowship could put off their rescue until the cover of darkness the following evening. (They may or may not decide to do that anyway.) That would be doable, since I think the slavers would likely not try to ride over to attack the slaves till the next morning.

Still, I agree with you. My personal preference is to have the fellowship alone rescue the slaves -- it's easier and cleaner and faster -- and only then ride to the slave camp.

I still think Imak assumes he's been robbed by slaves. He doesn't know about about several things, including the tumult in the slave camp. Plus, just seven slavers orginally attacked the camp. They were in and out quickly. There were 65 slaves spread out around a series of small fires. That's a lot of ground to cover. Imak knew the slaves didn't have large numbers of horses, but he didn't see the whole camp. In his mind, the most resourceful slave leaders might still possess a few horses. If even three or four were mounted, they could make it over to the slavers' camp and do mischief. And if Imak really thinks that a few slaves have stolen his precious sword, he will definitely want to get back at them.

Quote:
How many slavers are there?
25 in all, but one or two now lack horses, thanks to "our allies" the orcs.

I think the seven members of the fellowship can rescue two prisoners in a disorganized camp, especially at night. I liked your description of the pit rescue a lot. The amount of resistence would depend on how we structure the rescue. If we're only talking about guards on the perimeter and one person watching the pit, I think resistence could be minimal.

As for Athwen's or Carl's role, that would be up to you and Hilde. There are things that could be done by "smaller" characters--creating diversions, helping to calm the children, gaining access in tight quarters or, perhaps even better, sneaking in and managing to add a sleeping potion to the flasks that the guards are carrying. (A healer with knowledge of herbs would be of great use in that situation. Such a move would definitely cut down on resistence .)

Quote:
What season is it?
Not sure??

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-26-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #263
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

As I've told Child, I like best the idea of the Fellowship rescuing the two children and triumphantly entering the slave camp with them. Well, not so triumphantly, since chances are there will be angry slavers at their heels.

Here's an idea: the slavers are getting prepared to go after the slave camp cause Imak's rather...irked...by them, and they seemed to have such an easy time of it last time; they can at least rough 'em up a bit more, capture a few more for some big money. They leave in the morning? Or perhaps even at night, and the Fellowship watches them. They lay low until just before/when the battle starts, and then in the confusion, rescue the children. Perhaps Athwen and Carl could then take them to safety, while the others fight the slavers from the rear. Then the Fellowship are the mysterious rescuers for the slave group, as they are better armed and better prepared.

Just an idea I wanted to throw out there. Which in and of itself might have been a bad idea, because it might just add to any confusion/difficulties.

Quote:
What season is it?
I think the consensus has mostly been that it is hot, and even though it is Mordor and that could mean a lot of things, I think we can assume it's spring or summer.

Most likely it's actually summer, since I doubt the Fellowship would have left sometime in the winter.

Has anyone been thinking of it very differently?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #264
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I was thinking it was summer.

Would a full out attack from the slavers on the group of slaves really be all that possible to do? I mean, it's possible, but it seems to me the slavers would come out definitely the winners, seeing as all of them are fully armed and are also trained fighters, also much better fed and physically prepared for a fight.

-- Folwren
Old 07-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #265
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

25 versus 65 plus an Elf, two men, and a Dwarf well-armed (and with six horses), plus an Istari (well, I imagine Aiwendil can hold his own in a fight, heh)...and then Athwen and Carl, who I think could take out a baddie in a pinch.

Numbers do matter. Besides, at least I'm not imagining the slavers as that well-armed. It's still Mordor, and it's not going to be a place where any good weapons and the like are easy to come by. And these guys are bounty hunters trying to earn money for a reason, so I imagine they're not well-off in any way.

That's at least how I've been picturing them, though perhaps I've been in my own little world....

And though the sixty-five includes women and children, they're by no means completely helpless, even if Khamir sometimes thinks they are.

Perhaps we could kill a number of slaves off to make things as realistic as possible? I'm always up for lowering the numbers in such a way.

If all else fails when it comes to realism, we pull the Istari card.

Speaking of which... What can Aiwendil talk animals into doing?

To try and be more helpful...a more specific response to this:

Quote:
seeing as all of them are fully armed and are also trained fighters, also much better fed and physically prepared for a fight
Trained fighters I doubt. They're not soldiers. They're bandits who deal with human beings, essentially. And better fed, maybe, but the slaves are not weak. They've been living in worse conditions than they are on the move for years as slaves. Their bodies are probably reacting positively to such.

Just my thoughts, though they are mostly based on assumptions. Not that we have much else to go on.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #266
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, okay, that's fine. My thoughts were all based on assumption, too, and your assumption carries more weight than mine, I think.

-- Folwren
Old 07-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #267
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Some thoughts before I leave for the youth-camp...

I can't see any realistic scenario where the slaves go after the two kidnapped ones. The Easterlings took them at night by horses and the slaves don't know where and how far they went. And at the time of an imminent danger, splitting the group would be too dangerous and the chances of a successful mission minuscule.

So let the fellowship rescue them?

How about, if the slavers make a revenge-attack (to gain the lost property & new captives) the next night? The fellowship or some of the slaves might anticipate it and they would build a trap to them? Thence the situation might be made more even and the Fs & slaves might win.

The orcs would stay around as they would see that the slavers are not getting away when the day comes - waiting for the spoils the next night again. And how happy would they be to see almost all the slaver camp take to their horses and ride away when the night comes, leaving just the horseless ones + a couple extra perhaps to guard the camp (remember, they believe it was the few slaves with horses that made the robbery last night)?

Then on the next day after the nightly trap has worked and the slavers are defeated, the fellowship and the slaves would go to check the slavers camp for supplies and possibly meet the orcs there?

Or the orcs would get away from the slavers camp when seeing them coming towards the camp they have devastated and then the orcs would follow the fs & slaves in hope of supplies to steal from them?

Or something.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:52 PM   #268
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

... a bit more, sorry...

So in the morning as the the fs & the slaves have greeted and appreciated each others (or not), they would realise that:
a) the slavers would be back the next night
b) open fight is too risky
c) fs knows where the slaver-camp is and could estimate there being lots of food & other stuff in there

They decide to move a bit forwards, finding a suitable location to the trap they would lay and then camp there?

In the evening they would put up decoy-sleepers by gathering sacks and bags and stones and whatever and cover them with blankets around small fires. Maybe a couple of guards out in the open just to look believable (not only one any more as they have the experience of the last night)? And all those able to use weapons - and to whom there are weapons to share - to wait in a suitable position, hidden from the sight of anyone approaching the camp?

Maybe some more sophisticated things too? If they would have a net, they could lay it through a suitable trail into the camp, laying it to the ground so that it could not be noticed from afar, and then hoist it as the riders come rushing over it? I believe we could come up with many possible traps together... If there would be a few trees or piles of stone / big rocks, some could hide in them and then drop the riders from their saddles with a simple rope that could be hoisted high enough when they pass the trees / rocks, whatever...

Just some ideas for you to elaborate...

Then a wish.

If the "battle" takes place before I come back, I would like someone of you to mention Hadith somewhere so that I could continue from there. My idea is, that he's now gotten an experience of not being able to do anything (the first phases of the first attack) and of succeeding (dropping the Easterling), of humiliation (been stolen the knife) and of a triumph (proving Khamir he had been right and making it somewhat in a "manly" fashion). So now he would need a real challenge with these manly arts he so much appreciates and seems to crave for.

So someone could note (or order, if it's Khamir ) him to take a responsible or tough place and maybe to notice him to have trouble with it. What I'm after is that Hadith would be very self-assured and proud to take that post and then learn that it's not so easy to be a hero...

PS.
I have sent Regin some outlines for the discussion between Ishkur's and Gwerr's little get-together from Gwerr's part. So Regin will be using Gwerr with my full approval and confidence while I'm away.

PS.2.
See you on the August 4th. I just can't wait to see where you have gotten this story by then!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #269
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Good gracious! I like your thoughts Nogrod! Most of them, anyhow.

I really like the Fs and the slaves setting up some sort of ambush. That would be a good way to use their advantageous numbers and help get rid of a few of the slavers from the very get go.

However, about the orcs staying around. . .I would think that after having robbed all that they could carry, they would get out of their as quickly as possible. They don't want to stick around and run the risk of getting caught again. I think in their situation, they'd take only what they could carry, maybe (since they're orcs) destroy the rest, if they could do so safely, and then run off. But they're fairly smart- they won't do anything terribly unsafe. And I think that the slaves would really appreciate it if they didn't destroy the rest of the goods.

-- Folwren
Old 07-26-2006, 07:48 PM   #270
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
However, about the orcs staying around. . .I would think that after having robbed all that they could carry, they would get out of their as quickly as possible. They don't want to stick around and run the risk of getting caught again. I think in their situation, they'd take only what they could carry, maybe (since they're orcs) destroy the rest, if they could do so safely, and then run off. But they're fairly smart- they won't do anything terribly unsafe.
You speak like Gwerr, Folwren! That was just as he suggested in #107!

But I think our storyline requires the orcs at least to stick around somewhere...

I'm looking forwards to hear how Ishkur or / and Makdush argue the orcs to stay where they are and not take Gwerr's advice to get away asap, as they don't know of the requirements of the storyline.

Have fun everyone! I try to hold my horses at the camp without a possibility to check how this is going...
Old 07-27-2006, 01:04 AM   #271
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Let us hope that, with all this excellent planning, the fellowship or some other rescuer will come soon. Azhar has collapsed on the floor of the cave from some unknown trauma, unconscious and with a high fever. I have a feeling that the slavers will put up with a sullen, rebellious slave but they may have no interest in dragging along one who is seemingly half dead.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #272
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

How much time are we from the fellowship stepping in and taking the kids? I'm working on a post for Kwell and I would like to say that he heard something above him or from somewhere and although he doesn't know what it is, I think it could be from one of the fellowship. Is this doable?

-- Folwren
Old 07-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #273
Child of the 7th Age

Sounds good, but could you hang on to that post for just a bit?

We've gotten our two volunteers to spy in camp: Carl and Vrór. Durelin will do an introductory post where she "accepts" the mission for her character and for the hobbit. At the end of her post, or possibly in Lindir's response, there will be an indication that the two have left camp. Once that indication goes up on the thread, Kwell should be able to hear something that would lead him to think that help is on the way.

Possibly one of the scouts could even make a reference back to having made more noise than is advisable. I'm not sure about that, but you could write and ask them.....

Folwren & Nogrod --

Durelin and I will look at some of the great ideas you've come up with and see if we think something is doable.

We are still short staffed, which makes it tough to get a continuous storyline going. I'll post another absence report later today.....

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-27-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #274
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm about to post a post, still, though. He's going to wake up right after Azhar breaks her ropes (or whatever happens to them). He will not hear any of the fellowship.

Thanks for responding. It sounds excellent. Don't worry, when I post, though. I'll be able to post again after the two fellowship members move in. I just want to put Kwell's reaction to Azhar's condition right now. . .

-- Folwren
Old 07-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #275
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Apologies, particularly to Hilde - that took me longer than it should have to get up.

But I have posted, and I have it is adequate. I tried to use other characters as little as possible, because I don't like to borrow, but I hope any ways that I used Lindir and Carl (and described them) is alright.

And of course let me know if I messed anything up.

Hilde - I hope that where I brought Carl and Vror up to (just leaving) is adequate.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:24 PM   #276
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Durelin, it is just perfect! And no need to apologize. I feel quite bad that I'm still not finished yet. Three paragraphs and still revising, but not finishing!
Old 07-28-2006, 06:12 PM   #277
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

So sorry to have taken so long here, but Carl's "save" has been filled in.

I was thinking that the children could possibly be rescued through a side route, making use of the side tunnel and brook mentioned in Tevildo post for Azhar, perhaps reducing the number of slavers by picking them off as they happen to get too close to the excavation. That way the fellowship might be able to get back to their horses before being found out. But if the fellowships' hearts are keen on keeping above ground, I suppose that the tunnel might easy prove too small or be partially blocked.

Edit: Also, Durelin or Child, just let me know if this post needs to be placed later in the stream of events.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 07-28-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #278
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up Well, I'm back...

Fascinating how everything's developing here. I've more or less caught up and agree with most everything that's been said here (may comment further later). A post for Grask will be coming either tonight or tomorrow sometime.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:08 PM   #279
Child of the 7th Age

Firefoot - Good to see you back!

Hilde

Great post, and thanks! The side route is definitely interesting, but I'm having trouble visualizing it because that has never been my strong suit. Is the side tunnel a clear, open space, or is there a point where only a child and a hobbit or a dwarf could squeeze through (the latter with difficulty?) The ending of your post suggests the latter and something that will have to be dug out? Is that right? (Good job for a Dwarf or a Hobbit)

Great suggestions on the thread and by pm about planning! Special thanks to Folwren and Nogrod. We've patched ideas together to make a rough outline. None of this is set in stone, and I look forward to any further ideas/comments from those who are returning from time away (as well as those who've already shared in the discussion).

Proposed Plot Outline
  • Imak’s sword is missing.
  • Orcs agree to make one last raid after dark before clearing out.
  • Vrór and Carl spy on the slavers and develop a plan.
  • The fellowship rescues the kids at night and kills several baddies to even the odds. Orcs raid the slavers’ camp at virtually the same time.
  • Imak deals with both disturbances, rides out but then turns back at the slave camp, vowing revenge.
  • The fellowship triumphantly enters the slave camp with the children.
  • The good guys must decide whether to flee immediately, or to stand their ground since there is certain to be an attack the next night.
  • Orcs learn of the slavers’ plans for an outside assault and decide to stick another night to help themselves to more goodies, since there will be no one in camp.
  • Fellowship/slaves set up a number of tricks as discussed on this thread, e.g, nets, trenches, decoys.
  • Slaves victorious in battle. They decide to march the six miles back to the slavers camp to reap their rewards.
  • The orcs are discovered---this still has to be worked out

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-29-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #280
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Looks excellent to me!

I was thinking that if Kwell had a very bad time of it by Imak's hand, then he may be rather keen on reaping revenge, too. Of course, this is a foolish and dumb thing for a boy to think, but if they're in a winning battle against the slavers, he may get it into his thick head to try something. For the sake of it not being realistic and because I don't want him to kill Imak anyway, I think if I'm allowed to do this, I won't have Kwell end up succeeding in taking out said revenge, but maybe getting hurt in the process. . .? Unless this would give unwanted delay to the game, or if anyone can think of any other reason for me not to do it, may I?

EDIT: I assume that if the Fellowship are going to be waiting an entire day, Imak will happily over look and ignore Kwell and Azhar?

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 07-29-2006 at 08:27 PM.