The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2007, 06:42 AM   #841
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Very good, HI, and wonderful to see you on the thread again!! I hope you and your family are well and haven't felt the storm too much...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #842
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Very good, HI, and wonderful to see you on the thread again!! I hope you and your family are well and haven't felt the storm too much...
Thank you, M'am. The Storm did not reach us, and hopefully will not

As for next question, here we go:

Quote:
You have been listening

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #843
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nice to see you, HI !

The First Voice to Niggle (after suggesting gentle treatment)
Old 01-20-2007, 06:21 PM   #844
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion

Indeed, it was a First Voice

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #845
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

"Well?" "How have you got on?"
Old 03-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #846
ADubiousSource

Old Uin, the wale told this to Roverandom.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:31 AM   #847
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up Correct!

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs and to this game, DubiousSource !
(What a name! But in this case the source wasn't dubious at all!)

Your turn.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #848
ADubiousSource

Sorry this took so long.

"It's my place to have ideas, and not yours."
Old 03-23-2007, 10:43 PM   #849
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Welcome indeed, ADubiousSource! It's always nice to have new victims - um, I mean participants, of course!

That sounds like it must be Nokes speaking to Alf Prentice in Smith of Wootton Major. Just let me check my book to be sure...

Yes, that's it. Lovely person, isn't he?! Wouldn't you like to have Nokes as your boss?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #850
ADubiousSource

Thankyou Estelyn Telcontar. And very good, you are correct.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #851
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Greetings to all who read and post here:
Quote:
Hullo there, my lads!
That includes the lassies too, of course!
Old 03-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #852
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe How singularly apposite

Since lately were these boards disturb'd by murmurings of strife.

Quote:
Hullo there, my lads! You're late comers,
if it's fighting you look for; but I can find you some
if you need it tonight. You'll get nothing cheaper.
Tídwald routs the looters of the slain in The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:26 AM   #853
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes indeed, Squatter! The seemingly friendly greeting (when taken out of context) is actually a warning, and thus appropriate on various levels.

Next one's yours.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #854
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Be swift, ye loremasters

Here's a summation of the thread, the next question and a quotation, all in one line.

Quote:
now swift declare!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #855
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, even wishes take a little time for thinking; as swift as I was able to find it, here is the answer to the quote: It's Aotrou to Itroun, asking her to name even the slightest wish she might have, so that he could fulfil it.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #856
Spectre of Decay

That's the one, Esty. Your turn.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #857
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a tricky one:
Quote:
...a fresh appetite for marvels.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #858
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Andrew Lang wrote this about children, in the introduction to his Fairy Books.

Last edited by Guinevere; 04-13-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:21 AM   #859
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Excellent, Guinevere! We haven't had a quote from On Fairy-Stories in awhile, and I wasn't sure if someone would find it easily.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #860
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thank you Esty!
( I am very fond of "On Fairy-Stories". I have already convinced two friends to read it, and sent a copy to my brother!)

Well, here's a new quote for guessing:
Quote:
Give him a miss today.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #861
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I believe that's the mer-dog speaking to Rover
Sorry for the absence, I plan to be more active here from now on.

Last edited by The Might; 04-12-2007 at 06:29 PM.
The Might is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:50 AM   #862
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up correct!

"him" being Artaxerxes
Old 04-13-2007, 03:22 AM   #863
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Question

Okay, here is a new quote:

Quote:
We have lived and worked together now.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #864
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Maybe I should make it larger...
Here goes:
Quote:
We have lived and worked together now. Things might have been differ*ent, but they could not have been better. All the same, I am afraid I shall have to be going on. We shall meet again, I expect: there must be many more things we can do together.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #865
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Oh, I guess I forgot this thread - I would have recognized the short quote easily, since I've studied Leaf by Niggle closely in the past weeks. It's Niggle, speaking to Parish.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #866
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Indeed...
I actually was wondering how come you haven't posted here yet...
The thread is yours.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #867
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a new one:
Quote:
Light is what we need.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:13 AM   #868
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Father Christmas Letters, 1932
Cave-Bear makes a suggestion...
Old 05-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #869
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

You have it, TM! It was a practical statement, but sounds very philosophical, doesn't it?! Your turn...
Old 05-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #870
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well here you go:

Quote:
A merry feast that year they made
Old 05-20-2007, 03:40 AM   #871
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

This is about Aotrou and Itroun:

Quote:
A merry feast that year they made,
when blossom white on bush was laid;
there minstrels sang and wine was poured,
as it were the marriage of a lord.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #872
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Indeed
Old 05-21-2007, 02:45 AM   #873
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Quote:
So pleased to have met you!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:29 AM   #874
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Hmm, Roverandom says "Very pleased to have met you" to Artaxerxes, but that's not the exact quote. Am I in the wrong work and should be looking elsewhere?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:52 AM   #875
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

No, no, you were looking in the right book!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #876
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The old man tries to make Roverandom stay.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #877
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

I take it, by "old man" you mean the Man in the Moon?
If so, you're right, and it's your turn again.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #878
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well then, here you go:
Quote:
Beasts and birds and other creatures often talk like men
Old 05-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #879
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Nothing?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #880
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Sorry - I've pondered this quote, but am not sure where to start looking. It sounds like it could come from the essay "On Fairy Stories" - am I close?