The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2003, 07:03 AM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Will he or won't he?

Or should he is the more apt question. <P>Oscar nomination debate this year includes much yaying and naying over whether animated characters should receive nominations. The debate arises due to Andy Serkis' upstaging performance as Gollem in TTT.<P>What would be the criteria for awarding an Oscar to a CGI performance?<P>In keeping with Serkis' performance of both sides now, here is an article which swings both ways:<P> <A HREF="http://www.nationalpost.com/artslife/" TARGET=_blank>Is Gollem Worthy?</A><P>Bethberry
Old 01-09-2003, 02:25 PM   #2
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I don't think that he will be nominated for best supporting actor, because they seem to have so many other choices.<BR>Even though he did do a wonderful job portraying Gollum, exactly like in the book.<p>[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 01-09-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The Two Towers will probably win best technology or whatever the category is, but no big awards.<P>Can't give an award for a fantasy film now can they!
Old 01-09-2003, 06:29 PM   #4
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dűm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lol ya Eomer. No awards for fantasy! Only drama
Old 01-09-2003, 06:35 PM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Interesting article Bethberry.<P>I would go with the "Yes" part of it - Andy Serkis certainly should be eligible for nomination. The voice is his, the movements are his and the facial expressions are his. If that's not acting (and mighty fine acting too), then I don't know what is. I think that the John Hurt/ Elephant Man example is a very good one. The character hardy looked like John Hurt but the acting was his.<P>The "No" part of the article argues that he is undeserving because it was a team effort. But so is any acting performance. All actors are, to some degree or other, directed. Make up artists and costume people alter their appearance. Just because a director guides an actor on how to portray a certain scene or deliver a certain line does not mean the actor is not acting.<P>So, yes - he should be eligible for nomination. But, 'though I think he deserves it, I doubt that he will be. This is a fantasy film, after all.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:13 AM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Greetings and welcome to the Downs, <B>Saucepan Man</B>,<P>The fact that you took the time to read the article impresses me--I'm by no means being sarcastic here--I'm really looking forward to reading more of your posts.<P>I was a bit disappointed that Cowan's "No" article was dependent on so many of his examples in his "Yes" article, but I agree that his main point doesn't hold up. Film is a collective art by and large, filtered through the director and editing, although great artists can by the strength of their vision make their own unique presence known. <P>I also liked Cowan's discussion of Serkis' voice pyrotechnics. It is rare to see that kind of analysis given to acting performances.<P>I wonder, though, does Serkis' performance show so very well because it was a great performance or because no one else in TTT gave a remarkable performance? In my most cynical moments, I consider nominating Elijah Woods' eyes, for that is all we got. The love scenes between Arwen and Aragorn made me laugh because they were so devoid of passion. Or maybe I should use a word from the X Files lexicon, no on-screen chemistry.<P>Bethberry
Old 01-10-2003, 11:29 AM   #7
Thingol1000
Animated Skeleton

Thingol1000 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

oh boy Bethberry, do I disagree.<BR>I thought all the performances were damm good, Eowyn and Arwen's especially. Only my opinion here but you are waaayyy wrong.
Thingol1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 09:22 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Thanks for the welcome Bethberry. I've only been here a few days, but I'm having a ball.<P>I don't wholly agree about the acting, though. I'm of the "enjoyed the film for what it was" school (although I was rather preoccupied with the drastic changes first time round, so am going again). As a film, I thought that it was very good indeed, and that includes the acting.<P>Serkis is of course way out in front, but I liked Sean Astin (funnily enough more than in the first film). Also, Ian McKellen (to the extent he was there), Christopher Lee, Brad Dourif and Bernard Hill were very good (as would be expected), and I was pleasantly surprised by Miranda Otto.<P>Of course, Viggo, Elijah and Orlando don't have to worry about great performances - they just have to look good! Actually, I have been impressed by Viggo Mortenson too.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #9
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I consider nominating Elijah Woods' eyes<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>LOL, Bethberry. <BR>But you made a good point there. I'm far less critical and cynical than you, but I do sometimes wonder: would I still think that Ian Mckellan's performance was wonderful, if I hadn't first been a fan of the book? Are these chracters just so dear to me, that when someone manages to play them even adequately, I'm ready to praise them beyond any limit? I hope not. What makes me hopeful, is that I didn't use to be a big fan of Eowyn or Boromir, but I think Miranda Otto and Sean Bean did very well.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:35 AM   #10
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, and this is totally off-topic (as was my last post...): if Aragorn and Arwen didn't have any chemistry, Aragorn and Eowyn sure did! I felt like yelling "Ditch that elf, you idiot!" to Aragorn troughout the movie...But that's just me.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:46 PM   #11
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

... yeah, but she has a <I>really</I> big forehead. See <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001567" TARGET=_blank>here</A> for more reasons.<P>Thanks for providing the link, Bethberry. I'd have to say one of the happiest TV related moments in my life was seeing Chewbacca (<B>not</B> Peter Mayhew, but Chewbacca) go up to accept an MTV award for Lifetime Achievement. Maybe they can put a big blue screen up behind the stage, have Andy Serkis in a body suit, and add Gollum later. I know it's not the Oscars, but I think it will be several years before the Academy starts giving out awards to CG characters. See <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000511" TARGET=_blank>here</A> for more Oscar fun.