Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #521
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great job Legate! I'm writing for all three of my characters today, but will probably post for only one (possibly two now that Loni is set up for a conversation). I won't get anything posted today; however, the post will be finished and posted tomorrow morning sharp.

Also, for those who are wondering how the general atmosphere of the colony is, it would probably be anxiety. The battle was a draw (this will be made clear in my next post) won only by Oin's slaying of the Orc Chieftain. The Orcs are mining into the mountain so the Dwarf warriors are expecting the next fight to be in the First Hall (not to say that that is the case).

Remember, Balin still needs to be buried (probably informal--a warriors death) and a certain something still needs to be handed off (this will be revealed what that is in my next post). Plus the BALROG! still needs to make his entrance.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:53 AM   #522
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Mmh sorry for being away, my Uni just started last week so it was a mess. I should be able to be around more now. *needs to write for Ori and talk with Groin about the general storyline* Anyway, I'm glad to see people are active and things are progressing. If you need filling in on what's happened lately or something, just PM me and ask - and I'll be answering questions on this thread too, especially at the times Groin's going to be away. So let's just keep this great RPG going and finish it some day...
Old 09-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #523
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I finished my save, which took a few extra days to do, but it's up now and Iari can be more active these days.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 AM   #524
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sorry for having been inactive, but I've just been busy. Expect me to move the plot onwards in a few days' time.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #525
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Rejoice people! I will finally post something tonight!

We do need Groin to move on a bit more though, because there's something he wanted to do that has to be done before leaving the settlement and fleeing.

We're all going to die soon... mwa ha ha!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #526
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hm...Don't move on yet. I mean to post for Kénan first. Soon.

-- Foley
Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #527
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Ok, no problem - I don't think we're ever going to move on too fast.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #528
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I am finally back. Studying is hectic right now and I have just begun college admissions. DO NOT WAIT FOR ME TO MOVE ON! You have permission to use my characters.

A few quick thoughts that I thought of inserting in my post. Tror still has the book of Marzubul. Gandalf said that there were many hands of writing in the book but Ori's was the only one he could make out. Tror will write in it for a little bit and will hand it off to Ori soon.

Looking forward to your post Foley! Lommy, your post was very long and equally enjoyable. Legate, you can have the last word with Oin before either Frar or Ori reaches Tror.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #529
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I have posted for Óin, and I made both Ori and Frár approaching (I hope it's okay with you, Lommy and Gwath). It probably does not matter who of them gets to speak first You can probably post as you see fit.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 10-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #530
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I have posted for Óin, and I made both Ori and Frár approaching (I hope it's okay with you, Lommy and Gwath). It probably does not matter who of them gets to speak first You can probably post as you see fit.
Nice post, Legate. My studies are lightening up for me now and I will be able to post more now, especially now that things are becoming exciting. Now that the colony is stuck in Khazad-dum for the rest of the RPG the story should flow along nicely.

Gwath, Lommy, since both of y'all's characters need to talk to Tror, how about doing a post together? I'll start a post for Tror addressing either Frar or Ori.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #531
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Gwath, Lommy, since both of y'all's characters need to talk to Tror, how about doing a post together? I'll start a post for Tror addressing either Frar or Ori.
Sounds good, but if it starts to lag due to people not having time, let's cut it and continue with individual posts. When you're writing the beginning, please take into account that Ori would bring Vigdis with him so that Trór could hear the news in at least as original form as he did.

It's nice to see you back, Groin. Do whatever you will with the Book of Mazarbűl, except that I think Ori was the one to write about Balin's death - unless I'm mistaken (can't check now because I don't have a solid no missing pages LotR here).
Old 10-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #532
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
It's nice to see you back, Groin. Do whatever you will with the Book of Mazarbűl, except that I think Ori was the one to write about Balin's death - unless I'm mistaken (can't check now because I don't have a solid no missing pages LotR here).
I'll PM you about that.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #533
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Augh! I've FINALLY posted! I am SO sorry!

I will PM Kitanna and let her know. I think she and I want to get this little drama dealt with before moving on, because it really is pivotal in our characters' development. I am really, really sorry. I know I for one will try extra super hard to keep my part moving, at least until this crucial part for me is over. School is lightening up, so that helps.

-- Foley
Old 10-13-2009, 06:01 AM   #534
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Cool down, Foley, as long as people are not losing interest because of it, slow speed is ok. Your post was good.

I PMed Kath (who hasn't ever written for her characters) and she said I may kill them off. So, actually, if anyone wants to write a few people die, you can use Hepti and Svior (and if no one else does it, I will).

I may try to contact our other disappeared writers but not sure if that'll help...
Old 10-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #535
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm gonna put up a save and then if everyone wants to move on I'll have a spot saved to answer Folwren's last post. I'll probably fill the save later this week, Saturday would be the latest I'd fill in my save.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #536
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Sounds good, but if it starts to lag due to people not having time, let's cut it and continue with individual posts. When you're writing the beginning, please take into account that Ori would bring Vigdis with him so that Trór could hear the news in at least as original form as he did.
I'll get a post started right away.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:28 AM   #537
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

In case somebody's worried that nothing is happening, that's not true, we're writing a PM post to cope with the situation... and everybody may post meanwhile of course.

I'm also wondering whether I should PM spam disappeared people (again)...
Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #538
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I have posted the co-op post! Thank you to Lommy, Legate, and Gwath for participating in it.

Everyone can start posting for their character's thoughts. Things might get a little disorganized with all the wounded so Tror might need to appoint a new officer. Remember, the Balrog is coming, but the masses don't know it.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #539
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

So it's up to me, Legate or Gwath to get the colony on the move?

I will write more for Ori once I have time - I'm definitely going to make him write to the book soon since he's writing about "yesterday" - but I felt I couldn't make the Book of Mazarbűl justice when I'm slightly tired and have little time before I have to go to sleep.

Everybody, feel free to post for your characters.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #540
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Palantir-Green

It's been very quiet for a month and I'm not going to be around much during the holidays. So let's say I will be back in mid-January to kick some action into this RPG. Until then, Merry Christmas everybody and feel free to either have a pause from this RPG or surprise me with a flood of action.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #541
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Palantir-Green

Hi people!

My busy period ended up being longer than I expected. Anyway, I'm back to life now, and I DEFINITELY want this RPG to continue.

So, over the next week or so, I will go through info from LotR and me and Groin's old plans and constitute a sort of storyline for this game, and I shall keep it short. I can post it (excluding possible surprise elements ) so you'll get a clearer idea of what will happen soon. Anyway, I'd love to get this RPG beautifully finished by summer, but as that seems utopistic, my realistic schedule is at the latest by winter. But I will this time make sure we are proceeding at a regular speed and that we can really finish this (I will finish this alone if needs be).

Then I will write a post to get us moving, and by moving I mean really moving.

We need to make some arrangements though, since Groin seems to have left the 'downs without telling me anything personally or making any wishes about the future of this RPG and his characters. I will take over Trór, and do my best to write him in Groin's spirit. Legate, would you like to take Náli and take care of him as either a proper character or a carry-along one? If someone's interest in writing Nîsa, be my guest.

**GROIN IF YOU SEE THIS AND ARE COMING BACK AFTER ALL OR HAVE AN OPINION ON SOMETHING, PLEASE PM ME**

Of course, if Groin comes back, I'm willing to give up my sovereignity on this RPG and share leadership with him once again and give him his characters back (provided they're still alive).

I will also PM the inactive writers with the faint hope someone might come back.

Those whom I count on to come back and write are Legate, Foley, Kitanna, Durelin, Dimturiel and possibly Gwathagor.

Anyone out there for giving me a pleasant surprise by reappearing or an unpleasant one by saying my assumption of their continued participation is wrong?

Anyone posting some signs of life on this thread now or at least when I post again is very welcome to do so. Also all kind of suggestions/wishes are very welcome. I'm not planning to run this RPG as a dictator...

Lastly, if you know people who would be interested to write in an RPG or especially in this one, please invite them to join our diminished party. I can always make a short summary of what's happened this far and in this kind of RPG, it is absolutely no problem to introduce new characters in the middle of everything, because there are definitely far more Dwarves around than the characters we've written for this far. (This goes for old writers too - if you feel like taking new characters, feel free to do so.)

And this invitation also goes for all you stalkers out there. Don't hesitate. We need life here.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #542
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
*stalks*
Old 03-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #543
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

I'll just confirm and say I'm ready to add and post once we get moving again.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #544
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I am around, but fluctuating in busy-ness and all that. I have glanced at this RP occasionally for months, but obviously never taken even a step further. Fail.

I will be happy to get this going again, even though I dread killing my characters. Ah well, I can always bring them back in some other form...

Yay Lommy! Let me know what kind of help you need, and I will do my best to provide it (obviously posting is in order, but let me know what I can do planning-wise and whatever else).

The RP forums in general are pretty quiet, but I'll see if I can prod anyone into joining us for the remainder.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:19 AM   #545
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Nice to see some activity. I'll try to get this moving soon (within a week) and I'll tell you guys if I need help.

Mnemo, if you've ever wanted to create (or adopt) a cute little Dwarf and DESTROY him/her, here's your chance.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #546
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Good to see this brought back to life I have already told Lommy that it's no problem for me to take Náli, after all, he's Lóni's brother and I have even sort-of posted for his actions partially at some point.

So definitely looking forward to future plans... and I will also re-read the thread a bit to refresh my memory about my characters' whereabouts and situation.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #547
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Mnemo, if you've ever wanted to create (or adopt) a cute little Dwarf and DESTROY him/her, here's your chance.
Truth be told, that's been one of my long fantasies with hobbits (writing the destruction of the Shire = so sad but so much evil authorial fun!) but I'll take Dwarves in a pinch. I'll need to look over everything, obviously... I've had some Dwarf OCs before but they're always a touch harder for me to come up with (especially suitable names!). I may be willing to adopt.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #548
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Wow, people have actually been posting on this.

I've been really busy lately and my business hasn't really ended.....it's just slacked off for spring break. I can attempt to post sometime, but I can't promise you anything. But I'm glad to see that people are still interested.

-- Foley
Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #549
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Here is me making a pleasant -I hope - surprise

Honestly, with the way I treated this game, first leaving without notice, then coming back and promising never to leave unanounced again, then dissapearing yet again also without notice and for almost a year, I did not much dare to show my face in here. Therefore I am really flattered that Lommy still counts me to continue with this. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it, especially as I know I don't actually deserve it.

On another note, I promise to find time to read through the RPG and start posting again. Hopefully, I'll manage to keep my word this time.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #550
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

No problem, Dim, I think all of us have faded every now and then. And me right now, I have not had the time to pick up LotR and me&Groin's notes... but I shall do that tomorrow (really) because I just finished my schoolwork so I'll have nothing more important to do.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #551
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Okay, folks, I'm about to post.

The colony will be evacuated, but a considerable number of warriors will stay by the gates* and keep Orcs at bay for a while longer, and keep watch on the movement of the Bane. I was thinking Trór himself would actually stay. If you have warrior characters, they may stay as well, but most of the colony would probably move to the inner parts of Moria to be safe. I was thinking Náli would probably be Trór's "steward" there.

After we have been evacuated, the next big thing is a series of battles when the Orcs flood over. I think this would be happening within a week (game time). They take the Bridge and the second hall, Náli, Lóni and Frár among others will die.

Then we'll flee to the western gate and try to get out of Moria, but too late! The watcher in the water is blocking the way out and the survivors flee back to the eastern parts** and die in the final battle in the Chamber of Mazarbul

*because we have this far ignored/forgotten the fact that in LotR Ori writes in the book of Mazarbul that they may yet hold the gates for long.

**need to come up why.

So, all in all, very cheerful, isn't it?

I'll give you posting directions once I've posted and got this moving again.

Mnemo, if you want to adopt a Dwarf, there's Kath's Hepti & Svior. She never wrote anything for either of them and said she's not coming back. You could also consider Groin's Nîsa (scroll down the linked page). If you'd prefer somebody else, I can tell you if they're available once I've (probably in vain) PMed all the others for one last time.

I'm not sure if I can finish my post before I leave for work, but if not, I'll post it once I come back home (after also seeing my friends, so I think it would be technically tomorrow my time, maybe some eight hours from now).
Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #552
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nice outline, Lommy. I think that might give us a bit more of a punch to go on.

Quote:
If you have warrior characters, they may stay as well, but most of the colony would probably move to the inner parts of Moria to be safe. I was thinking Náli would probably be Trór's "steward" there.
Sounds good to me. Obviously, my good old Lóni and Náli are staying (in order to be there to die when the time comes )

Quote:
*because we have this far ignored/forgotten the fact that in LotR Ori writes in the book of Mazarbul that they may yet hold the gates for long.
Curious question: Didn't he actually write that they could hold them for long, "IF..."? In such a case, we might also include some interesting "if" which goes wrong in the end and so the Orcs, as a result, break through.

Quote:
**need to come up why.
I think that's quite clear why - there is the lake (at this time even larger than at the time of the Fellowship's passage!) and the Watcher. Dwarves probably can't swim very well (if at all), and even if they could, you have children there. There is no way to get past the lake* for a band of refugees, and the only chance is therefore - what? Perhaps false hope that the warriors have been succesful to hold the gates, or that they have weakened the Orcs enough so that there is a way to defeat them - or maybe a hope that they have spread all over Moria to loot and there will be a chance to breach through their scattered forces to the East Gate and out on that end. The Watcher, from the brief encounter, in the Dwarves' minds gets a terrifying undefeatable quality, perhaps equalled with that of the Balrog, so encountering the Orcs is a preferrable option for them (also taking to account that people do not need to behave so rationally under such circumstances - especially taking to account that Óin, the likely leader of the refugee group, just became eaten in a rather unexpected encounter).

*I guess portraying this will be initially "my job", as Óin is the one whose case becomes the exemplary eating (resp. being eaten). I am looking forward to that and I am resolute in taking this as my responsibility and portraying this scene clearly enough so that it becomes obvious that there is no way to the West for the Dwarves. But that's still a long way ahead, of course
Old 04-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #553
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Questions or amendments?

The Hall of Hundred Pillars is a place I just invented. It would be situated somewhere rather middle in Moria, but less than a day's march from the east gates.

Basically, most of the professional warriors will stay at the gates with Trór, while the seasoned non-soldier warriors would be serving as a sort of militia and protecting the civilians (who are not supposed to be in any danger as long as the gates hold). I haven't decided yet who's to command this "militia", probably Lóni, Óin, Ori or this commander Brambor (who is a random NPC). Any suggestions?

And as for the posting guidelines, there's not much to say - just write what your characters think and do during the three hours.

PS. I was thinking that some of Trór's warriors would be assisting the evacuation by carrying the wounded who can't walk themselves. This would be told to anybody at the "hall of healing" (or wherever the wounded are) by the healers, as soon as the head of healers (whoever s/he is) is notified about this...
Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #554
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Basically, most of the professional warriors will stay at the gates with Trór, while the seasoned non-soldier warriors would be serving as a sort of militia and protecting the civilians (who are not supposed to be in any danger as long as the gates hold). I haven't decided yet who's to command this "militia", probably Lóni, Óin, Ori or this commander Brambor (who is a random NPC). Any suggestions?
Not Lóni, in any case. Lóni is supposed to stay close to the eastern end and die And Óin will at least not wish to accept that post eagerly - he is a "scout", after all. I think Óin might sort-of have an important role, but he probably shouldn't have a role such as this, as he would be more into the logistics-part of the move.

Quote:
PS. I was thinking that some of Trór's warriors would be assisting the evacuation by carrying the wounded who can't walk themselves. This would be told to anybody at the "hall of healing" (or wherever the wounded are) by the healers, as soon as the head of healers (whoever s/he is) is notified about this...
The wounded are in the First Hall (you can check that on the previous page). I don't know who's in charge, Nisa might have an important word there, but not sure.

I am probably going to write something now, even if it was to be short. Btw, rereading about my characters, it's quite interesting. I suggest everybody to do that if you need a kick to make you again interested in the game
Old 04-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #555
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, so I have posted - and looks like I even managed to keep up with my (in)famous definition of "short"! So for all you others, folks... go ahead and post something too, don't be shy and don't hold yourselves back! It's fun once you get back to it!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #556
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Reporting for duty ;)

My post is up. It was a bit awkward at first but I managed to get in the mood quite quickly. Let me know if there is anything that needs to be altered in any way.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #557
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Just to let you know:

Eorl of Rohan is hosting a new RPG, Homeward Bound. The Discussion Thread is up for your perusal at present and will open soon to take on players.

~*~ Pio
Old 04-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #558
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Good to see people post (and make good posts). Dim, nothing needs to be altered in your post. I will try to come up with a post for either of my characters before Monday!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #559
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Hi and sorry for such a lousy attempt to revive the RPG,

my spring has just been incredibly busy and now I'll soon be off for a five-week trip abroad and after that my life will be quite hectic until mid-August. After that I should be able to start afresh kicking this RPG onwards as my autumn will be less busy than my spring has been (somebody whom I've spent a lot of time with during the past year will not be in Finland so I will have lots of new extra time in my hands).

So, hope you people are still here and interested in August/September... if you're enthusiastic totally feel free to write during the summer too (that would be great) but I'm just warning you I won't be here to drag the storyline forwards...
Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #560
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

Is the plan still to try and finish this up come August? I'm hoping so since I would like to see this wonderful RPG finished.