The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-05-2004, 11:01 PM   #1
Annantar
Pile O'Bones

Annantar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting If you could change the world now for Middle-Earth, would you do it?

Think about it! I know I have. I love Middle-Earth, and I wish that it could be real. Whatever I could do to make me believe I would do it. U never know There could be some planet out there with elves, hobbits, orcs, wizards, ect.... Lol I know I'm a dreamer! But at least it's a nice thought. But if u could get away from here for everything Tolkien has to offer and trade EVERYTHING...would u do it?

Either yes or o will work I don't care...I just think it's an interesting question and want to know. Thanx!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:26 AM January 07, 2004: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 01-06-2004, 02:00 AM   #2
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

But you also have to remember that in that world, their medical ability is not up to the standards of medical here. For instance, the dont have the technology for x-ray, you might die form a snake bite or appendicitis which is easily cured here.

This is why I would think twice. I would go if i were a doctor and knew everything about healing myself and those i love. I would also go if i knew how to make electricity and an x-ray machine or, well you know, basic medical machines.

Plus for all us women who were to go there, we could die from a little thing called Childbirth and i cant speak for other women here but i really do not want to die like that.

However. If i had a through knowledge of these things, i would go and take my knowledge to the people. So no matter how badly i wanted to go, i would have to think long and hard. My message here; Dont be hasty with wishes... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 03:59 AM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would gladly take the risk of dying in childbirth if I could swap this world for Middle-earth. I prefer herbs to x-rays, so medical standards aren't a worry.

And what's the point in swapping if you still want electricity? I would love to get away from it. I wouldn't ruin another world with the weird modern inventions we have to put up with.

Okay, so living without the internet may seem hard now, but to swap worlds would mean we didn't know electricity, computers, etc. would exist in the future, so we wouldn't have a need for these things.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:51 AM   #4
metropolis_part_one
Pile O'Bones

metropolis_part_one has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well how about if you retained your memories of this world when you joined Middle Earth. That was surely the point, as if you didn't retain them then Middle Earth would appear to you to be no better or worse than this one, as you wouldn't know any different.
But if you did retain your memories, you would become very frustrated. Why would you want to do things the hard way when you could do them the easy way if you had electricity? Also hygiene standards would be pretty abysmal.
But heard the roaring of the sea
metropolis_part_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

OK, if you so called Tolkienites knew anything, you would realise that we are in Middle Earth. This is the Seventh Age the War of the Ring was in the Third. That Age must have been thousands of years ago, before any religions were created. Sorry for ruining this thread.

But if i could i would like to move to the end of teh Third Age and the beginning of the Fourth.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #6
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Linaeve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Linaeve
Sting

Well, first of all, Middle Earth is a place, not a time, so whether we are in the seventh age or not is completely irrelevant, at least in my humble opinion. So, this thread still works, and you haven't ruined it [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

As for me . . . I would switch. I assume that for their medical needs, they had other means of obtaining aid than we do. And remember, they had the benefits of magic, so that would probably help some too, and I think that with magic, they're one step ahead of us regardless of their level of technology. According to the way I interpret magic, there are some things magic can do that technology just . . . can't.

I would just love to live in Rivendell. It's so beautiful! That's the main reason I'd want to switch into Middle Earth, though if I lived in Middle Earth I'd probably be a hobbit or a dwarf rather than an elf [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:35 PM January 06, 2004: Message edited by: Linaeve ]
Old 01-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #7
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i would most probably swap. I would love to live in Rivendell or Lothlorien during the Thrid Age. I think i would probably leave for Valinor at the end of the Third Age (assuming i could become an Elf).

If I had to become a man, i think i would like to be there during the reign of Denethor and the ascension of Aragorn.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:25 PM   #8
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would definately change the world into middle-earth. I would probably live in Edoras... or maybe be a Ranger and wonder in the woods like Aragorn did.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:23 PM   #9
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

No Way !!

About 12:30 last nite there were some very suspicious sounds on the street outside my house. But the most you have to fear in this world is danger from other people or animals. I don't think I could handle the possibility of three Nazgūl outside!

Quote:
Well, first of all, Middle Earth is a place, not a time
Actually, Tolkien wrote about Middle Earth to be in the same place as our world but in a different time. C.S. Lewis' world of Narnia, however, is at the same time in a different place.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:48 PM   #10
elenquesse
Pile O'Bones

elenquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elenquesse
Shield

I would want to live in ME at the beginning of the Fourth Age, when the world was being "reborn", so to speak, and good was flourishing. (I'd travel with Eowyn and Faramir to Ithilien.) It's kind of a shame that our world is now so ugly and foul, and if we could only turn back the clock, it would be interesting to see how our future might be different.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:55 PM   #11
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hmm, if we did still have our memories, im in the same boat as Aredhel. Basically becuase id be really ticked off if i died from something little which could have been prevented and i can see where she's coming from.

On the other hand, if we had no memories from here, SURE! It will give me a chance to bump off Lothiriel once and for all [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] , (and accidents do happen) and i would proabably reside in Edoras where i could see Éomer. If i was an elf, that would be cool also, but then i would have to leave poor Éomer or make a mortal decision. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
About 12:30 last nite there were some very suspicious sounds on the street outside my house. But the most you have to fear in this world is danger from other people or animals. I don't think I could handle the possibility of three Nazgūl outside!
Lol! If i saw Nazgūl riding down my street i would think ive had way to much coffee!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:48 PM January 06, 2004: Message edited by: Everdawn ]

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote