The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
More furry hobbit feet per second?

Back in Tolkien's day, movies were shown at 24 frames per second as Eru intended. Why mess with tradition? Modern technology is upsetting the ancient English way of doing things that made English country life special...

Preview of 'The Hobbit' in 48fps draws mixed reviews
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm really curious to see that footage projected. Apparently the preview went splat. I'm sure they'll be massaging it from now til Christmas.

It really is a shame, the rush to move the industry completely to digital. Without getting into the technical end of things, digital is simply not as versatile as film. But it's cheaper and faster and creates an easier workflow (in theory; constantly changing formats lead to all sorts of technical problems in post-production). I suppose they'll get there eventually, but will audiences become conditioned to this cheapened aesthetic in the meantime?
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I would say they're deliberate aiming for a hyper-real look, to go with the 3d. I mean, I think most of the commenters on the linked article (both for and against) are missing the point– in real life you *don't* see fast motion smoothly– your eyes just can't track it. And, of course, filmmakers know this perfectly well– so whatever Jackson's trying for with this, it's not straight realism.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The technology would be interesting, but if the movie is crap - or great - then the technology is secondary.

As evidence consider video games, which, when I was young, were made of huge blocks. Today we have almost reality, and yet some of the games are still unplayable (not that I would know).

If Peter Jackson filmed LotR in 3D, it may have looked even fancier, but we'd still have Arwen being called a "she-elf" at the Ford...
Old 04-28-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I can't watch 3D because I have astigmatism. No matter the content it makes you feel very ill indeed. Is a nightmare if I want to take the godson to the cinema in the holidays. There is usually about one thing that is of an age group he can watch but isnt' in 3D ... and it is packed...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

My sister has astigmatism too, you're not alone there. I just have bifocals... I don't mind 3D, and I haven't seen the Hobbit preview... My computer is too slow.