The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
Dark Lord
Pile O'Bones

Dark Lord has just left Hobbiton.
Hearts

Hello. I have been sick for almost a week now, and have been staying in bed, watching Lord of the Rings movies and looking at the deleted scenes and extended scenes on my iPad.

I came across this scene, and it probably is the most, sad scene in the trilogy in my opinion.

It's not the singing I am talking about, it's about the cry that Eomer gives out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8KnwKxJSIY

He did a brilliant job though.

Edit: Accidentally posted topic, so the title isn't finished. >.>

Anyway, just imagine.

Your father is dead. (Theoden is Eomers father or uncle?)
Your brother is dead.
And now your sister is dead and you thought she was safe at home?

(Sorry if got that all wrong, don't know much about Rohan and Theodens family).
Dark Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord View Post
Your father is dead. (Theoden is Eomers father or uncle?)
Your brother is dead.
And now your sister is dead and you thought she was safe at home?

(Sorry if got that all wrong, don't know much about Rohan and Theodens family).
Theoden is his uncle. It's not made all that clear in the film, though.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I met Karl Urban at a convention last year. He was very friendly, if obviously exhausted from the Dredd promotional tour. I like his work but it's a shame he always turns up in "modernisations" that I don't really enjoy or approve of - the films of The Lord of the Rings and the (to me) lamentably brainless reboot of the original Star Trek, although he was one of the best parts of the latter, and if anyone has seen Dredd it's a very enjoyable film for what it is.

Frankly I think Éomer was underused in the films, and I daresay most of the time which could have been his was re-allocated to Éowyn. I missed the development of his friendship with Aragorn in particular - there's no particular reason why he, not Erkenbrand, needed to arrive for the succour of the Hornburg in the film version. On a recurring note for me, the moment at the Pelennor when he discovers that Éowyn is apparently dead (especially after his relatively stiff-upper-lip reaction to the passing of Théoden) in the book is to my mind yet another missed opportunity in the films, with his reaction largely transplanted into Théoden's speech at the beginning of the battle, with less justification:

"Éowyn, how come you here? What madness or devilry is this? Death, death, death! Death take us all!"

"Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!"

The moment when Éomer, who has been so stolid for so long, utterly cracks in the face of the apparent death of his sister, is so powerful in my view that it would have been better in its proper time and place. But that might have distracted from magic green ghosts swarming all over elephant legs, I suppose.
Zigûr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Theodred, Theoden's son and heir killed at the Fords of Isen, was Eomer's cousin. However, Eomer and his sister had been effectively adopted by Theoden and raised in Edoras after their own father died.

---------------------

In the RK:EE (and at least one trailer) there is a shot of Eomer's mad grief on discovering Eowyn apparently dead on the field. But nothing showing either his generalship of the Rohirrim following Theoden's fall, nor of course his friendship (and meeting in the midst of battle) with Aragorn. That was, I agree, a far greater weakening of the character than substituting him for Erkenbrand strengthened it.