The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2017, 05:16 AM   #2721
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sure!

BELERIAND: Venture untruth and note well: be troubled, for here be webs of horror!

The straight part of the clue is at the end, and comes from the fact that there were webs of giant spiders in the land of BELERIAND. Frodo uses these exact three words (just prefaced by the past tense) to Sam when they are trapped in Shelob's Lair and the Lady's Phial shows that it is thick spiders' webs that are in their way:

'Come! Let us see what Sting can do. It is an elven-blade. There were webs of horror in Beleriand where it was forged. But you must be the guard and hold back the eyes. Take the star-glass and do not be afraid. Hold it up! Watch!'

So from the first part of the clue, we need to collect the right letters to end up with BELERIAND.

To 'venture' is to DARE.
An 'untruth' is a LIE.
The Latin for 'note well' is 'nota bene,' which is commonly abbreviated as NB and used in taking notes to flag up something that is very important to remember.

DARE + LIE + NB - and 'be troubled' is the anagram indicator, which means you have to trouble/mix/scramble those letters to end up with the answer. (Other words that indicate an anagram are spin/confuse(d)/muddle(d), etc.)

EDIT - I didn't know this would start a new page, so just to say that Nerwen was correct and it is now her go! (As posted on the last page).

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-18-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:25 AM   #2722
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
BELERIAND: Venture untruth and note well: be troubled, for here be webs of horror!

The straight part of the clue is at the end, and comes from the fact that there were webs of giant spiders in the land of BELERIAND. Frodo uses these exact three words (just prefaced by the past tense) to Sam when they are trapped in Shelob's Lair and the Lady's Phial shows that it is thick spiders' webs that are in their way:

'Come! Let us see what Sting can do. It is an elven-blade. There were webs of horror in Beleriand where it was forged. But you must be the guard and hold back the eyes. Take the star-glass and do not be afraid. Hold it up! Watch!'

So from the first part of the clue, we need to collect the right letters to end up with BELERIAND.

To 'venture' is to DARE.
An 'untruth' is a LIE.
The Latin for 'note well' is 'nota bene,' which is commonly abbreviated as NB and used in taking notes to flag up something that is very important to remember.

DARE + LIE + NB - and 'be troubled' is the anagram indicator, which means you have to trouble/mix/scramble those letters to end up with the answer. (Other words that indicate an anagram are spin/confuse(d)/muddle(d), etc.)

EDIT - I didn't know this would start a new page, so just to say that Nerwen was correct and it is now her go! (As posted on the last page).
Very kind, thank you.

And I am agog hahahah at the clue. Not in one million years would I have solved it.

I recall Taur Nu Fuin was where 'webs' were and in the shadow lands of the mountains....that was after Angrod and Aegnor fell after the Ninaeth what's it call Arnodiad I think....

Cheers, I'll stay tuned and see how we go
Old 06-18-2017, 06:17 AM   #2723
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

I studied it very hard hahaha (the guests just left) and I can see how the clue makes sense. There's the 'clue bit' about literals (webs of horror) and anagram mish mash stuff...the "NB" hahaha sorry, I DON'T see where nota bene came into it, except

EA!

hahahaha thanks for the assitance
Old 06-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #2724
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
PELENDUR: Swinger loses hesitation in a spin, but gets religion to reveal him.
TUMLADEN: Belly overstuffed in the valley?
ANNATAR: She runs back and forth to meet a sailor; a most fair-seeming one!

Let's try... PELENDUR

Pendulum ("swinger") - "Um..." (hesitation) + R.E. for Religious Education?

Exactly right. Over to Nerwen!
Thank you! Took me long enough!
Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #2725
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, it's one of those names from the Appendices that you have to look up. Not an easy or obvious one.

Thanks to your revival of this thread, I have caught the bug again and have been scribbling more clues.

Over to you.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #2726
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Okay, I'll have the next one up shortly.

In the meantime, the latest Werewolf game is still short two players. Would either of you care try your hand (or paw)?
Old 06-19-2017, 02:01 AM   #2727
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I won't have time for a couple of weeks, I'm afraid. I know that might sound hypocritical, when I am posting so much here, but cryptic clues are a sort of addiction to me, which I manage to slot in somehow ... is the werewolf game a role play game? I have never played one of those.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:19 AM   #2728
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
I won't have time for a couple of weeks, I'm afraid. I know that might sound hypocritical, when I am posting so much here, but cryptic clues are a sort of addiction to me, which I manage to slot in somehow ... is the werewolf game a role play game? I have never played one of those.
Nerwen, hahaha I'll no doubt require the entire fortnight to solve ur riddle, but I promise to try really hard and post regularly until Pevrinca returns.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:12 AM   #2729
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hi Ivriniel! I meant that I will continue to post in this thread and try to solve the clues/password, but that I won't have time for the werewolf game as well.

Maybe you understand role play games better than me and can teach me? When I have time to participate in one.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:14 AM   #2730
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

1420!

Quote:
Sort of. And sort of a weird sub-culture, on this site. This may give you the general flavour.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:20 AM   #2731
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Ring Next one!

Sorry for the delay- I've been busy the last few days. This one should be nice and easy.

1. Fabled vessel and preposition mingle, with monumental results.
2. A short chieftain tumbled, here.
3. Attempt bargain. Stir up to disclose observant member of Beleg club.
4. Await continental upheaval. May not be over your head.
5. Being sensational- disturb to reveal him.
6. Hunter adds a touch of Spain to find her- and it.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:28 AM   #2732
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

No problem lovely

Now, [note to self] HAHAHA Stavros, ur going to have fun making an idiot of yourself[/Note to self]

Thanx Nerwen for the Riddle.....please be patient as I make a series of no doubt, idiotic suggestions, but I am chuckling as I type...

Hope ur well by the way
Old 06-22-2017, 04:35 AM   #2733
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivriniel View Post
No problem lovely

Now, [note to self] HAHAHA Stavros, ur going to have fun making an idiot of yourself[/Note to self]

Thanx Nerwen for the Riddle.....please be patient as I make a series of no doubt, idiotic suggestions, but I am chuckling as I type...

Hope ur well by the way
I am, thankyou. And you?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:37 AM   #2734
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I am, thankyou. And you?
I am very well, Nerwen and smiling at the end of my day here, while I tidy up some written work due soon. It's winter here, but we've had spectacular sunshine.

I'll ponder your riddle and post shortly...if not tonight, then tomorrow, and best regards to you.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:37 AM   #2735
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Just to help everyone out- none of the answers to this one are particularly obscure, and there is a connection between them, although rather an odd one.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:39 AM   #2736
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Winter! Ah, you must be from Far Harad too?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:39 AM   #2737
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Just to help everyone out- none of the answers to this one are particularly obscure, and there is a connection between them, although rather an odd one.
Very good of you to go easy....I've had a look, and I've got some ideas about some of them.....(but then again, if you've seen my 'ideas' hahaha upstream, .....)

Back soon
Old 06-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #2738
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Is the first one Argonath? they are certainly monumental and the word could be broken down into ARGO - Jason's ship and an anagram of THAN which I suppose is a preposition.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #2739
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Thumbs up

Yep!

ARGONATH Fabled vessel and preposition mingle, with monumental results.
2. A short chieftain tumbled, here.
3. Attempt bargain. Stir up to disclose observant member of Beleg club.
4. Await continental upheaval. May not be over your head.
5. Being sensational- disturb to reveal him.
6. Hunter adds a touch of Spain to find her- and it.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #2740
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That's clever! I was trying to use Vingilot as a vessel, as I couldn't think of any other Middle-earth ships with names.

2. I don't think this is right, but a chieftain is a leader, and if you shorten leader to lead it is an anagram of DALE.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #2741
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh I thought of arc first. I suppose I thought our world first because Vingilot isn't exactly a fable within the context of ME

Old 06-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #2742
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I was thinking 'fabled' in the loose sense of known/famous. Earendil's was quite a story.

Quite flummoxed on the rest of the clues!

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-22-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #2743
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I don't know it was one of those that came quickly. I just thought arc first then wondered if there were a character Arcon then thought oh not it is Argon... and then it was simple..apart from not being instantly sure if than counted as a preposistion.

Anyway I have ideas about elements but not to point of guessing yet.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #2744
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

6. NIMRODEL. Nimrod = hunter, plus the Spanish word el. Nimrodel is a woman (her) as well as a thing (a river), (it).

Hmmm ... although I'm not 100% sure about Dale, I'm sensing a connection with water. Nimrodel and Argonath have river connections, and Dale is on or near a lake, I think?

But then, Moria could work for 2 if it's a literal tumbling and a literal (dwarf) short chieftain (and Dale sort of could as well).

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-22-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #2745
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
If water is the common theme is the password Anduin?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #2746
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I thought of that, but thought 2 was Dale. Nar or Nain could be the dwarf, but the clue seems to suggest the answer is a place.

No doubt you're right and all my dwarfy guesses are wrong.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #2747
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ok so

A Short Chieftain Tumbled, here.

Nindalf

A short chieftain
Gandalf shortened to Dalf

Tumbled
Well plenty of soldiers fell in the Dead marshes which is part of Nindalf...

The comma is throwing me off but I feel here just completes the grammatical sentence? Also indicates the answer is a place.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #2748
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
That's clever! I was trying to use Vingilot as a vessel, as I couldn't think of any other Middle-earth ships with names.

same.... that's a first for me ....still wrong though hahahah
Old 06-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #2749
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Keep thinking Telcontar for the last one, cause it contains TOCAR, Spanish for touch. But there's no hunter, and while Estelyn Telcontar may explain the she, I can think of nothing to explain the it. So not Telcontar, but maybe others will have more luck with anagrams.

Edit: oops, missed Pervinca's Nimrodel. That makes a lot more sense.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #2750
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Morsul has the password (though "water" is not the common theme). Well done!

ARGONATH Fabled vessel and preposition mingle, with monumental results.
N A short chieftain tumbled, here.
D Attempt bargain. Stir up to disclose observant member of Beleg club.
U Await continental upheaval. May not be over your head.
I Being sensational- disturb to reveal him.
NIMRODEL Hunter adds a touch of Spain to find her- and it.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #2751
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

To clarify- as with my last one, the password is the theme. (Recall that the Nimrodel is a tributary of a tributary of the Anduin).

So, by popular demand, let's tackle #2.

Quote:
6. NIMRODEL. Nimrod = hunter, plus the Spanish word el. Nimrodel is a woman (her) as well as a thing (a river), (it).

Hmmm ... although I'm not 100% sure about Dale, I'm sensing a connection with water. Nimrodel and Argonath have river connections, and Dale is on or near a lake, I think?

But then, Moria could work for 2 if it's a literal tumbling and a literal (dwarf) short chieftain (and Dale sort of could as well).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Ok so

A Short Chieftain Tumbled, here.

Nindalf

A short chieftain
Gandalf shortened to Dalf

Tumbled
Well plenty of soldiers fell in the Dead marshes which is part of Nindalf...

The comma is throwing me off but I feel here just completes the grammatical sentence? Also indicates the answer is a place.
Not Dale or Nindalf. The "short chieftain" is literal; "tumbling" is not. The comma is just to emphasize that the answer is a place (it's not grammatically required).
Old 06-23-2017, 06:23 AM   #2752
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Could the third one be DEAGOL? He was killed untimely, if not due to mistaken identity, like Beleg, and whilst on a fishing trip on the ANDUIN, and the first part of his name is almost 'deal,' so it attempts a bargain.

Also, he's observant as he found the Ring? Although I think that was probably luck (and in the event very bad luck, for him).

Err ... can a LOG be an observation? (Trying to account for the letters).

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-23-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:35 AM   #2753
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

NAROG has NAR, but it's from the wrong age, so didn't coexist with the Anduin. Unless not all previous waterways were destroyed in the War of Wrath.

There is actually a river NORBOURN in the Shire, which has the first three letters of Nori ... but he wasn't really a chieftain, and I can't account for the remaining letters.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #2754
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Pipe

Yes, it is DEAGOL. You are right about "bargain"; "attempt" however, refers to the word "go", made from the remaining letters. For the other part- Deagol is "observant" because he found the Ring and also because he is described as "sharper-eyed" (than Deagol). He is in the "Beleg club" due to having been killed by a close friend.

For N- no, it is not Narog or Norbourn. The Shire is extremely relevant however (though the answer is not in the Shire).

ARGONATH: Fabled vessel and preposition mingle, with monumental results.
N A short chieftain tumbled, here.
DEAGOL: Stir up to disclose observant member of Beleg club.
U Await continental upheaval. May not be over your head.
I Being sensational- disturb to reveal him.
NIMRODEL: Hunter adds a touch of Spain to find her- and it.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #2755
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

If it's crucially connected with the Shire but not in it, how about NENUIAL? (Lake Evendim). I don't think the short chieftain can be a dwarf, though .... The first three letters of leader are in there, but ....

It's also 'lieutenant' minus three letters, but for 'short' I'd expect to lop the letters off the beginning or the end.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-23-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #2756
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

No, it's not a dwarf. There are other undersized people in Middle-earth...

As for the actual answer- remember, the theme/password is ANDUIN. All the answers have some connection to that.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #2757
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The NAITH ('Thain' tumbled). It's between the Anduin and the Celebrant.

I was put off looking for hobbits because I thought the chieftain element started with N. Nob is the only hobbit whose name starts with an N (I know this from when I put together my All Tooks password).

INGWE is almost an anagram of 'being.' (And weeing).

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-23-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #2758
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
U = UNDEEPS, the bends in Anduin? Can't put it together, but an un-deep place may not be quite tall enough to go over one's head.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #2759
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ah, yes ... I suppose await would be 'pend' and the continental bit would be the EU.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #2760
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

ISILDUR - anagram of is (being) and lurid (sensational)?