Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2002, 09:54 AM   #521
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

"Nitir, I would be glad to help in any way that I can. Thank you for asking me."

Nitir smiled, and pressed Lindo's hand, and he clasped hers, suddenly missing his own mother, and grateful for Nitir's friendship. She lingered, watching him.

Lindo puzzled over what Nitir might have meant by "Strange visitors". Ancalimon had been odd enough, but Nitir was hinting at someone even more strange than he. Ancalimon had already changed his life, though, and not just by bringing his pony into the camp. Lindo studied Nitir, and thought about hope. He wondered what Ancalimon had said to Nitir in private; she already seemed more hopeful. Lindo wished that his own hope would come soon. He had some more grieving to do first, he knew.

"Do you know what Ancalimon's name means?" Lindo asked Nitir.

She shook her head. "Perhaps Maura knows."

Lindo gazed back at the barrow. Nitir thought he was about to say something, and she waited. But he did not speak. Finally she asked him, "Lindo, what are you thinking?"

He sighed, not wanting to talk, and turned to her. "Why don't you look, and see?"

Nitir was caught by surprise. Did Lindo trust her that much? And did she have the skill to explore his thoughts? She thought of Angara; Angara had always done all the work, presenting her thoughts for Nitir to read, and she had simply accepted it. This was intimidating.

Lindo met her gaze, and replied, "Perhaps today is not a good day to try. But someday soon you can learn."

Nitir watched him. "All right, " she said, "another day. But now answer my question. What are you thinking?"

He shook his head. "I was thinking about what Kemba said this morning, that I am welcome at his table anytime; that he would have been proud to have me in his household, and that he would have called me his son."

"That was kind of him to say, " Nitir smiled.

"I know, " Lindo replied. "But nevertheless, it's very painful. It makes me miss my own parents more. And it only proves to me that Niphredil is-- that I miss her, and that-- that I can't be part of her family now."

"Why?" Nitir asked, baffled.

"Because it wasn't meant to be, " Lindo replied, darkly. "I am meant to stay with the little children, and be separated from Kemba and his family."

"Nonsense! It means nothing of the sort, " Nitir snapped, indignant. "It only means that we haven't understood your needs. If you want to visit Kemba and his family during dinnertime, then we will arrange for that. Perhaps we can even arrange for you to spend the night there sometimes. We will do what we can, Lindo. You only needed to speak."

"Nitir, " he said, "I am not sure that I want to."

"Why wouldn't you?" she replied, and watched him. When he didn't answer, she answered for him. "You can't keep withdrawing, Lindo. Maura wanted you to be with Niphredil's family for a reason. And unless you can convince him otherwise, I still believe that that is for the best. Starting tomorrow night, I want you to spend the dinner hour with Kemba at least once a week, preferably more. We will arrange for someone to watch the little ones during that time."

Lindo studied her, and realised that this was not a request. "Yes, Ma'am, " he replied evenly, and suddenly felt greatly comforted. He smiled at her, and then took one last look at the barrow, and turned to go inside the Workhouse.

-------------

Niphredil's family. He pondered that idea, and knew that it still hurt, and thought that he also knew one reason why. He still had something important to do for Niphredil.

Throughout that day, and the next few days afterward, as he exchanged one child for the next and prevented the teeming herd from crawling where they should not, Lindo's heart hovered over a sleeping form far away, and he sang, now a lullabye, now a lament, now a new song in praise of her gentle beauty that he would never forget. Those who came to visit saw fresh sorrow, but less sharp grief.

Had any visitors stopped by the nursery as evening fell, they might have seen, in Lindo, the beginnings of hope. Lindo studied the little faces that surrounded him all day, and that evening, they took on new meaning and new importance to him.

Perhaps, he thought, I will never have children of my own. But here, in this bleak ruin, daily, I am a father to twenty-one hungry children. Their future is woven with mine.

And perhaps Kemba can teach me how best to father them.

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 08-14-2002, 10:53 PM   #522
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Nitir hunched over the small table in the Workhouse. She was in the midst of pouring over lists of supplies and foodstuffs. Then she remembered the question Lindo had asked. She stopped her work for a moment and went over to the shelf which held a few books given to the Workhouse by one or other of the hobbit families. One of them was a dictionary of Elvish tongues. She thumbed through the section on Quenya until she found what she was looking for: Ancalimon -- "he who is most bright". She scribbled a note onto the scrap of paper giving the translation. Then she added a second sentence to the paper: "And have you set up your dinner with Kemba yet?" Might as well keep the pressure up a bit on the lad! She would drop this off for him before she headed to bed.

But now she needed to turn back to her unending lists. The frozen ghost of winter would soon be upon them, and she knew it would not be easy. Ancalimon's much-needed provisions included woolen blankets and hide coats which the Orcs had fortunately dismissed as worthless. While these would help, they were not enough.

She reminded herself to ask Tomba Bullroarer if he and his lads could bring down some small game. The soft fur of the animals would keep the children warm, and the meat could be smoked or salted and set aside for the time of bitter cold. Yet Nitir feared the hobbits would not find hunting easy. The forests had been so gutted that there were few beasts left in nearby dens or burrows.

How strange that she should spend hour after hour immersed in such details. Tales of lore never mentioned unglamorous topics like winter coats or smoked meats. But Nitir recognized that, without thoughful planning, the lives of all her children could be jeopardized. So she sighed and went back to work.

The evening shadows darkened, and Nitir's candle gutted low. She heard a scratching noise and glimpsed the silhouette of a very large black rat skittering along the wall, heading straight for the room where the infants slept. This was no light matter. The beast was hungry, and could do serious injury to a hobbit child. She snatched up her cudgel with venom and took direct aim. She had had considerable experience, and her first blow was a stunning success. The rat keeled over as did a considerable chunk of the old stone wall. She gingerly picked up the varmint by the tail and conveyed him out the door.

Then she knelt down to inspect the fallen masonry. Nitir tried poking and prodding the building stones back into the wall, but they seemed quite stubborn. Her fingers inched along the stonework towards the leering gap. She could feel the rough edges where the stones had broken off, and then she felt something else, something that didn't belong there. She pulled and wiggled the strange object, being careful not to tear or destroy it. Within five minutes, her efforts had been rewarded. She pulled out the dusty remains of a handwritten manuscript which looked about sixty years old.

Nitir glanced at the cover, but there was nothing written there. The chapters inside seemed to be in the language ofthe Noldor. Her heart began to pound quite fiercely as she read the words on the first page:

Quote:
Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth being written down by Andreth, Wise Woman of the House of Beor, Daughter of Boromir, Lord of Ladros, recorded in the year 409 when she had reached 48 years.
Recognition and excitement flooded over her. The name of this woman had come up before the hobbit council just that afternoon. When Nitir had defended some position concerning the children with her usual unrelenting vigor, Maura had thrown up his hands in exasperation. He had laughed and told the others that it was useless to resist, since Ancalimon had said Nitir bore an uncanny resemblence in methods and mind to Andreth of the House of Beor. And Andreth was one of the most stubborn and outspoken of all Eru's children as well as one of the most caring.

Nitir still wasn't sure if Maura meant this as a compliment or a poke. She would read the ledger tomorrow to find out just who this Andreth was. She rescued her pouch from a gigantc pile of childrens' clothing that needed to be taken down to the river and beaten clean on the rocks. She carefully tucked the precious ledger inside, delivered her note to where Lindo would find it in the next morning, and finally returned to the small room to settle in for the night.

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-15-2002, 01:46 AM   #523
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Angara call down the steps for Daisy. The elves, Kali, and Levanto were set to plan for their departure tomorrow to Númenor.

Veritas had found Pio's mapcase with several different detailed thematic maps of the island. Of greater interest was the green journal in which Pio had noted her travels to various places during the Second Age. Númenor with its five distinct areas had captured her interest and she had written detailed descriptions of each area.

Of special note was the harbor of Eldalondë which she had drawn on one of the journal pages.It was a meticulously done street map, with many notes written to the side referencing where were the best places to buy certain wares, or to seek information.

Veritas laid these treasures out on the large table she had set up on deck, and once Daisy had arrived, they put together a preliminary plan for their trip.

They agreed that this was to be a quick, scouting expedition - one that would give them enough physical landmarks by which they could then plan the eventual rescue mission on paper.

Daisy excused herself after they had finalized thier plans and ran as quickly as she could down the stairs to Bird's room.

'Bird?' she whispered, as she entered the room. 'Are you still here?'

'Of course I am!' came the tart reply. 'You didn't expect me to fly off with all of you on deck did you?'

'There's a new wrinkle in your plan to fly back and forth to the camp.' said Daisy, and then filled Bird in on the plan to be gone at least three days to Second Age Númenor.

'I'll figure something out.' said Bird. 'Now go back up on deck and tell me when they've all gone back to their rooms for the night.'

Daisy ran back upstairs and scouted the deck. No one remained there, so she turned to go back to Bird's room to give the 'all clear', when she remembered to look to the top of the main mast for the dragon.

There was Angara, stretched out along the cross beam, and looking at her like a cat with a mouse fixed in its sights.

Daisy bounded down the stairs and rushed into the room, closing the door firmly behind her. She took a deep breath and said,
'It's all clear, Bird, except for one big problem. It's Angara, and I think she knows something is not quite right.'

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-15-2002, 06:14 AM   #524
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

From the top of the mast the golden form of Angara lay curled around the crow's nest, outlined by the blaze of stars. Every once in a while, the dragon would raise her head, responding not to signs of danger so much as the spectacular, sights, sounds, and smells of the ocean at night.

But a small figure walking across the deck drew her attention. Angara lowered her head on the thin snake-like neck as she followed the progress of Daisy over to the railing.

"Good Evening, little halfling. Is sleep denied you?"

Daisy craned her neck up to see the form of the dragon looming over her, swaying slightly back and forth from the motion of the waves on the ship. She knew now how a partridge felt when the dark form of the falcon hovered above it.

"Ah...yes...I just couldn't seem to sleep, so I thought I'd try my hand at a little fishing. See if we could have something fresh for breakfast." She held up her long sapling fishing rod.

"What do you use for bait."

"Cricket. I found a cricket in the galley."

"One cricket? I doubt you'll catch much with that."

"Well, if nothing else, it will pass the time. My mum alway said nothing was better for sitting and thinking than fishing. Or just sitting, if you take my meaning."

"Well, I've seen the fish jumping under the moon, you may have some luck tonight. Don't stay up too late, though. There is much to do tomorrow."

Daisy stepped up to the rail, and leaning over, slowly unwound the line from around the sapling rod. Bird, in neekerbreeker form, clung desperately to the string and hook as the (to her) massive waves leapt higher and higher towards her. Once on the surface of the sea, she hoped that the waves would wash hook and line under the ship, out of sight of the watchful dragon.

The shock of the cold water rushed over Birdie, as a small bubble of air wrapped itself around her carapace. It would not last long, but the line and sinker were already being pulled under the keel.

Just as the moon-sparkled surface was disappearing behind the bulk of the ship, Bird saw the schools of mackerel swirling around her. One of them was eyeing her hungrily! Bird, now out of sight from those above, let go of the hook and instantly morphed into her dolphin form. The mackerel scattered in terror.

After a half hour, Daisy pulled the line up onto the deck. The hook was empty, and she shuddered at the sight. Hastily winding up her fishing gear, she called up to Angara: "Nothing biting after all. G'night!" and beat a slow retreat back towards the cabin.

Daisy threw the fishing rod in a corner and ran to her cabin. She jumped into her bed, fully clothed, and pulled the blanket up around her chin, curled into a ball of worry and fear. What had she done? Had she sent the skin-changer into the belly of a fish? Why had she agreed to such a hare-brained scheme?

Then suddenly, a soft, piercing whistle could be heard echoing through the wooden hull by Daisy's head. She sat up in bed, pressing her forehead against the rough wood, and called in a low voice, "Miss Birdie, is that you?"

A high, squealing voice answered back. "Yessss. I'm alright. Thank you, Daisy. I'll see you all when you come back from Numenor. Take care of Kali, and take care of yourself. Pio and Child would be proud of you."

"G'bye, Miss Birdie." Daisy pressed her ear against the hull, but all that could be heard now was the lapping of the waves, and far away, the faint, singing voices of the whale folk.

Daisy lay back in her bunk. Her immediate fears were diminished, but she lay awake for a long time, listening to the songs of the whales.

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-15-2002, 07:41 AM   #525
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The next morning, as Nitir clambered out of bed, a blast of cold air hit her as she threw back the covers and her feet hit the hard stone floor. Shivering, her teeth chattering, she ran to the nightstand only to find the water covered with a thin film of ice. Outside, in the main chldren's room, she could hear enormous noise and commotion. Fearing that the Orc commander might be banging at the front door, she raced to the children to make sure everything was alright. She didn't even bothering to slip on a skirt over her rstling petticoats.

But the cause of the commotion was clearly evident as she peered through the door looking at her unruly charges. The children were jumping up and down on their bedrolls, and running up to the windows with great glee, pointing and shouting. One of them had unlatched the door to the workhouse and propped it open with an old stool. And the biggest boys had pulled their breeches on and were racing about in the yard. One of them came in carrying something in his hand which he quickly let go of and hurtled across the room. A large gloppy snowball came careening across in front of Nitir's noise and squarely hit Lindo in the backside as he was turning to wash his hands at the frozen nightstand.

Nitir could not help giggling at the sight of Lindo with snow on his behind. She ran to the front of the building and glanced outside only to discover that there were already several inches of the white stuff collected on the ground, and it was still fiercely coming down from the heavens. It looked as if they were in for a very long, cold, and snowy day. There would be no chance for Bullroarer to take his lads out to hunt in such bad conditions.

Nitir hoped that their visitor, whoever he or she might be, would have the good sense to prepare for this unexpected storm. Then she turned about in the room and began the hard task of restoring order to the jumping, squealing children.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:59 AM   #526
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Lindo, absentmindedly brushing off his backside, turned, and looked at the scattered snow on the floor. His eyes gleamed. He bent down and carefully swept it all up. Nitir wondered if he would be upset, but that worry dissipated as she watched him sprint out through the door, add another half-handful, press it firmly, and drew back, eyes dancing, daring the boys.

The boys frantically gathered more snow of their own, and the fight was on.

Nitir smiled. This was not the Lindo of three days ago. She liked the difference.

So did the boys. After ten minutes of snowball fight, they were rolling and wrestling in the snow, all fourteen boys on top of Lindo. It ended when an orc-guard glared at them, and Lindo softly ordered everyone back inside. But the battle had been glorious, and none of the boys would forget it.

--------------

Late that evening before they went to bed, Lindo gathered the boys who had been in the snowball battle. He had some lines already made up, and the boys added a few. Before they slept, they had all learned the tune and at least one verse of "The Snowbattle Of Laedros". It opened with a verse about the purity and beauty of the newly fallen snow, and two verses relating Ancalimon's telling of the tale, that Finrod give the men and hobbits Laedros in the realm of Dorthonion. Then the heroic snow battle raged for another three verses, including a list of every boy who fought in the battle. But they liked best that the seventh and final verse gave a description of the snow-wrestling, and Lindo's resounding defeat and burial under the fourteen snow-covered hobbit-boys.

The verse about the purity of the snow became their battle-cry whenever snow fell that year, and the fourteen boys wore their allegiance like a badge, calling themselves the Valiant SnowHobbits of Laedros. They strutted a little too much for Azra's taste. Lindo laughed.

It wasn't quite what Nitir had had in mind. But it was a beginning, and the boys loved it, and she hoped that more songs would follow. She was not disappointed.

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 08-15-2002, 10:08 AM   #527
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The snowstorm raged on. Days passed and then a full week. Nitir and the others on the council were surprised by the fierceness of the weather. They had suspected the season might prove harsher than usual, since the few animals seen scampering through the woods had sported thick, luxuriant coats. But none of the hobbits, even those oldest and wisest in weather lore, had predicted the squalls would start so early.

All work in the fields was suspended. Men and women still labored in the timber ranges, cutting down the great pines. Even this, however, proved more and more difficult. They had to trudge a long way to reach the stands of virgin forest. But the huge drifts of snow, which loomed like cliffs overhead, made it harder for the small hobbits to push their bodies forward.

It was the Orc commander who finally put an end to this charade. The Orcs had no love for these wet, frigid conditions, but couldn't allow the timber cutters to venture on their own without the guards. Bit by bit, the system of labor began breaking down. By the end of that first week, Durshkakh ordered the Orcs back to their warm buildings, which had been well fortified by clever hobbit hands before the winter began.

The hobbits themselves were sent out on chores even in the heavy blizzards. Both adults and children gathered firewood, or went hunting for game. A great deal of the wood ended up in the fireplaces of the Orcs, but not all. Nitir noticed how the hobbits were becoming increasingly skilled in the arts of deception and burglary. They managed to conceal logs for their own use in small caches which the Orcs never found. Some of the boys even learned how to pick locks. They grew adept at slipping in under the very noses of the guards and coming away with treasured armloads of food and kindling which were so desperately needed by the community.

Maura worried about the effect all this might have on the lads' behavior and outlook. But, for once, Nitir could offer reassurance. She sensed that, at least for hobbits, such skills had their rightful place in life. Indeed, she felt quite certain that hobbits should learn more about the ways of secrecy and stealth. She assured Maura that hobbits would be a free people someday. And the worst that would come of such burglaring was a tendency for youngsters to borrow mushrooms and cabbages from their neighbors' gardens

Right now, however, Nitir was not thinking about gardens, or crops coming to ripeness under the summer sun. She stood in front of the Workhouse, leaning against a heavy block of ice. She was pushing and pulling it with all her strength, trying to bring it inside with the intention of warming it near the fire. That way, there would be drinking water for the children. Before she forced the door shut, she turned to look at the bleak landscape about her. Its frozen rivers and chilling winds did not look very hospitable for any visitor who dared to brave the roads. But perhaps there was another way. She turned her eyes towards the heavens. But all she saw were swirling snowflakes that plummetted down in unending lines and threatened to block out the light of the sun.

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-15-2002, 01:02 PM   #528
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It was early evening. Most of the children had made their way back to the Workhouse from their errands and chores. Dozens of steaming wet coats and breeches were strung along a wooden frame that had been set near the fireplace. Azra was portioning out a bowl of hot soup and a piece of break for each child. They were clamoring for more, but Nitir shook her head. She was already beginning to worry whether the food would hold out until the snow subsided, and spring returned to the earth.

Then there was a loud knock at the front and the door pushed open with a well placed kick. Ban and Kemba crowded inside, their icy breath forming rings in the air. Each of the men dragged behind them several long lines which were loaded down with good-sized fish. The perch and trout that were attached must have numbered well over a hundred.

Ban grinned and reached out, pulling Zira to his side. He explained to her, "All the men went down to the river and cut holes in the ice. We've been fishing for hours, and we're half frozen. But we had good luck. How are you at cooking fish stew?" That night the whole community, adults and children, jammed together in the Workhouse, ejoying the warmth of its large fire and feasting on fish stew.

Nitir stood by the large pot doling out generous portions as if she were a queen awarding honors to her subjects. She could not explain it, but she was happy, in some ways happier than she had been in a very long time. It didn't make sense, given the situation she was in. But she was grinning and looking at everyone around her who seemed to be having a good time.

Azra and Lindo were chattering with each other and actually giggling at the antics of some of the young ones. Ban was tossing his son into the air, and Zira was beginning to play tunes on her flute. Nitir shook her head in astonishment. When she had made the decision to come here, she had thought about so many things. Long nights had been spent pouring over battle strategies and maps, and puzzling out strange riddles. She had wondered what hardships might be involved, and dreamed of meeting Elves whose names were blazoned in books of lore. But she had never thought about the people themselves, at least her own people whose names didn't appear in any of the books. She remembered how she had scrutinized those pictures of early hobbits, and had felt a bit uncomfortable. The hobbits' coats looked ragged, and, underneath their fingernails, there were slivers of rich brown soil . They didn't speak mind-to-mind as the Elves did, nor were they permitted to sail to the Blessed Lands. And their burrows were undoubtedly inferior to the fine homes she had known.

Nitir felt ashamed and humbled, when she remembered how she had felt. How wrong she had been! Although Nitir had only vague memories of the Shire, she sensed that hobbits like Maura and Lindo were actually more open to Elves and lore and adventure than hobbits from her own age had been. Even more than this, Nitir realized that this community, and these people were beginning to tug very hard at her heart. She would have no trouble walking out of the Orc's prison camp and slamming the door in their faces. But walking away from Maura and Lindo and Zira.....now that was a much different thing.

Old 08-15-2002, 05:34 PM   #529
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Ancalimon had reached the area adjacent to the Fens of Serech in the very late hours of the night. He hid the old cart in a stand of trees and removed the bridle and harness from the pony. He bade the pony come back when he should call again, but until that time he was free to forage and wander where he might.

The man stood in a small, dark clearing and called out with his mind.

I have need of swift travel, O King. Will you bear me?

He stood in silence beneath the cloudy, starless sky and waited.

As you wish, friend. came the reply.

Then came the rush of mighty wings as the great eagle drew near the clearing, and then landed silently. He spoke urgently to Ancalimon's mind.

Come! Mount swiftly! We must be away before any see us. Where are you bound?

To the sea. To the ship, from whence came the winged dragon.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:00 PM   #530
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

The day after the fish stew, an unexpected guest did come to the Workhouse.

Lindo and Azra, forced into close quarters by the storm and allies in their labors, at last began to joke as much as they quibbled. And even the edges of their arguments were less sharp than they had been.

That turned out to be an especially good thing for Ancalimon's pony, who showed up unexpectedly at the frozen river while Kemba was fishing. The pony poked his nose into the fishing hole to drink, and the ice cracked perilously under his weight, and Kemba chased him off. But he did not go far, and when Kemba walked back to the camp with his catch of fish, the pony halted at the edge of the pine woods, and waited.

Kemba went to the Workhouse, and found Lindo. "You've got a visitor. A thirsty, shaggy, cold, four-legged visitor. Ancalimon's pony is waiting for you outside."

Lindo's jaw dropped. He spun, and a torrent of pleading was on his lips, but he never had to say them; Azra waved him out the door.

He ran outside, squinting into the driving snow, and plunged towards the woods; a nicker answered him, and the pony greeted him gladly. Lindo happily stroked his face, and itched his ears for him. He brushed the snow off of the pony's back, and wondered how he was going to explain to Nitir that this pony needed water, and grass or hay, and that they would somehow have to hide him from the orc-guards so that he wouldn't become their next meal.

But the pony wasn't worried. He reached up, dug his chin hard into Lindo's shoulder, gave Lindo's cheek a snowy, rather slobbery nuzzle, and then snorted, and turned, and purposefully walked off into the forest.

Lindo followed him, curious and surprised that he was not headed for the buildings; but the pony led him on for fifteen minutes, away from the pine woods, and emerged into a scrubby, thorny clearing of sorts. Lindo was hugely relieved to see long seedheads of grasses and hay poking several feet up through the snow, and he watched as the pony began to paw down to the frozen grass. He found some, and picked his head up and watched Lindo as he chewed it.

"Right, " Lindo said, smiling. "I guess I don't have to understand how you found it, but you'll be all right here. Just stay away from the orcs. I don't think they'd find this place interesting."

But the children would. And for those who wanted to find it, it wasn't that hard to find. Lindo returned to the Workhouse, and summoned the Fourteen Valiant Snowhobbits of Laedros, and after solemnly binding them to deep and utter secrecy, let them in on the pony's location and need for water. They all settled in on a routine of melting snow and carrying water to the pony. Lindo explained that all the water they took to the pony had to be melted by the Valiant Snowhobbits, and must never come from the supplies that Nitir melted. The boys took their job very, very seriously, and the pony never lacked for water. He even had some Valiant Snowhobbit assistance in digging for grass in the snow.

Several younger boys wanted to know what the extra water was for, and after being sworn to absolute secrecy, they were made Assistant Junior Snowhobbits and entrusted with minor ponyhelping duties. The Assistant Junior Snowhobbits sometimes even practiced strutting like the Valiant Snowhobbits, but only when Azra wasn't looking. Snowball target practice was held on alternate afternoons, duties permitting.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:48 PM   #531
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

The trip north up the coast was not as cold or wearing as the last, but Bird swam with a single minded purpose seldom seen in the dolphin folk. By dawn she had arrived at a point on the coast where the land jutted far into the sea, and was crowned by a vast, high peak which was touched by the morning light.

"Mount Taras", she breathed, marveling at the sight of huge, cone shape, the snow on its peak lit by the sun, and its feet bathed by the waves. Then Bird thought at first that she had stared at the sun too long, for a black speck seemed to emerge from the mountain, or over it, and was rapidly growing as it swept down towards the sea.

She watched, enrapted, as the shape took form, the blur growing wings that carried it effortlessly down, down the mountainside as if it were skiing on air. Finally, the changling recognized the massive features of Thorondor. The Eagle of the Valar swooped down close to the sea, Bird spinning in the water as he passed over her, making his own waves in the wind of his passing. The Eagle may have noticed the small, grey dolphin-head bobbing in the water as he passed, but he did not acknowledge the creature or let it distract him from his course. He flew on, to the south, seeking a lone ship on the lonely sea.

But as he passed and dwindled in the distance, Bird had shook her head in disbelief. For she would have sworn that she had seen the figure of a man, clinging like a limpet to the Eagle's broad back.

She watched Thorondor until he disappeared on the horizon and was gone. Then with a sigh, Birdie turned and continued her journey. It would be dark before she reached the Rainbow Cleft.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:16 PM   #532
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The clouds rolled apart for one brief moment, and the silver wash of moonlight drew the attention of the dragon on her mast-top perch.

She looked hard into the distance. Something very large was flying swiftly toward the ship. Now roused to full alert, she sent a directive toward the unknown creature.

Identify yourself! Approach no closer!

She glided out over the water on a path taking her toward the nearing shadow. Growing larger as she flew, she sent out a warning to stop once again.

It is Thorondor who approaches. sent the flying creature. I bear a rider who desires to speak with you before you sail this morning. Allow us to approach, dragon, if you will.

The great eagle flew above Angara, and dropped the man upon the dragon's back. Seeing that his rider had been transferred safely to the dragon, he wheeled in a tight half-circle in the air and made to return to Beleriand.

Thank you, my friend! came the thought of the man. The eagle dipped his wing in response and flew on.

'A man who speaks mind-to-mind?!' thought Angara to herself. 'This cannot be! I have never heard of it!'

And yet it is so. came the thought from the man as they approached the deck of the ship.

Angara allowed him to disembark as she hovered near the deck, then she returned to a smaller size.

She looked closely at the man now standing on the deck and took the essence of him in with all her senses.

'You have the form of a man, and a man's smell,' she said, wrinkling her snout, 'yet there is somehting more to you not quite concealed by a young man's simple face and the dishevelled clothing which you wear. Your eyes are much too keen, and they have a piercing intelligence which lies behind them.' She circled him slowly, sensing no fear of her. 'And then, of course, there is the problem of a "man" who calls on the King of Eagles for a ride and is given one.' She came once more round him once again to face him.

'Who are you?' she asked, her words sliding softly into the air between them. 'And what is it that brings you here to the Lonely Star.'

'Ancalimon - that is what I am named.' said the man. 'And I wish to go to Númenor with you.'
Old 08-15-2002, 10:36 PM   #533
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Daisy slept a fitful sleep. Her thoughts hurtled, pell mell, between the 'escape' of Bird to see Child and Rose, and the fear of facing the unknown in Númenor this very day. For it was almost day, though the sun had not yet risen. She dragged her protesting body out of bed and thought to go upstairs to clear her whirling thoughts with a breath of freah sea air.

She heard Kali stir in Mithadan's room as she passed it. Looking in, she saw he was sitting up on the bed, fading starlight shining softly through the opened porthole. The hobbit motioned for him to come on deck with her.

As they stepped on deck they saw the dragon circling the man. The voices were too quiet to hear the questions or their answers, so they crept closer,holding each other's hand, hoping to find out who had come so mysteriously to the ship.

Hiding in the shadows, their eyes strained toward the figure within the dragon's circle. A small shaft of moonlight washed over his features. Daisy felt Kali's hand tighten on hers and then pull her forward quickly as he stood and approached the man.

'Kali! What are you doing?' she whispered fiercely to him.

The hobbrim had drawn them very near the man, who made no move toward them. Kali reached out his free hand to the man and called out in disbelief. 'Ancalimon!'

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-16-2002, 12:02 AM   #534
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As evening set in, Nitir was pleased to see that the snowflakes were no longer falling quite so heavily. She took advantage of the break in the weather to go out and have a look at the pony Lindo was hiding not far from camp. She had heard Azra and Lindo and the boys giggling about their four-footed friend earlier that afternoon. For one wild moment, Nitir had wondered if the pony could possibly be more than just a pony. But when she squared off with him and stared him straight in the eye, she was quite certain that he was indeed a pony.

This wasn't quite the visitor she'd hoped for. But she was glad to see him. He'd already done a great deal to raise the spirits of Lindo and his increasingly devoted contingent of Snowhobbits. And there was the added bonus that sharing secrets had pulled Lindo and Azra much closer together.

Nitir glanced around nervously to make certain no one else was looking. Then she surreptitously slid an apple from her pocket and fed it to him. It was one of the few scrawny ones left from the fall harvest. She was suddenly struck with a wild desire to leap onto the pony's back and go riding into camp, but she wasn't sure that Lindo or the animal would appreciate her doing that. She wondered if the pony had a name.

Then she kissed the creature on the nose and shuffled back through the snow to the Workhouse. It had been over a week since she'd discovered the mysterious ledger. But the unexpected storm had caued so many mishaps and headaches that she'd never even managed to look at it again. She put her fingers into the broken wall one more time to make certain that the paper still lay within its secret place. Her fingers touched the soft vellum. Yes, it was there. And she vowed to herself that, on the next day, whatever else might come, she would take time to pour over these words.

Old 08-16-2002, 01:50 AM   #535
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The man knelt down on one knee and came face to face with the hobbrim. His face was wreathed in a large smile and his eyes twinkled in delight.

'Well met, my dear sea-hobbit! I did not think to see any of Ulmo's halfling children until a later Age! Yet it is only right that one of their race should greet them when we come to them.'

Veritas and Khelek had come up on deck in time to hear this last declaration of Ancalimon. They stared at him in wonder, a vague memory stirred, like a half remembered dream.

Daisy, still holding the hobbrim's hand, stepped up protectively beside him. She had no concern for who this man might be, but only that her friend not get hurt. 'Do you mean to tell us you are here to take us to Kali's family, sir?' she demanded of him.

'No, I cannot take you to them. That quest is for you and your companions alone. But, I have come to see your feet take the shortest path. The fate of the hobbits and of the hobbrim is intimately entwined with that of Arda, and should one fail, so will the others come to their destruction.' He looked toward the east, where the sun now threw its first pale rays of gold across the waves. 'Let us finalize your plans, now, and be off to Númenor this day as you had thought to do. The patterns of light and darkness shift and move as in a game. I would that we maintain the advantage of Morgoth's ignorance, and keep our next moves to ourselves.

Khelek and Veritas brought Levanto aboard in preparation for the journey, then bent with Ancalimon over the maps and navigational charts for a final look.

Veritas had planned to time jump from their present position and then sail south to the Isle. Given a favorable wind they could reach the waters of Westerness in four days. The only part of this plan they had not been able to make concrete was which date they should jump to. 'We know we should make for the port of Eldalondë according to Pio's instructions.' said Veritas, 'but when we should arrive there we do not know.'

'Pio?' asked Ancalimon, his gaze sweeping the group for an answer.

'A companion.' came the simple reply of Khelek. 'Now lost to us.' He said no more.

'I see.' said Ancalimon, fixing the elf with his piercing eyes. 'Speaking of companions - where are the others? I have talked with Child, and seen Rose. But what of the skin changer? and the Man? Will they not be coming with us?'

'You saw Child and Rose?' cried Kali. 'Tell us how are they, please!' Ancalimon told them of his visit to the work camp and how the two hobbits fared. The companions rejoiced to hear that even amid such bleak conditions the two kept strong. A small glimmer of hope that this all might work out grew in them.

Ancalimon turned to Daisy, who had been very quiet. 'And what of the other two companions?' he asked her. The story that Bird had given her to tell was in the fore of her mind. It died on her lips as she looked into his face. The truth came out then about Bird's travels to the camp to be with Child and Rose. Veritas and Khelek shook their heads in disbelief, while Angara fixed the hobbit with a withering stare for fooling her completely.

The tension was broken by the laughter of Kali. 'Oh, that Bird! She is too funny! Very brave,very funny. She fooled you big Angara!'

Then, even Angara, laughed. 'She did, indeed! Just wait til that poor excuse for a dragon gets back here! I'll show her fooling!!'

'And the last companion,' asked Ancalimon quietly as the laughter faded. 'where is he?'

'Here, he is,' said Kali, sadly now. 'A good man who walks in bad dreams and cannot find his way back to us. Would you like to see him?'

'In time,' said Ancalimon, looking thoughtfully toward the steps down to the cabins, 'but not now.' He thought for a moment, wrinkling his brow as if making a calculation.

'Let us set our date for the year 2000 of the Second Age, and set sail for the western shore of the Isle - the Bay of Eldanna to be exact.'

Veritas positioned the crystal and then closed and locked the cover into place. The air and sea shimmered about them and then winked out for a brief moment.

The far off coasts of Beleriand had completely disappeared, all about them lay the wide open waters of the Sundering Seas. A fair wind was at their backs as they sailed at a fast clip southwards.

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-16-2002, 07:25 AM   #536
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Azra made sure that Ancalimon's pony got at least one daily visit from Lindo. Sometimes it was early in the morning, and sometimes it was late at night; Lindo rarely got away during broad daylight. Lindo's chief worry regarding the pony was that he had begun to whinny eagerly when he heard Lindo approaching. The pony knew that Lindo would take care of all those itchy spots that the boys could not reach, along his crest and back. Since Lindo didn't want him to become orc-lunch, it became a serious game for him to see how close he could get to the pony before he would be heard. With his natural hobbit-quietness, he could get quite close.

But early one grey morning, he got too close and startled the pony. He was very lucky; he was just far enough away that the explosive power of the pony's eye-level kick was all but spent, and instead of sudden death or a concussion, all he got was a splendid shiner. The pony snuffled Lindo apologetically as he sat in the snow carefully holding a snowball to his face.

Lindo was busy with names. He recalled Ancalimon's visit, and how that had been, for so many, the birthday of hope, despite the utter horror and wretchedness of the day's beginning. He felt that Ancalimon had brought the hope, but he gave the pony some credit too. "Estel, " he smiled lopsidedly, and the pony had a name.

Ancalimon: he who is most bright. So, what made Ancalimon bright? Nitir had said something about the household of Nienna. Wasn't she the one who wept all the time? Isn't that a grey sort of thing? But then again, it had only been weeping for his parents, Pongo and Lily, and finally Niphredil, that had set him free to hope. So somehow the greyness of weeping and the brightness of hope were related. In nature it made sense; you needed the rain, in order for the sunshine to do the land any good. Nienna, rainy weeping; Ancalimon, bright hope. There was a song in there, somehow. He'd work on it.

The pony, Estel, snuffled more insistently, and Lindo struggled to his feet and got busy, holding the snowball with one hand and scratching itchy spots with the other. He smiled lopsidedly again. Feeding babies, scratching ponies. Often, life consisted primarily of satisfying other's needs.

When he got back to the Workhouse, everyone wanted to know where the shiner had come from. But he kept it a secret from everybody but the Valiant Snowhobbits and their Assistants. They listened with wide eyes as he explained how lucky he was to be alive, and they all agreed to be smarter and careful-er than Lindo had been.

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 08-16-2002, 10:21 AM   #537
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Nitir was awakened just after dawn. She could hear Lindo clambering about in the common room as he prepared to escape into the woods to tend his pony. Nitir laughed. Lindo did his errands so silently and secretly. Perhaps he thought she'd be angry at him for stealing away a bit of time from other duties. If so, nothing could be more wrong. In Nitir's mind, every moment the hobbits spent stroking ponies or eating fish stew or singing gay tunes was one more slap against Morgoth and his Orcs. They had no swords or axes to face evil as her friend Piosenniel had done. But they did have the daily routine of their lives, and if that was all they had at the moment, that was what they'd have to use to do their battles. She was quite certain that Orcs would never kiss a pony on the nose or compose tunes about great snowball fights. But, to Nitir, these were small and hard won victories.

Nitir went and poked the dying ashes of the fire as she watched them spring up to life again. Then she went over to the wall and, with trembling fingers, gently wiggled and twisted the old vellum this way and that until the ledger came loose once more. The title on the first page said, "Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth" which in Adunaic meant "The Debate of Finrod and Andreth." She sat down at her table and began to read.

One hour later, Nitir still sat at the table, a look of disbelief and wonder on her face. In all her years of studying lore, she had never come across anything quite like this. She could not just sit here with the Athrabeth. She had to share it with Maura.

Nitir threw her cloak on and raced over to the enclosure where the hobbits kept the two scraggly goats they'd found. These two little animals provided what little milk they had for the children. Just as Lindo's early morning task was to tend the pony, it was Maura who generally fed the goats.

She flew up to him with the manuscript in her arms. "I must talk to you, Maura. It's important." It was still too cold to remain outside very long so they went back to his cramped and grey burrow. As often as possible, Zira came here to be with her husband Ban. Zira had spent last night in the burrow, and was now bustling about and hoisting the heavy kettles.

She and Maura sat on the ground as most of the small hobbit burrows did not have the luxury of tables or chairs. The cooking fire lay in the middle of the floor with a single vent out through the ceiling. The burrows themselves had few windows so things tended to be a bit gloomy and grey. Maura leaned forward towards the cooking fire to let the light from the flames illumine the pages.

When he finished reading, he gazed up at Maura, "This is absolutely wondrous," he whispered. Then Nitir explained to them how she had found the papers.

"What do you think of this? she asked him.

"I'm not certain, but my own grandfather knew Andreth well. They spent much time together in Ladros learning the lore from Finrod and other Elves. He heard once that there was great love between the wise woman and Aegnor. Aegnor was an Elf and Finrod's brother. But he was not certain if that was true, and he kept the matter to himself It was said that the joining of a mortal and immortal could only lead to sadness,and this should only happen if there was a great doom involved."

Nitir thought back on her own friend Piosennial, both the love of her parents and the sadness that love had brought. She wondered what great doom had lain upon their family to allow the marriage to take place, like that of Beren and Luthien. And she immediately saw in her mind an image of the Star with the banner of Earendil flying from the mast and Kali standing at the front of the ship. The meaning of this was so overwhelming that she pushed it gently from her mind, to be retrieved later and pondered on.

"And what of her feelings of sadness? Her anger at there being such a great gulf beween the immortal Elves and mortal Men? Her sadness that her own people should pass from Arda so soon and know nothing more of their fate?" Nitir lowered her voice and said. "When I spoke with Ancalimon the other night, my own words were not too different from these. But, after I had said them, I felt ashamed and yet part of me still felt that sadness and held those same questions. That was when Ancalimon laughed, and said, with my sharp tongue and good heart, I reminded him a bit of Andreth. Then I was in darkness, but now I understand what he meant."

"You are not the only one, Nitir, who asks such questions." And Maura sighed looking hard into the fire.

"Sometimes, I have even wondered if our people would not be better off if we
did not live so near to the Elves." he pondered. "All of hobbit lore and learning were first given to the Fallohides by the Elves, and then we passed them on to our Harfoot and Stoor kin. But it is not easy having the Elves so close to us. When a hobbit mother sees her child die from illness at birth and then looks over and sees the Elves who know no illness, it does not go easy for her."

Nitir looked down at the earth, her voice trembling, "What of the hobbit girl who sees her Elf friend die? For she rejoices that her friend will go to the Blessed Lands, and yet she doen't know where she herself will go, and can only feel sorrow because, even in death, she may never be with her friend again. This parting seems so harsh. And part of her is bitter that she cannot go to those same wondrous land."

"Yes, Nitir, I have felt this too. For, in Gondolin, we lived closely with the Elves and had many friends among them. Look at Lindo. He finally seems to have found his people again, but his early sorrow not only came from losing so many loved ones. He had chased after Elves for so many years and could even speak mind-to-mind as they do. When they were no longer close to him, he felt a great loss."

"Yet you do not speak mind-to-mind," Nitir whispered, "I have sometimes thought that you might have that gift."

"Perhaps, perhaps not. My grandfather could do such things but he felt that my life should be with my own people, and that this would only set me apart from them. For most hobbits do not desire or need such things."

Then they spoke a long time about the writings of Andreth, and there were many things written which they did not understand.

Then Maura continued, "But here is one thing I think is important. For, as to how the fea of an Elf and Man are different, do not forget that even Finrod says here that our own part as mortals may be greater than even that of the Elves. It seems to us that the Valar turn their faces away, but maybe they do not have power over us in the same way that they have over the Elven kin."

"Do you believe what is here in this paper? Nitir challenged. "Do you believe that our own doom lies in the hands of Eru?"

"Perhaps" Maura whispered. "And perhaps, as the Athrabeth says, Arda will not only have the marring undone at the end of time, but be made into a totally new thing. Perhaps, then, you can have your reunion with Piosenniel." And Maura reached over and kissed her on her curls.

"But this, Maura, this part," Nitir plunged on. "What do you think?" And Nitir pointed to a paper that had been added in at the very end. For this little piece talked of the hobbits as well as their close kin, the hobbrim, and how these peoples would have much to do in the battle against the Dark Ones. And it said that twice in the history of Arda, once in the Third Age and once at the end of all time, these peoples would have a great task and, without this task, there would be no healing of the earth.

Maura looked into the fire again. "I do not know about these wonders. But I do fear that Andreth has put something onto paper which should only have stayed in her heart. For, if Morgoth or his minions should see this thing, much evil could come to us, and perhaps even to all of Middle-earth."

"What should we do then?" Nitir asked.

"This ledger of the debate between Andreth and Finrod should be treasured by our people as a sign of friendship between hobbits and the house of Beor. But this paper?" And he held up the little piece that spoke of how the hobbits would fight against the Dark Lord. "I think that these words should go back to Ancalimon that he may do what is right. Perhaps he will keep the paper safe or even destroy it. For I do not have the wisdom to decide this thing."

Nitir nodded, "I fear you are right. There are many memories in my head which are gone, but I can recall that, in my own lands, there was some great thing which should have been destroyed, and was not. And that thing, whatever it was, caused untold grief to many people. I would not want that to happen again."

So Nitir gave the ledger and little paper back to Maura, and she went to her own work. But, all during the day, she kept thinking how much she liked being with Maura and how hard it would be to leave him.

Old 08-16-2002, 01:45 PM   #538
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ooc::HI EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You think you made the story long enough. It took me all day to read it. Pio!!! How could you go and die like that! Other then that I think you've all composed a really cool story. And I thought Frodo and Sam had it bad. I've skimmed over alot so if I get anything wrong tell me.::

Rose woke up from a troubled sleep. She rolled over in her less then satisfactory bed and stared at the dark celing. She was thinking about her dream. It had been one she had had before. People sitting in a circle. They all stared at somthing small and golden...that was all she could remember. Rose knew it was one of the memories she had loss the night of Child's dream. When Rose had first told Child about the dreams her friend had been very worried. Even if they were just in dreams, memories of the future could endanger them. However, Rose did nothing to hinder the dreams. She could stand the risk for glimpses of parts of herself. Child didn't know but Rose hated the loss of her memory and it along with the death of Pio had changed her alot. She made a solom promise to herself that she would hold onto what ever memories she had. Everyday whether she was working in the fields or carring for toddlers that she went over everything she remembered. Examined in her mind each of her friends faces and lisened to the echos of thier words. Dispite this she felt like she was always missing somthing. Somtimes at night she would wake up and start to franticly search her suroundings before relizing she wasn't going to find her lost part that way. During the day she usually took her wrath out on those around her especially Lindo.
For some reason she had decided to critizise the hobbit at any possible moment. Though one day Rose found that she enjoyed Lindo's company alot and her critisisms was her strange way of being his friend.
She had even more trouble with her adopted name. Most of the time she had trouble responding to it and when she did a feeling of anger welled up inside her. It wasn't that she didn't like the name Azra it was just that she felt the loss of her true name was another attempt to stript her of what little she had. Her lost memory also had effect on the children she was in charge of. She would force those who could to remember the good days of thier city and to tell those that could not remember. Her children nomally cried in thier sleep more then the others because of this. But Rose new that they had to remember.

After a few months her old spirit started to take for once again. She wanted to do somthing. Take action. Get alittle mischief into a place where no one dared toe the line more then nessisary. So she was often tucked away in a room writing down plans of escape even if they were totally impossible and imediatly destroying them so the orcs would not find out. She hoped this way she'd find a plan that would work. And then she could make better use of herself.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:54 PM   #539
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It was almost time for the midsummer feast, Erulaitalë. The king would ascend the winding spiral road on foot to the northern summit of Meneltarma, clad in white and garlanded, followed by a great throng of the people of Númenor. They would all walk in silence, and in silence enter the great flattened and depressed area at the top of the Holy Mountain. At that time the King would break the holy silence of the place, offering praise to Eru Ilúvatar while the eagles, the Witnesses of Manwë, wheeled and hovered above the sacred gathering.

But today was not that day yet, and the elf had hiked to the top of the sacred mountain as he did often on his voyages to Andor, as he called it.

Once at the top, he stood on the rim and looked far out to sea, to the north, straining to see the ship he knew must come, and soon now, if he understood the last message from Ancalimon. Nothing yet. He sighed sofly into the silence of the mountain.

Then turning toward the western rim, he bowed to the three eagles perched on the rocks there, and descended once again to the mountain's base, making his way on horse back to Eldalondë.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:42 PM   #540
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Tulë returned to the city, having journeyed down the the River Nunduinë to Nísimaldar, the country of fragrant trees within which the haven of Eldalondë the Green lay.

Of all the havens of Númenor it was accounted the most beautiful, and in the early days of Andor, the swift white ships of the Eldar came there often.

About it, up the seaward slopes and far into the land grew the evergreen and fragrant trees which had come out of the West to be planted there: oiolairë, lairelossë, nessamelda, vardarianna, taniquelassë, and yavannamírë with it's round, red fruits. The air was ever filled with the sweet scents of the West. The elf revelled in the familiar scents and they refreshed him. Of especial delight to him were the groves of malinorní, their tall and mighty grey-silver trunks supporting a canopy of glorious gold.

But now was not the time to be dreaming of the West he knew. There were preparations to be checked on, and last minute details to be seen to.

The ship would be here soon; he could almost feel its approach over the waves. All must be ready by then.

Old 08-16-2002, 05:08 PM   #541
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Mithadan dreamed of fire and leering orc faces. Dragons brought shining white towers crashing down into the streets. He saw his friends and others he had met looking at him with disapproval and even hatred. Over and over again, he saw Piosenniel lying dead in Idril's courtyard or being stabbed as she looked to him for aid. Throughout the dreams he felt a presence of implacable evil gloating over the fall of the city and the deaths of so many Elves.

Then, at last, he dreamed of a beach on the western sea. He was alone, standing on the sand. Relieved at the familiarity of the scene, he sat to await what would come. Again, as many times before, a great wave arose off-shore which rode in only to crash and break in the nearby shallows. And again, there stood Ulmo, standing in place of the wave.

"Set aside thy dreams of darkness; they derive from the evil thought of Melkor the accursed. It is time for thee to wake and walk among the living again."

"But Lord," replied Mithadan. "Her death was unnecceasary. We acted as gawking tourists watching as Gondolin fell though we could have departed once we learned we could not rescue the Halflings. We tarried too long and she died alone. I was not next to her. And I failed to save her our bring home my other companions. The delay was for naught but tragedy and it was of my making."

"Nay!" responded the Lord of Waters. "The Elf made her own decisions and died as a hero protecting her friend. And thee didst thy best to act in the interest of all thy companions, who also made their own decisions. Adjudge thyself not a craven! It is not the place of Man to be in all places when necessity calls. Nor should thee deride thyself for not foreseeing all ends. This too is not the provence of Man. Ye have undertaken a noble cause. Do not fail of thy task for grief of what could not be avoided. Rest easy and awake with clear conscience."

With that the great figure turned and sank into the sea.

"My conscience may be clear," muttered Mithadan. "Yet it will be difficult to forgive myself for I do not agree that what transpired was unavoidable."

---------------------------------------

Kali had opened the porthole in Mithadan's cabin, letting the sun stream in to dispel the darkness. It was the third day since they had set sail in the Second Age. The Man stirred, and opened his eyes, fixing on the bar of golden light which lay across his bed. Kali smiled at him in delight.

'Mithadan! You are back! Are you hungry? I brought some fresh bread that Daisy made and a bowl of hot fish broth from me.'

He helped the man to sit up in bed, propping him up against the headboard with pillows. Mithadan's nose caught the scents of food and fresh sea breezes, and then wrinkled at the sour smell of a bed too long lain in.

'Kali', he said, his voice rough from disuse, 'help me up please so that I might bathe. I am hungry, but I cannot eat that good food, stinking as I do.'

Kali helped him up to the shower at the end of the hall, and brought him some clean garments as he requested.

Washed and dressed, Mithadan walked slowly down the hall to his room and sat on the chair in front of his writing desk. Kali had placed the tray of food on the desk and Mithadan began to spoon the fragrant broth into his mouth followed by pieces of the warm bread.

When the last of the broth had been sponged up by the last morself of bread, he sat back satisfied and took a deep breath of the fresh air drawn in through the porthole.

'The sea breeze smells different to me today.' he remarked, savoring the freshness of it. 'Where are we?'

'We are sailing south, in the Second Age,' came the unfamiliar voice from the doorway, 'to Númenor.'

[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ August 19, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 08-16-2002, 05:10 PM   #542
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Nitir was cleaning up some of the things in the children's room when she stumbled on to a crumbled paper which was in Azra's handwriting. She took a long look at it. Her eyes widened in shock and surprise. Then she picked up her skirts and bustled off in a rage to find Azra.

She was supposed to be gathering firewood for the Orcs. Instead, she found Azra aiming chunks of ice at a large tree limb which she was imaginging to be a live Orc. Nitir charged up to the her, "Have you lost your mind? The last time, the Orcs found two weapons, they tried to force me to pick out a child to be executed, and then massacred two children instead. If they saw this piece of paper, I don't even want to think what would happen to us."

Nitir's face was grim and serious. "You will not do this again. Unless, we can come up with a credible plan to rescue the entire community at once, there will be no more fanciful conspiracies about escaping."

"And, by the way, what is this about "Rose"? Your safety and mine depend on us being Azra and Nitir. There is no Rose! Not until these hobbits are safely rescued. And that means all of them. Not just you!"

Rose glared up at the woman she knew as Child. What had happened to the friend she had known for so long? She felt as if she had been deserted. She had kept these feelings inside herself for month after month. But she could no longer do it. To Child, she said nothing. But, inside, she was burning with indignation."

OOC -- Rose --So good to see you again, LOL. Someone to fight with!!
Old 08-16-2002, 05:36 PM   #543
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird sat in a pine on the edge of devastation. All about her were stumps and ashes, and the shroud of snow failed to conceal the corruption of a murdered land. At first the changer had thought she had overshot her destination, and arrived in Thangorodrim itself. but then she had seen the few signs of sleeping life, the dead stalks and seedheads of flowers, a preserved clump of nutbushes, naked of leaves but still quick and waiting for spring. a small seep whose banks were preserved from the ash heaps around them to keep some source of fresh water. The orcs would never have been so careless in destruction.

And she had seen the low, crudely made smoke holes in a bank on the other side of the burnt, muddy fields. Signs of life underground. She had found the halfling prisoners at last.

Bird had thought she would make a triumphant entrance, swooping down on Child and Rose with cries of hope and welcome. But she was so tired, so tired and cold. As the slow realization came that this was the use that Morgoth had put the hobbits to, a feeling of despair had come over the her. Had He destroyed the spirits of the hobbits as he had destroyed the beauty of Dorthonian? And where were the prisoners? In the early rays of dawn there was no sign of movement in any direction.

Then she heard the snort of a pony, off in the remaining stand of trees behind her. Bird followed the sound to a meadow, far away from the prisoner's smials. A shaggy, but well tended beast was looking expectantly off through the woods, stretched to the length of his hempen tether.

"Expecting someone, are you?" Bird said to the pony, who looked mildly curious at being addressed by a black and white crow, but then turned his attention to the more-welcomed company he was anticipating.

Bird flew down onto the back of the pony, who shivered his skin at the feel of claws on her back, then decided that it felt good. The warmth of the pony radiated up through Bird's feet and body like a living furnace. The skin-changer clung to this small piece of life, the first she had found since leaving the Lonely Star. And others would come. The pony knew it. Bird settled down on the pony's back like a hen onto her nest, and fell into exhausted sleep.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:35 PM   #544
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Lindo and Retya stealthily approached Estel, this time from directly in front of him, because they could see that he was dozing. Lindo noticed that Estel was tethered, and he wondered why.

When they were both within ten feet of the pony, Lindo clicked his tongue, and the pony started awake. To Lindo and Retya's amazement, they saw a flutter of wings on his back. They surged forward, Lindo taking Estel's muzzle genty in both hands, and looking around at the black and white bird.

"I know you, " said Lindo, none too thrilled. "You are Nitir ahd Azra's friend." And the one who flaps around my head and pokes at my clothing just to be annoying, he mentally added, but clamped his lips shut. "Retya, run back to camp. Leave the water here. Tell Nitir that her black and white bird-friend is here. Hurry."

The black and white bird glowered at Lindo, and said nothing, but sighed and fluffed out her feathers, in a vain attempt to keep warm. She had been dreaming, and resented being disturbed by grumpy Lindo of all people.

Lindo removed the hempen tether from the pony, muttering. "Who put this on you, Estel, eh? Somebody's idea of safe and careful, I suppose. Well, you don't need it." It was well woven, though, and Lindo coiled it carefully. He suspected one of the Assistant Junior Snowhobbits of having tied the pony, but the twisting was so well balanced on the hempen rope, one of the older boys had probably made it. He would find out. Meanwhile, he gave Estel his water and his daily check for bumps, cuts, bruises or bites, and then, keeping a close eye on that bird, started scratching under Estel's chin and waiting for Nitir to arrive.

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

[ August 19, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 08-16-2002, 07:39 PM   #545
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'To Númenor!' said Mithadan, turning in the chair to look at the stranger. 'Have I been asleep that long that we are bound to rescue the hobbits before the Isle sinks?' He shook his head and frowned. 'Child! Rose! are they alright? I must see them!'

He started to stand but the man in the doorway stopped him. 'Sit, Mithadan. Rest easy. Child and Rose are as well as they can be in Beleriand among the hobbits. We are on our way to Númenor to see how we can rescue the hobbits once they are imprisoned there. None of the crew knows the land, and they knew not if you had any knowledge of it or if you did, would be up and able to share it.'

'Do I know you?' asked Mithadan, looking closely at the now approaching man. 'It seems I must, for your presence is familiar to me, though I do not recognize your form. Perhaps, though, you were one of those in my dreams and that is how I know you.'

'No, I have never met you - in Middle-earth or in dreams.' He regarded Mithadan with a kind look in his eyes. 'I am called Ancalimon. I had heard the companions might need some help, and I have come to lend mine.'

Old 08-16-2002, 10:26 PM   #546
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Ancalimon.' Mithadan turned the name over in his mind. 'It seems I know that name, though I cannot recall how or where I heard it.' He rubbed his temples, and sighed.

'Perhaps it will come back to you later.' said Ancalimon.

'Perhaps . . . but for now, Kali will you lend me your arm to steady myself. I would go on deck myself to see where we are bound.'

The hobbrim let the man's hand rest on his shoulder as they slowly went up the stairs. Mithadan stood straight once he had reached the deck and went toward the helm where Veritas sat reading Pio's journal. Khelek was looking over a navigational map and making estimates of how far they had come, and how far they must yet go.

It was Daisy, who stood at the helm, who first noticed that Mithadan had come up. Securing the wheel, she ran toward him smiling and nearly knocked him over. 'I'm sorry!', she cried, laughing. 'It's just so good to see you!' She took his hand and brought him to the prow. 'Look!' She showed him how the ship cut cleanly through the water, and how the dolphins swam with it, riding the waves and leaping through the spray, as if to urge the ship on its way.

A small smile played about his lips as he watched them.

Khelek and Veritas had come up beside him to welcome him back. 'Come sit with us.' they said. 'We are trying to acquaint ourselves with Númenor. We hope to have a fair understanding of it by the time we get there.'

Mithadan looked over the maps, setting to one side the ones he thought might be most helpful once they had disembarked. He picked up the open journal, and murmured appreciatively at the wealth of description he saw on the various areas of the Isle. 'Whose is this?' he asked as he handed it back to Veritas.

'Ah! It's Pio's.'

'How did you come by it?' asked Mithadan.

Veritas related the instructions and messages that Pio had given Angara to relay to the companions. Mithadan looked toward the dragon who had been watching him with her golden eyes. 'She left no message for you, Mithadan, only a passing comment can I recall - that whatever happened she knew you would find your way.'

The uncomfortable silence that ensued was broken when Daisy, who still stood at the prow, cried out again, 'Look! Look!'

A large flock of sea birds could be seen flying north toward the ship. The dolphins leapt and whistled at them in greeting, lending their voices to the raucous cries of the birds.

'We have sailed faster than we thought.' said Veritas. 'Land is near!'
Old 08-16-2002, 11:02 PM   #547
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The bore in a more westerly direction now, and by late afternoon, they could see the tip of the most northern peninsula, Forostar. When they had passed by the North Cape, they sailed within site of the western coast of that peninsula, and then on around the coast of Andustar, passing by the Bay of Andunië.

Near sunset, the ship turned to a southern course once more, and came to the opening of the Bay of Eldanna, which faced westward, toward Tol Eressëa.

Veritas brought the ship round, to head east toward the Bay and Eldalondë, then ordered the anchor dropped.

'We should rest here for the night.' she said. 'We can catch the early morning light and sail into port tomorrow.'

All agreed, and Daisy secured the wheel for the night.

They went down to the galley for a small meal and then to their cabins to rest for tomorrow's expedition.

Ancalimon returned to the deck briefly, and stood looking toward the land. The stars studded the dark sky, winking like bright jewels on a black velvet cloth.

They are here! The early morning tide must bring you to us. He called across the waves.

Satisfied he had been heard, he went silently down the steps to his room.

'How interesting!' thought the dragon, who had not dared to listen in too closely. 'I wonder who he calls to?' She looked across the darkness, to the east, and considered the possibilities.

Old 08-17-2002, 04:48 AM   #548
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Your wrong Child Thought Rose. I'll go by...by Azra, but at least I remember. Your forgeting who we are. But I know your busy so I'll remember for you.

And Azra would not stop planing escapes because one of her ideas might be credible. She would just have to make sure she didn't forget to burn the plans. She had to do somthing. She couldn't just be a sheep umong sheep and let the orcs push her around. Because Rose, whoever she was, would not just stand around either.

ooc: [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Top that Nitir! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Just then the hobbit Retya ran up to them and started to talk to Nitir. "Your bird.(pant) The black and white bird.(pant) It's here (pant) with Lindo. Follow me."

At the mention of a black and white bird Azra's heart lept. She ran after Nitir and Retya and when she saw her friend she couldn't help but give out a sqeal of delight. "Bird! Bird I can't believe it. How's Mith and.." But Nitir stayed her with a hand. She had been about to mention Angara and that was not a good idea out in the open.

[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 08-17-2002, 09:07 AM   #549
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Nitir extended her arm with her palm facing upward. The black and white bird flew over their head in circles and then neatly landed on it. Nitir brought her hands together and gently inclined her head towards this much loved bundle of feathers and song. She kissed the bird on the tips of her wings. Then she looked up.

Lindo had run over to join them. Nitir peered over at him and laughed. "You have a pony you dearly love. This bird is one I have seen before, and I am fond of her. For, even on the first night that we left Gondolin, she flew into the sky and brought hope to me." In her mind, Child pictured the black dragon and her savage attack on the Orc guard.

Nitir turned and looked at the bird, "You, litte one, will come with us to the Workhouse, and live on a perch above my small table. We will keep the window ajar so you may come and go as you please."

Nitir's mind was working furiously. She thought that Bird would have to show her true form to Maura and perhaps even to Lindo. But, for now, it was safest that she come back with them as a companion Bird.

"So come little companion, and sit upon my shoulder. We will find some scraps to feed you!"

Bird took her accustomed perch, then leaned far over to Nitir's ear. She whispered to the hobbit, "'Little Companion', 'scraps of food'? If we ever get ourselves out of this mess, I'll get you for that, Mistress Goodchilde!"
Old 08-17-2002, 09:26 AM   #550
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Azra, with a very light heart, returned to the task of collecting firewood for the orcs. All the while singing a joyfull tune. It was the first time she had done so for a long time and it made her feel good.

She had a feeling she'd be doing alot more singing in the days to come.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:42 PM   #551
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

There was a loud, knocking on Mithadan's door. 'Wake up! Wake up!' cried the insistent voices in tandem.

''Enter!' came the groggy, irritated voice of the man.

Kali and Daisy burst through his door, nearly tumbling over one another in their haste to get to his side.

'What is it?' he asked, looking at the pair and then at the porthole through which the stars could still be seen in the pre-dawn sky. 'Why are you up so early? Have we docked in Eldalondë without my knowing it?'

'No, we're still at anchor just outside the bay.' said Daisy breathlessly. 'Something is on the way to us!'

'Something . . .?' said Mithadan, coming fully awake now. 'Let me get dressed and come on deck with you.' He scooted the two just outside his cabin and quickly pulled on some clothes. He was just lacing the front of his shirt when he raised his voice and called out to Kali. 'Where have you put my sword?'

'Oh Mithadan, you won't need your sword! It is something beautiful that is coming.'

'Something beautiful?' he asked, pulling on his boots and heading up the stairs.

'Yes!', said Daisy in delight. 'A little, gleaming white ship from the bay! Now hurry, it's almost here!'

Everyone had gathered on the deck to see the small swan-ship speed across the water. A single pilot guided it, clothed against the early morning chill in a hooded grey cloak, secured well against the brisk breeze.

The pilot maneuvered his craft very near the Lonely Star and hailed the ship, asking permission to come aboard.

Mithadan conferred briefly with the others, and prompted by the assurances of Ancalimon, gave permission.

A boarding plank was placed between the two ships, from rail to rail, and the pilot strode across it swiftly.

He bowed first to Ancalimon as he stepped onto the deck. Then throwing back his hood, he bowed in the direction of the crew.

'Allow me to introduce a friend of mine who will be of aid to you when I cannot be here.' He stepped to the side of the elf. 'This is Tulë.' And then indicating the companions, 'And these are the companions I have spoken about with you.'

'Well met at last!' said the elf, an infectious smile lighting up his face as he went to greet each one of them.

'You're so young!' blurted out Daisy as the elf took her hand in his and bowed to her.

He laughed delightedly at her remark. 'We elves do not age as quickly as others, but I have plenty of years under my belt, dear hobbit.'

Introductions done, the group moved downstairs to break their fast and make plans for the day. Ancalimon and the elf went below with them.

As the elf stepped to the stairs, he looked toward the mast where Angara perched, watching. He smiled, acknowledging her presence.

Dragon! he sent, inclining his head slightly toward her.

Elf! she returned, her eyes glowing gold.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:56 PM   #552
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Once the meal was done, and the table cleared of food and dishes, Veritas brought out the maps they had of the interior of the Isle. Khelek spread his hand across the land and indicated that one of the problems they had not been able to solve was that although they knew the hobbits were to be somewhere on the Isle, they were unsure where they might be hidden.

'Do you know as yet who captures the hobbits and imprisons them here?' asked the elf, leaning over the map.

'No.' replied Veritas. 'We only have the two riddles supplied by the dragon.' She repeated them for the benefit of the elf, who rubbed his chin in thought, and looked once again at the map.

'I think we can assume that whoever first brought them to the island must have been someone who could work in complete confidence that they would not be found by others. That tells me it was probably someone high up in the court, and probably the King himself who had a hand in this. It cannot have been too soon before the fall that they were placed there, since a longer period of time might have insured that others would uncover their presence.' He moved his slender finger to the mountain at the center of the Isle. 'This is one of the places where the King could have hidden a large number of captives. Meneltarma is directly under his supervision. Now I doubt he herded them to the top of the mountain, since both the populace and the Eagles have access to it, and there is really nowhere to hide a large group.' He tapped at the base of the mountain, where the River Siril flowed out from beneath it. 'But here is where he could have put them - beneath the mountain, in the caves that lie just north here of Noirinan, the valley of the tombs of the Kings.'

'Can we take our ship up the river?' asked Veritas, looking at the area.

'Yes, your ship might travel up the river, but it would cause a lot of notice. Especially since you fly the banner of Eärendil - which I might suggest you take down while you are here. I would say we should take my ship up the river. The folk are still accustomed to seeing the elven swan-ships sailing the waters. And it is a smaller craft and much more maneuverable than yours.'

'That sounds like a wise plan.' said Mithadan. 'There is also another reason we should take your craft.' He turned to Kali and Daisy. 'We cannot afford to have you seen by anyone here. So you must stay on the ship, as must Angara. The enmity between the men of Beleriand and dragons will not have vanished in these long years since the battles with Morgoth.' He looked then at Khelek and at Veritas. 'We will also need one of you to stay with the ship and be ready to sail swiftly should the need arise.'

'It's best I stay then.' said Veritas.'Daisy and I can keep the ship in readiness while Angara keeps watch. Kali, Daisy will teach you some of the navigational skills that she has learned, so that you might take over as needed.'

'I also think that once they've gone, you should pull the ship a little farther out to sea to remain unnoticed.' said Ancalimon. I, too, will not be going with you into Númenor. My brief purpose has been served to have you meet with Tulë. Once you are off the ship and it has pulled out farther from land, I need to return quickly to our starting point. There are still some things that I need to share with the captive hobbits in Dorthonion. The Lonely Star can then come back here immediately without me.'

'How long do you think we will be on the Isle?' asked Khelek, calculating what he might need to bring.

'Not long.' replied Tulë. 'Perhaps today and most of tomorrow. We should have seen enough of the territory by then for you to feel comfortable in devising a plan.'

'And what will you do once we are done gathering information and return to the Lonely Star?' asked Mithadan. 'Will you be waiting for us when we return in the future for the rescue?'

The elf fixed him with his sea-grey eyes. 'No, I will not be waiting. I intend to come with you to see this to its end.'

Mithadan sat back in his chair considering the elf's answer. 'Well, then, let's gather what we need and get on our way.'

Old 08-17-2002, 02:33 PM   #553
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Once the swan-ship had gone, heading south and then east to the mouths of the Siril, Veritas sailed The Lonely Star out into deeper waters. Using the crystal, she returned Ancalimon to their previous position, and he sent for the eagles to take him back to the Fens of Serech. It was risky, as it was in daylight this time, but Ancalimon felt an urgency to see the hobbits again. He especially felt the need to speak with Child. He made his way on foot, once he had landed, as swiftly as he could toward the prison camp.

Levanto had waited in the waters beyond the Bay of Eldanna for Veritas to bring back the ship, and once it was safely anchored again well off the Isle, he let them know he was going by sea route to the Siril, and then would explore the river to its source, gathering information along the way from the water folk.

Veritas came down to him in one of the ship's small boats and brought the maps with him, showing the mer-man where the landmarks were and what direction he needed to take. When Levanto had the route fixed in his mind, he dived deeply beneath the waves and swam off swiftly.

Veritas returned to the deck, where Daisy had taken down the banner and was just stowing it away. She had set Kali at the prow on lookout, while Angara swept the area aft of the boat for any problems.

She surveyed the ship, and felt that all was in readiness for her companions' return. All that was left to do now was to wait.

Old 08-17-2002, 03:13 PM   #554
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

That night Azra was up late writing new plans of escape.
ooc: your probably wishing I stayed with Mith::

Her earlier jolly spirit was slipping away into deprestion. Maybe Nitir was right. There seemed to be no way of saving everyone. If only she knew what was going on outside the prison.

Then it hit her. She COULD know what was going on. Azra quickly burned the plans with her makeshift candle then silently made her way to Nitir's quarters. Bird was asleep on the end of the bed.

Very carefully Azra prodded Bird awake. "Bird, wake up." Bird opened one eye.

"What?" She said very anoyed.
"I want to talk to you. Here, come with me."
Azra lead Bird out of earshoot of sleeping hobbits and then sat down. "Birdland, please tell me. What's happening on the Lonely Star? Tell me everything. And what did you see as you came to find us?"
Old 08-17-2002, 06:01 PM   #555
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Returning from Estel's clearing, Lindo was headed for the Workhouse; for some reason he was uneasy and restless. He had hoped that the pony would cheer him up, but all he could think of then was how much he would miss Estel when Ancalimon eventually called or came back for his pony. His heart was heavy, and he didn't know why.

But then he heard a strange, raspy, croaking voice that he did not know, and he froze. It did not sound like on orc-voice, not quite-- unless it was an orc with a sore throat, or... what could it be? He listened, almost holding his breath.

The raspy voice was relating a story about a ship, and Mithadan. That was the man who had been at the fall of the city. But then the story continued; someone named Kali and someone named Daisy. Veritas. Angara. His heart started to pound; were those Nitir's friends? He thought that there had only been the bird, the dragon and the man; he thought that the elf had died. There were others? He listened further. Were they coming? Were they the visitors that Nitir had warned him about? He melted into a shadow, and listened. Rose? Who was Rose?

And then to his astonishment, a hobbit-lass's voice responded, asking questions.

Azra.

Beginning to feel angry, he stealthily moved closer. The hoarse, strange voice belonged to the black and white bird.

Suddenly he stood, and walked toward them, and met Azra's eyes. "Apparently I have heard much that I should not have, " he said, "but you should have been more careful. I am not the only one who is out and about at night."

Azra's jaw dropped.

"And Azra-- " he said, glaring pointedly at the bird and then back to Azra, "or, should I call you Rose?-- I can't help but wonder what else you have been hiding from the rest of us. But I suppose I have no business asking." He held Azra's gaze, thinking, I trusted you. I chose to trust you. Maura told me to trust both of you, you and Nitir.

I hope he wasn't wrong.

Suddenly cold in heart, Lindo stepped past Azra-Rose and walked into the Workhouse. Instead of going to bed, he went to where the babies slept, and closed the door behind him, and picked up little Larkspur without waking her. She stirred, and he held her close, and sat cross-legged, and rocked her, silent and cold. He would rock her for hours that night, but no song would escape his lips.

[ August 19, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 08-17-2002, 06:22 PM   #556
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Night was just settling over the camp. So much had happened in the day, and yet there were still so many unanswered questions. After they had come back to the Workhouse, Nitir had spoken with Bird for a long time. She had learned that the Star had sailed on a special recon mission just as her friend had left the ship. They were visiting one of the ports where they had reason to believe the hobbits would be taken at some point in the future, searching for information or even possible allies to aid them.

Nitir asked in a broken voice why the jackdaw had not stayed with the ship, and helped make that mission a success. She had shaken her head and laughed, "Because I missed you and Rose, you blockheads, and I wanted to make certain you were all in one piece."

For a long time, they had discussed the problems Rose was getting into. Nitir was an experienced mother and could see signs that, whatever she suggested, Rose was determined to say and do the opposite. In normal circumstances, this would not have been a serious problem. Hobbit households didn't generally have a lot of complicated rules. Young people clearly understood there were some things that could and couldn't be done. But, within those guidelines, there was considerable freedom, especially for those who had reached their teens or tweens.

But a prison camp was not a normal situation. And young Rose was looking more and more as if she might say or do something that could bring sorrow down on their heads. Child did not want that. She knew Rose well enough that the girl might jump first and ask questions later. She also feared that, once Rose had done something, she would never forgive herself if some innocent hobbit child ended up slaugtered as part of that bargain.

Child asked Bird to please try to think of some way that Rose could be given a task that involved the rescue of the hobbits. It should be something meaningful, perhaps even a bit risky, but something that fit into the overall plan which was carefully thought out.

At first, Child wasn't certain what that task might be But, as they talked, Maura had unexpectedly barged into her small room, as he had done so many times before. Only this time, Child was having a full blown, serious conversation with a small bird.

Child had turned around to explain, when Maura shrugged his shoulders and laughed, "A shapechanger? Nitir, you're full of surprises. I've never seen one, but my grandfather told me about them when he passed down the lore."

Then, he turned to Bird, and politely welcomed her to the hobbit community. Within a moment, he remembered the dinner scene in Gondolin which now seemed so very long ago. He could recall the jackdaw sitting on the chairback with Abar feeding her scraps of food. He also had a more comic memory of Lindo's complaints about Azra's "attack bird".

The three immediately fell together in talk. "The council has some indication that there's something afoot among the Orcs. We have no idea what it is, but it almost seems that some of the guards are beginning to pack up their gear. We'd love to have a better idea what's going on. If you could get your friend Rose assigned as a servant in Orc headquarters, she could bring us information. I've noticed that the girl has real skill in slinking about undetected and hearing things that shouldn't be heard."

Maura laughed, but wouldn't say anything further. Child had the definite feeling that Rose may have been tending the flowers at Maura's house as a neighborly good deed, while she was careuly listening to the deliberations of the hobbit council.

Child thought having Rose as a spy would be an excellent idea. She asked Bird to speak with her about it.

Maura looked at Nitir and asked, "Why don't you just do it yourself?"

But Nitir shook her head in exasperation, "If you tell her it was my idea, she'll run a hundred miles away."

"Hobbit families! Maua laughed. "Remind me to tell you some stories about when Zira was in her teens." Then he turned towards Bird. "Well, I guess you've been nominated for the job. Please make sure she understands there's real danger here. She must be careful. And Bird, make sure she carries no weapon. We don't want any more children execurted because she does something foolish. Azra has enough wits and stealth as a burglar, she should be able to get a look at their maps and plans, and let us know what is happening."

Bird had nodded in agreement, and promised to speak with Rose. Then Maura had asked Nitir if she wanted to join him and Zira on a short nightime walk.

[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-17-2002, 08:24 PM   #557
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Bird--Anything goes except specific info about later history. Also, you can show yourself to leaders of the community as a shapechanger, but not the community at large.

sharon

[ August 18, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-17-2002, 08:45 PM   #558
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Azra was horrified when Lindo discovered her and Bird. What would Lindo do? Would he tell Nitir. Azra feared Nitir's wrath.

"It's allright." said Bird. "You should be frightened of the orcs not your friends. I'll talk to Child. But there's another thing. Maura has an important job for you. You must be a servant for the orcs and pass information to us. Can you do this."

"Of course. I'll get all sorts of information. Then Nitir will be proud of me instead of angry." Forgeting her friend compleatly Azra went back to her quarters to prepare.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:35 PM   #559
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Maura went over to the children's room to greet his daughter, inviting her to walk along with them.

Zira responded with a yawn, "I'm so tired, and Ban has promised to come by later. He was on the timber range, and isn't even back. I'd better wait for him here. Maybe tomorrow for that walk."

Maura turned to Nitir and smiled. "It looks as if it's just you and me. But we do need to talk."

As they made their way along the path, their feet made crunching noises on its glossy surface. The snow itself had not fallen for several days, and much of it was melted. A thin sheet of ice now covered the ground. The hobbits walked in silence for a long while, their arms linked together. Every now and again, in between the crunching sounds, Nitir thought she heard the gentle flitting of a bird's wings as if it darted in and out among the trees.

"He's come back again. Ancalimon has come back." Maura said in quiet wonder. "And he wishes to speak with us tomorrow--you, Nitir, as well as myself and Lindo."

"He told me a little about you and the Star, those secrets from the Music that Nitir shared with him before he left Aman. Only a few things here and there, but enough that I understand how important your path may be."

"Analimon says the time has almost come. The hobbits will find freedom from Morgoth and the Orcs. The Lonely Star will depart, and my people and I must continue on our own."

The moon shone down on the icy paths like a thousand glittering lights, as bittersweet joy swelled in Nitir's heart.

"And what did he say of me?" She was almost afraid to ask.

Nitir stood silent on the path and tried to hold back the tears that were welling up in her eyes. But she could not stop them. She looked at the icy ground and said, "I do not want to leave. There is too much here that I care for. I would be happy making my life with you and your people."

Maura looked at her intently. "And I would be happy to have you here with me, but, whether or not that is possible, I do not know."

They walked quietly back towards the Workhouse. Maura leaned down to whisper goodbye, and placed a kiss on her brow, two heads with brown and grey curls mingled together for one instant within a lonely landscape. Overhead, a black and white bird circled, singing its mournful tune.

[ August 18, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-18-2002, 06:01 AM   #560
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Azra couldn't sleep. Part of it was excitement. But she was also troubled. She rose from her bed and walked through the workhouse where she found Lindo cradling one of the babies in his arms. Azra couldn't discern the expresion on the hobbit's face. Lindo looked at her but she avoided his gaze and instead cast her eyes about the room. It seemed empty. Was somthing missing? Then she understood that she was so used to hearing Lindo sing that when he did not the room became a strange place.
"It's very quiet. Without your songs." She said as she stared at her feet. "You..You sing well." This was the first time she had ever complemented Lindo.
"Lindo. I'm really, really, sorry. I would have told you. We were going to tell you. When Nitir thought the time was right. We should have known my big mouth would get me in trouble. I blabed alot on the Lonley Star too. And did rebelious things. But, I guess I should stop thinking only of myself. Lindo, I'm going to be spending a lot of time with the orc guards. Serving them but really spying on them. I think I'll go now. I'm not going to sleep otherwise. Today when you see Nitir, tell her I promise never to act before I think."

Then before Lindo could say anything verbal or non Azra had left.