The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2003, 07:22 AM   #1
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Names

I came across this site at web page

Kabalarian philosophy suggests that the sound of your name affects your personality and this web site will give an analysis of your name.

I entered some of Tolkien's characters' names and was surprised to find that they were accepted as if they were real names.
The following are extracts from the analyses of names from Lord of the Rings.

Your name of Gimli has many sterling qualities but does not give you an overall stability. You do everything with an intensity to the point of fervour, and either you feel tremendous elation or you are in the depths of despair. ……. Patience is not one of your virtues; you want to move when the impulse strikes you.

Your name of Aragorn has given you the ability to handle people. You are pleasant and diplomatic, and seem to sense how others feel. For this reason, you could do well in public relations work. ……. . While you could do well in certain positions of authority, you have a certain lack of initiative and a tendency to procrastinate.
(That last bit shows Aragorn in his period of self-doubt at Parth Galen.)

Your name Samwise gives you a strong sense of responsibility in business and material affairs, and the practicality and determination to make a success of anything you undertake. ……… You have a very responsible nature, are capable and mature, and are willing to assume a position as a pillar of the community.

The analyses for the hobbit names Frodo and Bilbo both make reference to a liking for lots of food.

Are these just coincidences?
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 07:50 AM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Hey! This looks fun. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Actually, I usually find these sorts of personality tests a waste of time. They always seems to list a load of good qualities to which anyone could (and would) say: "Yes, that's me". But I put my name in this one and was quite surprised at its accuracy.

Anyway, this one for Feanor is great. I've reproduced it in full, because it is so spot on:

Your name of Feanor has made you versatile and creative. There is hardly anything you cannot do if you put your mind to it, but a driving urge leads you to one experience after another, seldom finishing what you start. You cannot find peace of mind or lasting contentment in anything you do. As soon as a challenge is met, boredom sets in, and you yearn for another experience. This restlessness makes it difficult for you to assume responsibility and to establish stable, progressive conditions in your life. You could do well in sales work or in meeting the public where quickness of mind and expression are all important. You have many friends, but lose interest in people very quickly. Your intense mental activity spoils system and concentration, and plays havoc with relaxation and sleep. Out of your quick thinking has been borne hasty speech. Acting on impulse instead of with forethought has led to many disappointments and bitter experiences. Your whole nervous system could be affected by the intense emotional influence of this name.

But not so sure about this one for poor old Gandalf:

Your name of Gandalf gives you a highly sensitive, idealistic, and intuitive nature. You could be very expressive and creative in the arts, music, or drama. However, there is a lack of practicality and business judgment which could limit your success. You feel and sense much that you do not fully understand, and you can be deeply influenced through the thoughts and feelings of others without realizing just how you are being affected. Others are inclined to take advantage of your generosity and friendliness and then, when there is a lack of reciprocation, you can feel very despondent and disillusioned. Moods are a problem as you can be highly inspired one minute, and the next become quite irritated and annoyed over some ill-timed remark or lack of consideration on the part of someone close to you. You could suffer through nervous breakdowns, as well as disturbed thoughts, poor memory, or disorders in the fluid functions.

It starts of well, but the lack of practicality and judgment limiting success falls a bit short of the mark. Mind you, Pippin would agree with the bit about irritation and annoyance [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . And, as for Gandalf suffering a nervous breakdown ... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2003, 08:58 AM   #3
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Tossing half-sick between grotesque reality and savage, frightening dreams
gralin musicteeth has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Do all the names say "it has characteristics that undermine your long-term happiness and success in life."?? anyways, I got one for Tùrin:

Your first name of Turin makes you spontaneous and versatile, enjoying congenial association, appreciating the finer things of life, and loving to talk and debate. You are strong willed and self-sufficient, not depending on others for encouragement. Your desire for independence and freedom means that you seldom tolerate limitations. Although you are naturally happy and generous, you fail to hold friendships because you are inclined to be too dogmatic, argumentative, or sarcastic. In an argument, you usually emerge the victor, but at a cost...
Old 02-19-2003, 10:37 AM   #4
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

You know, this guy may have just recognized these names from Tokien when people added them to his database, and wrote descriptions accordingly.

Although the description of my name was pretty accurate....
Old 02-19-2003, 11:57 AM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Hmm. Interesting.

Following Manwe's post above, I input the name Manwe, and got exactly the same result as with my real name. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Quote:
Do all the names say "it has characteristics that undermine your long-term happiness and success in life."??
Yes, because they offer a name-change service!

[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 02-19-2003, 12:19 PM   #6
Jurion
Haunting Spirit

Jurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Please tell me if I'm wrong but in the Netherlands the parents choose a persons first name, am I right in assuming that this is the same in the US.

If so than it's merely a coincedence if ones first name connects with ones personality.
Jurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 12:39 PM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

The theory is, I think, that a person's name influences the development of their personality as they grow up ...

... but then, wouldn't there just be one ideal name for all of us?

Sorry, this is getting way off-Tolkien. Someone put in some more JRRT character names in, quick. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2003, 02:28 PM   #8
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Smeagol
Quote:
A lack of concentration makes it difficult to establish stable, secure conditions in your business life. In order to bring out the higher side of your nature, you should develop your artistic and creative talents. Over-indulgence in food or emotional desires could cause you to have problems in your nervous system as well as with your skin
decent...they certainly got the skin part right. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

It says this about Chris, my name:
Quote:
it is far too emotional and scattering an influence and will not allow the material accumulation nor personal happiness you should have.
Thanks alot Mom. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 02:45 PM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

I entered Pippin and got a ridiculously innaccurate analysis, so I entered Peregrin instead:

Quote:
Your name of Peregrin gives you the ability to be creative along practical lines of endeavour. Your ideas can be very original and inventive. You enjoy being with people in a social environment. Your personal appearance is important to you, for you desire to make a good impression on others. Your pleasant manner attracts people to you with their problems and you are capable of offering practical advice, though you would probably not follow such advice yourself. This name causes you to be somewhat too concerned with the personalities, problems, and activities of other people. You seem positive and decisive and can be outspoken in the expression of your opinions, but you lack the self-confidence needed to follow through with your ideas and plans. Procrastination is your downfall. You frequently choose the path of least resistance to avoid your responsibilities. It is not easy for you to overcome obstacles or face issues. This name does you an injustice in that it restricts your success in business and personal pursuits through a lack of ambition. There is a weakness in the fluid functions and in the region of the head resulting in sinus problems, headaches, eye, ear, or throat conditions and related ailments. Hair loss could also be a problem.
Eh...on the whole, not a very good description, though the beginning seems close enough. I don't remember Pippin having chronic headcolds, however.

And then this for Meriadoc:

Quote:
Your name of Meriadoc has made you versatile and creative. There is hardly anything you cannot do if you put your mind to it, but a driving urge leads you to one experience after another, seldom finishing what you start. You cannot find peace of mind or lasting contentment in anything you do. As soon as a challenge is met, boredom sets in, and you yearn for another experience. This restlessness makes it difficult for you to assume responsibility and to establish stable, progressive conditions in your life. You could do well in sales work or in meeting the public where quickness of mind and expression are all important. You have many friends, but lose interest in people very quickly. Your intense mental activity spoils system and concentration, and plays havoc with relaxation and sleep. Out of your quick thinking has been borne hasty speech. Acting on impulse instead of with forethought has led to many disappointments and bitter experiences. Your whole nervous system could be affected by the intense emotional influence of this name.
At least it's better than "Merry", that one painted a picture of a dark and moody nature. Seriously, enter it yourself and see.

My own results said that I'm easy-going and refined, diplomatic and good at giving advice. I laugh. But more accurately, they also said that I procrastinate and lack ambition, and don't follow my own advice. Oh, shut up...
Old 02-19-2003, 03:45 PM   #10
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elvish sounds different than English, so the analysis is flawed to begin with.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:37 PM   #11
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hmm. I have my doubts about the accuracy of this program as it relates to the sons of the Steward of Gondor:

"As Faramir, you are spontaneous, happy-go-lucky, and you enjoy the company of others--the more the merrier. You make friends easily as people are attracted to your warm and generous nature. However, you have to watch that others do not take advantage of your generosity, for you are apt to be influenced by hard-luck stories and give when it might be more prudent not to. You are ever on the watch for ways and means of making some "easy money" because this name destroys initiative and ambition, producing an easy-going, come-what-may nature which attaches value to money only for the self-enjoyment it can offer. Misunderstandings could exist in your personal life because of this emotional power which you have difficulty controlling and also because of a difficulty in accepting a responsibility and seeing it through. You are apt to leave a project unfinished and go on to something else. Routine and system are foreign to your life, and, of course, these assets are an integral part of any successful undertaking. You are fond of sweets and rich foods and your tendency to eat heavily, causes overweight."

I can see him being influenced by hard-luck stories (Frodo, Eowyn) but not having difficulty in accepting responsibility.

"Your name of Boromir creates a very expressive, versatile, and spontaneous nature. You are happiest when you are associating with people and participating in activities with others. Your name gives you a desire to sing, dance, and have a good time. This name makes you very idealistic, emotional, and temperamental, liking to do things on the spur-of-the-moment and disliking being repressed or held down to monotonous detail. A lack of concentration makes it difficult to establish stable, secure conditions in your business life. In order to bring out the higher side of your nature, you should develop your artistic and creative talents."

Emotional and temperamental seem to fit, but wanting to sing and dance?

Then again, it does say that this is based on using our alphabet. What kind of writing system was used in Gondor?

The "undermining of long term happiness and success" line is to draw you into buying a consultation or something, I think.

-Lily
Old 02-19-2003, 06:13 PM   #12
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
The name of Sauron gives you a very individual, reserved, serious nature. You stick stubbornly to your ideas or decisions, in spite of any appeals or advice; you are not willing to accept a compromise. You prefer to be alone with your own thoughts, rather than in the company of others. This name restricts spontaneity in association and the fluency of your verbal expression. When you are required to express yourself in personal matters requiring finesse and diplomacy, you feel awkward and embarrassed. Although you realize perfectly well what is expected of you, you are unable to find the right words, and hence you end up saying something inappropriate in a candid way. You can express your deeper thoughts and feelings best through writing. Your friendships and personal associations are rather restricted, being limited to those of a similar nature who can understand and accept your rather straightforward yet reserved manner. You are steadfast and loyal, and do not allow gossip or anything belittling to be said against those whom you accept in friendship. You find satisfaction in being outdoors or in getting out into nature, or in dealing with the products of the earth. There is originality and depth of thought contained in this name, particularly along practical and mathematical lines.
Some of this is correct and some is DEFINATELY NOT! Mine was quite wrong, as was the one of Luthien and Sam. Legolas was also pretty wrong. Here's Tom Bombadil's:
Quote:
As Tom, you have a natural interest in the welfare of your fellow man, and a desire to help and serve others in a humanitarian way. You are responsible and generous, although somewhat scattering and disorganized at times. Any jobs requiring systematic and conscientious effort, or involving any form of drudgery, dismay you. In your work, you would seek a position offering self-expression through contact with people, such as sales or teaching, or a position giving scope to your creative, artistic talents. You are good-natured and likeable, and people tend to confide in you and seek your advice in personal problems. Others sense your sincere interest and desire to help, and you can always be counted on to see the bright side of any problem. You enjoy making others happy and you never let your own problems "get you down" for any length of time, even though you do tend to worry too much at times. Your optimism can be a source of inspiration to others as well as yourself. In close personal relationships you are usually thoughtful and considerate.
It's kind of half and half as well. I'm pretty sure that they include some pretty general things so that it applies to lots people. I doubt that there is very much truth behind this. I tminght all just be a hoax, who knows?

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 07:51 PM   #13
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

I don't like this thing... My true name is Aranrúth, but of course, that was not listed so I went for my nickname of Aran. It is telling me that I am sensitive, have my feelings hurt easily, and that I do not express my thoughts well through spoken word. Hah. The first two are most definitely wrong and the third would be only correct if I could not find the English word to fit what I was trying to say. And that has nothing to do with my name. It also basically told me that I would have heart and respiratory problems. How comforting. Heh.

Anyway...Here's what I found for Thranduil and it is pretty true to the common cocensus of what his personality would be like:
Quote:
The name of Thranduil gives you a practical, shrewd nature with interests in business and the world of finance. You judge most things by their material value and you are usually pre-occupied with seeking your own financial independence. You desire to be in a position of leadership, for you can see where all the details fit into the overall situation and you have analytical and organizational ability. You are seldom open to new ideas except those you can prove to yourself in a tangible way. Imaginative, theoretical, or inspirational ideas are of little interest to you. In close association you are not often attentive to the needs of others. It is difficult for you to demonstrate tenderness and warmth and, consequently, personal relationships are not as harmonious as you wish them to be.
Give or take a little here.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:39 AM   #14
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was wondering what sort of person marries their brother, so I typed in Nienna. It said:
Quote:
Your first name of Nienna has given you a responsible, expressive, inspirational, and friendly personality.
Inspirational, hey? thats not good!

Quote:
Self-confidence has made it easy for you to meet people and you are well-liked for your spontaneous, happy ways.
Happy? really?

Quote:
this name is not altogether constructive; it creates a somewhat scattering influence which makes it difficult for you to finish what you start.
uh-oh, they told me that too...(which is completely untrue)

Quote:
This name brings disappointments and emotional involvements
...thats more like it!#

Quote:
While the first name of Nienna has some constructive qualities, it has characteristics that undermine your long-term happiness and success in life.
oh no, it said that for me as well...HELP!!!

this whole stupid system only got one thing right about me, it said that things whir around in my head constantly and I cant sleep (thats paraphrasing a bit!)...everything else is rubbish!
I mean, come on- what about being given another name if you're adopted, or nicknames, or a doublebarrelled name...?

but never mind- Legolas:
Quote:
Your first name of Legolas has given you the vision and foresight to be able to organize others and to hold positions of responsibilities with poise and self-confidence. This name creates an optimistic outlook on life and favourable conditions in your personal affairs. You have the ability to express your thoughts and ideas, and you are friendly, likeable, and generous. You enjoy fun, laughter and congenial association. This name also gives you an appreciation of art, music, drama, or any of the many forms of expression in the arts. Since you are quick and fluent in your expression, you have to guard against boastfulness or dominating a situation.
A lot of that is pretty good, (I especially like 'vision' and 'foresight'!) but then it ruins it:
Quote:
You are likely a big eater, requiring heavy foods to satisfy your appetite. Overeating can affect the bloodstream, causing it to become overheated. In turn, skin problems could result. There could also be weaknesses in the generative organs.
[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote