The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2001, 10:18 PM   #1
Viliel

Sting weird thoughts...

do you ever have a feeling... that you would rather go immedeately to Moria or Dead Marshes or worse than sitting in damn McDonalds or watching damn TV or anything worse... or maybe it's a constant feeling you have?.. just curious [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2001, 10:39 PM   #2
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, that depends. McDonalds, true, is dead bloody awful (please excuse the very feeble pun [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]), but there can be some really good TV programs on in the evening. The Bill's my favourite -- Saturday and Tuesday, 8.30 pm. With a nice cuppa and a couple of slices of toast.
If you said, 'Would you rather be in Moria or the Dead Marshes or something at 8.30 pm, on a Tueday or Saturday evening', then, well, no. Some other times, when I'm bored brainless and there's nothing on but 'Blue Heelers' (very cringeworthy Australian police soapie) i'd take Moria. Not the Dead Marshes though. That's not adventurous, just odourous.

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Gwaihir the Windlord ]
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 11:02 PM   #3
Viliel

Sting

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] you take it too particularly! I mean have you ever felt that your own life is too dull (especially comparing to LOTR) and you dearly would like to appear suddenly among hobbits on Weathertop, or defend Helm's Deep with Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli and Rohirrim, or travel trough Moria with all of us... my question supposed to find out if anybody of you is so 'in' with the story
yesterday a had that kind feeling but now as I smell coffee from the kitchen and serf the Net acspecting a nice breakfast I'm not so sure... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] still...
Old 11-22-2001, 12:43 AM   #4
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

So what your saying is that if your ever so bored you'd want to join in the Fellowship, or Middle Earth's adventures? Sure! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 01:23 AM   #5
antonyn

The Eye

I sometimes have a yearning to be in a place as wild, as natural and as beautiful as Middle Earth. I love all those primeval forces and unspoiled landscapes and that simpler, purer existence.
Old 11-22-2001, 02:58 AM   #6
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with the Balrog...but instead of continually journeying, I think that, for a time at least, I would be content to pick the elanor and wander the golden woods of Lorien
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 10:49 AM   #7
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Eowyn, you're sure you wouldn't want to live in Ithilien? I reckoned you would, considering your name [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Well, I certainly would like to wander around Middle Earth. Just this afternoon I though I'd like a more 'natural' life better than this modern life I'm (we're) living right now. I was riding on my bike through a little wood back from work and all the fallen leaves were very neatly brushed away from the street, while this morning I couldn't see the surface of the street because of all the leaves: soooo very nice and pretty! [my, oh, my, I sure sound like a sweet 16 girl in stead of a young man of 26 [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]]

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 11:12 AM   #8
Isildur

Silmaril

I often wish I were elsewhere besides where I am. Reading the books, I felt very much like I was actually there and I loved it! I can't wait to see the movie and feel like I'm in Middle Earth singing with the Elves. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2001, 11:15 AM   #9
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would like to be in Middle Earth whenever. Not just when I'm bored. Any place... except dead Marchess, too smelly.
Old 11-22-2001, 02:53 PM   #10
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I meant to say that at the start but I missed it!!!! lol *is hopeless*...yes I would love to stay in Ithilien...but only with Faramir
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 06:08 AM   #11
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Sting

My desire to escape usually comes when I'm stressed rather than bored, but yeah, I would love to visit Middle-Earth. Always assuming that they have toilet paper, of course. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Think we could find a travel agency that gives tours?

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 06:54 AM   #12
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sometimes, when I cant sleep at night, I close my eyes and slowly fly as if I was a bird - Im totally in charge of hight and speed - and its always the same route: Hobbiton - woodhall - The ferry - Crickhallow - Old Forrest - House of Bombadil - The Barrow Downs (very speedy) Bree (I even fly inside the Pranching Pony) - Weather Top - on and on an on - you get the picture. Usually I fall a sleep before I get to Rivendell - I have never gotten further than Path Galen - Guess I cant figure out who to follow. But flying low along Anduin and passing through Argonath is a cool experience [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: Telchar ]
Old 11-23-2001, 02:36 PM   #13
Viliel

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Viliel:
<STRONG>...or travel trough Moria with all of us...</STRONG>
hehe just noticed that i've posted 'us' instead of 'them' - probably was already there considering myself to be one of them...
anyway, we desperately need a travel agency. what could it be? something like ArdaTravels or GwaihirAirlines?..
Old 11-25-2001, 06:29 AM   #14
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sod off. I'm not carrying you there; find someone else. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 10:54 AM   #15
Dark Lord of Mordor

Silmaril

Telchar... your post was quite beautiful... do you see Tolkiens map or do you see Middle Earth as if you were on Gwaihir?

I find the idea wonderful and will try it as I drift off to sleep tonight! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2001, 03:10 AM   #16
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I see it all - no maps - Im just there - Its that simple. Its actually no so much flying as just being there - watching in birdsview. But I do get inside Bombadils house and watch the table and the lamps and candles [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2001, 12:26 PM   #17
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viliel, I know exactly what you mean! Often,after I've thought/read a lot about ME and all the people in there and their greate deeds, It's just so irretating to go back in real life. And most of all, sometimes I would like to escape all those people around me who's main worry is what to wear tomorrow. Reading LotR just sometimes makes me feel that compared to their adventures, my life is shallow and boring. (I'm starting to sound like a real whiner...Better stop! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Ps:Telchar, thanks for a greate idea! I'll try it tonight.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 06:29 AM   #18
Tristan

Sting

Apart from in our minds eye, withing a few decades we should be able to travel to middle earth via Virtual Reality.

In the mean time, I am happy using my imagination and going to see the movies.

Also, what do my fellow members think of the LOTR swords at this site:
http://www.triadbusinessonline.com/b...ftherings.html

Looking forward to your replies!
Old 12-13-2001, 04:30 AM   #19
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I guess I'm an idealist. LOTR is clean of compromises. Innocent. There is a right choice. Usually I've found there's no clear path, or all choices are mixed. The LotR is a bath, washing clean of the politics I deal with, day in and day out. The mountains.. I can put on my backpack and retreat, hike for five days in the Cascades, where I hear nothing but the rivers and waterfalls cascading in my mind, and I return to civilization dirty, half-wild and free.
Old 12-14-2001, 08:29 AM   #20
Fenrir
Wight

Fenrir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Siege of Gondor seems like a wonderful experience when I'm in a maths lesson...
Give me the Dead Marshes over real life any day.
Old 12-15-2001, 03:53 PM   #21
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Ionia Luffs Reindeer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Sting

I get that entire "I wish I was there instead of here" vibe when I'm reading nearly any really good book... but I must say Tolkien's the worst (best?) for influencing it...

Mostly in school. Driver's Ed is the worst. Sitting behind that wheel getting yelled at for going too slow (don't ask) makes one want to be anywhere in Middle Earth. Preferably Rivendell. I've always imagined that Rivendell would be eternally breathtaking... Much better to lounge about under the trees singing with the elves than wonder why people can't use their blinkers.

*sigh* Now I hate to get back to real life. Let's all set up a permanent colony of LOTR-style life, and get called insane by legions of Real-Worlders. I call the first set of pointy ears.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:46 PM   #22
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Ha! My driver's ed instructor didn't realize my mom had a restricted license once, for too many speeding tickets, else he would have been prepared!

We have an LotR colony. Welcome to it!

[ December 15, 2001: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 12-16-2001, 12:27 AM   #23
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Ionia Luffs Reindeer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Sting

I just wanna say "LOL" to so many aspects of the above reply ^_^
Old 12-25-2001, 08:58 PM   #24
Elendil
Haunting Spirit

Elendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I never really felt at home in this world and the next best world I know is in LOTR. It just seems to fit better.
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 10:08 PM   #25
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

After seeing the movie on last Thursday, I certainly felt that my life was a bit dull and devoid of magic. But of course, I still stand at the beginning of it, so I may change my mind yet.
Right now, I do lament the fact that I have to contend with men, especially the ones that occupy my world! (I have heard rumours of decent males who are capable of more than constant attempts to get me in bed, but so far, have yet to get close to one). I would much rather be with Legolas. And I do find Rivendell a bit more appealing than say, Charlotte, North Carolina.
But what can I do? I've been given
this life, and the least I can do is try to live it well. Maybe, when we die, we are given the choice of what world to occupy. And perhaps there is a Middle Earth out there, not simply a dream of J.R. Tolkien. Perhaps the elves and the hobbits and the rest came alive in his mind by no mere accident. In Russia, there is a saying: "No writer writes in vain."
If indeed Middle Earth exists somewhere beyond the boundaries of our lives, then I will see you all there. Someday.
Love,
Lush (being terribly poetic and fanciful tonight...must be the red wine)
Old 12-31-2001, 03:17 AM   #26
Evil Anya
Animated Skeleton

Evil Anya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Evil Anya
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Elendil:
<STRONG>I never really felt at home in this world and the next best world I know is in LOTR. It just seems to fit better.</STRONG>
This is exactly how i feel. I feel like I would be a better person if i lived in Middle-Earth because then i could atlast be myself.
Evil Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 02:26 PM   #27
Turgon_of_Gondolin
Pile O'Bones

Turgon_of_Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turgon_of_Gondolin
Sting

I love the world of LotR and would give almost anything to be with the group in Moria slaying orcs or riding with the Rohhirim over the fields to Minas Tirith. I would wish the most to be in Middle Earth after Morgoth was defeated to live with the elves [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
It would be a Marvelous thing to live in a world that was so alive and active. That is why I roleplay all the time. It makes me feel that I'm makeing the story and it is great.
Turgon_of_Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 02:37 PM   #28
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Ulmo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Sometimes when my wife is yelling at me, I picture myself in a Harad brothel, surrounded by beautiful Haradrim ladies. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Ulmo ]
Lord of the seas and one of the greatest of the Valar; in the dark days of the First Age, he kept watch on Elves and Men while the others of his order remained in Valinor. He is famed for bringing Tuor to Gondolin, and so ultimately bringing about the downfall of Morgoth in the War of Wrath.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 01:49 AM   #29
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Ulmo, for your sake, I hope your wife NEVER comes across this forum. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
However, I know where you're coming from. Whenever I find myself studying the dinner-napkin on another boring date, I picture myself in Mirkwood. Enough said.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:58 AM   #30
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Pippin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lol
Old 01-03-2002, 10:06 AM   #31
Yaish
Pile O'Bones

Yaish has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yaish
Sting

Lush, have you ever read any Robert Heinlein? (Is it faux pas to mention other authors in here? Certainly hope not!)

Heinlein explores the idea of the World as Myth. That is that every time someone writes a story, or creates a play, etc... those characters spring into being somewhere. That there are innumerable universes out there inhabited by John Carter of Mars, Hobbits, Dorothy and the Tin Man, Alice and the White Rabbit, etc...
Yaish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:54 AM   #32
Thalionkrisiel

Sting

When I can't sleep I often imagine myself in Tom Bombadil's cottage [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] For some reason that really relaxes me!
Old 09-03-2002, 02:10 AM   #33
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i've have it all the time especially near woods i just have an desire to run off!! i'm doing D of E and i really don't see the need for tents and sleeping bags.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:53 AM   #34
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Do I wish I was in Middle Earth? All the time. 24/7. I even do imagine myself there. Not just at night but like when I'm in the car or anywhere. I'll make up my own little stories inside my head. I'll close my eyes and say, "Well Frodo, Where are we going today?"

And it's not just with LotR. It happens with alot of books I read.

Do you think PJ still has the LotR sets up in New Zealand. Like Rivendell, Hobbiton, and Edoras. Cause it would be cool just to go and walk around the sets and feel like I'll actually walking to the frount door of Bag End.

I like Lush's idea about there being somwhere a real Middle Earth. It's kind of like the Neverending Story. Where as long as we belive it will be there waiting for us.
Or like in The Chronicles of Narnia where the children relize that what we think of as life is only a shadow of what it really out there.

Well there are alot of people registered on this forum. If we could all belive in ME then I bet it will just pop into reality somwhere.

Hope to see you there. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2002, 11:13 AM   #35
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

Do I wish I were in Middle Earth? YES, all the time! I'd rather be anywhere in ME, then here. I guess you could say I crave adventure, the kind of adventure not possible in real life. I've just always pretened I was off somewhere else. I'd rather be in the Dead Marshes then have no adventure at all.
I believe there is something better out there. I can't help thinking that somewhere there has to be something better. Just has to be.
Lush pretty much said what I would have said. I do believe there is a real middle-earth somewhere..even if we can only get there through our minds.

To sum it all up, this is exactly how I feel:
"I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can sastify, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C.S. Lewis

Quote:
If indeed Middle Earth exists somewhere beyond the boundaries of our lives, then I see you all there. Someday.
(Well said, and I agree)

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 11:20 AM   #36
Melichus
Haunting Spirit

Melichus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I mean have you ever felt that your own life is too dull (especially comparing to LOTR) and you dearly would like to appear suddenly among hobbits on Weathertop, or defend Helm's Deep with Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli and Rohirrim, or travel trough Moria with all of us...

Goodness, yes!!
"The other [theme] had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony...and it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern..."
Melichus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 01:25 PM   #37
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, we don't have a Micky D's in my little town so going there is actually pretty exciting! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] But back to your question, yes, sometimes I do, but I also wish that I was on Star Trek or a super star or super hero or.... well you get the picture. Dreaming about things that will never happen.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:36 PM   #38
Keeper of the Feet of Melkor
Animated Skeleton

Keeper of the Feet of Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Lets face it, the whole point of fantasy books is to give us the adventure we dont have in life. When we read, we're not at home. We're in M-E, Sendaria...all the places that are better than here. And even tho when we're done a book we realize how crappy our lives really are, its still nice to sit down and think about what youd be doing if you were a charater in one of the books youve read...but then again...maybe Im just crazy
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2002, 02:02 PM   #39
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ya, I've done that. I'll tell my family I'm going to Middle Earth and then go read LotR. LOL!
Old 09-03-2002, 02:23 PM   #40
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not generally an adventurous person, but having been to work for just 2 days (with 10 months still ahead) I think I'm ready to go anywhere - to Moria full of orks, to Dead Marshes, to the dragon's lair... Some treasure from there will be most welcome considering how much (or better say how little) I'm paid. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote