The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2003, 10:55 PM   #81
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Walked 5 miles on treadmill at gym - few funny looks, have they never seen a hobbit with cloak and stick walking on a treadmill before??

Linzielf: One of the advantages of having the treadmill at home...my dog doesn't think I look strange in my cloak carrying my bow & quiver. As I continued watching FotR, the Fellowship was formed & continued as far as the Argonath. Tomorrow, I may have to watch the movie again with one of the commentaries or perhaps some of the special features.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:16 AM   #82
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

How about this: Rather than sending me miles at the endof the week (you can if you want) why not put your miles in either your sig or (even better) your location, where it says "From:" in your profile? You'll have to edit your profile when you want your miles updated-- but the benefit of putting it in "from" is, they'll be in all your posts (including rpg's... ) "Road to Rivendell: 40 miles." If you want to save space or add it to what you already have, abbreviate it to "RtR: 40mi"

Heh. Now all we need is a secret online handshake... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 10:29 AM   #83
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Great idea to put the miles in the location - that's what I've done. (20 miles within my first week isn't too bad...)

I love my solitary walks; they clear my head for the day. However, I have decided that walking is a good time to learn some of the poems by heart. I'm going to write them on cards, put them in my pocket, and see how many I can memorize by the time I get to Rivendell!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:39 PM   #84
Keowyn

Sting

I did a quick three miles yesterday - my first - and was all excited to get started today until I got out of bed! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] But a handfull of aspirin and a desire to get back on the road to adventure got me out the door for my next three. Anybody else sore?
Old 04-02-2003, 12:50 PM   #85
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dūm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm on my way! Started gently today with one mile (I think, is a mile about 1.6km?)Me being lazy might be one of the reason why I didn't walk any longer, but the main reason is that this is not the 'Walk to the Dead Marshes'-challenge. The snow has finally started melting properly up here in the cold north, and Norway has been transformed into a swamp. Yes, it's April. No, it's not really spring yet. We've had snow since October... *sulks* [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I'll probably have to walk tomorrow, looks like the bus drivers are going on strike. That'll be at least eight miles, carrying my books from school. Through the dead marshes. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 12:51 PM   #86
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Silmaril

Well I just got back from ice-skating, the competition. I came first! I would have hoped so for all that hard work I put into it! I actually gave up two whole days on BD! It was hard [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img], seeing that I am a BarrowDwsaolic, which I believe we all are [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]! Sadly I can not do any excises this whole week do to the facts that this training has made me crippled. But it is hard to get first place you know! So that is my story of the week!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:05 PM   #87
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Welcome vanwalossien to the Road, and welcome Keowyn to the Road and to the Downs!

And yes, I've had some sore moments. Stretching and the occasional hot soak helps a great deal (Sing Hey! for the bath at close of day!) Alternating footwear also helps.

[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-02-2003, 01:28 PM   #88
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My feet were tender this morning (I was informed by my father that there was glass on the bridge, I encountered none thankfully) but my muscles are fine.

1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most? Pippin
2. Why? He always seems the most cheerful and has a small tendancy to blabber and is juat bouncy like me. (I am aware that only barely made sense)
3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more? Gaddy Boffin
4. Where did that hobbit come from? (Fanfic? RPG? Tolkien?) The Long Winter RPG, he's very dreamy and in his own little world an awful lot.
5. What's your favorite walking song? I prefer to sing oe of the various marching tunes I know
6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song? "Ho! Ho! Ho! To the bottle I go..."
7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it? I fitted it to the tune of the movie adaptation.
8. What's your primary method of getting to Rivendell? (Walking, running, biking... etc.) Biking do far
9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? (walking running etc.) Walking
10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her? Bumble
11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why? Until I get my hands on a tinwhistle, a recorder. Because it's something interesting to do when you're not singing.
12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos? Just my dog as of yet, but I'm working on it.
13. Many of you have or will post quotes from the book about walking-- but for this quiz, pick one that stands out the most in your mind, and then tell us why you like it or what it means to you. I'll get back to you on that one.
14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not? No
What you can/cannot tolerate/enjoy about the Shire that we're leaving behind:
15. Pipes: yes or no?
No!
16. Ale: yes or no? No.
17. Gardens: Yes or no? If yes, would you rather walk through, or weed & dig? Yes, to walk though but my own is rather overgrown and come summer you can be sure that the stinging nettles will be all around
18. Living below ground: yes or no? If it was all built probably then yes.
19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no? Yes!
20. Huge parties: yes or no? Yes.
21. What you like the least about The Shire? Get back to you, this requires real thought.
22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)? Bywater
23. Where you would settle in for the winter? Tuckborough sounds good to me.
24. What would your hobbittish proffession be? Stablehand
25. This one is for Dragoneyes: Will you try walking barefoot at some point, and what is your plan for doing it safely? I shall try again, this time I will be completely sure there is no glass and next time it will be warmer and less wet and all round less messy.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:29 PM   #89
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh what a lovely day in our corner of ME! Got up in the 70’s, hard to believe after snow on Sunday! The peepers are out and making a deafening noise and flowers are just starting to bloom.

Never fear vanwalossien, spring is coming and the Dead Marshes will come alive, (egads what a thought). Let me rephrase that. They will be green once more!

My young hobbit walking companion almost did a Frodo falls head first into the bog the other day. It was a reenactment I vigorously discouraged, especially on blustery wet mornings! She likes to startle Mom.

Tonight we were out past nightfall walking. She was kicking a rock along until it was lost in the gloom and she almost kicked a frog by mistake! We walked rather carefully after that, glad to be wearing shoes….

Feet and muscles are doing surprisingly well, but shins are another matter. I had thought it was the cold weather but after today that theory has been discarded.

Wow, the list of “All About You” stuff will take a chunk of time to figure out. Some I don’t have to think about, but so many entail difficult decisions. I’ll have to save it for a rainy day or take it out with me to ponder. Hmm…where would I settle for winter? Tough one…..Pipes… I don’t suppose you mean plumbing? I do love plumbing, particularly the indoor variety. Profession...I would say cobbler but I imagine I'd starve to death!

Yikes, Helen your going to be in Rivendell before summer! Forty Miles? Keep up the good work. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Be safe, rest up and have a good day tomorrow folks!

[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:44 AM   #90
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

No strike. I walked anyway. Well, not all the way, but I need two buses to get home from school, I just took one, and walked the rest of the way. I'm so proud of myself! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Helen, you might end up being accused of turning me into a healthy kind of person... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2003, 09:07 AM   #91
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

vanwalossien, that kind of accusation I can handle!

Hilde, Esty will catch me; she did her 20 miles in one week! I had a head start. But I am finding this a bit addicting. The woods in the morning, fields and a water view at noon (I work near the bay)-- and then of course, my dogs need a trip around the block before bedtime.

I used to think I would have nowhere to take a hobbit rambling if one showed up in my neighborhood. I've changed my mind! I "found" an absolutely gorgeous "nature trail" (marked and everything) one mile from my house. It overlooks a slow swampy river. I hope there are no bears, but I had to step over a deer skeleton! Coyotes! The dogs stay on leashes.

In terms of hobbits showing up in my neighborhood: so far all the hobbits who've showed up are rather tall. But tall hobbits are better than none. Maybe Raefindel will visit someday (HINT) and I'll be graced with a short elf, and that'll make up for the tall hobbits.

[ April 03, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #92
Salix
Shade of Carn Dūm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Unfortunately, my progress has been stalled. On Monday, it was lovely, plus 20 Celcius, and sunny. On Tuesday though, it grew cloudy, and started to snow. Today, it was -12 and there is about 5-10 cm of snow on the ground. I walked about a kilometre yesterday, but that's all I have been able to do.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:53 AM   #93
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

"When Winter first begins to bite
And trees crack in the frosty night,
When pools are black and trees are bare,
'Tis evil in the wild to fare."

Hang in there, Salix! Spring can't be that far away. How far north are you?
Old 04-03-2003, 11:17 AM   #94
Salix
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

I live in Canada, but nearish to US border. I don't consider myself very far north. The funny thing is, at my school, the student bulletin had a note that said "Blizzard in the afternoon" as an April Fools day note, and it started snowing in the afternoon. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2003, 01:40 PM   #95
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Good Morrow Hobbits, Elves and others. I have updated My "From" section below my signature and you can see I'm not very far on this walk of ours. No, I'm not doing well for an elf; though I must say I do not agree with Gildor and his fellows Elves who said
Quote:
But we have no need of other company and Hobbits are so dull.
I would be glad of company on my trek; even the company of a Hobbit.

Welcome Ranger Jewel to the Downs and to our little expedition. Do feel free to entertain us with your favorite quotes and walking songs.

An here is my compelted survey and my thanks to Mark12:30 for her time spent on compiling it.

1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most? Definately Merry.

2. Why? I tend to see as Merry as the most practical. He Thought ahead to arrange the baths and all the ponies and provisions and averted many an argument and disaster before it ever could occur.

3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more? Bilbo & Frodo

5. What's your favorite walking song? I'm not sure I have a favorite, but I do always sing when I'm walking.

6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song? I'm glad you asked! Here's the first stanza:

Upon the hearth the fire is red,
Beneath the roof the is a bed;
But not yet weary are our feet,
Still round the corner we may meet
A sudden tree or standing stone
That none have seen but we alone.
Tree and flower leaf and grass,
Let them pass! Let them pass!
Hill and water under sky,
Pass them by! Pass them by!

7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it? Yes, but it never seems to be the same tune every time.

8. What's your primary method of getting to Rivendell? (Walking, running, biking... etc.)

Walking

9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? (walking running etc.)

Swimming

10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her? Raven

11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why? Either a cup of coffee or a favorite book for those rest-stops.

12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos? Only you on-line companions.

13. Many of you have or will post quotes from the book about walking-- but for this quiz, pick one that stands out the most in your mind, and then tell us why you like it or what it means to you.
I seem to elicit the same interest as the fox had for the sleeping Hobbits;

" 'Hobbits!' he thought. 'Well what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this' He was quite right but never found out any more about it."

14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not? Yes, but I'm an Elf and have therefore not yet come of age. As you know, Elves come of age to 50.

What you can/cannot tolerate/enjoy about the Shire that we're leaving behind: The way others tend to pry and gossip.

15. Pipes: yes or no? If you nean pipes to smoke, NO! If you mean pipes to play, YES!

16. Ale: yes or no? Not until I get home, lest I should snap my fingers at the black riders like you hobbits did after drinking the liquor Gildor left you. I will occasionally have some Irish cream (Or should I call it "Elven Cream") in my coffee.
And YES! ELVES DO DRINK COFFEE!

17. Gardens: Yes or no? If yes, would you rather walk through, or weed & dig?
Gardens? ABSOLUTELY! Weed, dig or walk through, It doesn't matter to me, I enjoy all three.

18. Living below ground: yes or no? I'd prefer a tree, but will manage underground if I must.

19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no?
Yes!

20. Huge parties: yes or no? Small parties are more fun.

21. What you like the least about The Shire?
Not sure I could answer that one. It seems a lovely place to me.

22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)? In a nice sunny spot near the Baranduin. I love water.

23. Where you would settle in for the winter?
Where is it warmest in the Shire?

24. What would your hobbittish proffession be? I'm a cobbler by trade, but I guess you hobbits are in little need of shoes... I always have gardening to fall back on...

[ April 03, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 04-03-2003, 02:39 PM   #96
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Remind me to NEVER go hiking again. My boyfriend grabbed me and said come lets go picnicking. So I thought oh how much fun. So he takes me to the place and asks “Why have you got such a big picnic basket? You never going to make it up there with that are you”. I was scared by what he meant…what did he mean? Six hours later I was on top of the mountain tired and saw. So now I am saw and I never want to walk again. I wonder how many miles I walked…
Old 04-03-2003, 02:52 PM   #97
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Time for a new boyfriend!
Old 04-03-2003, 03:08 PM   #98
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

Of Topic
You got that right lol… shame! Well he is a really good boyfriend you know! Who do you think gets me to do my homework when I really don’t want to, who makes me have fun when I don’t want to… Kyle does!
Old 04-03-2003, 03:15 PM   #99
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

***Six hours*** from the base of the mountain to the top? And then six back down again?

So you're saying 12 hours total walking??? Yeow! Niluial you footweary traveller you! (Take a nice hot bubble-bath! Sing hey for the bath at close of day...)

Well, how far is that? Going up the mountain I'll guess 12 x 2. Do you think you were walking 2 miles/ hour or 3 miles/ hour? 3 is awfully fast for mountain climbing, I'd guess two.

So twenty-four miles. If it's a little over, I'd say so what!

Niluial zooms past the rest of us, hair streaming in the wind...

[ April 03, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-03-2003, 07:07 PM   #100
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Now Helen, here I went and walked 7 mi. today to try to catch up with you but found you apparently got 7 mi. in too. Go figure! Now I’m no closer to you and further from Estelyn. Unless Estelyn had good weather too! Ah, here we go…Niluial & Raefindel appear to be in the vicinity. Hallo there!

I also have a nice trail precisely 1 mile from home, basically a high road through swampy woods right now. Saw signs of horses… or maybe they were ponies. So glad to be able to go off road now.

Raefindel, are you a cobbler in real life? I was seriously considering going to a school for it when I lived near such a school in Baltimore, (about 20 years ago). Seems like good honest work. And being an elf you probably could make a fine living!
Old 04-03-2003, 10:49 PM   #101
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

No Hilde, I'm a floral designer. Just making Hobbit jokes. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

7 miles? wow! I haven't done that is a while (not since I started working again)

[ April 03, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 04-04-2003, 11:18 AM   #102
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hilde, you're a peach! I'm glad you've got a nice trail near you. You'll probably gain on me today. I'm under the weather temprarily, and the weather is something to be under: raw and misty and windy, a regular seaside "spring". (But I love it; it reminds me of Scotland an Scotland reminds me of hobbiton and The Wild.) I did not walk this morning, and although I'll walk tonight, it probably won't be seven miles...

If I remember correctly:

Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many a mile be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie
and watch the clouds go sailing by.

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-04-2003, 12:03 PM   #103
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Floral design, now that is something I admire, (another honest job). It seems all I can do to put the flowers right side up in the vase! And thanks for expounding on Merry’s virtues! Did my heart good!

Helen, don’t know if I will gain much today. Very cold rain out, maybe snow tonight. Did get in a couple miles this morning, though. Got to see the first light of dawn!

I have a confession; I think I’m probably walking on the flattest section of ME of anybody. I greatly applaud those of you with more hilly terrain, more power to you! And to your legs!

Still working on that rainny day project!
Old 04-04-2003, 12:41 PM   #104
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Ai! I would love to give it a shot, but it seems that everyone already has a huge head start on me! Guess I have a lot of work to do [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:59 PM   #105
Salix
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

I'm way behind everyone else, cause it's been snowing for three days straight. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] I can't catch up on the weekend either, because I'm probably going to be taking my wilderness first aid.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:00 PM   #106
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dūm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Have no fear, I'm at the rear as well *Lol*

I've covered a wonderful three miles and then the skies opened up and it's been nothing but rain and hail since (Raefindel, you're from WA too right?) I really need a treadmill if I'm ever going to catch up!

<<edit>> The sun! The sun! Green Hill Country here I come!

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: Rochelle ]

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:15 PM   #107
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most?

Frodo

2. Why?

He was a bit of a wanderer, as far as hobbits go.

3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more?

Dearest Bilbo

4. Where did that hobbit come from? (Fanfic? RPG? Tolkien?)

I believe we all know who Bilbo is [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

5. What's your favorite walking song?

I don't think this is considered a walking song, but it's what I sing while I walk.
God is good, all the time.
He put this song of praise
In this heart of mine.
Through the darkest night,
his light will shine.
God is good, God is good ,
all the time.

6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song?

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
Any whither then? I cannot say.

7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it?

I do sing it, but to a tune I made up.

8. What's your primary method of getting to Rivendell? (Walking, running, biking... etc.)

Walking

My elliptical trainer.

10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her?

Cambell

11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why?

I'd have a book (whatever I'm reading at the time) just in case I found a good spot.

12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos?

My daughter is accompanying me on my walks, although she is enjoying them from her seat in her stroller.

13. Many of you have or will post quotes from the book about walking-- but for this quiz, pick one that stands out the most in your mind, and then tell us why you like it or what it means to you.

I'll post this later.

14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not? Not yet.

What you can/cannot tolerate/enjoy about the Shire that we're leaving behind:

The hobbit simplicity. If only the world could be like the Shire. Oh, and my garden of course, and getting presents on everyone's birthdays. There is so much...

15. Pipes: yes or no? only if they can blow bubbles.

16. Ale: yes or no? Maybe a little.

Yes! Anything to do with my garden sounds good to me.

18. Living below ground: yes or no?

If my hole was airy and had a lot a sunlight, then maybe. But like Raefindel, I would prefer a tree.

19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no? Yes

20. Huge parties: yes or no? Yes!

Nosy neighbors?

22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)?

Woodhall

I don't know. Somewhere in the South Farthing, maybe?

24. What would your hobbittish proffession be?

Exactly what I want to do in this world...be a hobbit psychologist. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

25. This one is for Dragoneyes: Will you try walking barefoot at some point, and what is your plan for doing it safely?

I might try if we can get to a park with trails, but not on the streets where I live.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:34 PM   #108
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Well, I'm not getting rain here, but there's plenty of raw wind and cold mist! Not exactly inviting.

Quote:
I don't think this is considered a walking song, but it's what I sing while I walk.
That works, alaklondewen! We sing that too sometimes; it never occurred to me as a walking song but it will now.

Tigerlily, enjoy! The idea is motivation & encouragement, not guilt or pressure. For me, it has been a huge blessing to just get outdoors, and see trees, and rivers, and rocks, and large areas of blue sky.

There's even the occasional deer skeleton (gah!) That was Thursday morning... quite an eye-opener. I had to step over it, too. I'm betting it was coyotes.

Another source of motivation has been this silly pedometer gadget, not bad for eight bucks.

Another neat motivation is going to be the growing collection of "walking" songs!

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-04-2003, 05:44 PM   #109
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dūm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

**Well I went bike riding today...the sun was shining and it was great! However, my legs now feel like jelly after going only 4.5 miles *lol* What can I say? We should get "extra credit" for hills, that's all thats around western Washington [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The trail I rode on has a lot of marshlands surrounding it, and my white sweatshirt looked like the front of a van when I was done! All those dead bugs...ew! Well I guess I'm still in Hobbiton after 7.5 miles *lol* **

Now for my survey thingy!

1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most? I'm going to say Frodo.

2. Why? He was very responsible, and knew when to have a good time, and when it was time to settle down to business. He didn't necessarily want to be in a leadership role, but he was able to get a job done when it needed to be done (ie getting the ring to Mt. Doom!) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more? I think all of the hobbits have something I can relate to.

5. What's your favorite walking song?
I love to go awandering

6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song? Let's see here....it would have to be an Old Walking Song [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.

7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it? Usually I can't remember all the words *lol* so I sing random lines to random tunes.

walking

biking/horseback riding

10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her? *lol* Well I guess you could say I ride a few horses from Rohan [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But if I had a nice stout shire pony I would have to call him Tubby

11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why? *lol* defibrilator...just in case my heart stops from overexertion!

12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos? I'm the lonely wanderer...with y'all to talk to after the fact!

"It's a dangerous business...Frodo, going out your door. You step out onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

That was more of a movie quote than anything, but it stuck with me! When you're walking, you have time to think and your imagination can explore new worlds. So make sure you have your wits about you or you'll walk to far and have to call someone to bring you back!

14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not? Nope, I guess you could consider me in my hobbit middle teenage years [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

What you can/cannot tolerate/enjoy about the Shire that we're leaving behind: The lack of privacy

15. Pipes: yes or no? No pipes for me, that's one thing I could never understand. We all know that smoking does bad things to your lungs...how could they walk 458 miles and more with the amount they puffed away? Especially Gandalf *lol*

16. Ale: yes or no? No ale for me!

I love the beauty of nature, and gardens are definatly the most colorful form! I'm more of a walk and see kinda hobbit...I'll let sam do the diggin!

18. Living below ground: yes or no? I suppose if it had adequate lighting I could manage!

19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no?
sure why not?

20. Huge parties: yes or no? if they all bring gifts I say go right on ahead and have a big party! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

No horses...I'd definatly prefer Rohan over any other land.

22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)? Well it would take me all summer to get there, but I think Rohan would be just delightful!

My nice cozy hobbit hole [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

24. What would your hobbittish profession be? Well your shire ponies will need shire shoes, so I think I'd take up responsibility as the shire farrier *loL*

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:48 PM   #110
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Tigerlily, don't let your heart be troubled, the miles go quickly, (especially on sunny days)!

And Salix, sounds like you will be a good travel companion knowing wilderness first aid!
Do you know where to look for athelas?
  • 1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most?

A bit with all I suppose
  • 2. Why?

A diverse personality?
  • 3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more?

Absolutely! Fredegar Bolger (low-profile, helpful, practical and loves to sleep!)
  • 4. Where did that hobbit come from? (Fanfic? RPG? Tolkien?)

the good professor
  • 5. What's your favorite walking song?

Old YES tunes keep springing to mind and hymns
  • 6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song?

Today its...

"To Rivendell, where Elves yet dwell,
    In glades beneath the misty fell,
    Though moor and waste we ride in haste,
    And whither then we cannot tell."

Suits the weather.
  • 7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it?

not really, just spoken word
  • 8. What's your primary method of getting to Rivendell? (Walking, running, biking... etc.)

walking
  • 9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? (walking running etc.)

walking, being a bit of a purist
  • 10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her?

Boots (the poor thing)
  • 11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why?

Paper and pencil might come in handy!
  • 12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos?

With my daughter or solo so far
  • 13. Many of you have or will post quotes from the book about walking-- but for this quiz, pick one that stands out the most in your mind, and then tell us why you like it or what it means to you.

Eek! If a find one I will be sure to post it, but at the moment I'm reading HoME vol 1 and it will be awhile before I come around to LoTR again.
  • 14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not?

Most assuredly
  • 15. Pipes: yes or no?

Don't smoke, so wouldn't miss it. But I will miss my cookies!
  • 16. Ale: yes or no?

Give me water and I'm good to go.
  • 17. Gardens: Yes or no? If yes, would you rather walk through, or weed & dig?

Oh yes! The woods are just one big unkempt garden,though I don't think I'd like to weed them.
  • 18. Living below ground: yes or no?

Sniff, oh now I'm getting homesick. Underground is perfect.
  • 19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no?

Plan to teach the elves the Sprinkle Ring in Rivendell. Care to join in?
  • 20. Huge parties: yes or no?

Not really
  • 21. What you like the least about The Shire?

the gossip
  • 22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)?

Woody End or Crickhollow sound good
  • 23. Where you would settle in for the winter?

Ithilien
  • 24. What would your hobbittish profession be?

Metalworker or Hawker. "Get your bread here! Fresh baked bread!"
  • 25. This one is for Dragoneyes: Will you try walking barefoot at some point, and what is your plan for doing it safely? Yes, preferably walking on grass or in a creek with both my eyes open!

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 04-04-2003, 08:45 PM   #111
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Tarvasa has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hi! I'm Tarvasa! New to the boards and I found your walking to Rivendell program! It looks like so much fun and seeing that, I, erm, have a little weight problem, this might be a good idea! I hope it is not to late for me to join? I am on a swim team in the summer and I bike for an hour every day. I'm still gonna try and walk, though.
Tarvasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:03 PM   #112
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Tarvasa, no it's not too late! Welcome to the Downs, and welcome to the Road to Rivendell!
Old 04-04-2003, 09:14 PM   #113
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Tarvasa has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks! I don't think the winter will bother me this time, just the summer. I live way too far down south [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] ah well.
Tarvasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:09 PM   #114
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well it has been weather for hiking but I will be out and about both Saturday and Sunday and hope to log a few miles come rain or snow. Here are my answers to the survey.

1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most?
Frodo

2. Why? He has some very elvish tendencies.

3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more? Bilbo, I love his stories, poems and songs.

4. Where did that hobbit come from? (Fanfic? RPG? Tolkien?) I think we all know.

5. What's your favorite walking song? I don't have a favorite song. What I sing depends on my mood and the area I'm hiking through.

6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song?

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can ...

7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it? I sing it to a tune I made up which seems to fit pretty well.

Hiking

9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? (walking running etc.) Walking.

10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her? Starlight.

11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why? A sketch pad and pencils.

12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos? My daughter and best friend, one elf and one hobbit, walk with me often and are thinking of joining the challenge.

13. Many of you have or will post quotes from the book about walking-- but for this quiz, pick one that stands out the most in your mind, and then tell us why you like it or what it means to you. I don't have my books with me to look up the quote but it is about walking out the front door. I will look it up and post later.

14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not? Yes, however since I'm an elf I have not come of age (50) yet (thank goodness)!

What you can/cannot tolerate/enjoy about the Shire that we're leaving behind: I love the way hobbits enjoy the little every day things.

15. Pipes: yes or no? Not for me but I don't mind if you wish to light up.

16. Ale: yes or no? No thank you. Wine please.

Yes and yes. I enjoy gardening and walking through them.

18. Living below ground: yes or no? I prefer above ground but underground is okay if necessary.

19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no? Yes to any and all dancing.

20. Huge parties: yes or no? Oh, yeh parties. The more the better.

Nosy neighbors.

22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)? On the banks of the Brandywine.

I would want to stay with the Tooks. I think we would have a jolly time.

24. What would your hobbittish proffession be? I would want to have one of the most noble professions in the Shire, cook!

25. This one is for Dragoneyes: Will you try walking barefoot at some point, and what is your plan for doing it safely? Once the weather is warmer I will take to walking on the beach!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:22 PM   #115
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Mae Govannen, Tarvasa! Welcome to the Downs. Yes, Join us on our walk to Rivendell.

alaklondewen, We sang "God is Good" in my church in Calif. I really miss that worship team.

Rochelle, Yes, I live in Port Orchard. I'm a florist on Bay St. And Yes, it was beautiful this morning.

Faenaduial are you an artist?

I went walking after work and Farmer Maggot's dogs chased me. "GRIP, FANG, WOLF!"

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 04-05-2003, 12:39 AM   #116
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello...do you mind if i join? i've done but one mile, and i cant do more at the moment--jogging in place and around the house gets quite dull, as it is 12:30 AM--but i am bound and determined to get myself a walking-stick and do at least two miles tomorrow.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 01:27 AM   #117
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Thanks everyone! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I am eager to get started... the weather lately here has been appauling! Anywho...

* 1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most?

Sam

* 2. Why?

Because I have a strong connection to people and I don't like to be alone in certain cirumstances... and, uh, because I love Frodo [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (especially Frodo my cat!)

* 3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more?

Mmmm... not that I can think of right now.

* 4. Where did that hobbit come from? (Fanfic? RPG? Tolkien?)

* 5. What's your favorite walking song?

Haven't really thought about that... last time I took a long walk I listened to a lot of Irish jigs [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* 6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song?

The Road Goes Ever On and On

* 7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it?

The one from the movie, and the one from the old sheet music I have

* 8. What's your primary method of getting to Rivendell? (Walking, running, biking... etc.)

walking

* 9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? (walking running etc.)

bike or roller blades

* 10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her?

Applejack (My Little Pony name [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ).

* 11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why?

camera... pictures are fun!

* 12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos?

I am a loner, I guess

* 13. Many of you have or will post quotes from the book about walking-- but for this quiz, pick one that stands out the most in your mind, and then tell us why you like it or what it means to you.

"Few foresee whither their road will lead them till they come to its end"

* 14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not?

Oh yes, yes I have

* 15. Pipes: yes or no?

Pipes no

* 16. Ale: yes or no?

Don't know if that would help with the walkin too much

* 17. Gardens: Yes or no? If yes, would you rather walk through, or weed & dig?

Love to walk through gardens as long as there aren't too many bees (I hate bees!)

* 18. Living below ground: yes or no?

I like windows

* 19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no?

Oh yes [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* 20. Huge parties: yes or no?

depends on where they are

* 21. What you like the least about The Shire?

the lack of true adventure

* 22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)?

I get a summer cottage? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* 23. Where you would settle in for the winter?

Somewhere that's warm, but not too warm

* 24. What would your hobbittish profession be?

Perhaps some sort of craft... jewelry making?
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 06:41 AM   #118
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Welcome Horse-Maiden of the Shire!

Tigerlily, your comment about the ale made me smile.

This morning my hounds and I got rained on a little... but it wasn't too bad. The risky thing was that the ground was frozen and the fallen leaves had an ice-coat on them! I thought I was skating in some places instead of hiking.

Alaklondewen, guess what this morning's tune was? God is good... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
'All right!' said Pippin. 'I will follow you into every bog and ditch. But it is hard! I had counted on passing the Golden Perch at Stock before sundown. The best beer in the Eastfarthing, or used to be: it is a long time since I tasted it.'
[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-05-2003, 08:28 AM   #119
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Pippin
2. Why? He is more adventurous than most( being a Took), and does a lot of silly things even though he not really that stupid.

3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more?

4. Where did that hobbit come from? (Fanfic? RPG? Tolkien?)

5. What's your favorite walking song? If I sang I'd destroy someone's ears. I'll stick to listening to music...
6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song? The Road goes ever on

7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it? I don't sing it at all, due to the already mentioned lack of musical talent

Walking

9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? (walking running etc.) Biking

10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her? Sunrise

11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why? My MD, so I can listen to music

12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos? Alone. I like my solitude

13. Many of you have or will post quotes from the book about walking-- but for this quiz, pick one that stands out the most in your mind

14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not? Nope. I haven't come of age in Norway either.

15. Pipes: yes or no? Definetly not. Smoking kills.

16. Ale: yes or no? Nope. I'm too underage and too fond of Fanta [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Yes. Both. I love gardens, I just got home from Paris two weeks ago, I loved the parks!

18. Living below ground: yes or no? I live under the ground, my room is in the basement. Cozy.
19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no? Er, no..

20. Huge parties: yes or no? Parties, yes, huge, no thanks.
Nosy neighbors, and everybody knows each other.

22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)? In Hobbiton

Bree, or Buckland

24. What would your hobbittish proffession be? Innkeeper..?

25. This one is for Dragoneyes: Will you try walking barefoot at some point, and what is your plan for doing it safely? Sure. I'm used to walking barefoot, but the snow's gotta melt first...
Old 04-05-2003, 08:58 AM   #120
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well I've done lots of working out this week! I think I'll be finished with this in no time ... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]! I feel healthy and happy! I actually just got back from a nice healthy jog! Here is a tip 'Eat Healthy Foods' it makes you go faster! I have always been a vegetarian. Last night I sunk my teeth into a juicy (light) veggie burger. My sisters the unhealthy brat didnt eat it and went to bed with out anything. She had toast for breakfast (I had fruit) and she came jogging with me, the first ten minutes she was flat out. So eat healthy light foods! I know you probably know that but I am just reminding you … [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]!